PDA

View Full Version : biceps before triceps

expert_newb
12-16-08, 5:40 pm
I was looking at one of the training splits provided by Animalpak in the training section of the site ( I believe it was the very last training split), and one thing caught my eye. On arm day it said to always start off with biceps first. Why is that? I usually prefer starting with triceps myself because I thought a bicep pump would interfere with my tricep workout ( I find bicep pumps have a unique feeling). I would hate to think that the way I sam doing things is putting myself at risk of being injured. What's the deal?

btw I am a new member and I think this site rocks!

prowrestler
12-16-08, 5:43 pm
I was looking at one of the training splits provided by Animalpak in the training section of the site ( I believe it was the very last training split), and one thing caught my eye. On arm day it said to always start off with biceps first. Why is that? I usually prefer starting with triceps myself because I thought a bicep pump would interfere with my tricep workout ( I find bicep pumps have a unique feeling). I would hate to think that the way I sam doing things is putting myself at risk of being injured. What's the deal?

btw I am a new member and I think this site rocks!

welcome aboard man.

the bicep pump will give the triceps a cushioning effect. plain and simple. try it out for yourself and see how the triceps work when the biceps are filled up with blood.

bigffmike
12-16-08, 5:44 pm
Hey Bro Welcome. I am no expert, I would think Bi before Tri due to the Bi's being a bigger muscle. I do my Bi's first.

prowrestler
12-16-08, 5:45 pm
Hey Bro Welcome. I am no expert, I would think Bi before Tri due to the Bi's being a bigger muscle. I do my Bi's first.

bi is less then half the size of the tricep.

bigffmike
12-16-08, 6:13 pm

Thanks for the info bro, I learned something new today.. This is why I love the Forvm.

prowrestler
12-16-08, 6:37 pm
Thanks for the info bro, I learned something new today.. This is why I love the Forvm.

you had the right idea, just the wrong execution.

principal was correct. bigger muscle normally gets trained before. but the bicep and tricep are both small and recover quick and they are part of our AK 47's so they are special lol

bicep 1/3 arm, tricep 2/3

Little Z
12-16-08, 6:43 pm
i hit tri's twice during my split..

light on chest day and pound em on shoulders..

bi's with my back..

shizz702
12-16-08, 6:56 pm
I personally don't think it is necessary to have an arm day, but I would think the best thing to do if you're gonna have a day for arms is alternate the exercises. Start off with a tricep (or bicep, really don't think it matters too much) then hit a bicep exercise. By doing that you'll allow the fatigue and lactic acid build up to decrease and will hit each exercise strong.

ionicrod
12-16-08, 8:40 pm
I usually super-set biceps with triceps, doing the tri exercise first then going straight to a bicep exercise, i.e. do a set of tris, then do a set of bis. As prowrestler stated, most will want to to do the tricep exercise first, since its the larger muscle, I do anyway.

simpleguy
12-17-08, 4:31 am
I sometimes superset the two, if not I start with tris... but I'll try to start with bis sometime, see how that goes

mustgetbig
12-17-08, 11:22 am
i agree with shizz for me i get better results if i hit up a bicep exercise then a tricep exercise then a bicep exercise then another tricep exercise then on my last exercises of both of them ill superset between the two muscles

rayzer27
12-17-08, 11:28 am
If you're doing a split like Chest/Bi...i usually do bi's last..unless you are talking about doing strictly arms.

Aggression
12-17-08, 11:35 am

Absolutely

Its all preference. I'd say to hit biceps before triceps IMO. Right now I alternate each week, and I do arms together on the same day. I'd say either hit biceps before triceps, or alternate them each week, with triceps then biceps the next week. What about a superset with arms? I do them occasionally for a nice shock to the system.

elpadrino
12-17-08, 1:25 pm
this site and animalpak is the best !!!!!!!! best wishes from serbia

expert_newb
12-17-08, 4:22 pm
Thx guys for all the input!

prowrestler
12-17-08, 4:30 pm
when i use to bodybuild and have an arm day, id do biceps first normally cause it took me like 10mins to do them.

barbell curls for heavy sets, 4 of them then down the rack hammer curls. that was pretty much it.

then id bomb triceps out with close grip dips and other basic barbell moves

pmug0000
12-18-08, 12:59 am
I always start with tri's because I feel like they need more work than my bi's. If one or the other is lagging hit it up first. If not it probably doesn't make much of a difference which you start with.

DanTheMan
12-24-08, 2:53 pm
my split is chest and biceps on monday, (legs tuesday, wednesday off) and triceps and shoulders on thursday. any imput?

mustgetbig
12-24-08, 3:46 pm
my split is chest and biceps on monday, (legs tuesday, wednesday off) and triceps and shoulders on thursday. any imput?

if its working keep doing it if not change it

MVP
12-24-08, 4:08 pm

If someones biceps are bigger then their triceps they are badly unproportioned.

Triceps make up 2/3 of the arm.

npeezy
12-24-08, 10:50 pm

no back day?

MVP
12-25-08, 2:11 am

You need to be working the back. Deadlifts, barbell rows, pullups are all you need. They do wonders for back mass, and believe it or not - but the ladies love a developed back.

If this works. I would include, just except I would add a back day. Although I disagree with splits personally. If I were to go on a split it'd be this.

Day 1 (Chest & Triceps)

Day 3 (Back & Biceps)

Day 5 (Legs & Shoulders)

With an day 2 & 4 being dedicated to cardio. At the end of each session preforming a grip and / or ab exercise.

DanTheMan
12-25-08, 10:38 am
You need to be working the back. Deadlifts, barbell rows, pullups are all you need. They do wonders for back mass, and believe it or not - but the ladies love a developed back.

If this works. I would include, just except I would add a back day. Although I disagree with splits personally. If I were to go on a split it'd be this.

Day 1 (Chest & Triceps)

Day 3 (Back & Biceps)

Day 5 (Legs & Shoulders)

With an day 2 & 4 being dedicated to cardio. At the end of each session preforming a grip and / or ab exercise.

oh my fault! i forgot to include my friday's. which is back :D thanks guys for lookin out haha. yeah I was just zoning in on biceps and triceps on this post and totally exlcuded my back day :) I also do a little powercleans on backdays too

DanTheMan
12-25-08, 10:39 am
and just to say, i'm on a 4 day split