PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

xb24
02-09-07, 6:11 pm
Hey brothers looking for a little help.

Ever get those restless nights when your body still seems to be putting out adrenaline even though its like 2 AM and you just toss and fuckin turn for like 5 hours and finally fall asleep only to have to wake up an hour later and drag your sorry ass into work?

I had one of these nights and dreadful days today. Fuck if I keep this shit up i'm either gonna get hurt on the job because i'm a construction electrician or i'm gonna get fired.

Not only does it fuck me up at work, but i'm damn sure it aint helping my gains at all.

So what do you do when you have these nights? I try nytol but they keep droggy all day. And I know working out in the evening isnt ideal but there really isn't much alternative when you work 9 hour days starting at 7AM.

So help a brother out looking for some insight. What do you do to avoid these nights?

JUGGERNAUT
02-09-07, 6:17 pm
train around 8PM get home around 10 and collapse.. I still get my 8 hours in and after training like I do my body just turns off by it's self. I eat before I sleep and the carbs help keep you asleep.

LuvsThePain
02-09-07, 7:03 pm
Try taking melatonin before you go to bed too. I believe it's a natural sleep supplement or something. It helps ya to knock out and get some good rest.

Darius
02-09-07, 7:28 pm
I also work out in the evenings...work 12 hour days 8am to 8pm. Training at night helps me dump all the bullshit I had to put up with all day. Although I've just kind of gotten used to this schedule so I don't normally have a problem falling asleep, this may be the solution you're looking for.

The owner of my local supplement shop recommended ZMA tablets. I think one of the brands/names was MaxGrowth or some shit. In addition to giving you the ZMA's you need to heal your muscles it's supposed to put you to sleep within about 25 minutes after taking it. From what I was told and what I read, it will help you sleep a good 6 to 8 hours, so you don't have to worry about passing out for too long and missing work and shit.

Supposedly, they also tested this product at the university level and found that the guys that we're taking it noticed some serious strength gains. As I type this, I'm wondering why the hell I haven't tried this yet. I have a sample at the house, I'll give it a try tomorrow night and see what I think.

Hope this helps...

peterpyper
02-09-07, 7:29 pm
man i know how u feel when i had crazy hrs mon-fri i tend not to hang out with my boys on the weekend messes up my sleeping time,cant afford that dont wanna mess up my clock..happened couple of times just laying there cant sleep pisses me off like i wanna break my damn bed lol

Arbalest
02-09-07, 8:18 pm
Man, i know how you feel.. if you've ever read any of my posts about sleep, you'd know my schedule is fucked up as well.... 15hr overnighters/mornings -- straight to school -- back to work... 50-60+ hours a week of rotating schedule...

You NEED sleep.. i went for months on 3-4hours of sleep a night.. Last week, my body gave out on me.. My roommate took me to the hospital... Complete exhaustion... They gave me a super pill and told me to sleep until my body was rested.. 17hours straight!

Now i'm on Lunesta, just to get some quality sleep...

Do what it takes to get your rest bro!

Axe
02-09-07, 8:25 pm
Try a ZMA stack dude. (Zinc/Magnesium) After 1-3 days you will get very vivid dreams which indicate that you are getting a healthy dose of R.E.M. sleep. CRITICAL for your gains! The stuff will help you sleep and get a better sleep in the process.

xb24
02-09-07, 10:10 pm
wow bro's quick responses with a possible solution im scooting down to GNC, ill check out ZMA tomorrow..

Any known side effects? And whats the price range for it?

Axe
02-10-07, 9:22 am
ZMA can be expensive. $40 or more for 90 caps....so since the only ingredients are zinc and magnesium (and a small bit of B6) you can easily buy them seperately (on the cheap!) and make your own stack. 10mg Zinc and 150mg Magnesium.

3 times a day - between evening meals and at bed time.

Good luck bro!

Hollow
02-10-07, 10:00 am
wow bro's quick responses with a possible solution im scooting down to GNC, ill check out ZMA tomorrow..

Any known side effects? And whats the price range for it?

GNC has it for about $25. I found taking it about 30 - 45 mins before bed helps.

Giant Killer
02-10-07, 10:51 am
Benadryl works like a charm for me-pop 2 and about 30 minutes later can't keep my eyes open

xb24
02-10-07, 7:30 pm
just got back from GNC and yup they had it 25$ 90 caps.
we'll see how this goes, hopefully it has some good effects.

Rock05
02-10-07, 9:48 pm
yo bro i dont kno if u bought that shit form GNC yet complete waste of money...not the ZMA but buyin form GNC bulknutrition.com makes their own zma exact same raitos of ingredients like 8 bucks for 120 caps or somen thats what i do n yes it def helps with the sleep

Guate Tio
02-10-07, 11:29 pm
Buy some natural tea for insonmio it will help! it helps me..

bobbyj654
02-10-07, 11:43 pm
Benadryl works like a charm for me-pop 2 and about 30 minutes later can't keep my eyes open

Benadryl is like the bomb man, it knocks out, theyre like painkillers, they just knock you out

ExpertMode
02-11-07, 12:47 am
What up man, I just thought instead of pouring another "zma is good" post onto the thread you might want to hear some other views. Now I'm far from a supplement expert, but from what I've heard ZMA doesn't necessarily help you get to sleep, but it keeps you in a deeper sleep, with less waking up throughout the night. And the other thing is, that a lot of people say that the effect it has on sleep doesn't occur right away, so if you do in fact try it and it doesn't seem to work, don't dump it, give it a bit more time.

Hope I could help

Padre
02-11-07, 3:07 am
Melatonin.

It a natural sleep aid. It will not knock you out...but it will relax you to the point of being able to sleep.

Being on shift duty, I can relate to the occasional difficulty in gettiong proper sleep.

never_2_big
02-11-07, 3:35 am
Try a ZMA stack dude. (Zinc/Magnesium) After 1-3 days you will get very vivid dreams which indicate that you are getting a healthy dose of R.E.M. sleep. CRITICAL for your gains! The stuff will help you sleep and get a better sleep in the process.

my doc told me this would work so i tried it... works great u wake up feeling fully recovered. give it a try

xb24
02-11-07, 1:41 pm
Well after a night of trying the ZMA, I think i had some unusual dreams but it didnt help me get to sleep ill keep at it. Im sure it'll take a good while to get into the system.

curifer66
02-11-07, 9:25 pm
I have also had some problems not being able to fall asleep at night. Now when I can't fall asleep i take 6mg of melatonin and it puts me out. I think ZMA are supposed to help while your asleep but they dont help induce sleep.

Shark
02-12-07, 3:51 pm
Melatonin has a real weird effect on me. My doctor told me I should start poppin them so I bought a bottle. I took what he reccomended and it didn;t put me to sleep. If anything I felt even more restless than usual. The next day when I woke up I felt groggy as ALL hell. I could barely sit up. So after a few more days and more modifications as to how I took it I just threw the pills in the trash.

I have never tried ZMA but I am going to buy some tonight. Anything natural has to be better than my nyquil and ambien cocktails. Ill let you guys know how it went.

speedster00
02-12-07, 4:56 pm
I hate to say it but I havent noticed anything from taking ZMA. I take 2 caps once a day about 30 minutes before bed. ben on it about 3 weeks now. I notice a thing. But I did recently discover Advil PM. It helps with the soreness and puts me out.

Shark
02-12-07, 7:35 pm
Be careful with the certain pain killers you guys take. They just released a study showing that ibuprofen actually hurt muscle gains. It was published in the February 07' Muscle and Fitness. In the sports medical section.

Anabolic_Canuck
02-12-07, 7:53 pm
Hey Bro`s....50mg of 5-HTP about 30-45 minutes before you go to bed...
gives me a deep resful sleep night after night...you can buy it at GNC.

k1usa
02-12-07, 9:02 pm
the harder I train...the harder it is to sleep...with being 53...and seems the older I get the less sleep I need....its a bitch to work on.....but....sometimes I do a decaf tea.....its one thing that gets me to relax....I gotta tell you guys though...this sleeping thing is a real challenge....

wño
02-13-07, 1:00 am
how many hours do you sleep The House? Sgt. Rock, G. Diesel and all the pros ? :D ?

hjayss
02-13-07, 7:36 am
Hey brothers looking for a little help.

Ever get those restless nights when your body still seems to be putting out adrenaline even though its like 2 AM and you just toss and fuckin turn for like 5 hours and finally fall asleep only to have to wake up an hour later and drag your sorry ass into work?

I had one of these nights and dreadful days today. Fuck if I keep this shit up i'm either gonna get hurt on the job because i'm a construction electrician or i'm gonna get fired.

Not only does it fuck me up at work, but i'm damn sure it aint helping my gains at all.

So what do you do when you have these nights? I try nytol but they keep droggy all day. And I know working out in the evening isnt ideal but there really isn't much alternative when you work 9 hour days starting at 7AM.

So help a brother out looking for some insight. What do you do to avoid these nights?
Write down what you did and what annoyed you that day breathe deeply turn on some soft boring music your mind is movind a hundred miles a minute calm it down candles long hot bath man I know it sounds like some female stuff, but it works my wife got me stated on this because I am a hard sleeper bro I wake up every three hours I toss and turn aww man. hope this helps you bro.

v8ftmfw
10-03-08, 3:03 am
I dont know what happent, I just cant sleep until mabe 2-3am and wake up at 11. any tip to sleep better ?

My last meal was 11, chicken, cottage cheese, and protein shake, 2 potato and by the time 2-3am I felt hungry again, so I have to eat again, that when I felt sleep.

sanga
10-03-08, 3:46 am
You could try taking the amino Tryptophane.

I`m on keto and don`t sleep anywhere near the amount of time I used to when on carbs, I used to have to get 8-9 hrs but now on keto I get around 6-7 and feel great all the time with loads of energy.

JMC
10-03-08, 8:20 am
I take a melatonin supp every night. I would wake up a few times a night at least and never get a full nights sleep before. Now, I can get a full 8 easy without getting up once.

Iron4Life
10-03-08, 9:07 am
x2 on the melatonin..its a great supplement...add in a little zma and your good to go

Cellerator65
10-03-08, 9:38 am
zma pro... when do u work out? and if at night, do u take an pre w/o caffine?

tom10
10-03-08, 9:49 am
this might sound like sacrilege but i think you may be eating too much protein before bed. it's been shown it studies to disrupt sleep. maybe cut out one of the three protein sources you're taking before bed. i would suggest cutting the chicken but just my opinion.

additionally, try getting up 30 minutes earlier than the day before for a few consecutive days. i.e.

get up at 11 today
get up at 10.30 tomorrow
get up at 10 third day
get up at 9.30 fourth day
etc etc

this might help you adjust your sleep cycles in a more managable way.

futilekyle
10-03-08, 10:28 am
I'd have to support the melatonin, I take it when I need to and it knocks me out

v8ftmfw
10-03-08, 11:52 am
Thanks guy for the rely, where I can get this melatonin pill ?

TylerC
10-03-08, 12:07 pm
yea i need help getting to sleep to. I'm at college and unfortunately my schedule looks like this.

Monday morning-Legs
Tuesday-off
Wednesday morning-Chest
Thursday afternoon-shoulders
friday morning-back

Thursday night is the worst night out the week. I work out around 5-6 pm thursday evening (only time i have) and then i get up and do back friday morning at 6 am. I just can't get to sleep on thursday nights. Sometimes it's been 3-4 am before i get to sleep (go to bed around 9:30-10), last night it was around 1am before i finally get to sleep, and waking up at 5:45 AM gets kinda rough.

Thanks for the info about the melatonin pill. I'm taking a sleep aid now but it doesn't do the full job.

S-Temple
08-15-10, 10:33 am
Any of you brothers can share me a secret or 2 on how to sleep better ? Been having problems sleeping these 2 weeks like waking up in the middle of the night. It hasn't damage performance but just kinda scared it mess with my gains.

Thrawn
08-15-10, 10:47 am
Any of you brothers can share me a secret or 2 on how to sleep better ? Been having problems sleeping these 2 weeks like waking up in the middle of the night. It hasn't damage performance but just kinda scared it mess with my gains.

Got two words for you =)

Animal PM =)

The Misfit
08-15-10, 11:01 am
Sleep problems. I had the same issue as you, constantly waking up at odd hours of the night. It still happens, just not as bad as what it used to be.

My newest problem is Insomnia. This has really put my sleeping patterns out of place. Throughout the week my sleep patterns constantly change. It's 3am in the morning now and I'm wide awake.

I'll do well to invest in a can of PM.

S-Temple
08-16-10, 3:33 am
I take Animal PM but still can't sleep. Its my 3rd can :)

Brick By Brick
08-16-10, 3:43 am
Have you tried beer? But seriously, do you think it's any kind of sleep disorder? Sleep apnea? Anxiety? If you're exercising regularly and don't know why you aren't sleeping well, you might consider consulting your physician. Just my humble opinion.

Sprint
08-16-10, 4:43 am
Try curling up with a book, or some music. Stuff to let your mind wander.

Failing that, get plenty of fresh air during the day. When I've been outside doing stuff, as opposed to being inside, I'm wiped long before I get to bed & sleep really well as a result.

The Misfit
08-16-10, 6:13 am

3rd can! I'll have to give it a go anyways. But wow, 3rd can and doesn't help? I guess some people respond differently to different things.

Have you tried beer? But seriously, do you think it's any kind of sleep disorder? Sleep apnea? Anxiety? If you're exercising regularly and don't know why you aren't sleeping well, you might consider consulting your physician. Just my humble opinion.

My best bet is anxiety. Did some research (reading), took an online test.

http://www.sleeptracks.com/?gclid=CNi0lOLevaMCFRhaiAodoGWOdg

It's anxiety. I'm thinking too much while trying to fall asleep.

Legacy
08-16-10, 10:08 am
Maybe you need a new bed bro. Are you sleeping on those spring mattresses too? Tell ya what invest in a tempurpedic, although highly priced for a mattress, you will get your best sleep. Hell part of this game is sleep so you need your rest. Take a look at your mattress bro cause that could be the problem. Commonly overlooked as a reason people can't sleep.

Redbeard
08-16-10, 11:50 am
Well, rubbin' one out before hitting the sack helps sometimes.

The Misfit
08-16-10, 11:51 am
Maybe you need a new bed bro. Are you sleeping on those spring mattresses too? Tell ya what invest in a tempurpedic, although highly priced for a mattress, you will get your best sleep. Hell part of this game is sleep so you need your rest. Take a look at your mattress bro cause that could be the problem. Commonly overlooked as a reason people can't sleep.

I think I may be sleeping on a spring mattress. I stay in a family apartment by myself so I'm moving from bed to bed to the couch. Sometimes one is more comfortable than the other. Most times I'll wake because, my neck will cramp or back, posture problems, I my arms numb out so I have to spread them flat. Geez, I sound like an old man.
Sleep, it seems such a simple concept but I just find it difficult. Maybe it's all in my head? All I know is that it needs to be fixed. I'm open to any and all ideas.

I'll have a look around the bed stores. Might also look into those memory foam mattresses.

Sprint
08-16-10, 7:20 pm
I used to sell beds, including memory foam mattresses. Yeah they may help UNLESS you struggle to sleep when it's hot. Memory foam mattresses really make you hot in bed as you sink into it a bit and it kind of comes up around your sides a bit as it moulds around you. Just a quick heads up there. Apart from the heat thing, they're good. Only reason I don't have 1 is because I like being really cold in bed. As in, my window is open 12 months of the year.

S-Temple
08-25-10, 4:15 am
Still wondering. Now I can sleep like 4 hours deep sleep then I will wake up and go right back to sleep. Does it effect my gains ?

Sprint
08-25-10, 7:02 am
Still wondering. Now I can sleep like 4 hours deep sleep then I will wake up and go right back to sleep. Does it effect my gains ?

If you're waking up naturally then it shouldn't have too much of a negative effect. Especially if you're getting some really deep sleep in there.

Razor
08-25-10, 7:37 am
Got one hour of sleep last night if that....had a protein shake around 9 pm then small food at 930. stomach was making noises all night. couldn't sleep at all it was horrible. to top it all off i'm out of PM.

Sprint
08-25-10, 10:50 am
My mum went on holiday to Wales a few months back with her sister, stayed in a little cottage. She came back with some weird blue/green powdery stone things that smell all fragrant. Said if you shake the box to break the stones up a bit, then leave the lid off all night, they help you sleep. Apparently it worked for her.

Having said that, she did spend the week walking up & down the Welsh hills, mountains and valleys.

But she was adamant it was the stones...

I'll try and find the name of them...

S-Temple
09-10-10, 1:39 pm
I get 8 hours of sleep now since its my holiday but its not so nice because it's not deep sleep. I tend to wake up a few times. In total its still 8 hours of sleep. Is this perfectly fine ?

machineman
09-10-10, 3:28 pm

May be time to see the Doc.....

Sprint
09-10-10, 3:33 pm
My mum went on holiday to Wales a few months back with her sister, stayed in a little cottage. She came back with some weird blue/green powdery stone things that smell all fragrant. Said if you shake the box to break the stones up a bit, then leave the lid off all night, they help you sleep. Apparently it worked for her.

Having said that, she did spend the week walking up & down the Welsh hills, mountains and valleys.

But she was adamant it was the stones...

I'll try and find the name of them...

Never did find the name of those things.

All I can tell you is they had camamile & lavender in them.