PDA

View Full Version : keto bulk

miketyson789
11-25-08, 5:20 pm
so ya i was wondering if i ate a high calorie keto diet like 500-1000 cals above maintaince, would it be similar to a clean bulk? has anyone tried this?
im looking to stay between 10-12% body fat but gain about 10 pounds of muscle on my frame

Thetasteofink69
11-25-08, 5:36 pm
I wouldn't use a keto diet for a bulk.. I guess you could give it a shot, but I don't think keto over a long period of time is the best thing for your body.. You can still clean bulk without going keto

miketyson789
11-25-08, 5:45 pm
i thought keto diets were healthy if u kept most of the fats healthy?
the main reason i want to use it is that i feel better when im in a state of ketosis then when im eating carbs. plus my body doesnt use carbs very well i usually get fat. even if i went on a clean bulk with like 200grams of carbs i would still put on more fat then i want.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-25-08, 6:39 pm
ketones burn fat, so while it will keep you lean.. i doubt youll add mass..... look at Ox's thread, you can learn lots about keto and as him qestions...

simpleguy
11-26-08, 6:48 am
according to Palumbo you can as long as you keep the cheat meal... but I've gone through keto and while I did lose fat, I felt my recovery sucked ass big time... it's true that I was in a calory deficit, but I just feel I need carbs to recover... whatever works for you

sanga
11-26-08, 7:06 am
You are overcomplicating things here, excess calories over maintainance will have you gaining weight regardless of where those calories come from.

You need to get the protein in, IMO 2g per lb of bodyweight, I`d also use carbs around training times, especially PWO, the rest of the time you can use fats if you want to but your workouts if not dieting should IMO be fueled by carbs, your bodys preferred source.

I`ve done it both ways and in my expereince a gaining cycle should contain carbs.

If you want to keep lean then do cardio and have carb cut off times, i.e. no carbs except PWO after 4pm, its trial and error.

GJN5002
11-26-08, 9:43 am
I think weight management/gainig/losing is more complicated than calories in vs out. Yes that plays a major role but different calories have different physiological effects on the body. It all depends on your school of thought. Keto is great for losing weight by why do you think OX adds carbs off season and Palumbo advocates it as well. Dr Di pasquali does a variation of keto for fat loss and says you can use it to bulk but advises you use carbs too (low carb). others however like dr scott connely think you dont need carbs post workout but he advocates some crazy medical grade iso whey that costs like 90$ for 2 lbs. In my opinion your recovery will suffer as well as your will to do this. Eating is fun and it makes us happy. I look forward to off season when Im dieting and its like a break. I reward myself with food for beating my own ass at the gym. The only way to find out is to try but to bulk I think you should atleast be using carbs pre and post workout with a cheat mela on the weekend. It may hinder fat accumulation but I think you will grow slower too.

Thetasteofink69
11-26-08, 1:05 pm
i thought keto diets were healthy if u kept most of the fats healthy?
the main reason i want to use it is that i feel better when im in a state of ketosis then when im eating carbs. plus my body doesnt use carbs very well i usually get fat. even if i went on a clean bulk with like 200grams of carbs i would still put on more fat then i want.

They're healthy, but I still think that in the long run your body should be getting a lot more nutrients than it does.. I'm on a keto diet right now.. It's cool and all, but I think it lacks nutrients you get from stuff like fruit, milk etc.

If you gain too much fat, just cut carbs back, cut fat back a little, and throw some cardio in