PDA

View Full Version : Barbell of choice???

Mattman33
12-14-08, 2:20 pm
I am in the position to influence my gym's owner in the purchase of 2 new bars for our gym. I have searched online, but wondered what bars do the animals like? I know there seems to be a big difference in them, and want to try to get the best purchase for my gym's money.

Thanks for the suggestions...

redskin 344
12-14-08, 4:27 pm
For Squats I think the Buffalo Bar is badass. Not only does it look and sound like a warriors barbell but the curve seems to be perfect for squatting heavy.

BryanSmash!
12-14-08, 4:34 pm
Talk the owner into spending money on a 2 inch thick bar. They are expensive, but well worth the cash.

Tiny
12-14-08, 5:03 pm
I am in the position to influence my gym's owner in the purchase of 2 new bars for our gym. I have searched online, but wondered what bars do the animals like? I know there seems to be a big difference in them, and want to try to get the best purchase for my gym's money.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Just get him to get a real squat bar and a real deadlift bar - then, keep them under lock because if you do not, all the yahoos will be fucking them up doing "T" bar rows and mixing them up and shit. really it depends on what your gym NEEDS to get from the bars. Most folks in most gyms would not be able to make the distinction between types of bars unless they are specially shaped or some other goofy shit. BUT if you have guys squatting a shit load of weight, then get a real squat bar - something rated for huge weights and long enough to be able to fit enough plates on it. Also, a squat bar has serious knurling in the center to grab your mid/lower traps, and the bar is rigid so you can get it out of the rack without too much flex which would make it tough to get out (the wrong bars will flex and then you will be damned near on your toes trying to get it out). Same with a deadlift bar - how serious are you all deadlifting? Deadlift bars and bench bars usually do not have any knurling in the middle - no reason why it would. But the dead bar has viscious deep cut knurling where it is gripped. And, a good dead bar is flexable - it is the opposite of the squat bar. A good dead bar will have adequate spring to it.

Mattman33
12-14-08, 5:24 pm
Just get him to get a real squat bar and a real deadlift bar - then, keep them under lock because if you do not, all the yahoos will be fucking them up doing "T" bar rows and mixing them up and shit.

Thanks for the advice. We have more guys deadlifting here than heavy squatting, although I am personally wqorking to change that. I want to try to get him to get one of each, but we will see. Will either bar do for benching???

fenix237
12-18-08, 5:25 pm
interesting topic- at my Gold's, I believe there are 2/3 different bars they use. One of them is a bit thicker where you grip it. I've asked several people and nobody knows whether or how much more these bars weigh; I'm guessing 5 lbs (50lbs) more?

prowrestler
12-18-08, 5:56 pm
like tiny said

a real deadlift bar and a real squat bar

check elitefts.com's shop

shizz702
12-18-08, 6:00 pm
From what I gather Eleiko makes some of the best quality barbells, and I'd love to have one of their top end models.

MVP
12-18-08, 8:36 pm
Thickbar / standard oly. bar are the best bars, all you really need. Outside of a pullup bar of course.

shizz702
12-18-08, 8:48 pm
Thickbar / standard oly. bar are the best bars, all you really need. Outside of a pullup bar of course.

Hell yea man, I got all 3!

prowrestler
12-18-08, 8:55 pm
i made a barbell out of a hockey stick when i was younger (ya im fuckin canadain, eh?)

the grip was interesting, then i got stronger and it broke. then a got a real barbell set and then rejoined the gym.

pullups on trees where sick, the need to make thick bar pullup bars

Tiny
12-21-08, 1:29 pm
Thanks for the advice. We have more guys deadlifting here than heavy squatting, although I am personally wqorking to change that. I want to try to get him to get one of each, but we will see. Will either bar do for benching???

No way - like I said, a real deadlift bar will flex too much and when you get weight on it (real weight - if you ain't using that kind of weight then you don't need this serious of a bar) it is going to sag on the bench and you won't get it out of the uprights. A good dead bar springs - so when you pull with it, it gives and raises just a bit in the middle first before the ends start coming up and when they do come up, a trained lifter can exploit that spring to some degree. Anyway - doubtful you will find REAL hardcore bars in Gold's - just because they need to be respected and they are not for the average gym-goer who would fuck them up just out of ignorance as to how they are used and when. Cats like Big Dog (Gene) are not benching a grand with that shit you see in Golds - fuck, those bars are maybe good to 700 if lucky before they snap in half or at least bend out of shape permanently. Ask any of the real powerlifters on this forum about bars and they can school you as to what is truly what. You can't even fit 1,000 pounds of weight plus collars on those standard oly bars you see in gyms. Now, there are a lot of specially shaped and bent bars for all kinds of shit - I ain't talking about any of that because I have no use for them. I am only talking about straight, olympic bars - the heavy duty shit used to move the heaviest of weights (but even with lesser weights, a real dead bar and a real squat bar still rule and do feel a lot differently, in my opinion).

Tiny
12-21-08, 1:31 pm
i made a barbell out of a hockey stick when i was younger (ya im fuckin canadain, eh?)

the grip was interesting, then i got stronger and it broke. then a got a real barbell set and then rejoined the gym.

pullups on trees where sick, the need to make thick bar pullup bars

That's some sick, hardcore ingenuity right there. I've been there with the home made shit, but that one is fucking great.

Mattman33
12-21-08, 2:48 pm
Ask any of the real powerlifters on this forum about bars and they can school you as to what is truly what.

Thanks for the input everyone! I know there is a lot that I need to learn, and that is exactly why I made this post.

Littlefry
12-21-08, 7:58 pm
All the barbell's at my gym are pretty much the same, with the same weight some are jsut more worn out then others but I dont care I use whatever I can get my hands on.