PDA

View Full Version : How does muscle tissue actually heal?

ralf_snake
12-07-08, 8:07 pm
Alright i know the standard talk from everyone with eat allot and sleep and youll be alright, but i wanna get more into it.
So how DOES muscle tisue actually heal. Anyone have an article for me? Google has totally failed me again.

redskin 344
12-07-08, 8:33 pm
Lifting weights in high volume damages the muscle fibers. The body releases hormones such as the human growth hormone where it uses protein synthesis to repair the muscle. And all the calories you consume gets converted to lean muscle mass.

Joseb
12-07-08, 9:07 pm
google hasnt failed!
have faith brother! lol
basically.. when your muscles suffer any kind of trauma/damage, your immune system sends out a complex group of signals that cause inflammation to isolate the "damaged" part of your muscle. There are these special cells called "Macrophages" that go and produce cytokines, growth factors, and other substances. The cytokines signal your body to send lymphocytes, monocytes, and other healer cells to the injury site to repair the damaged tissue. Then the cells that float around your muscles called satellite cells go in and fuse to form myoblasts. Myoblasts fuse with other myoblasts to turn into myostrains that in turn fuse to the damaged fibers to make it recover faster and bigger.

redskin 344
12-07-08, 9:29 pm
google hasnt failed!
have faith brother! lol
basically.. when your muscles suffer any kind of trauma/damage, your immune system sends out a complex group of signals that cause inflammation to isolate the "damaged" part of your muscle. There are these special cells called "Macrophages" that go and produce cytokines, growth factors, and other substances. The cytokines signal your body to send lymphocytes, monocytes, and other healer cells to the injury site to repair the damaged tissue. Then the cells that float around your muscles called satellite cells go in and fuse to form myoblasts. Myoblasts fuse with other myoblasts to turn into myostrains that in turn fuse to the damaged fibers to make it recover faster and bigger.

wow

ralf_snake
12-07-08, 9:48 pm
google hasnt failed!
have faith brother! lol

So how could you manipulate those Satellite Cells to work faster or get on the site more quickly?

redskin 344
12-07-08, 9:54 pm
So how could you manipulate those Satellite Cells to work faster or get on the site more quickly?

by taking advantage of your post workout window, I think.

MVP
12-08-08, 3:44 am
When you workout you rip your muscle tissus by tearing microtears in them.

Protein, water, and rest allow the muscle tissue to build back up. Creatine will help on this process if you take Creatine.

Calories does not convert to muscle mass. It converts to energy if you're active. Extra calories are stored as fat (reserved energy).

redskin 344
12-08-08, 2:04 pm

Protein, water, and rest allow the muscle tissue to build back up. Creatine will help on this process if you take Creatine.

Calories does not convert to muscle mass. It converts to energy if you're active. Extra calories are stored as fat (reserved energy).

What purpose do calories have in building muscle if it doesnt get converted to muscle mass?

Big Wides
12-08-08, 2:32 pm
What purpose do calories have in building muscle if it doesnt get converted to muscle mass?

Calories give your body, cells, organs the energy they need to do their thing. Even if you did absoulty shit you still need calories to function. That said when you take part in an activity that taxes the hell out of your CNS and body, your going to need a tad more than the next guy to help repair your body to bring it back. Everything has calories in it and it doesn't always get stored as fat. Since the stresses of training are great the extra goodies that you have floating around from the extra calories (protein, carbs, fats) will be used by other fibers, cells to not only repair but create new ones helping with recovery and growth. Which is why sleep and time away from the gym are crucial no matter if your adding size or melting down....your body is then at a relaxed state so it has time to create and use what you have given it to repair itself.

phlex_ing
12-08-08, 4:10 pm
google hasnt failed!
have faith brother! lol

Preach it Brother Joseb!!!! good info great post .

MVP
12-09-08, 12:46 am

Are you serious dude? You don't know why calories are important?

Complex carbohydrates are converted into glucose, it is then used for brain function and fueling muscle. Protein repairs muscle tissue. Extra protein, calories, not used by the body are stored in the form of fat.

Calories from fat are used for insulation, protection, energy, and keeping the body warm. Other functions, as well.

Protein = 4 calories
Carbohydrate = 4 calories
Fat = 9 calories.

GJN5002
12-09-08, 12:32 pm

creatine does not repair muscle damage. Its essentially a fuel source. Calories do convert to mass in a round about way. Calories serve as energy but also play other roles in the body. There is more to the equation than calories in vs out. By your definition i could eat my calories in doughnuts and it would have the same effect as calories of nothing but steak.

redskin 344
12-09-08, 12:44 pm
Are you serious dude? You don't know why calories are important?

Complex carbohydrates are converted into glucose, it is then used for brain function and fueling muscle. Protein repairs muscle tissue. Extra protein, calories, not used by the body are stored in the form of fat.

Calories from fat are used for insulation, protection, energy, and keeping the body warm. Other functions, as well.

Protein = 4 calories
Carbohydrate = 4 calories
Fat = 9 calories.

no i definatelly know calories are the one of the most iomportant things in muscle building. I wasnt too certain how they were. At first I thought it was because the muscles need a shitload of energy to lift heavy, then I read somewhere that the calories actually get converted to muscle, and now I know.

MVP
12-09-08, 12:57 pm
creatine does not repair muscle damage. Its essentially a fuel source. Calories do convert to mass in a round about way. Calories serve as energy but also play other roles in the body. There is more to the equation than calories in vs out. By your definition i could eat my calories in doughnuts and it would have the same effect as calories of nothing but steak.

I never said creatine repairs muscle tissue. I never said eat calories and doughnuts being just as good as healthy foods. I'm against eating foods like that. Protein repairs muscle tissue, carbohydrates convert to glucose which is later used by the body to fuel muscle growth and help with brain functioning. Fats are used for mainly insulation, energy, and keeping the body warm.

Calories are converted into energy, depended upon how active an individual is consists on how many calories are converted. Extra calories are stored in the form of fat. My message and your message isn't that different.

no i definatelly know calories are the one of the most iomportant things in muscle building. I wasnt too certain how they were. At first I thought it was because the muscles need a shitload of energy to lift heavy, then I read somewhere that the calories actually get converted to muscle, and now I know.

Calories do not get converted into muscle. They are converted into energy. Calories help with gaining size and strength. Your body cannot build muscle without them. If you are at catabolic state where you're not feeding your body the proper nutrients essential for muscle growth. Muscle breakdown begins to occur where your body steals nutrients from it's elements. Protein is stold from your muscles, calcium is stold from your bones, fat is being burned as a source of energy.

rev8ball
12-09-08, 1:00 pm
have faith brother! lol

Great post.
This is hypertrophy - the repairing and rebuilding of existing muscle fibers. And in regards to creatine, even though it is part of a fuel system, new research shows that it may indirectly help with hypertrophy. Because of its intra-muscular fluid retaining ability, it may actually help "hyper-stretch" the fibers, thereby forcing the body to over-repair the muscle, causing better hypertrophy.

On another note, Hyperplasia is the development of new muscle fibers. Despite what other supplement companies may guarantee about their products, it has never been witnessed in human tissue, though it has been seen in canine tissue (how we know it exists). However, in a totally accidental side-note finding in a recent study, some evidence implies that creatine MAY be partially involved in the over activation the satellite cells, forcing some level of hyperplasia. Indirect speculation, and nothing conclusive yet, but more research is currently be done in this direction.