PDA

View Full Version : im just gettin back to bench pressing after 6 months with an pec

prowrestler
11-26-08, 6:35 pm
hey guys. i was wondering if anyone with some experience could lend me a hand?

so after straining my right pec a couple times, i finally feel able to comeback to the bench press. it was a very minor strain and should rehab itself with training.

i just started benching again this week. sunday was my DE bench day. i dont do speed benching yet but i just focus on proper form and makeing sure my pec is alright.

tonight is my ME press day. it will look the same as my DE day but i will look for a 5 pound pr from my DE day. i am slowly gonna make progress back to where i was. makeing sure the weight is not too heavy and perfect form is done.

i have to use a close grip to press though, emphasising tricep strength to move the bar vs pec. slowly building back some strength in my pec and over the course of months, i hope to be back to my normal grip and heavy pressing.

my question is has anyone had a similar injury? and how did you come back from it?

i was told too that board pressing would be a good idea wehn goin heavyer to avoid overstretching the pec.

dave tate says chain,floor presses are good too. but ive only been powerlifting since this june and im to "novice" to be using chains at this point. nor does my gym have them but id gladly buy some if i have too.

any advise or tips on how to come back from this damned injury and get into some good benching again would be very much appreciated.

i have no "mentor" or anyone to guide me here in montreal, so i really do value all of your opinions
-thanks

eric downey
11-28-08, 12:35 am
blood flow heals muscle. so id start doing a few weeks of reps. then try and push the reps to a heavy point. like stay with 12 reps or so but start to push the weight heavier still doing the reps

prowrestler
11-28-08, 12:47 am
blood flow heals muscle. so id start doing a few weeks of reps. then try and push the reps to a heavy point. like stay with 12 reps or so but start to push the weight heavier still doing the reps

good plan

like this:

135x12
185x12
225x12

and so on

i will include work like that on ME day. after my heavier weights are used. not that there that heavy for me but im slowly workin back up

its gonnab e a combo of things

work my way up to 185x20
12 rep pr's
and slowly getting to a 315 close grip press

GJN5002
11-28-08, 12:51 am
Let me know how it goes Im in the same boat. Pec Strain about 5 weeks ago and wont quite heal. Just started doing light incline press with palms inward, swiss ball roll outs, and bosu ball pushups. That routine is courtesy of BigAnt.

eric downey
11-28-08, 12:57 am
Let me know how it goes Im in the same boat. Pec Strain about 5 weeks ago and wont quite heal. Just started doing light incline press with palms inward, swiss ball roll outs, and bosu ball pushups. That routine is courtesy of BigAnt.

the bosu is a beast for push-ups

prowrestler
11-28-08, 12:57 am

give it atleast 2 months aka 8 weeks

did it turn blue or black? bleed? or was it small and it doesnt really hurt that much right now?

i have found a great tool for rehabing it

go to an incline bench press

go to a sleeve of the barbell, now place your armpit on the sleeve of it and lean forwards. have your inured pec forcefully brush against the sleeve and let your body slowly lean forwards as you do that. try doing slow fly motions too. go up and down the sleeve of the barbell. it works great

GJN5002
11-28-08, 1:06 am
thanks, I'll give it a try. Mine hardly bruised or swelled just hurt. Im just worried I'll re-injure it or completely tear it.

MojoMike36
11-28-08, 1:17 am
Go light.

And remember this after you nail your first few heavy sets and you want to try more. Your chest weak but its out of condition, It needs more recovery time and less reps right now.

So don't push it that soon buddy. I'd nurse my chest with maybe 4 total workouts, meaning a month of nice strict and light sets.

prowrestler
11-28-08, 1:34 am
thanks, I'll give it a try. Mine hardly bruised or swelled just hurt. Im just worried I'll re-injure it or completely tear it.

ye, i inly hurt soft tissue thank god
it needs a solid 8 weeks with nothin but ice and heat pads, ligth stretching, not extreme stretching by any means.

after 8 weeks start with the weights again, but my sleeve masasage i told you, do as often as possible