PDA

View Full Version : stocking up

Iron 3
12-10-08, 12:29 am
Hey forvum, how're you all doing?

I'm planning on stocking up on some supps. I haven't had any in a while. I need to keep it simple, effective, and inexpensive. I'm looking strongly at all universal products and not just the Animal line. I want to buy as many bulk items as I can, as long as it wouldn't mean a significant / unreasonable decrease in quality. Bulk = more = more servings. More servings= product lasts longer = better consistency over a longer period of time. Better consistency = better progress. In my opinion, taking a slightly "worse" supplement (like universal's post workout supp Lava) consistently over a period of 4 months will give better results than taking a better supplement (like torrent) for only two months. However, there might not always be a big enough difference in the price to serving ratio to make a difference ( so unless you need to save the $3 difference there is between the price of lava and torrent to save your knees because of a gambling debt, it might be better to get the better supp.) ;)

The catagories are:

1. multivitamin- this will be Pak.

2 mass gainer / protein powder- I'm thinking real gains. Like Tiny says, protein helps you lean out, and I am not currently ingesting enough anyway. There isn't that much food around for me to eat all the time ( especially without my parents getting upset :(... LOL ). This should help.

3. Amino Acids- Either BCAA or EAA. I'm leaning towards BCAAs because they are the more important and effective aminos for strength gains. EAAs have BCAAs too, but less of them. There are A LOT!! of amino supps on universalnutrition.com Any suggestions? One of the products suprised me with the nutritional profile, I think it was the egg amino product.

4. Pre/post/during training- In this catagory the most radical thing I've ever taken was torrent which I like. However, the nutritional windows surrounding the training session have enjoyed increased popularity lately so there are now more products to chose from, like intra aid. I think I'm going to stick with torrent over intra aid because it is a post workout supp that can be used during training and even upon waking up (again, like Tiny says). Although it is heavier than some of you would like to ingest during a workout, it was not a problem for me when I used to take it during workouts. Unless I'm mistaken, intra aid doesn't have this level of flexibility. However, I am thinking about another non universal supplement for this catagory.

5. Essential fatty acids- I've only heard of Animal omega for this.

I'm 19 and I powerlift. I'm too young for testerone supps (like stack). And unless I'm mistaken, powerlifters have less of a need for products like animal pump. Also, I don't have money for "fancy" supplements (so to speak), and I need to keep it simple, basic and effective. Bang for your buck as they say.

I've listed the catagories in the order of what I think is the most important at the top. Pak is an obvious reason. There are aminos in protein. I figure if I have protein but can't afford an amino supp, I won't go completely without (I know that they are different amino 'forms' than what you would get in a separate amino supplement however). Aminos and protein can be taken together and can be used for my workout nutrition if I can't afford somethig like torrent. So as you can see, even though each catagory is fairly important, the "more important" catagories I listed can sort of roughly "make up for" catagories lower on the list if money runs out.

I'm also hoping I can develop some supplement "staples", (like Pak). Find the ones that work, chose the ones I like, and then just basically stock up on those from here on out instead of constantly trying to evaluate what I should buy.

I think I've covered everything. I'm sorry if this was too long, but I tried to be as understandable yet as specific as I could be. Thanks in advance to everyone who stops by to help. Remember, I want to max out the bang for my buck, as I'm sure everyone else who isn't sponsored does too when it comes to supps :).

Thank you for your help!
Train hard. Peace!

Cstlfx
12-10-08, 2:45 am
There's also Gain Fast 3100 from Universal. Its about the same price as Real Gains, but they're both different. You can take a look and decide which one fits your needs.

When it comes to me, I buy EAA over BCAA. They're essential amino acids because they're essential. Your body cant produce them. So go with EAA. Then, you could also buy a container of Liver Tabs, cheap and very effective.

If you only have money to buy protein or aminos, go with protein like you were thinking. Basically, pick a protein from Universal and go with it. They have a lot, they all work. Some are cheap, some are more pricey due to being fancy. There's egg, milk and egg

As for fatty acids, Animal Omega is the best. Universal has a few more that arent as complete. They have fish oil, flax seed oil, 3-6-9, and something else I cant remember.

Also, if money is an issue, there are a few sites that sell bulk supplements that arent specialized. Like complex carbs, plain ol protein, and aminos. No flavors and in bulk bags, but if you need to save money the option is there.

Enforcer will probably be around soon and set everything straight. Haha.

Tiny
12-10-08, 6:12 pm
I'm not quoting because it just isn't necc. I'm old(er) - not "old" but old(er) - so I am reading a little and as I see something I might like to chime in on I will then post a response - otherwise I will forget something if I were to read the whole post and endeavor to list comments. Anyway, as far as your considering another company's product for post workout recovery, if we are on the same wave length (and maybe we are not) I can imagine what product you are considering in place of Torrent and/or Lava and in all honesty, the other product does not stand up next to Torrent. I actually experimented, comparing Torrent with this other highly advertised, popular product and in the amounts I ingest, the "other" brand really did not lay well on my stomach - especially prior to or during a workout, AND most importantly, the other brand did not succeed in maintaining the same degree of muscle fullness which carb gram for carb gram, Torrent does. This is no bullshit - I literally could see and feel the difference, both in my pumps during the workout and throughout the regular day - the way I run my Torrent, I stay nice and full - really full - and the other brand just didn't keep me anywhere near as full. I am guessing it is the source of the simple carbs - in the end, I believe Torrent is simply a higher quality, better refined product. The devil really is in the details, and Torrent is perfect for what I do and need. I used to use Lava before the availability of Torrent, and if the difference in cost between the two became of issue, I would perhaps mix lava and Torrent together but I would not elliminate the Torrent. I would scratch BCAA's before I would withold spending the money on the Torrent. BCAA'a can be made up elsewhere - EASILY - but Torrent is a required staple for me and my efforts.

Tiny
12-10-08, 6:19 pm
1. Pak
2. Torrent
3. Real Gains

Some will be surprised I would place Torrent second and ahead of Real Gains but you could get protein from food sources and Torrent has 20 grams of whey per serving - Lava has what?? 32 grams per serving?? so you could buy one each and mix. You gotta have Pak, you gotta have water, you gotta have protein and you gotta have Torrent. If I could only use two supps it would be Pak and Torrent. Of course it would be easier and less expensive to have Real Gains on board as well and me, I do not have to do without any of them. If money is of issue, leave all the other add ons go and put your dollars right into these three - this is the most bang for the buck.

joe-yamma
12-10-08, 6:38 pm
Tiny, what are your thoughts on Omega?

personally, i've noticed great things from increasing my intake of "good fats" and Omega has become one of my "staple" supps.

Tiny
12-13-08, 12:41 pm
Tiny, what are your thoughts on Omega?

personally, i've noticed great things from increasing my intake of "good fats" and Omega has become one of my "staple" supps.

I actually utilize only a few supps and rely on diet to fill in the rest. BUT over the years I have experiemented with lots of varied supplementation and absolutely found many things quite advantageous. So if you have struck upon something which is affording you profitable gain which you otherwise would not enjoy, by all means drive that bus as far as it goes.

sanga
12-13-08, 1:42 pm
Top 3 for me are Pak, Flex and Omega.