PDA

View Full Version : Shakes vs. Bars - Protein

The Hulk2011
12-04-08, 3:11 pm
Hey brothers, Lately I've been eating bars and drinking shakes but if you had to choose one which one would it be? I know they both have things that make them differant and things they have alike but due to prices I'm going to have to choose one or the other and I want to know which ine you guys would pick and why?
So would it be a shake or bar?

Let me know

Thanks brothers!

hardworkE
12-04-08, 3:14 pm
Personally, I feel like bars fill me up more, but shakes have less artificial crap in them(usually). Thats just my opinion, I'm sure there are solid bars out there but I think that shakes are usually better for you. Also, digestion/absorption might have something to do with it.

The Hulk2011
12-04-08, 3:17 pm
Personally, I feel like bars fill me up more, but shakes have less artificial crap in them(usually). Thats just my opinion, I'm sure there are solid bars out there but I think that shakes are usually better for you. Also, digestion/absorption might have something to do with it.

Thanks, brother!

naturalguy
12-04-08, 3:33 pm
I agree. A lot of ingredients have to be put into bars in order to make them moist and taste good. Shakes are generally "cleaner" however either one is better than skipping a meal.

GJN5002
12-04-08, 3:40 pm
i like shakes because you can cutomize them. bars you get what you get and thats usually a candy bar with protein in it. Plus they get you for like 3-4 bucks for a bar with 30 g of protein, where as a 50 g shake will cost you under a dollar if you shop around.

sanga
12-04-08, 3:47 pm
Neither, solid food is where its at with a shake to wash it down, then have a bar for dessert.

Aggression
12-04-08, 3:51 pm
I'd go with protein powder, its more economical. Plus like someone else already said, you can customize it.

simpleguy
12-05-08, 6:15 am
definitely protein powder, waaay less crap in there (very few bars are actually good), and also you save a load of money

GJN5002
12-05-08, 1:35 pm
Neither, solid food is where its at with a shake to wash it down, then have a bar for dessert.
+ a 6 figure income to pay for it all

stumblin54
12-05-08, 4:24 pm
Powder fa sho, it's better for you all around.

Stumblin

mfl5027
12-05-08, 8:45 pm
I'm thinking along the same lines as sanga.

Food > powder > bars

futurefreak101
12-05-08, 10:10 pm
zero impact bars....only bars i use..look into those.

strivin for more
12-07-08, 8:25 pm
Id have to say Id want the shake over the Bars. Shakes typically have less preservitives and stuff in em, and less carb/sat fats (if thats what youre going for). but looks like im following the crowd on this one. food then shakes then bars.

The Hulk2011
12-07-08, 8:52 pm
Thanks for all the feedback!Keep em commin

Northman
12-08-08, 12:27 am
It depends on what you are using them for. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Here are just a couple.

Shakes

Pros: Better post workout. Faster absorbtion (usually, I'm assuming we're taking whey and not casein or soy) of protein allows you to get those much needed aminos in your bloodstream faster. You can easily add creating and waxi maize or dextrose to a shake. They are also great tasting! Nowadays it's hard to come across a bad tasting protein shake.

Cons: They go bad if you leave them out too long and if you don't have water with you due to bad planning it's tough choking down plain powder. Are there any more? Maybe you might complain if you have a small bladder.

Bars

Pros: No water needed! Great emergency rations to keep in a glove box or backpack (briefcase... whatever). Many also have added micronutrients. They are also good if you are watching a movie in a theater. They are easy to sneak in and it makes you feel like a "real person" eating a candy-bar at the movies.

Cons: Many so called "protein bars" are no better than the previously mentioned candy-bar. As previously stated in an above post many different bars contain lots of fillers that won't do anything for your physique. HFCS is one of those culprits. Keep your eye out for added creatine in bars too. I don't know how much of that creatine would still be intact as opposed to being turned into creatinine after all the processing. Also keep your eye out for soy protein if your worried about that sort of thing.

That's all I have time for now. I'd like to continue listing pros and cons, but I've got to eat some solid food... lasagna and steak (mmmmm).

BobbyB11
12-08-08, 2:25 pm
I agree with the candy bar comment, usually way too much sugar. My rule with bars is if it tastes to good, its not that good for me. I'd rather have a regular meal, then a shake, then a bar as a last resort.

phlex_ing
12-08-08, 4:28 pm
I agree real food is the best but itís hard to keep a steak in your back pocket when you are at work (people look at you funny when you do) If you canít eat food food and you can keep shakes cold or just from going bad I would go with shakes.

MVP
12-09-08, 12:50 am
Hey brothers, Lately I've been eating bars and drinking shakes but if you had to choose one which one would it be? I know they both have things that make them differant and things they have alike but due to prices I'm going to have to choose one or the other and I want to know which ine you guys would pick and why?
So would it be a shake or bar?

Let me know

Thanks brothers!

You don't have to choose one or another.

Shakes are good in the early morning (Whey) and late at night (MuscleMilk).

Protein bars are good during meals, or pre-workout.

I use both.