PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroo: The weight-loss meat

Carpe Diem P.T
11-30-08, 6:05 pm
For health and weight loss

Kangaroo meat is lean, low in saturated fat and provides Omega 3 fats and all the essential amino acids necessary for wound repair and cellular growth. It's also a great source of iron and zinc. For instance, a 150g piece of cooked kangaroo equates to 6.3g of iron and 5.4g of zinc. The recommended daily intake (RDI) of iron is 12g and zinc is 8g.

Kangaroo meat is one of the best sources of protein available, with the average cut yielding over 98% of total energy from protein and less than 2% of energy from fat. Compared to a lamb steak that's 33% more pure protein and the same amount less saturated fat. It also contains 25% more iron than lamb and similar amounts of zinc.

Studies have shown that Aborigines returning to a traditional diet, rich in kangaroo meat and plant foods displayed dramatic improvements in diabetes and other risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. These studies further showed that 40% of the fat in kangaroo meat consisted of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) molecules which are believed to improve blood flow, reduce the blood's tendency to clot, and thereby reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. Kangaroo is the closest meat to the meat our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate. The animals are reared in their natural habitat with extensive areas to exercise on, hence the kangaroo's low saturated fat content. They eat their native diet and exercise far more than their domesticated relatives.

We can learn a lot from this — when we eat a natural seasonal diet and exercise regularly we are much leaner and healthier too.

Ethical eating
Some people worry about killing kangaroos, but in fact it's a carefully governed industry where the government sets a sustainable quota to be culled each year based on the current population and seasonable conditions. It's a win-win situation, as without the annual culling of around 15-20%, kangaroos would become a pest to the environment.

It's ironic that some people think it's cruel to kill kangaroo but will happily chow down on steak and cutlets from cows and sheep reared for the sole purpose of being fattened up for slaughter. The kangaroo does not suffer the stress of live trucking and abattoirs; instead they live freely in the wild until they are killed instantly by professional shooters.

Cost
One of the great things about kangaroo, especially in a downturn economy, is the price. At $18.69 a kilo compared with $30.00 for beef and $23.00 a kilo for lamb, it's an inexpensive and healthier alternative.

Cooking tips
When you're cooking kangaroo meat, don't salt it beforehand. With less fat it can be dry and adding salt will draw out natural moisture making it even drier. Instead, you can use soy sauce or tamari, or add salty flavours such as capers.

The best cuts to buy include strip loin, fillet and rump. To cook it, heat a saucepan and add a small amount of oil. Macadamia is good as it has a high smoke point. Cook each side for 3-5 minutes then cover the pan with foil and rest for 5 minutes. Slice it across the grain and serve with a whole lot of veggies.

ref: http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=672709

ironshaolin
11-30-08, 7:01 pm
That sounds awesome, unfortunately I don't think they have roo meat here in new york. I love trying to meats though, I'm a firm believer in the paleolithic diet. Eat things we've eaten for the longest time, meats, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, and thats it.

Cstlfx
11-30-08, 7:03 pm
This is only in Australia right? Or other countries near by? That really sucks beef costs that much for you.

Sounds like Kangaroo is like our deer or buffalo. Is there a place on line I could order some and have it shipped that wont cost an arm and a leg?

Thetasteofink69
12-01-08, 1:37 am
I've never heard of this before.. To be honest it sounds a little fucked up to me.. I know, cows and pigs and shit isn't much better.. But kangaroos just seem to push it too far for me..

Plus it got me kind of interested, so I googled it.. It came up with this site, if anyone is really interested in continued reading

http://www.kangaroo-protection-coalition.com/eatkangaroomeat.html

vizzorz
12-01-08, 1:53 am
I eat it all the time, good stuff, i had some just 5 minutes ago haha

and extremely cheap =D

Carpe Diem P.T
12-01-08, 5:30 am
I've never heard of this before.. To be honest it sounds a little fucked up to me.. I know, cows and pigs and shit isn't much better.. But kangaroos just seem to push it too far for me..

Plus it got me kind of interested, so I googled it.. It came up with this site, if anyone is really interested in continued reading

http://www.kangaroo-protection-coalition.com/eatkangaroomeat.html

look up any meat and you will come across the same horror stories. If i thought about half of what i eat and where it came from, i doubt i would be able to eat it.

"They are hung on the side of truck, and gutted. Then they driven around the dusty paddocks, and at daybreak they are taken to a chiller box, maybe many kilometers away."

"The Industry buys the rejected chiller boxes and stores kangaroo bodies in them, sometimes for up to two weeks, sometimes longer if the pickup truck is broken down or delayed."

I tend not to trust people that have the words MAYBE and SOMETIMES in there expose'.

simpleguy
12-01-08, 6:34 am
I wish I lived in Australia then :)

I never heard of that in my country, and even if I were to find it, it would probably be really expensive... thx for sharing though... btw, have you eaten kangaroo meat? is it easy to find it in stores there? just wondering

JUGGERNAUT
12-01-08, 3:19 pm
Sounds tasty...........