PDA

View Full Version : Y&H Gets Meet Ready

Pages : [1] 2

Young&Hungry
11-28-08, 7:59 pm
Football's over fellas, time to get meet ready. For those who haven't followed my past journeys. I'm Carlos, 16 years old 5'9" 190-195 pounds and a OL in football and shot thrower in outdoor track. My PR's in my "core four" are as follows:

Squat - 465
Bench - 275 x 2
Standing Military - 165
Clean - 250

Other lifts:
Split Jerk - 250
Deadlift - 475 sumo, 315-335 x 10 conventional

I had a good season personally, captained the JV team to another back to back undefeated season but varsity was 4-6. We did manage to pull an epic upset over the #4 ranked team in the state yesterday in our last game and won 10-7. Very nice way to end a bittersweet season. In week eight I suffered a deep fracture in the left facet joint of my L5 disc during a game and had to sit out for about three weeks, missing my last two games. Just finished up rehabing and resting and got cleared to return to lifting.

I'm getting ready to prep for my first meet, which is a state-level squat bench clean meet that all the high school football teams send their big dogs to. I'll be lifting in the 180-200 pound weight class and I'm aiming to sweep the lightweight division and bring the strongest man in the state trophy back home to Notre Dame. I'm being smart for a change and easing back into things after this injury, the meet ahead is too important to get reinjured. For now I'm just doing a three day a week Rippetoe's workout with all my lifts between 60-70%. I'll do this for two weeks until I can ramp my percentages back up to my standard 5/3/1 program.

My first cycle is going to be foam box squats, bench with a thumbs grip from the smooth, and regular cleans. Let's get it on.

prowrestler
11-28-08, 8:07 pm
Football's over fellas, time to get meet ready. For those who haven't followed my past journeys. I'm Carlos, 16 years old 5'9" 190-195 pounds and a OL in football and shot thrower in outdoor track. My PR's in my "core four" are as follows:

Squat - 465
Bench - 275 x 2
Standing Military - 165
Clean - 250

Other lifts:
Split Jerk - 250
Deadlift - 475 sumo, 315-335 x 10 conventional

I had a good season personally, captained the JV team to another back to back undefeated season but varsity was 4-6. We did manage to pull an epic upset over the #4 ranked team in the state yesterday in our last game and won 10-7. Very nice way to end a bittersweet season. In week eight I suffered a deep fracture in the left facet joint of my L5 disc during a game and had to sit out for about three weeks, missing my last two games. Just finished up rehabing and resting and got cleared to return to lifting.

I'm getting ready to prep for my first meet, which is a state-level squat bench clean meet that all the high school football teams send their big dogs to. I'll be lifting in the 180-200 pound weight class and I'm aiming to sweep the lightweight division and bring the strongest man in the state trophy back home to Notre Dame. I'm being smart for a change and easing back into things after this injury, the meet ahead is too important to get reinjured. For now I'm just doing a three day a week Rippetoe's workout with all my lifts between 60-70%. I'll do this for two weeks until I can ramp my percentages back up to my standard 5/3/1 program.

My first cycle is going to be foam box squats, bench with a thumbs grip from the smooth, and regular cleans. Let's get it on.

cool man, im down for this one.

Young&Hungry
11-28-08, 8:08 pm
Today was my first day lifting in about three weeks. I spent nearly 45 minutes warming up through riding the bike, dynamic and static stretching, and foam rolling. I lost a bit of flexibility during my recovery so the warmup was a bit tough but everything felt good once I got under the bar. Keep in mind all the lifts today were 70% and under so this is in no way maximal effort, just trying to refind all my grooves and get used to being under some weight. Work sets only shown.

Squat - 280 x 5, 300 x 5, 305 x 5
Bench - 165 x 5, 175 x 5, 180 x 5
Deadlift - 255 x 5 conventional, 275 x 5 conventional, 275 x 5 sumo
Bodyweight circuit - 3 rounds of chins, dips, 45 degree hypers, and incline situps

Bike - about 45 total minutes riding to and from the gym

Mindnumbingly simple and light but it felt damn good to be back under the bar. This was a really good workout. Squat form hasn't missed a beat and the weight felt pretty decent, just lost a bit of explosiveness. Bench was a little rusty but the weight felt solid, just gotta find my groove. Deads agreed with my low back so I was happy with that. Doing the same percenteges on Sunday with a squat-military-clean workout so I'm excited to start my official cycle and get this ramp up period over with.

prowrestler
11-28-08, 8:10 pm
Today was my first day lifting in about three weeks. I spent nearly 45 minutes warming up through riding the bike, dynamic and static stretching, and foam rolling. I lost a bit of flexibility during my recovery so the warmup was a bit tough but everything felt good once I got under the bar. Keep in mind all the lifts today were 70% and under so this is in no way maximal effort, just trying to refind all my grooves and get used to being under some weight. Work sets only shown.

Squat - 280 x 5, 300 x 5, 305 x 5
Bench - 165 x 5, 175 x 5, 180 x 5
Deadlift - 255 x 5 conventional, 275 x 5 conventional, 275 x 5 sumo
Bodyweight circuit - 3 rounds of chins, dips, 45 degree hypers, and incline situps

Bike - about 45 total minutes riding to and from the gym

Mindnumbingly simple and light but it felt damn good to be back under the bar. This was a really good workout. Squat form hasn't missed a beat and the weight felt pretty decent, just lost a bit of explosiveness. Bench was a little rusty but the weight felt solid, just gotta find my groove. Deads agreed with my low back so I was happy with that. Doing the same percenteges on Sunday with a squat-military-clean workout so I'm excited to start my official cycle and get this ramp up period over with.

good work, i know what its like to come back from injury. i gotta fuckin story and a half with my benchpress lol

Young&Hungry
11-28-08, 8:36 pm
good work, i know what its like to come back from injury. i gotta fuckin story and a half with my benchpress lol

Pec/rotator trouble? This was my first "major" injury and it fucking sucks to be truely injured. I've mentally been on a haywire for the past few weeks because I haven't been able to play or train and today was such a huge relase of tension.

prowrestler
11-28-08, 8:43 pm
Pec/rotator trouble? This was my first "major" injury and it fucking sucks to be truely injured. I've mentally been on a haywire for the past few weeks because I haven't been able to play or train and today was such a huge relase of tension.

right pec sadly. im back to close grip pressing

Young&Hungry
11-28-08, 10:16 pm
right pec sadly. im back to close grip pressing

I read a really old Louie article once that told the story of an old Westside lifter coming off a torn pec, so they had him do a ton of close grip work once he was cleared to lift again. This actually aggravated the pec injury even more and irritated his rotator cuff as well. I find this true myself, I can't do a normal close grip with your index on the smooth or closer because my pec doesn't agree with it and I've never been injured there. I use the thumbs length from the smooth grip and it's perfect for me - I can get close and hammer my tri's but I don't have any pec or shoulder irritation.

jer
11-29-08, 10:35 am
Sorry to hear about the injury Carlos. Glad you're back to it though.

When's the meet? Where?

prowrestler
11-29-08, 11:34 am
I read a really old Louie article once that told the story of an old Westside lifter coming off a torn pec, so they had him do a ton of close grip work once he was cleared to lift again. This actually aggravated the pec injury even more and irritated his rotator cuff as well. I find this true myself, I can't do a normal close grip with your index on the smooth or closer because my pec doesn't agree with it and I've never been injured there. I use the thumbs length from the smooth grip and it's perfect for me - I can get close and hammer my tri's but I don't have any pec or shoulder irritation.

i dont do super close like most people, like 10-12 inches apart. it feels good

Young&Hungry
12-01-08, 6:04 pm
Sorry to hear about the injury Carlos. Glad you're back to it though.

When's the meet? Where?

Thanks man, all healed up over here and ready to get back on the grind. It's like the second week of March, I need to get the date finalized but I'm certain that it's happening. It's the big high school state meet, looking to sweep lightweights and outlift everyone in the class above me. It shall be a fun one my man.

i dont do super close like most people, like 10-12 inches apart. it feels good

Good stuff bro, another rehab thing would be to do 25+ reps on assistance chest exercises. Steve Mac used to do crossovers with green jumpstretch bands for two sets of 35 after heavy stone/log days and he liked that for recovery. Another option would be flyes on the sled for high reps.

Young&Hungry
12-01-08, 6:05 pm
Last day of this crap thankfully. Back felt totally fine with some weight on it and I'm ready to get back on track. Today was everything 70% and below per usual.

Squat - 280 x 5, 300 x 5, 315 x 5
Standing Militaries - 105 x 5, 105 x 5, 115 x 5
Cleans - 165 x 5, 165 x 5, 165 x 5

Bodyweight circuit - three rounds of inverted rows, dips, and ab wheel.

That was all. Really excited to get offseason lifting in motion because this is the time of year where I typically make my best gains. I'll have more time to post now and become more a part of this community. After this cycle I'll have some videos up and I'd like to hear some critique. Just two more off days of stretching, cardio, and generally being bored out of my skull until the 5/3/1 destruction commences.

prowrestler
12-01-08, 6:06 pm
Thanks man, all healed up over here and ready to get back on the grind. It's like the second week of March, I need to get the date finalized but I'm certain that it's happening. It's the big high school state meet, looking to sweep lightweights and outlift everyone in the class above me. It shall be a fun one my man.

Good stuff bro, another rehab thing would be to do 25+ reps on assistance chest exercises. Steve Mac used to do crossovers with green jumpstretch bands for two sets of 35 after heavy stone/log days and he liked that for recovery. Another option would be flyes on the sled for high reps.

those flys are good

i used them with grocery shop bought exercise band lmao!

Young&Hungry
12-02-08, 8:13 pm
12/2
Bench - week one of wave

Bench (thumbs length from smooth)
185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5
Added 4 Board, same grip
225 x 10, 245 x 5, 225 x 8
Football Bar Extensions - 105 x 10, 105 x 10, 115 x 6, 105 x 8
DB Rows superset Reverse Pec Flyes - 100's x 20, 105's x 12, 115's x 10, 120's x 8 to 2 sets 20 only supersetted the last two
Concentration Curls superset Band Pushdowns - 2 sets 25

Solid session today. Had a great day on close grip, everything was flying off my chest today. I wasn't digging into my lats enough and it showed on the 225 set, I was unstable and not as fast as the other sets. Not much else to say other than some solid assistance shit and called it a day.

Young&Hungry
12-04-08, 5:17 pm
First lower body day since the injury, yayayayay.

High Pulls -
65% (165) 2x2
70% (175) 2x2
75% (185) 2x2

Thick Handle Trap Bar Deads - 315 x 12, 365 x 10, 365 x 8, 315 x 8
KB Snatches - 3 x 5
Hyperextensions - 4 x 10

Pulldown Abz - 3 sets

dreamBIG
12-04-08, 5:33 pm
First lower body day since the injury, yayayayay.

High Pulls -
65% (165) 2x2
70% (175) 2x2
75% (185) 2x2

Thick Handle Trap Bar Deads - 315 x 12, 365 x 10, 365 x 8, 315 x 8
KB Snatches - 3 x 5
Hyperextensions - 4 x 10

Pulldown Abz - 3 sets

Nice workout man. Good luck with your goals.

prowrestler
12-04-08, 5:53 pm
nice workouts dude

Young&Hungry
12-06-08, 6:29 pm
Stayed the weekend up at Yale with my sister. Had a pretty good time, partied a bit too hard so this morning's workout felt a bit off hahaha but it was still a damn good session.

12/6
Military Press, week one of wave

Standing Militaries - warmups, 120x5, 130x5, 140x5
Rolling DB Extensions - 35'sx15, 40'sx12, 45'sx 10, 50'sx10 PR
Elbows Out Extensions - 3x10 with 40's
Chins - 4 sets max reps
H-Rolls - 15'sx10x4

Rolling Thunder Holds (since when does a dorm gym have a freakin Rolling Thunder) - 4 sets per hand totally forgot the weight

Young&Hungry
12-08-08, 9:13 pm
Shittiest squat workout ever. Weights not even worthy of posting.

13" Box Squat - Warmups were solid, threw some weight on to work up to my work sets of 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5 per usual of wave one. Everything felt awkward, couldn't get the bar to sit right on my traps whatsoever it was always hitting bone. Weight wasn't heavy but it was epically slow. This resulted in my form crashing. I just started crashing down on top of the box, losing my arch, losing my air, losing my tightness, losing my bar speed and the shittiest squat reps of my squatting career ensued. Lightened up a bit and finished the workout, that was about it. Complete and utter shit. Gonna drop the percentages by about 10% for this cycle, maybe it's because of the injury comeback because I should have been owning today's weights.

RDL's off Block - these sucked as well. Lost my arch on quite a few of these. 185 x 12, 225 x 12, 245 x 10, 265 x 8
Single Leg Squats - 3 x 10 up to the 65's
GHR's - 3 x 10 bodyweight, called it a day before it got any worse.

No tears shed here, these days are due every so often and it's just a matter of bouncing back. Need to sleep more, barely got 6 hours last night. I'll just grab my nuts and get ready for more workouts, just re-start at square one again. Light cardio and restoration tomorrow.

TunnelVision338
12-09-08, 1:44 am
What's up Y&H! Sorry I haven't been part of the forvm for a while. I've been fuckin swamped with school and all that bullshit. It's awesome to catch up with ya bro. I've missed you and your sick workouts. My motivation is through the roof right now, and I'm looking to hit a sick total in the upcoming year. Here's my log bro...
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=22326

Check that shit out, your more than welcome to give instructive criticism/motivational shit.

prowrestler
12-09-08, 10:35 am
youll get back into it soon, those shitty days fuel ya fore some time.

i remember about a year ago...bit more actually, i was squatting, it was 11 ocklock at night, i woke up for school at 8 in the morning that day so i was a bit tired.

i go to squat 2 plates, it sucked but i didnt notice it. then i add 25's, i do worse then last week by 3 reps, i take the 25's off and put 10's and i get even less reps!

i got soooo mad i unrack the bar like a power clean and slammed it to the floor when it was loaded!!!!! i was pissed.

i called it a day and went home cause i knew i didn't hqave it in me and i was gonna get hurt if i stayed. but that one workout fueled me for 4 months of solid training.

Young&Hungry
12-10-08, 7:56 pm
Today was bench day.

Close Grip Bench - worked up to 195 x 3, 205 x 3, 225 x 3 got all my reps but they just felt shitty
Incline Bench (thumbs from smooth) - 135 x 12, 155 x 10, 155 x 8, 135 x 10 these felt just as shitty
Bent Over Rows - 135 x 20, 185 x 12, 205 x 10, 205 x 10
Side Laterals - 3 x 15
Rolling DB Extensions superset Panora Pushdowns 3 x 10

Made the decision after this session that I tried to come back to where I was before the injury too quickly and the weights just aren't there. I'm getting my reps in but they're just shitty feeling and not as strong or quickly as they should be. So for my upcoming cycle, I'm at 90% of my old maxes and strictly following the 5-3-1. Hopefully this submaximal work will re-establish the base that I had before the injury and get my real percentages back on track.

No shame in knowing when to scale it back and lay a bigger foundation for bigger numbers in the future with submaximal percentages. This is just a brick house in the making. Really happy that I've learned to read my body so well and can just train and work with the programming from now on, rather than having shitty sessions that are too heavy halfway to the meet and end up bombing or hitting shitty numbers. The rebuild begins Friday with cleans and we'll take it from there brothers. The numbers will be pussy for a while but hey, gotta start somewhere.

I'll be back to training either four days a week or every other again now to rebuild my recovery and work capacity, I can handle this due to the lightened percentages.

Young&Hungry
12-10-08, 10:15 pm
What's up Y&H! Sorry I haven't been part of the forvm for a while. I've been fuckin swamped with school and all that bullshit. It's awesome to catch up with ya bro. I've missed you and your sick workouts. My motivation is through the roof right now, and I'm looking to hit a sick total in the upcoming year. Here's my log bro...
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=22326

Check that shit out, your more than welcome to give instructive criticism/motivational shit.

Glad to see you back in action brother! Us powerlifters are a rare breed here these days and it's nice to have you posting again. Glad to see you're amped up about training, I was fucking psyched myself getting back after it coming off my injury but I went a bit too ego crazy and got sidetracked off my programming so now my head's out of my ass and I'm ready to really start getting strong. I'll be posting in your log soon, I'm done with football now so I have more free time to start posting around here again.

youll get back into it soon, those shitty days fuel ya fore some time.

i remember about a year ago...bit more actually, i was squatting, it was 11 ocklock at night, i woke up for school at 8 in the morning that day so i was a bit tired.

i go to squat 2 plates, it sucked but i didnt notice it. then i add 25's, i do worse then last week by 3 reps, i take the 25's off and put 10's and i get even less reps!

i got soooo mad i unrack the bar like a power clean and slammed it to the floor when it was loaded!!!!! i was pissed.

i called it a day and went home cause i knew i didn't hqave it in me and i was gonna get hurt if i stayed. but that one workout fueled me for 4 months of solid training.

No shame in that bro. We all have days that no matter what we do we're just not gonna be able to hack it, just pride yourself that you didn't skip the gym for some bullshit ache or pain and get back after some rest.

Young&Hungry
12-12-08, 6:07 pm
Solid day today.

Cleans - warmups, 150x5, 175x5, 200x5 the freshman were all gawking, couldn't resist the urge to press the last one
Barbell Stepups - 135 x 12, 155x8, 155x8, 135x10
Shrugs - 275x20, 275x20, 315x12, 365x12, was feeling good so went for 405x8 strapless PR
Hyperextensions - 3x10 with a plate

Landmines superset Hanging Leg Raises - four sets

Really good day, the big advice I got Wendler on programming my clean percentages really worked and the weights felt a ton better today. Been training with one of my sophomore friends lately, he isn't a pussy and listens to me so it's been nice havin a training partner every day. Not much to say about this workout other than it was awesome - time to eat.

prowrestler
12-12-08, 6:11 pm
Solid day today.

Cleans - warmups, 150x5, 175x5, 200x5 the freshman were all gawking, couldn't resist the urge to press the last one
Barbell Stepups - 135 x 12, 155x8, 155x8, 135x10
Shrugs - 275x20, 275x20, 315x12, 365x12, was feeling good so went for 405x8 strapless PR
Hyperextensions - 3x10 with a plate

Landmines superset Hanging Leg Raises - four sets

Really good day, the big advice I got Wendler on programming my clean percentages really worked and the weights felt a ton better today. Been training with one of my sophomore friends lately, he isn't a pussy and listens to me so it's been nice havin a training partner every day. Not much to say about this workout other than it was awesome - time to eat.

sick stuff man

Young&Hungry
12-15-08, 6:27 pm
Worked with Fat Matt and Bill today, first week of the wave.

Standing Military Press - warmups, 115x5, 120x5, 125x7
DB Bench - 70'sx20, 80'sx12, 80'sx8
DB Rows superset Scarecrows - dumbbells only go up to 100's in the school weightroom so I hit some high rep shit today - 31 (PR), 27, 25, 20 with the hundys to 4x12 with 15's and 20's on scarecrows
Barbell Shrugs - 20 rep warmup with 275, 315x12, 315x10, 315x10
Panora Pushdowns - 3 sets, 15-10 reps

Pumptastic session, little more volume than normal but nothing ridiculous. Strict presses felt damn solid, ended up getting two extra reps with ease as advocated by Wendler. Endurance wasn't hot on DB Bench but it wasn't bad for just pressing beforehand. Put on a show with the DB Rows, hundy's never felt so light and that got some good looks today. Hit the shrugs again because I'm really trying to work on my yoke to compensate for my tiny frame. Good stuff today, gonna weigh myself and do some mobility stuff tomorrow.

prowrestler
12-15-08, 6:41 pm
Worked with Fat Matt and Bill today, first week of the wave.

Standing Military Press - warmups, 115x5, 120x5, 125x7
DB Bench - 70'sx20, 80'sx12, 80'sx8
DB Rows superset Scarecrows - dumbbells only go up to 100's in the school weightroom so I hit some high rep shit today - 31 (PR), 27, 25, 20 with the hundys to 4x12 with 15's and 20's on scarecrows
Barbell Shrugs - 20 rep warmup with 275, 315x12, 315x10, 315x10
Panora Pushdowns - 3 sets, 15-10 reps

Pumptastic session, little more volume than normal but nothing ridiculous. Strict presses felt damn solid, ended up getting two extra reps with ease as advocated by Wendler. Endurance wasn't hot on DB Bench but it wasn't bad for just pressing beforehand. Put on a show with the DB Rows, hundy's never felt so light and that got some good looks today. Hit the shrugs again because I'm really trying to work on my yoke to compensate for my tiny frame. Good stuff today, gonna weigh myself and do some mobility stuff tomorrow.

good stuff man, 31 reps...thats allot lol

what the hell does yoke mean? strongman event?

Young&Hungry
12-15-08, 7:22 pm
good stuff man, 31 reps...thats allot lol

what the hell does yoke mean? strongman event?

Yoke = neck and trap massiveness.

This is the definition of posessing the almighty yoke - http://www.elitefts.com/images/PICTURES/yoke.jpg

T o m m Y
12-15-08, 9:52 pm
Sick!

Young&Hungry
12-17-08, 10:10 pm
Got to the gym at 8:30 because I was basically overhauling my room from 4-8. Had to hit the gym because states is only a few months away and I refuse to wonder if I trained hard for that meet. I really didn't feel like much assistance work though so I decided tonight would just be a squat-till-you-fucking-die session.

The volume of this session is dedicated to the big fat Boar who informed me that he nailed a 280 axle clean and press tonight. He has the mall food court to thank for that PR. Strong like a bull.

Close Stance Oly Squat - warmups, 225x20, 255x15, 275x12, 295x10 belt on, 305x10 think this is a PR in reps for this weight, 305x8 belt off
Hit the floor like a smoker after running a marathon
Pullthroughs superset 45 Degree Hypers - 4x10 heavy on pullthroughs, just bodyweight for reps on hypers

Ab Wheel - 3x10
Foam Roll Crunches - 3x20-15
Hanging Leg Raises - 3x15-10

...well that hurt. Hitting up Southside Friday for bench so long as this storm we're supposed to have isn't too bad.

IRONADDICT45
12-17-08, 11:03 pm
wats up bro, boar is my boy and hes told me all about you...i guess he wasnt kidding youre a serious soilder and 16 years old is almost unheard of to have your kind of knowledge and interest in what we do...keep at go get wats yours bro, get that trophy and leave NO stone unturned on your way there pal

TunnelVision338
12-18-08, 1:52 am
Your squatting is fucking rediculous. Can't wait to hear how you ripped shit up at your meet.

Young&Hungry
12-18-08, 8:10 pm
wats up bro, boar is my boy and hes told me all about you...i guess he wasnt kidding youre a serious soilder and 16 years old is almost unheard of to have your kind of knowledge and interest in what we do...keep at go get wats yours bro, get that trophy and leave NO stone unturned on your way there pal

Thanks a lot brother, he's told me plenty about you too. I've been a pretty legit athlete in every sport I've played in my life (baseball, basketball, cross country, competitive cycling, swimming, lacrosse, and now football and track) but still nothing special. This is something where I can reap every ounce of work I put in and something that gives me identity and makes me feel special. Not accepting anything less than dishing out an assbeating to anyone who tries to even come close on the platform in March.

Your squatting is fucking rediculous. Can't wait to hear how you ripped shit up at your meet.

Thanks man, I really think I get more out of just squatting my ass off with loads around 60-70% of my wide stance free squat instead of the little quad assistance work stuff like lunges and stepups. My whole body is lit the fuck up today and it feels real good, and with not doing all that assistance work its just proof of choosing efficiency over the total number of exercises in a workout. Can't wait to get back to pullin' though.

prowrestler
12-18-08, 8:53 pm
good shit in hear man

ahh, the yoke, ive heard of it on elite fts.com and now i know what it is lol

Young&Hungry
12-20-08, 5:58 pm
Bench (paused w/ competition grip) - warmups, 185x5, 200x5, 215x5
Incline DB Press (palms in) - 2x20 @ 60's and 65's
Rotator Bar Pulldowns superset Miniband Pullaparts - 5 sets 15-8 reps
Elbows Out Extensions - 4x10 @ 40's
Fat Bar Curls - 4x10

20 minutes on treadmill, max incline at 3.5 mph.

Pretty okay session overall except my joints felt horrible for some reason today. Extended my warmup but to no avail, shoulders and elbows just ached like hell. It didn't kill my benching except the pain messed up my groove a little bit but it was all good. Assistance work was sharp and had a really sick pump.

Training clean assistance tomorrow at 11AM with the Boar at Golds. Should be a good one.

prowrestler
12-20-08, 10:55 pm
Bench (paused w/ competition grip) - warmups, 185x5, 200x5, 215x5
Incline DB Press (palms in) - 2x20 @ 60's and 65's
Rotator Bar Pulldowns superset Miniband Pullaparts - 5 sets 15-8 reps
Elbows Out Extensions - 4x10 @ 40's
Fat Bar Curls - 4x10

20 minutes on treadmill, max incline at 3.5 mph.

Pretty okay session overall except my joints felt horrible for some reason today. Extended my warmup but to no avail, shoulders and elbows just ached like hell. It didn't kill my benching except the pain messed up my groove a little bit but it was all good. Assistance work was sharp and had a really sick pump.

Training clean assistance tomorrow at 11AM with the Boar at Golds. Should be a good one.

nice day man, very good

Young&Hungry
12-22-08, 6:27 pm
Trained at Gold's with Nicholas. He's looking especially chubby as he prepares to hibernate for the winter and looked like an overstuffed sausage in his briefs.

High Pulls (dynamic)
warmups
175 2x2
185 2x2
195 2x2
205 1x2
Conventional Deads off 100lb Plate - 275x12, 315 2x8, 225x15
KB Swings - 32k bell for 4x15
Tried the reverse hyper but it was killing my sciatica, moved on.
Glute Ham Raises - 50 total reps on a real GHR

Hung in the inversion boots for about 2 minutes for some decompression, felt really good.

Pretty decent session today. Still struggling with my speed off the floor for my high pulls/cleans but my hang has improved quite a bit. Deads were pretty solid, last set at 315 was a complete ballbuster but I got it done. Reverse hyper was surprisingly not agreeing with me yesterday so I just did some glute hams on their new machine. Big Fat Boar squatted well over 600x4 on the safety bar that doesn't have any pads on it. Don't know how that crazy fuck does it but he takes care of business on that bad boy for sure. Other than the Gourmet Heaven feasting afterwards it was just another blah blah assistance day and some good times shooting the shit with Nick. Military pressin' manana.

Pizzalamp
12-22-08, 6:28 pm
whats up carlos...sorry to hear about that injury a while back...hope u have a good xmas and ill see in jan at the abc...

Young&Hungry
12-23-08, 6:55 pm
Week two of the wave.

Standing Miltary Press - warmups, 120x3, 125x3, 135x4
DB Bench - 70'sx20, 80'sx10, 75'sx8, 70'sx10 endurance sucks on these
Hammer Strength Low Rows - 6 sets, 20-8 reps
Dips - 4x12 bodyweight
Hammer Curls - 3 sets to up the 55'sx8

Good session today, military cycle is going well because I was blasting the 135 without an issue today. Looking forward to bumping up that max in a cycle or two. DB Bench kinda sucked because my throwing shoulder has been feeling a bit funky on these lately, making me slow off my chest and grinding out the rest of the lift a bit difficult but nothing horrible in the end. Decided to castrate myself and get on a Hammer machine for some lat work because I just felt like something a little different. All in all a good session with a good pump, looking forward to a little cardio tomorrow and some big eating.

prowrestler
12-23-08, 6:56 pm
Week two of the wave.

Standing Miltary Press - warmups, 120x3, 125x3, 135x4
DB Bench - 70'sx20, 80'sx10, 75'sx8, 70'sx10 endurance sucks on these
Hammer Strength Low Rows - 6 sets, 20-8 reps
Dips - 4x12 bodyweight
Hammer Curls - 3 sets to up the 55'sx8

Good session today, military cycle is going well because I was blasting the 135 without an issue today. Looking forward to bumping up that max in a cycle or two. DB Bench kinda sucked because my throwing shoulder has been feeling a bit funky on these lately, making me slow off my chest and grinding out the rest of the lift a bit difficult but nothing horrible in the end. Decided to castrate myself and get on a Hammer machine for some lat work because I just felt like something a little different. All in all a good session with a good pump, looking forward to a little cardio tomorrow and some big eating.

lookin good bro

Young&Hungry
12-26-08, 1:28 pm
Thanks for the props P.

Squats to IPF depth - warmups, 295x5, 315x5, 335x5 no belt or wraps yet
Barbell Lunges - 135x20 per leg, 155x10, 165x8, 165x8
Pullthroughs - 4 sets up to the stack x 10 last set
Hammer Strength Calves - tons

Foam Roll Situps - 3x20
Side Bends - 4x10 up to the 85's

wedge
12-26-08, 1:45 pm
Training looks like it is coming along. Keep it up and people won't know who the hell came through at that meet in March.
I'm particularly interested in your squat routines. I've recently fallen in love with squats and have wanted to add front squats to my routine, but I am having trouble holding the bar. I plan on being at the ABC in January, perhaps you can give me a few pointers?

Young&Hungry
12-29-08, 3:17 pm
Training looks like it is coming along. Keep it up and people won't know who the hell came through at that meet in March.
I'm particularly interested in your squat routines. I've recently fallen in love with squats and have wanted to add front squats to my routine, but I am having trouble holding the bar. I plan on being at the ABC in January, perhaps you can give me a few pointers?

Wedge, front squats are my specialty and I'd be happy to help at the ABC. Boar and I are probably gonna be squatting anyways so just grab the rack next to us and I'll help you out.

Young&Hungry
12-29-08, 3:27 pm
Rode my bike to and from the gym, my weight is creeping up and I can't break the 2 hundy mark until after the meet. Week 2 of the wave.

Bench (comp grip, paused) - warmups, 200x3, 210x3, 225x3
Moved my grip in to index fingers on smooth and added doubled mini bands, still full range
Close Grip vs. Doubled Minis - 135 2x8, 135x7
Football Bar Extensions - 4 sets of 15, 10, 8 (PR), 12
T-Bar Rows - 5 sets, 3 plates and a quarter x 10 heaviest set, dropsetted last set
DB Curls - 40's 3x10

Two light sets of thumbless hercules holds on the cable cross

Pretty good session today. I was a little sluggish when I got there but I pounded a Monster down and I started moving. Bench was solid, my bar path is getting a lot more solid now that I'm pulling it into my lats and I felt solid coming off the chest with no shoulder irritation.

I'll be doing the band/chain presses now as my second exercise just about every bench session from now till the meet because I've been having problems with running out of steam midpoint in my bench. I am no longer a big advocate of dynamic work and accomodating resistance, but in this circumstace accomodating resistance with my assistance exercises are the best fit for my issue. I'll be doing it from various heights (off different board heights or off pins) and various resistances (monster mini's or more chain weight).

Other than that just did some standard assistance work, hit a PR on extensions and put up some higher than usual weight on rows. Gonna do my cleans tomorrow so I can use the bumper plates at school.

Pizzalamp
12-29-08, 7:02 pm
youre gonna be looking huge at the abc i have a feeling

workout looking solid carlos-have a safe and fun new years

Young&Hungry
01-01-09, 2:01 pm
Thanks Grant, I'm actually at the heaviest I've ever been so I'm pretty happy. Trying to get my schedule back on track, everything's out of whack with this winter break. New Year's eve:

Cleans - warmups, 165x3, 190x3, 215x3 couldn't resist the urge to jerk the last rep
Zercher Pulls (Pin #4) - 225x10, 245x8, 265 2x8
45 Degree Hypers - 5x10

Pulldown Abz - 4 sets
Foam Roll Situps superset Hanging Leg Raises - 4 sets

Went to a New Year's party and as the only person who wasn't pants-shittingly drunk it was my responsibility to hold puking girl's hair, break up at least half a dozen fights, and kick people out. I daresay I excelled at this position. Last night was a fine reminder of why I don't get plastered like that. Whatever happened to just having a few and having fun?

NickSP
01-01-09, 2:07 pm
Just found this, you know I'm in.

prowrestler
01-01-09, 2:08 pm
Thanks Grant, I'm actually at the heaviest I've ever been so I'm pretty happy. Trying to get my schedule back on track, everything's out of whack with this winter break. New Year's eve:

Cleans - warmups, 165x3, 190x3, 215x3 couldn't resist the urge to jerk the last rep
Zercher Pulls (Pin #4) - 225x10, 245x8, 265 2x8
45 Degree Hypers - 5x10

Pulldown Abz - 4 sets
Foam Roll Situps superset Hanging Leg Raises - 4 sets

Went to a New Year's party and as the only person who wasn't pants-shittingly drunk it was my responsibility to hold puking girl's hair, break up at least half a dozen fights, and kick people out. I daresay I excelled at this position. Last night was a fine reminder of why I don't get plastered like that. Whatever happened to just having a few and having fun?

solid work

lol, way to be a bouncer at the party! i didnt go last night for that reason, knowingm y friend wanted to kill someone their lol

Young&Hungry
01-01-09, 2:31 pm
Just found this, you know I'm in.

Glad to have you aboard brother.

solid work

lol, way to be a bouncer at the party! i didnt go last night for that reason, knowingm y friend wanted to kill someone their lol

Hahaha thanks man. I honestly limit the rare times that I do drink to where I could talk to an adult without making an ass out of myself or just drink because I genuinely enjoy the taste of a good beer rum or whiskey. When you're passing out and puking it's not even fun so I don't even take it near that level. A lot of my friends drink more than one night a weekend and they don't even know how to have fun anymore.

You don't get your youth back and I'm not gonna lie, a night with good friends and a couple drinks is a great time and I find nothing morally wrong with that, there are very few who could honestly say they never drank once when they were young. But I'm not gonna make my memories hanging over a toilet bowl, disrespecting people's homes with fighting, worried about trying to remember what I did last night, or not being able to have a good time without alcohol. I know a few girls who are setting themselves up for lifelong problems with addiction with the way they drink and no one thinks that's cool at the end of it all. I have seen alcoholism in my family and it is not a pretty sight. Preaching is useless at this point, my friends are all young adults at this point who are the masters of their own decisions now. All I can do is lead by example and be there when they slip up, and take those life lessons away for myself. Rant over.

mark
01-01-09, 2:37 pm
Solid lifting bro... What meet are you lifting in??

Young&Hungry
01-01-09, 2:38 pm
Solid lifting bro... What meet are you lifting in??

It's an unsanctioned high school meet put on by the state athletic association, it's still a pretty stacked meet.

mark
01-01-09, 2:59 pm
It's an unsanctioned high school meet put on by the state athletic association, it's still a pretty stacked meet.

Good luck bro!

prowrestler
01-01-09, 3:43 pm
i hear ya

but, i am one of those few who never drank and let me tell you, you CANT have fun without it at a party. how akward it feels being the only sober one their.....nope, never again lol!

you need to go with a gym buddy who stays sobber to have fun, maybe find a single chick too, you just cant go at it alone, my advise.

Young&Hungry
01-01-09, 4:25 pm
i hear ya

but, i am one of those few who never drank and let me tell you, you CANT have fun without it at a party. how akward it feels being the only sober one their.....nope, never again lol!

you need to go with a gym buddy who stays sobber to have fun, maybe find a single chick too, you just cant go at it alone, my advise.

Not gonna lie that's an accomplishment these days bro, good stuff. It's not like that, I think I've drinken maybe 7 times in my three years of high school and I've been to probably triple that amount of parties where there's alcohol. And 99% of the time there's always someone whose not all over the place who you can have a good time hanging out with, I've been in that place so I disagree with the fact that you can't go to a party sober and not have a really great time. I wasn't drinking last night and I had an awesome time with my friends other than having to be the den mother a few times, which even then wasn't really a major deal.

NickSP
01-01-09, 6:16 pm
I've basically avoided alcohol up to this point. I mean I've had it before, but probably the equivalent to a total of 4-5 beers in my life, and nothing in the past couple years except a glass of champagne last night. I turn 21 soon and I may delve into it a bit. But a big part of that is that I've always been really unsocial and cut off from the rest of the world, and entirely avoiding parties and alcohol only makes shit worse for me. It'll be nice to just have a few hanging out with friends and actually having my cups in pong.

Young&Hungry
01-02-09, 10:24 am
I've basically avoided alcohol up to this point. I mean I've had it before, but probably the equivalent to a total of 4-5 beers in my life, and nothing in the past couple years except a glass of champagne last night. I turn 21 soon and I may delve into it a bit. But a big part of that is that I've always been really unsocial and cut off from the rest of the world, and entirely avoiding parties and alcohol only makes shit worse for me. It'll be nice to just have a few hanging out with friends and actually having my cups in pong.

So long as you're not using it as an excuse like I've had a bad week, I really need to get shitfaced this weekend I really don't see anything morally wrong with it once in a while. I seriously almost never eat cheat meals and use my nights out as my cheat meal, and they're so few and far between that the negative effects are just about cancelled out. I don't really see the moral difference between someone going out on a McDonald's and Krispy Kreme binge as a cheat meal and someone who goes out and drinks in moderation. I know the whole theory of shut up and eat, but if you actually read on what typical cheat food does to you biologically, depending on what you're eating it's actually much worse for you than a few brews.

So repeating myself for the millionth time, so long as it's not a habit and you don't drink to the point of stumbling, puking drunk, I personally see it no worse than having a cheat meal.

NickSP
01-02-09, 1:36 pm
Oh believe me I don't plan on ever being stumbling drunk, I've been very controlled with the rareity of having cigars since my first one in HS and I'll be doing the same with this.

Young&Hungry
01-02-09, 4:08 pm
Schedule's all fucked up because of vacation and I made a mistake with my 5/3/1 wave, so I just did a Defranco style rep upper day.

Suspended Pushups - about 6 sets total, really didn't count reps just went till one rep shy of failure
Incline DB Press - 65's 3x12
Chins superset H-Rolls - 35 reps total on chins (took me five sets) to 20's 5x10
Panora Pushdowns superset Football Bar Curls - 4x15 to 105 3x10

Did three sets of thickbar wrist curls and three sets of thumbless herc holds for 30 seconds, and was out. Rode my bike to and from the gym as usual.

T o m m Y
01-02-09, 5:00 pm
Loooking good brotha,what are panora pushdowns?

Young&Hungry
01-02-09, 9:44 pm
Loooking good brotha,what are panora pushdowns?

For future reference to anyone asking

Panora Pushdowns - rope pushdowns but only the bottom portion of the motion
Panora Shrugs - loop a band through a kettlebell, repeat for second kettlebell, hold on to the bands and shrug
Chuck V or Dizenzo Rows - standing v-bar lat rows to the belly
Mikesell Pullthrough - pullthroughs with bands instead of a cable machine
Spud Pullthroughs - pullthroughs on a cable machine standing inside a band like a banded GM
Kazmaier Press - JM press in a smith machine
Kennelly Press - rolling DB extensions
Tate Press - elbows out extensions, top of dumbbels always remain in contact

You know you are the faaacking man when you have an exercise named after you.

Young&Hungry
01-03-09, 2:44 pm
Hit my second week of squatting in the wave and some strongman shit up in Waterbury with Nick. Poundstone was in the building as well, hit a 400 axle clean and press for reps and a 950 frame carry for 30 or more feet.

Squats - warmups, 315x3, 335x3, 355x6, 355x5
Log Cleans - 140x6, 160x6, 160x6, 180x6
Yoke - 290x100', 390x50' sloppy ass set
Sled Drags - 7 or 8 sets of 200', forwards and backwards dragging between 2 plates, 2 plates 2 quarters, and 4 plates

Really strong session today. Today was my second wave of squats and the prescribed rep range is a triple on the heaviest set but Wendler advises that if you have more reps in the tank, go for it. I ended up hitting 6 reps on my first set and felt good enough to just say fuck it and go for it again. Didn't add the belt till the last set and I felt solid, depth is really spot on. I tend to have really slow squats in terms of overall lift speed, but I'm still stronger than ever. I'm ready to bump up my max by 10-15% and cycle in my wraps next wave. Big boy Nick also had an epic session, got a 280 log clean and press for a PR and 750 yoke for 50' for a 50 pound PR. Looking forward to next week's lifting, ABC coming up and I'm ready to hit my week of singles.

prowrestler
01-03-09, 2:51 pm
Hit my second week of squatting in the wave and some strongman shit up in Waterbury with Nick. Poundstone was in the building as well, hit a 400 axle clean and press for reps and a 950 frame carry for 30 or more feet.

Squats - warmups, 315x3, 335x3, 355x6, 355x5
Log Cleans - 140x6, 160x6, 160x6, 180x6
Yoke - 290x100', 390x50' sloppy ass set
Sled Drags - 7 or 8 sets of 200', forwards and backwards dragging between 2 plates, 2 plates 2 quarters, and 4 plates

Really strong session today. Today was my second wave of squats and the prescribed rep range is a triple on the heaviest set but Wendler advises that if you have more reps in the tank, go for it. I ended up hitting 6 reps on my first set and felt good enough to just say fuck it and go for it again. Didn't add the belt till the last set and I felt solid, depth is really spot on. I tend to have really slow squats in terms of overall lift speed, but I'm still stronger than ever. I'm ready to bump up my max by 10-15% and cycle in my wraps next wave. Big boy Nick also had an epic session, got a 280 log clean and press for a PR and 750 yoke for 50' for a 50 pound PR. Looking forward to next week's lifting, ABC coming up and I'm ready to hit my week of singles.

sick!
poundstone beign their has gottta be special!
nice work

and ya, partys and alcohol. i HAVE NOT been to one where no one aint shit faced so i was outta luck lol

Young&Hungry
01-03-09, 9:51 pm
sick!
poundstone beign their has gottta be special!
nice work

and ya, partys and alcohol. i HAVE NOT been to one where no one aint shit faced so i was outta luck lol

Thanks bro, yeah it's pretty sick to train with one of the strongest humans on Earth and see the real human side of him. Real standup guy. Pretty cool to hear him talk about guys like Savickas, Pfister, and Mariuz like their the guy next door or something. And about the parties, it's all good man there's more than plenty other ways to have a good time with friends.

Pizzalamp
01-03-09, 10:11 pm
great stuff carlos-heavy squatting

get ready for sat.......

boar
01-03-09, 11:43 pm
Poundstone is the most humble, compassionate, friendly guy you will meet in the strongman world. He never says a bad thing about anyone. I can sit and listen to the guy for hours and absorb all of his knowledge and experience in strongman. He is always open to questions and never hesitates to help a fellow strongman. It is an honor to train with one of the greatest strength athletes in the world and the strongest overhead presser. He talks about his records like they are regular pr's at the gym.

I always enjoy carlos coming up to do strongman with the boar and I know he absorbs all of the aspects of each lifter in the gym on that given day.

Young&Hungry
01-05-09, 5:51 pm
No, these are not push presses. I weighed 197 in shoes today, this is madness.

Standing Military Press - warmups, 115x5 (75%), 130x3 (85%), 145x3 (95%, supposed to single it but it was so easy I just tripled it for a rep PR)
DB Floor Press (palms in) - 65'sx20, 70'sx15, 75'sx12
Yoke Superset: Barbell Shrugs to Side Laterals - 275x30 (rep PR), 315x12, 365 2x10 to 20's 4x12 super strict
Incline DB Rolling Extensions superset EZ Bar Curls - 35'sx15, 45'sx12, 50's 2x10 to 75 2x15, 95x12, 115x8 PR

Really sick session today, everything weight today felt stupid easy and I hit a bunch of PR's. Militaries felt easier as the weight got heavier and I hit a solid rep PR once I threw the belt on. Trying to work higher reps on my DB pressing because my endurance blows, today was pretty good in terms of that. I feel like I've been overtraining my lats recently so I just did upper back today. Hit a big PR on curls, like that matters anyways. I'm guestimating that the curl bar weighs 25 pounds but the last set was a 45 a side so that got some nice looks in the weightroom. Supersetted all the assistance work because I hate lifting at school so I just wanted to get in and out. Off tomorrow, just gonna do some stretching and rest up for a big clean on Wednesday.

Young&Hungry
01-06-09, 11:37 pm
I was one of those deep talks with one of my good friends last night and she commented on how she feels like she's never really experienced a truely difficult time that's changed her life, and how she just feels flat out bored with her life sometimes. I am a closet astronomy nerd and I realize that there are trillions upon trillions of galaxies out there that are more than capable of sustaining life, and according to string theory our universe is just one in a web of an infinite number of universes, generating infinite amounts of galaxies, and more than likely an infinite amount of sustanible life on said planets. So in the absolute grand scheme of things, the things that we do here on this microscopic dot of a place we're in really don't matter in the middle of this infinitely generating mass of universes.

Seems kinda hopeless huh? Nothing you do in your Earthly life will change the expansion and harmonious change that occurs all around us trillions of lightyears away. We are small and insignificant according to this train of though. But don't think that just because we don't live the most extraordinary or glamorous lives, or in science's eyes are helpless to the rhythyms and anomalies in the emptiness we occupy, doesn't make the lives we lead here not special. We can't spend our whole lives feeling like we don't matter because that train of thought will eventually lead you to doing just that, not mattering. Just like the saying goes, form is emptiness and emptiness is form. You live on planet Earth and will die at some point, nothing can change that, so the sooner you accept that the sooner you discover the reason why you are here.

I'll always remember the quote from the famous Last Lecture - life is just like an engineering problem. You can't think about the what if's or maybe's, you simply have to do the best you can with what you have. If math can put it so simply, why shouldn't we apply this to our daily lives? If I had it my way, I'd love to have Mark Henry's genetics and be an astronaut. But in this life I will never put up weight like Sexual Chocolate did and will probably never get to experience the beauty and peace Bruce McCandless felt when he performed the first untethered space walk. But it's often being on the grind with seemingly ordinary obstacles in your way that forge the characters of the most important people in your life.

My father has never been Time Magazine's person of the year but there has never been anyone whose taught me more about life than that man. He's done nothing more but overcome trial and tribulation to work hard to provide for my family, raise me to the best of his ability morally, and give back in small ways every day. There are countless families on the Earth with a similar provider in role model. So what makes his life so special in the midst of billions? A thousand mile journey begins with a single step, and a raging inferno starts with only a small spark. Who knows what I will do with the lessons I've learned from him? Could they change the world we live in?

Sure, I haven't given AIDS shots in Malawi for a summer. Does that mean I don't know what it feels like to give back. I've never pulled a 16 hour shift in a dank, filthy coal mine in the rolling hills of West Virginia, or harvested sugar cane in blood boiling heat in the Carribbean summer. Does that mean I don't know what hard work means? Sometimes you have to accept and embrace your own shoes. I am not asking that we settle for mediocracy, but rather to love our own lives and our own place in the universe. Only then can we realize our true purpose in this life.

Chasing other people's lives are futile, you'll end up trying to be someone you're not for your entire life and when your time has come you will end up sadly disappointed with a heart full of regret. If you can personally sit down at the end of the day and honestly say that you've done good today, and those who matter in your life feel the same, who else's approval do you need? When we feel like your life is boring and the monotony is killing you, all we have to do is take note of the little things that seem to pass us by in the rush of daily life and learn from them and their simple peace. Only then can we be extraordinary in an ordinary place.

Pizzalamp
01-06-09, 11:52 pm
very good post carlos

boar
01-07-09, 2:15 pm
good looks kid. You always amaze me and teach me about life. You are 16 going on 40 much wiser then most that I know. Although sometimes we can feel insignificant, we can leave lasting impressions on the people we pass in our lives.

Young&Hungry
01-07-09, 9:02 pm
Cleans - warmups, 175x5, 190x3, 225xMx2, 225x1
High Hang Cleans - 135x8, 175 3x6
45 Degree Back Raise superset GHR 5 sets 10 reps

Ab Wheel - 3x10 knees on dyna-disks
Foam Roll Situps superset Hanging Leg Raises - 4 sets 15, don't know why but the leg raises crack my back so well it feels like I'm getting a chiro adjustment. I feel awesome now.
Epic back cramping x 1

Pretty solid session today. Didn't struggle with my 5 and 3 reppers but on my first two attempts of 225, I hit the bar on my belt and the second attempt was just a technical error. It's nothing to be concerned about really, 5/3/1 is all about never missing a weight but these were nothing more than technical errors that are correctable. Once I got my shit together and got a little pissed I smoked 225 for by far the easiest two plater I've ever put up. I'm really satisfied with this cycle's results. After that I hit some high hang cleans for reps, they felt solid and hit right where I need the help at the high hang. Did some standard protocol assistance work and I was outty.

In other news, I weighed myself on a pretty legitimate scale today and I was 198. Since I'm so far out from my competition I'm afraid to say I'll have to be doing low carbs on my non-training days and ensure that I'm doing 35 minutes of cardio every day except one off day to keep my weight in check. I am obviously not doing this to look ripped for the girls, but I am in the right weight class to compete in and can't afford to be a light 200-220er just yet. Once the meet's over then I can lead the charge to the low 200's, but right now I need to focus on being a competitor.

Young&Hungry
01-07-09, 9:11 pm
very good post carlos

Thanks a lot Grant.

good looks kid. You always amaze me and teach me about life. You are 16 going on 40 much wiser then most that I know. Although sometimes we can feel insignificant, we can leave lasting impressions on the people we pass in our lives.

As always appreciate it big man. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not, but if I'm not doing anything I tend to zone out and just observe little things and try to look for the deeper meaning in everything I encounter in life. That has definately lead to me being a relatively low stress kinda guy.

boar
01-07-09, 9:17 pm
cleans look good carlos. I might try the 5/3/1 thing. Could you write me a program and I ll say thanks but I m going to do my own thing. Just giving you a hard time. People take you for granted on the forvm and I don't know how you put up with the bs.

Pizzalamp
01-07-09, 9:19 pm
Cleans - warmups, 175x5, 190x3, 225xMx2, 225x1
High Hang Cleans - 135x8, 175 3x6
45 Degree Back Raise superset GHR 5 sets 10 reps

Ab Wheel - 3x10 knees on dyna-disks
Foam Roll Situps superset Hanging Leg Raises - 4 sets 15, don't know why but the leg raises crack my back so well it feels like I'm getting a chiro adjustment. I feel awesome now.
Epic back cramping x 1

Pretty solid session today. Didn't struggle with my 5 and 3 reppers but on my first two attempts of 225, I hit the bar on my belt and the second attempt was just a technical error. It's nothing to be concerned about really, 5/3/1 is all about never missing a weight but these were nothing more than technical errors that are correctable. Once I got my shit together and got a little pissed I smoked 225 for by far the easiest two plater I've ever put up. I'm really satisfied with this cycle's results. After that I hit some high hang cleans for reps, they felt solid and hit right where I need the help at the high hang. Did some standard protocol assistance work and I was outty.

In other news, I weighed myself on a pretty legitimate scale today and I was 198. Since I'm so far out from my competition I'm afraid to say I'll have to be doing low carbs on my non-training days and ensure that I'm doing 35 minutes of cardio every day except one off day to keep my weight in check. I am obviously not doing this to look ripped for the girls, but I am in the right weight class to compete in and can't afford to be a light 200-220er just yet. Once the meet's over then I can lead the charge to the low 200's, but right now I need to focus on being a competitor.
198 is freakin solid carlos...what did u weigh at the 1st abc???

also great job w/ the 225...

Young&Hungry
01-07-09, 10:15 pm
cleans look good carlos. I might try the 5/3/1 thing. Could you write me a program and I ll say thanks but I m going to do my own thing. Just giving you a hard time. People take you for granted on the forvm and I don't know how you put up with the bs.

No problem bro, I'll be PMing you in a few.

198 is freakin solid carlos...what did u weigh at the 1st abc???

also great job w/ the 225...

I was a 165 on the nose man! Hahaha so in a little over a year I've put on close to 35 pounds and I'm not fat yet. I just gotta lower my steam for now, but in a perfect world I'll be taking it up to 215-220 starting after the meet through summer, and in the winter of senior year clean up a little if I need to. That's all, I really don't feel the need for a serious cut because I eat clean yet high-cal all year round and put on weight slowly, and I'm comfortable with my looks. It's all about building a base and taking advantage of the natural testosterone I have at this age, not about beach muscles.

TunnelVision338
01-08-09, 5:40 pm
not about beach muscles.

Bench and curls everyday!

Young&Hungry
01-09-09, 5:38 pm
Bench, comp grip and full pause - warmups, 185x5, 210x3, 235x4

Easily could've done one or two more on that final set, form has come a LONG way from what it used to be. Every lift looks exactly the same now. I'm ready to bump my percentage up by 10-15% next cycle. Next I moved my grip in to middle finger on smooth and added doubled mini's. Getting strong(er) slowly and steadily.

Close Grip vs. Mini's - 145 4x6
Incline Elbows Out Extensions - 40's 3x10
Lat Pulldowns superset DB Cleans - 5 sets, 15-10 reps
DB Curls for da Gurlz - 4x10 up to the 45's

Young&Hungry
01-11-09, 7:04 pm
Last day of the wave for everything so I start the deload Tuesday. Thank God, these past few training cycles have been really successful - I've hit a ton of PR's and the progression is there, but they have taken their toll on me for sure. I'm ready for the break. I left the belt off for all my squats today.

Squats - warmups, 295x5, 335x3, 375x2
RDL's off Platform - 225x12, 245x8, 255 2x8
DB Split Squats superset Pistol Squats - 5 sets, up to 65'sx8 on last set and who knows how many pistols. I just did them till it hurt, and then some. Saw stars after these and was totally gassed.
Calf Raises - 4 sets DC style

I'm gonna stick with free squats for the next cycle unless I can come across some foam for foam box squats. I will add wraps though and base the percentages off my best squat in knee wraps. I'll probably stick with plain ol' bench and cleans off the floor again, why fix what's not broken? I must say I can't wait for this freakin meet to be over and I can get back to deadlifting heavy again, I'm so sick of cleans. I might be ordering a Prowler this week depending on how much money I can scrounge up, and definately a new pair of 2.5 meter APT wraps.

boar
01-12-09, 10:50 pm
Last day of the wave for everything so I start the deload Tuesday. Thank God, these past few training cycles have been really successful - I've hit a ton of PR's and the progression is there, but they have taken their toll on me for sure. I'm ready for the break. I left the belt off for all my squats today.

Squats - warmups, 295x5, 335x3, 375x2
RDL's off Platform - 225x12, 245x8, 255 2x8
DB Split Squats superset Pistol Squats - 5 sets, up to 65'sx8 on last set and who knows how many pistols. I just did them till it hurt, and then some. Saw stars after these and was totally gassed.
Calf Raises - 4 sets DC style

I'm gonna stick with free squats for the next cycle unless I can come across some foam for foam box squats. I will add wraps though and base the percentages off my best squat in knee wraps. I'll probably stick with plain ol' bench and cleans off the floor again, why fix what's not broken? I must say I can't wait for this freakin meet to be over and I can get back to deadlifting heavy again, I'm so sick of cleans. I might be ordering a Prowler this week depending on how much money I can scrounge up, and definately a new pair of 2.5 meter APT wraps.

Good stuff my young gun. I love seeing stars its pretty cool. I m training tomorrow if you want to throw down and get a session in.

Young&Hungry
01-12-09, 11:30 pm
Good stuff my young gun. I love seeing stars its pretty cool. I m training tomorrow if you want to throw down and get a session in.

Thank you sir, I got driving school so we'll hit events Saturday.

Volume "drop-your-load" week boringness plans:

Tomorrow:
Incline Bench (thumbs from smooth) - 4x12-15
Chain Suspended Pushups vs. Bands - 3 sets max reps
Pullups - 40 total reps
Dips - 40 total reps

Wednesday:
Belt Squat - 6x10 I have a weird idea on how to do these in a commercial gym
Band GM's - 4 sets high rep
Stepups - 4 sets high rep again
Abs

Friday:
Standing One Armed DB Press - 4x10
DB Floor Press - 3x20
Tri Extensions - 4x15-8
Chuck V Row superset Band Pullaparts - 4x10

Saturday: (might mix together this day and Friday's session, depending on how I feel)
Axle Deads - 5 sets, 10-8 reps
Stones - 3 sets triples before I load the 240 for a single
Farmer's/Sled Sprint Medley - 4 sets 50-75' with whatever I can get
Chins or KB Swings - 2 sets

Take 2-3 days off, then get back to really training three days a week. I've been doing 4 days a week lately due to schedule conflicts. Here's what my first few days back will look like:

Bench - 5/3/1 percentages
Add 2 Board, monster mini's or reverse lights - 3 sets 6-8 reps
DB Rows - 5 sets 10
Rope Pushdowns superset Curls - 4 sets 15-8 reps

Free Squat - 5/3/1 percentages
Foam Box Squats - 4 sets 10
45 Degree Hyper - 5 sets 12
Abs

Military Press - 5/3/1 percentages
Incline DB Press - 3 sets 15
Chins superset Reverse Pec Deck - 4 sets, gonna start adding some weight on the chins
Football Bar Extensions - 4 sets 8

Cleans - 5/3/1 percentages
High Pulls or Cleans off Boxes - 3 sets 6, or 4 sets of doubles
Good Mornings - 4x12
Box Jumps - who knows

Young&Hungry
01-13-09, 5:39 pm
Had to lift at school today so I had to change out a few exercises I can only do at my gym.

Incline Bench - warmup, 135x15, 155x12, 155x12, 135x12
DB Floor Press (palms in) - 65's 3x20
Chins superset Modified Band Pullaparts - 40 total reps for chins to 15 pullaparts, took me 7 sets
Panora Pushdowns - 4 sets 10

Wrist Roller - 3 sets of however long it is

Boooooooooooring. The reps were nice but incline destroyed my shoulders for the entire workout. Don't understand how incline wrecks my shoulders and militaries don't.

mark
01-13-09, 6:16 pm
flexibility through different ranges and angles of motion.

For example, I can't incline bench with a straight bar using a medium incline (about 45 degs) and close grip. It hurts my shoulders for me to do them.

However, if I raise or lower the incline, then I can do them just fine.

Young&Hungry
01-13-09, 6:18 pm
flexibility through different ranges and angles of motion.

For example, I can't incline bench with a straight bar using a medium incline (about 45 degs) and close grip. It hurts my shoulders for me to do them.

However, if I raise or lower the incline, then I can do them just fine.

Yeah you're definately right there. I was using just short of a thumbs from the smooth grip so the grip was pretty tight. I'm currently having some issues with the flexibility of my shoulders in the external rotation position that I've been working on so it makes sense. A lot of guys bench raw with a narrower grip to save their shoulders, and I find that a close grip jacks my shoulders up way worse than my wider competition grip. So I just use the comp grip for pretty much everything except rep work.

mark
01-13-09, 6:27 pm
search youtube for defranco upper body warm up, and do that before every workout.

Also, do some stretches were you hang from the pull up bar.

Finally, don't forget that if something else is tight and pulling on the shoulder than it can affect shoulder flexibility as well...

Young&Hungry
01-14-09, 11:28 pm
Went to the basement tonight and did the following (yes I know very vague):

My normal dynamic warmup (Parisi/Defranco based)
Defranco's Agile 8
Defranco's Upper Body Warmup
Rolled quads, calves, hams, IT band, abductors/adductors, glutes, low back, upper back, side lat.
Massaged pec and glute tie ins with the baseball
More than likely every static stretch I know off the top of my head, which is quite a few

I don't have a foam roller at home so I used a pair of baseballs. You have NEVER felt true pain from foam rolling until you've rolled with a baseball or lacrosse ball. I shed a few man tears honestly on the IT band. Holy crap it hit places I never knew existed deeper than you could ever think. This all took just short of an hour and was actually pretty relaxing and I feel like a million bucks now. I really need to mount up and start doing this every day, it felt awesome.

Aside from Saturday's event day with Nick I'm taking the rest of this week off, aside from the stretching and my conditioning, due to a mild flare up in my sciatica and honestly just feeling beat to shit. If you've ever had true sciatic pain you know that trying to work around it is horrendous, so it's better to let it rest now while I'm deloading rather than later in the cycle when I need to be smashing weight.

Young&Hungry
01-17-09, 3:22 pm
Had some stuff going on this morning so I couldn't hit events with Nick. I did get a session in a little after noon and since I've taken about 5 days off I was ready to start my new cycle. Clean and military weights are going up by 5 pounds and squat's going up 10. Might jack the bench up 10 pounds too but I have yet to figure out what I'm gonna do for sure.

Cleans - warmups, 160x5, 180x5, 205x5
Conventional Deadlifts - quick warmup, 275x15, 295x12, 295x10, 315x10 not bad after some heavy cleans
KB Snatches superset KB Swings - 4 rounds of 12 snatches (6 per arm) with the 24k bell to 10-15 swings with the 32k bell

Pulldown Abz - 4x10 heavy
Hanging Leg Raises - 2x12 mainly for decompression

Pretty awesome lift today, cleans were definatey solid and it was the easiest 200+ for reps I've ever done. Deadlifts were good but weren't crisp obviously because I cleaned heavy before. The kettlebell work was more conditioning than anything because I felt like I ran a mile after each set. Wasn't bad though, I can use all the conditioning I can get. One of the trainers has kettlebells and brings them in sometims on Saturdays so I took advantage of it. Did some pretty heavy work on the pulldowns and did leg raises for the amazing back crack it gives me. I don't think I've ever heard from anyone about leg raises giving them a back crack that feels like a freakin chiro adjustment so I guess I'm special. Booooring treadmill cardio tomorrow and benchin' Monday.

prowrestler
01-17-09, 3:42 pm
cleaned the clock on those cleans man

205x5 is sick

Young&Hungry
01-17-09, 4:21 pm
cleaned the clock on those cleans man

205x5 is sick

Thanks brother, cleans are definately getting much easier in terms of what I can do for reps. When I was training my cleans in a Westside fashion I'd be lucky to hit anything above 185 for more than a single, either from the floor or the hang. So today's last set was probably another rep PR. I'm gonna take a balls out 100%+ max probably next cycle to see where I'm at. I'm not worried about my squat or bench but it's so hard to do anything above a heavy in the clean because it's such a technically taxing lift.

I'd be content with with 265 at the meet, but I have a goal of cleaning 300-315 before I graduate high school. It's obviously a steep looking goal but with the success I've been having in 5/3/1 it's certainly no impossibility. After that unless I decide to go the strongman route I'll probably never clean seriously again for the rest of my life, so like anything it's best to go out with a bang.

shizz702
01-17-09, 5:39 pm
That was a sick session bro! Very nice choice of exercises there.

With the cleans, do you have any advice for bending the arms too soon on the second pull? I just got back into doing power cleans again and I noticed when the weight starts getting relatively heavy I have a bad habit of bending/using my arms on the second pull.

Young&Hungry
01-17-09, 7:17 pm
That was a sick session bro! Very nice choice of exercises there.

With the cleans, do you have any advice for bending the arms too soon on the second pull? I just got back into doing power cleans again and I noticed when the weight starts getting relatively heavy I have a bad habit of bending/using my arms on the second pull.

What do you mean by the second pull - as in the RDL before the bar comes above the knees, in the hang or high hang, or at the top of the triple extension?

shizz702
01-17-09, 7:25 pm
What do you mean by the second pull - as in the RDL before the bar comes above the knees, in the hang or high hang, or at the top of the triple extension?

The part right after you deadlift the bar past the knees, and the bar brushes up against your thighs and you initiate the triple extension.

From what I've gathered it is improper form to bend and pull with the arms at this point, and you are supposed to use the triple extension, shrug hard, and whip the elbows under the bar, and catch and rack the bar. But I'm having a problem with bending my arms too early when the weight gets heavy. It's like my body tells me I need to curl with the arms.

Any advice is appreciated bro.

Young&Hungry
01-18-09, 12:17 am
The part right after you deadlift the bar past the knees, and the bar brushes up against your thighs and you initiate the triple extension.

From what I've gathered it is improper form to bend and pull with the arms at this point, and you are supposed to use the triple extension, shrug hard, and whip the elbows under the bar, and catch and rack the bar. But I'm having a problem with bending my arms too early when the weight gets heavy. It's like my body tells me I need to curl with the arms.

Any advice is appreciated bro.

I think if you send me a video of some submax work I can get a better picture of it bro. I don't think I'm seeing it right and the last thing I'd want to do is give someone like you shitty advice. Next time you clean, record it and post it up here in my log and I'll critique it no problem.

boar
01-18-09, 12:20 am
solid cleans and the conventional pulling is good too. I had a shitty event day wasn't too recovered from the thursday LB workout. Next saturday I might squat because Justin and Kevin are doing the show out in new york.

Young&Hungry
01-19-09, 3:06 pm
Decided to jack up the base 1RM ten pounds and it proved to be a wise choice. Weighed in at 195 today.

Bench (paused, comp grip) - warmups, 190x5, 205x5, 220x5
Add reverse light bands, move grip to index on smooth
Close Grip Reverse Light Press - 225x15 (warmup), 245x8, 265x6, 275x6, 225x12
Football Bar Extensions - 3 sets 12
DB Rows - 100'sx20, 110'sx12, 115'sx12, 120'sx10
Hammer Curls - 4 sets 10 up to the 50's

Good session today. Bench is really improving beyond what I could imagine, 220 was a cakewalk today and I definately made a good decision by deciding on that extra five pound increase. I'll probably be ready to jack it up another 10 pounds next cycle on my road to 315 in summer and a 295 bench at the meet. The band presses I've been doing lately have already significantly helped me with my grind-out problems but I'll back off them next week so I don't go stale. Triceps have also responded really well to all the new volume I've put on them. Rest of the workout was pretty good, hit some high rep Kroc style DB Rows, curlz for da gurlz, and was out. I recorded my last set of bench so I'll post it up for you guys in a little while.

Young&Hungry
01-19-09, 6:24 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzDNfZEYQGM&feature=channel_page

Stupid easy.

Maharg
01-20-09, 10:47 pm
Good shit bro.

shizz702
01-20-09, 11:03 pm
Solid session bro, and your form on the bench press was impeccable!

prowrestler
01-20-09, 11:05 pm

i gotta agree

i didnt notice much thigh fat on you either....

boar
01-20-09, 11:20 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzDNfZEYQGM&feature=channel_page

Stupid easy.

Very nice benching my fine young friend. Reps looked identical until you had to grind one out at the end.

One pointer which was very hard to pick out is that when you pause you actually dont fully pause. You kind of twitch the bar. Rhodes and cenzo picked the same thing from my bench. It is called trying to time it rather then letting it settle.

Thats my helpful pointer and I hope you understand it.

prowrestler
01-20-09, 11:24 pm
Very nice benching my fine young friend. Reps looked identical until you had to grind one out at the end.

One pointer which was very hard to pick out is that when you pause you actually dont fully pause. You kind of twitch the bar. Rhodes and cenzo picked the same thing from my bench. It is called trying to time it rather then letting it settle.

that can happen on box squats too, just a reminder

Young&Hungry
01-21-09, 9:03 pm
Good shit bro.

Thanks bro's. When I first went to Southside Vinny and Lord Rhodes ripped me apart on my bench but everything they said had a purpose. I'd like to get my hips up more and a little more arch, they basically cured my rolling my traps issue, controlling the bar with my lats, and sticking to one touching zone.

i gotta agree

i didnt notice much thigh fat on you either....

Thigh fat?! Thanks though bro. If you want to see some truely astounding back fat Boar is the finest specimin exhibiting said trait.

I definately see what you're talking about, thanks for pointing it out. You never get any better doing the same thing you've always done. What pointers would you say could help me solve this?

that can happen on box squats too, just a reminder

This is one of the bajillion reasons I don't do much box squatting anymore.

Young&Hungry
01-21-09, 9:13 pm
I upped my base weight by 30 pounds (420) since I'm cycling in my wraps and the almost laughable success I had with my last cycle. I would never recommend such a large jump on the 5/3/1 program so this is one of those do as I say, not as I do situations.

Squats, IPF depth as always - warmups, 315x5 nothing, 335x5 belt, 355x6 belt and wraps
Ultra Wide Sumo SLDL's - 225x15 warmup, 245x10, 275 2x8
Leg Press - 5 sets 12-10 reps, ultra deep and with a two count pause
Hypers - 4x10 with a 45 pound plate

Couldn't get abs in today because one of my coaches who thinks he's got a clue on lifting just because he had a big clean in high school debated with me on his belief that stiff leggs suck for about 20 minutes after squatting. He's not a dick to me and basically lets me do what I want but his preaching gets a little annoying. I beat him in the debate like Yale beating your local community college in SAT scores but he refused to admit defeat. Back to the important things, squatting went really well today even with the huge jump. I'm glad this lift is progressing the way it is. I had another rep in the tank on the 355 but my knee wrap unfurled so I wasn't gonna play around with that. Tried those sumo stiff legs they do at Westside now and they were a pretty solid exercise. I was surprised to see that I've still got my form down really well in sumo despite not pulling for the past 6 months. Did the gayest quad assistance exercise on the planet, some hypers and was out.

I'll probably hit my militaries tomorrow so I'll be rested for event day with Boar on Saturday. Want to hit a big clean and maybe some stone action.

boar
01-21-09, 9:26 pm
I upped my base weight by 30 pounds (420) since I'm cycling in my wraps and the almost laughable success I had with my last cycle. I would never recommend such a large jump on the 5/3/1 program so this is one of those do as I say, not as I do situations.

Squats, IPF depth as always - warmups, 315x5 nothing, 335x5 belt, 355x6 belt and wraps
Ultra Wide Sumo SLDL's - 225x15 warmup, 245x10, 275 2x8
Leg Press - 5 sets 12-10 reps, ultra deep and with a two count pause
Hypers - 4x10 with a 45 pound plate

Couldn't get abs in today because one of my coaches who thinks he's got a clue on lifting just because he had a big clean in high school debated with me on his belief that stiff leggs suck for about 20 minutes after squatting. He's not a dick to me and basically lets me do what I want but his preaching gets a little annoying. I beat him in the debate like Yale beating your local community college in SAT scores but he refused to admit defeat. Back to the important things, squatting went really well today even with the huge jump. I'm glad this lift is progressing the way it is. I had another rep in the tank on the 355 but my knee wrap unfurled so I wasn't gonna play around with that. Tried those sumo stiff legs they do at Westside now and they were a pretty solid exercise. I was surprised to see that I've still got my form down really well in sumo despite not pulling for the past 6 months. Did the gayest quad assistance exercise on the planet, some hypers and was out.

I'll probably hit my militaries tomorrow so I'll be rested for event day with Boar on Saturday. Want to hit a big clean and maybe some stone action.

Looks good kid. I will make sure your knee wraps won't unfurry at your meet. Way to start off the next wave. Rest up friday because we are throwing down saturday...

Maharg
01-21-09, 9:51 pm
Lol got a dislike for leg press huh? I honestly think it can be used to really help build overall strength. Even Dave Tate has it in some of his workouts.

Young&Hungry
01-21-09, 10:03 pm
Lol got a dislike for leg press huh? I honestly think it can be used to really help build overall strength. Even Dave Tate has it in some of his workouts.

Hahaha most of my hatred is just exaggerated. It has its place as a quad assistance exercise and is definately a good one, but there are better like lunges, belt squats, stepups, bulgarian split squats, power squats, pistol squats, box squats to name just a few. And in no program, even if it is bodybuilding, should it ever even come close as a substitute for squatting. I just see way too many bodybuilders doing mostly leg pressing and extensions and not enough guys putting in time under the bar on the world's best exercise period.

Maharg
01-21-09, 10:13 pm
Hahaha most of my hatred is just exaggerated. It has its place as a quad assistance exercise and is definately a good one, but there are better like lunges, belt squats, stepups, bulgarian split squats, power squats, pistol squats, box squats to name just a few. And in no program, even if it is bodybuilding, should it ever even come close as a substitute for squatting. I just see way too many bodybuilders doing mostly leg pressing and extensions and not enough guys putting in time under the bar on the world's best exercise period.

I am at the sad state of only having access to only having a squat rack, so thats all i do. I sometimes add in lunges, but they tend to mess with my knee tendons. I would love nothing more then to have a belt squat machine, and a powersquat. I have done box squats, but never with enough time to really give them a judging. An i have done some routines just for a change where i would do leg extensions and leg press to wear myself out before i ever got under a squat bar. But, these days its pretty much just squats and front squats for quads.

shizz702
01-21-09, 10:16 pm
Lol

"We could leg press, but that's gay!" -Rippetoe

Good work bro, glad to see your squats are progressing so well.

Young&Hungry
01-21-09, 10:37 pm
I am at the sad state of only having access to only having a squat rack, so thats all i do. I sometimes add in lunges, but they tend to mess with my knee tendons. I would love nothing more then to have a belt squat machine, and a powersquat. I have done box squats, but never with enough time to really give them a judging. An i have done some routines just for a change where i would do leg extensions and leg press to wear myself out before i ever got under a squat bar. But, these days its pretty much just squats and front squats for quads.

Next time you go to a commercial gym:
-Take two benches and put them on opposite sides of the seated row machine
-Remove the bar, attach the carabiner of a dip belt.
-Step inside the dip belt, make sure you have enough height to get a full ROM (you may need to stack plates or blocks) and you have yourself a belt squat.

Lol

"We could leg press, but that's gay!" -Rippetoe

Good work bro, glad to see your squats are progressing so well.

Rip has some tremendous quotes man, hahaha. Thanks for the support, this 5/3/1 plan has really exceeded my expectations. The real test will be meet day but I have a feeling that things are really gonna fall into place.

Young&Hungry
01-21-09, 10:43 pm
And Maharg last I checked, all you need is about 700 pounds in plates, a really legit power rack with a chin or dip bar, and maybe some adjustable DB's to get positively cock strong. Next on my list would be a good cable type machine for pulldowns, standing ab work, pushdowns, rows, belt squats, pullthroughs, prehab work - possibilities are endless. Then I'd just start saving up for some strongman implements to play with. Basic is beautiful brother, I really wish I had my own garage gym.

Maharg
01-21-09, 10:46 pm
Lol I may try that. But i perfer just to go hit up a Hack squat when i can. But i am joining the Air Force, and every AF Base has a multi million dollar gym free to use. I am betting ill have access to some finer pieces of gear. An i am saving up for either a SSB, or a cambered squat bar. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=212&pid=259 this piece has always caught my eye.

Maharg
01-21-09, 10:52 pm
And Maharg last I checked, all you need is about 700 pounds in plates, a really legit power rack with a chin or dip bar, and maybe some adjustable DB's to get positively cock strong. Next on my list would be a good cable type machine for pulldowns, standing ab work, pushdowns, rows, belt squats, pullthroughs, prehab work - possibilities are endless. Then I'd just start saving up for some strongman implements to play with. Basic is beautiful brother, I really wish I had my own garage gym.

Lol trust me dude i wasnt complaining. I love how basic my gym is. All the shit you need, with nothing you dont. I have gotten some great gains with bare ass nothing.

Young&Hungry
01-22-09, 8:59 pm
Not push presses!

Standing Military Press - warmups, 115x5, 125x5, 135x7 rep PR
Chain Suspended Pushups (feet elevated) - 4 sets 21, 17, 15, 10
Chest Supported Row - 5 sets 12-10 reps, varying grips each set
Rolling DB Extensions superset Barbell Curls - 40'sx15, 50's 3x10 to 4x12 on curls

Got done really fast so I hit 25 minutes on the stairmaster and sweat like a fat greasy pig.

Really strong session today. Considering my sleep habits kinda suck I took an hour nap before the session and I noticed a huge difference. A lot better feeling heading into it and definately more energy for assistance work. Hit a very comfortable PR on standing militaries, considering I was doing the same weight for barely doubles not too long ago. Not much else to note other than the weight on basically every extension exercise I do has gone way up, I'm definately ready for 295 about now and 315 on the horizon. The significant amount of tricep work I've added in has really paid off huge. I will stay humble and let 5/3/1 run its course however. I'll let it out on the platform.

Weight is going well, I got down from an all time high of 202 and I hover between 194-197 now with the added cardio and minimal carb cutting on off days so I'll be stress free about my weight come the 21st. Nothing but progress being made here.

dominate77
01-22-09, 9:36 pm
nice job man! standing militaries are damn hard.

going to keep checkin out your workouts so i can make sure my own aren't far off.

IRBS
01-23-09, 8:53 am
great work Carlos!! You should hit some good numbers....

prowrestler
01-23-09, 12:54 pm
nice stuff man, strong pressin

shizz702
01-23-09, 1:17 pm
Good session bro, those standing military's are the best exercise there is for the shoulders and you hit them hard and heavy.

Young&Hungry
01-25-09, 12:04 am
Cleans - warmups, 190x3, 205x3, 215x3 jerked the last rep for fun
Stones - 175 shouldered, 245 two singles to 48-50" box missed the double on technicalities
Axle High Pulls - 175 5x2 speed
Medley:
4 rounds of:
Farmers Carry (would've gone way heavier but the clips were missing) - 125 x 150'
Backwards Sled Drag - 2 45's x 100'
One Armed KB Swings - 62's x 8-10 reps per arm

Pretty sick session up in Waterbury. Poundstone was out in Ohio on a challenge to shoulder the 405 stone again for 40 grand, Dave Kevin and Justin were competing so it was just me, Nick, and Iron Mike. Iron Mike is a 40 year old guy who does a full shoulder workout before even starting events. Today he strict pressed 205 for reps, clean jerked the 136 kettlebell for doubles, and did some strict front raises with the 70's and then went outside and did some crazy strong runs with the Hussafell stone that almost looked casual. This is the same guy whose done good mornings with the 900 tire and hammer curled the 130's. What a crazy bastard, that's why we call him dummy strength.

Anyways, my cleans were definitely solid and I'm happy with how the weight's been feeling on them lately. Hit stones and shouldered the 175, and got my revenge with the 240 stone for 2 loads up to a 48"-50" box. Hit some quick high pulls for speed and went outside for the medley of pain. The final set was probably the hardest I've ever had to push myself in training to date. Puked a little and saw stars for a good half hour, I've never been so gassed in my life. Nick had a productive session hitting a strong yoke PR despite a million pickups but all in all, even though the CT Strongman Crew was smaller in size we had a hella intense session, probably the most so in recent memory for me.

Definitely beat to shit, gonna do some recovery stuff tomorrow and should be benching Tuesday.

prowrestler
01-25-09, 12:09 am
Stones - 175 shouldered, 245 two singles to 48-50" box missed the double on technicalities
Medley:
4 rounds of:
Farmers Carry (would've gone way heavier but the clips were missing) - 125 x 150'

Pretty sick session up in Waterbury. Poundstone was out in Ohio on a challenge to shoulder the 405 stone again for 40 grand, Dave Kevin and Justin were competing so it was just me, Nick, and Iron Mike. Iron Mike is a 40 year old guy who does a full shoulder workout before even starting events. Today he strict pressed 205 for reps, clean jerked the 136 kettlebell for doubles, and did some strict front raises with the 70's and then went outside and did some crazy strong runs with the Hussafell stone that almost looked casual. This is the same guy whose done good mornings with the 900 tire and hammer curled the 130's. What a crazy bastard, that's why we call him dummy strength.

Anyways, my cleans were definitely solid and I'm happy with how the weight's been feeling on them lately. Hit stones and shouldered the 175, and got my revenge with the 240 stone for 2 loads up to a 48"-50" box. Hit some quick high pulls for speed and went outside for the medley of pain. The final set was probably the hardest I've ever had to push myself in training to date. Puked a little and saw stars for a good half hour, I've never been so gassed in my life. Nick had a productive session hitting a strong yoke PR despite a million pickups but all in all, even though the CT Strongman Crew was smaller in size we had a hella intense session, probably the most so in recent memory for me.

Definitely beat to shit, gonna do some recovery stuff tomorrow and should be benching Tuesday.

u are strong.

good shit man

boar
01-25-09, 12:12 am
Medley:
4 rounds of:

That was an epic workout kid. Thanks for coming out I would not have finished that yoke without you yelling at me kid. Good shit man looking forward to hitting future sessions.

Young&Hungry
01-25-09, 12:51 am
215 Clean and Jerk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mESRFNacfcY&feature=channel_page
Shouldering the 175 stone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OieF_LhG0A&feature=channel_page
240 Stone Load - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOlJRVITA6k&feature=channel_page

The computer's giving me big ones with the uploads so I'm gonna let it run throughout the night, check em out later on fellas.

Young&Hungry
01-25-09, 12:55 am
nice job man! standing militaries are damn hard.

going to keep checkin out your workouts so i can make sure my own aren't far off.

Thanks dom. They're a really underrated exercise and don't kill my shoulders like seated presses do. Really awesome movement for upping your bench especially with a closer grip.

great work Carlos!! You should hit some good numbers....

Thanks Will, gonna let all that aggression flow out onto the platform the 21st. I'm ready.

nice stuff man, strong pressin

Thanks bro!

Good session bro, those standing military's are the best exercise there is for the shoulders and you hit them hard and heavy.

Thanks man, like I said before these have become one of my new favorite movements. You're really missing out if you're not doing this movement.

u are strong.

good shit man

Sleep is the cousin of death, gotta get after it day by day.

That was an epic workout kid. Thanks for coming out I would not have finished that yoke without you yelling at me kid. Good shit man looking forward to hitting future sessions.

That was definitely one for the books. Hands down our most intense training session together. You did a hell of a job between those 275 stone sets and that yoke effort was unreal. The Saturday sessions will probably be on hold for me at least for a little while because of these classes but we'll get in some upper sessions at Gold's for sure though.

prowrestler
01-25-09, 1:00 am
215 Clean and Jerk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mESRFNacfcY&feature=channel_page
Shouldering the 175 stone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OieF_LhG0A&feature=channel_page
240 Stone Load - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOlJRVITA6k&feature=channel_page

The computer's giving me big ones with the uploads so I'm gonna let it run throughout the night, check em out later on fellas.

well im impressed

your clean form is awsome

prowrestler
01-25-09, 1:01 am
hell im dedictaing tomorow's session to you man lol, i lived those cleans an will do some of my own

Young&Hungry
01-26-09, 4:58 pm
hell im dedictaing tomorow's session to you man lol, i lived those cleans an will do some of my own

Thanks bro, cleans are definately a movement that you have to put a lot of analysis in to every session. Who said meatheads weren't intelligent?

Young&Hungry
01-26-09, 5:02 pm
Did more light/prehab assistance stuff today because my joints were feeling McShitty.

Bench (paused, comp grip) - warmups, 205x3, 220x3, 230x4 probably some sort of rep PR
Decline DB Bench - 60's x 20, 70's x 15, 12, 10, 60's x 12
Thick Rope Chinups - probably 60-65 reps, ended up having fun on these and did way too many sets but can you ever do too many chins?
Blackburns - 3 sets 1 minute
Rolling DB Extensions - 45's 4x12

prowrestler
01-26-09, 5:08 pm
Thanks bro, cleans are definately a movement that you have to put a lot of analysis in to every session. Who said meatheads weren't intelligent?

the people who invented the term lol

i just toyed with a 90 pound bar and worked on my form for 10 mins straight. its getting alot better but i think i need to sink lower in the whole

prowrestler
01-26-09, 5:09 pm
Did more light/prehab assistance stuff today because my joints were feeling McShitty.

Bench (paused, comp grip) - warmups, 205x3, 220x3, 230x4 probably some sort of rep PR
Decline DB Bench - 60's x 20, 70's x 15, 12, 10, 60's x 12
Thick Rope Chinups - probably 60-65 reps, ended up having fun on these and did way too many sets but can you ever do too many chins?
Blackburns - 3 sets 1 minute
Rolling DB Extensions - 45's 4x12

nice one man

what ar balck burns?

thick rope chins are sick

Young&Hungry
01-26-09, 5:32 pm
nice one man

what ar balck burns?

thick rope chins are sick

Thanks man. Blackburns are a prehab movement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIPthBp_DKM) for the whole shoulder girdle. I was doing these with 5's and 5's and 2.5's and that's all I needed. Definately some awesome stability work.

prowrestler
01-26-09, 5:49 pm
Thanks man. Blackburns are a prehab movement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIPthBp_DKM) for the whole shoulder girdle. I was doing these with 5's and 5's and 2.5's and that's all I needed. Definately some awesome stability work.

oh ya lol, these

yo, i was wondering, you seem to bee real good at developing strength programs, if your up for it, pm me and i wanna try and create one with you.

goals= weight gain and overal power

Young&Hungry
01-26-09, 5:59 pm
oh ya lol, these

yo, i was wondering, you seem to bee real good at developing strength programs, if your up for it, pm me and i wanna try and create one with you.

goals= weight gain and overal power

I really don't mind writing you a couple months worth of cycles so long as you don't say oh thanks and end up doing your own thing, because if so don't ever ask me for advice again. Nothing personal bro it's just I've wasted far too many hours on programs people end up not doing. Westside or 5/3/1? PM me your squat, bench, deadlift, and strict standing press PR's, where your weak points are (i.e. lockout on bench, right out of the hole on squat) and I'll have something for you later tonight.

dominate77
01-26-09, 11:15 pm
sup Y&H

on deload weeks, we aren't going for reps on our last sets now are we? just standard 3x5?

and are these best to do before you max? i have about 9 weeks before i have to max again and i was thinking of doing one before this time

Young&Hungry
01-27-09, 7:32 pm
sup Y&H

on deload weeks, we aren't going for reps on our last sets now are we? just standard 3x5?

and are these best to do before you max? i have about 9 weeks before i have to max again and i was thinking of doing one before this time

You could work up to 70% x 5 like Wendler advises, but I end up doing very high rep bodybuilder type work and tons of prehab work during that fourth week. It's Wendler's program so I'm not gonna say anything about it, I'm just telling you how I do things. And what do you mean by "do before you max"? As in taking days off or how to warm up to hit your best max possible, or are you talking about doing a few more cycles?

Young&Hungry
01-27-09, 7:50 pm
Stepmill - 40 minutes
-This is for my competition weight loss purposes only and by no means do I advise doing this type of work to prep for sports. I will adjust in the spring when it comes time to condition hard instead of the light cardiac work/fat loss oriented cardio I'm doing right now.

My normal dynamic warmup (Parisi/Defranco based)
Defranco's Agile 8
Defranco's Upper Body Warmup
Rolled quads, calves, hams, IT band, abductors/adductors, glutes, low back, upper back, side lat with the baseballs
Massaged pec and glute tie ins with the baseball
Static stretching - everything that I know how to static stretch

A couple guys have been PMing me as to what I read and how I get all my ideas. Here's a list of logs that I check almost on a daily basis and get roughly 90% of my ideas from. If you're any good in this sport you find yourself reading a ton of logs every day. So like I said here's the primary guys I model my training after aside from the people on this forum:

Jim Wendler (5/3/1 programming with his old assistance work ideas, conditioning)
AJ Roberts (second exercises, assistance work)
Matt Smith (assistance work)
Marc Bartley (second exercises, assistance work)
Angry Coach (restoration and conditioning)
The Thinker (restoration and conditioning, programming)
Mark Bell (second exercises, assistance work)
Dane Kelley (assistance work, how to train both strongman and powerlifting)
Joe Defranco (stretching, prehab and restortation movements)
Vincent Dizenzo (bench form)
Travis Bell (bench form)
Mike Tuscherer (squat form)
Eric Cressey (stretching, prehab and restortation movements)

I've also had the honor to train with Vincent Dizenzo and the Southside Gym bench crew (although I haven't been since August or so), Derek Poundstone and his CT Strongman Crew, and Jerry and his Gold's Gym powerlifting crew so this is where I get just about all my influences on training from.

prowrestler
01-27-09, 9:50 pm
I really don't mind writing you a couple months worth of cycles so long as you don't say oh thanks and end up doing your own thing, because if so don't ever ask me for advice again. Nothing personal bro it's just I've wasted far too many hours on programs people end up not doing. Westside or 5/3/1? PM me your squat, bench, deadlift, and strict standing press PR's, where your weak points are (i.e. lockout on bench, right out of the hole on squat) and I'll have something for you later tonight.

k, im doin it now

dominate77
01-28-09, 9:58 am
You could work up to 70% x 5 like Wendler advises, but I end up doing very high rep bodybuilder type work and tons of prehab work during that fourth week. It's Wendler's program so I'm not gonna say anything about it, I'm just telling you how I do things. And what do you mean by "do before you max"? As in taking days off or how to warm up to hit your best max possible, or are you talking about doing a few more cycles?

nice, the day i had yesterday felt pretty light so maybe next month i'll give your way a shot. Still have 2 more days of trying it Wendlers way.

Well we have to max out in my athletic development class every 9 weeks just to see how much we've improved so i was wondering if doing a deload week before you max can have any effect on your numbers, or should you be training in the 90% area?

Young&Hungry
01-28-09, 10:09 pm
Squat - warmups, 335x3 in my birthday suit, 360x3 added belt, 380x4 added belt and wraps
Stepups - 155x10, 175 3x6, 155x10
45 Degree Hypers - 4x10 with a 35 held behind the head

Hanging Leg Raises - 3x15

T o m m Y
01-28-09, 10:10 pm
solid session right there

IRONADDICT45
01-28-09, 10:38 pm
wats up bro, its boars good buddy Tommy, just checkin in to let you know you rep us all well and are incredibly consistent and dont have the ego your typical 16 year old with genetics has...refreshing pal, nick has always told me id respect you, and without really knowing you, only through your legit mentality and through what nick has told me your a class act pal...Age means nothing and a shit-ton of people in your life will and already have discredited you for your youth...just smile and let them think they "win"...in this game its all in your heart and your mind that screams victory only you need to hear and bear witness too...keep doin what we do bro, you better believe I will...

Maharg
01-28-09, 10:52 pm
Hey dude, just realized since we are a part of the original 500, we have been on here for 2 years and some change. An your honestly one of the only guys on here who i would stand by no matter what. So heres to another 2 years.

Cheers.

shizz702
01-28-09, 11:44 pm
Solid work as usual bro, checked out your vids and your clean and jerk form looked great, very powerful jerk you put up there, no press at all your leg drive straight exploded it all the way to lockout!

prowrestler
01-29-09, 12:17 am
Squat - warmups, 335x3 in my birthday suit, 360x3 added belt, 380x4 added belt and wraps
Stepups - 155x10, 175 3x6, 155x10
45 Degree Hypers - 4x10 with a 35 held behind the head

Hanging Leg Raises - 3x15

how high of a box u do your step ups on? and how tall are you?

im 5 foot 7, i use a 12 inch box about...maybe taller?

boar
01-29-09, 1:43 am
Solid work the past two sessions. You keep hitting extra reps on your last sets. Your routines display many hours of research on elitefts. What percentage of your max did you work off of on this wave?

let me know if you want to hit a session in waterbury this saturday.

prowrestler
01-29-09, 1:52 am
Solid work the past two sessions. You keep hitting extra reps on your last sets. Your routines display many hours of research on elitefts. What percentage of your max did you work off of on this wave?

hes helped me out with his knowledge recently, im surprised as fuck hes only 16. Y&H, your goin far in the strength world, next dave tate

Young&Hungry
01-29-09, 7:22 pm
solid session right there

Short, sweet, and to the point - that's the way to train my friend.

wats up bro, its boars good buddy Tommy, just checkin in to let you know you rep us all well and are incredibly consistent and dont have the ego your typical 16 year old with genetics has...refreshing pal, nick has always told me id respect you, and without really knowing you, only through your legit mentality and through what nick has told me your a class act pal...Age means nothing and a shit-ton of people in your life will and already have discredited you for your youth...just smile and let them think they "win"...in this game its all in your heart and your mind that screams victory only you need to hear and bear witness too...keep doin what we do bro, you better believe I will...

Thanks brother, I attribute a large majority of the mentality I've developed about life just from starting powerlifting. I still have a long way to go but already this game has made a big impact on my life in every sense of the word.

And genetics? I appreciate the comment brother but I frankly have SHIT genetics. This is definately something I emphasize to everyone who I come into contact with about my lifting. Dave Tate was benching 405 at my age, squatting a little over 500 weighing about the same as I do. Freshman year I believe I was benching 225 and squatting more or less 300? Every slightest fiber of strength in my body has come from blood, sweat, and sacrifice - that's all. God gave me the shaft in the genetics department so I've made it my mission to give him a big "fuck you" with what I achieve. You make whatever you want out of your genetics, they can only take you so far.

Thanks for the compliments as always bro, I'll probably be in the Boston area this summer looking at schools so me you and Nick should grab some sessions together.

Hey dude, just realized since we are a part of the original 500, we have been on here for 2 years and some change. An your honestly one of the only guys on here who i would stand by no matter what. So heres to another 2 years.

Cheers.

Ahhh, how far we've come in only a couple years. I definetely feel your sentiment for you as well bro, this place has certainely changed quite a bit but we all know who the faithful few are. You are for sure one of the few guys around who keeps it real and knows the definition of shut up and train. Cheers to you as well.

Solid work as usual bro, checked out your vids and your clean and jerk form looked great, very powerful jerk you put up there, no press at all your leg drive straight exploded it all the way to lockout!

Thanks bro! Jerks have always been a strong point for me even when I don't train them. I gotta get back on those plyos.

how high of a box u do your step ups on? and how tall are you?

im 5 foot 7, i use a 12 inch box about...maybe taller?

Not sure really, I know it's probably 3-4 inches taller than the box I squat with. Enough to where my leg is below parallel if you were looking at it in the squat form sense. I'm about 5'9".

Thanks brother, yes definetely a few hundred or thousand hours of reading have gotten me to my current level of knowledge. Still got a ton to learn. I jacked this wave up by a ton (30 pounds) from my original max (which I noted that I never ever recommend so do as I say, not as I do) because of me hitting smokeshow triples on my 3rd week last cycle and my addition of wraps. I typically get 20-30 pounds out of my wraps so I took that into account. I'll be getting 400+ on my back the third week of this cycle and next, which is definitely something I need because it's been a while. Hoping to triple 405 next cycle.

hes helped me out with his knowledge recently, im surprised as fuck hes only 16. Y&H, your goin far in the strength world, next dave tate

Thanks bro, just working to achieve my goals one by one, slowly and surely. Not gonna rush this journey whatsoever. Right now I don't dream about headlining IPF World's or being on WSM, instead, I just focus on breaking PR after PR after PR. This is the way to get truely strong - focus on the present and the future will come, you just gotta have faith and put the work in. I just want to be successful in powerlifting and strongman, whether that means being #1 in the world or just a cock strong average joe who does well in pretty average meets and shows is okay with me. For now, I just gotta focus on getting stronger NOW.

Maharg
01-29-09, 11:14 pm
Lol thought of you while hitting up the military press today dude.

Young&Hungry
01-30-09, 6:11 pm
Felt flat out awful today but still had a really productive session with a couple PR's. On my standing militaries even the bar felt heavy and I had to grind out all my warmups. Moral of the story? If you skip workouts because you "feel under the weather" don't train with me.

Standing Militaries - warmups, 120x3, 135x3, 145x4 rep PR and epic nosebleed
Incline DB Press - 60'sx20, 65'sx12, 70's 2x10
T-Bar Rows superset Face Pulls - 1 warmup, 5 sets 15-8 reps up to 3 and a quarter x 8 on rows
Dips - 17 bodyweight PR?, 14, 12, 8
Don't know where the hell that first set of dips came from, especially that I'm at my peak fatness.

Grip Work:
Plate Pinches - some ridiculous number of sets like 10, worked up to a 4 dime pinch with the right hand
Hercules Hold with Smooth Handles - 3 sets 30-60 seconds +, best set 62 seconds with the stack

shizz702
01-30-09, 6:24 pm
Solid work bro, lol at the epic nose bleed!

Those standing militaries are hard, I barely made it through my top set of 5 with them the other day.

Sick plate pinches too, I got to start hitting those up again.

With the dips you should add some weight. Hitting up 17 body weight like that I'd strap on a 25 next time.

Good to see you are sticking with the program and not skipping out, that's the only way to get it done.

Young&Hungry
01-30-09, 6:45 pm
Solid work bro, lol at the epic nose bleed!

Those standing militaries are hard, I barely made it through my top set of 5 with them the other day.

Sick plate pinches too, I got to start hitting those up again.

With the dips you should add some weight. Hitting up 17 body weight like that I'd strap on a 25 next time.

Good to see you are sticking with the program and not skipping out, that's the only way to get it done.

Thanks shizz. Militaries are definately a tough movement with no leg drive, but the carryover I get into my bench just gives me all the more reason to keep drillin' them. I got a hard on for grip work watching a couple Sorinex Week in Review clips, all those guys have ungodly grip strength. I believe they had a vid of one of their guys hitting an 8 dime pinch? Insane.

And about the dips, those were just three really freaky awesome sets for me. My bodyweight exercises generally suck every time I get heavier, I only hit 10-8 every set on a good day at my current bodyweight. Back when I was 160-165 I was able to hit 21 dead hang pullups bodyweight and +35 for 8 on dips. Not anymore! Oh the glories of bulking. No excuses, I just gotta get serious about them. Everytime I wander into the weight room at school I always end up banging out a couple sets of chins, can't get enough of em.

Young&Hungry
01-30-09, 6:48 pm
Just for note I weighed 198 in shoes and clothes today, so in my birthday suit I'm probably 194? Right on track for the meet.

Maharg
01-30-09, 7:06 pm
Great day dude. And you gotta love when you get some sudden burst of energy for a given lift. An nice work with the nose bleed. Always makes you feel manly.

boar
01-31-09, 12:55 am
I m jealous I have never gotten a nosebleed before. I have puked plenty of times training but a good nosebleed must be fun.

prowrestler
01-31-09, 9:50 pm
I m jealous I have never gotten a nosebleed before. I have puked plenty of times training but a good nosebleed must be fun.

ill take it one step further, the only time i puked was from drinking 200 carbs worth of oats grinded up before a summer training session.

i dont puke lol

Y&H, sick military pressin. ever see jim wendler do them? thats a bad ass strict presser

for your hercules holds im guessing you stood between to cable pulleys?

Young&Hungry
01-31-09, 11:37 pm
Great day dude. And you gotta love when you get some sudden burst of energy for a given lift. An nice work with the nose bleed. Always makes you feel manly.

Nosebleeds are always a good sign of a hard fought lift, love em. Thanks for the props.

I think instead of the traditional back fat slap I'm gonna start punching you in the nose to fire you up. Wanna squat Thursday at Gold's?

ill take it one step further, the only time i puked was from drinking 200 carbs worth of oats grinded up before a summer training session.

i dont puke lol

Y&H, sick military pressin. ever see jim wendler do them? thats a bad ass strict presser

for your hercules holds im guessing you stood between to cable pulleys?

I used to puke sometimes back when I used to bodybuild when I used to do giant sets for legs but I haven't since. I have a deviated septum so I get nosebleeds that produce murder scene volume amounts of blood all the time but I've had a good year so far. Nick is a chronic puker during workouts actually. He's actually how I got the idea how to do those cable cross herc holds, effortless way to get some grip work and a good mental test in.

Jim's had a nasty overhead for years now. I've been getting really impressed with big overheads and grip strength lately. One of my favorite stories is hearing Mikhail Koklayev casually jerk 500 pounds for reps at an olympic lifting expo at the Arnold last year without a warmup. He's by far one of my favorite strength athletes, pulled nearly 900 raw in a meet, was the heavyweight olympic lifting champion in his early 20's, and an already freakishly good strongman despite being very green to the sport. A true freak in everything he does.

dominate77
01-31-09, 11:41 pm
you heard of cauterizing your nose? i use to get those big bloody noses at least once a week so i had it done and have only had about 2 since than, and they were very small in comparison.

Young&Hungry
02-01-09, 12:00 am
Tomorrow - cleans, DC RDL's, band GM's or kettlebell work, box jumps, grip
Tuesday - bench, floor press w/chain for reps, tri extensions, DB rows, curls
Thursday - squat, belt squat, reverse hyper, glute ham, abs
Saturdy - military press, incline DB's, chins superset h-rolls, pushdowns, curls

Clean - 180x5, 205x3, 235x1+
Bench - 190x5, 220x3, 245x1+
Squat - 315x5, 355x5, 400x1+
Military - 115x5, 135x3, 150x1+

Deload the next week, and we begin probably my final complete cycle before the meet. Into the brink...

Young&Hungry
02-01-09, 12:04 am
you heard of cauterizing your nose? i use to get those big bloody noses at least once a week so i had it done and have only had about 2 since than, and they were very small in comparison.

I used to get awful ones between 2-6 times a day last winter (seriously this isn't an exaggeration), but this year I think I've only had three all season and none have even come close to the level of my old ones. I was gonna get it cauterized before this winter but things have been going so well lately I don't need to anymore, knock on wood.

Young&Hungry
02-01-09, 5:09 pm
Woke up late, had some oats, eggs, and grapefruit and was off to train. Couldn't sit still to wait for an afternoon session.

Cleans - warmups, 180x5, 205x3, 235x1, 235x4 HUGE rep PR
DC RDL's - 135x15 warmup, 185x6+205x6+225x6+245x6+265x4 for two sets, 185x12 downset
Barbell Shrugs - 275x20, 315 3x12
Band GM's superset Side Bends - 3 sets 1 minute with the light band to 75's 3x10

During - 10 g's EAA
PWO - 75 g's waxy maize, 10 g's leucine, 10 g's creatine, 10 g's EAA
Hour later - 9 oz chicken with apples, 8 oz oven roasted potatoes, mushroom/corn/olive/tomato/broccoli/green bean medley

On that first set of 235, I nailed the first and honestly probably had 5 more reps because it felt that light but I caught it awkwardly in the hole and fell backwards. This pissed me off to no end because I still had so much in the tank so I decided to go for another set and ended up getting a sweet PR. I have never cleaned anything over 225 for more than a single so this is a big time PR. The DC RDL's I got from Dane Kelley. Basically these are RDL's with a twist (I did mine off a raised platform). Take a weight you can normally do for 12 reps and start with that. Do 6 reps and then add a dime to each side. Keep doing this until you can no longer complete 6 reps. That's one set.

The rest of the workout was solid and productive. Just wanted to reflect on my training cycle thus far. Even though someone could say it's just a high school meet, it's not like it's nationals or something, I've never been so amped to train in my lifting career. When I watch Youtube vids or do my pretty much daily reading I can't get the thought of winning off my mind and start pacing around my room dying to just lift. My recent sessions have been the most focused and intense sessions I've ever had in my life, even on days where I feel like total shit. On off days, I can't sit still and just want to keep training. It's also been my most productive few months ever in terms of breaking a PR almost every day I train. Something about my nature will not allow me to take a backseat to this meet and with the attitude I've been bringing to my daily training I know I will not put forth anything but my best on the 21st and return a state champion. I've been bitten by the bug for sure....

prowrestler
02-02-09, 1:45 am
sick cleans dude, that is a huge pr man!

your sourounding workout nutrition looks good but id add atleast 25 grams whey to post workout. leucine is very good

IRBS
02-02-09, 9:15 am
Felt flat out awful today but still had a really productive session with a couple PR's. On my standing militaries even the bar felt heavy and I had to grind out all my warmups. Moral of the story? If you skip workouts because you "feel under the weather" don't train with me.

Standing Militaries - warmups, 120x3, 135x3, 145x4 rep PR and epic nosebleed
Incline DB Press - 60'sx20, 65'sx12, 70's 2x10
T-Bar Rows superset Face Pulls - 1 warmup, 5 sets 15-8 reps up to 3 and a quarter x 8 on rows
Dips - 17 bodyweight PR?, 14, 12, 8
Don't know where the hell that first set of dips came from, especially that I'm at my peak fatness.

Grip Work:
Plate Pinches - some ridiculous number of sets like 10, worked up to a 4 dime pinch with the right hand
Hercules Hold with Smooth Handles - 3 sets 30-60 seconds +, best set 62 seconds with the stack

Nice work Carlos. Congrats on the nosebleed....

boar
02-02-09, 3:37 pm
Woke up late, had some oats, eggs, and grapefruit and was off to train. Couldn't sit still to wait for an afternoon session.

Cleans - warmups, 180x5, 205x3, 235x1, 235x4 HUGE rep PR
DC RDL's - 135x15 warmup, 185x6+205x6+225x6+245x6+265x4 for two sets, 185x12 downset
Band GM's superset Side Bends - 3 sets 1 minute with the light band to 75's 3x10

During - 10 g's EAA
PWO - 75 g's waxy maize, 10 g's leucine, 10 g's creatine, 10 g's EAA
Hour later - 9 oz chicken with apples, 8 oz oven roasted potatoes, mushroom/corn/olive/tomato/broccoli/green bean medley

On that first set of 235, I nailed the first and honestly probably had 5 more reps because it felt that light but I caught it awkwardly in the hole and fell backwards. This pissed me off to no end because I still had so much in the tank so I decided to go for another set and ended up getting a sweet PR. I have never cleaned anything over 225 for more than a single so this is a big time PR. The DC RDL's I got from Dane Kelley. Basically these are RDL's with a twist (I did mine off a raised platform). Take a weight you can normally do for 12 reps and start with that. Do 6 reps and then add a dime to each side. Keep doing this until you can no longer complete 6 reps. That's one set.

The rest of the workout was solid and productive. Just wanted to reflect on my training cycle thus far. Even though someone could say it's just a high school meet, it's not like it's nationals or something, I've never been so amped to train in my lifting career. When I watch Youtube vids or do my pretty much daily reading I can't get the thought of winning off my mind and start pacing around my room dying to just lift. My recent sessions have been the most focused and intense sessions I've ever had in my life, even on days where I feel like total shit. On off days, I can't sit still and just want to keep training. It's also been my most productive few months ever in terms of breaking a PR almost every day I train. Something about my nature will not allow me to take a backseat to this meet and with the attitude I've been bringing to my daily training I know I will not put forth anything but my best on the 21st and return a state champion. I've been bitten by the bug for sure....

Dude, I m proud of you bro. You have come a long way since last year and you seem to be zoned in for this meet. Your work ethic is phenomenol keep it up man.

I m going to squat on wednesday because I need two days off from legs in order to do events. I m going to do upper body either tuesday or thursday.

Young&Hungry
02-02-09, 6:06 pm
Dude, I m proud of you bro. You have come a long way since last year and you seem to be zoned in for this meet. Your work ethic is phenomenol keep it up man.

I m going to squat on wednesday because I need two days off from legs in order to do events. I m going to do upper body either tuesday or thursday.

I'm down to squat Wednesday. If you wanna come down to Globo for upper body that would be sweet but I'll make the hike up to Gold's for Wednesdays skwaaaaaaaaating.

Young&Hungry
02-02-09, 6:31 pm
sick cleans dude, that is a huge pr man!

your sourounding workout nutrition looks good but id add atleast 25 grams whey to post workout. leucine is very good

Thanks man, that PR was all mental. I'm actually happy I missed that first set because I got so pissed off that the anger let those three extra reps happen. Just goes to show you the power of the mind. The PWO supp I use actually has 25g's of hydrolyzed whey in it as well so my bases are covered there.

Nice work Carlos. Congrats on the nosebleed....

Nosebleeds are a sign of pure success. Thanks bro!

boar
02-02-09, 11:43 pm
Im working till 5 at gnc wednesday. if you want me to go to globo at 6 I could do that. We can make a seen together.

prowrestler
02-02-09, 11:49 pm
yo man

i didnt miss a single rep on wave 1! ughm, i got 12 reps on deads for the last set, 5 on bench and on the strict press and 7 on the squat. looks good so far man!

Young&Hungry
02-04-09, 9:33 pm
Easily my most pathetic show of benching in recent memory. Positively awful.

Bench - warmups, 180x5, 220x3, 245x2 ugliest double I've put up in my life, 245x2 cause I was so pissed
Floor Press w/ 120lb Chain - warmups, 155+chain x 6, 165+chain 2x5, 155+chain x 6
Chins superset Side Laterals - 6 sets, 12-5 reps on chins to 12-15 reps on laterals
Football Bar Extensions - 4 sets 10
Hammer Curls - 50's 1x12 for a pump

Well my benching was epically horrendous. Upper back tuck was awful, lat control sucked, can't handle a good handoff - nothing that can't be fixed however. I need to start going to Southside every Friday night after this cycle's over now that I'm back to training four days a week. I know the form - I just need those constant form commands every set to make sure I don't skip a beat.

Anyways, Boar got in the briefs (what a fucking sight in a commericial gym) and hit some heavy rep work after his 5/3/1 work. He hit a big time double on 535 in briefs and leaving easily 2-3 more in the tank because of the shitty bar rolling off his shoulders. One of the guido staff members came up to him and gave a verbal lashing to ME about him making a "mess" with the chalk and how it's not allowed. He yelled at me because we all know you don't fuck with a fat man in tights who just hit a big squat. Boar proceeded to make obscene gestures as soon as he turned around with the whole gym watching. With his first visit involving dropping 315 from overhead press height onto the floor and getting bitched at for swearing and using chalk, and today's antics of wearing briefs in a gym full of hot chicks, chalk abuse, and excessive yellage is safe to say that this is Boar's last visit to Globo. We did however, hand mop the floors, spray down the bars and plates, and put back everything we used so I don't understand all the fuss. Another day in the life of a Globo Gym member.

boar
02-04-09, 9:45 pm
&Hungry
Easily my most pathetic show of benching in recent memory. Positively awful.

Bench - warmups, 180x5, 220x3, 245x2 ugliest double I've put up in my life, 245x2 cause I was so pissed
Floor Press w/ 120lb Chain - warmups, 155+chain x 6, 165+chain 2x5, 155+chain x 6
Chins superset Side Laterals - 6 sets, 12-5 reps on chins to 12-15 reps on laterals
Football Bar Extensions - 4 sets 10
Hammer Curls - 50's 1x12 for a pump

Well my benching was epically horrendous. Upper back tuck was awful, lat control sucked, can't handle a good handoff - nothing that can't be fixed however. I need to start going to Southside every Friday night after this cycle's over now that I'm back to training four days a week. I know the form - I just need those constant form commands every set to make sure I don't skip a beat.

Anyways, Boar got in the briefs (what a fucking sight in a commericial gym) and hit some heavy rep work after his 5/3/1 work. He hit a big time double on 535 in briefs and leaving easily 2-3 more in the tank because of the shitty bar rolling off his shoulders. One of the guido staff members came up to him and gave a verbal lashing to ME about him making a "mess" with the chalk and how it's not allowed. He yelled at me because we all know you don't fuck with a fat man in tights who just hit a big squat. Boar proceeded to make obscene gestures as soon as he turned around with the whole gym watching. With his first visit involving dropping 315 from overhead press height onto the floor and getting bitched at for swearing and using chalk, and today's antics of wearing briefs in a gym full of hot chicks, chalk abuse, and excessive yellage is safe to say that this is Boar's last visit to Globo. We did however, hand mop the floors, spray down the bars and plates, and put back everything we used so I don't understand all the fuss. Another day in the life of a Globo Gym member.

That was quite an epic globo workout. I was looking forward to making a scene.

Your benching will improve with a little form drilling with vincenzo. I can also help you take a handoff right too. You can't have all good sessions take this and make a plan of attack next time to improve.

btw, I saw that guy on the way out. I apologized about the chalk thing and he went on a tangent about it ruining the floor. Before he could finish I said, "Don't worry, I won't be here again." smiled then walked out.

prowrestler
02-04-09, 11:49 pm
well that was one session not soon to be forgotten it seems!

wow, im soo happy i know everyone at my gym and no one cares about the chalk i use and stuff.

better luck next time for your benchin, keep in mind your out benching nearly and 16 year old kid.

Young&Hungry
02-05-09, 5:09 pm
Washed my hands clean of that shit performance last night. Weighed 195 today.

Squat - warmups, 315x5 no belt, 360x3 still no belt, 405x5 belt and wraps another massive rep PR
Single Leg Squats - 60'sx12, 65'x12, 70'sx10 PR, 75's 2x10 PR
Face Pulls - 3 sets 20-15 reps
Hypers - 5 sets 10

A squat day to remember for sure. I haven't had anything over 400 pounds on my back in 4 months or more so I was a bit concerned about how it would feel on my back again. I made my first two work sets look like speed work so I knew I was gonna shit on 405. I really worked hard on getting my elbows directly in line with the bar and it made a HUGE difference. Last week on video with 380 I noticed my elbows looked almost horizontal with the bar and that set wasn't a particularly great set. So I really put some effort in my setup into getting them perfectly vertical to the bar and I was a hell of a lot more stable, not bowing over, and a lot more explosive. That last set was probably my most technically perfect squats of the new year, I had another rep or two in me but I had freshman spotting me so I didn't want to risk it. Only thing to note is that my knees shot in just a little coming out of the hole on the last two, but I corrected that pretty quick. Best depth I've had all cycle however.

Just did some standard assistance work and hit a couple nice PR's on split squats. Overhead Saturday.

boar
02-05-09, 5:13 pm
Dude that is a big squat 405x5 thats big. Good work kid thats my reps range w/o the briefs basically. Way to bounce back from yesterdays shenanigans.

prowrestler
02-05-09, 5:14 pm
Washed my hands clean of that shit performance last night. Weighed 195 today.

Squat - warmups, 315x5 no belt, 360x3 still no belt, 405x5 belt and wraps another massive rep PR
Single Leg Squats - 60'sx12, 65'x12, 70'sx10 PR, 75's 2x10 PR
Face Pulls - 3 sets 20-15 reps
Hypers - 5 sets 10

A squat day to remember for sure. I haven't had anything over 400 pounds on my back in 4 months or more so I was a bit concerned about how it would feel on my back again. I made my first two work sets look like speed work so I knew I was gonna shit on 405. I really worked hard on getting my elbows directly in line with the bar and it made a HUGE difference. Last week on video with 380 I noticed my elbows looked almost horizontal with the bar and that set wasn't a particularly great set. So I really put some effort in my setup into getting them perfectly vertical to the bar and I was a hell of a lot more stable, not bowing over, and a lot more explosive. That last set was probably my most technically perfect squats of the new year, I had another rep or two in me but I had freshman spotting me so I didn't want to risk it. Only thing to note is that my knees shot in just a little coming out of the hole on the last two, but I corrected that pretty quick. Best depth I've had all cycle however.

Just did some standard assistance work and hit a couple nice PR's on split squats. Overhead Saturday.

sick fuckin day man, nice pr's and seeing how 405 was ment for a single, thats a damn good pr!

Young&Hungry
02-05-09, 5:15 pm
Dude that is a big squat 405x5 thats big. Good work kid thats my reps range w/o the briefs basically. Way to bounce back from yesterdays shenanigans.

I'm looking to go 435-465-480 at the big show my dude. I was worried that my squat was falling behind with all this rep work but today was just more proof that Wendler knows how to get strong, plain and simple.

Little Houghton
02-05-09, 10:16 pm
damn young, i've followed this and your past journeys for a long while now, just never really made any comments, i just now realized you're only 16, that is crazy strength for someone your age! when is this meet you're gettin ready for?

Young&Hungry
02-06-09, 12:08 am
sick fuckin day man, nice pr's and seeing how 405 was ment for a single, thats a damn good pr!

Thanks man, the weight room was pretty much empty and there was a good track on so I definately had some anger flowing. How's your training coming along? School's got me swamped so I can only post on this thread until the weekend. I'll stop by then though.

damn young, i've followed this and your past journeys for a long while now, just never really made any comments, i just now realized you're only 16, that is crazy strength for someone your age! when is this meet you're gettin ready for?

Glad to see you in here bro. Yep, just 16 years young, coming up on three years under the bar this March. The state meet I'm prepping for is March 21st. Boar's coming up to handle me and I'll be bringing the camera for a full video of every lift so it should be a huge day for me.

Just a side note, I'm projecting my openers and hopeful 3rd attempts here:
Squat - 435 (480+)
Bench - 250-260, need to see how next wave goes (285-295)
Clean - 245 (275+)

Little Houghton
02-06-09, 12:22 am
well good luck man, it looks like we are pretty similiar in everything, except you know how to do a clean lol, im not coordinated/interested enough to learn. Seeing as how this meet is clean you probably dont deadlift much, but what is your best pull?

prowrestler
02-06-09, 12:37 am
goiin good dude, i nailed 6 reps on the triple week for bench

Young&Hungry
02-06-09, 3:44 pm
well good luck man, it looks like we are pretty similiar in everything, except you know how to do a clean lol, im not coordinated/interested enough to learn. Seeing as how this meet is clean you probably dont deadlift much, but what is your best pull?

Easy 475 sumo waaaaaaay back in August when I was 185 pounds, haven't pulled anything appreciable since then. I still mess around with 315-335 conventional for sets of 10 after cleans every once in a while. After the meet I'll be doing 9-12 weeks of training my pull though. Gotta get that 500 monkey off my back and then get my conventional pull up there too.

prowrestler
02-06-09, 4:53 pm
Easy 475 sumo waaaaaaay back in August when I was 185 pounds, haven't pulled anything appreciable since then. I still mess around with 315-335 conventional for sets of 10 after cleans every once in a while. After the meet I'll be doing 9-12 weeks of training my pull though. Gotta get that 500 monkey off my back and then get my conventional pull up there too.

500 avoided me before, never again, it will be captured by both of us in a matter of time

Young&Hungry
02-07-09, 11:53 pm
Standing Military - warmups, 115x5, 135x3, 150x4 rep PR
Incline DB Press - 60'sx15, 70'sx12, 75'sx10, 80'sx9
Barbell Rows - 185x20, 205x12, 205x10, 225x10 PR
DB Shrugs superset DB Cleans - 3 sets 12-15 reps
Incline DB Curlz - 40's 4x10

500 avoided me before, never again, it will be captured by both of us in a matter of time

Taking it for sure once I get back to pulling, then I'm gonna pull conventional for a while to even my strength between conventional and sumo a la Chuck Vogelpohl style.

dominate77
02-07-09, 11:56 pm
some inspiring shit bro! squatting is just nuts and overheads are looking good too

prowrestler
02-07-09, 11:59 pm
Standing Military - warmups, 115x5, 135x3, 150x4 rep PR
Incline DB Press - 60'sx15, 70'sx12, 75'sx10, 80'sx9
Barbell Rows - 185x20, 205x12, 205x10, 225x10 PR
DB Shrugs superset DB Cleans - 3 sets 12-15 reps
Incline DB Curlz - 40's 4x10

Taking it for sure once I get back to pulling, then I'm gonna pull conventional for a while to even my strength between conventional and sumo a la Chuck Vogelpohl style.

sick day man

i think im better conv, but my sumo has gotten that groove down right so who knows

Little Houghton
02-08-09, 11:47 am

yea 500 is a great goal for sure man, at your age that is freakish! im tryin to get 550 and then 600 here in the next year or so for sure. I just realized you're opening with 435 on squat, thats nuts man!

Young&Hungry
02-08-09, 12:13 pm
some inspiring shit bro! squatting is just nuts and overheads are looking good too

Thanks man! Gotta put in the work for a big squat. Overheads have really increased a ton since I started this program. Not too long ago I was struggling with 95 strict overhead! Embarressing.

sick day man

i think im better conv, but my sumo has gotten that groove down right so who knows

Just do whatever feels right to you. I plan on getting into strongman in the future and with experience in the implements, there's not one event that a good sumo deadlift carries over into. Conventional flat out does not agree with me but I know it's critical in my clean and strongman training. Once I started getting my conventional up my events shot up like night and day, and I only do events maybe once or twice a month at absolute most? Once I pull 500 sumo I'd like to get my conventional up to about the same and then I won't have a problem.

yea 500 is a great goal for sure man, at your age that is freakish! im tryin to get 550 and then 600 here in the next year or so for sure. I just realized you're opening with 435 on squat, thats nuts man!

That's a big pull for an 18 year old yourself man. I've always been a natural squatter so I have some lofty goals in that lift. I hit 435 back during the beginning of football season without knee wraps and just a loose belt so considering how much heavier and stronger I've gotten, not haing a maxed out CNS because of football, getting a new pair of wraps, and a comp fit belt I should smoke this lift and be on my way to a first place total.

TunnelVision338
02-09-09, 4:48 pm
Looking good bro. You've had some beast sessions as of late. Keep it up

Young&Hungry
02-09-09, 5:17 pm
Let the boredom begin.

Conventional Deadlifts - warmups, 275x20, 315x12, 315x10, 335x8 awful school weightroom bar and no chalk, could barely hang on to anything
Thick Rope Chins - 50 reps total
Hyperextensions - 50 reps total
Med Ball Abs - 3 sets 20

Hill Runs - 20 sprints up about a 40 yard, moderately steep hill

Sacrificing my manhood with a little over an hour of yoga tomorrow. Gonna baseball roll everything later tonight.

NJC_Manhattan
02-09-09, 5:20 pm
One of the guido staff members came up to him and gave a verbal lashing to ME about him making a "mess" with the chalk and how it's not allowed. He yelled at me because we all know you don't fuck with a fat man in tights who just hit a big squat. Boar proceeded to make obscene gestures as soon as he turned around with the whole gym watching. With his first visit involving dropping 315 from overhead press height onto the floor and getting bitched at for swearing and using chalk, and today's antics of wearing briefs in a gym full of hot chicks, chalk abuse, and excessive yellage is safe to say that this is Boar's last visit to Globo. We did however, hand mop the floors, spray down the bars and plates, and put back everything we used so I don't understand all the fuss. Another day in the life of a Globo Gym member.

LOL! I'm practically in tears. There was a guy who used to work at my gym (H&R NYC) from an LA fitness who loved wearing Armani Exchange, cologne, and talking on his phone at the gym. All he did was the beach workout (arms/chest) every time. He was real into to be a gym tough guy. This post of the staff member just reminded me of him.

Maharg
02-09-09, 6:38 pm
Let the boredom begin.

Conventional Deadlifts - warmups, 275x20, 315x12, 315x10, 335x8 awful school weightroom bar and no chalk, could barely hang on to anything
Med Ball Abs - 3 sets 20

Sacrificing my manhood with a little over an hour of yoga tomorrow. Gonna baseball roll everything later tonight.

Dude, yoga is actually a blessing. It gets a bad rap, but it loosens you up so well. besides, if anyone makes fun of you, challenge them to a lifting contest.

prowrestler
02-09-09, 6:43 pm
Let the boredom begin.

Med Ball Abs - 3 sets 20

looks good to me man

boar
02-10-09, 12:54 am
thats a good pulling workout my young friend. Don't feel like a sap for doing yoga your doing the right thing in aiding your body in recovery. My "deload" week is going to be heavy SSB squats.

Young&Hungry
02-10-09, 10:57 pm
I was messing around in the football locker room after school on my off day. The freshman do their cleans out in the hall of the weightroom so I was walking around and somehow I ended up doing some one armed barbell clean and presses on a dare with their weights. I ended up doing 95 and 105 for singles with both arms and 115 with just the right. These were actually hard as hell, it's all about balance and positioning yourself. I messed around with some one armed barbell snatches with like 65. Obviously not a workout, just having some fun.

Benching tomorrow, just taking 60-65-70% for really high reps, suspended pushups, blackburns, band pushdowns, cable curls. Probably gonna get my ass on the hill again as well.

LOL! I'm practically in tears. There was a guy who used to work at my gym (H&R NYC) from an LA fitness who loved wearing Armani Exchange, cologne, and talking on his phone at the gym. All he did was the beach workout (arms/chest) every time. He was real into to be a gym tough guy. This post of the staff member just reminded me of him.

This man apparently has a clone. My gym is freakin' tool city.

Dude, yoga is actually a blessing. It gets a bad rap, but it loosens you up so well. besides, if anyone makes fun of you, challenge them to a lifting contest.

looks good to me man

thats a good pulling workout my young friend. Don't feel like a sap for doing yoga your doing the right thing in aiding your body in recovery. My "deload" week is going to be heavy SSB squats.

Young&Hungry
02-10-09, 11:31 pm
Maharg - yoga is sick. Today I got a ton of shoulder mobility work out of it and my lower back tightnes is gone from yesterday. Awesome stuff.

Pro - as always thanks bro. Ready to start the final brick in the wall for the meet right after this deload.

Boar - Thanks for the props. SSB squatting? Typical. You're gonna be the first man to squat a grand with the safety bar.

prowrestler
02-10-09, 11:47 pm
sick man

i begin wave 3 tomorow

now, after m delaod, im guessing you want mwe to stay on 531? in my head it seems thats how it should be

Young&Hungry
02-11-09, 8:15 pm
Bench - warmups, 135x15, 155x20, 185x16 rep PR, 165 2x12 completely gassed my endurance blows
Offset Med Ball Pushups - 4 sets aiming for 10+ reps
Seated Rows superset Blackburns - 4 sets 15-8 reps to 4 sets 1 minute
Chins - 1x8, 1x6
Band Pushdowns superset DB Curls - 3x20 with the monster mini and light to 40's 3x10

We're supposed to be maxing on all three lifts tomorrow for the football coaches. I ended up convincing my coaches that I was having nerve pain from my old back injury and they let me off with taking a bench rep max and no squatting or cleaning. I didn't want to go too much over 70% so I just took 185. Don't think this is me being a lazy prick, I'm just dedicating myself wholeheartedly to the program I'm on and I'm not gonna screw up the road of progress this close out to a meet. Sweet, everyone's happy and I stay on track.

Pretty typical boring deload stuff today. Got a nice pump and got outta there. Snapped my phone in half today walking up a hill and slipping so Nick if you're trying to reach me hit me up on PM's.

widdlewade44
02-11-09, 8:23 pm
Nice work brother, keep marching forward and good luck on your Journey, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Young&Hungry
02-13-09, 5:50 pm
Squats to 10" Box (paused) - warmups, 225x12, 275x10, 300x9, 275x10, 245x12
Chain Suspended GM's - 165x12, 175 2x10
Leg Curls - 5 sets 15-10 reps

Box Jumps - 6 sets
Hanging Leg Raises - 4 sets

Bike to and from gym.

Pretty nice deload squat session. Used the 10" box which is practically like an olympic squat for me, really hammered the low back. Did some typical assistance stuff and was out. About to dine on some buffalo steaks and whole wheat spaghetti.

On another note, the football team's having a rave tonight to ring in the vacation. We always do it big so please pray for me, LOL.

prowrestler
02-13-09, 6:28 pm
shit dude nice benchin with 185 for 16!

those squats looked killer too for deload, drink a gatorade over the beer!

boar
02-14-09, 12:24 am
Kid from your team came in to GNC Billy Mcneil think his name was. Prayin that you did not over do it tonight. I trust you though kid. Lets hit squats on wednesday.

Young&Hungry
02-14-09, 8:28 am
shit dude nice benchin with 185 for 16!

those squats looked killer too for deload, drink a gatorade over the beer!

Thanks man, I was happy with that because maybe a year or two ago that was a max. I wanna start adding a repout set after my bench days every so often because I had some more reps in me strength wise, I just burned out. Squats felt good as well, box was a nice way to change it up a bit. I can really tell how much stronger my low back has gotten over the course of the past few cycles, even when I start to fatigue in general my arch doesn't falter. I used to have a bad problem with hunching over with heavy weights. Even though I train them so sparingly I credit this to training events and pulling conventional.

And it's all about being responsible and mature, gotta know when the party has to stop.

Kid from your team came in to GNC Billy Mcneil think his name was. Prayin that you did not over do it tonight. I trust you though kid. Lets hit squats on wednesday.

Yeah he's a monster D-End who will probably start next year but just has to work on being humble. Definitely an awesome athlete though, much more athletic than myself. And no worries it's nothing an hour on the treadmill today can't take care of. If we go to Waterbury Monday I'd be hitting my cleans and some light event work so I wouldn't squat Wednesday, I'd be doing militaries or bench. I'd still go up to Gold's with you though for sure.

Young&Hungry
02-15-09, 5:31 pm
Trying to keep the weight down. Bodyweight was 197.5 in my birthday suit today. I see low carb days in my future.

Saturday - 60 mins walking on the tread (15% incline, 3.7-4.1mph) bike to and from gym
Today - 20 hill sprints, steep incline about 10-15 yards, 45 seconds rest between, bike to and from hill

Young&Hungry
02-16-09, 1:33 am
http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

boar
02-16-09, 12:01 pm

This site would make the rhodestown hall of fame. My favorites were the bacon egg and cheeses between donuts, hotdogs wrapped in beef and bacon, so many more.

Young&Hungry
02-16-09, 4:08 pm
This site would make the rhodestown hall of fame. My favorites were the bacon egg and cheeses between donuts, hotdogs wrapped in beef and bacon, so many more.

I gagged when I read the McNuggetini and the gravy pizza descriptions.

NJC_Manhattan
02-16-09, 4:12 pm

LOL! that is amazing. I guy I played football with (Offensive Center) probably had the best fat kid moves of all time. Here they are in order of awesomeness

1) Buy a large pizza, fold in half, then fold it in half again, and then eat it like a sandwich

2) Use frito-lays are mini spoons while eating ice-cream

3) Crushing up oreos and then pouring milk over them, and eating it like cereal.

That website is pretty amazing.

Young&Hungry
02-16-09, 7:02 pm
Keeping it +5 on upper body lifts and +10 on lower body lifts like Wendler recommends for this cycle. Officially four weeks out from the meet.

Bench - warmups, 195x5, 210x5, 225x6
Close Grip vs. Doubled Mini's - 135 3x6
Football Bar Extensions - 4 sets, 15-8 reps
Lat Pulldowns superset H-Rolls - 5 sets, 15-10 reps
Seated DB Curls - 3 sets 8

30 mins on treadmill, 15.0% grade between 3.5-3.8 mph

FINALLY unfucked my upper back issues on the bench. I finally realized that today during my first couple of warmups that I did have my shoulder blades pinched together like you're supposed to, but I never rolled them forward. Rhodes killed me on it last time I was at Southside but I never figured out what the hell he meant until now. So basically I was not maximizing my arch and making it awkward to touch, and most importantly destroying my bar path all the time. Once I finally rolled my traps forward and made my upper back one unit and entirely in contact with the bench, my bar path was awesome. One of the bests sets I've had in a while. That alone made the rest of the session, I've been struggling with my upper back ever since Vinny showed me how to bench in August and it's been really worrying me until now. More added confidence heading into the meet.

prowrestler
02-16-09, 7:35 pm
Keeping it +5 on upper body lifts and +10 on lower body lifts like Wendler recommends for this cycle. Officially four weeks out from the meet.

FINALLY unfucked my upper back issues on the bench. I finally realized that today during my first couple of warmups that I did have my shoulder blades pinched together like you're supposed to, but I never rolled them forward. Rhodes killed me on it last time I was at Southside but I never figured out what the hell he meant until now. So basically I was not maximizing my arch and making it awkward to touch, and most importantly destroying my bar path all the time. Once I finally rolled my traps forward and made my upper back one unit and entirely in contact with the bench, my bar path was awesome. One of the bests sets I've had in a while. That alone made the rest of the session, I've been struggling with my upper back ever since Vinny showed me how to bench in August and it's been really worrying me until now. More added confidence heading into the meet.

by roll forward, u mean what exactly?

Young&Hungry
02-16-09, 7:44 pm
by roll forward, u mean what exactly?

It's really tough to describe in words. I'm sure you know a thing or two about setup - arch, squeeze and flare lats, squeeze the hell out of the bar, head on bench, feet wide, on your toes or flat feet to get leg drive, elbow tuck. Concerning the upper back, you're want to pinch your scapulas together as hard as you can, but at the same time, you want the entire upper back on the bench for stability purposes. If you're only pinching you will not be in a stable position, which was my problem. To do that basically the best way I can describe it is you want to pinch your scaps, and then basically "flatten" the pinch out out while still having your shoulder blades together and basically move the pinch down by rolling your shoulder blades down towards the end of the bench. This maximizes your arch, adds stability, better access to digging the bar into your lats, and makes your touching point much more consistant, If you have it right your upper back will be completely flat but you'll still have a completely tight shoulder blade pinch going on.

boar
02-16-09, 9:29 pm

Nice way to start out your new wave of bench. One of these sessions we hit I want to work on you taking my handoff right because I am planning on going to the meet with you so we have to work together on this.

If you are able to make it up to golds that would be sick. If the drive is too long you could meet me at the milford mall or something. Probably going to do some SSB squatting for my "deload" week.

Maharg
02-16-09, 10:20 pm
Always good to see the work you put in dude.

Young&Hungry
02-17-09, 1:00 am
Nice way to start out your new wave of bench. One of these sessions we hit I want to work on you taking my handoff right because I am planning on going to the meet with you so we have to work together on this.

If you are able to make it up to golds that would be sick. If the drive is too long you could meet me at the milford mall or something. Probably going to do some SSB squatting for my "deload" week.

I'll meet you at the mall 4:30 on Wednesday cause I restock on my supps anyways. I'll get a ride from Gold's home though. I'm not benching again till next Monday but we could work on it Thursday when I hit militaries. I noticed today I was touching high on my first work sets. Next set I touched it where you tell me to and I noticed it throws my groove for the whole lift off and my bar speed sucks, even with low weight. I think that's why I sucked shit on that 245 last session. I find I am strongest touching between below nipple line and the end of my sternum/xiphoid process but I'm obviously not gonna back talk what you or Vin say to me about anything relating to the bench. I don't know if touching low is just not for me, if I'm doing it wrong, or whatever.

Always good to see the work you put in dude.

Thanks man. As amped as I am for this meet I can't wait to break the cycle. The only problem with 5/3/1 is the monotony, but it's about getting strong and not entertainment. For about two weeks after I'm just gonna have fun with my training. Track starts the Monday after the meet but my coach is giving me the first week off. One of the branches of my gym has a climbing wall and some huge kettlebells so I'll probably be training there - tons of bodyweight stuff, climbing, conditioning, and doing whatever the fuck I want generally. Then I'll ease back into the good old 5/3/1. Definitely doing a full power meet in June-July and wanna see if any strongman shows with a teen division come up in August.

prowrestler
02-17-09, 1:02 am
It's really tough to describe in words. I'm sure you know a thing or two about setup - arch, squeeze and flare lats, squeeze the hell out of the bar, head on bench, feet wide, on your toes or flat feet to get leg drive, elbow tuck. Concerning the upper back, you're want to pinch your scapulas together as hard as you can, but at the same time, you want the entire upper back on the bench for stability purposes. If you're only pinching you will not be in a stable position, which was my problem. To do that basically the best way I can describe it is you want to pinch your scaps, and then basically "flatten" the pinch out out while still having your shoulder blades together and basically move the pinch down by rolling your shoulder blades down towards the end of the bench. This maximizes your arch, adds stability, better access to digging the bar into your lats, and makes your touching point much more consistant, If you have it right your upper back will be completely flat but you'll still have a completely tight shoulder blade pinch going on.

got it, i thought so, kinda like the opposite of a shrug i think, i started doing that too

boar
02-17-09, 1:22 am
&Hungry
I'll meet you at the mall 4:30 on Wednesday cause I restock on my supps anyways. I'll get a ride from Gold's home though. I'm not benching again till next Monday but we could work on it Thursday when I hit militaries. I noticed today I was touching high on my first work sets. Next set I touched it where you tell me to and I noticed it throws my groove for the whole lift off and my bar speed sucks, even with low weight. I think that's why I sucked shit on that 245 last session. I find I am strongest touching between below nipple line and the end of my sternum/xiphoid process but I'm obviously not gonna back talk what you or Vin say to me about anything relating to the bench. I don't know if touching low is just not for me, if I'm doing it wrong, or whatever.

Yea that sounds good bro. You are probably stronger benching high. You have been benching this way since you started lifting so its not that your benching wrong but your still bench like a bodybuilder. Your stronger keeping your shoulders shrugged up rather then down. You don't bench like a powerlifter yet which is not a bad thing. We will work on it though.

Looking forward to a big squatting session at golds. Maybe we will see the old ambigiously gay duo Johnny and Jerry.

Young&Hungry
02-17-09, 10:57 am
&Hungry

Yea that sounds good bro. You are probably stronger benching high. You have been benching this way since you started lifting so its not that your benching wrong but your still bench like a bodybuilder. Your stronger keeping your shoulders shrugged up rather then down. You don't bench like a powerlifter yet which is not a bad thing. We will work on it though.

Looking forward to a big squatting session at golds. Maybe we will see the old ambigiously gay duo Johnny and Jerry.

That's the thing I fixed yesterday - shrugging my shoulders down rather than up. I finally figured out what you meant after you and Rhodes told me that's what I was doing wrong but I never figure out how to get in that position till now. I'll show you tomorrow. Now the problem is that I'm just touching high. I'm sure Johnny will be talking a ton of shit and Jerry will be telling him to shut the fuck up, hahahahha.

boar
02-17-09, 11:22 am
&Hungry
That's the thing I fixed yesterday - shrugging my shoulders down rather than up. I finally figured out what you meant after you and Rhodes told me that's what I was doing wrong but I never figure out how to get in that position till now. I'll show you tomorrow. Now the problem is that I'm just touching high. I'm sure Johnny will be talking a ton of shit and Jerry will be telling him to shut the fuck up, hahahahha.

Johnny is a senile old man. He is a funny shit unreal that he can still pull almost 5 bills. Jerry always has something good to talk about and info worthwhile hearing.

Young&Hungry
02-17-09, 11:33 am
Johnny is a senile old man. He is a funny shit unreal that he can still pull almost 5 bills. Jerry always has something good to talk about and info worthwhile hearing.

Fred told me his most recent meet he pulled 550 for a raw WR in his age category? It's so weird because I've never seen him hit anything over like 315-335 on squat or dead for volume every time I've been there. Jerry's always pointing out little stuff on my technique that goes a long way, really smart dude.

boar
02-17-09, 11:39 am
&Hungry
Fred told me his most recent meet he pulled 550 for a raw WR in his age category? It's so weird because I've never seen him hit anything over like 315-335 on squat or dead for volume every time I've been there. Jerry's always pointing out little stuff on my technique that goes a long way, really smart dude.

SFW? Are you serious Johnny can barely bench 135 but he is the best puller out there and probably a good squatter.

Young&Hungry
02-17-09, 12:09 pm
&Hungry

SFW? Are you serious Johnny can barely bench 135 but he is the best puller out there and probably a good squatter.

Hahahaa of course, he's an ex-olympic lifter so he probably hates anything relating to the bench but has a sick squat and pull.

boar
02-17-09, 10:28 pm
we good for tomorrow kid?

Young&Hungry
02-18-09, 8:23 pm
Got sideswiped and spun out in some black ice on the way to Gold's so I couldn't make it to train with Nick. My phone's still broke so I couldn't let you know so I apologize Nick. Shit happens but I made it to train anyways. Gonna hold off skwaaaaating so I can wait for the new wraps to come in, wanna get a full training cycle in with them.

Cleans - warmups, 170x5, 190x5, 215x5 this set fucking killed me
High Pulls - 6x2 with 185 and 205
Inclined GHR - 60 total reps, took me five sets
45 Degree Hypers - 25 behind the head x 12, 35x10, 45x8, 35x8

Foam Roller Situps w/ Med Ball - 3 sets 15 reps
Hanging Leg Raises - 3 sets 15-20 reps
Pulldown Abs - 3 sets 10 reps

boar
02-18-09, 8:48 pm
Got sideswiped and spun out in some black ice on the way to Gold's so I couldn't make it to train with Nick. My phone's still broke so I couldn't let you know so I apologize Nick. Shit happens but I made it to train anyways. Gonna hold off skwaaaaating so I can wait for the new wraps to come in, wanna get a full training cycle in with them.

Looks like you hit a good training session carlos. No worries about not getting to golds I figured bc it was the weather. Glad u didn't get in an accident. I hit a big "deload" SSB squat.

dominate77
02-18-09, 8:51 pm
Good work man. Gotta hate sets of 5 for cleans though.

Quick question bro. We have to test maxes for football again in mid march. I just completed my first 5/3/1 wave (or as close as i could get) and had great results. My last set of 1 for bench i got 9 and my squat i got 8. My clean and incline i got 3. Now i think i could go 10-15 on bench pretty easily, 15-25 on squat, 10 clean, and 5-10 incline. Do you think it's smarter to go on the higher or lower end of these numbers? If i didn't have to max out in a month i wouldn't even question it, i'd just go on the lower end of it so i didn't miss reps too early but since it's so close, do you think it would make sense to go higher?

and before i max, would it be good to schedule a deload week or should i train heavier?

Young&Hungry
02-18-09, 8:55 pm
Good work man. Gotta hate sets of 5 for cleans though.

Quick question bro. We have to test maxes for football again in mid march. I just completed my first 5/3/1 wave (or as close as i could get) and had great results. My last set of 1 for bench i got 9 and my squat i got 8. My clean and incline i got 3. Now i think i could go 10-15 on bench pretty easily, 15-25 on squat, 10 clean, and 5-10 incline. Do you think it's smarter to go on the higher or lower end of these numbers? If i didn't have to max out in a month i wouldn't even question it, i'd just go on the lower end of it so i didn't miss reps too early but since it's so close, do you think it would make sense to go higher?

and before i max, would it be good to schedule a deload week or should i train heavier?

Yes, with that kind of rep success you can move up as you feel. You know your own body better than I do but just be a little conservative. I wouldn't recommend anything over a 20 pound jump however. You could either hit your final weeks in that wave, take a couple days off, and then max - or finish your final week, deload, and then max if time accomodates for it.

Young&Hungry
02-18-09, 9:00 pm
Looks like you hit a good training session carlos. No worries about not getting to golds I figured bc it was the weather. Glad u didn't get in an accident. I hit a big "deload" SSB squat.

We did get into an accident but nothing major at all, it was the other persons fault and there's little to no damage. Did you see America's hardest training gay couple or what?

dominate77
02-18-09, 9:03 pm
Yes, with that kind of rep success you can move up as you feel. You know your own body better than I do but just be a little conservative. I wouldn't recommend anything over a 20 pound jump however. You could either hit your final weeks in that wave, take a couple days off, and then max - or finish your final week, deload, and then max if time accomodates for it.

thanks man. Hoping for a really big max week

boar
02-18-09, 9:03 pm
No I did not see the ambigously gay duo. Fred back spotted me for my 700lb SSB squat though.

Young&Hungry
02-18-09, 9:06 pm
No I did not see the ambigously gay duo. Fred back spotted me for my 700lb SSB squat though.

HOW COULD I MISS THAT, WTF

prowrestler
02-18-09, 11:51 pm

nice stuff man, 215x5 is great

Young&Hungry
02-19-09, 9:10 pm
Standing Militaries - warmups, 120x5, 130x5, 140x6 easy
DB Floor Press (paused & palms in) - 65'sx15, 70'sx11, 70'sx10, 65'sx12
Chest Supported Row - 6 sets 15-10 reps with the 50's, 55's and 60's
Dips - 2x12, 2x10 these have really improved
Seated Hammer Curlz - 3 sets 10 with the 40's

30 minutes usual dreadmill setting

Good session today. Militaries went well, rest of the assistance stuff was good. Never too much to comment on this day. TunnelVision, I tried the Panora rows and I couldn't get the weight to clear the stack and begin the motion at all, so I don't know how the Westside guys get em done. I did the CSR's on the incline bench with dumbbells and it was a nice change but I'll stick to my t-bars, DB rows, chins, and pulldowns. Did the same cardio yadayada. It's mindfucking me but at least my weight's totally under control now. Skwaaaaating Saturday at Golds.

Young&Hungry
02-21-09, 6:37 pm
Friday - 45 minutes dreadmill, usual settng
Today - 30 minutes dreadmill usual setting, 30 minutes stepmill on level 10

Got about two hours of sleep so squatting was not in order today. I need this cycle to be my crispest yet so I'm not about to waste a training session. Gonna try to get up to Gold's tomorrow to get this session in.

prowrestler
02-21-09, 7:19 pm
sick militaryy pressin man

Young&Hungry
02-22-09, 5:24 pm
Pulled my groin doin cardio Thursday and really did a number on it today.

Squats - warmups, 325x5 nothing, 345x5 belt on, 365x7 PR belt and wraps
Tried doing some close stance oly squats but the groin wasn't having it
Romanian Deads off Platform - 205x12, 225 2x10, 245x10, 245x8
GHR's - 60 total reps

Leg Press Calf Raises - 5 sets, varying stance
Pulldown Abs - 5 sets 20-10 reps

Not a good day in Carlosville. Pulled the shit out of my groin warming up and it was basically an anchor that slowed me down for the rest of the workout. I did hit a rep PR on 365 but the last two reps were hideous so I guess it trades off even. Just did some easy assistance work to stay off the groin but it still was aggravated a bit. I get these kind of pulled muscles once in a while so it's not a big deal at all. I'll be just fine for cleans on Thursday. I have exams starting Thursday so training this week will probably be all strung out but I'll get my sessions in.

prowrestler
02-22-09, 5:38 pm
Pulled my groin doin cardio Thursday and really did a number on it today.

Squats - warmups, 325x5 nothing, 345x5 belt on, 365x7 PR belt and wraps
Tried doing some close stance oly squats but the groin wasn't having it
Romanian Deads off Platform - 205x12, 225 2x10, 245x10, 245x8
GHR's - 60 total reps

Leg Press Calf Raises - 5 sets, varying stance
Pulldown Abs - 5 sets 20-10 reps

Not a good day in Carlosville. Pulled the shit out of my groin warming up and it was basically an anchor that slowed me down for the rest of the workout. I did hit a rep PR on 365 but the last two reps were hideous so I guess it trades off even. Just did some easy assistance work to stay off the groin but it still was aggravated a bit. I get these kind of pulled muscles once in a while so it's not a big deal at all. I'll be just fine for cleans on Thursday. I have exams starting Thursday so training this week will probably be all strung out but I'll get my sessions in.

good work man

ice bath dude, helped me alot when i hurt it wrestling. 1st 12 mins are bad then its easy money

boar
02-22-09, 8:02 pm
squattin looks good kid. stretch that groin out does not sound too bad hope you did not lift through injury.

Im hittin my lower body session on wednesday. Like to try to get a session in.

dominate77
02-23-09, 12:29 am
nice squatting, you are one strong mother fucker man.

not sure if you've ever heard of DMSO, a lot of people are a opposed to using it on humans but the shit helps injuries really well and almost everything i've read says its safe. Helps my shoulder after i dislocate it and my hamstring after i pulled it within a few days, it could help your groin...but the garlic breath will make everyone hate you.

Young&Hungry
02-23-09, 5:38 pm
Bench - warmups, 210x3, 225x3, 235x5 probably a rep PR & best form to date
Inclines - 135x20, 155 2x12, 135x18
Lat Pulldowns - 5 sets 15-10 reps
Rolling DB Extentions - 45's 4x10

PWO - 6g EAA, 10g creatine mono, 4tbsps Gatorade powder

Nice session today, really worked on my bench form. That final set was one of my best looking sets to date. Got a nice, low touch this time and all I needed to do was dig into and flare my lats a little more. I was focusing on my touch and upper back placement so much that I didn't get much leg drive in there but I'll pick my battles for now. I've noticed such a huge difference in my bench already with just getting my upper back placement in check. Not a bad session for a low carb day. My weight is back around 196-197 so I'll probably be done with my diet manipulation by the first week of March so I can carb up and get ready to rock the 21st.

Post meet plans - for about two weeks I'm just gonna do a bunch of bodyweight, kettlebell, and conditioning shit. Track starts the Monday after the meet anyways. I've been training my balls off since my 14th birthday and have never taken a week off so my body will welcome the break. I'll still be training hard though, just not gonna do a ton of stuff with barbells and dumbbells. After the little respite I'm gonna get back to my Westside roots for just one month. I'll be training three days a week - one speed/RE day, an ME day, and events every Saturday in Waterbury. Yes Y&H will becoming a little bit of a strongman. I just need a change mentally because to be quite frank the monotony of the 5/3/1 is mindfucking me. I've had too much success with the system to put it away forever obviously so after this 6 week "oil change", back to 5/3/1 I go.

Young&Hungry
02-23-09, 5:42 pm
good work man

ice bath dude, helped me alot when i hurt it wrestling. 1st 12 mins are bad then its easy money

Took one last night actually, feels awesome today. Thanks for all the encouragement Pro, it means a lot.

squattin looks good kid. stretch that groin out does not sound too bad hope you did not lift through injury.

Im hittin my lower body session on wednesday. Like to try to get a session in.

I have exams all this week so a session's gonna be close to impossible man. Next week starts my new term so I'll have nothing in the sense of homework so we should get in at least two sessions then. My new 2.5 meter Convicts will be in by next week so we should get some skwaaaaating in next week to get used to your style of wrapping knees.

nice squatting, you are one strong mother fucker man.

not sure if you've ever heard of DMSO, a lot of people are a opposed to using it on humans but the shit helps injuries really well and almost everything i've read says its safe. Helps my shoulder after i dislocate it and my hamstring after i pulled it within a few days, it could help your groin...but the garlic breath will make everyone hate you.

Thanks a lot man, still got a long way to go. I'm a hit depth every time freak so I tend to lose a couple reps sometimes by getting deeper than I need to be. I've heard of DMSO before, right now I'm just using Biofreeze from my AT's office and it's doing the charm. I basically feel 100% today anyways, just gonna stretch the hell out of it tonight.

Little Houghton
02-23-09, 10:30 pm
Took one last night actually, feels awesome today. Thanks for all the encouragement Pro, it means a lot.

I have exams all this week so a session's gonna be close to impossible man. Next week starts my new term so I'll have nothing in the sense of homework so we should get in at least two sessions then. My new 2.5 meter Convicts will be in by next week so we should get some skwaaaaating in next week to get used to your style of wrapping knees.

Thanks a lot man, still got a long way to go. I'm a hit depth every time freak so I tend to lose a couple reps sometimes by getting deeper than I need to be. I've heard of DMSO before, right now I'm just using Biofreeze from my AT's office and it's doing the charm. I basically feel 100% today anyways, just gonna stretch the hell out of it tonight.

if you do decided to go the dmso route, which its pretty cool stuff and works great, watch yourself considering whats next to your groin haha, its not exactly comfortable to slather up your junk in ultra strength icy-hot...and if you do get it on there do NOT rinse it off with water lol.

Young&Hungry
02-23-09, 11:05 pm
if you do decided to go the dmso route, which its pretty cool stuff and works great, watch yourself considering whats next to your groin haha, its not exactly comfortable to slather up your junk in ultra strength icy-hot...and if you do get it on there do NOT rinse it off with water lol.

Unfortunately I've been in this situation freshman year before a football game with a Mineral Ice/Icy Hot/Biofreeze/Bengay cocktail. I broke four toes during the season but played on them anyways, so before games I used to lather up my feet just to get rid of the pain for a while. Went to go take a piss and BAD times ensued, hahahaha.

prowrestler
02-23-09, 11:15 pm
nice benching man

Little Houghton
02-23-09, 11:31 pm
Unfortunately I've been in this situation freshman year before a football game with a Mineral Ice/Icy Hot/Biofreeze/Bengay cocktail. I broke four toes during the season but played on them anyways, so before games I used to lather up my feet just to get rid of the pain for a while. Went to go take a piss and BAD times ensued, hahahaha.

hahaha! its a brutal trap! i had seen it happen before and i knew i shouldnt use water to try and rinse it, but when your shits on fire you dont think straight, you put fuckin water on it! haha. but the stuff im using now is just horse liniment from tractor supply and its amazing, i fucked my back up this morning and it already feels way better after a long day of rubbing that shit on all the time, i feel like im gonna be good to go for squatting thursday which i really was doubting by the time i left the gym this morning

boar
02-23-09, 11:33 pm
&Hungry
Bench - warmups, 210x3, 225x3, 235x5 probably a rep PR & best form to date
Inclines - 135x20, 155 2x12, 135x18
Lat Pulldowns - 5 sets 15-10 reps
Rolling DB Extentions - 45's 4x10

PWO - 6g EAA, 10g creatine mono, 4tbsps Gatorade powder

Nice session today, really worked on my bench form. That final set was one of my best looking sets to date. Got a nice, low touch this time and all I needed to do was dig into and flare my lats a little more. I was focusing on my touch and upper back placement so much that I didn't get much leg drive in there but I'll pick my battles for now. I've noticed such a huge difference in my bench already with just getting my upper back placement in check. Not a bad session for a low carb day. My weight is back around 196-197 so I'll probably be done with my diet manipulation by the first week of March so I can carb up and get ready to rock the 21st.

Post meet plans - for about two weeks I'm just gonna do a bunch of bodyweight, kettlebell, and conditioning shit. Track starts the Monday after the meet anyways. I've been training my balls off since my 14th birthday and have never taken a week off so my body will welcome the break. I'll still be training hard though, just not gonna do a ton of stuff with barbells and dumbbells. After the little respite I'm gonna get back to my Westside roots for just one month. I'll be training three days a week - one speed/RE day, an ME day, and events every Saturday in Waterbury. Yes Y&H will becoming a little bit of a strongman. I just need a change mentally because to be quite frank the monotony of the 5/3/1 is mindfucking me. I've had too much success with the system to put it away forever obviously so after this 6 week "oil change", back to 5/3/1 I go.

Back to westside. You can't fight your roots kid. I like that you will be making the weekly treck up to waterbury with me. MAybe I can convert you to the darkside of strongman.

Young&Hungry
02-24-09, 12:02 am
hahaha! its a brutal trap! i had seen it happen before and i knew i shouldnt use water to try and rinse it, but when your shits on fire you dont think straight, you put fuckin water on it! haha. but the stuff im using now is just horse liniment from tractor supply and its amazing, i fucked my back up this morning and it already feels way better after a long day of rubbing that shit on all the time, i feel like im gonna be good to go for squatting thursday which i really was doubting by the time i left the gym this morning

I'm assuming it's Blue Heat, which is essentially God's gift to powerlifters.

&Hungry

Back to westside. You can't fight your roots kid. I like that you will be making the weekly treck up to waterbury with me. MAybe I can convert you to the darkside of strongman.

Getting back to Westside and Strongman Saturdays are just like I said for a mental oil change for a month two. I am the biggest prick on this forum about sticking to a program so I feel a bit hypocritical but I've put in nearly 6 months on the 5/3/1. Although it is hands down the best weightlifting program I've ever done, it's just getting a little old only squatting, benching, cleaning, and strict pressing for months on end ya know. I just want to take a month or two and get back to the exercises I haven't done in a million years so I can get a fresh mindset once I move back to the 5/3/1. I have no idea how guys can do nothing but Sheiko and those types of programs for years. No doubt they're absolutely cock strong and those are incredible programs but mentally it's just monotonous.

About the Strongman conversion, I specifically switched to conventional to ease my transition into strongman later on you know.

boar
02-24-09, 5:17 pm
Your not a hypocrite dude. You need to change your routine and evolve as lifters. The 5/3/1 can get monotonous. After my first wave I liked it and adding in brief work afterwards was fun. Def helped with my raw squatting power. You have a plan which is good. As the famous Louie Simmons says, if you do not have a plan you plan to fail!

IF you are going to do events w/ the boar and the ct crew take atleast one day off between a session to event day. I sometimes even take 2 days off before events but my sched is sporatic so that does not always happen.

BTW, did some power cleans. Hit 225 ez. went for 255 and it got caught on my sternum. I finished off the clean bc you know my continental clean skillz. Also finished it off with a split jerk. Felt solid but w/ overhead events I am going to stick with the push press/jerk.

TunnelVision338
02-25-09, 12:53 am
Just stoppin by to say whats up.

What's your opinion on the Coan DL program?

Young&Hungry
02-25-09, 6:41 pm
Your not a hypocrite dude. You need to change your routine and evolve as lifters. The 5/3/1 can get monotonous. After my first wave I liked it and adding in brief work afterwards was fun. Def helped with my raw squatting power. You have a plan which is good. As the famous Louie Simmons says, if you do not have a plan you plan to fail!

IF you are going to do events w/ the boar and the ct crew take atleast one day off between a session to event day. I sometimes even take 2 days off before events but my sched is sporatic so that does not always happen.

BTW, did some power cleans. Hit 225 ez. went for 255 and it got caught on my sternum. I finished off the clean bc you know my continental clean skillz. Also finished it off with a split jerk. Felt solid but w/ overhead events I am going to stick with the push press/jerk.

Thanks for the props Nick. That program has and will be the best thing I've done for strength, just need a little oil change before I hop back on it that's all. Gotta stick with what works best you know. I'll hit a speed/RE session Monday, max effort Wednesday, and then events Saturday. I'll probably have to drop a little volume as well because I've ordered a Prowler to get my ass in shape. Are we still gonna do the meeting at the diner? Those cleans look good man, how are you catching the bar? I have a lofty goal of hitting a 275 split jerk sometime before summer considering I hit a piss easy 250 nearly 10 months ago. So sad that I can clean AND press not too far off what I bench. I need a huge PR at this meet.

Just stoppin by to say whats up.

What's your opinion on the Coan DL program?

How's shit going for ya man. Yes the Coan DL program kicks ass. In terms of the assistance work I'd rather do my lat work on bench day but with everything else do what the man says. He was stronger in loose, very shitty single ply in the 80's than 90% of guys today with monolifts and double ply for a reason so just shut up and listen to the man. Once I get a clue as to what my conventional pull is this is the exact first cycle I plan on doing.

Maharg
02-25-09, 8:19 pm
Solid shit as always Carlos. Very smart stuff.

Young&Hungry
02-26-09, 7:12 pm
I dedicated this training session to Mother Russia.

Cleans - warmups, 175x3, 205x3, 225x4 PR pressed it twice but the second one had an incomplete lockout
Olympic Front Skwaaats (clean grip) - 185x20, 205x12, 225 2x12
RDL's off Platform - warmup, 225 2x10, 245x8, 265x8 PR
Pulldown Abz - 5 sets 12-10 reps

Dreadmill like a fatass - 25 minutes normal setting

Really solid session today, that set of 225 on cleans was the best cleaning I've done all year. Had awesome hip thrust through the high hang transitional point. Kept it light-ish on the front skwaaats considering I haven't done them in a while. Rest of the workout was real solid, not a ton of volume but definitely got some awesome work in. Dreadmill on my birthday tomorrow, what a fucking present, and militaries Saturday.

prowrestler
02-26-09, 10:01 pm

Cleans - warmups, 175x3, 205x3, 225x4 PR pressed it twice but the second one had an incomplete lockout

Really solid session today, that set of 225 on cleans was the best cleaning I've done all year. Had awesome hip thrust through the high hang transitional point. Kept it light-ish on the front skwaaats considering I haven't done them in a while. Rest of the workout was real solid, not a ton of volume but definitely got some awesome work in. Dreadmill on my birthday tomorrow, what a fucking present, and militaries Saturday.

nice cleans man

what a bday present of lardio lol

Young&Hungry
02-26-09, 10:08 pm
nice cleans man

what a bday present of lardio lol

Two years ago when I was still a bodybuilder I had legs. Giant set of back squats, front squats, leg curls, and stiff legs and I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Especially the part where I hurled my guts out in the trash can.

prowrestler
02-26-09, 10:12 pm
Two years ago when I was still a bodybuilder I had legs. Giant set of back squats, front squats, leg curls, and stiff legs and I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Especially the part where I hurled my guts out in the trash can.

that was a really random responce LOL

sounds pretty brutal, never got into giant sets myself, drop sets caught me

Young&Hungry
02-26-09, 10:13 pm
that was a really random responce LOL

sounds pretty brutal, never got into giant sets myself, drop sets caught me

Hahahaa I meant as my birthday workout two years ago! Way to fail to make the connection.

prowrestler
02-26-09, 10:17 pm
Hahahaa I meant as my birthday workout two years ago! Way to fail to make the connection.

ohhh

i thought u ment u had legs as in " i had a pair of giant wheels on me" and no i dont kinda thing lol

boar
02-27-09, 1:02 pm

Cleans are pretty diesel. Happy bday bro you got one more year until you are of legal age.

When do those gaySAT classes end for you? I got midterms next week so gettin a session in on a weekday will prob not happen.

dominate77
02-27-09, 11:20 pm
happy birthday bro