PDA

View Full Version : IRBS' New Log

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

IRBS
12-13-08, 6:51 pm
New log to start the new year (a little early, but whatever). My last meet didnt turn out like I wanted, so it's time to fix things. We have about 11 weeks until our next meet. I started back training the Monday after the meet last week. Carter started back up today. We've got a relatively short turn around for the March meet, and an even shorter turn around for the meet after that. Here are the last 2 sessions:

MEish BENCH

Raw Bench:
barx30
135x10
225x5
315x3
1-board:
365x3
385x2
405x1

Steep Incline DB Press w/green band behind back:
45'sx8
55'sx8
55'sx8

Side Laterals ss with reverse peck deck:
3 sets of 12 on each

Bench Rep Outs:
225x20 - left quite a few in the tank

CS Rows ss with Pams Facing Pulldowns:
3 sets of 10 on each

Seated Cable Rows:
3 sets of 8

DB Curls ss with Dip Machine:
3 sets on each, reps were 15-8

Carter is still off recovering from the meet. He will be back full force Saturday morning. Lifted with Mason tonight. Worked up to a fairly ugly 405 to a 1-board. You can tell I havent been raw benching for a while, LOL. The other reps were decent. Did a bunch of accessory work after benching. Then did a very easy 225x20, LOL. Full Lockouts on each rep. I have no idea what I couldve maxed on the rep outs...who cares, LOL. Squatting on Saturday.

Solid,
IRBS
-------------------------------------------------------------

ME SQ/DL

SSB Box Squats against Choked Greens:
barx8
165x6
255x3
added briefs:
345x3
395x1
425x1
475x1
Single Ply Suit:
525x1 - I think this is a PR

Block Pulls:
135x3
225x3
315x3
405x3
495x3
545x1

Seated SSB GMs:
barx15
155x12
155x10
155x10
155x10

Knee Raises:
4 sets of 8

Good session today. We had 4 lifters, which was awesome. This was Carter's first day back in the gym since the meet so he didnt go balls out, he is easing his way back into it. Mason hit some solid numbers today and so did John. Today was John's first day in gear ever and he hit 396 plus choked greens on his squats, awesome!

Progress,
IRBS

Here is Video of this training session. We were 4 strong today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RvegySMCHQ

prowrestler
12-13-08, 7:00 pm
training lookin good

that guy carter made those weights look easy,its scary!

Elite
12-13-08, 7:02 pm
Subbed, i love your journeys. Great attitude, great training and good eating. Onwards & upwards, like an Oreo production line.... >0>0>0>0>0>

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-13-08, 7:45 pm
I definately gotta dub to a fellow powerlifters journey. I'll be watchin this one closely to see if i can pick up any tipps to help me out. Stay strong bro

IRBS
12-14-08, 2:50 pm
training lookin good

that guy carter made those weights look easy,its scary!

Yeah, Carter has a 925 Squat at 220 and a 953 at 242...Were working on getting him to a Grand over the next 6mo to a year at 220.

Subbed, i love your journeys. Great attitude, great training and good eating. Onwards & upwards, like an Oreo production line.... >0>0>0>0>0>

I definately gotta dub to a fellow powerlifters journey. I'll be watchin this one closely to see if i can pick up any tipps to help me out. Stay strong bro

Thanks fellas.

J-Dawg
12-14-08, 4:42 pm
In for the new log IRBS. Looking to pick up some PL tips.

mark
12-14-08, 6:33 pm
Good job on keeping your upper back tighter while squatting fatty.

IRBS
12-15-08, 10:29 am
In for the new log IRBS. Looking to pick up some PL tips.
Thanks J

Good job on keeping your upper back tighter while squatting fatty.

LOL, thanks Mark. Youre just jealous!

mark
12-15-08, 2:33 pm
Shit, I've been hitting the chocolate chip cookies and egg nog hard since coming home... I'm glad to say my 6 pack is slowly disappearing...

IRBS
12-15-08, 2:37 pm
Shit, I've been hitting the chocolate chip cookies and egg nog hard since coming home... I'm glad to say my 6 pack is slowly disappearing...

LOL, good to hear!

IRBS
12-16-08, 10:49 am
Posted a few pictures from the meet at: http://huntsvillemethod.wordpress.com/

Well, I have been pretty sick the past couple days. I have, for lack of a better term, "had it coming out of both ends..." LOL. I had maybe 1000 calories from Saturday afternoon until about noon on Monday. Didnt really even get out of bed much. I just wasnt hungry and couldnt keep anything down. I drank over a gallon of gatorade everyday to try to keep my fluid levels up. Went to the doc yesterday and he said I just caught a bug, no flu or anything. Feeling better today. Going to try to lift tonight. We'll see how it goes.

I've lost about 8lbs I think. At the docs my BP was 100/70...not bad for 6'3, 270-275lbs...LOL

prowrestler
12-16-08, 11:02 am
Yeah, Carter has a 925 Squat at 220 and a 953 at 242...Were working on getting him to a Grand over the next 6mo to a year at 220.

that would be a massive lift at 220. im not too familiar with the standards but a 1000 pound squat sounds damn impressive at 220. like 4.5 times his bodyweight.
sounds like he can get to 1000 in that time frame, the guy sounds like a squat machine that cant be stopped. good luck to him.

hope you can recover fast from the cold/bug thing and hit it hard in the gym.
p.s. the cycle that you gave me, im liking it so far, im up in wieght again but leaner this time and im makeing all the goals i set for myself so far. i dont see myself deloading anytime soon. hope thats ok

IRBS
12-16-08, 11:10 am
that would be a massive lift at 220. im not too familiar with the standards but a 1000 pound squat sounds damn impressive at 220. like 4.5 times his bodyweight.
sounds like he can get to 1000 in that time frame, the guy sounds like a squat machine that cant be stopped. good luck to him.

hope you can recover fast from the cold/bug thing and hit it hard in the gym.
p.s. the cycle that you gave me, im liking it so far, im up in wieght again but leaner this time and im makeing all the goals i set for myself so far. i dont see myself deloading anytime soon. hope thats ok

That should be fine. Glad its working well for you.

IRBS
12-17-08, 9:02 am
SQ/DL Accessory

Raw Squats:
barx8
135x8
225x5
315x5
315x5
365x5

Reverse Band Deadlifts (Conventional):
245x3
335x3
425x1
added singly ply suit:
515x1
565x1
605x1
655x1 - I think this is a PR

GHR:
4 sets of 8

Band Adductor:
4 sets of 8

Wide Stance Pull Throughs:
4 sets of 8

Knee Raises:
4 sets of 8

So, I trained tonight, felt pretty good most of the night. On my last 2 sets of squats I started feeling the fact that I've been sick as hell for the past few days, but I made it through. Went on to the pulls and hit 655 for a solid single. Then assistance work. Pretty good night.

2 Wendy's Double Stacks and a Monster pre-workout,
IRBS

mark
12-17-08, 10:52 am
Strong work Will.

What kind of band did y'all use for the pulls?

IRBS
12-17-08, 11:01 am
Strong work Will.

What kind of band did y'all use for the pulls?

Thanks mark. We used Blues. We set them at about eye level for Carter, so the bands come very close to complete deload at the top, especially for me, LOL.

We have figured out a really good Deadlift Cycle. Every-other week we do reverse band pulls on our SQ/DL accessory (we do raw Squats for some volume to warm up before hand). The weeks in between we do DE Squats against bands and some other pull variant. On the RB weeks, we rotate a Blue, then Green, then Purple. The idea is that you continually try to hit close to the same numbers each time, with less band tension. This is never supposed to be a Max Effort...we try to stay below 90%, but sometimes creep up a little bit. We usually run 2 cycles of this and then pull from the floor at the end. This last cycle put 50lbs on my deadlift and at least that much on Carter's. It really works well.

mark
12-17-08, 11:52 am
When you say that y'all stayed below 90%, is that based off of your raw pull, or an estimate of what you can pull with that band setting?

IRBS
12-17-08, 11:58 am
When you say that y'all stayed below 90%, is that based off of your raw pull, or an estimate of what you can pull with that band setting?

An estimate of that band setting. If your rep is too slow, youre done or you go down in weight. We take smaller jumps on the way up, so as to get more volume in as well as better gauge our speed with the weights as we climb so that we dont get too close to ME work.

As a result, we do a lot of pulling, but we dont get overtrained because we are only really pulling "heavy" every other week.

mark
12-17-08, 2:04 pm
An estimate of that band setting. If your rep is too slow, youre done or you go down in weight. We take smaller jumps on the way up, so as to get more volume in as well as better gauge our speed with the weights as we climb so that we dont get too close to ME work.

As a result, we do a lot of pulling, but we dont get overtrained because we are only really pulling "heavy" every other week.

Word... Have you noticed any decrease in bottom end strength? Just asking because I had that problem with reverse bands in the past

IRBS
12-17-08, 2:16 pm
Word... Have you noticed any decrease in bottom end strength? Just asking because I had that problem with reverse bands in the past

Not yet. One thing that we usually do is on our ME Squat days, we pull off of plates (usually at a 1-2in deficit) after we squat, usually for speed or up to a percentage, so we get a lot of bottom end work there and a lot of time under tension.

We pull at least once a week, most of the time 2 times a week in some way. It's never a max pull (We never take absolute max pulls in training...or at least we try not to), but we pull more than many people advocate pulling and have seen very good results from it the past 12-16 weeks.

This has all evolved over 12-16 weeks of our last cycle, so it was a lot of trial and error, but I think we have found something that works really well.

mark
12-17-08, 2:53 pm
Not yet. One thing that we usually do is on our ME Squat days, we pull off of plates (usually at a 1-2in deficit) after we squat, usually for speed or up to a percentage, so we get a lot of bottom end work there and a lot of time under tension.

We pull at least once a week, most of the time 2 times a week in some way. It's never a max pull (We never take absolute max pulls in training...or at least we try not to), but we pull more than many people advocate pulling and have seen very good results from it the past 12-16 weeks.

This has all evolved over 12-16 weeks of our last cycle, so it was a lot of trial and error, but I think we have found something that works really well.

Gotcha...

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing 2 days of pulling when i get back to lifting on my own. I was thinking of one day sumo standing off of a plates for sets of 5-8 (doing this mostly to bring up hip strength, and possibly occassionally reverse band for some change), and the other day doing band pulls standing on the plates like you do for singles and triples but always avoiding a max.

IRBS
12-17-08, 2:58 pm
Gotcha...

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing 2 days of pulling when i get back to lifting on my own. I was thinking of one day sumo standing off of a plates for sets of 5-8 (doing this mostly to bring up hip strength, and possibly occassionally reverse band for some change), and the other day doing band pulls standing on the plates like you do for singles and triples but always avoiding a max.

Sounds like a solid plan.

We were talking with Louie at the meet and he said they have really started hitting ultra wide sumo stiff legged pulls as assistance after they squat and that has really brought up hip strength in the guys up there.

mark
12-17-08, 3:04 pm
really...

Might have to give those a shot too...

Did he give you guys any other tips for squats and deads?

IRBS
12-17-08, 3:08 pm
really...

Might have to give those a shot too...

Did he give you guys any other tips for squats and deads?

He was just preaching hip strength and talking about getting Panora to a full 275...then we talked about fighting for a little while. The ultra wide sumos and doing extra sessions for recovery were really the only "tips" we got from him. Mostly we just BS'd with him for a while between the benches and deadlifts, LOL.

Then he smoked a 605 sumo deadlift...

mark
12-17-08, 3:34 pm
lol... word... thanks

prowrestler
12-17-08, 4:13 pm
SQ/DL Accessory

Raw Squats:
barx8
135x8
225x5
315x5
315x5
365x5

Reverse Band Deadlifts (Conventional):
245x3
335x3
425x1
added singly ply suit:
515x1
565x1
605x1
655x1 - I think this is a PR

GHR:
4 sets of 8

Band Adductor:
4 sets of 8

Wide Stance Pull Throughs:
4 sets of 8

Knee Raises:
4 sets of 8

So, I trained tonight, felt pretty good most of the night. On my last 2 sets of squats I started feeling the fact that I've been sick as hell for the past few days, but I made it through. Went on to the pulls and hit 655 for a solid single. Then assistance work. Pretty good night.

2 Wendy's Double Stacks and a Monster pre-workout,
IRBS

nice day man, your still lookin strong after the cold you had.
gotta say, the pre workout meal sounds bad ass! im honestly hungry after reading it and i work beside a wendys unfortunatly.

IRBS
12-17-08, 4:20 pm
nice day man, your still lookin strong after the cold you had.
gotta say, the pre workout meal sounds bad ass! im honestly hungry after reading it and i work beside a wendys unfortunatly.

Thanks. I hadnt eaten too much all day, still havent gotten my appetite back, so it was all I could do to force those down.

prowrestler
12-17-08, 4:27 pm
Thanks. I hadnt eaten too much all day, still havent gotten my appetite back, so it was all I could do to force those down.

you could try adding in spicey foods to your diet untill you do. take a spoon of hot sauce after each meal and add a little bit of sugar to each meal. trick is to do it with every meal execpt the 2 before bed. it will keep insulin levels a little higher then normal and you will get hungry way faster.
and wendys probably doesnt hurt lol.

IRBS
12-19-08, 12:41 am
ME BENCH

Reverse Green Band Bench:
barx20 (no bands)
225x8
315x3
365x3
405x1
added shirt:
495x1 - 2-board, no touch
585x1 - no touch
played with my setup a bit
545x1 - 1-board, no touch
585x1 - this was less than a half inch from touching, see video

Incline Bench:
135x8x2 sets
185x5

Palms Facing Pulldowns:
5 sets of 8

Dip Machine:
6 sets of 20-12 reps

DB Curls:
8 sets of 12-5 reps

DB Rear Delts:
4 sets of 8

Side Laterals:
a couple sets

Knee Raises:
2 sets

Pretty good session tonight. First shirted day for me in about 3 weeks. First heavy day in over 4 weeks. I could tell its been a while. Need to reacclimate the CNS a bit I think, LOL. Had to play with my set up some tonight, and I got the closest Ive ever gotten to touching in the Katana. On my last set with 585, I touched the Miniband I had wrapped around me, which means I was less than a half inch from touching. I'll keep working it down, but I may try to get a 52 Katana and try.

Good night,
IRBS

Video from tonights session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnpC5rSe47c

prowrestler
12-19-08, 1:14 am
ME BENCH

Reverse Green Band Bench:
barx20 (no bands)
225x8
315x3
365x3
405x1
added shirt:
495x1 - 2-board, no touch
585x1 - no touch
played with my setup a bit
545x1 - 1-board, no touch
585x1 - this was less than a half inch from touching, see video

Incline Bench:
135x8x2 sets
185x5

Palms Facing Pulldowns:
5 sets of 8

Dip Machine:
6 sets of 20-12 reps

DB Curls:
8 sets of 12-5 reps

DB Rear Delts:
4 sets of 8

Side Laterals:
a couple sets

Knee Raises:
2 sets

Pretty good session tonight. First shirted day for me in about 3 weeks. First heavy day in over 4 weeks. I could tell its been a while. Need to reacclimate the CNS a bit I think, LOL. Had to play with my set up some tonight, and I got the closest Ive ever gotten to touching in the Katana. On my last set with 585, I touched the Miniband I had wrapped around me, which means I was less than a half inch from touching. I'll keep working it down, but I may try to get a 52 Katana and try.

Good night,
IRBS

Video from tonights session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnpC5rSe47c

very good pressing man, looksl ike you shook the cold off, regardless, 585 pounds after a cold and bad eating is alot of weight.
ive never doen shirted work but is it the shirt itself that prevented you from touching?

thats alot of volume man, good job, must be the wendys double burgers. i gotta get some

mark
12-19-08, 1:19 am
Solid work bro... Nice volume with that assistance work...

Can you get the bar down any quicker man? You really take your time with it...

Also, have you tried setting up onto your traps/neck? That will help you shorten your stroke some too.

Also, have you tried driving hard with your legs the entire lift? That might help you meet the bar a little more, and give you some additional stability.

Although, tighter is not always better...

-mark

IRBS
12-19-08, 9:12 am
very good pressing man, looksl ike you shook the cold off, regardless, 585 pounds after a cold and bad eating is alot of weight.
ive never doen shirted work but is it the shirt itself that prevented you from touching?

thats alot of volume man, good job, must be the wendys double burgers. i gotta get some

Yeah, its the shirt. Its starts locking up and just stops the bar if theres not enough weight.

Solid work bro... Nice volume with that assistance work...

Can you get the bar down any quicker man? You really take your time with it...

Also, have you tried setting up onto your traps/neck? That will help you shorten your stroke some too.

Also, have you tried driving hard with your legs the entire lift? That might help you meet the bar a little more, and give you some additional stability.

Although, tighter is not always better...

-mark

I do drop the bar fairly slowly, and I am working on getting faster, I just feel sloppy when I get too fast, but I am working on it. I am trying a bunch of different stuff everytime I get into a shirt, just to see what works for me. When I try to get a bigger arch, I just fell unstable as hell. I really think I need a shirt one size larger, just so I can get a bit more comfortable when I get the bar inside of the 2-1board levels. Right now the shirt is so locked up I nearly blackout. I'm just not strong enough for that yet.

Thanks mark.

mark
12-19-08, 2:52 pm
No problem bro... Sounds like you need a bigger shirt.

brandonA
12-19-08, 3:09 pm
If you do the ultra wide sumo SDL's, make sure your toes straight and not pointed out (like a typical sumo). I found that they hit the inside of your thighs too much and not enough hammy if you have your toes out....Other than that, they rock, keep the weight a bit lighter and fire the hips thru, squeeze the ass...you know the drill......

-B

IRBS
12-19-08, 5:31 pm
No problem bro... Sounds like you need a bigger shirt.

Yeah, I think that is gonna be the key. I really need a shirt that I can open around 500 on, and right now I just dont see that happening with the one I have. The Katana is a beast and I think mine is a hair too small...

If you do the ultra wide sumo SDL's, make sure your toes straight and not pointed out (like a typical sumo). I found that they hit the inside of your thighs too much and not enough hammy if you have your toes out....Other than that, they rock, keep the weight a bit lighter and fire the hips thru, squeeze the ass...you know the drill......

-B

Word. Thanks for the tip B!

IRBS
12-20-08, 9:17 pm
ME SQ/DL

Arch Bar Squats:
barx8
145x8
245x3
briefs:
335x3
385x3
425x1
475x1
515x1
(Carter bent the arch bar after this set so we switched back to the Texas Power Bar)
515x1

Ultra Wide Sumo Pulls (Stiff Leg for all but the set I missed):
255x3
255x3
345x3
395x3
435x3
485xmiss - I suck at Sumo pulling, LOL! I had no leg drive on this set

Superset Set:
SSB GM's:
155x8
155x8
205x5
245x5

GHR's:
4 sets of 8

Triple Set:
Farmers Walks:
245x90 feet for 2 sets
295x90 feet for 1 set

Hanging Knee Raises:
3 sets

Calves:
3 sets

I am spent. Carter bent the Arch Bar he won at the meet with 666 on the bar. He waspretty pissed. Turns out it was a piece of crap prize evidently...anyway. Pretty solid day. All squats were walked out like a USPF meet out of our hydro jacks that we have. I was solid on every set, so its a start for this training cycle. Bout to watch a movie and get my grub on.

Squats make you strong,
IRBS

T o m m Y
12-20-08, 9:32 pm
Strong Stuff Bro!

How Do You Like Sumo Over Conv?

mark
12-20-08, 10:15 pm
Solid work on the squats bro. Were you stiff legging the pulls on purpose, or was that just the way they happened?

prowrestler
12-20-08, 10:50 pm
ME SQ/DL

Arch Bar Squats:
barx8
145x8
245x3
briefs:
335x3
385x3
425x1
475x1
515x1
(Carter bent the arch bar after this set so we switched back to the Texas Power Bar)
515x1

Ultra Wide Sumo Pulls (Stiff Leg for all but the set I missed):
255x3
255x3
345x3
395x3
435x3
485xmiss - I suck at Sumo pulling, LOL! I had no leg drive on this set

Superset Set:
SSB GM's:
155x8
155x8
205x5
245x5

GHR's:
4 sets of 8

Triple Set:
Farmers Walks:
245x90 feet for 2 sets
295x90 feet for 1 set

Hanging Knee Raises:
3 sets

Calves:
3 sets

I am spent. Carter bent the Arch Bar he won at the meet with 666 on the bar. He waspretty pissed. Turns out it was a piece of crap prize evidently...anyway. Pretty solid day. All squats were walked out like a USPF meet out of our hydro jacks that we have. I was solid on every set, so its a start for this training cycle. Bout to watch a movie and get my grub on.

Squats make you strong,
IRBS

very good day IRBS

its cool to see you doin farmers walks man, with nearly 300 pounds per hand, thats strength. shit. how do you do them? do you have a farmers walk bar?

the ultra wide sumo pulls, thats what louie reccomends for hip strength eh? how do you like them?

IRBS
12-21-08, 9:30 am
Strong Stuff Bro!

How Do You Like Sumo Over Conv?

I hate Sumo with a passion, but I need to do it because I have weak hips, LOL. You only get stronger if you do the things you hate to do. I pull conventional in competition.

Solid work on the squats bro. Were you stiff legging the pulls on purpose, or was that just the way they happened?

I was meaning to do them stiff legged, until the last set. I was getting fatigued and tried to pull with a narrower stane, but was gassed. Louie mentioned to us about doing ultra wide stiff legged pulls to strengthen hips, so thats what I was trying. Thanks Mark.

very good day IRBS

its cool to see you doin farmers walks man, with nearly 300 pounds per hand, thats strength. shit. how do you do them? do you have a farmers walk bar?

the ultra wide sumo pulls, thats what louie reccomends for hip strength eh? how do you like them?

We do farmers with a ricksaw my gym has. It was 300 total. We dont really do anything very heavy, its more for GPP work.

I hate Sumo pulls, but you have to do the things you hate to get stronger.

prowrestler
12-21-08, 4:00 pm
oh, it was with the ricksaw, i thought you where doin 300 per hand lol, ya, gotta do what you hate to do

IRBS
12-21-08, 4:41 pm
BENCH ASSISTANCE

DB Bench:
worked up to 100'sx12

Triple Set:
Palms Facing Pulldowns: 3 sets of 10
CS Rows: 3 sets of 8
Miniband Pullaparts: 3 sets of 15

Superset:
DB Curls: 4 sets of 8
Pushdowns: 4 sets of 12

Upright Row/Front Raise Combo:
3 sets

Reverse Peck Deck:
3 sets of 12

Superset:
Reverse Grip Curls: 3 sets
Extensions: 3 sets

Nothing to write home about. We are all training solo today due to Xmas festivities and what not. Mason is sick too, so he wasnt there. Just a high rep day trying to shove blood into the muscles and joints. Nothing crazy.

I just got done taking Xmas Pictures, lame,
IRBS

mark
12-21-08, 9:51 pm
I'm sure you looked quite cute getting your pic taken in your Rudolph turtle neck, lol!

Nice session bro.

IRBS
12-22-08, 1:55 pm
Thanks Mark.

Well, I have perfected my bench technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5GBIg2s8k

mark
12-22-08, 4:56 pm
Dude, Awesome job beching! You looked massive in that video... You're benching is definitely going places now home slice.

Oh, and great technique too! Definitely worthy of a good job ass slap.

IRBS
12-22-08, 5:01 pm
Dude, Awesome job beching! You looked massive in that video... You're benching is definitely going places now home slice.

Oh, and great technique too! Definitely worthy of a good job ass slap.

LOL, thanks Mark. I have really been researching trying to find the right technique for me. Plus, with the added hip thrust work, it is sure to carryover to my squat and deadlift.

prowrestler
12-22-08, 5:01 pm
solid assistance day

better bench technique......

mark
12-22-08, 5:32 pm
LOL, thanks Mark. I have really been researching trying to find the right technique for me. Plus, with the added hip thrust work, it is sure to carryover to my squat and deadlift.

Lol... I'm sure the wifey will be happier too...

IRBS
12-22-08, 11:36 pm
DE SQ/DL

Raw 14in Box SSB Squats with Choked Greens and Blues:
barx12
barx12
added bands:
barx5
165x3
255x2
255x2
305x2
305x2
305x2
305x2

Speed Pulls against Mini's Standing on a Plate:
135x3
225x3
315x3
315x3
365x2
365x1
365x1
365x1
405x1

DB Pull Throughs:
60x20
60x15
100x15
100x15

Superset:
Low Cable Row: 3 sets of 8
Ricksaw Shrugs: 3 sets of 20

Superset:
Back Attack: 3 sets of 12
PullDown Abs: 3 sets of 20

Really solid night. I stayed much more upright on most every squat attempt, which is great. Means I am getting better at solving my problem of bending over to hit depth. Band tension was probably 250-300lbs at the top. Enough to feel it. Good speed on the pulls too. Our volume is much higher right now, which is good. We are getting some great training in right now. Everyone had a great night tonight.

I got stronger today, did you?
IRBS

prowrestler
12-23-08, 12:18 am
DE SQ/DL

Raw 14in Box SSB Squats with Choked Greens and Blues:
barx12
barx12
added bands:
barx5
165x3
255x2
255x2
305x2
305x2
305x2
305x2

Speed Pulls against Mini's Standing on a Plate:
135x3
225x3
315x3
315x3
365x2
365x1
365x1
365x1
405x1

DB Pull Throughs:
60x20
60x15
100x15
100x15

Superset:
Low Cable Row: 3 sets of 8
Ricksaw Shrugs: 3 sets of 20

Superset:
Back Attack: 3 sets of 12
PullDown Abs: 3 sets of 20

Really solid night. I stayed much more upright on most every squat attempt, which is great. Means I am getting better at solving my problem of bending over to hit depth. Band tension was probably 250-300lbs at the top. Enough to feel it. Good speed on the pulls too. Our volume is much higher right now, which is good. We are getting some great training in right now. Everyone had a great night tonight.

I got stronger today, did you?
IRBS

fuck man, thats a speed day for ya and there was alot of weight plus bands.
i was wondering, the db pullthrough, how do you grab it? so it doesnt crash into your nuts or thighs? one hand over the other?

mark
12-23-08, 3:03 am
strong squatting as always bro.

IRBS
12-23-08, 8:46 am
fuck man, thats a speed day for ya and there was alot of weight plus bands.
i was wondering, the db pullthrough, how do you grab it? so it doesnt crash into your nuts or thighs? one hand over the other?

We stand on 2 platforms and the DB drops in between. We use the pushdown rope to hold onto it. Its basically a Wide Stance Squat that you drop your hips super low on and really push them through at the top. Kills the hips. Thanks man.

strong squatting as always bro.

Thanks Mark. Just trying to get strong(er), LOL

brandonA
12-23-08, 10:19 am
I hate (love) the SSB....beats my ass every time I use it...But it is helping me keep my back upright as well....I hate that fucking thing....GM's with it are the worse....so much pressure on the back of your head...LOL...

-B

IRBS
12-23-08, 10:24 am
I hate (love) the SSB....beats my ass every time I use it...But it is helping me keep my back upright as well....I hate that fucking thing....GM's with it are the worse....so much pressure on the back of your head...LOL...

-B

Yeah, I actually love it. It saves my shoulders and has put a good bit of mass on my upper back. If I can stay upright with the SSB and bands, I should be good to go...

brandonA
12-23-08, 10:36 am
Yeah, I actually love it. It saves my shoulders and has put a good bit of mass on my upper back. If I can stay upright with the SSB and bands, I should be good to go...

I hear ya...It is a love hate relationship...I hate it cause I know I am going to get my ass kicked, but love it because it is making me stronger....LOL...

IRBS
12-26-08, 11:20 am
Upper Assistance

Military Press:
2 warmup sets of 10 and 8 reps then,
3 sets of 5

Palms Facing Pulldowns:
3 sets of 10

BB Shrugs:
3 sets of 20

DB Curls and Dip Machine:
4 sets of 8 and 10

Very quick workout. I've got more family coming in today so I had to just run in real quick and get some work in. I am hoping to squat in the morning.

Cheers,
IRBS

mark
12-26-08, 12:30 pm
Remember, if you can still button your pants when all is said and done, you didn't eat enough...

Solid work bro.

prowrestler
12-26-08, 1:06 pm
goood assistance work irbs

IRBS
12-26-08, 9:52 pm
Remember, if you can still button your pants when all is said and done, you didn't eat enough...

Solid work bro.

Well, I've had to send 3 Xmas gifts back because my chest and shoulders are too big...so I would say I made progress from last year, LOL. Thanks Mark.

goood assistance work irbs

Thanks man.

IRBS
12-27-08, 5:17 pm
ME SQ/DL

SSB Box Squats:
barx10
165x6
255x3
briefs:
345x3
435x1
525x1
585x1 - grinder....

Partial Deads:
135x20
225x20
225x20
225x20

Leg Raises:
4 sets of 10

SSB Seated GM's:
1 set of 20 reps

Had to go. Had other family stuff going on today. Had one of the worst squat sessions ever. It was terrible. Just couldnt get comfortable or get my briefs seated all the way.

Sucks,
IRBS

prowrestler
12-27-08, 5:32 pm
ME SQ/DL

SSB Box Squats:
barx10
165x6
255x3
briefs:
345x3
435x1
525x1
585x1 - grinder....

Partial Deads:
135x20
225x20
225x20
225x20

Leg Raises:
4 sets of 10

SSB Seated GM's:
1 set of 20 reps

Had to go. Had other family stuff going on today. Had one of the worst squat sessions ever. It was terrible. Just couldnt get comfortable or get my briefs seated all the way.

Sucks,
IRBS

if that was a terrible day i want more shitty workouts
always impressive

mark
12-27-08, 7:19 pm
ME SQ/DL

Sucks,
IRBS

If it wasn't for the occasional bad day, you would never have a good day to look forward too...

Although you should hold your head up high, sounds like you've been decimating the Christmas dinners, good job...

IRBS
12-27-08, 8:50 pm
if that was a terrible day i want more shitty workouts
always impressive

Thanks man.

If it wasn't for the occasional bad day, you would never have a good day to look forward too...

Although you should hold your head up high, sounds like you've been decimating the Christmas dinners, good job...

Yeah, I guess every training session cant be great. Thems the breaks...

I have definately been doing my fair share of eating......

IRBS
12-28-08, 6:20 pm
Bench Assist

Raw Bench:
barx30
135x10
225x3
1-board:
315x2
335x2
365x2
365x2
365x2
365x2
365x2
405x2

Floor Press with Green Band:
60'sx8
80'sx5
90'sx5
90'sx5

Reverse Peck Deck (this was supersetted with Floor Press):
4 sets of 20, 15, 15, 15

Decline Bench:
135x15
185x12
225x12

Palms Facing Pulldowns (this was supersetted with Decline Bench):
4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 8

Hammer Rows:
3 sets of 8, 5, 5

Miniband Pullaparts (ss w/Hammer Rows):
4 sets of 15

BB Shrugs:
225x25
225x20
315x20
315x20

EZ Bar Curls:
6 sets

Hammer Curls:
5 sets

Really good session. I think that was all we did. Speed on bench was much better than last time I did raw speed work, so I am pleased with that. Weighed in a little over 280 today in shorts, tshirt and nike's, and I think I am a touch leaner...or at least not fatter, LOL. Anyway, really pleased with this session.

My brother gave me double stuff oreos for Xmas,
IRBS

mark
12-28-08, 6:42 pm
Strong benching as always bro... I like the low volume technique that you employ...

T o m m Y
12-28-08, 6:44 pm
wow dude way to kill it,nice pressing!

prowrestler
12-28-08, 9:28 pm
solid work.405 raw is gonna catch some attention in a gym

its my last day of the cycle you outlined me tomorow, im not deloading after though, im gonna be needing a new one lol! i got the squat cambered bar to work with now too and ill let u know if i can deadlift yet, we'll see how friday goes

IRBS
12-29-08, 8:51 am
Strong benching as always bro... I like the low volume technique that you employ...

LOL, thanks Mark. We have definately upped the volume levels lately. Of course we will back off a bit as we get closer to March, but for now, volume is high. Plus, it helps with the conditioning a bit too, LOL..

wow dude way to kill it,nice pressing!
Thanks man!

solid work.405 raw is gonna catch some attention in a gym

its my last day of the cycle you outlined me tomorow, im not deloading after though, im gonna be needing a new one lol! i got the squat cambered bar to work with now too and ill let u know if i can deadlift yet, we'll see how friday goes

Thanks pro. No need to change what I outlined for you. That template will work for as long as you want to use it.

IRBS
12-29-08, 4:11 pm
Well, this has been a good year for me as far as training goes. Here goes...

PR's as of January 2008:

Big 3:
Raw Squat: 425 (belt and knee wraps)
Equipped Squat: 500
Raw Bench: 385 1RM, 315x6
Equipped Bench: 450 full range, 475 to a 2-board, 500 to a 3-board
Deadlift: 500

PR's as of December 2008:

Big 3:
Raw Squat: 515 (belt and knee wraps)
Equipped Squat: 675 with more in the tank
Raw Bench: 445 to a 1-board
Equipped Bench: 545 full range, 585 to a 2-board, 605 to a 3-board
Deadlift: 565

So, I added 90lbs to my Raw Squat, 175lbs to my Equipped Squat, approximately 50lbs to my Raw Bench, 95lbs to my Equipped Bench, and 65lbs or so to my Deadlift. Not a bad year at all as far as getting stronger. The worst part of my year was bombing a few weeks ago, but I have plans to rectify that in the next few months.

I also went from a bodyweight (at 6'3) of around 255-260 last year at this time to just over 280 right now while keeping my bodyfat in check and my heart healthy (BP is around 110/70)

I must say the highlight of my year was the beginning of the Huntsville Method Power Crew. In July, I finally got a consistent training partner and we added a 3rd shortly thereafter. We also have one more who trains with us anytime he is home from college. We are growing, but we are picky about who we let in. This is a must for getting stronger, finding solid training partners is invaluable.

I dont make New Years resolutions, but rather I make goals. In the next year here are my goals:

#1 - Get a total in on the platform and put together a solid meet.
#2 - total 1900+
#3 - Squat 700+ in Competition
#4 - Bench 550+ in Competition
#5 - Deadlift 585+ in Competition
#6 - Improve Conditioning
#7 - Squat 750 in training
#8 - Bench 585 in training
#9 - Deadlift 600 in training
#10 - Grow our Team by at least 2 more members

Ultimate goal in the next 2 years: TOTAL ELITE!!!!

I got stronger this year, did you?
IRBS

prowrestler
12-29-08, 4:17 pm
you made sick gains this year irbs! that squat especially

and from what u said before, im fine to just stick with the outlined cycle. thats cool

i wanna try useing the cambered bar this time around though if thats ok and hopefully i can deadlift again

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-29-08, 7:40 pm
Those are some inspiring improvements bro. Gives me that much more motivation to demolish mine in 09".

IRBS
12-30-08, 9:26 am
you made sick gains this year irbs! that squat especially

and from what u said before, im fine to just stick with the outlined cycle. thats cool

i wanna try useing the cambered bar this time around though if thats ok and hopefully i can deadlift again

Use it whenever you want to, same principles apply.

Those are some inspiring improvements bro. Gives me that much more motivation to demolish mine in 09".

Thanks fellas.

Young&Hungry
12-30-08, 12:54 pm
You really did decimate some PR's big time this year brother. Goes to show you what an intelligent lifter with a ton of will can accomplish. Nice work! Just curious what were your PR's in high school or were you not lifting then?

IRBS
12-30-08, 1:09 pm
You really did decimate some PR's big time this year brother. Goes to show you what an intelligent lifter with a ton of will can accomplish. Nice work! Just curious what were your PR's in high school or were you not lifting then?

Thanks Carlos.

In High School I was 6'3 and graduated weighing around 170-175lbs. I benched 240lbs my senior year. I think I might have squatted 225, but I never squatted in High School. We never Deadlifted...I didnt even know what a DL was back then...All I really did was upper body because I assumed (wrongly so I might add) that because I was a 3 sport athlete (Baseball, Basketball, and Cross Country) that my legs didnt need any work, LOL. They did, and I am paying for it now, IMO. We didnt really have anyone training us. Our coaches knew jack about lifting, so we were just upper body freaks, LOL. We didnt lift regularly, maybe 1 or 2 days a week, sometimes not even that. I playbed baseball in the Spring, Summer and Fall (we were a baseball school and state runners up my senior year with a 34-9 record); Basketball in the Winter and Cross Country was a fall sport on top of fall league Baseball. We also had Spring practices for Basketball which were basically running till you puked. I was also active in a ton of school clubs. I was a very busy kid in High School. Most of the time I wouldnt get home until 10 or 11pm from practices...and to think I couldnt gain weight back then...LOL. Oh, and we didnt have internet back then...it existed, but hardly anybody knew about it or used it for anything other than porn, LOL!

I really got serious about half way through my freshman year of college and actually started lifting regularly, you know, bodybuilder splits. Joined the Navy my Sophomore Year of college and started running 8-10miles 3-4 times per week on top of lifting. After I got out of the Navy at the end of 2004 I started actually "training." Tried to mimic strongman training the best I could for about a year and then picked up Powerlifting. Havent looked back since.

Thats the quick and dirty I guess. Let me know if you have any questions.

IRBS
12-30-08, 11:46 pm
SQ/DL Accessory

Plyos - Box Jumps (warmups):
14in side to side jumpsx10
28in box jumpx3
32in box jumpx3
38in box jumpx3

Raw Squats (Walked out like a man!! LOL):
barx10
135x5
225x5
315x5
365x3
405x3

Reverse Green Band Deadlifts (counting the bar as 45):
255x3
445x1
added suit:
535x1
585x1
625x1 - I think this is a PR...great speed on this rep, definately not Max Effort...

Partial Deads:
135x20
185x20
225x20

Knee Raises (ss with Partial Deads):
3 sets of 15

Great night. We started with some box jumps to get loose then some raw squat work. Pulled a solid 20lbs PR that was fast, probably had another 25lbs in me, who knows. Felt great.

This is how we roll:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q66/willirby/Bloody.jpg

LOL, blew the nose out tonight on my last squat set and then twice when I was pulling. Pretty cool.

HMPC Baby!
IRBS

prowrestler
12-31-08, 12:34 am
SQ/DL Accessory

Plyos - Box Jumps (warmups):
14in side to side jumpsx10
28in box jumpx3
32in box jumpx3
38in box jumpx3

Raw Squats (Walked out like a man!! LOL):
barx10
135x5
225x5
315x5
365x3
405x3

Reverse Green Band Deadlifts (counting the bar as 45):
255x3
445x1
added suit:
535x1
585x1
625x1 - I think this is a PR...great speed on this rep, definately not Max Effort...

Partial Deads:
135x20
185x20
225x20

Knee Raises (ss with Partial Deads):
3 sets of 15

Great night. We started with some box jumps to get loose then some raw squat work. Pulled a solid 20lbs PR that was fast, probably had another 25lbs in me, who knows. Felt great.

This is how we roll:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q66/willirby/Bloody.jpg

LOL, blew the nose out tonight on my last squat set and then twice when I was pulling. Pretty cool.

HMPC Baby!
IRBS

nice hoops
solid day for "assistance work"

IRBS
12-31-08, 9:15 am
nice hoops
solid day for "assistance work"

Thanks man.

mark
12-31-08, 11:38 am
Nice jumps, and congrats on the PRs.

IRBS
12-31-08, 4:27 pm
Nice jumps, and congrats on the PRs.

Thanks Mark. Hoping to hit that 600 pull soon...

IRBS
01-02-09, 9:38 am
ME BENCH

Bench:
barx30
135x10
225x5
2-board:
315x3
added Katana:
3-board:
405x3
495x1
545x1
585x1

Floor Press:
135x12
225x5
315x3
225x12

Pulldowns (ss with Floor Press):
3 sets of 8

HS Press:
2ppsx10
3ppsx8
2ppsx10

HS Reverse Close Grip Pulldowns (ss with HS Press):
1plate+25per sidex10 for 3 sets

Cable Rows:
3 sets of 10

Reverse Peck Deck (ss with cable rows):
3 sets of 15

Front Raises:
4 sets of 10-5

Hammers:
3 sets

Pretty solid day. Worked up to a solid 585 3-board that I missed on our last heavy 3-board day before the meet. I actually got buried by it then, LOL, so it was nice to get it pretty easily today. I think 600+ was in me today, but my plan was to hit a solid single at 585 and move on. This is the most weight I've handled in about 6-8 weeks and I dont want to be missing any weights. Squatting on Saturday.

Time to eat,
IRBS

mark
01-02-09, 10:40 am
Strong benching Will. Solid work as always.

prowrestler
01-02-09, 12:10 pm
hell ya! nice fuckin pressin man

mark
01-02-09, 3:22 pm
Will, are you planning on working on touching any more this cycle?

IRBS
01-02-09, 4:38 pm
Will, are you planning on working on touching any more this cycle?

Yes, I will be focusing on that. I have worked on my setup a good bit and I think that will help with touching. Next week we will be doing reverse bands to the chest in the shirt. My goal is to be able to touch and open easily in March around 500. I will try to touch a weight with no reverse bands in about 3 weeks. The 3-board work we did yesterday is considered "high board" work for me this cycle due to having touching problems. I will likely go no higher than a 2-board from now until March, and will mostly be focusing on 1-boards and lower.

mark
01-02-09, 4:50 pm
Yes, I will be focusing on that. I have worked on my setup a good bit and I think that will help with touching. Next week we will be doing reverse bands to the chest in the shirt. My goal is to be able to touch and open easily in March around 500. I will try to touch a weight with no reverse bands in about 3 weeks. The 3-board work we did yesterday is considered "high board" work for me this cycle due to having touching problems. I will likely go no higher than a 2-board from now until March, and will mostly be focusing on 1-boards and lower.

Word... sounds like a good plan.

IRBS
01-03-09, 7:27 pm
ME SQ/DL

SSB High Box Squats (about 2in high for me) in BOSS Briefs:
166x5 - no where near touching the box
256x3 - Same
346x3 - Same
436x1 - got it
526x1
616x1 - Old PR, Smoke
666x1 - PR Blew it up
706x1 - 90lbs PR, left some in the tank too...this is my first 700+ Squat

Raw Deadlifts standing on a plate:
225x3
315x3
405x1
515x1 - PR
535x1 - 35lbs PR

Back Attack:
4 sets of 12

Pull Down Abs:
4 sets of 12

This was the best training session I have had in over a year. I am officially a believer in the Boss Briefs. They blow my old Ace Pro's out of the water. They were pretty snug, to say the least, and it took some weight to get them down, but, wow, talk about awesome. After my set with 515 Carter told me I was going 700 today. After the 666 I knew I would get it. It moved pretty fast too, so I left some weight out there, thats for sure. I cant believe I hit 700+ with the SSB, unbelieveable. We are squatting with a straight bar next week out of a Monolift with chains, and I am freaking stoked and ready for it. On top of the killer squat session, I pulled a 35lbs PR off of a plate on the deadlift. Pure awesomeness today. It was outstanding. Everybody had PR's today. Carter hit 706 to a 14in box in just single ply briefs, Mason hit 616, which crushed him last week for a PR in briefs, John hit 476 on his last set and then went on to pull 415 on the deadlift, which is an all time best. It was a great day all around.

I'm fired up baby!
IRBS

Big Wides
01-03-09, 7:42 pm
Strong ass sessions as usual IRBS.....your one strong cat and its good to see you having a log back up and running again

J Wong
01-03-09, 7:46 pm
ME SQ/DL

SSB High Box Squats (about 2in high for me) in BOSS Briefs:
166x5 - no where near touching the box
256x3 - Same
346x3 - Same
436x1 - got it
526x1
616x1 - Old PR, Smoke
666x1 - PR Blew it up
706x1 - 90lbs PR, left some in the tank too...this is my first 700+ Squat

Raw Deadlifts standing on a plate:
225x3
315x3
405x1
515x1 - PR
535x1 - 35lbs PR

Back Attack:
4 sets of 12

Pull Down Abs:
4 sets of 12

This was the best training session I have had in over a year. I am officially a believer in the Boss Briefs. They blow my old Ace Pro's out of the water. They were pretty snug, to say the least, and it took some weight to get them down, but, wow, talk about awesome. After my set with 515 Carter told me I was going 700 today. After the 666 I knew I would get it. It moved pretty fast too, so I left some weight out there, thats for sure. I cant believe I hit 700+ with the SSB, unbelieveable. We are squatting with a straight bar next week out of a Monolift with chains, and I am freaking stoked and ready for it. On top of the killer squat session, I pulled a 35lbs PR off of a plate on the deadlift. Pure awesomeness today. It was outstanding. Everybody had PR's today. Carter hit 706 to a 14in box in just single ply briefs, Mason hit 616, which crushed him last week for a PR in briefs, John hit 476 on his last set and then went on to pull 415 on the deadlift, which is an all time best. It was a great day all around.

I'm fired up baby!
IRBS

Damn, good for you. I love the kinds of training sessions. You went PR crazy haha

IRBS
01-03-09, 7:52 pm
Strong ass sessions as usual IRBS.....your one strong cat and its good to see you having a log back up and running again

Thanks Wides...just trying to pay my dies and get stronger every session.

Damn, good for you. I love the kinds of training sessions. You went PR crazy haha

Thanks boom. It was one of those "in the zone" days. Felt good to have a day like that.

prowrestler
01-05-09, 11:59 am
awsome squatting man, HUGE pr's

you got 125 pounds overal stronger that day you could say

IRBS
01-05-09, 12:16 pm
awsome squatting man, HUGE pr's

you got 125 pounds overal stronger that day you could say

LOL, thakns man.

IRBS
01-05-09, 8:07 pm
Bench Assistance

Warmup: Defranco Upper Body Warmup (Foam Roller and various stretches)

DB Bench:
50'sx20
75'sx12
100'sx12
125'sx12

CS Rows:
4 sets of 8

Incline Bench:
3 sets of 8-5 reps

HS Rows:
3 sets of 8

Palms Facing Pulldowns:
3 sets

Purple Band Pullapaparts (ss with Pulldowns and HS Rows):
6 sets of 10

BB Shrugs:
225x20
315x20
315x20

Hammer Curls:
5 sets of 12-5 reps

Dip Machine (ss with Hammer Curls):
5 sets of 12

Boring night. John and I were done in under an hour, and thats with BS'in with some of the guys at the gym, LOL. Nothing to get fired up about, but these nights are a necessity.

Yawn,
IRBS

SQUAT or DIE!
01-05-09, 8:42 pm
congrats on the 700 man, that is insane!!!!!

T o m m Y
01-05-09, 8:57 pm
x2!

Holly Shit...

Did you get it on video?

IRBS
01-06-09, 8:35 am
congrats on the 700 man, that is insane!!!!!

x2!

Holly Shit...

Did you get it on video?

Thanks fellas.

No Video. I left the camera at home. The thing about taking video, at least for me, is that it can take away from the training sometimes. I didnt want to mess with it so on Saturday my only focus was hitting a big squat and pull and before I left the house I just decided no video. We are driving out of town to squat out of a Monolift this Saturday. I plan on taking video then.

Themostocles
01-06-09, 8:41 am
Damn that is a big squat, congrats! -T.

mark
01-06-09, 11:09 am
Strong squats, and congrats on whorin' it up, lol!

IRBS
01-06-09, 11:15 am
Damn that is a big squat, congrats! -T.

Thanks man.

Strong squats, and congrats on whorin' it up, lol!
LOL, yeah, you cant keep a gear whore down...

brandonA
01-06-09, 11:19 am
Looking good big Will....Are you going to put the BOSS under the Pro for the meet? Hell the way you are going, you could do the meet in the just the briefs and hit some major PR's...

-B

IRBS
01-06-09, 11:37 am
Looking good big Will....Are you going to put the BOSS under the Pro for the meet? Hell the way you are going, you could do the meet in the just the briefs and hit some major PR's...

-B

Yeah, I will be using the Boss briefs under the Pro Suit for the meet. We will be going full gear on Saturday out of a Monolift, so we will see what it takes to get down then. Thanks B!

prowrestler
01-06-09, 11:47 am
Yeah, I will be using the Boss briefs under the Pro Suit for the meet. We will be going full gear on Saturday out of a Monolift, so we will see what it takes to get down then. Thanks B!

fulll gear and a monolift.
i wanna see the videos from this session!

got any goals in mind for that day?

IRBS
01-06-09, 11:48 am
fulll gear and a monolift.
i wanna see the videos from this session!

got any goals in mind for that day?

I will try to get some video.

No, because I dont know if we will be going straight weight or chains. We'll see. I dont like to set a limit (goal) on myself before the session.

brandonA
01-06-09, 12:51 pm
Awesome combo...will be interesting to see what it takes to get you down....Meet in march is going to be sick....

-B

IRBS
01-06-09, 12:56 pm
Awesome combo...will be interesting to see what it takes to get you down....Meet in march is going to be sick....

-B

Yeah, I am interested to see too! LOL

Yeah, March goals will be:

S: 750ish
B: 550ish
D: 585ish
T: 1885ish

I would really like to get the deadlift to 600 by then, but thats a tight timetable...

IRBS
01-07-09, 8:23 am
DE SQ/DL

Warmup:
Foam Roller

Raw SSB Box Squats against choked Greens:
barx8
barx3 (added bands)
165x3
255x3
345x2
345x2
345x2
345x2
345x2

Speed Pulls against Purples (we have our deadlift platform setup like Westside's, so you have a picture):
135x3
245x2
335x2
335x2
335x2
335x2 (second rep is always faster than the first, I gotta fix this...)

Seated GM's:
165x10
205x10
255x10

Hanging Knee Raises (ss with GMs):
3 sets of 15

Pull Throughs:
3 sets of 10

Miniband Knee Spread (ab or adductor, whichever one, LOL, ss with pull throughs):
3 sets of 20

Good session tonight. Speed and form were really good on the squats. Speed on the pulls was solid, better on the second rep than the first, gotta fix that. There was a good bit of tension on the pulls, no clue what it was, but it kicked in like crazy about half way through the pull.

Reverse Band Benching in the Shirt on Thursday,
IRBS

ghost
01-07-09, 8:25 am
excellent job brother! keep at it!

Themostocles
01-07-09, 8:39 am
You speed squat my max squat lol, thats badass. Graet job on the pulling. Wish I had the equipment for band pulls. -T.

IRBS
01-07-09, 8:51 am
excellent job brother! keep at it!
Thanks man, will do!

You speed squat my max squat lol, thats badass. Graet job on the pulling. Wish I had the equipment for band pulls. -T.
Thanks man.

Here is how we rig ours up:

Heaviest DB you can find in the front and the back on each side of the bar with a 100lbs plate holding them in place. Run the bands from one DB to the other over the bar and boom, youve got yourself a band platform.

Themostocles
01-07-09, 8:54 am
Thanks man, I will have to try that. -T.

IRBS
01-09-09, 8:28 am
ME BENCH

Reverse Blue Band Bench:
barx40
added bands
225x5
315x3
405x1
added shirt
505x1 - no touch
555x1 - no touch
595x1 - no touch
615x1 - no touch

Big Circuit:
Palms Facing Pulldowns:
4 sets of 10
Reverse Peck Deck:
4 sets of 10
Pushdowns:
4 sets of 10

Superset:
DB Shrugs:
3 sets of 15
DB Curls:
3 sets of 8

Superset:
Dip Machine:
4 sets of 10
Hammer Curls:
4 sets of 8

Well, we learned our lesson with reverse Blue Band's tonight...we are just not strong enough on bench to use that reverse band setup. The way we had it set up was that at the top it was very close to true weight, maybe took off 30lbs at the top of my stroke. However, at the bottom it took off over 100lbs, probably in the neighborhood of 125lbs, therefore it was impossible to touch anything. I got the 595 and 615 within about 2 inches but they just hit a wall with the shirt. The presses on each were solid. 595 was smoke and 615 was smooth (about 565 and 585 at the top, respectively). Our plan is to use no more than a green, ever, and most likely next time we do this it will be with a purple so we can touch. I am confident I can touch something between 500-525 right now, I just have to work it down. Not the best night, but they cant all be great. I've got some vids from last night that I will try to upload at some point.

Squatting Saturday morning,
IRBS

Themostocles
01-09-09, 8:32 am
I always learn something new in here. Still strong pressing for most of us folks. Look forward to the videos. -T.

prowrestler
01-09-09, 1:17 pm
nice DE SQUAT and ME bench days

learning experience too

pedraza
01-09-09, 1:38 pm
nice workout

IRBS
01-09-09, 1:42 pm
I always learn something new in here. Still strong pressing for most of us folks. Look forward to the videos. -T.

nice DE SQUAT and ME bench days

learning experience too

nice workout

Thanks fellas.

brandonA
01-09-09, 1:58 pm
we used the blues only once, raw cause we could not find the other green....When we do them in the shirt we use the monster mini's doubled...It is enough off the bottom to get you a good feel in the shirt, but not enough off the top, so you dont get a good workout in...plus you dont have to pile on every plate in the gym....

-B

IRBS
01-09-09, 2:02 pm
we used the blues only once, raw cause we could not find the other green....When we do them in the shirt we use the monster mini's doubled...It is enough off the bottom to get you a good feel in the shirt, but not enough off the top, so you dont get a good workout in...plus you dont have to pile on every plate in the gym....

-B

Yeah, we learned our lesson last night. Greens work well for us and purples will be brutal.

Sometimes you just gotta screw up to learn stuff...

mark
01-09-09, 2:24 pm
You live, you learn...

Y'all still got in some solid work, so not all was lost at the end of the day...

IRBS
01-09-09, 2:27 pm
You live, you learn...

Y'all still got in some solid work, so not all was lost at the end of the day...

Yeah, still good work. Very true. Thanks Mark.

IRBS
01-10-09, 3:32 pm
ME SQ/DL @ Gold's in Gadsden, AL

Box Squats in Briefs:
155x5
265x3
355x3
445x1
545x1
585x1 - Everything from here on out is a PR in just briefs to these box heights with straight bar and straight weight
625x1 - 18in box
625x1 - 17in box
625x1 - 16in box - Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fHaDv9SOV8

Deadlifts, Raw:
225x3 (sumo)
315x3 (sumo)
315x3 (conventional)
405x2 (conventional)
455x3 (conventional)
495x3 (conventional)

GHR's, Abs, Shrugs:
a few sets of each

Excellent session today. Worked up to 625 in the new Boss Briefs and hit 3 singles at that weight trying to work it down to a 16in box. We drove down to Gadsden this morning to squat out of the Monolift. Brant and his bench crew was there so we had plenty of spotters. Pulled a solid 495 for 3 fairly easy reps, did some accessory work and was out. Very good day and very please with this session.

I got stronger today,
IRBS

Themostocles
01-10-09, 3:40 pm
Awesome PRs, video, and music lol. Way to get Strong(er). -T.

Toni69
01-10-09, 3:51 pm
ME SQ/DL @ Gold's in Gadsden, AL

Box Squats in Briefs:
155x5
265x3
355x3
445x1
545x1
585x1 - Everything from here on out is a PR in just briefs to these box heights with straight bar and straight weight
625x1 - 18in box
625x1 - 17in box
625x1 - 16in box - Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fHaDv9SOV8

Deadlifts, Raw:
225x3 (sumo)
315x3 (sumo)
315x3 (conventional)
405x2 (conventional)
455x3 (conventional)
495x3 (conventional)

GHR's, Abs, Shrugs:
a few sets of each

Excellent session today. Worked up to 625 in the new Boss Briefs and hit 3 singles at that weight trying to work it down to a 16in box. We drove down to Gadsden this morning to squat out of the Monolift. Brant and his bench crew was there so we had plenty of spotters. Pulled a solid 495 for 3 fairly easy reps, did some accessory work and was out. Very good day and very please with this session.

I got stronger today,
IRBS

That was a great vid! So great to have people watching and telling you what you need to do. I wish I had that whenever I squatted..prob would be a huge help to my back if I did. Would you mind if I posted that on my myspace? I really like that vid, not just cause you killed it, but its informative in a very visual way and some of my friends would love it.

Plus, you gave me an idea for my leg wo monday..Im goin box squats too on monday so im gonna kinda follow what you did here..with a lot less weight! LOL

great work as always!

mark
01-10-09, 4:27 pm
Oh Will... You... You stud muffin you...

Can I give birth to your child?

Lol...
Good job on the squats.

What pair of briefs did you use? Boss? If so, how do you like them??

prowrestler
01-10-09, 4:27 pm
sick session, nice video

Big Wides
01-10-09, 5:31 pm
nice session IRBS....vid looks good as well. Moving some big weights as usual

IRBS
01-10-09, 9:12 pm
That was a great vid! So great to have people watching and telling you what you need to do. I wish I had that whenever I squatted..prob would be a huge help to my back if I did. Would you mind if I posted that on my myspace? I really like that vid, not just cause you killed it, but its informative in a very visual way and some of my friends would love it.

Plus, you gave me an idea for my leg wo monday..Im goin box squats too on monday so im gonna kinda follow what you did here..with a lot less weight! LOL

great work as always!

Thanks! LOL, you can use it however you wish. Carter hit 805 plus 125lbs in chains today...didnt get vid of that because I was getting him set up in his gear...

Oh Will... You... You stud muffin you...

Can I give birth to your child?

Lol...
Good job on the squats.

What pair of briefs did you use? Boss? If so, how do you like them??
LOL, you have to take me to dinner first...

Thanks man. Yes, these were the Boss briefs. They are the old material, but have never been used. They are wicked tight in the legs and snug in the hips. I love them. They put my old Ace Pro's to absolute shame. The Ace material is so much thicker, but the Boss material is so freakin stiff. Lets put it this way, my opener in December with Metal Ace Pros and a Pro Squatter, straps up, with knee wraps, was 635. Today I hit 625, for 3 singles, with just the Boss briefs with no knee wraps. They're no joke. I would recommend the Boss briefs over any multi-ply brief out there right now. Its not even close.

I feel I couldve easily worked up to at least 700 today in just the briefs, but I really wanted to focus on getting the briefs down to a 16in box with sub-maximal weight. Next time I will work up heavier. Today was about getting them a little more broken in and down to a 16in box, which puts my hips right at the knee, or right at parrallel. To get a squat in at the meet I want to hit a 15in or lower box in training in full gear.

sick session, nice video
Thanks man.

nice session IRBS....vid looks good as well. Moving some big weights as usual

Thanks Wides. I was actually pretty happy with the 495 for 3 on the deadlifts after the squats. I think that was a 1 rep PR...just because I've never bothered to do more than 2 reps, LOL.

prowrestler
01-10-09, 9:40 pm
i was wonderin, what are your best gym lifts on the big 3? actual squat dead and bench, boar/rack presses dont apply.

and is it normal i out pull my squat? it seems to me as i watch more and more powerlifters, ALOT of them out squat there deadlift by a fair bit.

i have only been training my squat for 7ish months though and my deadlift for years as a bodybuilder. probably why im thinkin

mark
01-10-09, 11:56 pm
Dinner?? That's it... That's all I've had to do this whole time?? Tell the wifey i'll be there at 7 sharp to pick you up tomorrow...

Intriguing about what you say of the boss briefs... I may have to pick up a pair when I come back from Africa...

IRBS
01-11-09, 9:01 am
i was wonderin, what are your best gym lifts on the big 3? actual squat dead and bench, boar/rack presses dont apply.

and is it normal i out pull my squat? it seems to me as i watch more and more powerlifters, ALOT of them out squat there deadlift by a fair bit.

i have only been training my squat for 7ish months though and my deadlift for years as a bodybuilder. probably why im thinkin

For raw lifters it is fairly common for your deadlift to be higher than your squat. Dont worry about it.

My best gym lifts are around a 700 Squat, 550 bench, and a 570 deadlift. But we rarely just "test" our lifts in the gym. Raw lifts are a little over 500 squat, 425 bench, and 550 deadlift.

Dinner?? That's it... That's all I've had to do this whole time?? Tell the wifey i'll be there at 7 sharp to pick you up tomorrow...

Intriguing about what you say of the boss briefs... I may have to pick up a pair when I come back from Africa...

Yeah, I wasnt expecting the Boss's to be like this. Or maybe I have gotten stronger too...thats what I like to think...but I really do like the Boss's compared to the Ace Pro's.

IRBS
01-11-09, 7:16 pm
Bench Assistance

Warmup:
Defranco Upper Body Warmup

Speed Bench:
barx20
135x10
225x3
2-board:
315x3
315x3
365x2
385x2
405x5

Incline DB Press:
25'sx20
40'sx20
60'sx20
80'sx15

Rear Delts, Shoulders, Bi's, etc.

Nothing great today. I felt very weak and my elbows were giving me hell. Taking this week as a deload and wont be pressing again until next Sunday. We will still pull heavy on Tuesday, but no heavy squatting and no pressing.

Hungry,
IRBS

mark
01-11-09, 9:09 pm
strong benching bro.

I hear you on the achy joints, my body is loving the rest i've given it the past 4 days.

Toni69
01-11-09, 9:17 pm
well, to lil ol' me, 405 for 5 after all those other sets is friggin unreal. I think that's awesome. I miss benching bigtime..cant do it now, and really there isnt a need for me to as far as being necessary for my training but I have that emotional void that bench pressing sometimes fulfilled, LOL...who knows. I do miss it though. Great stuff in here as usual. You always do work and kick ass...lovin it!

Im gonna kinda follow your box squat routine tomorrow. I see you went 1x5, then a set of triples and then singles. The first 2 sets...warmups???

prowrestler
01-11-09, 10:54 pm
Bench Assistance

Warmup:
Defranco Upper Body Warmup

Speed Bench:
barx20
135x10
225x3
2-board:
315x3
315x3
365x2
385x2
405x5

Incline DB Press:
25'sx20
40'sx20
60'sx20
80'sx15

Rear Delts, Shoulders, Bi's, etc.

Nothing great today. I felt very weak and my elbows were giving me hell. Taking this week as a deload and wont be pressing again until next Sunday. We will still pull heavy on Tuesday, but no heavy squatting and no pressing.

Hungry,
IRBS

405x5 for speed? thats fuckin sick for an achy day man.
solid totals, the gear really doesnt aid the deadlfit much at all huh?

Themostocles
01-11-09, 11:45 pm

Thats my 5 rep max on deads lol. -T.

IRBS
01-12-09, 8:24 am
strong benching bro.

I hear you on the achy joints, my body is loving the rest i've given it the past 4 days.

Thanks Mark. I kind of slacked with my hydration yesterday and I think that has a lot to do with it. Either way, I have seen this coming for a while. Now just gotta listen to the body...

well, to lil ol' me, 405 for 5 after all those other sets is friggin unreal. I think that's awesome. I miss benching bigtime..cant do it now, and really there isnt a need for me to as far as being necessary for my training but I have that emotional void that bench pressing sometimes fulfilled, LOL...who knows. I do miss it though. Great stuff in here as usual. You always do work and kick ass...lovin it!

Im gonna kinda follow your box squat routine tomorrow. I see you went 1x5, then a set of triples and then singles. The first 2 sets...warmups???

LOL, thanks Toni. Yes, all the sets up to 500 were what I consider warmups. I had briefs on from the start, but for you I would hit something like 10, 5, 3, then your work sets with singles or triples. Just figure out whatever works for you and go with it. Squatting is fun.

solid totals, the gear really doesnt aid the deadlfit much at all huh?

Thanks man. Yes, you are correct. Gear doesnt aid in the deadlift that much, especially if you pull conventional.

Thats my 5 rep max on deads lol. -T.

LOL, Thanks T.

IRBS
01-14-09, 11:15 pm
Deadlifts

Reverse Purple Band Deadlifts:
135x10
235x5
325x3
415x2
added single ply suit:
505x1 - blood shot out of my nose
555x1 - Puked a good bit in my mouth
Switched back to pulling raw:
315x1
405x1
525x1
555x1
605xmiss - got it to the knees, but I just didnt have anything left...

Hamstring Curls and calf raises just to be ghey...

Well, I had zero motivation to do much of anything tonight. We are deloading Squat and Bench this week, but not the deadlift because of the program we are on, so all I had in my head to do was pull, so thats all I did. All my warmups felt great, put the suit on and had all sorts of issues. I felt like I was so bound up. First set with the suit blood spewed out of my nose. The 555 set with the suit I threw up a good bit in my mouth, which was not so pleasant. So, I got out of the suit because it was obvious nothing good would come from staying in it and pulled raw with Carter and John (they both squatted some first, by this time they were ready to start pulling). So I started over at 315 and worked back up to a very easy 555 raw and then just decided to go balls out and try to hit 605 raw with the reversed purple bands. Got it just about to the knees and just was out of gas. The purples were nearly nothing at the top and not a whole lot at the bottom. An empty bar hung below my knees...so that gives you an idea. Pretty good night considering I wasnt really firing on all cylinders.

Stomach acid does not taste good,
IRBS

Themostocles
01-15-09, 1:15 am
Nose bleeds and puking, thats an intense deadlift session! -T.

mark
01-15-09, 4:32 am
hahaha, sounds like the suit is a wee bit on the tight side...

Solid lifting bro.

Big Wides
01-15-09, 7:44 am
Great pulling IRBS....lots of weight raw after doing the geared work. Gotta love nosebleeds, except when they get all over you, then its not good....more work to do in the laundry room

IRBS
01-15-09, 8:23 am
Nose bleeds and puking, thats an intense deadlift session! -T.

Thanks T.

hahaha, sounds like the suit is a wee bit on the tight side...

Solid lifting bro.

Thanks Mark. Yeah, it is a little snug. I thought my guts were gonna pop out of my head...

Great pulling IRBS....lots of weight raw after doing the geared work. Gotta love nosebleeds, except when they get all over you, then its not good....more work to do in the laundry room

Thanks Wides. So true. Gotta chase down that 600 Deadlift...

prowrestler
01-15-09, 1:19 pm
nice pulls man
way to bleed on the 505! woulda been a good picture
i agree, stomach acid doesnt taste too good. id prefer tacos

get that 600 man......rack pulls??

IRBS
01-15-09, 2:47 pm
nice pulls man
way to bleed on the 505! woulda been a good picture
i agree, stomach acid doesnt taste too good. id prefer tacos

get that 600 man......rack pulls??

Thanks man. I dont do too many rack pulls. We do block pulls (similar to a rack pull) maybe once a month, but we do not rely on it. Speed off the floor is where I try to build my strength.

prowrestler
01-15-09, 5:49 pm
Thanks man. I dont do too many rack pulls. We do block pulls (similar to a rack pull) maybe once a month, but we do not rely on it. Speed off the floor is where I try to build my strength.

ok, what works, works. i never liked rack pulls to get my deadlift up, i liked it for grip strength but thats all really.

you talk about speed off the floor, i remember when i was at like a 405-410 deadlift, i worked on my "pop" of the floor and got it up to 455 for 2 singles back to back in the same workout. took me 3 weeks but it just happened like that.

IRBS
01-17-09, 1:32 pm
ME SQ/DL

Warmup:
Foam rolled hips, legs and upper back...painful!

Raw SSB 14in Box Squats with Reversed Green Bands (maybe 80lbs in the hole, nothing at lockout):
165x10
255x5
345x3
435x1
485x1
525x1 - Knee Wraps
575x1 - Knee Wraps

Block Pulls:
245x3
335x3
425x2
515x1

Superset 1:
Pull Throughs:
3 sets of 10

Pull Down Abs:
3 sets of 10

Superset 2:
GHR's:
4 sets of 8

Hanging Knee Raises:
4 sets of 15

Miniband Knee Spreads:
3 sets of 20

Solid Squat day. Kept upright with the SSB on all but the last set, and the last one wasnt that bad. I left a good bit in the tank today. Gonna back off the deadlift for a week or so, so that I can recover a bit. Pulls were slow today due to all the pulling we;ve been doing the last 2 weeks. Accessory work was solid and my hips were quivering when we finished. All in all a good day.

Work,
IRBS

prowrestler
01-17-09, 1:37 pm
nice squatting irbs
..."my hips were quivering when we finished." LOL

mark
01-17-09, 5:44 pm
my hips were quivering when we finished.

You sure y'all were lifting? Because i had that problem last night, but it sure as hell wasn't from lifting...

IRBS
01-17-09, 5:46 pm
nice squatting irbs
..."my hips were quivering when we finished." LOL

You sure y'all were lifting? Because i had that problem last night, but it sure as hell wasn't from lifting...

LOL, very funny fellas....

mark
01-17-09, 6:28 pm
LOL, very funny fellas....

So what your saying is... you don't deny the allegations thus meaning they could be true??

Themostocles
01-17-09, 6:32 pm
So what your saying is... you don't deny the allegations thus meaning they could be true??

He's got a career as a politician

IRBS
01-18-09, 7:48 pm
Bench Assistance

Raw Bench:
barx40
135x10
225x5
275x3
315x3
1/2-board:
335x3
350x3
1-board:
365x3
385x3
2-board:
405x3
425x3 - not enough speed on these and they were pretty ugly...

2-Board Rep-out:
315x17...dissappointed with this, shouldve gotten 20...

DB Floor Press with Purple Band Run Behind Back:
60'sx8
70'sx6
90'sx5
105'sx5
105'sx5

Superset 1:
CS Rows:
4 sets of 8-5

Band Pullaparts:
4 sets of 15

Superset 2:
HS Rows:
3 sets of 8

Band Pullaparts:
3 sets of 15

Superset 3:
Hammer Curls:
3 sets of ???

Side Laterals:
3 sets of 8

A few more Biceps and we were done.

Video of the Benching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-AM_A3Go8

Really good session today. Speed was there on every set but the 425 set. Was just a little gased by then. Form WAS NOT spot on today. We use a bench that is about 2 inches lower than a competition bench, so, with my long legs, it makes it very difficult to get set-up properly. Carter had some form issues to start with, but we got it worked out by the end of the session. Carter's dad was with us today getting some shirt work in, so there were 4 of us benching. We benched for an hour and a half...and this wasnt a Max Effort session. We were basically going back to back. Rest periods were small throughout the whole session. I was completely gased by the end. I am now working on devouring some burgers...good stuff.

Stronger every session,
IRBS

mark
01-18-09, 9:20 pm
Nice lifting Will. I could imagine that workout could get exhausting...

I wouldn't sweat your form being off, crappy benches will do that to you.

prowrestler
01-18-09, 9:48 pm
always strong man. and your buddy carter has a sick bench stroke

Themostocles
01-19-09, 12:02 am
Gee, after watching that video, I wonder why you guys were gassed? -T.

IRBS
01-19-09, 10:21 am
Nice lifting Will. I could imagine that workout could get exhausting...

I wouldn't sweat your form being off, crappy benches will do that to you.

Thanks Mark. I am actually sore today. I havent been sore in a very long time...

That is very very true about the crappy benches...

always strong man. and your buddy carter has a sick bench stroke

Thanks man. Yes, he does have a very good setup and a killer short stroke...BUT I am a stronger bencher!!! LOL (You see, I have to make sure I say that because he absolutely destrroys me in the Squat and Deadlift right now...LOL)

Gee, after watching that video, I wonder why you guys were gassed? -T.

LOL, yeah, it was a good session. Thanks T.

prowrestler
01-19-09, 11:17 am
lol, 1/3 aint soo bad

Toni69
01-19-09, 1:51 pm
Will! That vid was nuts...great day indeed! can ya even hold a fork to your mouth after all that? I know I couldnt. I would do the whole face in plate thing, LOL. Awesome work man! I may be adding that to myspace too! ;)

IRBS
01-19-09, 2:11 pm
lol, 1/3 aint soo bad

Gives me something to work towards...

Will! That vid was nuts...great day indeed! can ya even hold a fork to your mouth after all that? I know I couldnt. I would do the whole face in plate thing, LOL. Awesome work man! I may be adding that to myspace too! ;)

Thanks Toni, I am actually sore for the first time in a long while today! LOL

IRBS
01-21-09, 8:27 am
SQ/DL Assistance

14in SSB Box Squats (Speed):
165x5
255x3
single ply suit bottoms:
345x2
435x2
435x2
435x2

Pulls against green bands:
135x2
135x2 - aggrivated my back

Shut it down after that. I am pretty pissed off about it right now. My back has been doing great for 6-8months without any trouble. I dont know what I did, but it started to lock up on me, so I shut it down, went home and popped some Ibuprophen and went to bed. I didnt push it after I hurt it so hopefully it will be better on by Saturday. I will be off the rest of the week until Saturday, then I will see how I feel.

Not too happy,
IRBS

ghost
01-21-09, 8:29 am
ice and heat brother. Feel better!

Themostocles
01-21-09, 8:34 am
Hope it gets better fast IRBS.

IRBS
01-21-09, 8:53 am
ice and heat brother. Feel better!

Hope it gets better fast IRBS.

Thanks fellas. I have Degenerative Disk Disease so I have delt with this many times. It just takes time...

ghost
01-21-09, 8:54 am
Thanks fellas. I have Degenerative Disk Disease so I have delt with this many times. It just takes time...

Wife has that.... screws her up all the time. Heal fast brother.

brandonA
01-21-09, 12:43 pm
Need a reverse hyper bro....works wonders on that lower back.....Rest up and slam some grub....

-B

IRBS
01-21-09, 12:47 pm
Need a reverse hyper bro....works wonders on that lower back.....Rest up and slam some grub....

-B

Yeah, we got a crappy one. I dont really use it too much. My back only flares up about once a year, so I was due I guess. Not feeling too bad today. Hopefully it will progress enough by Saturday so I can squat. I wont be pulling for a couple weeks though.

prowrestler
01-21-09, 12:48 pm
SQ/DL Assistance

14in SSB Box Squats (Speed):
165x5
255x3
single ply suit bottoms:
345x2
435x2
435x2
435x2

Pulls against green bands:
135x2
135x2 - aggrivated my back

Shut it down after that. I am pretty pissed off about it right now. My back has been doing great for 6-8months without any trouble. I dont know what I did, but it started to lock up on me, so I shut it down, went home and popped some Ibuprophen and went to bed. I didnt push it after I hurt it so hopefully it will be better on by Saturday. I will be off the rest of the week until Saturday, then I will see how I feel.

Not too happy,
IRBS

ahhh, well that sucks. get that thing taken care of fast

SQUAT or DIE!
01-21-09, 2:17 pm
hope your back gets better bro, im dealin with a bit of a back problem right now too...

IRBS
01-21-09, 2:19 pm
hope your back gets better bro, im dealin with a bit of a back problem right now too...

Sucks. It's a pain...

SQUAT or DIE!
01-21-09, 2:21 pm
Sucks. It's a pain...

lol yes it is..

brandonA
01-21-09, 4:20 pm
Yeah, we got a crappy one. I dont really use it too much. My back only flares up about once a year, so I was due I guess. Not feeling too bad today. Hopefully it will progress enough by Saturday so I can squat. I wont be pulling for a couple weeks though.

I hate the RH..I hate it.....It is the most unconformable POS ever...but it works wonders...You wont be disapointed if you can work it in more. But i dont blame you if you dont...who wants to use a machine that beats your shins to shit, keeps you from breathing and aims to snap you in half?

-B

IRBS
01-21-09, 4:27 pm
I hate the RH..I hate it.....It is the most unconformable POS ever...but it works wonders...You wont be disapointed if you can work it in more. But i dont blame you if you dont...who wants to use a machine that beats your shins to shit, keeps you from breathing and aims to snap you in half?

-B

LOL, ours is a old machine version of the RH...not a real RH, so it sucks even more. No Swinging or anything. Its kind of like a hamstring curl machine or something...big POS.

mark
01-21-09, 11:35 pm
Heal up quickly bro.

Try seeing if you can find a traction table anywhere. Like one of those tables you lay on and you can hang up side down on... If so, get one that is ankle supported.
Or you can try to find the old moon boots that let you hang upside down from the pull up bar and just hang at first, and let gravity traction your spine.

prowrestler
01-21-09, 11:45 pm
Heal up quickly bro.

Try seeing if you can find a traction table anywhere. Like one of those tables you lay on and you can hang up side down on... If so, get one that is ankle supported.
Or you can try to find the old moon boots that let you hang upside down from the pull up bar and just hang at first, and let gravity traction your spine.

100% agree with this suggestion.

i tried it once cuz it was available at the time. i felt awsome after takeing a couple hard matches in a row. wrestling can make your spine feel tender at times. a bad feeling.

i hate to see people injured, especialy gusy like you who bust ass and need to be 100%. ive learned from alot of experience recently that being superman and lifting threw an injury makes things soo much worse. dont do that.

IRBS
01-23-09, 8:32 am
(not really) ME Bench

Warmup: Defranco Upper Body Warmup

Bench:
barx30
135x10
225x3
275x3
315x3
Put on the Katana and my left arm started turning blue/purple
Took off the Katana and put on very, very loose, old, stretched out F6 (felt like I was still benching raw):
2-board:
405x3
455x3
485x3 - LOL, I think this is a PR in this shirt unfortunately...

Steep DB Inclines (Standing):
4 sets of 15-12

Side Laterals:
4 sets of 8

Upright Row/Front Raise:
3 sets of 8-5

Rope Pushdowns:
3 sets of 15

Reverse Peck Deck:
3 sets of 10

Low Cable Rows (Wide Grip):
3 sets of 10

I think that was really all we did. It was not really a good night for anyone on bench. Carter is down in bodyweight so he is getting nothing out of his shirt, plus it is old and loose and is at least 1 size too big. John hurt a bicep on his last bench set in the shirt, still dont know what happened. I got my Katana on and my left arm turned purple, so we had to pull it off, so I decided to put the old shirt on, which goes on in less than a minute and is crazy loose...if I cant work the Katana down next week then I will be lifting in my F6, just so I dont have touching issues at the meet.

Them's the breaks,
IRBS

Themostocles
01-23-09, 8:36 am
Does that happen alot with bench shirts? Nice workout bro

IRBS
01-23-09, 8:40 am
Does that happen alot with bench shirts? Nice workout bro

First time its ever happened to me. Thanks man.

Malloy1344
01-23-09, 9:25 am
Whats up Bro? Long time. Sucks to hear about the bench shirt, hopefully you get it all taken care of. Still impressive pressing!

IRBS
01-23-09, 9:26 am
Whats up Bro? Long time. Sucks to hear about the bench shirt, hopefully you get it all taken care of. Still impressive pressing!

Whats up Jim, how have you been? Yeah, such is the life of a geared lifter, LOL!

brandonA
01-23-09, 11:07 am
Your guns are just getting too damn big!!! Keep it up and you are going to make some of the bodybuilders jealous!!

-B

IRBS
01-23-09, 1:38 pm
Your guns are just getting too damn big!!! Keep it up and you are going to make some of the bodybuilders jealous!!

-B

LOL, imagine that...a Powerlifter, who does no real direct arm work, getting big arms...hmmmmmmmmmm??? LOL

mark
01-23-09, 2:19 pm
Sucks about the bench shirt... But that's the price for having big gunz, lol!

You need to either get a super phenom or a standard double ply phenom cut like a super phenom and with all the seams and collar reinforced.
I think the phenom would pretty much get rid of your touching problems

IRBS
01-23-09, 3:01 pm
Sucks about the bench shirt... But that's the price for having big gunz, lol!

You need to either get a super phenom or a standard double ply phenom cut like a super phenom and with all the seams and collar reinforced.
I think the phenom would pretty much get rid of your touching problems

LOL, I should retitle my hourney "welcome to the gun show!" LOL

Yeah, I am really not too happy with the problems I am having with the Katana. It is very frustrating. I think that, at a minimum, I will be trying a RageX soon, and possibly a super phenom if I can swing it. I am just sick of doing board work and not being able to touch anything. I'll know more next week on the shirt situation. Hopefully I can touch something...

mark
01-23-09, 6:16 pm
LOL, I should retitle my hourney "welcome to the gun show!" LOL

Yeah, I am really not too happy with the problems I am having with the Katana. It is very frustrating. I think that, at a minimum, I will be trying a RageX soon, and possibly a super phenom if I can swing it. I am just sick of doing board work and not being able to touch anything. I'll know more next week on the shirt situation. Hopefully I can touch something...

Lol!
I personally feel the katana material is too much stopping power for a bench shirt.
I think a material with more give like a F6, RageX or phenom is a better choice because you'll get some rebound out of the material, and you can touch easier.

prowrestler
01-23-09, 6:19 pm
LOL, imagine that...a Powerlifter, who does no real direct arm work, getting big arms...hmmmmmmmmmm??? LOL

ryan kennely, nuff said

still moveing some good weight on a bad day man. hows the back?

IRBS
01-24-09, 2:56 pm
LOL, thanks fellas. Back is doing pretty well:

ME Squat in Gadsden out of the Monolift

Squats with 100-110lbs of Chains:
barx8
156x5
added boss briefs:
246x3
336x3
426x1
516x1
Suit on, Straps Down:
566x1
Straps Up:
606x1
626x1
656x1- PR (about 755-760 at the top)

Reverse Hypers:
140x10 for 4 sets

Hamstrings and Abs

Really solid training day for me. I will be taking my squat opener in 2 weeks. I am thinking right now that it will be 675ish, we'll see how it goes. I had really great speed on all my sets today, so thats good. I was still about a inch or so high on my last set, but it felt solid, I just have to hang with it in the hole a little longer. No pulls today since I am still nursing the back, which held up great on the squats. Hit a bunch of reverse hypers (real ones) today and that helped a lot.

I EAT CARBS!!!!!!!!!
IRBS

brandonA
01-24-09, 3:07 pm
Carbs taste like chicken!!!

Glad to hear the back is good...nice work on the squats....

-B

mark
01-24-09, 3:42 pm
Solid squats Will, but you need to get that ass down if you want to make it to the bench...

Carbs make you big and strong...

prowrestler
01-24-09, 3:50 pm
Solid squats Will, but you need to get that ass down if you want to make it to the bench...

thats the only reason i bought 3 cookies with my 12 inch sub at subways, not becuase they taste good....it was a solid 1400 cal meal and was clean cuz i put lettuce on my sub hahah

sick squatting there irbs, good that the back is better

SQUAT or DIE!
01-24-09, 3:55 pm
BEAST!!!! insane squatting..

IRBS
01-24-09, 7:45 pm
Carbs taste like chicken!!!

Glad to hear the back is good...nice work on the squats....

-B

Thanks B. I was just glad I could get under a bar today.

Yeah, we didnt have a box today but I had a guy (AL's WABDL state Chair) watching my depth and he said if he was judging it wouldve been an inch or so high. I'll get my opener down in a couple weeks.

thats the only reason i bought 3 cookies with my 12 inch sub at subways, not becuase they taste good....it was a solid 1400 cal meal and was clean cuz i put lettuce on my sub hahah

sick squatting there irbs, good that the back is better
Thanks man.

BEAST!!!! insane squatting..
Thanks Squat.

Themostocles
01-25-09, 4:50 pm
You will get that squat down... carbs... *begins drooling on himself*

IRBS
01-28-09, 3:16 pm
Hotel Pump in New York (West Point Area)

DB Bench:
up to 50'sx20

Curls, Front Raises/upright row, DB Shrugs, other high rep stuff...

Well, my flight got cancelled out of Newburgh today so, already being behind a session I went to the little hotel gym that has dumbbells up to 50lbs and did a bunch of high rep stuff till I got completely bored out of my skull. We got about 8-10inches of additional snow and now we are getting sleet/freezing rain...fun stuff. Supposed to be flying home tommorrow...gonna be a long day, NY to Philly to Atlanta to home. Good stuff.

Chillin in the hotel,
IRBS

prowrestler
01-28-09, 3:44 pm
Hotel Pump in New York (West Point Area)

DB Bench:
up to 50'sx20

Curls, Front Raises/upright row, DB Shrugs, other high rep stuff...

Well, my flight got cancelled out of Newburgh today so, already being behind a session I went to the little hotel gym that has dumbbells up to 50lbs and did a bunch of high rep stuff till I got completely bored out of my skull. We got about 8-10inches of additional snow and now we are getting sleet/freezing rain...fun stuff. Supposed to be flying home tommorrow...gonna be a long day, NY to Philly to Atlanta to home. Good stuff.

Chillin in the hotel,
IRBS

good assitance work as long as NONE of them where prs lol
feel you on the snow, i just got 30cms...and now i gotta walk to the gym lol, least i aint squattin tonight

IRBS
01-31-09, 3:55 pm
ME Squat

Box Squats against bands in Briefs (about 200lbs in tension) - all sets walked out:
barx10x3sets
barx3 - added bands
145x3
Added Briefs:
235x3
325x3
415x1
465x1
505x1 - about 700 at the top

Deadlifts standing on about a 2in plate:
245x2
335x1
425x1
515x1

GHR's (we elevated the back of the GHR, makes it more difficult):
4 sets of 8

Hanging Leg Raises:
4 sets of 12

Out. Pretty solid session. Walking those weights with tension out is no walk in the park, but I squatted each set with ease. I was actually suprised. I hit depth on each set with 325 and higher so I was pleased with that. I think at this point I will plan to open in just briefs between 625-650 and sink it and then go 700+ with the suit on my 2nd. I'll know my opener here in a couple weeks. The pulls felt really solid. I havent pulled in about 2 weeks or so due to my back flairing up, so it was good to have no problems today.

A week of rest with no lifting really helps too...
IRBS

prowrestler
01-31-09, 8:13 pm
ME Squat

Box Squats against bands in Briefs (about 200lbs in tension) - all sets walked out:
barx10x3sets
barx3 - added bands
145x3
Added Briefs:
235x3
325x3
415x1
465x1
505x1 - about 700 at the top

Deadlifts standing on about a 2in plate:
245x2
335x1
425x1
515x1

GHR's (we elevated the back of the GHR, makes it more difficult):
4 sets of 8

Hanging Leg Raises:
4 sets of 12

Out. Pretty solid session. Walking those weights with tension out is no walk in the park, but I squatted each set with ease. I was actually suprised. I hit depth on each set with 325 and higher so I was pleased with that. I think at this point I will plan to open in just briefs between 625-650 and sink it and then go 700+ with the suit on my 2nd. I'll know my opener here in a couple weeks. The pulls felt really solid. I havent pulled in about 2 weeks or so due to my back flairing up, so it was good to have no problems today.

A week of rest with no lifting really helps too...
IRBS

awsome session IRBS. 515 After the back shit plus standing on a 2 inch platorm is a great sign. impressive squats and the glute ham raise with the back elevated is impressive for someone of your size man

mark
02-01-09, 3:33 pm
Solid squats bro... I think you have a good plan for the meet.

Big Wides
02-01-09, 4:45 pm
Nice squatting IRBS, that week off was a nice blessing. I am also getting back into using bands in my training. Forgot how much they beat you up but its worth it

J Wong
02-01-09, 9:14 pm
Great squats man

IRBS
02-01-09, 9:59 pm
awsome session IRBS. 515 After the back shit plus standing on a 2 inch platorm is a great sign. impressive squats and the glute ham raise with the back elevated is impressive for someone of your size man
Thanks Man

Solid squats bro... I think you have a good plan for the meet.
Thanks Mark. Yeah, gotta have a plan and GOTTA get a total...

Nice squatting IRBS, that week off was a nice blessing. I am also getting back into using bands in my training. Forgot how much they beat you up but its worth it

Thanks Wides. Yes, bands will own you. I like using bands, but it will definately burn you out if youre not careful. Just be smart with the programming and itll lead to new PRs.

Great squats man

Thanks Boom.

IRBS
02-01-09, 10:00 pm
Bench

Raw Bench:
Barx20
135x10
135x5
225x3
315x3

Katana:
405x3 - 3-board
495x1 - 3-board
515x1 - 2-board
515x1 - 1-board
515x1 - full range, touched, PR, easy press

Then we did delt work, upper back, and biceps.

Really good session. I finally got something to touch in the Katana. Wet the seems and chest plate down and just took it all the way to the chest, pressed it up nice and smooth. My butt came up a little, but todays goal was simply to touch a weight. Plus we are on a bench that is about 2in lower than a comp bench, so - have to take that into consideration. Very pleased with this session. I will be in the shirt again on Thursday. I was in it today because I had to make up the Bench Session I missed last week...still got good work in with 3 sets over 500.

Finally touched, whew,
IRBS

Themostocles
02-02-09, 1:25 am
Great job with the touching(god that sounds dirty). Solid benching

IRBS
02-02-09, 8:34 am
Great job with the touching(god that sounds dirty). Solid benching

Thanks man.

prowrestler
02-02-09, 1:12 pm
good job in the katana, pr's always nice

mark
02-02-09, 8:20 pm
Congrats on finally touching...

IRBS
02-03-09, 8:30 am
Congrats on finally touching...

Thanks Mark. I have heard that once you initially touch in the Katana it is easier to do so again going forward. So we'll see...

ghost
02-03-09, 9:04 am
515... jesus you are a beast...

IRBS
02-03-09, 9:14 am
515... jesus you are a beast...

LOL, thanks man. Not anywhere near beastly, just trying to get in the vicinity of it...if I get close enough to throw a rock and hit beastly, I will be happy...LOL

IRBS
02-04-09, 9:25 am
SQ/DL Assistance

SSB Skwats, walked out:
Barx8
165x5
205x3
255x3

Reverse Band Deadlifts:
245x3
445x2
Added single ply suit:
445x1
535x1
625x1 - dinner started coming up...suit may just be too tight
655xmiss - couldn't hold the puke down and coughed mid pull...this flew off the floor and I wouldve locked it out...I was pissed off after this

Back Attack, Abs, Pull Throughs, Hamstrings

Not too pleased with tonight. I was fighting the pukes...and I lost.

Terrible session,
IRBS

mark
02-04-09, 9:58 pm
fat guy in a little suit, fat guy in a little suit...

Hahaha...

Way to push it till you puke... Hoo-yah!

IRBS
02-05-09, 9:12 am
fat guy in a little suit, fat guy in a little suit...

Hahaha...

Way to push it till you puke... Hoo-yah!

LOL, yeah, looks like I may be pulling raw at the meet. Not that I am getting much out of the suit anyway...

ghost
02-05-09, 9:14 am

Will, i must say i just spit half of my breakfast all over my computer screen reading that one.

IRBS
02-05-09, 5:18 pm
Will, i must say i just spit half of my breakfast all over my computer screen reading that one.

LOL, well my dinner came up, so......

Seriously, I am thinking the suit is just too tight. This is not the first time it has happened...

IRBS
02-06-09, 8:09 am
"Kind Of" ME BENCH

Raw Bench (pinky's on rings, full ROM):
135x10
225x5
added reverse Purple Bands (0 at lockout, maybe 50-60 at the chest):
315x3
365x3
405x1
455x1
405x6 or 7
315x12

Hammer Strength Incline Press:
3 sets of 8

Reverse Peck Deck (ss with HS Incline):
3 sets of 12

Pull Downs:
6 or 7 sets of 12-6 reps

Bi's, tri's, etc.

Ok night. We were down a man and were at the gym late (we get there at 8, gym closes at 9, so we lock up whenever we leave) so there wqere no spots around, so we didnt get too heavy.

Nothin Special,
IRBS

IRBS
02-07-09, 1:22 pm
ME Squat at Gold's in Gadsden, AL

Reverse Band Squat (0 at the top, about 100-120 in the hole):
barx8
255x5
added briefs:
355x3
465x1
555x1
605x1
665x1
755x1

Video from today (just 2 clips): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTPm39vOVIA

Then we were out. We only had time to squat today and we felt great. I hit a very easy 755. 800 wouldve went I think. Carter hit a 1005 on his last set. With the Reverse band setup we had today, it was pretty much helping zero at lockout and about 100lbs in the hole. So it was a great session.

Closing in on meet day,
IRBS

prowrestler
02-07-09, 1:28 pm

barx8
255x5
added briefs:
355x3
465x1
555x1
605x1
665x1
755x1

Then we were out. We only had time to squat today and we felt great. I hit a very easy 755. 800 wouldve went I think. Carter hit a 1005 on his last set. With the Reverse band setup we had today, it was pretty much helping zero at lockout and about 100lbs in the hole. So it was a great session.

Closing in on meet day,
IRBS

u wrecked 755 in half, it looked like speed work out of the hole

SQUAT or DIE!
02-07-09, 1:50 pm

barx8
255x5
added briefs:
355x3
465x1
555x1
605x1
665x1
755x1

Closing in on meet day,
IRBS

next time add some weight to that bar..... i dont think i move an empty bar that fast...

mark
02-07-09, 5:21 pm
Strong squats bro.

Looks like you're getting some solid depth these days.

IRBS
02-07-09, 5:31 pm
u wrecked 755 in half, it looked like speed work out of the hole

Thanks man

next time add some weight to that bar..... i dont think i move an empty bar that fast...
Thanks man. I wouldve done one more set but the spotters we had had to leave...

Strong squats bro.

Looks like you're getting some solid depth these days.

Thanks Mark. I could probably stand to get a little lower....

IRBS
02-08-09, 6:58 pm
Bench Accessory

Raw Bench:
barx20
135x10
225x3
2-board:
275x3
315x3
335x3
365x3

Superset 1:
Reverse Peck Deck:
3 sets of 12 reps
Push Downs:
3 sets of 20-12 reps

Superset 2:
Low Cable Rows:
6 sets of 10-6 reps
Side Laterals:
6 sets of 8-5 reps

Superset 3:
BB Shrugs:
225x20
315x20
405x20
405x10
Band Pullaparts:
4 sets of 15

Superset 4:
Bi's and Abs

Good session. Lots of high rep stuff. Elbows were feeling funky, so I didnt push the bench at all. Just an accessory day, nothing to write home about. I am down in bodyweight about 7 or 8 pounds right now, but I feel good and my strength is going no where. I've been cleaning up my diet a bit, nothing too extreme, but I've gotta get my cholersterol down just a hair, LOL, so I wont be eating as much red meat or fatty stuff, basically just cleaning the diet up a bit and see where it gets me. As long as my strength doesnt suffer, I am not worried about it.

By next fall I need to hit 800-575-625+...
IRBS

IRBS
02-10-09, 9:01 pm
DE SQ/DL

Speed Box Squats against doubled purple's
(I dont know what the tension was, but each band was easily picking up a 150lbs DB, so it was at least 300-325 total):
barx6
145x3
briefs:
235x2
285x2
325x2
375x2

Sumo Speed Pulls:
225x3
345x3
435x3
345x3
345x3

GHR's with the back elevated 5inches:
3 sets of 8

Hanging Leg Raises:
3 sets of 10

Out. Very solid speed night for me. Everything felt great. Last set of squats was 675-700 at the top, so I am very pleased with that. Walking that band tension out sucks...

On track,
IRBS

NJC_Manhattan
02-10-09, 9:06 pm
SQ/DL Assistance

SSB Skwats, walked out:
Barx8
165x5
205x3
255x3

Reverse Band Deadlifts:
245x3
445x2
Added single ply suit:
445x1
535x1
655xmiss - couldn't hold the puke down and coughed mid pull...this flew off the floor and I wouldve locked it out...I was pissed off after this

Back Attack, Abs, Pull Throughs, Hamstrings

Not too pleased with tonight. I was fighting the pukes...and I lost.

Terrible session,
IRBS

I'm speechless... Your deadlifts are vicious...

J Wong
02-10-09, 9:48 pm
Nice DE squat session man.

prowrestler
02-10-09, 11:32 pm
DE SQ/DL

Speed Box Squats against doubled purple's
(I dont know what the tension was, but each band was easily picking up a 150lbs DB, so it was at least 300-325 total):
barx6
145x3
briefs:
235x2
285x2
325x2
375x2

Sumo Speed Pulls:
225x3
345x3
435x3
345x3
345x3

GHR's with the back elevated 5inches:
3 sets of 8

Hanging Leg Raises:
3 sets of 10

Out. Very solid speed night for me. Everything felt great. Last set of squats was 675-700 at the top, so I am very pleased with that. Walking that band tension out sucks...

On track,
IRBS

always impressive big man.speed under 700 pounds of tension is damn impressive

Themostocles
02-11-09, 1:16 am

x2

IRBS
02-11-09, 8:03 am
I'm speechless... Your deadlifts are vicious...

Nice DE squat session man.

x2

Thanks fellas. It's gotta transfer to the platform to matter.

IRBS
02-12-09, 11:24 pm
ME BENCH

Raw Bench, all reps to the chest:
barx20
135x10
135x10
225x5
225x3
275x3
315x3
335x10 - PR
365x1
385x1
405x1
425x1 - huge PR

HS Rows:
4 sets of 8

Reverse Peck Deck:
4 sets of 10

Pull Ups:
BWx8 for 3 sets

DB Curls:
8 sets of 10-6

Rope Pushdowns:
8 sets of 12

Side Laterals:
a few light sets of 10

Killer session. This is my last heavy raw bench session until the meet. 335 for 10 fully locked out reps was a big PR and then working up to 425 off the chest was a huge PR. 405 was very fast, 425 was a little slower, but no sticking point. Very please with that. I cruised through the rest of the workout. I will be getting in the shirt Sunday.

We must be doing something right,
IRBS

J Wong
02-12-09, 11:25 pm
Crazy benching today!!

NJC_Manhattan
02-12-09, 11:28 pm
Sick lifting man... Im curious, what are you weighing in at these days bro?

prowrestler
02-12-09, 11:55 pm
ooooo, 425 is a sick raw bench dude! i like the fact u hit 335x10 before hand aswell and managed that

IRBS
02-13-09, 8:10 am
Crazy benching today!!

Sick lifting man... Im curious, what are you weighing in at these days bro?
Weighing around 275 right now. I am 6'3, so having long arms is not an excuse for anybody...

ooooo, 425 is a sick raw bench dude! i like the fact u hit 335x10 before hand aswell and managed that

Thanks fellas. I've been working towards that 425 for a while now. Nice to reach it.

IRBS
02-14-09, 3:39 pm
ME SQ/DL

Raw Squats, walked out:
barx10
145x5
235x5
325x1
375x1
415x1
465x1
505x1

Sumo Pulls against Purple Bands:
briefs:
315x2
405x1
405x1
405x1

GHR's:
3 sets of 8

Purple Band Knee Spreads:
3 sets of 10

Sled Pulls (each trip was approx 50 yards, give or take):
2 trips forward
2 trips backwards

Good workout. The 505 raw squat was smooth. I will probably pull conventional at the meet, but over the summer I am really going to focus on pulling Sumo. It shortens my pull by at least 6 inches, and being 6'3, I need all the help I can get with shortening my stroke. The purple bands really kick in hard at about the knee level on the pulls with how we set it up,so the top is rough.

Solid day,
IRBS

T o m m Y
02-14-09, 3:50 pm
very solid lifting bro

i was wondering what weight class are you gonna be competing in?

mark
02-14-09, 4:06 pm
Strong lifting Will.

Your raw strength has really been increasing a lot lately.
Has me rethinking my training approach some...

T o m m Y
02-14-09, 4:17 pm
mark,your doing 5/3/1 correct?

IRBS
02-14-09, 4:24 pm
very solid lifting bro

i was wondering what weight class are you gonna be competing in?

Thanks man. I will be a 275.

Strong lifting Will.

Your raw strength has really been increasing a lot lately.
Has me rethinking my training approach some...

Thanks Mark. We have somehow figured out how to increase our raw and geared strength at the same time with our training program that we have put together over time. We really need to write it out. I think after we get through these next meets we have coming up we will be able to get something written out based on our template. It has really evloved, but whatever it is we are doing is working.

In the last 6-7 months here is my progress (these are all training lifts actually completed in the gym):

Squat:
Raw: Start - 405, Now - 505
Equipped: Start - 500, Now - 725

Bench:
Raw: Start - 385, Now - 425
Equipped: Start - 450, Now - 515

Deadlift:
Raw: Start - 515, Now - 565
Geared: ????

So, what we are doing is working. Rule of thumb is to be smart, dont miss any weights, and always leave something left.

It works,
IRBS

mark
02-14-09, 4:29 pm
mark,your doing 5/3/1 correct?

Yes, I will be starting the 5/3/1 again next weekend (with some educated modifications) when I get to a place with a better gym facility.

mark
02-14-09, 4:37 pm
Would be interested in the write up of the plan...

I'll send you what I have in mind later. I'm still debating a few odds and ends that I'm sure my friends Jack and Jim will help me clarify later this evening.

prowrestler
02-14-09, 4:49 pm
nice squattin man

thats alot of progress over 6 months, did you gain much weight during that time frame?

IRBS
02-14-09, 5:08 pm
Would be interested in the write up of the plan...

I'll send you what I have in mind later. I'm still debating a few odds and ends that I'm sure my friends Jack and Jim will help me clarify later this evening.

Cool, sounds good. I'm pretty sure you have a good idea of what we've been doing. I'll try to fill in the blanks for you though.

Hope Jack and Jim are good to you. They have a tendancy to be assholes....LOL

nice squattin man

thats alot of progress over 6 months, did you gain much weight during that time frame?

Thanks man. Not really, last summer I was about 268-270. I am right at 275 now. That is hardly any weight gain and my strength gains can not be attributed to that. It must be the training. There have been no other variables.

IRBS
02-15-09, 4:45 pm
Bench Assistance

PullDowns:
3 sets of 10

Decline CG Bench (only about a 10 degree decline):
barx10
135x10
185x10
225x8
275x8
275x8
275x8

DB Floor Press with Purple Band Behind Back:
3 sets of 12, last set was 70's

Low Cable Rows:
6 sets of 12-5

Rear Delts, Bi's and Tri's to finish it out

Good session. Nothing crazy, just getting a pump on and some assistance work in.

In and out,
IRBS

prowrestler
02-15-09, 4:52 pm
Bench Assistance

PullDowns:
3 sets of 10

Decline CG Bench (only about a 10 degree decline):
barx10
135x10
185x10
225x8
275x8
275x8
275x8

DB Floor Press with Purple Band Behind Back:
3 sets of 12, last set was 70's

Low Cable Rows:
6 sets of 12-5

Rear Delts, Bi's and Tri's to finish it out

Good session. Nothing crazy, just getting a pump on and some assistance work in.

In and out,
IRBS

hmmm, decline CG, sounds goood

SQUAT or DIE!
02-15-09, 5:28 pm
decline CG?? interesting... good work man..

Thrawn
02-15-09, 5:41 pm
I had been wondering about you, IRBS...
Sorry it took me so long to realize you might have started a new log. I will play the 'must be my age-card' here.
Subbed again.

Themostocles
02-16-09, 1:42 am
Nice assistance work. Does the decline ever hurt your shoulders? It usually does mine, didn't know if it was a biomechanical issue, or that I am just a puss lol

IRBS
02-16-09, 9:15 am
hmmm, decline CG, sounds goood

decline CG?? interesting... good work man..

Thanks fellas. We dont always flat bench. Gotta mix it up sometimes. We are getting in our shirts on Tuesday, so there was no reason to go balls out on flat bench.

I had been wondering about you, IRBS...
Sorry it took me so long to realize you might have started a new log. I will play the 'must be my age-card' here.
Subbed again.

No worries man. Thanks for coming along!

Nice assistance work. Does the decline ever hurt your shoulders? It usually does mine, didn't know if it was a biomechanical issue, or that I am just a puss lol

Thanks T. LOL, well, you probably either 1) have a biomechanical issue or 2) a weakness in your front delts/shoulders that is holding you back...ie - your triceps and chest can handle more than your shoulders. If I was betting I would say it is #2. Work on your front delts and see if it works. If decline is still painful, dont do them.

IRBS
02-17-09, 11:52 pm
ME BENCH

Raw Bench:
barx25
135x8

Reverse Purple Band Bench (70lbs at the chest, 40-50lbs at the board, 0 at lockout):
225x5
315x3
405x1
added shirt:
3-board:
495x1
585x1
545x1 - this was actually a misload, lol, but it was very easy...was supposed to be:
635x1 - PR - smoke, held at lockout for about 5 seconds

HS Rows:
4 sets of 8-5 reps

Reverse Peck Deck ss with Palms Facing Pulldowns:
3 sets of 12/10 reps

One Big Set:
Pushdowns:
3 sets of 12

Spider DB Curls:
3 sets of 8

DB Shrugs:
3 sets of 15

Out. Really solid night for me in the gym. 635 was a massive PR and right where I needed to be tonight. Everything was just "on" so I was pleased. I am currently snacking on a sirloin and red potatos...awesome.

Beef,
IRBS

SQUAT or DIE!
02-18-09, 12:34 am
someones been eating there vitamins and oreos!!!

635 is crazy man

Themostocles
02-18-09, 1:03 am
x2. Not too shabby of a session lol

IRBS
02-18-09, 9:21 am
someones been eating there vitamins and oreos!!!

635 is crazy man

x2. Not too shabby of a session lol

LOL, thanks fellas. No oreos right now, been eating fairly clean for the past few weeks.

Themostocles
02-18-09, 9:55 am
2) a weakness in your front delts/shoulders that is holding you back...ie - your triceps and chest can handle more than your shoulders. If I was betting I would say it is #2. Work on your front delts and see if it works. If decline is still painful, dont do them.

Do you reccomend anything in particular for working the front delts?

IRBS
02-18-09, 10:13 am

The only thing I do is pressing and front raises...any type of shoulder movement will help. You just gotta experiment.

prowrestler
02-18-09, 10:56 am
standing barbell strict press is an awsome lift people forget about too often, if your not doin them, try it out for a couple weeks.

635 is a huuuge fuckin lift! good on that IRBS