PDA

View Full Version : I'm O.K., you're O.K.

Tiny
11-30-08, 3:47 pm
Alright, folks, not usually an outwardly warm, fuzzy feelings type guy, but I've seen some posts about "this guy stared at me or laughed at me for eating a can of tuna in public" or "I hate fat people" or "I hate seeing _______ in the gym" or "why do people waste their time in the gym", etc., etc. Hey, whatever happened to "live and let live"? And, yeah, sometimes to some extent I am sure I am guilty as well as the next person but if it's meant tongue in cheek, that's a whole different angle, and if you know me at all then you know a lot of smart assed shit I say is meant tongue in cheek. Don't forget a few sayings: Everything is not for Everybody, and Don't worry about the next man, worry about You. If indeed someone belittles you or something you value, let that shit slide and now that you didn't like it, try extending some understanding to the next person so you don't go and do to someone else what you don't like being done to you. As far as "fat" people go - who draws the line and determines what "fat" is? Furthermore, if you think you're fat and you don't like it, then get your chubby ass on a treadmill and devise yourself a plan to change your body but it isn't up to you to decide for someone else that they should hate themselves or their body based on your assessment. Wanna cry 'cause people stare at you? Well if you really perceive that's happening and it disturbs you then don't stare at some really super short person you see in Walmart or some really big person out minding their own business or the person who walks a bit differently than most of us because one of their legs is shorter than the other or whatever shit. As far as in the gym, guys are gonna be guys, and men in general have surprisingly frail egos and delicate self-esteem (not all but most). I can lumber around at 300 pounds and i have had some really stupid shit said to me (and I am guilty of saying stupid shit back sometimes) and I have had complimentary shit said to me, and people are always wanting to touch me, squeeze my arm, etc. Shit, in the diner just last weekend a couple of senior ladies wanted to approach and engage me in conversation about my body as I sat eating a ton of food at the counter - they were standing around waiting for a table and I was actively engaged in eating breakfast. They were indeed interrupting me BUT guarenteed they never considered it that way, so for me it is mandatory to be polite and charming and receptive because they may very well never see in person another guy like me or engage one in conversation, so I gotta represent. Anyway, one way or another, you move through the world and interaction happens - try to be understanding and be an example and not a stereotype. Take the high road. Be nice to people, even if that in itself makes you stand out - it is worthwhile and it matters.
And, having said that, it's back to being my usual bastard self.

simpleguy
11-30-08, 3:51 pm
good post Tiny, fully agreed...

prowrestler
11-30-08, 3:54 pm
Alright, folks, not usually an outwardly warm, fuzzy feelings type guy, but I've seen some posts about "this guy stared at me or laughed at me for eating a can of tuna in public" or "I hate fat people" or "I hate seeing _______ in the gym" or "why do people waste their time in the gym", etc., etc. Hey, whatever happened to "live and let live"? And, yeah, sometimes to some extent I am sure I am guilty as well as the next person but if it's meant tongue in cheek, that's a whole different angle, and if you know me at all then you know a lot of smart assed shit I say is meant tongue in cheek. Don't forget a few sayings: Everything is not for Everybody, and Don't worry about the next man, worry about You. If indeed someone belittles you or something you value, let that shit slide and now that you didn't like it, try extending some understanding to the next person so you don't go and do to someone else what you don't like being done to you. As far as "fat" people go - who draws the line and determines what "fat" is? Furthermore, if you think you're fat and you don't like it, then get your chubby ass on a treadmill and devise yourself a plan to change your body but it isn't up to you to decide for someone else that they should hate themselves or their body based on your assessment. Wanna cry 'cause people stare at you? Well if you really perceive that's happening and it disturbs you then don't stare at some really super short person you see in Walmart or some really big person out minding their own business or the person who walks a bit differently than most of us because one of their legs is shorter than the other or whatever shit. As far as in the gym, guys are gonna be guys, and men in general have surprisingly frail egos and delicate self-esteem (not all but most). I can lumber around at 300 pounds and i have had some really stupid shit said to me (and I am guilty of saying stupid shit back sometimes) and I have had complimentary shit said to me, and people are always wanting to touch me, squeeze my arm, etc. Shit, in the diner just last weekend a couple of senior ladies wanted to approach and engage me in conversation about my body as I sat eating a ton of food at the counter - they were standing around waiting for a table and I was actively engaged in eating breakfast. They were indeed interrupting me BUT guarenteed they never considered it that way, so for me it is mandatory to be polite and charming and receptive because they may very well never see in person another guy like me or engage one in conversation, so I gotta represent. Anyway, one way or another, you move through the world and interaction happens - try to be understanding and be an example and not a stereotype. Take the high road. Be nice to people, even if that in itself makes you stand out - it is worthwhile and it matters.

HELLL YA!

Mr. Dead
11-30-08, 3:55 pm
Some definite food for thought, and I fully agree, as well...

sanga
11-30-08, 3:59 pm
Good thread Tiny.

I have to hate the guy who insists in doing barbell curls in the squat rack though, lol

prowrestler
11-30-08, 4:04 pm
Good thread Tiny.

I have to hate the guy who insists in doing barbell curls in the squat rack though, lol

leave me alone!!!

lol, not really, i agree

InkdMuscle
12-01-08, 11:13 am
Nice Tiny. Being humble and a giant sets us a part from the rest.

Nightshift
12-01-08, 11:20 am
Amen Brother!!! Nicely said!

Hoomgar
12-01-08, 1:24 pm
eh, you're still a dickhead...

LOL! You know I jest bro :D

Good post big guy, right on the money! Be an exception by being the example!

Hg

Tiny
12-01-08, 5:44 pm
eh, you're still a dickhead...

LOL! You know I jest bro :D

Good post big guy, right on the money! Be an exception by being the example!

Hg

And see? I have been contemplating it and was on the very verge of dropping the "I am a Dickhead" sig in favor of something cooler like, "I will not tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death." But now . . . (sniff) . . . guess I'm still just a dickhead.

Elite
12-01-08, 5:45 pm
Good post Tiny.

The essence of the game is to keep your head down and get on with it. Fine if your getting it in the face and action is needed, but dont be a hypocrite and condemn others who cause you no harm and do no wrong with whatever they choose to do, even if it seems odd, its there life as this is ours.

Funny how subconciously you realise you do cast judgement and ridicule over those who go against the grain, be it in/voluntarily, when really its none of our damn buisness. I myself could heed a word or two spoken here, if i look back on my own private thoughts and judgements. Life lessons can be learned by having an open unbiased outlook and taking all things into account, or they can smack you square in the face before the message comes home.

I guess the quote by Machine, that i carry in my sig, pretty well sums up the topic.

andrewT
12-01-08, 7:01 pm
Amen brotha,

This we do for ourselves ( or maybe some of you do it for other people that matter greatly to you such as a loved one) so it doesn't matter what people think or do. Do what you do, and people will respect you as long as you respect them for what they do. respect is mutual and goes both ways (although lots of people dont understand that these days, but who says we gotta be one of those people?) so make sure you hold up your end of the deal and hopefully the other persons holds their's as well!

Iceiktitan
12-01-08, 7:05 pm
Nice post. Well said brother.

Giant Killer
12-01-08, 7:06 pm
Great posting Tiny.

LET'S LIVE.

Tiny
12-01-08, 10:04 pm
Amen brotha,

This we do for ourselves ( or maybe some of you do it for other people that matter greatly to you such as a loved one) so it doesn't matter what people think or do. Do what you do, and people will respect you as long as you respect them for what they do. respect is mutual and goes both ways (although lots of people dont understand that these days, but who says we gotta be one of those people?) so make sure you hold up your end of the deal and hopefully the other persons holds their's as well!

You got that right, young bro. A whole lot of people in our world today don't know a thing about respect - they know it is a word and they want "it" but fail to understand that if respect is not earned than it means little; and then there is the saying "you gotta give respect to get respect." So much is slowly dying out, so much of what truly made us all great. When you look back at the men and women who suffered the great depression without casting aside their dignity and morals - didn't resort to stealing or shit like that; and when you consider how powerful the character of those who lived through WWI or WWII; even just considering the great craftmanship of the time and the pride people took in their work . . . then look at the world we live in today. Today so much is all about immediate gratification - I just don't know. But what we do is hard, and we chose it, we take it on, we embrace the challenge, and that should carry over into other aspects of our lives as well, not just in the gym. It's about work ethic, it's about perseverence, it's about respect, self-respect, respect for that which is earned, and it is also about building strength, strong shoulders but also strong character. And if individually we cannot at times shoulder the burden and say "okay, I can allow that, I can suck that up because I got the broad back and big shoulders, and more importantly, I got the heart" - if we can't take that higher road and we can't turn a litle more to the side so another might pass more easily, then what is it worth and where truly is the strength in it? You lead by example; anyone can talk. Why is it easier to make an enemy than a friend? Why is it easier to start a fight than to peacefully diffuse one? Sometimes it might be worthwhile to bear these things in mind - in my mind as well as your minds - and it could be we might all be better for it.

Cellerator65
12-01-08, 10:12 pm
I aint gonna powder your nuts tiny, but live and let live is the bottom line. Just let that shit roll off

B Con
12-01-08, 10:14 pm
Tiny I must say after reading this, I need to start frequenting your thread more. I couldn't agree more.

ionicrod
12-02-08, 12:34 pm

aww, they thought you were cute.

andrewT
12-02-08, 12:44 pm
You got that right, young bro. A whole lot of people in our world today don't know a thing about respect - they know it is a word and they want "it" but fail to understand that if respect is not earned than it means little; and then there is the saying "you gotta give respect to get respect." So much is slowly dying out, so much of what truly made us all great. When you look back at the men and women who suffered the great depression without casting aside their dignity and morals - didn't resort to stealing or shit like that; and when you consider how powerful the character of those who lived through WWI or WWII; even just considering the great craftmanship of the time and the pride people took in their work . . . then look at the world we live in today. Today so much is all about immediate gratification - I just don't know. But what we do is hard, and we chose it, we take it on, we embrace the challenge, and that should carry over into other aspects of our lives as well, not just in the gym. It's about work ethic, it's about perseverence, it's about respect, self-respect, respect for that which is earned, and it is also about building strength, strong shoulders but also strong character. And if individually we cannot at times shoulder the burden and say "okay, I can allow that, I can suck that up because I got the broad back and big shoulders, and more importantly, I got the heart" - if we can't take that higher road and we can't turn a litle more to the side so another might pass more easily, then what is it worth and where truly is the strength in it? You lead by example; anyone can talk. Why is it easier to make an enemy than a friend? Why is it easier to start a fight than to peacefully diffuse one? Sometimes it might be worthwhile to bear these things in mind - in my mind as well as your minds - and it could be we might all be better for it.

On the money, spoken like a true man!

Hoomgar
12-02-08, 1:59 pm
And see? I have been contemplating it and was on the very verge of dropping the "I am a Dickhead" sig in favor of something cooler like, "I will not tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death." But now . . . (sniff) . . . guess I'm still just a dickhead.

Jokes aside, you know my vote bro, I told you in your thread. I believe in self respect too. We've all screwed the pooch a time or two. It's what we do after we've blown it that separates the champions from the wieners. You are NOT a dickhead. I actually hate that sig line :) It doesn't fit the man who is doing the signing. Just my 2 cents, keep the change.

Much respect...

Hg