PDA

View Full Version : How much Calories/Protein

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 1:43 am
I've been a member here for awhile now but the start of the month made me become pure Animal! I've started lifting pure again! Living and getting my life straight. But my diet needs some work. I’m now 6’1” 195-200. I’m wanting to get around 220 225 as fast as possible. I’ve herd that about 25 calories and 2 grams of protein should be a good start! Does roughly 5,000 calories and 400 grams of protein sound right to gain 20 25 pounds? If not, how many calories/protein should I consume daily.
Let me know what you think
The Hulk

sanga
12-03-08, 2:36 am
On your current diet are you maintaining, gaining or losing?

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 3:04 am
On your current diet are you maintaining, gaining or losing?
I'm currently losing weight. But I'm only eating about 3500 calories now. I've lost about 7-10pounds in a month

sanga
12-03-08, 3:34 am
If its fat you are losing then stick with it.

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 3:37 am
Okay. Thanks

Aggression
12-03-08, 10:50 am
If its fat you are losing then stick with it.

Okay. Thanks

I'm a bit confused here Hulk. In the original post you said you were trying to add 20-25lbs. Then it seems like you agreed with, and are O.K. with losing weight, judging by your response to Sanga.

If you want to add weight, you're going to have to eat more. You mapped out 5K cals with 400g protein which is a START. As you continue to gain, you're going to have to add more calories to your diet. By the time you reach your goal of 225, you might be eating 5500 calories, maybe 6000 just to maintain. You can't gain 25lbs by keeping your diet at the same level, it's going to take time and effort. And it's not going to come as fast as possible. If you gain a pound/week, you're doing a good job. Start there bro, and work your way up.

Wasteland
12-03-08, 11:41 am
I've been a member here for awhile now but the start of the month made me become pure Animal! I've started lifting pure again! Living and getting my life straight. But my diet needs some work. I’m now 6’1” 195-200. I’m wanting to get around 220 225 as fast as possible. I’ve herd that about 25 calories and 2 grams of protein should be a good start! Does roughly 5,000 calories and 400 grams of protein sound right to gain 20 25 pounds? If not, how many calories/protein should I consume daily.
The Hulk

First, I'd consider taking out "fast as possible" from your vocabulary. To be successful as a bodybuilder, one of the first prerequisites is cultivating patience. If you're serious about this sport, you have to think long term. Going from 195-225 is going to take time, likely longer than you may think, and how long ultimately depends on your dedication, consistency and other variables (e.g., genetics). There is no "right" answer to your question. No one but you will know if 5,000 calories and 400g of protein will get you to 25 pounds within the framework of your expectations. I would start with what your current caloric intake is and your macros. What is it?

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 2:54 pm
I would start with what your current caloric intake is and your macros.

What is macros??

Mt current intake is about 3500 calories but every day for the past week I've been increasing my caloric intake

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 2:58 pm
I'm a bit confused here Hulk. In the original post you said you were trying to add 20-25lbs. Then it seems like you agreed with, and are O.K. with losing weight, judging by your response to Sanga.

If you want to add weight, you're going to have to eat more. You mapped out 5K cals with 400g protein which is a START. As you continue to gain, you're going to have to add more calories to your diet. By the time you reach your goal of 225, you might be eating 5500 calories, maybe 6000 just to maintain. You can't gain 25lbs by keeping your diet at the same level, it's going to take time and effort. And it's not going to come as fast as possible. If you gain a pound/week, you're doing a good job. Start there bro, and work your way up.

I was saying okay as in thanks for the advise.. But I see where your comming from. Thank for your help too. I have the hardest time trying to eat at my high school due to 5min class changes but since the start of the month when I started geeting serious with becoming a power lifter I've been eating as much as possiable in those 5min changes.

Aggression
12-03-08, 3:34 pm
I was saying okay as in thanks for the advise.. But I see where your comming from. Thank for your help too. I have the hardest time trying to eat at my high school due to 5min class changes but since the start of the month when I started geeting serious with becoming a power lifter I've been eating as much as possiable in those 5min changes.

School is tough man. But in reality I think its easier than some think. I had school from 7:20am-1:38pm in High school. That's about 6 total hours. If you're eating every 3 hours, it works out perfectly. Have breakfast before school, say 7:00am. Then eat on your lunch break, which for me was around 10-10:30. Then, I'd slam a weight gainer or something quick between classes, or even drink it during a class (around 12:00). Then when you get home, eat another solid mean. Right there, by 2pm, you're already on your 4th meal, which is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Wasteland
12-03-08, 4:49 pm
I would start with what your current caloric intake is and your macros.

What is macros??

Mt current intake is about 3500 calories but every day for the past week I've been increasing my caloric intake

Sorry, macros are macronutrients--protein, carbs, fats.

At 3500 cals, is that maintenance (e.g., no weight gain, no weight loss)?

MVP
12-03-08, 6:50 pm
The Hulk

You need 1g of protein per lb. of lean bodyweight. Extra protein is deposited as fat.

It's impossible to tell the amount of calories you need each and everyday. Everyday is not the same, you are a little more or a little less active each day.

Eat until you begin gaining weight. As you gain weight, you'll need to eat more.

thebrickhouse
12-03-08, 7:37 pm
As a lifter you need more than 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, for growth/ repair. I am also in the same boat having trouble getting in the meals that I need during school Agression has a good idea about the real gains shake, quality calories conviently.

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 9:59 pm
School is tough man. But in reality I think its easier than some think. I had school from 7:20am-1:38pm in High school. That's about 6 total hours. If you're eating every 3 hours, it works out perfectly. Have breakfast before school, say 7:00am. Then eat on your lunch break, which for me was around 10-10:30. Then, I'd slam a weight gainer or something quick between classes, or even drink it during a class (around 12:00). Then when you get home, eat another solid mean. Right there, by 2pm, you're already on your 4th meal, which is pretty damn good if you ask me.

That is pretty smart. My schools 7:00 to 2:15
I eat at 6:35(breafeast) and around 10:15(the only class I'm allowed to eat in) My luch is 12:00. I've been eating two chicken brest lately everyday. Then when I get how I eat again(2:25)

Today I've eating about 4750 calories and 300g protein and plan on keeping it around there for a week or so and seeing if I need more or less.

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 10:02 pm
As a lifter you need more than 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, for growth/ repair. I am also in the same boat having trouble getting in the meals that I need during school Agression has a good idea about the real gains shake, quality calories conviently.

I feel ya pain with not having time to eat at school. I'm going to try the gainer shake out for the rest of the week since I can eat in my 3rd period(10ish) I've gotten about 1.5g of protein today and plan on increasing it alittle more and finding out if thats enough to help we GROW!

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 10:03 pm
You need 1g of protein per lb. of lean bodyweight. Extra protein is deposited as fat.

It's impossible to tell the amount of calories you need each and everyday. Everyday is not the same, you are a little more or a little less active each day.

Eat until you begin gaining weight. As you gain weight, you'll need to eat more.

Thanks bro... Real talk. The diet section has helped me alot. (I've spent about 4 hours a day there)

The Hulk2011
12-03-08, 10:07 pm
Sorry, macros are macronutrients--protein, carbs, fats.

At 3500 cals, is that maintenance (e.g., no weight gain, no weight loss)?

For today: Calories about 4750, Protein: 300g, Fat: 20g

Average: Calories 3500 Protein: 150-175 Fat 25g.

I tried to eat everychance I could today and took in alot more calories and protein. I plan on eating the same for a week or so to find out if it's enough to help me GROW! Sound right?

Aggression
12-04-08, 9:55 am

I tried to eat everychance I could today and took in alot more calories and protein. I plan on eating the same for a week or so to find out if it's enough to help me GROW! Sound right?

Sounds like a good way to start. Spend a week eating that amount. Step on the scale on the last day of the week, fresh outta bed, and see if the weight is going up. If not, increase calories. If it is, keep it going until you stop gaining. Plain and simple.

Wasteland
12-04-08, 9:58 am

Do you typically deviate 1000+ calories from day to day? Or is this atypical?

The Hulk2011
12-04-08, 2:55 pm
Do you typically deviate 1000+ calories from day to day? Or is this atypical?

It's atypical. I've been trying to eat everytime I can and that why the 1000+ calories was for yesterday. So far I've eating about 3900 calories and 290g protein. I still have more meals to eat so I'll have aout 4500 to 4750 calories and 350g protein.

The Hulk2011
12-04-08, 2:56 pm
Sounds like a good way to start. Spend a week eating that amount. Step on the scale on the last day of the week, fresh outta bed, and see if the weight is going up. If not, increase calories. If it is, keep it going until you stop gaining. Plain and simple.

Okay, Thanks for the help bro. Let ya know if the weight goes up!

MVP
12-05-08, 1:27 pm

A non lifter doesn't need 1g of protein per lb. of lean bodyweight.

A typical lifter will need just that much. Too much protein can actually hurt you. It can cause kidney stones and other harmful infections. All you're doing by eating too much protein is adding to your bodyfat%.

thebrickhouse
12-05-08, 5:21 pm
A non lifter doesn't need 1g of protein per lb. of lean bodyweight.

A typical lifter will need just that much. Too much protein can actually hurt you. It can cause kidney stones and other harmful infections. All you're doing by eating too much protein is adding to your bodyfat%.

To each his own