PDA

View Full Version : Good Leg Routine performed with only dumbbells?

thatdude111
12-02-08, 12:07 am
What's a good routine i can do with only dumbbells?
Squats, lunges, calf raises, what else?

SQUAT or DIE!
12-02-08, 12:10 am
DB sldl

thatdude111
12-02-08, 12:14 am
What is DB Sldl?

SQUAT or DIE!
12-02-08, 12:16 am
stiff leg dead lift- lock your legs, and hold the dbs in front of you, and bend over, touch the ground with the weights and come back up, works hams and lower back..

thatdude111
12-02-08, 12:19 am
I perform deadlifts on back day, should i still do them on leg day?

SQUAT or DIE!
12-02-08, 12:24 am
I perform deadlifts on back day, should i still do them on leg day?

eh i wouldnt, may be to taxin on your system...

uh maybe you could do DB hack squats, hold the DBs behind you, like behind your ass.. and do a partial squat, it works the quads..

thatdude111
12-02-08, 12:28 am
Okay i'll try that thanks

So Squats, lunges, calf raises, and hack squats would be enough to give me a good leg workout if I only had access to dumbbells.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-02-08, 12:28 am
1 legged squats too would be good with dumbells...just a thought, and lunges

SQUAT or DIE!
12-02-08, 12:30 am
Okay i'll try that thanks

So Squats, lunges, calf raises, and hack squats would be enough to give me a good leg workout if I only had access to dumbbells.

covering all the bases, and alternate squats and one legged squats like kong sugested every few weeks...

Cstlfx
12-02-08, 1:03 am
Also, DB Front Squats. You could try side lunges as well. Sissy squats holding a DB. Steps if you have stairs, bench, or something else to step up on.

Another one, cant remember the name, take a wide legged stance, hold the DB in between your legs, then squat.

Other than that, can think of anything else to add.

thatdude111
12-02-08, 1:24 am
Another one, cant remember the name, take a wide legged stance, hold the DB in between your legs, then squat.

Other than that, can think of anything else to add.

I thinks it's called a pile squat. you hold a dumbell in between your legs with a wide stance i forgot about that one thanks

BryanSmash!
12-02-08, 2:21 am
With the exception of lunges, it might be difficult to find a DB thats heavy enough to give you a good leg workout.
If you do have DB's heavy enough for you, Id recommend farmers walks.

MVP
12-02-08, 3:27 am
What's a good routine i can do with only dumbbells?
Squats, lunges, calf raises, what else?

Squats and lunges are all you need. I wouldn't even recommend calf raises.

Instead of throwing in un-necessary movements. I would increase the total volume (overall workload) on the squats and lunges.

I would do something like this. Definitely incorporate squats.

Week 1

1) Squats
2) Lunges
3) Leg Raises

Week 2

1) Squats
2) Stiff-leg deadlifts
3) Leg Raises

Week 3

1) Squats
2) Leg press
3) Leg Raises

Week 4

1) Squats
2) Lunges
3) Leg Raises

Your body responds to the amount of stress placed upon your muscles and nothing more. Changing things up every few weeks is a good way to force muscle growth.

Your muscles work to the stress levels you place on them and no more. Unless you change the stress levels by changing what you do, you will not grow.

Your body benefits from and responds to changes in routine, equipment, rep speed, number of sets per exercise and type of training program.

Factory
12-02-08, 9:35 am
if you can do pistols well with a db or two, it'll be killer... Might just wanna do them unweighted though.

thatdude111
12-02-08, 2:09 pm
Squats and lunges are all you need. I wouldn't even recommend calf raises.

Instead of throwing in un-necessary movements. I would increase the total volume (overall workload) on the squats and lunges.

I would do something like this. Definitely incorporate squats.

Week 1

1) Squats
2) Lunges
3) Leg Raises

Week 2

1) Squats
2) Stiff-leg deadlifts
3) Leg Raises

Week 3

1) Squats
2) Leg press
3) Leg Raises

Week 4

1) Squats
2) Lunges
3) Leg Raises

Your body responds to the amount of stress placed upon your muscles and nothing more. Changing things up every few weeks is a good way to force muscle growth.

Your muscles work to the stress levels you place on them and no more. Unless you change the stress levels by changing what you do, you will not grow.

Your body benefits from and responds to changes in routine, equipment, rep speed, number of sets per exercise and type of training program.

Don't i need a machine to perform leg raises?
Also if I'm only doing three exercises for legs about how many sets and reps should i do?

I have plenty of weight to work with the dumbells.. thanks

thatdude111
12-02-08, 6:32 pm
Also how do i perform leg presses with dumbbells?

redskin 344
12-02-08, 8:16 pm
I used to do weighted pistols/one legged squats
eventhough doing a egular pistol with no weights is the hardest bodyweight exercise u can possibly do (not really for me)
but u need to work up to them first which takes a while so maybe u wouldnt wanna do that.
Its still a great exercises and gets ur legs huge but it requires good balance because u need to remian standing on one leg for 5 or so reps.

MVP
12-02-08, 9:27 pm
Also how do i perform leg presses with dumbbells?

Sorry man I forgot you said dumbells only...

Leg raises you don't need a machine. A station are good for hanging leg raises but there is another option which is lying leg raises where you would preform the same movement just lying on the floor.

Leg presses will only work with the machine. Lunges and stiff-leg deadlifts will do you fine though.

thatdude111
12-02-08, 9:31 pm
Sorry man I forgot you said dumbells only...

Leg raises you don't need a machine. A station are good for hanging leg raises but there is another option which is lying leg raises where you would preform the same movement just lying on the floor.

Leg presses will only work with the machine. Lunges and stiff-leg deadlifts will do you fine though.

okay thanks, yea i usually do legs raises(laying down on the floor) a few times a week for lower abs.

you suggest do leg raises, squats and lunges but since I'm only doing 3 exercises for legs how many sets/reps should i do .

MVP
12-03-08, 2:47 am
okay thanks, yea i usually do legs raises(laying down on the floor) a few times a week for lower abs.

you suggest do leg raises, squats and lunges but since I'm only doing 3 exercises for legs how many sets/reps should i do .

If you're lifting heavy enough, you should not have enough energy for more than two direct leg exercises.

I would switch up on alternate weeks from doing stiff-leg deadlifts on Week A, then on Week B do lunges.

I prefer 5x5 when it comes to rep range. 3x5 works good too. All of my gains (great gains at that) has came from that.

Remember, getting big comes from eating big, building muscle comes from stimulis and heavy weights.

If you're a beginner it's not recommended personally by me to try 3x10. The bigger more developed guys do but you should not be training like them. Their doing 3x10 with much heavier more advanced weight like 315lbs. or 225lbs.

You should be using compound movements and heavy weight with good eating to provide yourself with a good base. Then start the bodybuilding techniques and splits.

Good look bro ask anymore questions you may have.

thatdude111
12-03-08, 11:23 am
If you're lifting heavy enough, you should not have enough energy for more than two direct leg exercises.

I would switch up on alternate weeks from doing stiff-leg deadlifts on Week A, then on Week B do lunges.

I prefer 5x5 when it comes to rep range. 3x5 works good too. All of my gains (great gains at that) has came from that.

Remember, getting big comes from eating big, building muscle comes from stimulis and heavy weights.

If you're a beginner it's not recommended personally by me to try 3x10. The bigger more developed guys do but you should not be training like them. Their doing 3x10 with much heavier more advanced weight like 315lbs. or 225lbs.

You should be using compound movements and heavy weight with good eating to provide yourself with a good base. Then start the bodybuilding techniques and splits.

Good look bro ask anymore questions you may have.

I been working out for about 2 years then took some time off and let myself go and gained a lot of weight. Over the course of this past 10 months I've lost 50 lbs, through eating healthy,cardio, and lifting weights 3-4 times a week using basic compound movements. I've lost the weight i wanted to lose and put on some muscle so now i do a basic split like this.
I do 3-5 exercises for each muscle, and reps i keep it around 3 sets of 8, other weeks, i'll do 5sets of 5, or set of 8,10,and 12.
Mon-Chest
Tues-Back
Wed- legs
Thurs-shoulders
Friday-Arms
I do abs 2-3 times a week and cardio 5-6 times a week.
My question is do you think this is a good split?

thatdude111
12-05-08, 12:19 am
Considering I took a few years off and am kinda starting fresh, is this split routine good for me?

MVP
12-06-08, 6:16 pm
Considering I took a few years off and am kinda starting fresh, is this split routine good for me?

Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

There's nothing wrong with splits. I'm against splits only for beginners as I feel they should start out with a full body routine to provide a good base and get in some strength gains.

That is fine. I would focus more on the compounds and less on the isolations but I am nowhere near against isolations. I am currently on a split right now myself, after about 2 years of training most people have a good base provided and are ready for actual bodybuilding splits and techniques. Although I'm not saying splits won't work for beginners just that I personally don't recommend them.

That split should be fine though, what exercises are you preforming for each day?

The split I'm on right now goes like this...

Monday (Chest)
Bench Press 3x5
Incline Press 2x6-8
Dips 5 sets

Tuesday (Shoulders/Biceps)
Strict Press 3x5
Curls 2x10
Hanging Leg Raises 3x12

Wednesday (Upper back)
Pullup 3x5
Latpulldown 3x6
Behind the Neck Pulldown 2x6-8

Thursday (Lower back)
Deadlift 1x5
Barbell Row 3x5
Sit Ups 3x30

Friday (Legs)
Squat 3x5
Stiff-leg deadlifts 2x6-8
Leg Raises 3x12
Sit Ups 3x30

As you can tell I have a few isolation movements added but the majority of my routine is sitll focused around compounds. Less volume and frequency but more intensity with the isolations.

Hope that helps.

Are you responding from your split?

thatdude111
12-06-08, 8:38 pm

Monday (Chest)
Bench Press 3x5
Incline Press 2x6-8
Dips 5 sets

Strict Press 3x5
Curls 2x10
Hanging Leg Raises 3x12

Wednesday (Upper back)
Pullup 3x5
Latpulldown 3x6

Thursday (Lower back)
Deadlift 1x5
Barbell Row 3x5
Sit Ups 3x30

Friday (Legs)
Squat 3x5
Leg Raises 3x12
Sit Ups 3x30

As you can tell I have a few isolation movements added but the majority of my routine is sitll focused around compounds. Less volume and frequency but more intensity with the isolations.

Hope that helps.

Mon - Chest
Dumbell press - 3x8
Incline Dumbell press -3x8
Overhead dumbell pullovers -3x8
Dumbell flyes - 3 X 8
Then I usually end with regular push ups till failure.

Tues - Back
Dumbell Deadlifts -3x8
LatPulldowns - 3x20
Bent Over Barbell Rows - 3x8
One-armed barbell rows - 3x8

Wednesday - Legs
Dumbells Squats - 3x8
Dumbells Lunges - 3x8
Calf Raises - 3X15

Thursday- Shoulders
Standing Barbell presses - 3x8
Dumbell pullups - 3X8
(superset) front and side lateral raises -3X8
Reverse Flyes - 3x8

Friday - Biceps/Triceps
Ez-bar curls 3X8
Alternating Dumbell curls - 3X8
Skull Crushers(E-z Bar) 3X8
Dips(using two chairs) 3X8

I work out at home, I have dumbells, E-z Bar, Bench, resistant band. pull up bar.
I'm going to buy a barbell.

I know there is no perfect split routine but does this routine cover everything I hope I''m not neglecting important exercise due to lack of equipment. But what do you think?

thatdude111
12-06-08, 8:40 pm

Monday (Chest)
Bench Press 3x5
Incline Press 2x6-8
Dips 5 sets

Strict Press 3x5
Curls 2x10
Hanging Leg Raises 3x12

Wednesday (Upper back)
Pullup 3x5
Latpulldown 3x6

Thursday (Lower back)
Deadlift 1x5
Barbell Row 3x5
Sit Ups 3x30

Friday (Legs)
Squat 3x5
Leg Raises 3x12
Sit Ups 3x30

Hope that helps.

Mon - Chest
Dumbell press - 3x8
Dumbell flyes - 3 X 8

Tues - Back
Dumbell Deadlifts -3x8
LatPulldowns with a resistant band - 3x20
Bent Over E-z bar Rows - 3x8
One-armed Dumbbell rows - 3x8

Wednesday - Legs
Dumbells Squats - 3x8
Dumbells Lunges - 3x8
Calf Raises - 3X15

Thursday- Shoulders
Standing dumbell presses - 3x8
Dumbell pullups - 3X8
Reverse Flyes - 3x8

Friday - Biceps/Triceps
Ez-bar curls 3X8

Abs will be done 2-3 days a week. I do crunches,bicycle kicks, and leg lifts(laying down).
Also I do cardio 4-6 days a week usually 30-45 minutes after I lift weights.

I work out at home, I have dumbells, E-z Bar, Bench, resistant band. pull up bar.

I know there is no perfect split routine but does this routine cover everything I hope I''m not neglecting important exercise due to lack of equipment. But what do you think?

MVP
12-07-08, 1:52 pm
Mon - Chest
Dumbell press - 3x8
Dumbell flyes - 3 X 8

I would eliminate overhead dumbell pullovers. Benches, incline benches, and flys are all thats needed for hypertrophy. I would probably use less volume on the flys as well.

Example - Bench Press; 3x8... Incline Press; 2x10... Dumbelly Flyes; 2x12. Although personally when doing flyes I prefer to work with a machine. That's just me personally though.

Tues - Back
Dumbell Deadlifts -3x8
LatPulldowns with a resistant band - 3x20
Bent Over E-z bar Rows - 3x8
One-armed Dumbbell rows - 3x8

This day looks fine. Pullups are overall a better lat movement then latpulldowns though. If you cannot preform pullups, latpulldowns are the suitable suggestion. I wouldn't recommend 3x20 though, more like 3x8 as you're doing for the other movements.

As far as the rows go, I wouldn't do two different kinds. I would just do for example dumbell rows and if I felt it wasn't getting the job done increase the volume and/or the intensity of the lift.

Wednesday - Legs
Dumbells Squats - 3x8
Dumbells Lunges - 3x8
Calf Raises - 3X15

This looks good.

Thursday- Shoulders
Standing dumbell presses - 3x8
Dumbell pullups - 3X8
Reverse Flyes - 3x8

I personally don't like this day. I would do the dumbell presses (oh pressing movement) then a side lateral raise, then a reverse side lateral. The overhead press is anterior delt dominant with enough weight, reps, sets it is getting hit hard enough. Especially since it's worked through other movements as well like bench presses. Reverse flyes are fine.

Friday - Biceps/Triceps
Ez-bar curls 3X8

This day looks good.

Abs will be done 2-3 days a week. I do crunches,bicycle kicks, and leg lifts(laying down).
Also I do cardio 4-6 days a week usually 30-45 minutes after I lift weights.

I critiqued the best I could. If this routine is working for you I wouldn't change it. But if it's not giving you the optimum hypertrophy gains that listed above ^ is what I would change.

Remember gaining size is all in the eating, gaining hypertrophy is done in numberous different ways. There's not just one way to get there. I lift heavy with 3x5 and respond pretty good but some other guys will use 3x5 to provide a good base of strength then begin using 3x10 and respond.

Mixing things up like exercises, rep ranges, sets, rep speed, etc. is also a good way to change the stress levels placed upon your body.

I hope this helps some.

thatdude111
12-07-08, 3:10 pm
I critiqued the best I could. If this routine is working for you I wouldn't change it. But if it's not giving you the optimum hypertrophy gains that listed above ^ is what I would change.

Remember gaining size is all in the eating, gaining hypertrophy is done in numberous different ways. There's not just one way to get there. I lift heavy with 3x5 and respond pretty good but some other guys will use 3x5 to provide a good base of strength then begin using 3x10 and respond.

Mixing things up like exercises, rep ranges, sets, rep speed, etc. is also a good way to change the stress levels placed upon your body.

I hope this helps some.

I had a feeling I was doing too many exercises. ,I'm def. gonna cut out the exercises you suggested and switch up my reps and sets. Thanks this was a big help

I personally don't like this day. I would do the dumbell presses (oh pressing movement) then a side lateral raise, then a reverse side lateral. The overhead press is anterior delt dominant with enough weight, reps, sets it is getting hit hard enough. Especially since it's worked through other movements as well like bench presses. Reverse flyes are fine.

Just one more question;

What exactly is a reverse side lateral raise is it the same as a reverse fly?

MVP
12-07-08, 10:58 pm
Yeah no problem man ask as many questions as you feel necessary.

Rear delt lateral raises, reverse flyes, there's a lot of names for this. It's a rear delt lateral raise basically. It's best to do bent over.

thatdude111
12-08-08, 1:50 am
How long does it usually take for you to do each routine? It seems like if i only do 3 exercises I'll be done in 20 minutes(not including cardio).

MVP
12-08-08, 3:38 am
How long does it usually take for you to do each routine? It seems like if i only do 3 exercises I'll be done in 20 minutes(not including cardio).

I rest until I'm physically and mentally ready to begin the next set. Usually I rest about 3-5 minutes between sets. 3x5 It usually takes me when preforming 4 exercises (including ab work) about 20-30 minutes.