PDA

View Full Version : Raw milk. What's your opinion?

Jonken
11-22-08, 7:25 am
Im thinking of buying some Raw milk from a farm close to my summerhouse. I've heard its really beneficial while training (and not training). Since all the enzymes are still "alive".

What do you guys think of raw milk? Whats your experience from it?

SQUAT or DIE!
11-22-08, 10:44 am
the fat content will be higher than normal, and all the microbes may improve digestion, but you have to be careful about disease.. heating it kills all the bad stuff, but some goo stuff too.. i say try it!

BTW it will taste different than normal milk your used to

Jonken
11-22-08, 11:53 am
thanks for warning me, dont want to get some strange sickness.

i read some about that stuff. As long as the cows are grass fed, or fed with organic food without pesticides it should be free from diseases. And since its pretty much friends to the family it will be easy for me to make sure the milk is fine.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-22-08, 11:57 am
as long as the cow is healthy and fed well it shouldnt be a major issue... people have drunk raw milk for centuries.. but its just a heads up, i think a major issue is refrigeration thats where the majority of the issues will come from,

Jonken
11-22-08, 12:02 pm
as long as the cow is healthy and fed well it shouldnt be a major issue... people have drunk raw milk for centuries.. but its just a heads up, i think a major issue is refrigeration thats where the majority of the issues will come from,

ok thanks a lot dude. You saying i should not use the refrigerator when i have raw milk? I know people use to freeze the milk.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-22-08, 12:06 pm
ok thanks a lot dude. You saying i should not use the refrigerator when i have raw milk? I know people use to freeze the milk.

im saying you really should refrigerate it, freezing would make it last longer.. if its not kept cold the potential for bad bacteria to grow is exponential, like in normal milk but worse. in normal milk they heat it to kill bacteria, if you have raw milk its obvously not heated and the bacteria are alive so if you dont keep it cold, could be bad..

dont want to scare you out of drinkin it, but i think it is something worth trying as long as your careful

Jonken
11-22-08, 12:26 pm
im saying you really should refrigerate it, freezing would make it last longer.. if its not kept cold the potential for bad bacteria to grow is exponential, like in normal milk but worse. in normal milk they heat it to kill bacteria, if you have raw milk its obvously not heated and the bacteria are alive so if you dont keep it cold, could be bad..

dont want to scare you out of drinkin it, but i think it is something worth trying as long as your careful

Ah ok. Language barrier i guess. Ofc i will refrigerate it. Since thats what i do with normal milk. But its good to know that i should be extra careful with it.

Thanks a lot for your advices!

SQUAT or DIE!
11-22-08, 12:29 pm
no problem bro

barischeg
11-22-08, 1:32 pm
raw milk needs to be consumed very quickly, 1-2 days after it is milked...

when i was a young boy in turkey we used to get raw milk every morning from the milk man.. by the night same day it would get sour.. make sure you consume it the same day.. homogenization and pasteurization is a method created by the fucked up industry to put the milk man and small farmers out of business..

homogenization process actually scars your arteries, some studies have shown that it might be actually be a leading reason for heart disease.. Drink it raw

Jonken
11-22-08, 1:54 pm
raw milk needs to be consumed very quickly, 1-2 days after it is milked...

when i was a young boy in turkey we used to get raw milk every morning from the milk man.. by the night same day it would get sour.. make sure you consume it the same day.. homogenization and pasteurization is a method created by the fucked up industry to put the milk man and small farmers out of business..

homogenization process actually scars your arteries, some studies have shown that it might be actually be a leading reason for heart disease.. Drink it raw

Will it work freezing the raw milk so im able to keep it for a longer time?

I saw some studies comparing first gens of mice and cats that had been drinking raw compared to pasteurizated milk. Pretty scary to see how big the difference was is skin quality and size of the animals. I really hope this farmer we know keeps good care of his cows so im able to get some of this raw milk.

G Diesel
11-22-08, 2:08 pm
Assuming it is from a reputable farm where the cows are raised and treated in a proper and humane fashion, raw milk is some of the best stuff going. It is easy to digest, loaded with natural growth factors and enzymes and absolutley delicious. In the states it is expensive and tough to come by, but once you start drinking raw milk, you'll never look at regular milk the same. Peace, G

Jonken
11-22-08, 2:11 pm
Assuming it is from a reputable farm where the cows are raised and treated in a proper and humane fashion, raw milk is some of the best stuff going. It is easy to digest, loaded with natural growth factors and enzymes and absolutley delicious. In the states it is expensive and tough to come by, but once you start drinking raw milk, you'll never look at regular milk the same. Peace, G

Sounds awesome. I think this farm takes care of their cows. Before i get/buy any ill be sure to ask them about it. It's illegal to sell raw milk in sweden. So i will probably get it for free (thats legal for some odd reason). Do you know the how much fat and protein there is in raw milk per dl or cup?

stumblin54
11-22-08, 5:56 pm
We have to join milk co op's here to buy raw milk and I've been in one for a couple of years now. I attribute much of my gains to raw milk alone, and it tastes fantastic. Like G said, try it and you won't look back.

Stumblin

Jonken
11-23-08, 5:06 am
We have to join milk co op's here to buy raw milk and I've been in one for a couple of years now. I attribute much of my gains to raw milk alone, and it tastes fantastic. Like G said, try it and you won't look back.

Stumblin

Sounds awesome. I really have to talk to this farm asap.

Do you guys just drink it from the glass? heard its perfect for making healthy fruit milkshakes with blueberries and such. You guys ever tried that?

Thanks a lot for the response guys!

Thrawn
11-23-08, 6:00 am
Raw milk is DELICIOUS AND NUTRITIOUS. But keep it in the fridge and finish it off soon. Just make sure its from a good source.
I drank it for years (grandma had a farm) but listen to G Diesel and me: going back to 'normal' milk is a bit of a disappointment =))

Jonken
11-23-08, 9:27 am
Raw milk is DELICIOUS AND NUTRITIOUS. But keep it in the fridge and finish it off soon. Just make sure its from a good source.
I drank it for years (grandma had a farm) but listen to G Diesel and me: going back to 'normal' milk is a bit of a disappointment =))

Looks like theres only one thing for me to do then =)

widdlewade44
11-23-08, 1:14 pm
it's good (I think great) stuff and provided you get it from a reputable co-op/farmer you may never go back to regular milk again. When I hit my bulk this season raw milk is on my list as a staple, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

stumblin54
11-23-08, 7:46 pm
Do you guys just drink it from the glass? heard its perfect for making healthy fruit milkshakes with blueberries and such. You guys ever tried that?

I drink it from whatever can hold the stuff in it without spilling. It's great by itself or in shakes alike. If you like milk, you will love raw milk.

Stumblin

norrim1
11-23-08, 8:03 pm
I get some every once in a while from a farm just outside of where I live. Another cool thing is that it comes in a class bottle. The drink of gods.....

Here's a link I found that lists locations in every state where you can purchase some for yourself:

http://www.realmilk.com/where5.html#wi

Jonken
11-24-08, 1:11 am
I get some every once in a while from a farm just outside of where I live. Another cool thing is that it comes in a class bottle. The drink of gods.....

Here's a link I found that lists locations in every state where you can purchase some for yourself:

http://www.realmilk.com/where5.html#wi

haha, drink of gods. Thats a fine name.

After all these positive reviews i will have to get me some.

And thanks for the URL, but i live in Sweden. And unfortunally they did not have a list of sellers from this cold country.

Mighty Kev
11-24-08, 1:57 am
Selling of raw milk in america is illegal for one reason, it has microorganisms that cause disease that are killed by pasteurization. Enzymes aren't alive ever, because they're simply protein molecules, and your body has all of the enzymes required to break down fats, lipids, and sugars with the exception of lactase in some people.

Don't drink raw milk, there's no additional benefit besides flavor, and the risks are extreme. I study this stuff at school, it's not a good idea.

Dingo
11-24-08, 9:42 am
Im thinking of buying some Raw milk from a farm close to my summerhouse. I've heard its really beneficial while training (and not training). Since all the enzymes are still "alive".

What do you guys think of raw milk? Whats your experience from it?

mmm farm fresh milk, had some on my honeymoon, that and farm fresh eggs.... didnt suffer any consequences. It was fresh that morning, but only lasted that morning. I think between the 2 of us all we had was a quart. We had it 2 mornings in a row, no problems. I agree with squatty, you'll probably run into probs when it comes to storage over a period of time.
Id say only take what you can drink that day, dont store it overnight.

G Diesel
11-24-08, 9:56 am
Selling of raw milk in america is illegal for one reason, it has microorganisms that cause disease that are killed by pasteurization. Enzymes aren't alive ever, because they're simply protein molecules, and your body has all of the enzymes required to break down fats, lipids, and sugars with the exception of lactase in some people.

Don't drink raw milk, there's no additional benefit besides flavor, and the risks are extreme. I study this stuff at school, it's not a good idea.

Not saying you're wrong, my brother... But for the sake of clarification, my understanding was that improper care of cows, poor living conditions and bad feeding practices has normal dairy cows sick. Resultingly, they are pumped full of antibiotics and are on boatloads of hormones in order to produce far more milk than they naturally should. Cows are sick so they produce contaminated milk, thus necessitating pasteurization. If cows weren't sick and the milk they produced wasn't tainted, pateurization would be rendered obsolete. Pasteurization blasts milk with extreme heat and kills all of the nutrients in the milk, that is why vitamins A&D are added to the typical milk you buy at the supermarket. Peace, G

Jonken
11-24-08, 12:02 pm
Not saying you're wrong, my brother... But for the sake of clarification, my understanding was that improper care of cows, poor living conditions and bad feeding practices has normal dairy cows sick. Resultingly, they are pumped full of antibiotics and are on boatloads of hormones in order to produce far more milk than they naturally should. Cows are sick so they produce contaminated milk, thus necessitating pasteurization. If cows weren't sick and the milk they produced wasn't tainted, pateurization would be rendered obsolete. Pasteurization blasts milk with extreme heat and kills all of the nutrients in the milk, that is why vitamins A&D are added to the typical milk you buy at the supermarket. Peace, G

This is exactly what ive read. Raw milk should be ok as long as the cow does not have low PH in its stomach. A healthy cow gives healthy milk =)

stumblin54
11-24-08, 4:27 pm
The low pH balance in the cow's stomach is created by feeding them corn every day, which is not what they have evolved to eat (grass). The industry has forced cows to evolve to be able to live on corn in order to consume the giant corn surplus in America, as well as beefing them up to produce as much meat as possible for as little cost possible. The low acidity is accounted for with all the shit they pump into these cows that kills a lot of the bacteria that would otherwise still be present when it reaches the consumer's mouth; this is why grass-fed cows are essential when purchasing raw milk. Spend the extra dollars on quality food, because you really are what you eat eats.

Stumblin

Jonken
11-24-08, 4:39 pm
The low pH balance in the cow's stomach is created by feeding them corn every day, which is not what they have evolved to eat (grass). The industry has forced cows to evolve to be able to live on corn in order to consume the giant corn surplus in America, as well as beefing them up to produce as much meat as possible for as little cost possible. The low acidity is accounted for with all the shit they pump into these cows that kills a lot of the bacteria that would otherwise still be present when it reaches the consumer's mouth; this is why grass-fed cows are essential when purchasing raw milk. Spend the extra dollars on quality food, because you really are what you eat eats.

Stumblin

Really good post, thank you. Most food in Sweden is pretty good quality (since we have lots of laws protecting animals and such). So as long as i stay away from microwave food i think im good to go. I also get most of my meat from my grandpa who's a hunter. And when i'll buy raw milk i'll make sure that the cows are grass fed. But do you know how they solve this during the winters? since there's no grass out now. What i know they feed the cows with a lot of oats and wheat here when there aint no grass. Would that be ok for the cows as long as its pesticide free?

stumblin54
11-24-08, 7:56 pm
Your raw milk hookup will answer all these questions for ya, and if they're not transparent about it then that may raise a red flag. I'm willing to bet they'll be fine though, you just need to ask questions.

Stumblin