PDA

View Full Version : Keeping It Simple

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 12:58 am
I’m trying to create a simple but effective workout plan that will hit all my major muscles and maybe a few others. I don’t have 8 hours to train in a gym (I wish I did) but I do have about two hours 5 times a week. I’m 6’ 1” and weigh about 195-200 and would like to get around 225. I eat about 3,000 to 3,500 calories a day, 100-150 grams of protein. I need to know what would be the most time effective exercises to do. I know bench for chest, squats deads and lunges for legs, pull ups and rows for back, skull crushers and curls for arms. But what would be the best number of sets and reps to complete for optimal muscle growth?
Let me know what you think,
The Hulk

SQUAT or DIE!
12-03-08, 1:03 am
well if you want to get bigger you need to eat more protein, you need to take in at least 1g per lb of body weight... 1.5-2 is better..

you look at some of the routines that they have posted up on the animal site, they seem pretty good, and over all the basics you need... but if you want to do your own workout you need to test out things, different numbers of sets and reps... everybody is different and you need to find what works for YOU!

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 1:18 am
well if you want to get bigger you need to eat more protein, you need to take in at least 1g per lb of body weight... 1.5-2 is better..

you look at some of the routines that they have posted up on the animal site, they seem pretty good, and over all the basics you need... but if you want to do your own workout you need to test out things, different numbers of sets and reps... everybody is different and you need to find what works for YOU!

Thanks. I'm looking at the routines now!

SQUAT or DIE!
12-03-08, 1:22 am
no problem man hope ya find one ya like.. cruise some of the diet articles too... good readin

prowrestler
12-03-08, 1:28 am
YOUR DIET IS WEAK

-2 grams protien per poun of bodyweight
-25 cals per pound of bodyweight
-train basic and heavy

i now allow you to grow!

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 1:30 am

What kind/type of protein would you recommend? I take a whey shake in the morning and if I lift REAL heavy then another one after my workout which gives me about 200g.

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 1:35 am
YOUR DIET IS WEAK

-train basic and heavy

i now allow you to grow!

Thanks, I knew I wasn't eating enough calories but didn't know about how much I should intake. According to that I should consume around 5,000 calories and 400 grams of protein. Thanks for that info! I'll keep ya updated on my diet.

Wasteland
12-03-08, 11:45 am
I’m trying to create a simple but effective workout plan that will hit all my major muscles and maybe a few others. I don’t have 8 hours to train in a gym (I wish I did) but I do have about two hours 5 times a week. I’m 6’ 1” and weigh about 195-200 and would like to get around 225. I eat about 3,000 to 3,500 calories a day, 100-150 grams of protein. I need to know what would be the most time effective exercises to do. I know bench for chest, squats deads and lunges for legs, pull ups and rows for back, skull crushers and curls for arms. But what would be the best number of sets and reps to complete for optimal muscle growth?
Let me know what you think,
The Hulk

I saw your post in the Diet section. For what it's worth, your split will be secondary in your quest to achieve your goals. Primary will be your diet. If that's not in order, nothing you do iin the gym will help you achieve your goal weight of 225. That said, I'd focus on basic compound movements. It's hard to go wrong with the basics like the squat, deadlift and bench as the core.

Wasteland
12-03-08, 11:46 am
YOUR DIET IS WEAK

-train basic and heavy

i now allow you to grow!

Thanks, I knew I wasn't eating enough calories but didn't know about how much I should intake. According to that I should consume around 5,000 calories and 400 grams of protein. Thanks for that info! I'll keep ya updated on my diet.

Go back to your post in the Diet section. That's where the key is and members have asked some good questions. As I stated there, there is no set answer to "how much". You have to experiment on your own to find out what the answer is.

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 2:51 pm
I saw your post in the Diet section. For what it's worth, your split will be secondary in your quest to achieve your goals. Primary will be your diet. If that's not in order, nothing you do iin the gym will help you achieve your goal weight of 225. That said, I'd focus on basic compound movements. It's hard to go wrong with the basics like the squat, deadlift and bench as the core.

Okay, I'm doing alot of reading in the Diet section and it's helping me alot!

Wasteland
12-03-08, 4:50 pm
Okay, I'm doing alot of reading in the Diet section and it's helping me alot!

Get your diet in check over in the Diet section. Then, figure out a split that makes sense fo your goals here.