PDA

View Full Version : something i could never understand

futurefreak101
12-02-08, 6:25 pm
pro baseball,basketball players and so on get paid i dunno say 10 million dollars a year or more to do what they do...now you got some guy who bodybuilds profesionally...eats like a fucking horse..trains everyday..bust his ass year round..only to step on stage once a year to try and win the title of the mr olympia only to make around a bullshit 100,000 dollars....which is easily spent on food,supplements and whatever else just to get on that stage...i really dont get it. discuss.

hardhit71
12-02-08, 6:58 pm
i agree but that's still more than what a lot of people make. at least they get paid to do what they love right?

futurefreak101
12-02-08, 7:05 pm
i agree but that's still more than what a lot of people make. at least they get paid to do what they love right?

yea but dude....only if you get first place you make that....and still...all the money you spend on food...(gear) and other shit adds up.

thatdude111
12-02-08, 7:26 pm
Compared to baseball or football the sport of bodybuilding isn't as entertaining or appealing to a large majority of people. Each sunday millions tune in to watch the football games I doubt people would do the same for bodybuilding

futurefreak101
12-02-08, 7:31 pm
Compared to baseball or football the sport of bodybuilding isn't as entertaining or appealing to a large majority of people. Each sunday millions tune in to watch the football games I doubt people would do the same for bodybuilding

strong point..people like to drink beers and watch the games on tv...i dont know anyone who would watch bodybuilding and drink beers with their freinds...lame

thatdude111
12-02-08, 7:41 pm
strong point..people like to drink beers and watch the games on tv...i dont know anyone who would watch bodybuilding and drink beers with their freinds...lame

Exactly, are a bunch of people going to gather at a friends house or a bar to watch a bodybuilding event or a football game. During the superbowl alone they get like a million dollars for each commercial so it's big money

Brutus_515
12-02-08, 7:44 pm
this kind of falls into the "is bodybuilding a sport" question....I look at it as a lifestyle (bodybuilding) and hobby (lifting weights) really my personal opinion...but Professional ball players do alot of the same training most eat specific diets and train hard and learn new ways to train to be better and adapt to the never ending compition getting better and better (just like we do)....and money is in the mainstream. It could also be Pro athletes are "owned" by some millionaire and have endorsments with multi billion dollar companies...not a magazine and a supplement company (both are great achivements in the bodybuilding world) but that doesnt really throw too much food on your table

Big3
12-02-08, 7:50 pm
bodybuilders are sponsered my supplement companies.... they earn a lot more than just the winner's check.

NickSP
12-02-08, 8:04 pm
Money comes from people. The people's money goes to something that's popular and entertaining. It just comes down to the fact that it's not a popular industry. Not only is the extreme muscularity look not really mainstream-acceptable, but competitions aren't exactly intriguing.

Pizzalamp
12-02-08, 11:20 pm
thats why its good to buy supplements to help support the sport

getapump
12-02-08, 11:41 pm
You have to remember not all professional athletes make that kind of money a year. Take minor league baseball for instance, they arent makin that( the ones who didnt get a big ass signing bonus anyway). The ones who are, are the elite few, and they are the very BEST in the world at what they do. And what they do is entertain and perform for the masses. And dont think they dont bust chops year round either. They do. Baseball and football have been around for a long ass time and have forged themselves into Americans hearts because of that. Think about it nobody grew up doing clean and jerks in the front yard and eating cans of tuna, but yelling out ghost runner on first and one gator two gator three gator etc. These sports were a major part of alot of childhoods and attending games and watching them on tv are far more appealing to many than bodybuilding comps because it was engraved into them early on. "See the Bears game last week" will be uttered far more than "See Dexter take it away from Jay last night". It might be right, might be wrong, I just dont have the answer. Personally I love bodybuilding, i just love baseball more. However baseball and football got me lifting so... man its all intertwined in this world of mine and im just ramblin on now so ill call it quits.

SQUAT or DIE!
12-02-08, 11:47 pm
i dont know anyone who would watch bodybuilding and drink beers with their freinds...lame

*raises hand* - the hell is wrong with that?

but like its been said its not a HUGE sport like football and baseball.. but the amount of cash in these sports is so diff. major league teams have the millions to throw around so why not do it to pick up the talent? i dont think many major supp companies have miilions to toss around to their athletes

prowrestler
12-02-08, 11:53 pm
professional wrestler dont make much and are on the road 300+days a year.

chris benoit was makeing 600,000.

john cena (top guy) makes 3 million a year ok. the amount of shit that guy does is unreal. fans, signings,movies.......

we have the hardest life and sport, hands down, and get a lower end spectrum sallery compared to the fuckin MLB or NFL.

still good money but fuck

smith06
12-03-08, 12:22 am
professional wrestler dont make much and are on the road 300+days a year.
chris benoit was makeing 600,000.
john cena (top guy) makes 3 million a year ok. the amount of shit that guy does is unreal. fans, signings,movies.......
we have the hardest life and sport, hands down, and get a lower end spectrum sallery compared to the fuckin MLB or NFL.
still good money but fuck

And that's all thanks to McMahon's monopoly. Steve Austin was making much more in his prime.

It all boils down to revenue. People pay to watch football. Commercials During football games. My Browns shirts and jerseys. Bodybuilders get paid winnings and sponsorships. And all in all its just not nearly as marketable as any other sport.

Wasteland
12-03-08, 9:37 am
Money follows people. Most people do not follow bodybuilding. That doesn't mean bodybuilders don't work any harder or make greater sacrifices. In fact, I believe they do.

NumeroUno
12-03-08, 5:27 pm
Someone competing the Olympia (anyone you see in the mags) don't pay for supplements, sponsorships take care of that. I will get into whether or not they have to pay for grade AA pharms, but I'm pretty sure some fan of theirs would be more than happy to hook them up.
100,000 for winning the competition, but how much for all the ads they do? Magazine covers, every other page, guest posing, not to mention training. Larry Scott said people would pay thousands of dollars just to do a training session with him. The ones who are smart about it can make more than enough money.

-NumeroUno

IronWilson
12-03-08, 10:12 pm
Money comes from people. The people's money goes to something that's popular and entertaining. It just comes down to the fact that it's not a popular industry. Not only is the extreme muscularity look not really mainstream-acceptable, but competitions aren't exactly intriguing.

This is true. In a radio interview, Triple H (of WWE) said that the reason why bodybuilding is not popular is because of the competitors being boring. He said that at a press conference when Jay Cutler was asked how he was going to win the Olympia, he sounded like he just rolled out of bed, like "yeah, uhhhh, I'm gonna train hard."

The media needs to make bodybuilding more exciting too, such as cooler videos and intense match up advertisements. I know theres not much you can make of the contests, but they could do something to hype it up and maybe throw some unorthodox things in the contests.

Look what Pumping Iron did for the industry. People saw this film and then gyms were no longer a place for muscle freaks, now they are commercialized and a place for socializing, lol. But I believe it could be exposed to the world and turned somewhat into more of an entertaining sport.

GJN5002
12-05-08, 1:44 pm

I agree, unless my friends are competing, Im not too vested in a show. In UFC or Football, anything can happen. Victor martinez isnt gonna pose so hard that his chest grows an inch and pulls out the win. You have a good idea going into a show of the outcome, plus its obective to each judges opinon. In football you score a touchdown (minus the replay stuff that happens sometimes). Like said, money follow popularity and bodybuilding is a misunderstood sport.

Dingo
12-05-08, 1:54 pm
pro baseball,basketball players and so on get paid i dunno say 10 million dollars a year or more to do what they do...now you got some guy who bodybuilds profesionally...eats like a fucking horse..trains everyday..bust his ass year round..only to step on stage once a year to try and win the title of the mr olympia only to make around a bullshit 100,000 dollars....which is easily spent on food,supplements and whatever else just to get on that stage...i really dont get it. discuss.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=7465
yours runs similar to Machine's thoughts here. Probably one of my favorite threads, and needs to be revisited from time to time.

The Incredible Hulk
12-06-08, 2:40 am
Simply put, bodybuilding doesn't have the following that the major sports do. A lot of us are so into the bodybuilding game that we forget that the rest of the world really doesn't know about it or really give a shit for that matter, lol. However I totally agree that bodybuilder's don't get the respect they deserve considering how hard they work, hell here's a perfect example: I read off another forum that the great Lee Priest actually had to pay to use a gym in AUSTRALIA of all places....shit, if I was running a gym I'd be the one paying Lee to work out there.

Bodybuilding's just an acquired taste, as it's been stated before, it takes a special kind of fan to sit around and watch oiled up men pose in thongs without feeling the least bit gay about it. LOL

mdh84
12-06-08, 3:27 am
This is true. In a radio interview, Triple H (of WWE) said that the reason why bodybuilding is not popular is because of the competitors being boring. He said that at a press conference when Jay Cutler was asked how he was going to win the Olympia, he sounded like he just rolled out of bed, like "yeah, uhhhh, I'm gonna train hard."

The media needs to make bodybuilding more exciting too, such as cooler videos and intense match up advertisements. I know theres not much you can make of the contests, but they could do something to hype it up and maybe throw some unorthodox things in the contests.

Look what Pumping Iron did for the industry. People saw this film and then gyms were no longer a place for muscle freaks, now they are commercialized and a place for socializing, lol. But I believe it could be exposed to the world and turned somewhat into more of an entertaining sport.

How much do we want bodybuilding to be exposed to the masses? I think if the media made it more exciting or entertaining, the general public would see it as more of a freakshow or circus sideshow that anything else. 1 thing that I love about the sport is that not too many people understand it. It's not the cool thing to do or watch on TV. Here's an example to better explain myself. When the World Cup was going on in '06, everyone at my work was always talking about soccer, talking about all of the teams, going out to play soccer all of the time, you get the point. I had never heard any one of these people ever talk about soccer but since it was going on, it was the cool thing to talk about. I'm not downgrading soccer, I'm just not going to pretend to know everything about it because it is the common subject of conversation. I don't think I would like it if people followed bodybuilding just because it is the trendy thing to do. It is a lifestyle and those who keep up on it and practice this lifestyle have a certain passion for it that I believe would diminish if it were a gllitzy, more commercialized sport. Just my 2 cents.

IronWilson
12-06-08, 10:40 am
How much do we want bodybuilding to be exposed to the masses? I think if the media made it more exciting or entertaining, the general public would see it as more of a freakshow or circus sideshow that anything else. 1 thing that I love about the sport is that not too many people understand it. It's not the cool thing to do or watch on TV. Here's an example to better explain myself. When the World Cup was going on in '06, everyone at my work was always talking about soccer, talking about all of the teams, going out to play soccer all of the time, you get the point. I had never heard any one of these people ever talk about soccer but since it was going on, it was the cool thing to talk about. I'm not downgrading soccer, I'm just not going to pretend to know everything about it because it is the common subject of conversation. I don't think I would like it if people followed bodybuilding just because it is the trendy thing to do. It is a lifestyle and those who keep up on it and practice this lifestyle have a certain passion for it that I believe would diminish if it were a gllitzy, more commercialized sport. Just my 2 cents.

Your absolutely right about that. That is the great thing about it, its the road less taken. Hell, I almost don't even think it can get any worse with it being trendy though, bicep warriors are everywhere. But I don't think we have to worry as I, for one, will be shocked if it goes mainstream.

Dingo
12-07-08, 11:23 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=7465
yours runs similar to Machine's thoughts here. Probably one of my favorite threads, and needs to be revisited from time to time.

Seriously, this thread has already been started, at the above link by Machine.

jeff00z28
12-08-08, 12:01 am
imo professional sports suck. a complete bastard like leanord little for the rams still makes 10x what a doctor does

The Incredible Hulk
12-08-08, 1:07 am
imo professional sports suck. a complete bastard like leanord little for the rams still makes 10x what a doctor does

That's right dude....didn't he kill a woman while driving drunk back in 98? And as I recall, he hardly received any punishment from the league....

jeff00z28
12-08-08, 2:40 am
That's right dude....didn't he kill a woman while driving drunk back in 98? And as I recall, he hardly received any punishment from the league....

exactly. and oj simpson killing his wife almost was made out as a 'cool' thing. i rly dont watch a whole lot of sports but i think college sports are great

GJN5002
12-11-08, 1:39 pm
exactly. and oj simpson killing his wife almost was made out as a 'cool' thing. i rly dont watch a whole lot of sports but i think college sports are great

its not just athletes, its anyone in a position of power or wealth. I dont think OJ's trial was made out to be a cool thing at all. Media popularized it, but I dont think anyone though it was cool.