PDA

View Full Version : 20 reps for all..

Sho
11-30-08, 6:25 pm
Just wondering if the 20 rep squat concept can be applied to other compound exersizes like the bench, Mill Press, and rows.. shit like that.

So like 2 warm ups and one 20 rep set that gets a 5lb addition every other workout.

Will this give the same results for upper body as its does for the lower/??

ironshaolin
11-30-08, 6:50 pm
I wouldn't try it with things like bench and military, I don't think it would work. The concept behind the "breathing" squat is to do 20 reps with your 10 rep max. This is accomplished by taking 3 deep breaths in between each rep. As you progress, it might turn into 10-15 deep breaths later in the set, but thats besides the point. The point is, take your 10 rep max in bench and try to hold it and go for 20 reps you'll probably get hurt. Imagine holding that bar and taking 3 deep breaths in between each rep, while you hold it at lock out. I bet it would be hard to make it to the first 10.

The other thing to consider is why Strossen chose the squat as a 20 rep excerisse. The heavy breathing, he felt was going to make your lungs work more, thus expanding the rib cage, which is why he follows the set with light pullovers. also, the squat is an excersise that if you were to ONLY do 20rep squats 3 times a week, your whole body would still grow. I don't think that would happen with benches.

If you would like an alternative, there is a 20 rep DEADLIFT program that follows the same idea. 10 rep max weight, put the bar on the floor and let go for 3 deep breaths in between each rep.

redskin 344
11-30-08, 8:43 pm
I would rather do the 20 rep deadlift program to be honest

With the 20 rep squat, u end up doing good morning at the bottom of the reps anyways which ruins the exercise.

mritter3
11-30-08, 9:42 pm
not a big fan of the 20 rep range, it may work for some, but anything past 12 -15 is too many reps, just overkill. just my opinion though.

Sho
11-30-08, 10:32 pm
Ya that's what i was thinking.. but if you take out the whole deep breathing aspect and you just start light.. something you can easily manage 20 reps for, then add 5lbs each time would you end up being able to do 20reps for a weight you thought u would only be doing 5-10 reps for over the course of lets say 2-4 months? or would you get stuck at some point? Will there be huge gains? or does it go against the whole heavy weight low rep growth idea?

lol my lower back would die after 20 reps of deadlifts.. even 5 reps with a heavy weight can be too much, i like to stick to heavy singles, but thats me..

redskin 344
12-01-08, 5:52 pm
I have some questions about the 20 rep program because I wanna start doing it

1) Would it better to do the 20 rep squat or deadlift program
2) Should it be done once a week for 6 weeks?
3) During those 6 weeks, am I supposed to only do the 20 rep squat/DL and the few exercises immediately following it or can I still do my Overhead presses and chinups routine?
4) Why is it so important to do pullovers right after?