PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good diet for bulking?

dmac1850
12-16-08, 9:00 am
ok so I'm new to this and when I bulked before for football I just ate whatever but now I'm trying to do it the right way. My diet is a follows

Meal 1: Weight Gainer 2200 shake and a bagel with PB.
Meal 2: 3 turkey or chicken sanwiches on whole wheat.
Meal 3: 1 cup brown rice and 2 cans tuna
Meal 4: 2 cheese burgers
Meal 5: Protein shake
Meal 6: oatmeal and another weight gainer shake.
Thanks.

dmac1850
12-16-08, 10:22 am
ohh and I'm 6'0" 220, trying to get to about 235-240.

GJN5002
12-16-08, 10:44 am
Looks decent, but there isnt much fat in your diet. Depending on how your body reacts to fat, I would try to get som egood fat in there (not more cheesburgers), some nuts, peanut butter, salmon, etc etc. Also, the gainer and bagel meal prob has a ridiculous amount of carbs and moderate protein. Im assuming its like 200 carbs and 40 g protein, if so Id cut out the bagel and throw in a scoop of protein powder in your weight ganer shake. All in all, you could prob use the diet as is and do alright.

prowrestler
12-16-08, 11:10 am
ok so I'm new to this and when I bulked before for football I just ate whatever but now I'm trying to do it the right way. My diet is a follows

Meal 1: Weight Gainer 2200 shake and a bagel with PB.
Meal 2: 3 turkey or chicken sanwiches on whole wheat.
Meal 3: 1 cup brown rice and 2 cans tuna
Meal 4: 2 cheese burgers
Meal 5: Protein shake
Meal 6: oatmeal and another weight gainer shake.
Thanks.

answere this...

does your diet have 4000-5500 cals?
does your diet have 220-440 grams protein?

if you say yes to both, its a solid bulking diet

Pizzalamp
12-16-08, 11:25 am
i think the quality of calories is more important than just the quantity...

prowrestler
12-16-08, 11:30 am

yes, but quantity is important too. if he eats a super clean 1000 cals, he aint gonna grow lol

but generaly, if he is eating a high protien diet, the cals should be clean..if he is eating 100 grams protien but hits 5500 clas a day...something went wrong.

but ya, use your head and keep most of them clean cals.

GJN5002
12-16-08, 12:08 pm

agreed

dmac1850
12-16-08, 12:15 pm
ok thanks, that makes alot of sense, I'm gonna go back and add up the calories in what I eat and check the protein intake, and I'm def gonna throw in the peanutbutter and protein powder.

Aggression
12-16-08, 1:07 pm
Like everyone else said, get a count on the calories. It also depends on what you are looking for. IMO, that diet is more geared towards overall increased weight, not direct muscular weight. If you are looking to bulk up cleanly, I'd suggest keeping it pretty strict on a regular basis, with a few cheat meals thrown in there during the week, maybe 3-4. Those 3-4 cheats can be your 2 cheeseburgers.

stumblin54
12-16-08, 4:52 pm
I would recommend adding some food to meal 5. Three whole food and three liquid meals are fine, but try staggering them so you do not end up with two liquid meals in a row.

Stumblin

T. Kemble
12-16-08, 5:14 pm
count the calories, get away from supplements and eat more whole foods.

if you are just lifting for shear size and dont care about getting sloppy, then by all means eat a cheeseburger every day, because thats going to put weight on you.

quality over quantity.

if i were to revamp your diet it'd look like...

meal 1: weightgainer shake with 1 cup egg whites and 1/2 cup oats mixed into it (thats an easy 1500-2000 calories)

meal 2: 2 sandwiches on whole wheat with fruit/veggies (700ish)

meal 3: 1 cup brown rice 2 cans tuna + veggies (600ish)

meal 4: 2 cheeseburgers on whole wheat buns with a salad (1000ish)

meal 5: 30-50g whey with 30-50g carbs (oatmeal preferably) (400ish)

meal 6: oatmeal/whole wheat pancakes and eggs OR chicken/beef/pork/fish and rice/whole wheat pasta + veggies (750ish)

so that leaves you with about 4400ish calories. you are going to gain weight if you eat like this, its not rocket science.
good luck, just dont neglect the fruits and veggies to add mass

prowrestler
12-16-08, 5:35 pm
count the calories, get away from supplements and eat more whole foods.

if you are just lifting for shear size and dont care about getting sloppy, then by all means eat a cheeseburger every day, because thats going to put weight on you.

quality over quantity.

if i were to revamp your diet it'd look like...

meal 1: weightgainer shake with 1 cup egg whites and 1/2 cup oats mixed into it (thats an easy 1500-2000 calories)

meal 2: 2 sandwiches on whole wheat with fruit/veggies (700ish)

meal 3: 1 cup brown rice 2 cans tuna + veggies (600ish)

meal 4: 2 cheeseburgers on whole wheat buns with a salad (1000ish)

meal 5: 30-50g whey with 30-50g carbs (oatmeal preferably) (400ish)

meal 6: oatmeal/whole wheat pancakes and eggs OR chicken/beef/pork/fish and rice/whole wheat pasta + veggies (750ish)

so that leaves you with about 4400ish calories. you are going to gain weight if you eat like this, its not rocket science.
good luck, just dont neglect the fruits and veggies to add mass

2000 cals a meal for a 220 is way too much. 1400 max unless its a buffet or foods free.

futurefreak101
12-16-08, 5:41 pm
i dunno that doesnt sound even near a bulk diet to me..i think i average 12 meals per day.

prowrestler
12-16-08, 5:44 pm
i dunno that doesnt sound even near a bulk diet to me..i think i average 12 meals per day.

lol

its all about macros, protien and total cals.

futurefreak101
12-16-08, 5:46 pm
lol

its all about macros, protien and total cals.

yea but i dunno that just sounds like a horrible diet to me...how could u eat 3 turkey sandwhiches in a row?

prowrestler
12-16-08, 5:58 pm
yea but i dunno that just sounds like a horrible diet to me...how could u eat 3 turkey sandwhiches in a row?

i can do 3 chicken pitas in a row that are loaded with garlic mayo and turnups and salad lol.

meh, what works works

futurefreak101
12-16-08, 8:04 pm
i can do 3 chicken pitas in a row that are loaded with garlic mayo and turnups and salad lol.

meh, what works works

hhahah i understand...but i can make a natty peanut butter sandwhich on whole grain bread thats probably more calories then all 3 of those sandwhiches combined...know what im saying....next time you eat you wont even be that hungry...after eating 3 sandwhiches...then 2 hours later eating again...but like u said what works works.

dmac1850
12-16-08, 8:48 pm
hey thanks alot, yeah i dont do the burgers everyday, thats just what the school had for luch, usually i pack all of my food except one of my 2 lunches which is whatever the school has. Some days it's chicken, fish, beef, pork, or some meat product, i usually just double oprder whatever it is and grab the veggies that they have.ohh and just wondering but is it that big of a difference if I have the whole egg or just the egg white?

futurefreak101
12-16-08, 9:02 pm
hey thanks alot, yeah i dont do the burgers everyday, thats just what the school had for luch, usually i pack all of my food except one of my 2 lunches which is whatever the school has. Some days it's chicken, fish, beef, pork, or some meat product, i usually just double oprder whatever it is and grab the veggies that they have.ohh and just wondering but is it that big of a difference if I have the whole egg or just the egg white?

whatever you prefer..whole eggs are awesome..and good for you....but if u prefer egg whites...go for them too..less calories though.

LegendKillerJosh
12-16-08, 9:22 pm
to get to 240 you will need approximately 5100 calories per day minimum, 350g protein minimum, and 500 carbs minimum, which would give you 3400 calories, so you will want to take in probably 150g of fat per day as well. Keep in mind those are minimums, so feel free to go over. If you're going to eat just 6 times per day, those meals should be atleast 850 calories each. But I wouldn't worry to much about these calculations and just constantly eat as much you can, and use liquid calories like shakes and fruit juice when you are too full from food.

T. Kemble
12-17-08, 7:35 pm
2000 cals a meal for a 220 is way too much. 1400 max unless its a buffet or foods free.

haha says who? phelps packed down 3000+ calories per seating.

futurefreak101
12-17-08, 8:21 pm
haha says who? phelps packed down 3000+ calories per seating.

wolrd class swimmer..all the dude did was burn calories...he said if he didnt eat that much he could drop nearly 10 pounds a week...alot different then going in the gym and lifting weights for an hour to hour and half. lol.