PDA

View Full Version : Basketcase's Attempt to Break the Cycle.

basketcase
11-30-08, 6:21 pm
This is a long post…I’ve got more baggage than the air-line industry during the Holidays. For those who take the time to read it, much appreciated. For those who take the time to reply and follow along, GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Basketcase’s Attempt To Break The Cycle

The purpose of this “Journey”:
For feedback. For guidance. For a kick in the ass. To keep me in check. I’m looking for those who have been there and done that, or for those who are doing it. Primary goal is to cut, I have entirely way too much fat, I lost ~60lb earlier this year, but took 3 months off, and now you’d look at me and really wonder if I did lose 60lb. I lost a lot of the muscle and replaced it with fat. It’s funny, what I did in 6 months was easily erased in 3.

The meaning behind the title:
My life has a way of repeating itself. Almost cyclical, going around and around, and certain times almost like ‘déjà vu’, like “I’ve been here before”. It isn’t a good thing. I have a way of self-destructing. I have never completed anything in my life, it has been easy for me to give up or just not try at all. Up until this year my motto was “you can’t fail if you don’t try”. At this point in my life, I need to break the cycle, or make a new one.

Some History or Why am I here:
I’ve always been the fat kid. My weight never bothered me as much as it seemed to bother others, but it has definitely held me back in my life and I don’t want it to be a reason why I can’t do something anymore. I recently up and moved out of state (from CO to CA), left family, friends and not a horrible life for something better. And it has been. I’m in the best place I could be right now, and professionally, I’m doing GREAT. Personally, I’m better than I was in CO, but I’m still fat. It’s the only thing left.

I walked into a store and saw myself on the little CCTV, and I thought to myself “wow, that’s how everyone sees me?” and knew I had to do something about it, because I was disgusted, and if I was, everyone else had to be. So at the beginning of 2k8, I joined a gym and got a personal trainer. The reason for the trainer was I knew I couldn’t do it alone -- need the motivation or the constant annoyance to make me keep with it, and I wanted someone to lay out the nutrition for me. My trainer was a woman who is 15 years older than me, half my weight and is able to lift 3x-4x times what I’m able to lift. You want to talk about a blow to the ego, never in my life have I felt more insignificant in my life. It was an eye-opening experience for me. I didn’t know I was this out of shape, and had I known, I would have done something sooner. So having met her, it has changed my view on women, though I do think she is the exception to the ‘norm’.

The Problems:
From the beginning it has been a struggle for me. I didn’t know what to expect going into this, I wonder if I had known what it would have been like if I would have done it…I am not sure if I would have. I trained with my trainer for 6 months, and then she got sick. It wasn’t an excuse for me to stop training, but I did. I tried it by myself and I felt lost. I worry about what others think, what others say, and being in the gym, standing out there for others to see how weak I am, totally messes with my mind and makes me want to stay away. I’ve read the threads where you should do your own thing, not worry about the others and just do your thing, but I can’t seem to. I know I have to now.

I am incredibly weak. In the beginning, I was a 308lb pussy. I am now a 248lb pussy. Not training these last 3 months, I’m afraid of how much weaker I am, and I can only hope that my body bounces back to where it was (though it was nothing to write home about). Because I am weak and as previously mentioned it is hard for me to want to go into the gym and display how weak I am. It is also hard for me to push myself without a partner as I can’t max out, because I am fearful I will get myself in a position that I can’t get the weight back up. Even from the beginning, I always had a problem finishing that last set. It seemed like the last 2-4 reps always kicked my ass, and required my trainer to come and save my ass.

So once you get past my ego, there are two other gorillas in the room. Stress and depression. I love my job, but it can be overwhelming and demanding causing me stress. Stress makes me want to eat…eat things I shouldn’t. Comfort food I guess. I stuck to my diet for a good length of time, cooking on the weekends, weighing my food, but there came a point where I just said ‘screw it’ and started eating crap I shouldn’t (shortly after I stopped training).

The depression is a beast in and of itself. I wish it upon no one. When I was younger people would tell me I need to be more active, get in the gym, lift some weights…I thought they were out of their mind. In the beginning of all of this, the gym allowed me to sort of clear my head and reset. Now it just gets in my head, or I get in my head. I lift, or try to lift and it gets to me…So I’m depressed and it’s easy to hide in food, and I get fat, and I’m depressed, so I eat, and I get fatter…and I’m depressed, and I eat…see the cycle? It sucks! I can tame it, I did while training…I just need to do it again.

I can make excuses every single day, some of them are valid, but most of the time it is just easier for me to say “oh I’ll do it tomorrow”. I’m tired of this, I’m tired of quitting, and I’m tired of being fat. I lost so much weight and inches NONE of my clothes fit me any longer, and they all hung off me. People at work were complimenting me; they were asking what I was taking, or what I had done to lose all that weight. I liked that feeling, it was a good place to be, but I’m not there anymore. My clothes are not tight on me yet, but they’re headed that direction and I’ll hate myself more if they get tight again.

The Goal:
60lb in 5 months. The weight is semi-irrelevant as I just want to get down to being thin. Whatever weight that ends up being. Once I thin down, I want to put on some size. No idea what that really means, I’ve just seen that once skinny, I will be tall and lanky, and I don’t want that. I believe 60lb is totally obtainable. I’ll have to train harder than I previously did, but more importantly, I will need to stick to my diet for those entire 5 months in order to reach my goal. If nothing else through all of this, I’ve learned that w/o a proper diet, working out is pointless.

Sorry for the lengthy introduction. I could write forever and a day, and in fact I have on my blog. Tons of baggage, just trying to work it all out. Like I said, just looking for those who have been there, done that and willing to help some young guy out of his life that is a hole.

I figure this is the first step. In the following posts I'll lay out what I believe will be my diet, and I'm still not sure how weights will play into all of this w/o my trainer, but I know there will be a shit-ton of cardio for the time being as I have to go home and face family after having not seen them for a year and want to slim down as much as possible.

Thanks!

J Wong
11-30-08, 6:33 pm
I'm down. Stay motivated, train hard, eat healthy, and results will come man.

basketcase
11-30-08, 7:01 pm
Thanks...Here's the diet. Always interested in what others think. I started this shortly before I stopped training and in the short period of time I was on it, I liked the results (in the mirror).

Day1:
1261 Caloires
54g Carbs
26.5g Fats
187.6g Protein

Quick Protein Shake before Cardio (1 Scoop Ultra ISO Whey)
Meal 1: Protein Shake (2 scoops Ultra ISO Whey, 1/2-C Oats, 2 TBSP Peanut Butter)
Meal 2: 4oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Yam, 1/2-C Spinach
Meal 3: 6oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Spinach
Meal 4: 4oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Spinach
Meal 5: 6oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Spinach

Day2:
1340 Calories
73g Carbs
26.6g Fats
188.6g Protein

Meal 1: Protein Shake (2 scoops Ultra ISO Whey, 1/2-C Oats, 2 TBSP Peanut Butter)
Meal 2: 4oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Yam, 1/2-C Spinach
Meal 3: 6oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Yam, 1/2-C Spinach

Day3:
1420 Calories
90g Carbs
27.1g Fats
190.6g Protein

Meal 2: 4oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Yam, 1/2-C Brown Rice, 1/2-C Spinach
Meal 3: 6oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Yam, 1/2-C Spinach

Day4:
1500 Calories
107g Carbs
27.6g Fats
192.6g Protein

Meal 2: 4oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Yam, 1/2-C Brown Rice, 1/2-C Spinach
Meal 3: 6oz Chicken Breast, 1/2-C Yam, 1/2-C Brown Rice, 1/2-C Spinach

It's pretty simple and easy. I don't like a lot of carbs (I seem to crash with lots of carbs), but I can't do no carbs (very short tempered, unable to concentrate). So I do little carbs. If I'm jones for carbs, I'll take a TBSP of peanut butter.

basketcase
11-30-08, 7:12 pm
Supplements will be Simple:

Pak
Flex
Ultra Iso Whey (Fruit Punch and Vanilla Shake)
Cuts
Omega
EAA Stak

Will order tonight, should have everything here by Wednesday.

J Wong
11-30-08, 7:22 pm
248 pounds and under 2000 cals? That's not good man.

basketcase
11-30-08, 7:57 pm
248 pounds and under 2000 cals? That's not good man.

To me the calories are irrelevant. The protein is where I want it at (est LBM), the Fats are where I want them (maybe a little low) and the carbs are where I want them. Just happens to be what the calories end up being.

But by all means, I'm willing to listen to someone who is more knowledgeable than I am.

basketcase
11-30-08, 8:00 pm
and the routine...I'm trying to find where the little animated GIFs are to display some of these, because I'm not certain what a few of them are exactly.

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=46&section=training%0A

training routine #3
CYCLE: Two Days On, One Day Off, One Day On, One Day Off, One Day On, One Day Off

LEVEL: Intermediate
GOAL: Muscle Size And Strength

Monday: Chest/Biceps

Chest
• Dumbbell Presses: 4 Sets x 8 Reps
• Flat Bench Presses: 4 Sets x 8 Reps
• Flat Dumbbell Flyes: 3 Sets x 8 Reps
• Cable Crossovers: 2 Sets x 12 Reps

Biceps
• Barbell Curls: 3 Sets x 8 Reps
• Close EZ Bar Curls: 3 Sets x 8 Reps

Tuesday: Legs

• Leg Curls: 4 Sets x 10 Reps
• Leg Extensions: 4 Sets x 10 Reps
• Leg Presses: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Squats: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 4 Sets x 12 Reps

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Calves

Back
• Barbell Shrugs: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• High Pulls: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Rear Shrugs: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Reverse Barbell Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• T-Bar Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Dumbbell Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Calves
• Standing Calf Raises: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Seated Calf Raises: 4 Sets x 12 Reps

Friday: OFF

Saturday: Shoulders/Triceps

Shoulders
• Machine Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Dumbbell Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Side Dumbbell Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Triceps
• Dumbbell Presses: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Tricep Pressdowns: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Barbell Presses: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Sunday: OFF

J Wong
11-30-08, 8:47 pm
To me the calories are irrelevant. The protein is where I want it at (est LBM), the Fats are where I want them (maybe a little low) and the carbs are where I want them. Just happens to be what the calories end up being.

But by all means, I'm willing to listen to someone who is more knowledgeable than I am.

Well, if I were you I would either up the carbs OR fats for energy. I just can't see a 248 pound guy holding up on just protein.

basketcase
11-30-08, 9:03 pm
Well, if I were you I would either up the carbs OR fats for energy. I just can't see a 248 pound guy holding up on just protein.

What about those who do Keto? They have zero carbs.

So if I do 190.6g protein and 1:1 protein:fat.

190.6g protein = 762.4 Calories
190.6g fat = 1715.4 Calories
2477.8 Calories Total

190.6g fat seems like a LOT to me.

I could bump the amount of carbs up, but I don't want more than 200g in a day, and I want them in my first 3 meals. I'll play with the numbers.

Thanks!

Firedrake
11-30-08, 9:19 pm
All righty, Basketcase, welcome to here! As one to another, I know what you're going through with depression. I, too, eat when I'm anxious or worried or stressed -- unless, it seems, I've been to the gym that morning. This crew is great for keeping you focused. and motivated. Check around, read some of the other Journeys.

In the past 6 1/2 years, I've had surgery to reattach my left bicep, (2002), arthroscopic arthritis reduction of the left shoulder (2003), reattached a torn right quad (2004), had my wife of 23 years dump me in 2005, had bilateral kidney laser lithotripsy in 2006 and had major reconstructive surgery on my lower back in 2007. Right after that surgery, I weight 313 pounds, and was diagnosed as diabetic. THAT scared the crap out of me.

I've only been able to be back in the gym three months, and thanks to Rage and the Forum's support, I'm making great progress for being the "old man" around here. My weight's down, my blood sugar is back in normal ranges, and my blood pressure is normal (of course, that happened within three months after the wife left -- go figure)

Hell, part of my cardio workout today was all about dumping some frustration -- read my entry for today, and you'll see what I mean.

I have to agree, I think your diet's a bit light on the protein. I'd cut some of the fat, and crank the protein a bit more. Make sure your water intake is high, too. I'm right around 257 right now, down from 279 back in August, and I've recently cranked up the cardio to at least an hour and fifteen minutes a day, every day of the week except leg day. Yeah, it sucks; yeah, it's boring, but it's doing the job.

The point, my friend, is that you CAN break the cycle, but only if YOU decide it's worthwhile for YOU to do so. Me? I didn't want to look like a fat old man, with a "keg" rather than a six-pack.

I'm subbed in, and I'll be keeping an eye on you. You're the one who has to do the work, but you're not alone. We'll all be here to help encourage when necessary and kick you in the ass when it's needed.

'drake

J Wong
11-30-08, 9:38 pm
What about those who do Keto? They have zero carbs.

So if I do 190.6g protein and 1:1 protein:fat.

190.6g protein = 762.4 Calories
190.6g fat = 1715.4 Calories
2477.8 Calories Total

190.6g fat seems like a LOT to me.

I could bump the amount of carbs up, but I don't want more than 200g in a day, and I want them in my first 3 meals. I'll play with the numbers.

Thanks!

With the keto, it's not like that per say. 190.6 grams of protein= 762.4 calories, and you should be getting the equal amount of calories from fat. So 762.4 divided by 9 is 84.71 grams of fat. But, you should at least be getting 248 grams of protein in your diet, but I would go for 265. That's 1060 calories, so for 1060 calories in fat you want about 118 grams of fat a day. Keep in mind these are HEALTHY FATS. Examples would be raw almonds, raw cashews,natural peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil, and egg yolks (go for omega eggs).

That's 2120 calories right there, and you will be getting a little more due to natural, trace carbs from the nut sources, (won't effect ketosis).

The keto diet is a good way to go, if you are 100% dedicated, any less, this diet is not for you AT ALL. Any questions, ask away.

basketcase
11-30-08, 10:38 pm
All righty, Basketcase, welcome to here! As one to another, I know what you're going through with depression. I, too, eat when I'm anxious or worried or stressed -- unless, it seems, I've been to the gym that morning. This crew is great for keeping you focused. and motivated. Check around, read some of the other Journeys.

In the past 6 1/2 years, I've had surgery to reattach my left bicep, (2002), arthroscopic arthritis reduction of the left shoulder (2003), reattached a torn right quad (2004), had my wife of 23 years dump me in 2005, had bilateral kidney laser lithotripsy in 2006 and had major reconstructive surgery on my lower back in 2007. Right after that surgery, I weight 313 pounds, and was diagnosed as diabetic. THAT scared the crap out of me.

I've only been able to be back in the gym three months, and thanks to Rage and the Forum's support, I'm making great progress for being the "old man" around here. My weight's down, my blood sugar is back in normal ranges, and my blood pressure is normal (of course, that happened within three months after the wife left -- go figure)

Hell, part of my cardio workout today was all about dumping some frustration -- read my entry for today, and you'll see what I mean.

I have to agree, I think your diet's a bit light on the protein. I'd cut some of the fat, and crank the protein a bit more. Make sure your water intake is high, too. I'm right around 257 right now, down from 279 back in August, and I've recently cranked up the cardio to at least an hour and fifteen minutes a day, every day of the week except leg day. Yeah, it sucks; yeah, it's boring, but it's doing the job.

The point, my friend, is that you CAN break the cycle, but only if YOU decide it's worthwhile for YOU to do so. Me? I didn't want to look like a fat old man, with a "keg" rather than a six-pack.

I'm subbed in, and I'll be keeping an eye on you. You're the one who has to do the work, but you're not alone. We'll all be here to help encourage when necessary and kick you in the ass when it's needed.

'drake

Protein is low, but why match protein with body fat? Just curious, it was once explained to me that the body will only use so much, the rest goes to waste..and with a large percentage of me being fat, doesn't make sense wasting protein.

As far as water, minimum 1Gal per day. I now carry a milk jug and have for a while. The looks I get at work!

Thanks for being here. I realize I am the one doing the work, and another reason for this post is I have a hard time letting people down, even if it means me bending over backwards to make something happen. Don't want to be a disappointment, so I have to keep my end up of the deal up here. I'll work my ass off for sure.

With the keto, it's not like that per say. 190.6 grams of protein= 762.4 calories, and you should be getting the equal amount of calories from fat. So 762.4 divided by 9 is 84.71 grams of fat. But, you should at least be getting 248 grams of protein in your diet, but I would go for 265. That's 1060 calories, so for 1060 calories in fat you want about 118 grams of fat a day. Keep in mind these are HEALTHY FATS. Examples would be raw almonds, raw cashews,natural peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil, and egg yolks (go for omega eggs).

That's 2120 calories right there, and you will be getting a little more due to natural, trace carbs from the nut sources, (won't effect ketosis).

The keto diet is a good way to go, if you are 100% dedicated, any less, this diet is not for you AT ALL. Any questions, ask away.

Yeah, my math was wrong in that scenario. So prior to me not training 3 months ago, I was told to do 110g, 140g, 170g, 200g carb cycle. And ~45g of FAT with 180g of Protein at my 248lb (with more muscle). I didn't like all those carbs, so I went to where the diet above is posted.

I always read1g protein per lb of body weight, but again based on the previous recommendation, that's why I went 180g. Also, those who do Keto also base off of LBM and not actually body weight.

Looking at others and carb cycling, they adjust protein and fat accordingly based on carb/intake. I don't know if I want to cycle protein or not. Everyone has a different way of doing it.

As far as Fats...Peanut butter is preferred. Olive Oil and Avocados make me gag. I want to try macadamia nut oil. Almonds give me horrible gas, and cashews make me constipated...haha. Probably TMI, but just justifying why they're not up there...been there, done that.

The only reason I'm doing the previously mentioned diet, is for the short period (3 weeks) I had nice results. I had also hit a plateau, so maybe it was just the shock of this particular diet that gave me the results.

I can't do zero carbs. I've tried. Bad things happen. No go for me.

I have a HUGE excel spreadsheet with different scenarios, calculations, etc. on carb cycles and what not. I used to track my daily food intake...

I have one here:

Day 1:
180g Carbs
200g Protein
80g Fat
2240 Calories

Day 2:
150g Carbs
200g Protein
80g Fat
2120 Calories

Day 3:
90g Carbs
200g Protein
80g Fat
1880 Calories

Day 4:
60g Carbs
200g Protein
80g Fat
1760 Calories

Above, I don't change the amount of protein or fats that I take in. Like I said, I have pages upon pages of calculations in a spreadsheet. Everyone has their own idea of what works as far as percentages, and I just build sheets off of them. I can enter desired daily calories, body weight, etc. and it will spit out numbers...even down to counting grams of carbs/protein/fat per meal.

At this point, anything healthy (even the minimal amount of calories) has to be better than what I've been eating the last 3 months!