PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt there more hype for fish oil in bodybuilding?

redskin 344
11-28-08, 10:40 pm
I was just wondering why there isnt much hype for fish oil and the EPA/DHA of fish oil when it comes to building muscle? Its too good to be true.

We already know the remarkable benfits it provides for the entire body but for muscle building it creates better nutitional partitioning via inreased insulin sensitivity on the muscles so more of the calories you consume go to your muscles and less to your fat (starving the fat...feeding the muscle!) and also from what Ive read, DOUBLE the protein in your body is synthesized to repair muscle from the inreased muscle sensitivity...DOUBLE!

Shouldnt fish oil be a staple supplement for bodybuilders? The benefits it provides for bodybuilding is amazing and makes the process of muscle building faster and easier.

By the way please correct me if Im wrong on any of the facts I posted. All of it is based on reasearch I have done on google..

violator
11-28-08, 11:45 pm
Bro....many, many animals use it as a staple....its just not got a big name brand behind it...
i agree with all uve said.....shits ESSENTIAL....i wouldnt be as far without it.....
for a great article & a great EFA product, check out.....

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=405

Carpe Diem P.T
11-29-08, 7:36 am
oh theres hype. you just havent looked in the right places for it.

redskin 344
11-29-08, 1:17 pm
I mean it just seems to me that EPA/DHA have a bigger word on cutting and staying lean than building muscle and strength. Increasing insulin sensitivity on the muscles so more nutrients and calories get fed to the muscles and less to the fat seems kind of like a breakthrough in bodybuilding, dont u think? Also having DOUBLE the protein being used by the muscles to help repair them seems like a fucking miracle. I mean does this mean that we dont need to eat as muscle protein or calories or am I just talking crazy?

I have a friend that is a bodybuilder and actually stopped taking fish oil because he thought the anti inflammatory effect it provided would hinder the recovery process of the muscles because the muscles need some inflammation for growth... Honestly I think hes an idiot for doing so.
The anti inflammation effect would expedite the recovery process, wouldnt it?

naturalguy
11-29-08, 3:12 pm
I have a friend that is a bodybuilder and actually stopped taking fish oil because he thought the anti inflammatory effect it provided would hinder the recovery process of the muscles because the muscles need some inflammation for growth... Honestly I think hes an idiot for doing so.
The anti inflammation effect would expedite the recovery process, wouldnt it?

Your friend is not entirely wrong however he is taking things out of context. Too much anti inflammatory is not good, it is true that inflammation is part of the muscle building process. That does not mean that one should not take fish oil, just don't mega dose on it.

redskin 344
11-29-08, 3:31 pm
Im taking 4 concentrated fish oil caps daily which contain 1200mg of EPA and 800mg of DHA. Is that a good amount for bodybuilding?

Again...Im still confused to why most people see fish oil as more of a cutting and staying lean supplement than an anabolic supp. I mean your muscles are more sentitive to the most or one of the most anabolic hormones, insulin... how is that not a breakthrough in the bodybuilding community?? lol

redskin 344
11-29-08, 4:12 pm
Plus EPA prevent muscle loss when catabolism would occur, such as times in starvation.

Big3
11-29-08, 4:46 pm
fish oil is not hyped in bodybuilding because it's not a flashy supplement. How can marketers hype up fish oil? It's boring and is skipped by most beginners... people like flashy advertisements and hyped up products. Can't create an ad for fish oil that it is 600% better than anabolics, 3,000% increased NO productions than AAKG, or produces 7lbs in 7 days(......). Fish oil is just a staple supp, therefore, not garnering much attention.

redskin 344
11-29-08, 6:06 pm
fish oil is not hyped in bodybuilding because it's not a flashy supplement. How can marketers hype up fish oil? It's boring and is skipped by most beginners... people like flashy advertisements and hyped up products. Can't create an ad for fish oil that it is 600% better than anabolics, 3,000% increased NO productions than AAKG, or produces 7lbs in 7 days(......). Fish oil is just a staple supp, therefore, not garnering much attention.

yea thats true

rayzer27
11-29-08, 7:08 pm
yea thats true

yo bro noticed u live in mahwah..im 10 minutes away in suffern

redskin 344
11-29-08, 7:46 pm
yo bro noticed u live in mahwah..im 10 minutes away in suffern

O really lol

I drive there once in a while for mosque. Its crazy because I visited Toronto University all the way up in canada (and I used to live in toronto and have citizenship in canada but moved to NJ cuz canada sucks) for a tour of the school and there was this other high school senior my age who lives in Glen Rock... what the fuck are the odds lol

MojoMike36
11-29-08, 9:14 pm
Simple response.

We take it for so long you forget what life was like it before it therefor you don't notice. Props to fish oil.

redskin 344
11-29-08, 9:41 pm
Simple response.

We take it for so long you forget what life was like it before it therefor you don't notice. Props to fish oil.

Wait lol dude I thought that westerers LACKED the omega 3 fatty acids in their diet due to all the processed crap we are fed. Now the ration of omega 6 to omega 3 is like 40:1 or maybe more.

I mean back in the day when our ancestors were cavemen, there was a much much higher concentration of omega 3 in their diets from hunting down and eating raw animals where they would crack open the skulls and bone marrow which contained all fat especcially omega 3. The brain in particular is rich in DHA because DHA compises the structure of the brain.

rayzer27
11-30-08, 4:58 pm
O really lol

I drive there once in a while for mosque. Its crazy because I visited Toronto University all the way up in canada (and I used to live in toronto and have citizenship in canada but moved to NJ cuz canada sucks) for a tour of the school and there was this other high school senior my age who lives in Glen Rock... what the fuck are the odds lol

small world bro

born0withno0soul
11-30-08, 5:14 pm
its actaully becoming a big deal. i read about it everywhere. i even read an article on msnbc about the fact that are good fats that promote weight loss and heart health. it was a shock that the fact was admitted

Joseb
11-30-08, 5:19 pm
bro MAHWAH?
vinny lives there..
i live in tenafly!

there doesnt need to be "Hype"
not many serious lifters bother checking out the flashy advertisements.. Ox is all about the EFAs and there are many diet philosophies BASED around the benefits from fats.

redskin 344
11-30-08, 9:41 pm
bro MAHWAH?
vinny lives there..
i live in tenafly!

there doesnt need to be "Hype"
not many serious lifters bother checking out the flashy advertisements.. Ox is all about the EFAs and there are many diet philosophies BASED around the benefits from fats.

Damn vinny (whoever he is) lives in Mahwah?!
lol my bad. Im guessing hes a part of this site right?

For the fish oil part... I mean.. EPA which is an omega 3 fatty acid from fish oil is found in every single or almost every single cell membrane in every cell in the human body. This means better waste exchanges and controlling of what enters and exits the cells. And this means more insulin sensitivity for muscle cells from glucose so more calories get to the muscles and less to the fat. Correct me if im wrong but INSULIN is on your side..the MOTHER of anabolic hormones is on your side.

And for some reason, theres much more hype about fish oil being a WEIGHTLOSS supplement...bullshit.

Aggression
12-01-08, 12:16 pm
There's been a lot of good hype concerning EFA's. I just recently came across it myself though. Just ran through my first can of Omega and I've definitely seen some good results. I've also added in some healthy fats into my diet this time around. I'm fuller and as strong, if not stronger, than I was when I was ten pounds heavier.

GJN5002
12-01-08, 2:43 pm
I think there is a lot of hype around it, but because its not a miracle 'put 20 lbs of lean muscle bullshit' it isnt a sexy supplement. Plus it hard ot make money off something you can buy in plain old bulk form for cheap.

Aggression
12-01-08, 2:48 pm
I think there is a lot of hype around it, but because its not a miracle 'put 20 lbs of lean muscle bullshit' it isnt a sexy supplement. Plus it hard ot make money off something you can buy in plain old bulk form for cheap.

Good point. Only those products that make those claims get the hype, which always turns out to be crap anyway. A lot of times people ask me what supplements I take, and I tell them that I use universal nutrition. More than half the time they respond with ''i've never heard of that company''. I usually just tell them that its because they don't boast superhuman gains from taking a wonder-pill 2x/day. That's why I love universal. Only the true, dedicated lifter knows how good Universal really is. Omega has been around for a while now, and I love this product. But the average weekend warrior would look at it and say "WTF?, EFA's can't get me huge!", and they move on to "X" product that says "so and so gained 50lbs of muscle in 10months!!"

panzerwagen
12-01-08, 4:10 pm
Damn vinny (whoever he is) lives in Mahwah?!
lol my bad. Im guessing hes a part of this site right?

Vinny Galianti is a pro bodybuilder and a highly respected member of the FORVM. Here's alink to his Q & A thread: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=9660&highlight=vinny

Good point. Only those products that make those claims get the hype, which always turns out to be crap anyway. A lot of times people ask me what supplements I take, and I tell them that I use universal nutrition. More than half the time they respond with ''i've never heard of that company''. I usually just tell them that its because they don't boast superhuman gains from taking a wonder-pill 2x/day. That's why I love universal. Only the true, dedicated lifter knows how good Universal really is. Omega has been around for a while now, and I love this product. But the average weekend warrior would look at it and say "WTF?, EFA's can't get me huge!", and they move on to "X" product that says "so and so gained 50lbs of muscle in 10months!!"

Hehe! Good point! The flashy shit is what most people tend to see. Universal is the greatest!

I've been taking Omega 3 fish-oil for years, probably ever since I started lifting pretty seriously. I don't even know how things would be if I didn't take it.

Aggression
12-01-08, 4:16 pm
Hehe! Good point! The flashy shit is what most people tend to see. Universal is the greatest!

I've been taking Omega 3 fish-oil for years, probably ever since I started lifting pretty seriously. I don't even know how things would be if I didn't take it.

What really opened my eyes was that I never used an EFA supplement before. Last month I decided to pick up a can after reading a bunch of articles on this site. And honestly, it's the only thing I've done differently, other than eat a shit-ton of food to bulk back up. Now that I've seen what it can do, I won't stop using this stuff!

Cellerator65
12-01-08, 4:17 pm
fish oil burps are the worst

Aggression
12-01-08, 4:22 pm
fish oil burps are the worst

Have you taken Omega yet? Absolutely no fish burps AT ALL. Ask anyone else. This surprised me too, as I've infrequently taken fish caps bought from the grocery store with nasty burps.

Cellerator65
12-01-08, 4:25 pm
i take both atm, finishing off my supply of omega 3s and taking animal omega

redskin 344
12-01-08, 5:08 pm
I think we need to be more sepcific and into detail when we say EFA though. I mean I know its said that EFAs are found in every healthy cell in the human body and they inrease insulin sensitivity, but thats mainly the EPA at work. The EPA is the efa that is found in every cell membrane to improve the cells and health and increase the insulin sensitivity.

I keep hearing that flax seed oil does all this but how can it if the ALA has to be converted to EPA snd DHA which are the REAL wonders of having Omega 3s. These are the true fatty acids that give u all the benefits of having EFAs.

I dont see all the hype towards flax seed oil when fish oil is the real deal.. ALA sucks unless u want a variety of fats in your diet

IronWilson
12-01-08, 11:54 pm

Exactly... Once Muscletech starts advertising that Dexter Jackson used Muscletech's "FishOilKic" in his 2009 Olympia prep, and gained 7 pounds in a week off of it, all of the newbies will be Fish Oil.

...Sad but true...

simpleguy
12-02-08, 4:40 am
Exactly... Once Muscletech starts advertising that Dexter Jackson used Muscletech's "FishOilKic" in his 2009 Olympia prep, and gained 7 pounds in a week off of it, all of the newbies will be Fish Oil.
...Sad but true...

LOL, that was funny... you mean I can gain up to 6.34 lb of muscle in 3 weeks whilst decreasing bodyfat by up to 2.45%?

Universal Rep
12-02-08, 10:14 am

x2. To me, it's kinda like liver tabs. Liver tabs are old school and def not flashy. Yet Uni-Liver is a regular and core part of my supplement program, along with Animal Omega for the EFAs... Two staples.

Check out this article written by Ox himself. He's an IFBB pro that knows the value of EFA supplementation: http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=401

redskin 344
12-02-08, 4:09 pm
I think we need to be more sepcific and into detail when we say EFA though. I mean I know its said that EFAs are found in every healthy cell in the human body and they inrease insulin sensitivity, but thats mainly the EPA at work. The EPA is the efa that is found in every cell membrane to improve the cells and health and increase the insulin sensitivity.

I keep hearing that flax seed oil does all this but how can it if the ALA has to be converted to EPA snd DHA which are the REAL wonders of having Omega 3s. These are the true fatty acids that give u all the benefits of having EFAs.

I dont see all the hype towards flax seed oil when fish oil is the real deal.. ALA sucks unless u want a variety of fats in your diet

Just wanted people to read this post I wrote. I dont think anyone really saw it and its beens something on my mind. And I dont understand why i keep seeing articles about EFA and that include olive oil and flax seed oil with fish oil liek theyre all the same...theyre not...olive oil and flax seed oil donot even compare to the great benefits of fish oil. EPA and DHA are what EFAs are all about and fish oil is the only substance that actually has them..along with seeweed i guess. flax seed is shit.

Universal Rep
12-02-08, 4:24 pm

It's true, conversion is required with the FA in flaxseed oil to get to EPA. However, IMHO, the point of supplementing with EFAs are not just to get one specific FA, but rather, a broad spectrum of them from different sources. Flaxseed oil, like every oil that provides EFAs, has unique properties. Taking flaxseed oil is not just about getting ALA... It's about balance and range. No one would ever advocate taking whey protein as your sole source for daily protein--so why ignore flaxseed oil? What I like about Animal Omega is that it has both vegetable and fish-based oils that provide a range of EFAs.

redskin 344
12-02-08, 5:37 pm
It's true, conversion is required with the FA in flaxseed oil to get to EPA. However, IMHO, the point of supplementing with EFAs are not just to get one specific FA, but rather, a broad spectrum of them from different sources. Flaxseed oil, like every oil that provides EFAs, has unique properties. Taking flaxseed oil is not just about getting ALA... It's about balance and range. No one would ever advocate taking whey protein as your sole source for daily protein--so why ignore flaxseed oil? What I like about Animal Omega is that it has both vegetable and fish-based oils that provide a range of EFAs.

Yea you make a really good point because flax seed oil contains high omega 3s to help balance out the n3:n6 ratio. IMO that would probably be the only reason to take flax seed oil. Other than that, all the great benefits we see from EFAs like healthier cells, anti-inflammation and insulin sensitivity and a better mind are all properties that EPA and DHA hold. They are the absolute best fatty acids. But to get a high variety of omega 3s flax seeds would be the way to go.

Joseb
12-02-08, 7:15 pm
Yea you make a really good point because flax seed oil contains high omega 3s to help balance out the n3:n6 ratio. IMO that would probably be the only reason to take flax seed oil. Other than that, all the great benefits we see from EFAs like healthier cells, anti-inflammation and insulin sensitivity and a better mind are all properties that EPA and DHA hold. They are the absolute best fatty acids. But to get a high variety of omega 3s flax seeds would be the way to go.

so does fish oil [with the omega 3's]
alot of people like to get their flax seed oil from actual milled flax seeds.. for the fiber and fat benefits. Its still good to have fats in your diet.. even if they dont have "miracle effects" on your body. Olive oil is pretty shitty for getting EFA's, but it goes down easy and can be used to up your fat intake convieniently.
they arent "shit", just used differently

Wasteland
12-03-08, 9:48 am
It seems so many latch on to the notion of fish oils. Everything has a pro and a con. There are certain advantages that individual fish oils provide and certain disadvantages. The same could be said for flaxseed oil, or borage oil, or whatever. The point is, you should aim for a well-rounded source of essential fats, for general applications. Flaxseed oil can be high in lignans, for example, which are powerful antioxidants. Yes, EPA/DHA found in fish oils have tremendous benefits. But that doesn't make fish oil categorically superior to plant-based oils. So unless you are using a specific source of EFA for a specific nutritional or dietary goal, better to go with a broad ranging product in my opinion. I use Animal Omega and it suits me just fine.

Aggression
12-03-08, 12:10 pm
I'm on my second can of Animal Omega and I'm liking it. It's the only time I've taken an EFA supplement. Now its going to be a staple in my supplement regime.