PDA

View Full Version : Working out with a torn ACL/Meniscus

cryex
12-01-08, 10:27 pm
I recently tore my ACL and meniscus and I will be having surgery. I have been going to physical therapy for preop treatment to get the muscles around my leg strong.

I have been an avid lifter for a few years now and have made some pretty good progress on my physique and the weight I can lift, etc. I love doing to big three: squats, deads and obviously flat bench. Unfortunately, with the injury, I can't do squats and deads and I know the weights going to go down. I just want to make sure I can get the best workout possible even though I can't do some of the major lifts. I would like to keep as much of my muscle as possible throughout the ordeal.

I'm cleared to workout until the surgery, so I have 5 weeks until I have to back off for a while. Then I'm off for about 3 weeks and then I can start lifting again, without legs still.

Any suggestions on what I can do. I feel my strength slipping away in everything not being able to do legs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's a lifestyle I don't want to have to change to drastically because of a tiny little obstacle that I know I'll overcome soon!

BryanSmash!
12-02-08, 2:09 am
Best advice I can give here is to take it easy and try not to injure yourself even further. One thing you dont want is to be out of the gym even soon because you were doing something you knew you shouldnt be doing.
Here's the good news though: Muscle memory will aid you drastically in your recovery, and you'll be back working hard sooner than you think. Pace yourself. The tortoise always beats the hare in these cases.

GJN5002
12-02-08, 11:04 am
I worked out for 6 months with a torn meiscus. Just avoid anything that hurts, find the excercises that work for you and stick to em with high reps. Just keep blood moving and dont worry about going heavy. Warm up well , use a neoprene sleeve, go home after and ice immediately.

Big Wides
12-02-08, 11:08 am
Ask your doctor on what you can and can't do after the surgury. See if he can provide you with a timeline of what you can do and when you can do it. But do this after the surgury since more work may be needed to your knee then they expected. Consult the good doctors and stick to the plan they have......they know what they are doing

Aggression
12-02-08, 12:55 pm
It's a tough situation to be in. I'd take it real easy if anything. The way you have to look at it is: You can risk it now and train hard, possiby injuring yourself more severely, or you can take it easy and just maintain until the time comes for surgery.

cryex
12-02-08, 2:00 pm
Ya I am going to take it easy as far as my knee goes but I am looking for suggestions for upper body stuff. I wanna do a good workout but not get bored with what I am doing and not overtrain

Aggression
12-02-08, 2:07 pm
Ya I am going to take it easy as far as my knee goes but I am looking for suggestions for upper body stuff. I wanna do a good workout but not get bored with what I am doing and not overtrain

You can pretty much roam free for upper body. As long as you're not putting stress on that knee, you should be fine. Just get in there and test the waters. If an exercise starts to bother you, then dump it and find another one.