PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder

DieselDoctor
11-26-08, 12:39 pm
I'm in the middle of a bulk trying to put on as much mass as possible. The other day I was was doing Db presses on the flat bench and tweaked my shoulder. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but since then my shoulder bugs the hell out of me when I lift even semi heavy.

My question is should I cut my bulk short and start cutting so I can give my shoulder a break, or just take an entire week off and see how the shoulder feels after? The shoulder isn't horrible by all means just gets sore, but I'm afraid if I keep pushing it thing will only get worse.

simpleguy
11-26-08, 12:48 pm
well even if you're gonna cut you'd still have to train delts, so it doesn't really have much to do... maybe take a week off, throw in some animal flex, use ice packs, and probably ask BigAnt in his q&a thread on here, he knows a lot about injuries

Aggression
11-26-08, 12:54 pm
well even if you're gonna cut you'd still have to train delts, so it doesn't really have much to do... maybe take a week off, throw in some animal flex, use ice packs, and probably ask BigAnt in his q&a thread on here, he knows a lot about injuries

Agreed.

Cutting doesn't mean you train less heavy bro. Take some time off, try some safer shoulder movements (smith machine, Hammer Strength). If that fails, go see a doctor.

simpleguy
11-26-08, 12:56 pm
Agreed.

Cutting doesn't mean you train less heavy bro. Take some time off, try some safer shoulder movements (smith machine, Hammer Strength). If that fails, go see a doctor.

I know it's maybe just me but usually I am having more trouble when cutting with my joints... first off, pretty obviously, it's the knees from the cardio and leg training - but probably taking in less cals doesn't help either

DieselDoctor
11-26-08, 12:59 pm
Thanks Guys,

One of the reasons I've been able to go a lot heavier is from taking flex. All the joint pain I used to feel daily is gone. After starting Flex I'll never go off it.

Aggression
11-26-08, 1:02 pm
I know it's maybe just me but usually I am having more trouble when cutting with my joints... first off, pretty obviously, it's the knees from the cardio and leg training - but probably taking in less cals doesn't help either

Of course. Same with me. I still train as heavy as I can though (6-12 reps). I hate when I hear people saying that they're doing higher reps bc they want to get cut. But then again, I had the same mindset when I was less knowledgeable. That's the beauty of this forum. Our younger guys have access to more information than I ever had.

DieselDoctor
11-26-08, 1:12 pm
Kind of off topic a bit I guess, but do you think I'm ready for a cut in the first place? My main goal is to bring my chest up....These pictures are a few weeks old. These pics I was 243lbs....Now I'm around 250lbs.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/fishinsecretsea/DSC00640-1.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/fishinsecretsea/DSC00637-1.jpg

Until just recently I never really tried bulking or cutting. I just hit the weights to keep me sane and feeling good.

Aggression
11-26-08, 2:17 pm
If you're not gearing up for a competition or any type of meet, then the choice to continue to bulk/cut down is totally up to you bro. If you're trying to bring up your chest, I'd continue bulking. Its awfully hard, if not impossible, to bring up a lagging body part while cutting down.

DieselDoctor
11-27-08, 9:47 pm
Thanks Aggression....Looks like I'm going to bulk until my chest comes up.

BackRowBack
11-27-08, 10:21 pm
Dude, I was in the exact same position earlier this year. Just give your shoulder a break and do solely rotator cuff exercies for a couple weeks then move back into light DB exercises, but keep doing the rotator cuffs. You don't have to stop the bulk; just focus on your lower body. Machines might work well for you too.

Mizzarler
11-28-08, 12:48 am
hey man i'm in pretty much the same position, i'm just skipping shoulders this weekm its already gotten a lot better over 4 days so it should be fine by next week, i just stuck to hammer strengths and machine flys for my chest workout to just get a workout in, use this as a time to really focus on legs, and back if you can, hell i'm even throwin in an arm session if i can get away with it w/ no pain, where exactly does it hurt? i got lucky and have no problem moving lateral or front raise

DieselDoctor
11-29-08, 11:35 am
It hurts in the back by my shoulder blade...I'm doing chest today, like you guys said I'll just use machines until my shoulder starts feeling better.

I don't know if I was trying to make up for lost time not lifting as much as usual, but I blasted my legs yesterday. It was the first time I had to sit in the locker room for a while preparing myself for the walk to the car!!! Maybe the shoulder getting a little hurt is a good thing....Now I know what leg day is supposed to feel like!

Question about the rotator cuff exersizes I'm assuming I should go really light...like 10lbs?

prowrestler
11-29-08, 2:15 pm
It hurts in the back by my shoulder blade...I'm doing chest today, like you guys said I'll just use machines until my shoulder starts feeling better.

I don't know if I was trying to make up for lost time not lifting as much as usual, but I blasted my legs yesterday. It was the first time I had to sit in the locker room for a while preparing myself for the walk to the car!!! Maybe the shoulder getting a little hurt is a good thing....Now I know what leg day is supposed to feel like!

Question about the rotator cuff exersizes I'm assuming I should go really light...like 10lbs?

light as fuck, rep it out

build up in weight SLOOOOOWLY

naturalguy
11-29-08, 3:04 pm
Get your shoulder checked out, don't guess. Shoulder problems can stick around for a long time if you don't find out what is causing the pain and fixing it.

DieselDoctor
12-04-08, 10:08 pm
Got the shoulder checked out...Doc said I just strained it. Told me to take a week off upper body, and then start really light and move up 25lbs a week. Thanks for all the help guys.