PDA

View Full Version : Building my own weight room...

natty texan
12-11-08, 5:31 pm
I have no clue what this should go under but

I'm building my own weight room in my garage

thing is i'm a broke college kid...I play baseball for my junior college but we no longer have a weight room since ike happened

after talking to my coach he's going to give me a leave to train on my own

heres the thing. I have an old bench press where the angles can be adjusted with a built in leg extension thing...

i need a squat rack and i'm thinking about making one out of 4x4's

and i need suggestions for weights. I have 2 45's and a ton of 5's and 10's that were once my dads and one long chain that weighs about 50 pounds. i'm thinking about getting buckets and filling them with cement or buying some concrete blocks if they're cheap enough

any suggestion would be great

cstmgp
12-11-08, 5:42 pm
My first thought would be to check craigslist, sometimes you can find people almost giving weight away. I would also do an online search for used sporting goods stores in your area.(we have a chain called "Play it Again Sports")

Honestly, I think you will be able to find things at good prices, especially when you start pricing lumber and cement as well as other needed items such as screws etc..

Hope this helps,
shaun

natty texan
12-11-08, 5:53 pm
well my parents already gave me all the lumber and nails lol

we have play it again as well actually

i've never been there though

craigslist?

i'll give it a try

i'm weary on paying for shipping that can get expensive on those big things

Dingo
12-11-08, 5:55 pm
http://houston.craigslist.org/search/spo?query=WEIGHTS&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max
this is for houston area craigs list, best thing you can get is a squat/power cage, oly bar, adjustable oly size db handles and of course oly weights 2.5lbs through 45lb plates.

craigslist is like ebay, only cheaper and local. like an online garage sale.

cstmgp
12-11-08, 6:02 pm
Yeah, no shipping would be necessary, just look locally. If you are set on building your own rack, search the site, there was a thread a while back about a home made one from buckets of cement and lumber. Just be careful, and remember to keep it simple as you'll be applying lots of weight to it.
Shaun

natty texan
12-11-08, 6:06 pm
thank you :)

hopefully we'll have a good gym going in the next month