PDA

View Full Version : Help me attain a body like Frank Mcgrath

Zack_Attack
11-23-08, 4:57 pm
Brothers, I posted this in the contest journey thread, but thought I would also post it here so I don't miss any sound advice.

Like most of you, I have immense admiration for Frank Mcgrath's physique/strength and want to strive for a body like his. With the help of the knowledgeable bros, hopefully I can get at least half the way there. Below is where I stand now. I need advice on where to go.

After thinking long and hard, I decided on alternating heavy lifting in 1-6 rep range to stimulate strength, along with intense workouts in 10-12 rep range involving supersets/dropsets/pyramids/giantsets to stimulate hypertrophy.

For now, I would aim to eat almost 3k cals, well above maintenance, but work out enough and sprint to maintain my weight. That way I can gain muscle/burn fat simultaneously in order to recomp before I go on a serious bulk.

Thoughts...

5'11 188 lbs

43 chest 36 waist 39 hips 16 arms 23 quads

I am not sure of my BF percentage..so those with a good eye for it, please give me your estimates. I posted my pics today at BB.COM. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112158111

shizz702
11-23-08, 8:24 pm
The best advice I can give you is CONSISTENCY! You ain't going to get a body like Wrath's overnight. Expect to put in up to 10 years to get that kind of size lean.

Don't overanalyze or try to put together that perfect routine. Lift some heavy weights, eat good, sleep plenty, and repeat that process over, and over again. Consistency is what is all about. Only the truly dedicated will reach the elite level like that.

Vaze_06
11-23-08, 8:39 pm
The best advice I can give you is CONSISTENCY! You ain't going to get a body like Wrath's overnight. Expect to put in up to 10 years to get that kind of size lean.

Don't overanalyze or try to put together that perfect routine. Lift some heavy weights, eat good, sleep plenty, and repeat that process over, and over again. Consistency is what is all about. Only the truly dedicated will reach the elite level like that.

x2... must say genetics also play a role in getting Wrath size lol
but bro u want to keep it simple IMO old school is the way. Keep it to the basic, u can spice it up from time to time. with time u'll see what works for u

smith06
11-23-08, 9:01 pm
Genetics and dedication are key to look like Frank.

BTW the link you got to your bb.com thread is dead dude.

Zack_Attack
11-23-08, 11:43 pm
Thanks for the input guys. Yes, Consistency and Dedication will be the key to success. Unfortunately I have poor genetics and had to bust my butt just to get to where I am now.
Here are my recent pics on my homepage www.zackattack.info

Considering my stats mentioned above and that I am an endomorph, what direction should I go in for now..cut, bulk, or recomp?

eric downey
11-24-08, 12:48 am
Your all missing the biggest thing that the best have all had to indoor.

Sacrifice

Unitil you really understand what that really means you'll never reach you goals. I could go into great detail about what ive done or havn't done to get where I am today. Goodluck brother.

Aggression
11-24-08, 12:07 pm
Like everyone else said already, its going to take years of consistent effort and sacrifice man. If you understand that, then you're already on your way. Just stick to the path.

prowrestler
11-24-08, 12:40 pm
sorry

your never going to look like frank mcgrath.

you CAN look the best you possibly can though, you will look different then frank but you never know, maybe better then him?

diet, training recovery. do whatever it takes to optimize these 3 and youll be huge in a matter of time.

Aggression
11-24-08, 12:58 pm
sorry

your never going to look like frank mcgrath.

you CAN look the best you possibly can though, you will look different then frank but you never know, maybe better then him?

diet, training recovery. do whatever it takes to optimize these 3 and youll be huge in a matter of time.

True. Only Frank McGrath will look like Frank McGrath. I used to want to look exactly like him, but reality sets in, and you realize that you can only look the best your body is willing to look.

cyingling
11-24-08, 1:33 pm
not to mention are you willing to eat a dozen eggs for breakfast, close to 3 lbs of eye, and about 4 sweet potatoes during the day, and another dozen eggs at night..

that's where i think the difference lies, dedication/sacrifice..

mdh84
11-24-08, 2:42 pm
For now, I would aim to eat almost 3k cals, well above maintenance, but work out enough and sprint to maintain my weight. That way I can gain muscle/burn fat simultaneously in order to recomp before I go on a serious bulk.

Thoughts...

If you plan on gaining muscle, I would up the calories. Your going to find it pretty tough to gain muscle while losing fat. Go on a bulk then cut down, but both aren't going to happen at the same time. Good luck bro.

Zack_Attack
11-24-08, 5:58 pm
Brothers, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get there..i don't even consider the sacrifices as sacrifices persay..I love spending hrs with my weights and love the thought of eating big. You guys direct and I will follow posting pictures regularly so you can see my progress.

It was a long hard struggle to bring a 42" waist down to 36". Anytime I have begun a bulk, I quit within a week because my waist balloons by an inch right away and I get scared of it getting even bigger. So is it possible to gain serious mass while keeping my waistline from increasing more than an inch or so? Anyone have an idea of what Frank's waist circumference might be?

cyingling, yes I can eat the dozen eggs, steak and sweet potatoes - love the though of it. It will be loads of fun. I just don't want to get fat..I am not thinking cardio, but doing athletic drills/sprinting to keep myself anabolic and keep fat gain to a bare minimum.

Considering I am an endomorph and a type II diabetic, how many cals would be good to start with? I have been on a 2k cal diet all year and know I need to up that majorly to look anything close to my main man. So I am thinking 3k for starters with a 50/30/20 split.

redskin 344
11-24-08, 7:59 pm
why isnt anyone mentioning creatine?

I just started taking creatine a few days ago and I feel like a beast. Im faster and stronger.

If anyone saw the youtube video of Frank working out his chest and doing 6 or so reps of 405 lbs when incline pressing, u really need to. Hes strong as hell.

mritter3
11-24-08, 8:23 pm
buddy, you are going to have to work your ass off for many years to achieve a physique like frank's. you have to eat breath and sleep like a mad man on a mission. best advice i can get you is to take it day by day and be consistant, eat, work your ass off, and rest, then repeat.

good luck bro

Factory
11-24-08, 8:34 pm
The only 2 peices of advice I can give:
Don't expect to get anything easily. The only way you get results is a long term investment in the dining room and the gym. You need to stick to the plan 24/7. You need to decide if this is a passing phase, a hobby, or a lifestyle change.

Set an attainable goal, and set goals that are reachable in the NEAR future. Sadly to say you weren't gifted with the greatest genetics, Neither was I. A phenomenal physique like franks is the result of enough hard work and DEDICATION for a lifetime.

About your calories question, you gotta see what works for you. I'm on 6k calories right now, it's working out pretty good, but I'm always thinking of ways to get more food in. That's the way you gotta think, find out what works for you, stick to it, and keep thinking about ways to improve it.

Big3
11-24-08, 9:00 pm
I currently eat 8k calories and sometimes 10k during the hardest part of offseason training.... you have to find what works for you. I have never cut, so I have no idea calorie wise.... keep on keeping on and you'll get somewhere. I think that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE on the forvm looks upto Frank and his physique.. what man doesn't want his body and strenght??

eric downey
11-25-08, 12:58 am
Brothers, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get there..i don't even consider the sacrifices as sacrifices persay..I love spending hrs with my weights and love the thought of eating big. You guys direct and I will follow posting pictures regularly so you can see my progress.

It was a long hard struggle to bring a 42" waist down to 36". Anytime I have begun a bulk, I quit within a week because my waist balloons by an inch right away and I get scared of it getting even bigger. So is it possible to gain serious mass while keeping my waistline from increasing more than an inch or so? Anyone have an idea of what Frank's waist circumference might be?

cyingling, yes I can eat the dozen eggs, steak and sweet potatoes - love the though of it. It will be loads of fun. I just don't want to get fat..I am not thinking cardio, but doing athletic drills/sprinting to keep myself anabolic and keep fat gain to a bare minimum.

Considering I am an endomorph and a type II diabetic, how many cals would be good to start with? I have been on a 2k cal diet all year and know I need to up that majorly to look anything close to my main man. So I am thinking 3k for starters with a 50/30/20 split.

ok ill touch on this for a min. i think my next article is gonna be able this topic though. sacrifices are more than just spedning time in the gym and eating. try this out. take a peice of paper and place it on the frig. now 3 times a day, say morning noon and night just right your name. dont miss and let nothing come between being able to get your name on the page. i mean nothing. try it out. i wish you luck and hope you reach your goals.

redskin 344
11-25-08, 3:23 pm
ok ill touch on this for a min. i think my next article is gonna be able this topic though. sacrifices are more than just spedning time in the gym and eating. try this out. take a peice of paper and place it on the frig. now 3 times a day, say morning noon and night just right your name. dont miss and let nothing come between being able to get your name on the page. i mean nothing. try it out. i wish you luck and hope you reach your goals.

damn

profound shit

BamBam
11-26-08, 12:58 am
Ok.....you want a body by Frank eh'...Who doesnt! lol...But, I would say this...

Bust your ass for a few years, eat right basically everyday all year (ok to cheat if you aren't dieting cuz you are human and need some fat to grow), Give every paycheck and cent to the ANIMAL supp line, lift every session until you feel like putting a gun to your head cuz it hurts so bad....maybe buy the ANIMAL DVD's....but......I mean if you wana body like that guy...it starts from within....so, start searching...and ask yourself if you have what it takes to forge something like that!

IN IRON,
BB-

Zack_Attack
11-26-08, 3:50 pm
Brothers, thank you for your advice. This is the best forum bar none..I know none of the advice is meant as discouragement, but rather as a warning of the extremely challenging uphill struggle. I'll get to where I can, but I will only respect myself if I give it my best shot.

I will be updating my progress in my original thread "Metamorphosis into a Beast", which I suppose a mod will move to the Jorney section.

I'm on my way...

sanga
11-26-08, 4:53 pm
Your biggest challenge is at the dinner table IMO, thats the hardest thing to do day in day out, the rest is easy in comparisson, consistancy is the key.

futurefreak101
11-26-08, 7:17 pm
bro i dont mean to shatter your hopes and dreams..but u will never look like frank mc grath...every bodybuilder looks different...every single one...some develop big legs..some small..some big chest ...some small.....look like yourself...dedicate yourself and enjoy the outcome =)

D-Bomb
11-30-08, 2:08 pm
I say bulk brother clean as you can but you gotta get yourself thick and wide...im standing at 5.7 200lbs + with 17.5 inch arms 47.5 inch chest/ 53 inch shoulders around and 35 inch waist so with you at 5.11 and 188lbs means you got a lot of massive muscle that can be stuck on there and created! ..etc...your training is going to have to go to the next next NEXT level...i know Wrath is a Massive inspiration for me as well and I only wish you luck dude. it is going to be a long journey to be as huge as he is and as cut and shredded as he is to have veins popping all over...

oh yea, why not check out the Wrath DVD's? may as well watch the man training and emulate it!

MVP
11-30-08, 2:51 pm
Stay consistent. Another thing is eat big. Be sure you're giving your body the proper nutrients to build muscle. Stick with your heavy compounds and your good to go.

Zack_Attack
11-30-08, 10:31 pm
D-Bomb, watching Wrath in the Animal Pak videos online makes me salivate, and I mean that in the most non-**** way :) so yea I'd love to emulate after watching his DVDs.
what is your caloric intake at? I have been on a 2k cal diet all year. Been upping it gradually and expect to get to 3k by next week.

It is very impressive that with your size, you only have a 35 inch waist. How do you accomplish that? Being type II diabetic and an endomporph my belly swells first - I am already up from 36 to 36.5 and getting leary.

Anyone have advice on optimizing size gain everywhere, but keeping waist circumference gain at a minimum? Anybody have an estimate on Wrath's waist size?
I am thinking I can keep bulking as long as I comfortably fit in size 34 jeans and wear medium size sweatpants. Thoughts?

futurefreak101 & prowrestler, I hear you guys and am realistic. I am content on simply using Wrath as my role model and get to the best level I can.

redskin 344, yea i am taking creatine buddy!

sanga, I am already realizing the challenge of the food intake. Its gonna be much harder than I thought, but my mentality is "live to eat, versus eat to live"..so yea I am gonna savor this journey :)))

D-Bomb
12-01-08, 11:22 am
what is your caloric intake at? I have been on a 2k cal diet all year. Been upping it gradually and expect to get to 3k by next week.

It is very impressive that with your size, you only have a 35 inch waist. How do you accomplish that? Being type II diabetic and an endomporph my belly swells first - I am already up from 36 to 36.5 and getting leary.

Anyone have advice on optimizing size gain everywhere, but keeping waist circumference gain at a minimum? Anybody have an estimate on Wrath's waist size?
I am thinking I can keep bulking as long as I comfortably fit in size 34 jeans and wear medium size sweatpants. Thoughts?

hmmm, i dont really count my caloric intake when im gaining, which many say is wrong but works for me, if im not at the weight i know i should be or am aiming for like 92-95kgs i just eat more in that day/night till im where i want to be. That said i have two protein powders the one averaging 900 calories for 4 scoops and the other about 500 + calories 4 scoops. so i get at least some of those in a day. plus make a wholewheat sandwich or 2 and have some yogurt drinks after gym training which are very quick calories...(240 + cals a bottle!) for supper whatever is being cooked i take advantage of and my plate is always full and sometimes go for seconds for the meat and salad.
so a rough estimate would be 3-5k calories or more...if im really hungry. i suppose i naturally sometimes eat more and sometimes eat less so my body grows and forms nicely.

hmmm...well i used to weigh last December at 95kgs + with a 36.5/37 inch waist which was not great, and i just about had the size i have now back then...but through struggling on and eventually deciding to cut down for 3-4 months i got my waist way down to 33 inches with a smaller frame, now im bulking and put on 6-7kgs since then from water,creatine,food etc, im gaining that muscle back but 4-5kgs lighter...so therefore my waist is a bit smaller...in the morning it is 34.5 inches...
shame about your condition man...

I would say calorie dense meals but smaller more planned out ones so that you get the calories in but smaller more frequent meals...so your belly does not swell? thats an untrained opinion haha.

i used to know his waist size, was on his journey somewhere on the main site.
you have got to have a standard, i know if i start not fitting into everything i gotta cut down (unless its my quads or upper body growing haha...but otherwise try always keep a standard such as your pant size. )

MVP
12-03-08, 2:55 am
It is impossible to tell your daily requirements (calorie wise).

Each day will be different.

I say eat until you grow. If you're not growing eat more, if you're growing it's working. If you're gaining more fat eat more clean, decrease calories, or incorporate cardio about 20 mins. per day twice per week.

Arbalest
12-04-08, 10:45 am
TRUTH:

You need to cut down to a LOW BF% before you even consider bulking. I don't care what everyone is telling you, but you will feel like shit, and feel like shit if you start bulking now.

I've been fat, borderline diabetic, etc... CUT DOWN.

If I could do everything over again, I would have listened and cut down before I tried bulking. Also, your body better handles the extra calories when you're lean, not storing everything as BF!

Lastly, something that is overlooked quite frequently, is that when you're lean, you LOOK bigger, PLUS you'll know what your weak points. A lot of fatter guys always think their arms and chest are huge, but when they finally do cut down after an excessive bulk they realize they're extremely unbalanced.

Don't get it wrong.. You WILL gain some muscle coming down from a high BF, so don't worry...

~Arbalest

LeeMc
12-04-08, 7:33 pm
Wasnt his numbers 55:30:29 ??

55 chest, 30 waist, 29 legs? I think..

Zack_Attack
12-05-08, 12:26 am
Arbalest, thanks for your input. 2200 cals will maintain my current weight of 190. Should I keep them that low, or perhaps I should try recomp on a 3.5k cal diet via by doing heavy workouts/intense cardio so I can build maximum muscle and keep shedding the fat? Anyone else with an opinion on this, please feel free to chime in.

What body fat % should I cut down to prior to bulking? Could you check my pics on my site www.zackattack.info and give me your opinion? Thanks.

Aggression
12-05-08, 10:13 am
Arbalest, thanks for your input. 2200 cals will maintain my current weight of 190. Should I keep them that low, or perhaps I should try recomp on a 3.5k cal diet via by doing heavy workouts/intense cardio so I can build maximum muscle and keep shedding the fat? Anyone else with an opinion on this, please feel free to chime in.

What body fat % should I cut down to prior to bulking? Could you check my pics on my site www.zackattack.info and give me your opinion? Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't bother cutting down at the moment. You still need to build your foundational base. That requires looks of heavy lifting and good food. Clean up your diet a bit, do some legit weight in the gym, hit low intensity cardio 2x/week and you should see some big changes.

Zack_Attack
12-05-08, 6:37 pm
Aggression, what is the max I should let my waistline get to before cutting?
5'11 191 lbs, 43 chest, 36.5 waist, 39.5 hips, 23 quads

Arbalest
12-06-08, 12:09 am
Personally I wouldn't bother cutting down at the moment. You still need to build your foundational base. That requires looks of heavy lifting and good food. Clean up your diet a bit, do some legit weight in the gym, hit low intensity cardio 2x/week and you should see some big changes.

Now that I see your pics, I still stand by my opinion. You're just thick looking, not really obese. But a small yet hardcore cut -- short in duration, but hardcore fat loss, would benefit you in the long run.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It's easier to stay lean once you are. Secondly, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE to be a fatass when you're "bulking."

You wanna be 250? DO NOT EAT LIKE YOU'RE 250!! A good rule of thumb, is to eat 5lbs heavier then what you are... Add 5 more when you get there and keep going.

Don't lose focus on the longterm goal, but remember its the little goals that get you there.

jmoney
12-06-08, 1:41 am
not sounding like i know it all but in this sport cant and wont are not an option.. i envy frank hes been my motivation for years.. and will continue to be. i wont let anyone tell me anything i will continue to push and eat util im about to puke to prove all those who said i cant or i wont and most of all to myself i can do what ive set out to do. frank has been in our shoes and hell who knows may still be. its about having the will and the push to get were you wanna go.. keep hard at it. its a marathon not a sprint..

ralf_snake
12-07-08, 8:00 pm
Not that i wanna force any decisions on you guys. But you can clearly see, if anyone has a life thats full of intense bodyuse like construction it is easier for those kind of people to put up with intense training and heavy eating for obvious reasons.

You can also see that when anyones father is a heavy worker, that their sons(mostly cases) will have an easier time getting big on their own.
[Example] My father with the work he did in construction got big arms. I can see that with the exact same intensity i train every bodypart, i have no problem getting my arms bigger than the rest. Coincidence? I think not.

Its called overcompensation, i got it from some old guy in my old gym. Lets say: You are dehydrated, your losing fluids. But than you get to a little village and drink all you can. You body is storing more fluids so it doesnt get put into the exact same situation. Now over several times of this story your body is going to find a better way to put up with it. And obviously your children will get the exact same tolerance to the problem.

my 2 cents

Zack_Attack
12-10-08, 7:46 am
ralf_snake & jmoney, thanks for your opinions

Arbalest, if I went on a hardcore cut for 6 weeks, am I better off on a 1700 cal diet of 50% protein, or 3k cal diet where I engage in heavy training/intense cardio making sure I stay in a 500 calorie deficit?

Aggression
12-10-08, 9:38 am
Aggression, what is the max I should let my waistline get to before cutting?
5'11 191 lbs, 43 chest, 36.5 waist, 39.5 hips, 23 quads

I wouldn't worry about numbers and inches man. Bulk up, and if you see yourself gaining some extra flab/width, just cut back a bit. And by cut back, I don't mean go on a cut. I just mean reduce the carbs a bit, or reanalyze your diet.

Aggression
12-10-08, 9:40 am
ralf_snake & jmoney, thanks for your opinions

Arbalest, if I went on a hardcore cut for 6 weeks, am I better off on a 1700 cal diet of 50% protein, or 3k cal diet where I engage in heavy training/intense cardio making sure I stay in a 500 calorie deficit?

Dude, like my post above says, don't worry about specific numbers. Bodybuilding is all about finding out what works for your own body. No one here can tell you how many calories you need on a cut. Just slowly reduce the carbs over several weeks, or do a Keto diet. Even so, when cutting, do not change your training routine. Getting 'cut' is all about the diet and cardio. Training should remain the same.

Arbalest
12-10-08, 10:14 am
Dude, like my post above says, don't worry about specific numbers. Bodybuilding is all about finding out what works for your own body. No one here can tell you how many calories you need on a cut. Just slowly reduce the carbs over several weeks, or do a Keto diet. Even so, when cutting, do not change your training routine. Getting 'cut' is all about the diet and cardio. Training should remain the same.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Zack_Attack
12-30-08, 4:30 am
Brothers, since I started this thread, I decided to add some size to my frame and went on a bulk of <500 cals over maintenance. I got checked by BodPod (www.bodpod.com) and was pleased to find myself at 194 lbs with 22.9% Body Fat (150 LBM / 44 FM)

My caliper reading was 16.51% (162 LBM / 32 FM)

I have put up the pics on my site www.zackattack.info
(I have mentioned caliper readings on the home page, not BodPod which will give you a higher BodyFat reading)

I think it is time to refine. I would like to drop to 185 and hope to get a BodPod reading of 20% (148 LBM / 37 FM). Opinions?

Aggression
12-30-08, 9:57 am
Personally, I think its detrimental to go back and forth between cutting and bulking. You said you were at 16% body fat, at 195lbs? I suggest you continue bulking up, and maybe cut out some crap foods and clean up your diet a bit. That way, you'll still be bulking, and you'll lose some of that extra weight. You can shed 5-10lbs of water weight/bloat if you clean up your diet, and this can be done while bulking up.

Enforcer
12-30-08, 10:03 am
Bro what does your weekly routine look like?

Preston
12-30-08, 10:47 am
Hey I was just checking out your box jump videos. Nice job on that last try man; 2-3 more months and you'll have it down pat ;)

C.Coronato
01-13-09, 1:35 pm
Bring us up to date brother? How you lookin how you feelin? Any closer to your goals??

thehawk
01-14-09, 4:27 pm
Frank Mcgrath's body.. even words can't describe it.
Any idea for how long he has been wokring out?

castilo
01-14-09, 5:00 pm
Like most of the people here say. Don't expect huge result in a short amount of time. If you do you are only setting yourself for failure. I saw how Frank train but you can't train like him to look like him. You can't look like him because you are not him. You can only look like you. Whatever you will look like when you achieve your goal.

And what is yoru goal? Do you even have a goal? Do you know what you want and plan what to do in order to get there? Do you have a long term goal and a short term goal and weekly goals. Do you meaure your results every week to ensure that your training an dnutrition is working?

I look at your picture and you seem to look the same in the span of one year. I got started working out this summer and I have made way more progress. I trained hard and stick to the basics.

Frank is a pro. He had lots of experience and hell I bet he fail a lot of the times too. But it's not failure. It's a discovery. He discover what didn't work.

castilo
01-14-09, 5:03 pm
And yes you have to sacrafice like all the people here are saying. It may be easier for you. I am at school and I have to make food every to sneak into class and make sure I eat my meals every 3 hours. Its hard but I love bodybuilding. It is my passion. Even though school does get in the way, what is stopping me if I really want it? There is no such thing as no way. If you want it, go get it.

redskin 344
01-14-09, 8:25 pm
Why the hell are we still on this thread...

Eat big sleep big and train big and supplement properly and you'll get what you want

C.Coronato
01-15-09, 12:45 pm
AMEN redskin

Zack_Attack
01-30-09, 6:28 am
Brothers, sorry for not checking this thread - didn't think it was active.

Enforcer, I don't have a routine yet per say. I work out on whim, doing a variety of compound lifts and like to keep things interesting by incorporating new challenging exercises. I lift heavy in the 2-6 rep range. If I hit 5 or 6 reps, I move up in weight.

Preston, thanks. I expect to nail a 36" Box Jump by July.

treetrunklegs, appreciate you checking on my progress.

castilo, I hear you on the sacrifices. Not sure if I am that committed, but I want to have a blast doing the best I can.

Anyway, things are going great. I am ever so determined to get better every day. Here is a video I posted in my journey:

DEAD PR Attempt @ 355 / Superset Tris & Bis / DEAD 225x7 / DL Progress Summary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EznG8wBTtFY

Zack_Attack
02-02-09, 8:00 pm
The best body in the history of mankind..(if only I wasn't straight as an arrow)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-wtmqqh4zk

Zack_Attack
02-08-09, 8:32 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3hRt-X6czM

houseofpain
02-08-09, 8:55 am
why isnt anyone mentioning creatine?

I just started taking creatine a few days ago and I feel like a beast. Im faster and stronger.

If anyone saw the youtube video of Frank working out his chest and doing 6 or so reps of 405 lbs when incline pressing, u really need to. Hes strong as hell.

Creatine dude? You really think Frank Mcgrath is as strong as he is because of creatine? Sorry to burst your bubble along with every other bubble on this thread, but there is a reason Frank looks the way he does. He is on alot more than creatine...

There is a very real possibility that none of us will ever look like Frank, nor will we ever be a professional athlete. Sorry if this burst of realization ruins your fantasy, but this post was never meant to be a slap on the ass and a go get 'em kid kinda post. But just because we won't look like him doesn't mean we should ever stop striving for our own goals. Like my boy Ox says, Sergio was Sergio and why would anyone else try to look like him? Same goes in this case. There is something to be said about individuality. Although none of us may ever look like him or ever be that big, we still work to better ourselves. Because in the end, what you look like doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that you are bigger, better and stronger than you once were.

Zack_Attack
02-09-09, 7:31 am
houseofpain, very well said. Wrath to me, like to many of you, simply serves a role model. Looking up to a guy like him allows me to unleash the Animal in me.

I have been told by a couple competitive bodybuilders that it is impossible for a guy of my genetics to get as big as Wrath without steroid use..and thats fine. I will consider myself fortunate to get half the way there..every step of that journey puts me a step ahead.

RastaBoy
02-09-09, 11:39 am
Why do you strive to look like someone else? Just do the best you, you can do g.

houseofpain
02-11-09, 9:50 pm
Why do you strive to look like someone else? Just do the best you, you can do g.

word. keep spittin the real shit there rasta

Zack_Attack
02-16-09, 3:08 pm
Hypers / 225 Bench / TireJumps / 235 Bench / KettleSwings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmHs0PmnuwU

Shoulder DB Presses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uEwTTh7yuc

Variable
02-16-09, 11:23 pm
I think it's motivating to try to achieve that size, but the fact that no one here is mentioning AAS contributing to his physique is a little strange.

Hardwork, Sacrifice, and Consistency are a huge part, but if you think he's relying solely on Animal products for his anabolic repertoire, you need to look deeper...

Zack_Attack
02-19-09, 3:07 am
Variable, good point you bring up. However, I don't think anyone knows for sure if he has used AAS? I want to do the best I can Naturally..getting to half of McGrath's strength/size would be a blessing.

7 month Progress Summary:
START July 2008 : BENCH 215, SQUAT 165, DEAD 265 = 645, 28" jump
CURNT Feb 2009 : BENCH 240, SQUAT 260, DEAD 355 = 855, 33" jump
GOALS July 2009 : BENCH 275, SQUAT 315, DEAD 375 = 965, 36" jump
GOALS July 2011 : BENCH 405, SQUAT 505, DEAD 605 = 1515, 45" jump

7 month BENCH Progress: +25 lbs
7 month SQUAT Progress: +95 lbs
7 month DEADL Progress: +90 lbs
7 month Box Jump Progress: +5"

I am excited about simulating a PL meet towards the end of February that I will post a vid of. I will perform a 1 rep max lift on the Squat, Bench, then Dead adhering to competition standards as much as possible. I am aiming for 275 Squat, 245 Bench, 360 Dead.

Here are the latest video clips of my workouts in preparation for this:

BackSquat PR Attempt @ 265
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n9F_R-Ta4Y

Try Bench PR @ 225x3 / Try Incline PR @ 185x1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewiQcTOoSM4

Variable
02-19-09, 1:54 pm
Variable, good point you bring up. However, I don't think anyone knows for sure if he has used AAS? I want to do the best I can Naturally..getting to half of McGrath's strength/size would be a blessing.

I agree with you there. I've got most of Frank's pictures cycling through my desktop background. Whenever I feel too bloated to eat another bite, I take a look at him and that gets me to choke it down.

I'd love to believe that he's natural, that that physique is attainable naturally; but im satisfied seeing it as great motivator keeping me striving for perfection.

to each his own...

Zack_Attack
02-20-09, 3:56 pm
Here is a vid of my final squat workout in preparation for the simulated meet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VN2UlV-xGw

GJN5002
02-20-09, 4:05 pm
[QUOTE=Variable;641773]I think it's motivating to try to achieve that size, but the fact that no one here is mentioning AAS contributing to his physique is a little strange.

QUOTE]

x2

Mcrgrath is a nasty dude, who wouldnt want to look like that? You have to be realistic though.

J-Dawg
02-20-09, 4:13 pm

7 month Progress Summary:
START July 2008 : BENCH 215, SQUAT 165, DEAD 265 = 645, 28" jump
CURNT Feb 2009 : BENCH 240, SQUAT 260, DEAD 355 = 855, 33" jump
GOALS July 2009 : BENCH 275, SQUAT 315, DEAD 375 = 965, 36" jump
GOALS July 2011 : BENCH 405, SQUAT 505, DEAD 605 = 1515, 45" jump

7 month BENCH Progress: +25 lbs
7 month SQUAT Progress: +95 lbs
7 month DEADL Progress: +90 lbs
7 month Box Jump Progress: +5"

I am excited about simulating a PL meet towards the end of February that I will post a vid of. I will perform a 1 rep max lift on the Squat, Bench, then Dead adhering to competition standards as much as possible. I am aiming for 275 Squat, 245 Bench, 360 Dead.

Here are the latest video clips of my workouts in preparation for this:

BackSquat PR Attempt @ 265
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n9F_R-Ta4Y

Try Bench PR @ 225x3 / Try Incline PR @ 185x1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewiQcTOoSM4

I like your heart zachattack. Looking forward to seeing how you do with your simulated PL meet.

C.Coronato
02-20-09, 4:15 pm
Awesome progress brother. I read your bio online and i must say you are an inspiration dude. You of all people can do anything that you want. After the accident and coming to where you are now, if you want a body like Wrath, go after it. Congrats on the progress my man and im here to watch for sure.

Zack_Attack
02-20-09, 8:15 pm
J-Dawg and TreeTrunkLegs, brothers, appreciate the encouragement! I will go for up to 3 attempts at 245 Bench, 275 Squat, 360 Dead. Those would all be PRs. If I succeed on one lift, I will not try for more and move to the next.
I intend to pause for a 1/2 second on the Bench. Think that may be enough of a pause for PL meet standard.

Zack_Attack
02-24-09, 2:43 am
Here is a Triceps Giant Set including my modification of Triceps DEATH

OH Ext 95x6 (PR) / PushDowns / Triceps DEATH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZHOX2EvQY

Simulated PL meet is Thursday February 26, 2009. Aiming for 275 Squat, 245 Bench, 360 Dead

widdlewade44
02-24-09, 8:06 am
Here is a Triceps Giant Set including my modification of Triceps DEATH

OH Ext 95x6 (PR) / PushDowns / Triceps DEATH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZHOX2EvQY

Simulated PL meet is Thursday February 26, 2009. Aiming for 275 Squat, 245 Bench, 360 Dead

it's in sight and you're on your way. Good luck at the meet on Thursday.

Kevin
widdlewade44

J-Dawg
02-24-09, 11:13 am
J-Dawg and TreeTrunkLegs, brothers, appreciate the encouragement! I will go for up to 3 attempts at 245 Bench, 275 Squat, 360 Dead. Those would all be PRs. If I succeed on one lift, I will not try for more and move to the next.
I intend to pause for a 1/2 second on the Bench. Think that may be enough of a pause for PL meet standard.

Awesome Zack. Let us know how it goes.

wesleyfootball36
02-26-09, 1:33 pm
ya true, def no way to get to that size and perfection without genetics, years and years of hard training and diet. Not judging just being honest but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Just trying to let these guys know if you dont meet all of the criteria above good luck but ur guna be one depressed individual

Zack_Attack
03-01-09, 5:46 am
I simulated the meet by attempting to max out on the Squat/Bench/Dead.
While warming up for Squats, I felt my right quad or knee giving way..to prevent aggravation of the slight injury I suffered during the 1st set of the Front Squats in the vid above, I decided to forego the Squat max.

Feb '09 PL Meet Simulation - Try 275/245/360
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s69sU8MD5VE

Zack_Attack
03-02-09, 3:45 pm
After starting working on 20 rep squats @ 135 lbs, I have incremented to 225 lbs over the months. This vid is part 1 of my race to 20 reps. After I get 20 reps, I will add weight and start again.

Squat 185 ATG 3 Sec Pause / Race to 225x20 part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i39U2NLtP-Q

Zack_Attack
03-10-09, 3:37 am
SQUAT Race to 225x20 Act 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8W27Vib-0g

Zack_Attack
03-12-09, 10:49 pm
SQUAT Race 225 x 20: Act 3: Try 6 reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_J66biFms

DEAD Race 315 x 20: Act 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJqM46rkp70

BamBam
03-13-09, 1:20 am
SQUAT Race 225 x 20: Act 3: Try 6 reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_J66biFms

DEAD Race 315 x 20: Act 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJqM46rkp70

Hey bro, on your deadlift, your form is pretty good, but from an outside perspective, you need to sink your butt a little more and keep your chest out, head up. Just my 2 cents and trying to help out. You def. have heart and keep that fire going and your eyes locked on the prize dude. If you need any help at all bro, shoot me a PM or drop by my Journey (bottom of my sig). Awesome work bro. Keep it going!

IN IRON,
BB-

Zack_Attack
03-13-09, 12:45 pm
thanks BamBam! those adjustments will help big time. But will need to lower the weight to make those adjustments, so for the Race of 315 to 20 Reps you will likely see the form you saw above. Appreciate the encouragement bro, and will check out your journal!

BamBam
03-13-09, 12:48 pm
thanks BamBam! those adjustments will help big time. But will need to lower the weight to make those adjustments, so for the Race of 315 to 20 Reps you will likely see the form you saw above. Appreciate the encouragement bro, and will check out your journal!

Awesome dude. You may not have to lower the weight though. You will be surprised how much stronger you are with the "right" form. But do what works for you brotha! I'm in your corner and you will get 315x20 in no time bro! Keep pushing and I'm honored to have you along for the ride!

Zack_Attack
03-14-09, 4:49 pm
BamBam, this DEAD vid was shot before your input. You can expect some improvement in the next vid!

DEAD Race 315 x 20: Act 2: Try 4 reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSi2K2xK-QY

BENCH Journey to 135 x 50: Act 5: Try 24 reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBGFIYeipY

SQUAT Race 225 x 20: Act 4: Try 8 reps - FAIL !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDZJeoy15Q

Zack_Attack
03-16-09, 3:57 pm
SQUAT Race 225 x 20: Act 5: Try 8 reps Again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFA2aC8XZOw

Zack_Attack
03-19-09, 6:47 am
SQUAT Race 225 x 20: Act 7: Try 9 reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rGOlAHWpCY

Thrawn
03-19-09, 8:06 am
Realistic goal or not, i like the way you attack your goal. I like the way that you pound away regardless if ppl tell you it is attainable or not. Creating your own PL style meet to make progress. You got heart.
My take on it: Animals do NOT like realistic goals. A realistic goal means that one day you will reach it and you will be satisfied. Not the right way to go in my book. Set the goal immensely high. It will keep you reaching and hungry.
So, can i help you attain a body like Frank? No. Can you attain a body like Frank? I dunno. For me it is the journey that counts, not the final destination. You never know what is in store for the future. It is all done HERE and NOW.
Keep pounding away, brother. Keep adding plates. Realistic or not, i am in your corner.
Subbed for this ride.

By the way: do NOT focus too much on 'getting this much reps with that weight'. Keep your eye where YOU wanna be. You wanna be HUGE like Frank. That means changing up things on a regular basis to keep your body guessing and in shock. Constantly doing the same ===> lack of progress in the end. Just my 2 cents on it.

J-PILE
03-19-09, 8:37 am
You've got a lot of good support here bud. Push yourself as hard as you can in your workouts, and learn as much as you can from these guys posting on your thread... they know what they're talkin about. We'll all be here to support you......

BamBam
03-19-09, 1:54 pm
Hey brother... Just dropping in and seeing how progress is going for you. Hope all is well and keep hitting it HARD!

IN IRON,
BB-

Zack_Attack
03-19-09, 10:46 pm
Thrawn, you words provide me with extra inspiration brother. I primarily workout in the 3-5 rep range with maximum weight, but throw in 20 rep sets to improve mental tenacity. Anyone who hasn't tried high rep Squats would be surprised that they can actually do 10-20 reps at 80% of their 1RM if they dig deep. It is primarily mental. I started 20 rep squats @ 135 months ago and have worked up to 225 now. I hope to hit 20 reps @ 225 going below parallel in the coming weeks.

I would like to thank everyone for allowing me this thread - the encouragement, input, and simply knowing that the brothers are watching propels me further. Whatever my destination is, you guys are an Integral part of my journey.

Thank you J-PILE, BamBam92 and everyone else from the bottom of my heart.

I hope my journey motivates everyone to constantly improve themselves. It is all about Progress - strive to be bigger stronger healthier every single day. The results, however positive they may be, will naturally follow.

You can read about it, but people can't see or imagine the Long way I have fought over a decade since therapy after the brain surgery/coma. I have a longer way to go.
Impossible is nothing.

stumblin54
03-20-09, 12:03 am
Keep killin' it Zach, I enjoy dropping by and reading your thread. And nice to hear about the high rep squats too, widowmakers are killer.

Stumblin

Zack_Attack
03-23-09, 5:46 am
stumblin54, thanks for introducing me to the terminology!

SQUAT Race 225 x 20: Act 8: Try 10 reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykPVZvlHI1w

BENCH Journey to 135 x 50: Act 7: Try 25 reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQa8LN64yZw

BamBam
03-23-09, 9:22 am
No need to ever thank brother but you are welcome and you know I am always in your corner. I may not be as vocal sometimes or whatever but I am always there if you need me for anything. Your Journey does inspire and makes me push myself harder because I see such hungry and determined individuals out there like yourself trying to beat me so I push rigt back!! Keep going bro and we will both be bound to aspire to greatness!

Also remember...."There is NO try...Only DO!"

IN IRON,
BB-

waslate
03-23-09, 10:12 am
The key to achieving Franks physique is genetics, dedication, and hormonal supplementation year round! You just don't get like that naturally I don't care what anyone says.

Anyways, having your diet perfected will keep the gains coming and will help you achieve your natural potential.

Get hyooooge brah

Zack_Attack
03-30-09, 3:36 pm
Failed at the 11th and 12th rep in my Squat Race to 20 reps in past few days (no video posted). But this time I was rested, well fed, psyched, and very confident. However, an unusual experience...

People stare now & then, give double/triple takes, and walk away. But this moron stared the entire set and threw me off. This gives me taste of how PL meet pressure with everybody watching affects the way you lift. I HATE making excuses but I knew I had 12 reps in me..I was pissed.

Race to 20 reps @ 225 lbs / Try 12 Reps / Blame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYPyvO90Yo

ghost
03-30-09, 4:20 pm
cant let people staring at you psych you out. what will u do at a meet? wear a blind fold? People are going to stare. maybe he was looking for tips..... never know.

J-PILE
03-30-09, 6:07 pm
cant let people staring at you psych you out. what will u do at a meet? wear a blind fold? People are going to stare. maybe he was looking for tips..... never know.

Agreed... I have to admit, when I see someone doing something at the gym that is way beyond my capabilities at present, I tend to stare a little bit. It's only natural I think... Take it as a nod of respect and show 'em how it's done! If it really bothers you though, scream "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU STARING AT?!?!" That ought to do it ;)-

Thrawn
04-01-09, 8:54 am
You will get used to it. You can like it or not, ppl WILL stare. What you CANNOT do, is let it bother you. So what if they stare? You DO what you GOTTA DO. There should be NOTHING that could distract you from your task.
I know from experience that ppl staring at you at meets can make you a bit nervous. But learn to turn that into productive. They stare, but you are THERE where you need to be. UNDER the weight. Ignore them and just keep on DOING work.

Hybridtheory2o
04-02-09, 1:10 pm
Do me a favor bro...Dont do what I started doing...I am 5'9' and a mesomorph..I can pack on lean mass pretty easy but heres what I did...started off at like 140lbs when I was a junior in highschool..Im now 23 years old at 205lbs. As I started to look better and different form the average male girls notice and then they will come along and try to tell you that you dont need to get bigger and that they dont like real big guys and you look good and this and that. Please dont listen lol and just say your right I dont NEED to but I WANT to.

Its just really easy to fall off the wagon once you really start catching the eyes of all the ladies lol and they WILL say what I said above.

Other than that you need to have the mentality of diet>training session. Took me a long time to realize how big diet played a part. As far as getting too fat like you are worried about. Your body will take time to change so you will see it coming. You wont wake up with 30lbs of fat on ur ass and hips lol

If you start to get a little bloated I reccomend doing a little cardio on the stationary bike or something do some interval training.

Good Luck you will get to where you wanna go eventually just dont give up no matter what ANYONE says!

ATLAS64
04-07-09, 3:42 pm
Hybrid Theory...I know what you mean...last gf bitched at me EVERYTIME I bulked. She complained about my eating,protein gas, waistline getting bigger, protien gas, cuts going away, gas...yea

Thus... she is an X

Zack_Attack
04-09-09, 7:13 pm
ATLAS64, lol at the way you wrote that.

Hybridtheory2o, for now I am focusing primarily on strength. I hate going thru bulk/cut cycles. To look anything like McGrath I must get much stronger. So I will merely keep my diet in check and indulge now & then. Once I get my lifts up to much more respectable levels, I will incorporate more of a body building approach to focus on hypertrophy.

Thrawn, J-Pile, rcrott1, I hear you guys. Its natural for a beginner "athlete" like me to fuss. I need to get used to it because I am realizing people will stare. I am sure many Brothers relate.

How about outside the gym? How often do Brothers have people gawk at you or give you "extra attention" in a grocery store, a mall, or a restaurant?

Incline Bench Press Max Attempt @ 195
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzYEdjhCIJU

9 month Progress Summary:

START Jul '08 : SQUAT 165, BENCH 215, DEAD 260 = 640, 28" Box jump

CURT Apr '09 : SQUAT 270, BENCH 250, DEAD 355 = 875, 34" Box jump

GOAL Jul '09 : SQUAT 315, BENCH 275, DEAD 375 = 965, 36" Box jump

GOAL Jul '11 : BENCH 400, SQUAT 500, DEAD 600 = 1500, 45" jump

9 month BENCH Progress: +35 lbs
9 month SQUAT Progress: +105 lbs
9 month DEADL Progress: +95 lbs
9 month Box Jump Progress: +6"

ATLAS64
04-09-09, 8:00 pm
Hey Zane,
Dont worry about attaining the body some1 else has...work on U. Be the guy one day where people are looking up to you wondering how you got so big..the way people look up to Frank. Carve your body..dont worry about his..
Good luck bro

Zack_Attack
04-09-09, 8:22 pm
ATLAS, what I really worry about is if I'll someday be able to catch up to that bench of yours..sweet mary

ATLAS64
04-09-09, 8:43 pm
Thanks man..looks like you've set a long term goal for july 2011 to be there..keep bustin your ass bro!

Mizzarler
04-10-09, 12:16 am
this is wesmantooth from youtube...great work zach! your squat has gone up over 100 pounds! keep at it bro...also what song did you use in your incline bench max vid, it was tight

Zack_Attack
04-10-09, 6:13 am
Sup Mizzarler, yes I am very pleased with my Squat improvement. Goes to show how well & quickly legs are capable of responding. I think the over-training bug is over-hyped when it comes to leg training. They are capable of much more than lifters believe. I am sure some Brothers will agree with me on this.

The song is "Breath Machine" by Momentary Sound Action - some artist on YouTube

OPSNORM
04-10-09, 1:50 pm
Dude Your Comment On Staring Gave Me A Goodlaugh. Its True When People Stare You Are Thinkg Wtf, Now I Kinda Like It Sometimes I Feel They Walk By To Kinda Size Up To Me But I Lock In Tight And Stand Up As Straight An Dtall As I Can Get. I Am Past The Point Of It Bothering Me, Now I Wonder If They Think I Am Sponsored Becasue I Almost Always Have A Animal Shirt On. Call Me A Cheeseball But This Is Been Prob The Best Forum I Have Come Across And Sniff Sniff "i Love Ya Guys" J/k I Like How People Are Real In Here

Zack_Attack
04-14-09, 4:58 am
Last time I tried to DL 360, it was cemented. This time I managed it, but suffered a grazed burn above right knee and also had to interrupt my workout to use the bathroom! Anyone else have a similar experience with a ME Deadlift or Squat? Literally squeezed the crap out of me...

DEAD 360x1 PR / Restroom / Graze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXb3hb8aYRU

Jonisocool
04-14-09, 8:06 pm
lol at turning the camera on while on the shitter.

Mizzarler
04-15-09, 4:33 am
nice pr zach! 365 is right around the corner...i get those scrapes all time time, i love em : )

Zack_Attack
04-17-09, 10:30 am
Mizzarler, we are truly brothers! Can't believe you said u luv em scrapes. Our minds & hearts definitely connected!

Jonisocool, ha haa , a lil bit of variety never hurt nobody

BamBam
04-17-09, 1:00 pm
Congrats on the PR bro and I love those scrapes man. I get em' up the shins all the way up to my thighs! Makes you look like the warrior you are with the battle scars to show it.

IN IRON,
BB-

DanTheMan
04-17-09, 2:08 pm
hah! i know exactly what you're talking about. my legs sometimes get really dry and that shit looks nasty because the bar is rubbing up against the dead skin...sometimes i lotion up my legs hahahaha. but i've "turtleheaded" during a squat set before. never a deadlift set. but keep gettin big dog

Q
04-18-09, 5:18 am
Haha, the scrapes are part of the game. I have bled through my sweats a few times. I got a couple funny looks when I went up to the front desk back to my school gym and asked for the disinfectant, a rag, and a band-aid. Had to explain that the disinfectant was for the bar, and not me.

Zack_Attack
04-22-09, 7:05 pm
DanTheMan & Q, glad you guys can relate! I know these scrapes are gonna get more frequent and uglier as the weights get heavier, ha, battle scars like Bam Bam said.

Things are looking better in the mirror. Operation McGrath update coming in a few weeks. Will post pictures, stats, progress made, and splits/results since I started.

I encourage all of you, regardless of current level, to strive to progress daily.
The key to any goal is CONSISTENCY. So if you missed your workout, hit the gym asap.

IN IRON ..ya I know I'm copyin my man :)

D-Bomb
04-22-09, 8:51 pm
ah yes, the inevitable shit during legs or Back workouts...you better be able to sprint for at least 2 flights of stairs to avoid a lovely brown clump of clay rolling out your pants...lol well...for those of us free-balling...hahaha...
Deadlift will come man, gotta be aggressive with the weights!

Zack_Attack
04-27-09, 9:26 pm
LEGS: BoxSquat Lunge JumpSquat FrontSquat BackSquat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AEk3IXuDzw

shizz702
04-27-09, 9:35 pm
Way to keep up the fight bro! Glad to see you still making such good progress!

Zack_Attack
04-28-09, 7:25 pm
Yo shizzy my nizzy, appreciate that!

Brothers, critique my grueling strength/size routine I have put together.

12-15 heavy sets per day in the 1-5 rep range.

After finishing the tougher sets, I will perform few sets of any exercise for that muscle at light weight or use machines for 15-20 reps (using drop sets if needed) to induce some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Day 1: Delts : DB Presses, Standing Military, Behind Neck Press, Lat Raises, Rear Delts

Day 2: Glutes / Hammys / LowBack : Good Mornings, SLDL, Hip Pull Thru, Back Raises

Day 3: OFF

Day 4: UpperBack / Biceps : BB Rows, Lat Pulls, Seat Rows, 21s, Chin-ups, Spider Curls

Day 5: Chest / Triceps : Bench, C-G Bench, Inc Bench, Inc DB, Flat DB, Dips, Flys

Day 6: Quads : Dead lift, Back Squat, Box Squat, Front Squat, BB Walking Lunge, Leg Ext

Day 7: OFF

Will also rotate one or more of the following daily depending on how I feel:
Bear Complexes, OH squats, RC exercises, Calf raises, Forearms, Abs, 20-30 min bike at 60-70%

Diet will average 2500 cals at 40/40/20

I will do the above routine for no more than 3 weeks since it will be very taxing. After that I will post pics/results and start on a 5x5 program.

Zack_Attack
05-01-09, 5:13 am
Brothers, I have had a change in plans.

In order to get big, muscular, and defined like Wrath, I think it is imperative I concentrate on fat loss for the month of May. I have gained few lbs muscle and lost a little fat since the January 2009 pics on my homepage www.zackattack.info
So I am going to concentrate on refining what I have for now.

I ran into what seems to be a great program 'Destroying Fat' many Brothers would find useful. Supposedly it will allow you to hold on to maximum muscle, possible gain a little, while losing maximum fat in a short period of time.
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282

I started the program tonight. Don't know if its a bad idea, but I am adding 1 ME exercise on upper body day and 1 ME exercise on lower body day. The ME exercises will be rotated.

CHEST & BACK

ME: Flat Bench Press 235 x 1 (PR is 245)

Inc Bench: 155x6 / 155x5
ss with
db Fly: 35x6 / 40x6

Chin-ups: Assisted Machine 6 reps / 6 reps
ss with
Straight Arm Pull Down: 60x6 / 70x8

Flat db Press: 75x5 / 80x4 / 85x2 / 75x4
ss with
Free Motion butterfly: 50x8 / 50x8 / 50x8 / 50x8

Chin-ups: Assisted Machine 6 reps / 6 reps
ss with
Rear Delt Machine: 60x8 / 60x8 / 60x8 / 60x8

- Alactic Work tomorrow (mini sprints up to a total of 300 m)

Zack_Attack
05-15-09, 7:17 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1znfEj-VDE

JasonG
05-15-09, 8:11 am
Subbed. I'll check out your videos when I get off this government computer, they're blocked here. Anyway, I think you should rename this Operation Zack Attack. Wrath is a huge inspiration I know, but focus on a huge Zack. Make sense?

Zack_Attack
05-17-09, 6:01 pm
JasonG, my man, I respect your input and it does make sense, but ... I consistently watch and salivate over Wrath (in the most non-**** way). Operation McGrath it is. That title keeps him in the back of my mind as I grind out set after set. Its what I need to stay focused and motivated.

shizz702
05-17-09, 6:07 pm
Hey Zack, how ya been bro and how is this new routine going for you?

Zack_Attack
05-17-09, 6:20 pm
Hey Zack, how ya been bro and how is this new routine going for you?

Bro, I quit the routine from T-nation posted above after a week. Even though it would have surely help me get defined, I felt I was getting weaker fast. Not only is the article about 'Destroying Fat' I can see how it would be 'Destroying Strength Gains'

So I have switched to a PowerBuilding approach as suggested by a couple bros here.
Doing the following split for the past week (allows squat every other day) and loving it:

day 1: bench/triceps/squat - (War day: 3 hour workout)
day 2: back/biceps - 1.5 hr workout
day 3: lighter squat day - 45 min work out + sprinting
day 4: REST
Repeat...

Zack_Attack
06-08-09, 6:56 am
Bench 215 225 155x9 / FSQ 215 (PR) 195x3 / Military 100x8 / Skulls 80x10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxp1m_ufsGQ

Meister
06-08-09, 1:08 pm
Hey bro

I gotta give it to you...you got balls doin deads in flip flops i would NEVER do that man hahahaa but shit more power to you bro...lookin good keep it up. Just know that you dont want to look like wrath man you want to be bigger...just give it time and train hard who knows what will happen man. Keep it up man stay strong and set your goals for you and try not to imitate someone else....

"No man ever achieved greatness by imitation." Just think about it man good luck with the trianing.

BeastCook
06-09-09, 8:44 pm
hey bro keep it up, raise them numbers and when ya ready start that bodybuilder split! your gonna make it big!!!!

Cstlfx
06-10-09, 1:14 am
Hey man, you are hitting it hard!! Keep it up, you're coming along very well.

Zack_Attack
06-12-09, 3:06 pm
Cstlfx, Meister, BeastCook, thanks for the kind words brothers. I have no problem with strength & size coming as time goes on. What I am very worried about is definition & my mid-section.

Every time I watch Wrath, I wonder how the hell did the guy manage to get that Big & Sexy (again..i mean that in the most non **** way). I am afraid that my waist circumference which is currently at 37" is only gonna get bigger along with my chest and legs.

I think Wrath is smthg like 53" chest and 30" waist. WTF?????????? How do you pull that off? I am now on a diet of around 2500 cals 40% protein 35% carb 25% fat, but I'm thinking of making it stricter..50/30/20. Perhaps that along with short duration intense cardio 2x a week can allow my waist to shrink and other muscles to hypertrophy?

Any body else been thru my dilemma?

Muscleguy93
06-12-09, 3:23 pm
Genes... Sorry to say it but you gotta work with wut ur oldman gave u. Wrath just has a small waist, that's how he's built. Also who the fuck cares how fat u get? Bulk! Think about this... It takes YEARs to put on 100 lbs of MUSCLE but months to burn 100 lbs of FAT. I used to be out of shape yet my wasit was small... Becuz of how my body stores fat.

Powerboy93
06-13-09, 11:00 pm
He is like 27 yo or something n lifting since highschool... Takes lots of time to become wrath

DanTheMan
06-14-09, 4:12 am
maybe instead of short intense cardio, make it about 40 of moderate to burn off whatever fat you can in the morning before you eat. 2-3 times should be good enough if you're still bulkin. just help try to shortcircuit any uncessary fatbuild up ya know

Zack_Attack
08-12-09, 1:39 am
I am a year into my Quest for Strength and a much better Physique.

I made a video compilation of my progress so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA7qHv4C9Po

Max in Sep '08 ----> Recent ---> Goal by Sep 2012

BENCH : 195 ------> 245 ------> 400

SQUAT : 175 -----> 245 ------> 500

DEADL : 265 ------> 360 ------> 600

Cstlfx
08-12-09, 2:02 am
All right man!! Good to hear you're still doing well!

I do have to say you should check out some powerlifting videos, for the form, if you're going for maxes. If you get the power form, your weight should go up even faster!

Keep up the good work bro, you have come a hell of a long way!

Vinnie Lota
08-16-09, 8:26 pm
Can someone help me get a body like Frank McGrath, exactly what to eat, supplements, diet, workouts etc. If you need to know I am 16 years old.

npeezy
08-16-09, 9:27 pm
Can someone help me get a body like Frank McGrath, exactly what to eat, supplements, diet, workouts etc. If you need to know I am 16 years old.

Nothing can get you a body like Wrath. Only Wrath can get a body like Wrath.

That said, you CAN build muscle by eating lots of protein, supplementing with the basics and lifting hard and heavy...

Firefist
08-16-09, 9:37 pm
there is a thread on here somewhere exactly like this.

at 16, you got a hell of a long time to build it up. i think wrath is 31 right now, and it took him years and years of hard work to look like the wrath we know. that being said, im asuming that by saying "i want to look like frank mcgrath", you mean, "i want to be fuckin jacked and big as a freight train".

at 16, dont even look at supps. try animal pak or a multivitamin at most, maybe some whey. dont get caught up in the supplement game. they arent as special as you think they are. Just eat, really, its that simple. Dont be afraid to put a little fat on. Lift hard and heavy. its that simple really. if there is any formula to get you huge its this...

big eating + Strong heavy lifting= a big, strong and heavy dude. that should be your first priority now.

Pizzalamp
08-16-09, 9:43 pm

at 16, you got a hell of a long time to build it up. i think wrath is 31 right now, and it took him years and years of hard work to look like the wrath we know. that being said, im asuming that by saying "i want to look like frank mcgrath", you mean, "i want to be fuckin jacked and big as a freight train".

at 16, dont even look at supps. try animal pak or a multivitamin at most, maybe some whey. dont get caught up in the supplement game. they arent as special as you think they are. Just eat, really, its that simple. Dont be afraid to put a little fat on. Lift hard and heavy. its that simple really. if there is any formula to get you huge its this...

big eating + Strong heavy lifting= a big, strong and heavy dude. that should be your first priority now.
great post!!

mritter3
08-16-09, 10:12 pm
great post!!

x2 man!!!!

Stovall
08-16-09, 11:33 pm
Anti hit that right on the head. Eating is everything. All the supps in the world cant help you if you don't eat a shitload of food. Good luck bro.

violator
08-17-09, 2:59 am
....big eating + Strong heavy lifting= a big, strong and heavy dude. that should be your first priority now.

good advice.... also start reading everything u can on this site...knowledge will help u in ur quest...also...heres the log of another young cat whos a fuckin monster...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=27104

good luck...lets see how u progress...

theharjmann
08-17-09, 4:23 am

^^^^^^^^ = GOOD SHIT!

dude,

i admire your hunger for this at such a young age.

just a few things though i think you should be aware of though:

1) You cant get the answer from asking what you asked....you can get the answer from years of training and experimenting on your part
2) dont be lazy....do some research yourself! The training and diet sections of this site are VERY helpful...all you need to do is read them
3) when you say you wanna look like McGrath, i dont think you actually mean that....i think you mean you wanna be big, musclular, symmetrical and lean.
4) YOU WILL NEVER LOOK LIKE McGRATH....NOBODY EVER WILL
5) If you wanna have a body like that that people admire....there are gonna be a LOT of days of no partying, no eating shit, training like a dog
6) its a lifestyle...you live it to look like that....you dont just go to the gym a few times a week.
7) it aint gonna happen in a week, a month, a year, or evern 4 years....its gonna take AGES!

but like i said earlier, i admire your hunger at 16...i wish i had that ambition at 16, and i wish i had the knowledge

you have come to the right site to get this knowledge.

to begin with, have a read of these:

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=diet&ID=321

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=350

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=407

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=413

speedster00
08-17-09, 11:11 am
The most important thing people have said is food.....you learn all you want about how to lift and routines. But if you dont put gas in the car, its not going to go.....EAT your ass off.

Mizzarler
08-18-09, 4:21 am
What happened to Zack? He was the man.

Cstlfx
08-18-09, 2:22 pm
What happened to Zack? He was the man.

He posted on the 12th. He's still going strong, just not updating as much. I think this was supposed to be more of a journey, just in the wrong section, so when someone else posted the same idea, someone merged the threads.