PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift shoes?

NightStorm
11-23-08, 11:33 pm
Brothers,

What kind of shoes do you wear while DLing (if you wear shoes that is)?

I've read that wrestling shoes are ideal for DLing. I've been wearing normal sneakers (And 1 walking shoes) for a long time now and as my DL has progressed to heavier weights, I feel the need to move to better suited shoes. I haven't lost my balance yet but I can feel the "pull'.

If any of you can recommend shoes (brand and model), please do.

Thank you in advance.

BCent
11-23-08, 11:55 pm
I gotta say that I've pretty much always worn Converse all stars to DL. Never encountered any problems with them. They're affordable too which is a plus. Hope that helps bro.

Brick By Brick
11-24-08, 12:02 am
chucks.

Cstlfx
11-24-08, 12:12 am
I'm with the herd on this one, a pair of Chucks is the way to go.

If money is no issue with you, you could also try Otomix's shoes. They're pricey, but I've heard good things about them.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-24-08, 12:13 am
chucks!

prowrestler
11-24-08, 1:42 am
i look like an idiot in chucks, my feet aretoo big for them so i look like a clwon lol

anyways, i use the nike boxing shoe. i forget its name though, it is sick for lifting and looks cool too!

pedraza
11-24-08, 9:57 am
I found some shoes yesterday by adidas that are made just for lifting and thats it. really nice and for under 70 bucks. i picked up a pair, so just waiting to get them

McFly
11-25-08, 1:01 pm
i deadlift in wrestling shoes.

GJN5002
11-25-08, 1:28 pm
Nike Free, kinda feel like water shoes but they are awesome. Thin sole with a slightly thicker heel.

NightStorm
11-26-08, 9:36 pm
Brothers,

Thank you for all the replies. I will look into everything you guys mentioned.

Once again this board has helped me out. Thanks again, fellas.

Stay strong.

Sgt Rock
11-27-08, 4:20 am
CHUCKS FOR DEADLIFT....NO WAY! Chucks DO have a heel, you have to pull it that much further. Use wrestling shoes that go high up the shin if you need ankle support. Chucks can be useful for some to squat in but to dl wrestling shoes are better.

Semper Fi

mritter3
11-27-08, 10:00 am
cannot go wrong with chuck taylors

dragondad
11-27-08, 11:36 am
CHUCKS FOR DEADLIFT....NO WAY! Chucks DO have a heel, you have to pull it that much further. Use wrestling shoes that go high up the shin if you need ankle support. Chucks can be useful for some to squat in but to dl wrestling shoes are better.

Semper Fi

Otomix, works for deads, squats, leg press. Can find them on e-bay for a reasonable price and you can get the ones w/extra support for weight training. Also, they are so comfortable. I could wear them all the time, but my wife wont let me. lol

Sgt Rock
11-27-08, 8:53 pm
Bros you guys are missing the key point of a dl shoe. You want it TOTALLY flat with as LITTLE SOLE AS POSSIBLE. Chucks are a quarter to a half inch higher than wrestling shoes, Chucks are NOT the best DL shoes!

Semper Fi

Cstlfx
11-27-08, 11:57 pm
ooo, we are shut down!

Definitely try everything. Clearly Sgt. Rock knows his stuff.

I have to say that I like to train in my chucks, but once I get into really heavy deadlifting, I'm going to try and compete in deadlift slippers.

Supe527
11-28-08, 12:05 am
I agree with Sgt. Chuck's will cause you to have to pull just a little bit further. I pull in Adidas Goodyear shoes. Make sure they are the low tops and the ones that have a flat heel. NOT rounded! They look alot like wrestling shoes.

NightStorm
11-28-08, 11:39 pm
Sgt, I'm looking into the Adidas shoes you mentioned in the "Ask Sgt Rock" thread. Thanks!

TXPWRLFTR
11-29-08, 2:10 am
Find what works best for you bro. Sgt Rock has a point in the heel part but I prefer Chucks.
There are always deadlift slippers...
Just remember you are the one pulling on that platform...find what works best for you.

NightStorm
11-29-08, 10:57 am
TXPWRLFTR, well said brother. Thank you.

Sgt Rock
11-29-08, 11:07 pm
Hey bros, def go with what you want. But if your goal is to lift more weight, and you are super intense about it and want an added advantage, go with wrestling shoes as the sole is less than a quarter inch high, Chucks are twice that so I would wonder why anyone would do that, sumo I may be able to understand due to ankle support, but some new wrestling shoes go high up the shin so they give equal support with optimal heel height. Louie advocates Chucks for SUMO. The best pullers in the world almost ALL wear wrestling shoes or slippers, with a few sumo guys being exceptions, that should say volumes.

Semper Fi

Cstlfx
11-30-08, 1:13 am
See, I had always thought wrestling shoes and chucks were about the same height. I always remember my wrestling shoes being pretty thick. Maybe I just had the wrong pair and based my opinion on that.

But are deadlift slippers/socks worth it? Or are wrestling shoes more beneficial in your opinion Rock?

thsbiglifter
11-30-08, 1:16 am
Anything flat footed really. I use chuck taylors and if I can bare footed then so be it. Just find your fit. I doubt you really need "deadlift" shoes when you can use chucks or wrestling shoes

Vinny G
11-30-08, 1:56 pm
i'm not power lifter, but i love training in converse all-stars

born0withno0soul
11-30-08, 9:16 pm
if its allowed, whats wrong with barefoot? just a question

Sgt Rock
12-01-08, 8:20 am
Barefoot is not allowed. DL slippers are as close to the floor as you can get.

Semper Fi

Cstlfx
12-08-08, 10:34 pm
All right, I did some research on the net and quite a few people started to suggest vibram five fingers. Never heard of them, so I looked it up. If you havent heard of these things, take a look. One of the weirdest shows I have ever seen.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Also, I may buy a pair of DL slippers, they are dirt cheap everywhere.

Dingo
12-09-08, 9:51 am
All right, I did some research on the net and quite a few people started to suggest vibram five fingers. Never heard of them, so I looked it up. If you havent heard of these things, take a look. One of the weirdest shows I have ever seen.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Also, I may buy a pair of DL slippers, they are dirt cheap everywhere.

those look interesting, i may have to switch it up.
my current shoes for dl and squat are the nike free 7.0, relatively flat and barefoot in feel, they hug the foot well without restricting natural movement.
http://www.uptempoair.com/ProductImages/20062/313683-001.GIF
http://www.productwiki.com/nike-free-7-0/

BigAnt
12-09-08, 11:27 am
From what I was told, you want to definately wear a totally flat shoe to get lower to the ground and explode with the weight off the floor as fast as possible . Mcfly and Big Al set records in Wrestling sneaks...

IronWilson
12-09-08, 12:30 pm
Alright, so yesterday I trained back and because of this thread and other talk of Chucks being awesome for deadlifts, I wore mine to the gym to try 'em out.

And damn.....what a difference it makes.

Sgt Rock
12-09-08, 8:25 pm
Ok bros this is the last time I am going to post on this subject, it seems like there is still misinformation out there. FOR THE CONVENTIONAL OR SUMO DEADLIFT YOU WANT A SHOE THAT IS AS CLOSE TO THE FLOOR AS POSSIBLE, SNEAKERS, INCLUDING CHUCKS DO NOT CUT IT! YOU WANT A WRESTLING SHOE OR A DL SLIPPER! For sumo where ankle support is needed, Chucks are good, but a wrestlng shoe with a high ankle is just as good for many.

Semper Fi

strivin for more
12-16-08, 8:14 pm
hey, a lot of people are saying chucks, and i used to wrestle (gave it up for lifting) and i have to say the grip and lacing is about the same. just wrestling shoes have smaller soles and are lighter. id personally go with the rasslin shoes.

Thetasteofink69
12-16-08, 10:51 pm
I don't wanna jack this thread, but I hate to start a new topic for something I can get answered here..

I never realized shoes make the much of a difference when deadlifting, just as long as the bottoms are flat.. I own a pair of chucks, but I've never worn them to the gym.. i've been deadlifting in something similar to these, because the bottoms are flat

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/41847714/c/11682.html

After reading all the posts, I'm getting the feeling I should start wearing the chucks.. Is it really going to make a considerable difference though?

Cstlfx
12-16-08, 10:57 pm
I don't wanna jack this thread, but I hate to start a new topic for something I can get answered here..

I never realized shoes make the much of a difference when deadlifting, just as long as the bottoms are flat.. I own a pair of chucks, but I've never worn them to the gym.. i've been deadlifting in something similar to these, because the bottoms are flat

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/41847714/c/11682.html

After reading all the posts, I'm getting the feeling I should start wearing the chucks.. Is it really going to make a considerable difference though?

If you're deadlifting for power, trying to get the most weight up as possible, get the thinest sole possible.

However, if you're just doing it for bodybuilding purposes wear something flat. Just remember, the higher your sole, the more its like deadlifting off of a platform.

So, to answer your question, yes, it will make a difference. You'll be able to pull more weight because its lower to the ground.

HOCKEY TEMPER
01-05-09, 11:29 pm
Wrestling shoes are flat and have a very thin sole...they work well and you can get a pair fairly cheap.

prowrestler
01-05-09, 11:46 pm
interesting fact

me and johnnie jackson pull in the same shoes lol

nike boxing shoes

NightStorm
01-06-09, 8:26 pm
Just picked up a set of Nike wrestling shoes. Can't wait to try them out!

$40 from Modell's. Very light......feels like you're just wearing socks.

McFly
01-07-09, 3:14 pm
Just picked up a set of Nike wrestling shoes. Can't wait to try them out!

$40 from Modell's. Very light......feels like you're just wearing socks.

I started deadlifting in a pair of Asic wresting shoes and love it! I train in them all the time now for everything....

Logan
02-03-09, 2:49 pm
I think a lot of people are using chucks for deadlifting and for a good reason they work. I got a pair of them myself.

NightStorm
04-22-09, 10:30 pm
Hey fellas,

Just wanted to drop a note and say that the wrestling shoes (as Sgt Rock recommended) has been working out really well for me. Definitely take a look at it if your in the market for deadlift appropriate shoes.

ghost
04-23-09, 10:33 am
Ok bros this is the last time I am going to post on this subject, it seems like there is still misinformation out there. FOR THE CONVENTIONAL OR SUMO DEADLIFT YOU WANT A SHOE THAT IS AS CLOSE TO THE FLOOR AS POSSIBLE, SNEAKERS, INCLUDING CHUCKS DO NOT CUT IT! YOU WANT A WRESTLING SHOE OR A DL SLIPPER! For sumo where ankle support is needed, Chucks are good, but a wrestlng shoe with a high ankle is just as good for many.

Semper Fi

um, i think Sgt Rock is trying to tell us something.... haha.

ill be picking up some chucks, because i like them, but wrestling shoes for deads... i have been doing a lot of my deads barefoot lately, but it isnt allowed at meets... bleh.

IRBS
04-23-09, 11:27 am
Here's what I use:

Deadlift Slippers for Conventional Pulling: Less than $10
Chuck's for Sumo Pulling: I think around $40

Either way, it's cheap.

Listen to Sgt Rock.

ghost
04-23-09, 12:34 pm
Here's what I use:

Either way, it's cheap.

Listen to Sgt Rock.

yup yup, just ordered some deadlift slippers for $8. cant beat that price.

noend
04-23-09, 12:54 pm
all black chuck hightops for me.

BigChrisF
04-23-09, 6:56 pm
Chuck Taylor high tops. The same shoes I squat in.

weedlewott
04-24-09, 5:32 am
has anyone checked out the Vibram Five fingers? Dude in the gym out here had them when he was deadlifting and said it was better than going barefoot because he didn't feel as much pressure on the dig. Dunno. Just asking. I don't know if they're even allowed, because it's practially being barefoot, but maybe someone can do some looking into it. I'd personally like to know before i venture out and buy some if anyone else has had a good experience with them. As for now, i go barefoot when I can and running shoes when I can't. It's the only pair I own, but i'm standing good at 405 with them right now.

Bard of Rage
04-24-09, 10:12 am
I've gotten a pair of Vibram's myself recently but haven't tried to deadlift with them yet. They do seem good for stabilization so far when it comes to squatting at least. My only real complaint is that when I did standing calf raises I felt the weight on my feet quit a bit. If you plan to run with them they make for a decent calf workout since your forced to run on your toes. First time I ran I really felt the burn within a few minutes.

Cstlfx
04-24-09, 3:10 pm
Here's what I use:

Either way, it's cheap.

Listen to Sgt Rock.

I have a pair of the slippers as well, but I really enjoy the ankle support from the wrestling shoes. So, its always a toss up that I have to think of before I lift.

Also, because I'm not a wrestler, I just went for the cheapest pair of shoes I could find. A lot of clearance when they're not in season. I ended up getting mine for $40.

Lunchead
12-11-11, 11:32 pm
dont run on yur toes, you'll get shin splints, I pulled the insides out from a pair of regular shoes (dekline hightop skateshoes) so its just a thin sole between me and the floor... the shoe was pretty old too so the sole is worn pretty thin