PDA

View Full Version : Extremely skinny guy with questions about the "Squat and Milk" program

TwztedElegance
11-27-08, 4:05 pm
Hey,
I'm a 19 year-old college freshman weighing at an extremely lightweight 125 lb @ 6'2". I've tried working out regularly and eating but just couldn't keep going after seeing small gains of 5-6 lbs over 2-3 months and boring, long routines.. I've decided to get back to the gym next semester (January) and force my body to gain some good sized weight and for this I've been looking at the "Squat and Milk" program. I just have a couple of questions, such as the starting weight. Should I start at a relatively easy weight and continue adding 5 lb every workout or should I start at a harder weight? I guess starting with an easy weight would slow my gains at the beginning but it should even out once I get started with stuff that's heavy, right?

Also, any suggestions about the exact routine? I'll probably work out MWF around 9:30 or so at night.

prowrestler
11-27-08, 4:39 pm
Hey,
I'm a 19 year-old college freshman weighing at an extremely lightweight 125 lb @ 6'2". I've tried working out regularly and eating but just couldn't keep going after seeing small gains of 5-6 lbs over 2-3 months and boring, long routines.. I've decided to get back to the gym next semester (January) and force my body to gain some good sized weight and for this I've been looking at the "Squat and Milk" program. I just have a couple of questions, such as the starting weight. Should I start at a relatively easy weight and continue adding 5 lb every workout or should I start at a harder weight? I guess starting with an easy weight would slow my gains at the beginning but it should even out once I get started with stuff that's heavy, right?

Also, any suggestions about the exact routine? I'll probably work out MWF around 9:30 or so at night.

follow it as described, its a popular one and works well for the most part.

6 pounds in 3 months would mean nearly 25 pounds a year man, that good gaining.
its all about time. time and money are the forgotten factors in getting huge.

you gotta keep at it man. its basic.

eat
train
sleep

do 25 cals per pound of bodyweight and 2 grams of protien per pound of bodyweight. you'll grow. if you get boored with slow gains, i think table tennis is a bit more exciting and fast pace but the muscular gains are probably different......

TwztedElegance
11-27-08, 4:45 pm
yeah, the thing is when i was working out before back home and not at college, i didn't have enough resources for food and stuff so i wasn't eating as much as i should and hence my gains weren't good. over here at university i have access to a shitload of nutritious food and milk and i have a kitchen around for meals at night, so with a consistent and right program i think i should make some heavy gains :) can't wait for next semester, im pumped to get started.

Sho
11-27-08, 5:29 pm
Dude i was the same way in high school. I was 6'6" 140lbs and couldn't gain if my life depended on it, i was terribly ignorant though back then and thought that doing 10000000 bicep curls would make me huge. Its all about time and commitment man, and that goes for all three stated above.. eat, sleep and training. Just stick to the basic compound movements like deads, squats, bench, over head presses, dips and chins, and eat like Takaru Kobayashi your gonna be big in no time. it took me like 3 or 4 years to really get in the groove, but i gained over a solid 80 lbs. Just hang in there bro and never give up.

Zack_Attack
11-27-08, 6:30 pm
TwztedElegance, I feel you. I grew up super skinny and a weakling,,was a measly 120 lbs when I began working out at age 17..could barely bench 75 lbs. Things got worse for me after a traumatic brain injury at age 19. Heavy weights and weight gainer protein powder worked wonders for me. Even though alot of the gain was fat, I felt SO much better not looking puny anyomore.

I hope you follow my recommendation..I bet it will work..buy a weight gainer powder that gives you 1000+ calories and perform heavy compound movements (most you can lift for 3-5 reps) and you will GROW FAST!

V Man
11-27-08, 6:42 pm
OK - its nothing more simple than the following

Work each body part once per week - so thats five days training with 2 off in a week.

For large body parts - do 24 - 32 sets (Back, legs) and smaller body parts between 8 - 16 sets and train with the sort of intensity and insanity where you feel like your going to end up in hospital and then need a week of psychotherapy to get over it - by the way, If you've not read the articles read "intensity or insanity" in the "livin" section of this website (p.s. You WILL know when a training session is "over" with regards to how many sets you need to do - you will just feel it) There you go. One hour a day, five days a week. Then the rest of the time (163 hrs) is your own. Go home and rest, chill out, hang with your buddies, persue other interests and have a life out side the gym.

Oh, and one more little detail. You have to eat like someone has a gun to your fucking head. You say your 125 lbs and cant gain a pound? ok eat 6000 calories a day. eat 9 meals. Still not gaining? eat 12 meals. still not gaining? eat 15 meals and keep going and going. Its biologically impossible to not gain weight eating that much. eat, eat, eat, eat, eat. Eat like a disgusting freak with some kind of mental problem and then eat some more. Eat til you puke, and then eat to replace the calories you just threw up.

Good luck - happy eating :)

BryanSmash!
11-27-08, 7:25 pm
If Intensity or 'I'= (20 rep squat program)
If K= (Calories ingested>Calories burned)
If Consistency or 'C'= (10 weeks)
Then:
I+K+C= A new wardrobe for you buy because you're going to grow right the fuck out of the one you have now.

Simple math my friend.

TwztedElegance
11-27-08, 8:23 pm
TwztedElegance, I feel you. I grew up super skinny and a weakling,,was a measly 120 lbs when I began working out at age 17..could barely bench 75 lbs. Things got worse for me after a traumatic brain injury at age 19. Heavy weights and weight gainer protein powder worked wonders for me. Even though alot of the gain was fat, I felt SO much better not looking puny anyomore.

I hope you follow my recommendation..I bet it will work..buy a weight gainer powder that gives you 1000+ calories and perform heavy compound movements (most you can lift for 3-5 reps) and you will GROW FAST!
Good going man we should learn from your dedication.

I was gonna start the 20-rep squat program in Jan when I'm back in college after the christmas break, but until then maybe I can try heavy compound movements and heavy eating. What do you recommend? 3-5 reps of max weight bench press, squats, dips? just 1 set or should i rest and do more sets? and work out 3x a week?

Oh, and one more little detail. You have to eat like someone has a gun to your fucking head. You say your 125 lbs and cant gain a pound? ok eat 6000 calories a day. eat 9 meals. Still not gaining? eat 12 meals. still not gaining? eat 15 meals and keep going and going. Its biologically impossible to not gain weight eating that much. eat, eat, eat, eat, eat. Eat like a disgusting freak with some kind of mental problem and then eat some more. Eat til you puke, and then eat to replace the calories you just threw up.Yea I definitely need to eat a lot more and I've been increasing portions at every meal, and am upto around 2500-3000 cal/day and gonna work on increasing it.

Thanks guys..

prowrestler
11-27-08, 8:48 pm
Good going man we should learn from your dedication.

I was gonna start the 20-rep squat program in Jan when I'm back in college after the christmas break, but until then maybe I can try heavy compound movements and heavy eating. What do you recommend? 3-5 reps of max weight bench press, squats, dips? just 1 set or should i rest and do more sets? and work out 3x a week?

Yea I definitely need to eat a lot more and I've been increasing portions at every meal, and am upto around 2500-3000 cal/day and gonna work on increasing it.

Thanks guys..

3000-3300 cals a day is what your lookin at man, i take it you got a rocket for a metabolism.

TwztedElegance
11-27-08, 9:03 pm
3000-3300 cals a day is what your lookin at man, i take it you got a rocket for a metabolism.

Hahaha yeah so I gotta be really consistent. Even 1-2 days of not eating big will probably result in a significant weight loss.

prowrestler
11-27-08, 9:06 pm
Hahaha yeah so I gotta be really consistent. Even 1-2 days of not eating big will probably result in a significant weight loss.

7 days a week, 52 motherfuckin weeks a year.

dont miss a single on of those meals and i promise you huge gains.

my buddy naturaly went from 215 at 9%bf to 300 at 25%bf from january to the end of summmer. he gained fat too but he looked jacked as fuck. still veigns in the biceps. he was thick as a house and wide as fuck. big boned man he was, 6 foot 2 and 300 is no man you wanna fuck with. deads 5 plates for working sets. side laterals the 90's

BackRowBack
11-27-08, 10:26 pm
Squats and milk is a tried and true program. Honestly go to www.ironmind.com and buy the book "Super Squats". It is well worth the investment and will tell you exactly how to go about the program. It is the best and most proven iteration of the program. It is hard as fuck but is relatively short and WILL get you gains. I did it when I was a freshman with my buddy and while I was on it I gained 9 lbs, he gained 12. For sure do it. You won't be disappointed.

V Man
11-28-08, 7:31 am
"6ft 2 and 300 lbs is no man you want to fuck with" - fuckin A

I went from 160 to 204 in 10 months on a controlled eating/lifting regime. Then cut for 6 months - Im now 185 with 30" waist. Next bulk I want to hit 215 whilst still having some sort of a waistline - which will be tough as Im only 5' 7". But im going to nail it.

The author of this thread is only 19 - I struggled to gain when I was a teenager, but find it much easier now, at 25 and with 10 years of solid training under my belt to gain/lose when I want to. I dunno. Does anyone think his age is a factor?

wedge
11-28-08, 2:28 pm
"6ft 2 and 300 lbs is no man you want to fuck with" - fuckin A

I went from 160 to 204 in 10 months on a controlled eating/lifting regime. Then cut for 6 months - Im now 185 with 30" waist. Next bulk I want to hit 215 whilst still having some sort of a waistline - which will be tough as Im only 5' 7". But im going to nail it.

The author of this thread is only 19 - I struggled to gain when I was a teenager, but find it much easier now, at 25 and with 10 years of solid training under my belt to gain/lose when I want to. I dunno. Does anyone think his age is a factor?

I agree completely. I ate so much crap food in high school, but barely broke 150 lbs soaking wet. Now, in my late 20s, I weigh 204 and look good. All it took was balls to the wall training with compound movements and nutrition.
The "secret" to gaining weight is easy, it just takes time. Eat right, eat right and train your ass of, based primarily on compound movements.

Junkie2
11-28-08, 7:02 pm
Today I finished week 3 of the squat and milk program. I started at 205 and I just repped 230 x 20. A gallon of milk every day. Def looking better.

I completely support this program. Here's a good link:

http://www.bulkingup.moonfruit.com/#/20repsquats/4513061285

This is the log that I follow:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/printlog2.php?Exercise[]=Squat+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Pullovers+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Stiff-legged+deadlift+-+15+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Pullovers+-+20+reps&Sets[]=1&Exercise[]=Bench+press+-+10+reps&Sets[]=3&Exercise[]=Bent+row+-+15+reps&Sets[]=3&Exercise[]=Military+press+-+12+reps&Sets[]=3&TotalExercises=7&mood=yes&weight=yes&cardio=yes&location=yes&length=yes&comments=yes&instruct=yes&firstname=&name=Sample+Recovery+Program.+For+Those+With+Good+ Recovery+Ability.

Good luck bro and PM me if you have any questions.

TwztedElegance
11-29-08, 12:02 am
Thanks bro..I think I'm gonna start out with just the bar and no weights, better to start light than heavy i guess. and then keep adding 5 lbs every workout as usual.

I think I'll go with

Stretches + Warm Up Squats

OH Press 3 x 12
Squats 1 x 20
Pullovers 1 x 20
Dips till failure
Chin ups till failure
Bench Press 3 x 12
Pullovers 1 x 20

I don't think I am a fast recover, so do you think the 20 squats will absolutely kill me? I'm really underweight ( 125 lbs at 6' 2" is REALLY low) so I think even 10-15 squats instead of 20 followed by the other exercises and a lot of food and milk will easily help me gain, as well as recover enough in time for the next workout. Or should I just not be a pussy and go with 20 squats.

stumblin54
11-29-08, 10:24 am
Don't be a pussy and go with the 20 reps. If you don't then you shouldn't be trying to follow the Squats and Milk program. If you are eating all the food you are supposed to be then you will recover, do not worry about this. You'll be sore yes, but if you can't get over being sore then you will not get very big or far with this goal.

Stumblin

TwztedElegance
11-30-08, 4:16 pm
Gotcha. Thanks.

redskin 344
11-30-08, 5:18 pm
2 Questions:

1) Would it be possible to do the 20 rep squat with the front squat rather than the back squat? I find the front squat to be a more effective quad exercise where with the back squat the hips are involved too much and I end up doing a good morning when reps get intense.

2) As silly as it sounds, would someone mind trying the 20 rep one arm suitcase style deadlift with either a barbell or a dumbell? I am going to try it soon to see if it works. I dont know how its gonna be doing 20 reps per hand but that just adds to the intensity which is good..right

ironshaolin
11-30-08, 6:58 pm
Thanks bro..I think I'm gonna start out with just the bar and no weights, better to start light than heavy i guess. and then keep adding 5 lbs every workout as usual.

I think I'll go with

Stretches + Warm Up Squats

OH Press 3 x 12
Squats 1 x 20
Pullovers 1 x 20
Dips till failure
Chin ups till failure
Bench Press 3 x 12
Pullovers 1 x 20

I don't think I am a fast recover, so do you think the 20 squats will absolutely kill me? I'm really underweight ( 125 lbs at 6' 2" is REALLY low) so I think even 10-15 squats instead of 20 followed by the other exercises and a lot of food and milk will easily help me gain, as well as recover enough in time for the next workout. Or should I just not be a pussy and go with 20 squats.

If your recovery is bad, you should cut down on total volume not reps in the big one. Keep 20 reps for one set of squats. I made AWESOME gains on this routine doing a 2 day:
Monday was 20rep squats superset light pullovers, followed by benches and rows. Thursday was the same thing, replace benches and rows with military and chins. Thats it.

I would suggest trying the 3 day to start, but limiting yourself to fewer excersises. Start with the 20rep squat with your 10 rep max. Thats right. Don't puss out on this. don't think that if you set a weight at 95lbs and do a straight 20 that you're doing the squats program. You MUST use your 10 rep max, then take 3 deep breaths in between each rep. As you get deep in teh set, it might turn into more, thats fine. But BREATHE. And decide before you start that you WILL make all 20 reps, no matter what.

Follow that immediately with 20-25lb pullovers for 20 reps. This is for recovery, and to enhance the rib cage stretch. I would only add in 2 other excersises after that, maybe an ab move if you'd like. Pick one push and one pull and do those along with the squats, either for 5x5 or 4x8, whatever you feel better with.

TwztedElegance
12-15-08, 7:57 pm
If your recovery is bad, you should cut down on total volume not reps in the big one. Keep 20 reps for one set of squats. I made AWESOME gains on this routine doing a 2 day:
Monday was 20rep squats superset light pullovers, followed by benches and rows. Thursday was the same thing, replace benches and rows with military and chins. Thats it.

I would suggest trying the 3 day to start, but limiting yourself to fewer excersises. Start with the 20rep squat with your 10 rep max. Thats right. Don't puss out on this. don't think that if you set a weight at 95lbs and do a straight 20 that you're doing the squats program. You MUST use your 10 rep max, then take 3 deep breaths in between each rep. As you get deep in teh set, it might turn into more, thats fine. But BREATHE. And decide before you start that you WILL make all 20 reps, no matter what.

Follow that immediately with 20-25lb pullovers for 20 reps. This is for recovery, and to enhance the rib cage stretch. I would only add in 2 other excersises after that, maybe an ab move if you'd like. Pick one push and one pull and do those along with the squats, either for 5x5 or 4x8, whatever you feel better with.
Yeah, gonna start with exactly that, come January!

Btw, I haven't been in the gym for a while now, so should I start with this workout rightaway or do some conditioning for a bit before getting into the heavy squats workout.

P.S: haha 95 lbs might be a lot for me at this point, remember i weigh just 125 lbs :P I was gonna start with just the bar and work my way up as usual by adding 5lbs every workout.

Can't fuckin wait to start.

TwztedElegance
12-15-08, 8:14 pm
Sorry for the double post, but do you guys recommend any supplements other than a good protein powder, or should I just focus on getting in as much quality food and milk as possible instead?

shizz702
12-15-08, 8:34 pm
Sorry for the double post, but do you guys recommend any supplements other than a good protein powder, or should I just focus on getting in as much quality food and milk as possible instead?

Eat, eat, eat, and eat some more, and be sure to get that gallon of milk a day in, half gallon minimum. For supps I wouldn't worry about much more than the pak, what it's all going to boil down to is the effort you put in the gym and at the dinner table with this routine.

prowrestler
12-16-08, 2:30 pm
Eat, eat, eat, and eat some more, and be sure to get that gallon of milk a day in, half gallon minimum. For supps I wouldn't worry about much more than the pak, what it's all going to boil down to is the effort you put in the gym and at the dinner table with this routine.

yep, keep on eating till you are gaining.

supplements?
-protiens
-creatine.

pretty simple?

simpleguy
12-16-08, 3:08 pm
yep, keep on eating till you are gaining.

supplements?
-protiens
-creatine.

pretty simple?

and throw in the pak for good measure

prowrestler
12-16-08, 3:23 pm
and throw in the pak for good measure

meh, if moneys there i guess so

simpleguy
12-17-08, 4:28 am
meh, if moneys there i guess so

if not, i sometimes used Universal's Daily formula and took 2 of those per day... not as good as the pak, but on a really tight budget it will be fine