PDA

View Full Version : JustJ's Journey: First Log Ever

JustJ
12-16-08, 9:02 pm
Alright, so this is the introduction post to my log. This is my first log, so bear with me if it isn't perfect. Also, I am not claiming to be big or strong, just on the journey to get there. A couple of disclaimers before we get started: 1) I DO deadlift, just decided to skip it for now (sacrilegious I know, right?) 2) I DO squat, however I wanted to give hack squats a shot to target my quads more; if I hate them, I'll go back to barbell squats (which will happen after 3 or 4 weeks anyway) 3) I know many people aren't a fan of decline bench pressing, and while I haven't done it in months, and that was the first time in over a year, I made good gains with it when I first started. And like people say, stick with what works.
I'm going to be doing a 3-day split, just for time convenience. I've tried doing my 3-day splits before with Chest/Bi's, Shoulders/Legs, and Back/Tris, as well doing chest and back on the same day, a separate day for legs, and arms on their own day. Didn't notice much benefit of one versus the other, however this time I will be pairing Chest/Bi's, Back/Legs, and Shoulders/Tri's.
I've been lifting for about 3-1/2 years now, slowly learning as I go and getting better at my diet and training. I also went through a fairly serious cut (when I didn't weight much to begin with) and had to bulk up from there. I weighed 154 lbs after that cut in the summer of 2006, and I now weigh 205 lbs. I am 6'0” tall and would guess my body fat is around 12%.
I'm taking this week off since I haven't taken a week off in awhile, and I will be starting my log next Monday. I hope I can stick with it, though I am expecting a new baby any day now and I'm sure that will disrupt things a bit. I welcome any suggestions, criticisms, corrections. I'm thinking about doing my reps 12/10/8/8, but we'll see how that goes. I'm also hoping to stick with this for 4-8 weeks, making only minor changes such as exercise substitutions or rep/set changes, but we'll see- I get pretty bored after doing the same thing for a few weeks.
Alright, well enough jibber jabber, the next time I post will be the start of the log.

JustJ
12-21-08, 4:47 pm
Alright, so lately I haven't had much motivation to lift, and decided to take a week off. It helped big time, and I feel refreshed and excited about lifting again. I was a little disappointed with my numbers this workout; I've done a lot of 5x5 stuff the past year and not too much high volume work, so I think part of it may be that I just don't have the muscular endurance right now. Either way, here is the first day:
Chest/Bi's:
Decline BB Press
155x12, 185x9, 205x9, 225x6
Incline DB Press
35x12, 40x10, 45x8, 50x7
Flat DB Flies
25x11, 30x8, 30x8
Straight BB Curl
50x12, 55x10, 60x6
DB Spider Curl
15x10, 20x8, 20x7
Cross-Body DB Hammer Curl
15x10, 20x8, 25x6

I skipped my calf raises today as I was short on time. I'm also considering doing partials on my bench press in the lower range of the rep...It's my sticking point, and I'm wondering if maybe it would stimulate some growth. Any thoughts? Next workout will be Tuesday, for back and legs.

JustJ
12-23-08, 9:17 pm
Back/Legs:

Lat Pulldowns Supersetted with Upright Pulldowns
100x12-->50x10, 120x10-->40x10, 130x8-->40x10, 130x8, 40x10
Reverse Grip BB Rows
95x12, 105x10, 115x8, 125x7
T-Bar Rows (Machine)
45x12, 70x10, 90x8, 115x6
Hack Squats
140x12, 160x10, 180x8, 200x7
BB Lunges
135x8, 135x8, 135x8
SL Deadlifts
95x12, 115x10, 135x8, 155x8
Calf Press
270x25

Today's workout went pretty well. I'm really trying to leave my ego at the door and use weights that I can handle with strict form. I'm probably still going a little too light, but I'm still getting accustomed to the higher rep ranges. I'm also staying light on the SL deadlifts because I haven't done much hamstring training and want to prevent injury by working up to a heavier weight. I think I'll try DB lunges next week- Felt a little awkward with the bar. Also picked up some Animal Stak yesterday, so we'll see what effect that has. Looking forward to shoulders on Friday as I haven't done direct shoulder work in a while, and even longer before that. Hope everyone has a good holiday.

JustJ
12-27-08, 4:24 am
A little disappointed with my numbers again, but happy I've been keeping the intensity high. By the time I got to the DB French Presses my Tri's were fried. My weight has been fluctating a bit lately...I was steady at 206, then atfer a couple weeks was up to 209, then today I was at 204. I really want to make sure I don't drop below 205- that needs to be my minimum weight, and then right now my goal is to get to to 210, hopefully 215.

FRIDAY: Shoulders/Traps/Tri's:

Smith Press
90x12, 110x10, 130x8, 140x6
Seated DB Lat Raise (Dropset)
25x7-20x5-15x5, 25x6-20x4-15x4, 20x7-15x5-10x5
Seated Bent-Over DB Lat Raise
30x7, 25x9, 20x10
BB Shrug Superset with DB Armpit Rows
135x20-->45x8, 185x15-->40x8, 205x12-->40x8, 225x10-->35x10
Cable Pushdown
80x12, 100x10, 120x8
Incline Skullcrushers Superset with Incline CG Bench
50x12-->50x10, 60x10-->60x8, 70x8-->70x4
Overhead DB French Press
50x10, 45x10, 40x10

JustJ
12-28-08, 9:28 pm
Chest/Bi's

Flat Hammer Strength Press
160x12, 170x10, 180x8, 190x7
Incline Hammer Strength Press
90x12, 110x10, 140x8, 160x7
Incline DB Flies
25x11, 30x8, 30x8
Straight BB Curl
55x12, 60x10, 70x7
DB Spider Curl
20x9, 20x8, 25x6
Cross-Body DB Hammer Curl
20x9, 25x8, 30x7

Opted for a couple machines today as there was hardly anyone around that could spot me. Still feeling weak, though my triceps are still really sore from Friday so that might've hindered my pressing. Curls were a little better this week. My weight is still weird...Weighed in on the electric scale at 207, then tried the manual one (like at the doctor's office) and it said 202. I don't know what to believe any more. Either way, I'm too skinny and need to be eating more. I'm going to throw in another protein shake each day and a couple other things and see if that helps. I'm still shooting to get to 210-215, and while I'm always on a quest for my skinny arms to grow, I'm really looking for shoulder, trap, and upper chest improvements right now.

Vaze_06
12-28-08, 9:34 pm
some nice sessions bro, keep it up!

JustJ
12-29-08, 2:03 pm
Ha thanks man. Been pretty unhappy with my numbers. I'm going to stick with it for a little longer though because I want to see some growth and gain that weight.

Vaze_06
12-29-08, 5:20 pm
Ha thanks man. Been pretty unhappy with my numbers. I'm going to stick with it for a little longer though because I want to see some growth and gain that weight.

dont worry bro! keep on eating and training and those numbers will go back up!

JustJ
12-30-08, 6:04 pm
dont worry bro! keep on eating and training and those numbers will go back up!

It's just taking me some adjusting to get used to doing higher reps. But I'm switching up my exercises so I don't get so bored and change the rep scheme before I see any results. But your right, I gotta keep eating...I've been slacking off lately.

JustJ
12-30-08, 6:12 pm
Back/Traps/Legs:

Wide-grip Chins
Bwx30 reps (5 reps each set until I hit 30)
DB Rows
50x12, 60x10, 65x8, 70x7
Seated Cable Rows
100x12, 110x10, 120x8, 130x7
CG BB Shrugs
135x15, 145x13, 155x12, 165x12
Incline DB Shrugs
40x15, 50x12, 55x10
Hack Squats
160x12, 180x10, 200x8, 220x8
SL Deadlifts
135x8, 155x8, 175x8
Calf Press
4PPSx30

Long workout today. I actually did legs first but was too lazy to rearrange my template. Doing pull-ups for the first time in months was humbling- Or more like pathetic ha. I could barely squeeze out 5 a set and they were more like partials. Guess it shows I need to skip the lat pulldowns for awhile and focus on the chins. As pathetic as it is, I may have to use the assisted pull-up machine for a week or two just so I can get the full range of motion. Everything else felt pretty good. My CG shrugs were maybe a little too close of a grip. I skipped lunges today because I knew my trap work would take up more time.

JustJ
12-31-08, 4:40 pm
So I'm thinking about making some minor tweaks to my routine. I'm going to stick with the higher reps, and probably rotate exercises back and forth each week, or whatever I feel like doing as long as I'm targeting what I need to. However, I'm thinking about picking one exercise for each body part and doing a couple rest/pause sets for it as opposed to 4 sets of 8-12 reps. Then, I'm also thinking about picking one exercise per body part and doing X-Reps on each set of that exercise. I figure this adds some more diversity and intensity to my training. I'll see if I can implement it Friday on my Shoulder/Tri day.

JustJ
01-02-09, 6:43 pm
Shoulders//Tri's:

Smith Press (Rest/Pause sets)
130x9-4-3, 140x6-4-3
Front Plate Raise (X-Reps in parenthesis)
25x12(6), 35x9(4), 35x9(4)
Bent-Over DB Lat Raise (Rest/Pause set)
25x13-8-8
Cable Pushdown (X-Reps in parenthesis)
50x12(6), 50x10(5), 60x7(5)
Incline Skullcrushers Superset with Incline CG Bench
55x8-->55x7, 55x7-->55x6, 55x8-->55x7
Overhead DB French Press (Rest/Pause sets)
50x9-4-4, 55x7-4-3

So today's workout went pretty well. Digging front plate raises. Throwing in those X-Reps and Rest/Pause sets fried my triceps so I my numbers were down a little on some sets, but I think it was worth it since I felt like I did more damage (in a good way). My baby hasn't arrived yet so I'm going to keep pressing on. My weight was at 207 this morning, but I'm still a good 5-10 lbs. from where I want to be. I've been off work for almost two weeks since my students are on Christmas Break, and you think with all that free time I'd be eating more, but rather I've been eating less do to not being on a schedule and sleeping in extra late.

JustJ
01-05-09, 8:43 pm
Chest/Bi's

Incline Bench Press (X-Reps in parenthesis)
115x12(5), 135x9(3), 155x6(3), 135x8(3)
Chest Dips
Bwx8, 8, 7, 6
Machine Flies (Rest/Pause sets)
80x9-5-4, 90x8-4-4
Straight BB Curl (X-Reps in parenthesis)
45x12(5), 55x10(4), 65x7(3)
DB Preacher Curl
20x10, 20x10, 25x8
Cable Rope Hammer Curl (Rest/Pause sets)
80x8-4-4, 90x8-4-5

So while I'm obviously still keeping track of the numbers, I'm not stressing off them, I'm going more for feel. I lowered the weight a bit on some exercises because surprisingly enough those X-Reps add in some extra fatigue, more than I thought they would. I'm almost done with Animal Stak and haven't noticed too much from, maybe I look a tiny bit leaner. I'm not going to check the scale for awhile; Just try to eat and lift and judge by the mirror.

Vaze_06
01-05-09, 8:50 pm
nice work out bro! hopefully u stop slacking off and eating like an animal!

JustJ
01-05-09, 10:30 pm
You're my only reader man haha. But yeah, now that I'm back at work I'm on a better eating schedule. Still need to up my cals.

Vaze_06
01-05-09, 10:38 pm
You're my only reader man haha. But yeah, now that I'm back at work I'm on a better eating schedule. Still need to up my cals.

but u also need to go check on other ppl journey if u want them to come on yours... and be regulars on your posts! lol
sweet keep on eating big!, if i may ask what are you stats for bench/deads/squats?!

JustJ
01-06-09, 1:05 am
It's funny, before you posted this I was thinking the same thing. i read a lot of people's journeys, but then i'll get side tracked and not and end up not posting..So I better get on that. Um my stats are as follows (this is from a few months ago): bench- 245x7, dead- 315x5, squat- 325x5. I've never gone with any less reps than that, so I really don't know where I stand with my maxes.

Vaze_06
01-06-09, 9:55 am
i'm always right, in fact... dont even waste time arguing with me cauz im always gonna kick your ass at the end ... Lol just messing with ya bro! (thought kinda true...)
got some good numbers there,

JustJ
01-06-09, 6:52 pm
Toughness. Alright alright. Thanks...Maybe I'll do some strength work again in the near future and try to boost them a little. Whenever I go back to a 5x5 type program though I always start myself off low (probably a little too low) which I think messes up my actual strength gains. I've always had an interest in powerlifting...I'm just not strong enough ha. But I wish there was a club nearby so I could get some pointers or try training that way for something different.

Vaze_06
01-06-09, 7:01 pm
Toughness. Alright alright. Thanks...Maybe I'll do some strength work again in the near future and try to boost them a little. Whenever I go back to a 5x5 type program though I always start myself off low (probably a little too low) which I think messes up my actual strength gains. I've always had an interest in powerlifting...I'm just not strong enough ha. But I wish there was a club nearby so I could get some pointers or try training that way for something different.

hmmm, we are never strong enough, thats why we are stuck here trying to learn from each other!
and fuck, u have to start somewhere! nobody is ''strong'' at the beginning
if u wanna start powerlifting then just freaking start!
i found this in Shizz's journey, http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx
when u wanna get back into 5X5 program, it might help u in not starting to low

C Daddy
01-06-09, 7:16 pm
Deffinately not slacking in your workouts.Looking good bro. Whats your diet lookin like these days?

JustJ
01-06-09, 8:37 pm
I've done MadCow's 5x5 before, but hadn't seen the log form you linked me too...Pretty sweet. I'm contemplating doing (god forbid, I can't believe I'm saying this) an HIT program for the first month after my baby comes...I'm probably not going to be getting sleep and I won't have the time right away. I dunno :/

JustJ
01-06-09, 8:50 pm
Deffinately not slacking in your workouts.Looking good bro. Whats your diet lookin like these days?

I appreciate that, but I feel like I have been. I mean, I know my "better days" with the weights wouldn't be too impressive compared to a lot of people's on this forum, but at least I'd feel a little better about it ha. Alright, as afraid as I am to do this, I'll post my basic daily diet...It's not real clean since I'm bulking and my metabolism seems to be okay. But any suggestions of what to change or add for some good extra cals would definitely be appreciated.

7:30 AM: Carnation Instant Breakfast w/whole milk+ heavy whipping cream, a spoonful of peanut butter
9:00 AM: Generic Costco Poptarts and an apple
12:00 PM: Lunch, which is usually either a chimichanga/burrito/cup of soup or pb and j sandwich, or tuna sandwich, and yogurt and usually trail mix
3:00 PM: Protein bar and maybe some other snack- grahamcrackers or some type of carb
5:00 PM: Protein Shake (whole milk, heavy whipping cream)
6:30 PM: Dinner, which is usually chicken or steak, veggies and potatoes or rice
8:00 PM: Cottage Cheese, maybe some other quick filler to go along side it, like salami or corn nuts or something
9:30 PM: Protein Shake (whole milk, heavy whipping cream)

So as you can see, not real clean, and definitely room for more calories. I try to get in usually another 3 or 4 glasses of milk a day besides those I consume with my Carnation or protein shakes. As I'm typing this, I'm realizing I haven't been adding honey to my shakes like I used to, and I think I have some waxy maize starch laying around. I was putting flax seed and powdered milk in my shakes as well, but stopped because they were getting too big and thick that I wouldn't finish them (mostly because I'd have to take them to work and would have to leave somewhere before I could finish it, leaving it rancid by the time I got back).

C Daddy
01-06-09, 9:12 pm
I appreciate that, but I feel like I have been. I mean, I know my "better days" with the weights wouldn't be too impressive compared to a lot of people's on this forum, but at least I'd feel a little better about it ha. Alright, as afraid as I am to do this, I'll post my basic daily diet...It's not real clean since I'm bulking and my metabolism seems to be okay. But any suggestions of what to change or add for some good extra cals would definitely be appreciated.

7:30 AM: Carnation Instant Breakfast w/whole milk+ heavy whipping cream, a spoonful of peanut butter
9:00 AM: Generic Costco Poptarts and an apple
12:00 PM: Lunch, which is usually either a chimichanga/burrito/cup of soup or pb and j sandwich, or tuna sandwich, and yogurt and usually trail mix
3:00 PM: Protein bar and maybe some other snack- grahamcrackers or some type of carb
5:00 PM: Protein Shake (whole milk, heavy whipping cream)
6:30 PM: Dinner, which is usually chicken or steak, veggies and potatoes or rice
8:00 PM: Cottage Cheese, maybe some other quick filler to go along side it, like salami or corn nuts or something
9:30 PM: Protein Shake (whole milk, heavy whipping cream)

So as you can see, not real clean, and definitely room for more calories. I try to get in usually another 3 or 4 glasses of milk a day besides those I consume with my Carnation or protein shakes. As I'm typing this, I'm realizing I haven't been adding honey to my shakes like I used to, and I think I have some waxy maize starch laying around. I was putting flax seed and powdered milk in my shakes as well, but stopped because they were getting too big and thick that I wouldn't finish them (mostly because I'd have to take them to work and would have to leave somewhere before I could finish it, leaving it rancid by the time I got back).

Im a firm believer in clean bulks but by all means if your metabolism can handle that and your getting your calories in then keep it up. Just make sure your tank is always full. I follow a clean bulk diet with 2 cheat days a week on my days off. heres what it looks like on an average day

Meal 1-(immediately upon waking) Protein shake with 52 grams of protein with whole milk
Meal2- 4 whole eggs 6 egg whites,1 bannana,2 pieces of whole wheat toast,lg glass of whole milk, then I take the pak
Pre-workout-Pump
Meal 3- ( Postworkout) Torrent mixed with powerade.
Meal4- 3 large lean beef hamburgers on whole wheat buns,1 sweet potatoe,green beans
Meal 5- Sirloin steak,1 sweet potatoe,asparagus spears,1 apple
Meal 6- Sirloin steak or chicken breast,brown rice, and a veggie
Meal 7- I large bowl of cottage cheese and a whey shake with 52 grams of protein mixed in whole milk
at anytime between my whole food meals Ive been known to add a shake or add one before the meal while im cooking it.
All this usually averages out to about 4000 calories. With 60% being protein. I pretty much eat anything I want on the weekends. Thats what I do not sure if that helps. Are you taking that waxy maize post workout? Id deffinately suggest that. Good luck and im subbed. looking forward to seeing you blow up bro.

Vaze_06
01-06-09, 10:20 pm
I've done MadCow's 5x5 before, but hadn't seen the log form you linked me too...Pretty sweet. I'm contemplating doing (god forbid, I can't believe I'm saying this) an HIT program for the first month after my baby comes...I'm probably not going to be getting sleep and I won't have the time right away. I dunno :/

huh?! bro, my advice would be; dont start something u wont be able to finish.... if u see u cant do 5X5 right now, then just dont! stick to what u have planned and when the right moment will come then u'll change your program and can do some crazy damage!
and u better not screw over that ''sleep''! u need to rest if u wanna grow!

JustJ
01-07-09, 11:17 am
Im a firm believer in clean bulks but by all means if your metabolism can handle that and your getting your calories in then keep it up. Just make sure your tank is always full. I follow a clean bulk diet with 2 cheat days a week on my days off. heres what it looks like on an average day

Meal 1-(immediately upon waking) Protein shake with 52 grams of protein with whole milk
Meal2- 4 whole eggs 6 egg whites,1 bannana,2 pieces of whole wheat toast,lg glass of whole milk, then I take the pak
Pre-workout-Pump
Meal 3- ( Postworkout) Torrent mixed with powerade.
Meal4- 3 large lean beef hamburgers on whole wheat buns,1 sweet potatoe,green beans
Meal 5- Sirloin steak,1 sweet potatoe,asparagus spears,1 apple
Meal 6- Sirloin steak or chicken breast,brown rice, and a veggie
Meal 7- I large bowl of cottage cheese and a whey shake with 52 grams of protein mixed in whole milk
at anytime between my whole food meals Ive been known to add a shake or add one before the meal while im cooking it.
All this usually averages out to about 4000 calories. With 60% being protein. I pretty much eat anything I want on the weekends. Thats what I do not sure if that helps. Are you taking that waxy maize post workout? Id deffinately suggest that. Good luck and im subbed. looking forward to seeing you blow up bro.

Thanks for posting your diet. I definitely need to add eggs back into the picture. I like how you eat good solid meals often (i.e. steak or chicken a coupe times a day). You mentioned toast, and I was thinking about subsituting just my spoonful of peanutbutter with two pieces of wheat bread toasted with pb. I'll start adding some new things to my diet when I hit the grocery store this week. Thanks for the tips and the support.

JustJ
01-07-09, 11:19 am
huh?! bro, my advice would be; dont start something u wont be able to finish.... if u see u cant do 5X5 right now, then just dont! stick to what u have planned and when the right moment will come then u'll change your program and can do some crazy damage!
and u better not screw over that ''sleep''! u need to rest if u wanna grow!

Oh no way, I'm definitely not starting a 5x5 until I'm able to get enough rest in again. And I love sleep and no how important it is, but I have no idea if my son is going to be a heavy good sleeper or up 6 times a night...I'll find out in the next week or two though

Vaze_06
01-08-09, 7:33 pm
Oh no way, I'm definitely not starting a 5x5 until I'm able to get enough rest in again. And I love sleep and no how important it is, but I have no idea if my son is going to be a heavy good sleeper or up 6 times a night...I'll find out in the next week or two though

Good luck! hopefully it will be the ''heavy good sleeper'' lol
or i heard that maybe 1 glass or 2 of Rum will for sure knock him down and u'll have no problems :P
Just Kidding!!! HAve a nice weekend

JustJ
01-08-09, 9:11 pm
Good luck! hopefully it will be the ''heavy good sleeper'' lol
or i heard that maybe 1 glass or 2 of Rum will for sure knock him down and u'll have no problems :P
Just Kidding!!! HAve a nice weekend

Haha that's what I tell everybody..."I'll just put some whiskey on his gums and he'll stop crying." But thanks. I need to check on your log and some other people's but I'm in the middle of cooking dinner right now (steak, veggies, and a red potato), so I'll have to do it later. Going to post today's workout though.

JustJ
01-08-09, 9:18 pm
Back//Legs

Wide-grip Assisted Chins (Assistance Weight= 52 lbs.) (X-Reps in parenthesis)
Target: 50 reps- 12, 10, 8, 7(5), 6, 7(3)
Yates Rows (Rest/Pause sets)
135x10-5-5, 175x7-4-4
Seated Cable Rows (Rest/Pause sets)
120x8-4-3, 130x7-3-3
Hack Squats (Rest/Pause sets)
220x8-4-3, 220x7-4-4
Leg Extensions (X-Reps in parenthesis) (1 Leg at a time)
45x15(5), 45x15(5), 60x10(4)
Hamstring Curl (Rest/Pause sets)
105x15-8-7, 120x10-6-8
Calf Press
4PPS+25PSx25, hold on last rep

As lame as I feel doing assisted pull-ups, it was nice to do full reps and actually feel a good stretch. Also, did Yates Rows for the first time- I'm diggin' em. Nothing much else to report.

Vaze_06
01-11-09, 9:53 pm
Haha that's what I tell everybody..."I'll just put some whiskey on his gums and he'll stop crying." But thanks. I need to check on your log and some other people's but I'm in the middle of cooking dinner right now (steak, veggies, and a red potato), so I'll have to do it later. Going to post today's workout though.

great mind think alike! lol... that look delicious!

Back//Legs

Wide-grip Assisted Chins (Assistance Weight= 52 lbs.) (X-Reps in parenthesis)
Target: 50 reps- 12, 10, 8, 7(5), 6, 7(3)
Yates Rows (Rest/Pause sets)
135x10-5-5, 175x7-4-4
Seated Cable Rows (Rest/Pause sets)
120x8-4-3, 130x7-3-3
Hack Squats (Rest/Pause sets)
220x8-4-3, 220x7-4-4
Leg Extensions (X-Reps in parenthesis) (1 Leg at a time)
45x15(5), 45x15(5), 60x10(4)
Hamstring Curl (Rest/Pause sets)
105x15-8-7, 120x10-6-8
Calf Press
4PPS+25PSx25, hold on last rep

As lame as I feel doing assisted pull-ups, it was nice to do full reps and actually feel a good stretch. Also, did Yates Rows for the first time- I'm diggin' em. Nothing much else to report.

nice work out bro, one legged leg extension is a killer. Have a nice week

JustJ
01-12-09, 1:21 am
great mind think alike! lol... that look delicious!

nice work out bro, one legged leg extension is a killer. Have a nice week

thank you. it's going to be quite a week. tomorrow my gf goes in to find out about being induced, which means the baby could be here in the next couple of days. i had to get a shot for the baby's sake which completely messed up shoulder, pretty much to where i can't raise it past parallel to the floor. so i skipped my shoulder/tri workout this weekend, and am skipping my workout tomorrow. and who knows, i may be out of the gym for a week or two if this baby finally comes this week.

JustJ
01-13-09, 12:48 am
Shoulders/Tri's/Traps/Chest/Bi's

Warm-up
Pushups
3x20BW, regular, narrow, wide
One-Arm DB Shoulder Press on Stability Ball
Target= 50 reps, 30lbs. Each arm, rest/pause to target
Front BD Raise
25x8, 20x10, 20x9, 20x8
DB Lat Raise (Rest/Pause sets)
20x8-5-3, 20x7-3-3
DB Tri Extensions on Stability Ball
20x12, 20x12, 20x10, 20x9
DB Shrugs, In Front(like a barbell shrug) Supersetted with Side
30x20-->10, 30x20-->7, 30x16-->6
DB Chest Press on Stability Ball (X-Reps in parenthesis)
30x13(5), 30x10(5)
DB Concentration Curl Supersetted with Cross-Body DB Hammer Curls
25x10-->5, 25x10-->4

So, since I skipped my workout this weekend, I still wanted to get shoulder and triceps in. But all I had was my girlfriend's weights, which didn't go past 30 lbs., so I tried to make my workout as decent as possible with what I had. Also, I decided to throw in a couple sets of chest and biceps at the end, since tomorrow we're going in to have her induced, which means the baby will be here in a day or two. So this is my last workout for a week or two until we get settled in. So, wish me luck and I'll post my next workout ASAP.

PAL
01-14-09, 4:42 am
I saw your post below on another brother’s journey and it caught my attention, I then checked out your journey and subscribed.

Quote-Your log caught my eye because I love 5x5 programs and am thinking about going back to one myself. I've done Bill Starr's, Madcow's, and the Texas Method (which was my favorite). I'm kind of thinking about doing my own version of a 5x5, but am debating between increasing the weight each set, or keeping the same weight for each set and just upping it each workout (which is what I'm leaning towards). Keep up the good work.

My question is what is the Texas method? Also, on the matter of using the same weight on each set for a 5x5, I’ve tried that and I burnt out and plateau’d relatively soon, like within the first 3 weeks. I think it’s best to increase the weight on each set so you get your maximum strength on that last set, then increase the next week. I’m currently on the Bill Starr 5x5 and I’m loving it.

Good luck with the baby, my daughter who live’s with me just had a baby in October, between lifting and my work schedule I never hear him at night, so I’m the one sleeping like a baby. Get back on the lifts as soon as you can-PAL.

Vaze_06
01-14-09, 1:41 pm
thank you. it's going to be quite a week. tomorrow my gf goes in to find out about being induced, which means the baby could be here in the next couple of days. i had to get a shot for the baby's sake which completely messed up shoulder, pretty much to where i can't raise it past parallel to the floor. so i skipped my shoulder/tri workout this weekend, and am skipping my workout tomorrow. and who knows, i may be out of the gym for a week or two if this baby finally comes this week.

dont worry about the gym bro, it aint going nowhere! take care of your girl and baby. Good luck ^^

Shoulders/Tri's/Traps/Chest/Bi's

Warm-up
Pushups
3x20BW, regular, narrow, wide
One-Arm DB Shoulder Press on Stability Ball
Target= 50 reps, 30lbs. Each arm, rest/pause to target
Front BD Raise
25x8, 20x10, 20x9, 20x8
DB Lat Raise (Rest/Pause sets)
20x8-5-3, 20x7-3-3
DB Tri Extensions on Stability Ball
20x12, 20x12, 20x10, 20x9
DB Shrugs, In Front(like a barbell shrug) Supersetted with Side
30x20-->10, 30x20-->7, 30x16-->6
DB Chest Press on Stability Ball (X-Reps in parenthesis)
30x13(5), 30x10(5)
DB Concentration Curl Supersetted with Cross-Body DB Hammer Curls
25x10-->5, 25x10-->4

So, since I skipped my workout this weekend, I still wanted to get shoulder and triceps in. But all I had was my girlfriend's weights, which didn't go past 30 lbs., so I tried to make my workout as decent as possible with what I had. Also, I decided to throw in a couple sets of chest and biceps at the end, since tomorrow we're going in to have her induced, which means the baby will be here in a day or two. So this is my last workout for a week or two until we get settled in. So, wish me luck and I'll post my next workout ASAP.

nice work out

C.Coronato
01-14-09, 1:47 pm
Ya brother we are all in this game together. But family is first. Youll forgive your self if you miss that last set of calves cause you ran out of time, but youll never forgive your self if you miss your baby growing up because you wanted to hit those calves. Family is important and is def one of the groud floors for building. Also dont worry about numbers, do your sets right and with good form, and itll come my brother. Im here for your journey and im looking forward to where its gonna take us.

JustJ
01-15-09, 3:41 am
I saw your post below on another brother’s journey and it caught my attention, I then checked out your journey and subscribed.

Quote-Your log caught my eye because I love 5x5 programs and am thinking about going back to one myself. I've done Bill Starr's, Madcow's, and the Texas Method (which was my favorite). I'm kind of thinking about doing my own version of a 5x5, but am debating between increasing the weight each set, or keeping the same weight for each set and just upping it each workout (which is what I'm leaning towards). Keep up the good work.

My question is what is the Texas method? Also, on the matter of using the same weight on each set for a 5x5, I’ve tried that and I burnt out and plateau’d relatively soon, like within the first 3 weeks. I think it’s best to increase the weight on each set so you get your maximum strength on that last set, then increase the next week. I’m currently on the Bill Starr 5x5 and I’m loving it.

Good luck with the baby, my daughter who live’s with me just had a baby in October, between lifting and my work schedule I never hear him at night, so I’m the one sleeping like a baby. Get back on the lifts as soon as you can-PAL.

thanks for checking in on my log. here's a link to the texas method: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1720181
it's written up on a few different forums, but this was the first i got when i googled it.
i may try upping the weight each set when i do 5x5, like you said. thanks for best wishes with the baby...he was born today and i'm sleeping at home tonight. he's been sleeping most of the day and is fairly quiet...who knows how he'll be once i get him home though ha. either way, he's amazing.

JustJ
01-15-09, 3:44 am
Ya brother we are all in this game together. But family is first. Youll forgive your self if you miss that last set of calves cause you ran out of time, but youll never forgive your self if you miss your baby growing up because you wanted to hit those calves. Family is important and is def one of the groud floors for building. Also dont worry about numbers, do your sets right and with good form, and itll come my brother. Im here for your journey and im looking forward to where its gonna take us.

thank you. i definitely agree, family first. i was in the hospital since yesterday morning waiting for him to be born. i'm sleeping at home tonight to get some rest since i barely slept and with the nurses coming in all the time, i'd be no use if i slept there again tonight. thanks for the support. that's probably my favorite thing about this forum- everyone is supportive and respectful of one another.

PAL
01-15-09, 5:58 am
Thanks for the link, I checked it out briefly, I’ll have to study it when I’m a little less tired, (put in some crazy hours tonight). Looks interesting so far. I tweaked the numbers slightly on my 5x5, using a 10% increase interval vs. the 12.5 suggested. Congratulations on the baby, little one’s are amazing to watch them grow and develop. What are his stats? Weight? Length? 1RM? Ha,ha. Be cool-PAL

JustJ
01-15-09, 12:38 pm
Thanks for the link, I checked it out briefly, I’ll have to study it when I’m a little less tired, (put in some crazy hours tonight). Looks interesting so far. I tweaked the numbers slightly on my 5x5, using a 10% increase interval vs. the 12.5 suggested. Congratulations on the baby, little one’s are amazing to watch them grow and develop. What are his stats? Weight? Length? 1RM? Ha,ha. Be cool-PAL

Yea it's a long read. I did after I had already done Starr's 5x5 and I think Madcow's (though I could be mistaken, it might very similar to Starr's, I can't remember now). I liked it because I felt like it was different enough, yet still similar enough to your average 5x5(if I'm even making sense). But I haven't done it for awhile so to be honest I'd probably have to re-read it to give you my whole thoughts on it haha. I remember that 12.5% increase..I think I did calculate it out that, though sometimes the number had to be rounded, so I would say your safe with 10%...Makes it simpler and I don't think that 2.5% is going to leave you missing out on any gains.

Thanks. He's amazing already and I just want to get him home. I'm actually about to leave back to the hospital. He's 8 lbs., 13 oz, so just under 9 lbs. and 20 inches long. 1RM still to be determined, though the doctor's said he's strong and has a big chest haha.

JustJ
01-21-09, 12:35 am
Well, I skipped the gym last week and am skipping it this week...Just been spending time with my baby...He's awesome.
But, I have changed my plans. I have decided to end my perpetual bulk, and try to lose some bodyfat. I don't have a ton of fat right now (I'd guess 12%? Who knows), but I am not big-boned and don't have big joints, and while I've aspired to be 230 or bigger, I'm beginning to wonder if I'd look better with a leaner, lighter physique. So this will be my second ever cut. I'm not going to do a crazy strict diet since it's not for a show or anything, and I will post my diet when I start. My goal is to get down to 8% bodyfat, hopefully at not lighter than 190 lbs. I will be lifting 2-3 times per week and doing cardio 3 times per week (dreading that). I will also be supplementing with BCAA's, Animal Cuts, Sesamin, and CLA (I might be going overboard). So, I will begin this cut at the beginning of February. I won't be logging anything until then. If anybody has any helpful tips on cutting, I'd appreciate it.

JustJ
02-28-09, 9:04 pm
I've been off here for awhile. Was changing my diet, doing cardio, not lifting as much, and dealing with a bunch of drama in my personal life. In this time I dropped from 205 to just under 190. I managed to drop some body fat, however not as much as I had hoped, and I didn't want to sacrifice any more mass. So, I decided to slowly bulk back up, as in I'm making slight modifications to my diet each week. It's still not super clean, but definitely cleaner than my old bulking diet.
I'm going to be hitting the gym hard again starting this week, and will be doing a 5 week cycle of Super Halo, dosed at 50mg for the first 2 weeks, 75mg for the second 2 weeks, and possibly 100mg (depending on sides) for the last week. I'm hoping to gain 5 lbs (since I'm not heavily bulking) and maybe lose a little more body fat...People's results with this product seem to vary greatly so I'm not sure if I'll respond by gaining mass or getting cut, so we'll see. Anyway, I'll be trying to start checking back into everyone's logs, and hopefully I'll be posting up some good workouts soon. For now, I'm off to celebrate my birthday.

JustJ
03-01-09, 5:40 am
On a side note, I was going to take a job bouncing 3 nights a week, but think this will completely ruin life due to lack of sleep amongst other things, and have decided against it. Also, my typical split has been Chest/Bi's, Shoulders/Legs, and Back/Tri's, but I think I'm going to switch it to (although maybe a little odd) Chest/Legs, Back/Shoulders, and Bi's/Tri's. A little different, which may spark some growth. Also, my basic workout for each muscle group will be as follows:

Compound Exercise: 6 sets of 6 reps in 6 mintues (666 training)
Compound Exercise: 3 sets of 8-12
Isolation Execricse: 2-3 Sets of Drop Sets

JustJ
03-02-09, 8:26 pm
decided to incorporate 666 training (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast36.htm) on one lift for each body part. I have to say, at first I felt pretty dumb starting out with such a light weight, but resting for only 30 seconds really catches up to you by the 5th and 6th set. I ended up keeping my rest periods short on all exercises, which I think is key for me because when I do longer workouts I get bored and lose focus/motivation. Front squats sucked. The weight I used was too light for my quads, but I was using a clean grip and my left wrist couldn't handle it. I'm going to have to try the cross-arm grip next time. And I was going to do 3 sets of calves, but they were burning after my 2 drop sets. Anyway, onto the workout:

Incline BB Press: 666 style@145 lbs
Chest Dips: BWx9, 8, 7
Cable Flys (Drop Set): 70x7-60x6-50x4, 60x7-50x6-45x5, 45x9-40x5-35x6
Leg Extensions (Warm Up): 45lbsx15 reps left leg, 15 reps right leg, then 15 reps both legs
Front Squats: 666 style@135 lbs.
Hamstring Curl: 150x11, 150x10, 165x9
Calf Raises (Drop Set): 210x15-195x10-180x10, 225x15-210x11-195x10

JustJ
03-02-09, 8:30 pm
So I changed my diet a bit from my previous bulk. It's still not great, but slightly better, though I know I'm going to need to add calories each week.

- Half a serving of Real Gains in 2% milk
- 1 Tbs of Peanut Butter
- Apple
- 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites
- Tuna or Turkey Sandwich (though lunch is where I let myself cheat the most)
- Banana
- 1 Cup of cottage cheese
- Almonds
- * Protein shake on workout days
- 2 slices of wheat bread
- Chicken or steak, rice, potatoes
- Half a serving or Real Gains in 2% milk

Occasionally I'll throw in some other snacks. Like I said, lunch is where I cheat most often, and on the weekend I'm more likely to eat less rather than cheat.

Vaze_06
03-02-09, 8:48 pm
666... MUahahahah u will burn in hell!!! .... Just Kidding :) tho 6 is my ''lucky number''.... lol

nice work out bro, glad your back. how's the baby??

JustJ
03-02-09, 11:02 pm
666... MUahahahah u will burn in hell!!! .... Just Kidding :) tho 6 is my ''lucky number''.... lol

nice work out bro, glad your back. how's the baby??

haha...i know, the workout info is super cheesy, but ive wanted to try it for awhile.

the baby is fantastic. he is adorable and such a good baby, and growing so quickly, thanks.

PAL
03-04-09, 4:02 am
decided to incorporate 666 training (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast36.htm) on one lift for each body part. I have to say, at first I felt pretty dumb starting out with such a light weight, but resting for only 30 seconds really catches up to you by the 5th and 6th set. I ended up keeping my rest periods short on all exercises, which I think is key for me because when I do longer workouts I get bored and lose focus/motivation. Front squats sucked. The weight I used was too light for my quads, but I was using a clean grip and my left wrist couldn't handle it. I'm going to have to try the cross-arm grip next time. And I was going to do 3 sets of calves, but they were burning after my 2 drop sets. Anyway, onto the workout:

Incline BB Press: 666 style@145 lbs
Chest Dips: BWx9, 8, 7
Cable Flys (Drop Set): 70x7-60x6-50x4, 60x7-50x6-45x5, 45x9-40x5-35x6
Leg Extensions (Warm Up): 45lbsx15 reps left leg, 15 reps right leg, then 15 reps both legs
Front Squats: 666 style@135 lbs.
Hamstring Curl: 150x11, 150x10, 165x9
Calf Raises (Drop Set): 210x15-195x10-180x10, 225x15-210x11-195x10

Good to have you back brother, I read thru that routine and checked out your workout. looks rough, gets your heart pumpin I bet. keep it up. glad to hear the baby is doing well.

JustJ
03-04-09, 11:22 am
Good to have you back brother, I read thru that routine and checked out your workout. looks rough, gets your heart pumpin I bet. keep it up. glad to hear the baby is doing well.

thank you, its good to be back. i hand't been working out hardly at all and getting started back up again makes me remember how/why it was so important. and yea, this 666 thing is a change of pace, i like it because it's similar to 5x5 in a sense, but yet different with the shorter rest periods and lighter weight. it's really about speed, otherwise by that 6th set it's going to be tough to move that weight.
and thanks about the baby as well, he is fantastic. i'll be posting another workout later today, and catching up on the forum.

JustJ
03-04-09, 10:01 pm
Hammer Strength Shoulder Press: 666 style @ 110 lbs.
Front Plate Raise: 35x9, 35x9, 45x8
DB Lat Raise (Drop Set): 30x6-25x4-20x4, 25x6-20x4-15x4, 20x7-15x5-10x5
BB Shrugs: 666 style @ 225 lbs.
BB Row: 666 style @ 135 Lbs.
Lat Pulldown: 120x10, 120x9, 100x12
V-Grip Pulldown (Drop Set): 90x10-80x4-70x5, 90x9-80x4-70x4, 70x10-60x5-50x5

Mizzarler
03-05-09, 1:32 am
Thanks bro...3 days a week is fine, if you eat eat eat your body will do nothing but grow, i wouldnt cut if you were 12% but hey thats up to you, and congrats on your baby thats awesome

JustJ
03-05-09, 11:38 am
Thanks bro...3 days a week is fine, if you eat eat eat your body will do nothing but grow, i wouldnt cut if you were 12% but hey thats up to you, and congrats on your baby thats awesome

thanks man...baby is great. yea 3 days a week is about all i can manage between work and the baby and everything (im sure there are people with kids that work out more than that, but hey). yea i probably shouldnt have cut, i think i was just in a slump and wasn't gaining and so i thought i'd shake things up. but then i realized i needed more mass, so im back at it again ha

Vaze_06
03-05-09, 5:15 pm
great session

JustJ
03-06-09, 9:22 pm
Wide-Grip BB Curl: 666 style @ 65 lbs (only got 3 on the last set, my wrist was killing)
Skullcrushers: 666 style @ 60 lbs
Cable Concentration Curls: 20lbsx16, 30x15, 30x14
Reverse-Grip One-Arm Cable Pressdown: 30x8, 20x15, 20x15
Machine Preacher Curl: 35x15, 40x15, 45x15, 20x30
Elbows-Flared Cable Pressdown: 40x20, 50x17, 60x15, 30x30
Chin Ups: BWx8, 6, 5
CG Pushups: BWx20, 17, 15
Standing Calf Raise (Drop Set): 225x15-210x10-195x8, 240x15-225x11-210x8

All in all, good workout. Nice to have an arms-only (well, except for the calves ha) day and I got a pretty damn good pump from it. Going to stick with these higher reps on arms for a little while and see how that works out. I am noticing that my inner chest and lower chest really need work...Any ideas for this besides cable crossovers or dips?

PAL
03-09-09, 2:18 am
Wide-Grip BB Curl: 666 style @ 65 lbs (only got 3 on the last set, my wrist was killing)
Skullcrushers: 666 style @ 60 lbs
Cable Concentration Curls: 20lbsx16, 30x15, 30x14
Reverse-Grip One-Arm Cable Pressdown: 30x8, 20x15, 20x15
Machine Preacher Curl: 35x15, 40x15, 45x15, 20x30
Elbows-Flared Cable Pressdown: 40x20, 50x17, 60x15, 30x30
Chin Ups: BWx8, 6, 5
CG Pushups: BWx20, 17, 15
Standing Calf Raise (Drop Set): 225x15-210x10-195x8, 240x15-225x11-210x8

All in all, good workout. Nice to have an arms-only (well, except for the calves ha) day and I got a pretty damn good pump from it. Going to stick with these higher reps on arms for a little while and see how that works out. I am noticing that my inner chest and lower chest really need work...Any ideas for this besides cable crossovers or dips?

Workout looking good man, real good. Have you ever got such a pump that when after you lift, you bend your arm and it wants to curl up on its own? (it's a pretty freaky feeling) Any how keep up the good work bro. Decline dumbell bench and decline flies really work for me on the lower chest. Just make sure you dont let the wt drift to the rear and above your shoulders or face. Keep it centered over the chest.

JustJ
03-09-09, 8:39 pm
Workout looking good man, real good. Have you ever got such a pump that when after you lift, you bend your arm and it wants to curl up on its own? (it's a pretty freaky feeling) Any how keep up the good work bro. Decline dumbell bench and decline flies really work for me on the lower chest. Just make sure you dont let the wt drift to the rear and above your shoulders or face. Keep it centered over the chest.

Thanks man. And thanks for the tips on lower chest...I tried some low pulley cable flies today and those felt alright. I also think I'm going to add in some incline flies...I realized today that I've done them before with too heavy of a weight that sacrificed form, so if I stick to lighter weight/higher weights they might do some good.
And yea, haha, I have had a pump like that...I can't remember the last time though.

JustJ
03-09-09, 8:44 pm
Incline Smith Press: 666 style @ 175
Chest Dips: BWx11, 9, 8, 8
Low Pulley Cable Flies (Drop Set): 70x8-60x5-50x4, 70x7-60x4-60x4, 60x7-50x5-45x4
Push Ups: BWx20x3
Leg Extensions (Warm Up): 60x15 (left leg, 15 (right leg), 15(both legs)
Leg Press: 666 style @4 PPS
Hamstring Curl (Drop Set): 195x8-180x5-165x5, 165x8-150x5-135x5
Standing Calf Raise: 666 style @ 340

Went a little light on leg presses and calf raises, but my quads were still burning after those leg presses. Everything else felt good...I might be off on the weight for my hamstring curls...I'm doing this off memory, rather than looking at my log ha.
Weight is back up to 195...so up 5 lbs in a week or 2. I'm attributing this to eating more after dieting, not the Super Halo since people say that doesn't kick in until the third or fourth week. Still gotta eat more though.

JustJ
03-11-09, 9:53 pm
Smith Military Press: 666 style @ 135
Bent Over BB Row: 666 style @ 155
Front Plate Raise: 45x8x3
Assisted Pullups (- 58 lbs.): 12, 9, 8
DB Lat Raise (Drop Set): 25x6-20x6-15x6, 25x6-20x4-15x4, 20x6-15x4-10x4
Rack Pull (2 inches below knees): 135x10, 225x10, 275x5, 315x3
DB Bent Over Lat Raise (Drop Set): 30x6-25x6-20x6, 30x6-25x5-20x5
Machine T-Bar Row: 90x9, 100x8
BB Shrug: 666 style @ 245 lbs

Great workout today. A little more volume then I'm used to, so I was pretty gassed by the end. Realized that if I'm not training deads, I need to be doing good mornings or hyper extensions, because I am super weak at them now...Could also be that I usually don't go higher than 5 reps on them too. Also, I feel like I don't get a good range of machine on those bent over dumbbell lat raises...Don't know if this is do to tight pecs (pulling the shoulders forward) or previous shoulder injuries...I think machine rear delt flys work better for me. Other than that, nothing much to report. I feel like I look a little fuller...Don't know if this is from the Super Halo or the vegetable glycerin...Either way, I like it.

JustJ
03-13-09, 10:04 pm
CG EZ Bar Curl- 666 style @ 70 lbs.
Decline CG Bench Press: 666 style @ 115 lbs.
DB Concentration Curl: 20x15, 25x12, 25x8
Skullcrusher: 45x15, 45x12, 50x9
Cross-Body Hammer Curl (Drop Set): 20x12-15x6-10x6, 25x8-20x4-15x4, 25x7-20x4-15x4
Elbows Flared Cable Pushdown (Drop Set): 60x15-50x8-40x8, 70x11-60x6-50x6, 70x10-60x6-50x5
Chin Ups: BW x 9, 6, 6
CG Push Ups: BW x 20, 17, 15
Standing Calf Raise (Drop Set): 300x15-285x10-270x8, 315x15-300x8-285x7

Good workout. CG Bench Presses feel weird to me. Decline was better than flat, but I feel it a lot in my shoulders and near my collar bone (maybe just a sign of weak triceps; wouldn't doubt it). I also kept the weight lower to work on form until I get stronger at them. Seems like the Super Halo is starting to kick in- I'll weigh in next Friday, but I feel like I'm getting a little bigger/fuller.

Vaze_06
03-14-09, 5:51 pm
nice bro.. very nice :P

JustJ
03-16-09, 8:03 pm
Decline BB Press: 666 style @ 175 (more like 6,6,6,5,5,5)
Incline DB Fly-Superset-Incline DB Press: 20x14/40x8, 25x12/40x7, 30x8/35x7
Flat DB Fly (Drop Set): 35x7-30x4-25x4, 30x9-25x4-20x5
DB Pullover: 35x15x2
Leg Extensions (Warm Up): 60x15 (each leg, then both legs)
Leg Press: 666 style @ 5 PPS
Hamstring Curl: 150x15, 150x13
Standing Calf Raise: 666 style @ 375

Nothing much to report, except that I don't think 666 is good for calves...Seems like it loses out on a lot of stimulation. Upping my Super Halo to 65 mg/ED today.

ForearmFreak
03-16-09, 8:05 pm
great job bro, you have a lot of volume+strength training going on..

Vaze_06
03-16-09, 8:14 pm
calves is always one of the bitchiest bodypart to work out lol. always hard to find the right way to hit them so they grow... u might try something else on them. i like doing heavy/volume. Tho nice session

JustJ
03-16-09, 10:17 pm
Decline BB Press: 666 style @ 175 (more like 6,6,6,5,5,5)
Incline DB Fly-Superset-Incline DB Press: 20x14/40x8, 25x12/40x7, 30x8/35x7
Flat DB Fly (Drop Set): 35x7-30x4-25x4, 30x9-25x4-20x5
DB Pullover: 35x15x2
Leg Extensions (Warm Up): 60x15 (each leg, then both legs)
Leg Press: 666 style @ 5 PPS
Hamstring Curl: 150x15, 150x13
Standing Calf Raise: 666 style @ 375

Nothing much to report, except that I don't think 666 is good for calves...Seems like it loses out on a lot of stimulation. Upping my Super Halo to 65 mg/ED today.

edit: 75mg/ED

JustJ
03-18-09, 10:35 pm
Cybex Bent-Over Row: 666 style @ 2 Plates + a quarter
Lat Pulldowns: 120x10-110x5-100x5, 130x10, 140x9
Cybex T-Bar Rows: 2 Plates x 12, 2 plates + a quarter x 10, 2 plates + 35 x 7
Machine Shrugs: 666 style @ 3 PPS
Hammer Strength Shoulder Press: 666 style @ 120
BB CG Upright Row: 80x10, 90x8
Machine Lat Raises (Drop Set): 65x12-55x8-45x6, 75x10-65x6-55x5, 85x8-75x6-65x5
Reverse Pec Deck Flys: 50x12, 60x9, 25x30

Good workout, despite being super tired from St. Pattie's Day festivities. Just found out a powerlifting gym recently opened in my area...It's something I've been interested in for awhile so I may look into that...

JustJ
03-20-09, 12:46 am
i have decided to put my log on a hiatus. i am still going to come on here and gain knowledge and read other people's logs, but for now, other than any worthwhile things of note or until i feel like starting up again, i will not be logging. i have become to much of a slave to numbers, and i feel like it is detracting from my weight lifting experience and enjoyment. i want to let my body do the record keeping for now- learn to feel things out and push myself without having to look at last week's "data." i want to try new things and theories i have and see how they pan out. will i do a log again? probably. but i also think this break will be good, because when i do a log again, ill be able to compare the progress ive made by looking at where i last left off, which will be more motivational than a week-by-week look. am i going to quit lifting? no way. am i still going to monitor my diet? hell yes, i want to put on some more size.

so, tomorrow will be my last workout post for awhile. best of luck to the rest of you in your goals; i will still be following along.

ForearmFreak
03-20-09, 1:32 am
I don't know if that is such a good idea my man. Powerliftin is all about numbers and percentages. You must have a plan with your workouts in order to progress. That is just what i think. Glad to hear you will be still following your diet and hitting the gym, hope you find what your looking for. I'll be here for whenever you get back

JustJ
03-20-09, 11:28 am
I don't know if that is such a good idea my man. Powerliftin is all about numbers and percentages. You must have a plan with your workouts in order to progress. That is just what i think. Glad to hear you will be still following your diet and hitting the gym, hope you find what your looking for. I'll be here for whenever you get back

i totally agree with you...if i was powerlifting i would DEFINITELY keep track of everything, no doubt about it. so when/if i end up powerlifting, believe me i will keep a log. i think what im hoping to gain from not doing a log for a bit is just a renewed appreciation for lifting- just going in, heaving the weights, and not sitting down writing everything down and constantly comparing...like i said, im sure i will keep a log again, but i think this break will re-invigorate me. also, the other thing im hoping to gain by not doing a log is becoming more in tune with my body...you hear a lot of people who dont follow set routines and just go on feel, and they get great results. i want to be able to know if i should do a different exercise, or hit a body part again in the same week, etc. so those are my two goals from this...i know its not the typical "i want to increase my bench by x amount, or i want to gain 10 lbs.", but it is 2 things that i feel are beneficial.

JustJ
03-20-09, 8:55 pm
well, im logging this workout, but pretty half assed. i basically decided today to abandon my logging, and let me tell you, it felt great. i had one of the best workout in a long time with a great pump. i didnt even count reps (except for the 666)...just did them until i couldnt do any more. so here it is:

drag curl: 666 style
db preacher curl: 3 sets
cross-body hammer curl: 3 sets
machine dips: 666 style
overhead db extension: 3 sets
rope pushdown: 3 sets
standing calf raise: 2 sets

loved the drag curls..i had done them before maybe 2 years ago but only for a couple weeks...doing them again now i can see why theyre great. a couple things before im outta here: weighed in at 200 lbs today, so thats a plus. got 2 weeks left on Super Halo, may do 100mg for the last 2 weeks rather than 75/100. also, im going to train "instintively" for the next couple months...i want to keep a few constants though, and those will be : 50 pullups (however many sets it takes), running the rack for lat raises, and HIT for arms (basically 1 exercise for 1 set once or twice a week, since ive been doing a lot of volume). other than that, im guessing ill do about 4 sets, pyramiding up in weight, and varying exercises as i see fit.

ill still be following along with your guys' (and gals') logs, and will probably update how my progress is going after my Super Halo cycle, or anything else of note. until then, thanks for following. this is JustJ, signing off (for now).

JustJ
04-02-09, 11:09 pm
well, you guys were right ha...i couldn't stay off here from long and even though i love not taking notes every damn workout, i wanted to get back to it. i'm going to start logging jim wendler's 5-3-1 on monday. it's recommended to estimate your 1 rep max at 10% less for this routine, but i'm going to use my 5 rep max most likely since i haven't done any strength training in awhile and have been using mostly machines...i figure this allows for leeway in case i've lost strength or anything, and should allow me to use good form. so we'll see how it goes. i'll also weigh in monday as well.

JustJ
04-06-09, 7:49 pm
Squats- 250x5, 270x5, 285x5
Hack Squat- 1PPSx20, 2PPSx13, 22PPS+25'sx11, 2PPS+35'sx10
Hamstring Curls- 120x20, 135x15, 150x12, 165x11

First day of the Wendler 5-3-1. Felt good, nice to be doing some strength training again. Feel like maybe I should've estimated my percentages higher, but I'm going to stick with what I planned and we'll see. I also like that it's short and intense. Weighed in today at 204, up from 190...We'll see if it sticks.

Vaze_06
04-07-09, 7:09 pm
nice squatting bro, glad you're back

JustJ
04-08-09, 9:33 pm
nice squatting bro, glad you're back

thank you miss. im liking this program so far. i really need to bring out my back thickness and my traps, as well as rear delts. my traps dont look bad from the front...but i feel they look small and weak from the back.

JustJ
04-08-09, 9:36 pm
Bench: 185x5, 200x5, 210x5
DB Incline Press: 40x17, 45x13, 50x11, 55x9
Chest Dips: BWx11, +15x10, +25x9, +25x8
Tri Pushdown: 50x17, 60x12, 60x11, 70x9

Weird...When doing presses I was really shakey and unstable...Yet the it wasn't like the weight felt too heavy...I have no explanation for it. Good workout overall, my tris were hurting when i left.

Vaze_06
04-09-09, 4:51 pm
when i do my pressing usually i close my mind from everything and concentrate on the form and my breathing. maybe it is just a think of synchronizing your breath to your lift.. otherwise keep on pounding AND take good car of the lil baby =p

JustJ
04-10-09, 8:44 pm
when i do my pressing usually i close my mind from everything and concentrate on the form and my breathing. maybe it is just a think of synchronizing your breath to your lift.. otherwise keep on pounding AND take good car of the lil baby =p

yea, now that i think of it, i dont think i was breathing properly haha. i think i focused on my set up and form so much i was holding my breath. next time. and yes, im taking care of the little guy :) he's doing great and getting big

JustJ
04-10-09, 8:53 pm
Deadlift: 235x5, 250x5, 265x5
Bent Over BB Rows: 95x20, 115x15, 135x11, 155x8
Hammer Strength Lat Pulldown: 1PPS+10'sx22, 1PPS+25'sx15, 1PPS+35'sx13, 2PPSx10

I was nervous having not deadlifted in forever, however I was surprised at how easy these weights were. Rather than compensate by adding more weight, I figured I would go for speed, since I realized that usually my deadlifts were quite slow. I was happy with how fast and easy I was pulling them. Good workout overall.

Vaze_06
04-10-09, 9:29 pm
sweet and short.
Dont Forget to Breath =p

ForearmFreak
04-11-09, 12:25 am
OMG I LOVE DRAG CURLS!!!! nothing gets my arms pumped more and really brings out the vascularity and fullness in no time!!

JustJ
04-11-09, 1:49 pm
OMG I LOVE DRAG CURLS!!!! nothing gets my arms pumped more and really brings out the vascularity and fullness in no time!!

that's awesome man. in this routine they only have you doing 4 sets of curls like every week or so, which is fine because my arms don't seem to respond better to working them a lot versus not working them (i don't know if i'm doing something wrong, or it's genetics, but i've got tiny arms, and it seems like they only grow when the rest of me grows). but on to my question...i've wanted to throw in some reverse barbell curls, so i was thinking of supersetting reverse barbell curls with drag curls? or do you think i should just do the drag curls only?

JustJ
04-13-09, 9:13 pm
Standing Military Press: 85x5, 90x5, 95x5
Incline Rear DB Pulls: 20x20, 20x20, 25x16, 30x11
DB Lat Raises: 15x18, 20x15, 25, 12, 30x9
CG Upright Rows: 60x16, 80x12
Reverse BB Curl Superset Drag Curl: 35x-15>50x10, 40x13->50x9, 40x13->50x9, 30x->30x10

I don't know why it took me so long to realize that despite not having good genetics for arms, I never really worked the outer portion of my bicep. But doing those reverse barbell curls supersetted with drag curls was AWESOME. I don't think I've ever had a better bicep pump, and on top of that it was exactly where I want to increase my bicep size so I am going to rock these for awhile. On another note, I am loving this routine. I still think I underestimated my percentages a bit, but I still feel good doing it and like the strength component mixed with the higher rep accessory work...I don't know why I don't train in this fashion always.

Vaze_06
04-14-09, 7:29 am
glad the routine is working on u.. keep on pounding; u,ll have some big guns

ForearmFreak
04-15-09, 11:12 am
keep it up with those rev curls...those pumps are sick..

C.Coronato
04-15-09, 11:17 am
...I don't know why I don't train in this fashion always.

now you know brother, now just keep pushing it.

JustJ
04-15-09, 9:51 pm
now you know brother, now just keep pushing it.

seriously...i think i might try rotating the strength portion (i.e. 5x5, singles, 10x3, whatever) and then with accessory exercises who knows...supersets or drop sets or rest pause sets

JustJ
04-15-09, 9:56 pm
Leg Extensions (Warm-up): 60x15 (L), 15 (R), 15 (both)
Squats: 270x3, 285x3, 300x3
Leg Press: 3PPSx 8 (L) (8) R 3 (L) 3(R), 8 (L) 8 (R) 3 (L) 3 (R)- both legs x 12
Leg Curl: 135x17, 150x14, 165x10, 180x9
Standing Calf Raises (Drop Set): 225x20-210x12-195x8, 240x16-225x10-210x9, 195x21

So I way under-estimated my percentages as I keep saying, but it's all good...I consider it "easing" back into strength training. The program doesn't mention calf exercises, but I felt like throwing some in. Been doing some ab work here and there lately, but more for core strength/function that pretty-boy ab reasons.

JustJ
04-15-09, 9:57 pm
keep it up with those rev curls...those pumps are sick..

yea man, good stuff...hopefully it'll kick start some growth. i need mass in all areas, but my two big points that i really want right now are my rear delts and arms.

JustJ
04-19-09, 9:51 pm
Bench: 200x3, 210x3, 225x3
Incline Bench: 95x18, 115x12, 135x10, 155x8
Dips: BWx12, +15x10, +20x9, +25x8
Skullcrushers/CG Press: 40x12/12, 45x10/10, 50x9/9, 55x7/7+13 reps on cg press

Posting this a little late. It not my day. Forgot to take my supps, left my weight belt at home so I had to use dumbbells between my feet on the dips...Just not my best workout. Going to add in some HFT on my off days...Bascially one set of chin ups, then push ups, then dips, at body weight to failure. Read an article about it, thought I'd try it.

Vaze_06
04-19-09, 10:16 pm
still well done bro.. dont sweat it. u'll kill it badass next time

JustJ
04-20-09, 8:21 pm
Pull Ups: BWx10, 10, 7
Deads: 250x3, 265x3, 285x3
EZ Bar Underhand Row: 1PPSx15, 1PPS+10'sx12, 1PPS+25'sx9, 1PPS+30'sx8
One-Armed Seated Cable Row: 60x11, 60x10, 70x8, 70x8
Scapular Rotation: 2x3

Pretty good work out despite having killer allergies today and feeling drained. Deads were still too light so I just went for speed. Do not like 1-armed seated cable rows...will be using the v-grip next time. Tried scapular rotation...Don't know if I did it right and was kind of over it at that point. Had a pretty good back pump though which is unusual.

JustJ
04-22-09, 9:25 pm
Standing Military Press: 95x3, 105x3, 115x3
DB Lat Raise: 15x18, 20x12, 25x10, 30x7
Rear DB Lat Pull: 20x20, 25x15, 30x13, 35x10
DB Shrugs (Dropset): 70x15-60x7-50x8, 90x10-80x5-70x6
Reverse BB Curl *Superset* Drag Curl: 35x15/40x10, 40x12/40x9, 45x10/45x8, 45x10/45x7

Good workout. Adjusted my percentages on military press because I felt they were too light (the only one I think the percentages are fairly accurate on are my bench press). I know it's not much, but I've wanted to standing press 135 for awhile, so I'm hoping to try that next shoulder workout. I feel like I'm stronger in every lift except my bench (not from this routine, just in general) but I feel like I'm not testing myself. I do a lot of high rep work, and I kind of want to try going heavy on all lifts, I'm just not sure how to go about this (how many exercises, what format to follow i.e. 5x5 on all lifts, also wonder if it would burn out my CNS).

JustJ
04-24-09, 9:14 pm
Leg Extentions (Warm Up): 60x15/15/15 (right, left, both)
Squat: 250x5, 285x3, 320x5
Hack Squat: 1PPSx21, 1PPS+25x16, 2PPSx13, 3PPSx11
Hamstring Curl: 135x17, 135x15, 150x13, 165x12
Seated Calf Raise: 45x30, 90x22, 115x17, 115x17

Despite 4 hours of sleep, not a bad workout. The squat weight felt easy; I think I could have gotten out another few reps on that last set. Nothing much else to report.

JustJ
04-27-09, 9:41 pm
Bench: 185x5, 210x3, 235x9
Incline DB Press: 50x13, 55x12, 60x10, 65x9
Dips: BWx12, +15x12, +20x10, +30x9
Seated Overhead DB Extensions: 50x13, 55x12, 60x10, 65x8

So a few highlights today: Benched way past one rep on that last set, showing that getting the percentages right for this program are way important. Also realized that the legs far back/on my toes style for benching does not work for me; they need to be flat and out wide. Inlcine DB's was good- toward the end of last year, I couldn't get 60's up for more than a couple reps with a spotter, so hitting 65's for 9 reps was nice today.

Had a weird spotter on the bench today. I'm used to the jerks that either assist you on every rep, or do what you say and don't help you until you're going to crush yourself. This guy assisted me on every rep, but only right as I was about to lock out. It was so odd to me. It's like "Um, I got the weight all the way up there, I'll manage that next half inch."

JustJ
04-29-09, 9:34 pm
Pullups: BWx5, +15x5, +20x5, +25x5, +25x5
Deads: 235x5, 275x3, 315x4
Underhand Bent Over BB Rows: 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 195x5, 225x5
Seated 1-Arm Cable Row: 60x12, 60x11, 70x10, 80x9
Scapular Roation: 2x3

Pretty happy with today. Adjusted my deadlift percentages a little so they were a bit more on point. PR's on BB row. Going to start taking some Uni-Liver next week so we'll see if that does anything.

NJC_Manhattan
04-29-09, 9:44 pm
Nice looking workouts man.

JustJ
05-04-09, 8:15 pm
Standing Military Press: 85x5, 95x3, 135x2
DB Lat Raise Superset Arnold Press: 20x15/40x7, 25x12/35x8, 30x7/25x9
*Gun Show: 60x16/40x15, 70x15/50x13, 80x13/60x12

Barely made it to the gym before closing. Was disappointed with my military press because I could get it up but couldn't quite lockout. Quick rundown of the Gun Show: got it from Defranco, basically has people superset cable curls with tricep extensions- You do as many of each as you can in 30 seconds, rest for a minute, repeat for a total of 3 supersets. Basically a quick way to get an arm pump, but I think I should have gone heavier and used the 30 seconds more for rest-pause than just high reps.

JustJ
05-04-09, 8:17 pm
I'm not going to log this week since it's basically just to deload. I'm going to keep the volume way low this week, and keep up with my HFT workouts inbetween. I'm going to start a sort of hybrid program next week based on either doubles or triples for bench/squat/bb row (I thought the deadlift might fry my back this way) on one day, and then two other days would sort of be a HIT/DC type training...This way I get some strength training and hypertrophy training mixed in, plus working muscle groups twice a week, but the volume should be about right.

JustJ
05-11-09, 8:16 pm
Squat: 295x8x2
Bench: 205x8x2
Bent Over BB Row: 205x8x2

Workout was ok. I may have put my percentages a little high. I plan on adding 5 lbs. to the bar any time I can complete all 8 sets. But, while I completed all of them today, I started fairly high and don't know if I will make consistent progress. Also originally started with a 30 second rest period between each set, but I think 1 minute is more appropriate, since I'm using about 80% versus 50%.

JustJ
05-13-09, 9:57 pm
Flat DB Press (R/P): 55x14-8-7
Incline Fly S/S Incline DB Press: 25x15/35x10
Smith Behind the Neck Military Press (R/P): 1PPSx11-6-5
Smith CG Bench Press (R/P): 1PPSx12-8-7
Smith Shrug (R/P): 1PPS+35x16-10-10
Facepull S/S Front BB Raise: 40x23/40x12
Overhead Cable Tri Extention: 50x15

Pretty damn good workout. I didn't expect to feel as worked as I did by the end of it...Don't know if that has to do with Monday's strength workout though. Either way, good session. Looking forward to the next one.

JustJ
05-18-09, 8:07 pm
Drag Curl (Rest Pause): 30x23-12-13
Incline DB Curl: 20x12
Lat Pulldown (Rest Pause): 40x15-12-11
Machine Row Super Set T-Bar Row: 1PPS+25x15/10
Leg Press (Rest Pause): 3PPSx18-12-10
Hamstring Curl: 150x17
Squat: 135x20
Calf Raise (Pause at top/bottom): 285x10
DB Pullover: 35x15

JustJ
05-18-09, 8:10 pm
Squat (Low Point): 225x5, 225x4, 225x3
Bench (Low Point): 185x5, 185x5, 185x5
Rack Pull (Just above knees): 315x5, 335x5, 355x5

Humbling experience today. Never worked on my sticking points before, so I thought it'd be more beneficial than my doubles. Squat was hard as hell, and I ended up doing more of a good morning than a squat so I've got to fix that. Bench I did too light...Think the rods should've been lower but then they would've been pushing on my chest. Rack pull...Not sure with this one...Put the rods right at the top of the knee, and I know below the knee makes it tougher, but I feel like it's not a bad idea since A) my lower back and legs were already shakey from the squats and B) I want to work more of my back than me legs anyway.

JustJ
05-20-09, 12:55 am
not sure why im writing on here still...i keep my own hard copy log, and i barely have enough time to update this and then feel like a dick for not following other people's logs. but anyway. i started taking liver tablets a little while ago....not sure if they're doing anything, but i figure they've been around forever and help kick up my protein and amino intake, so im going to keep with them. im trying to be smarter about what supplements i spend my money on these days, not buying into the hype and rather buying what works. i remember quite some time ago i was taking extra carbs (waxy maize starch) and it really helped with my gains. for some reason i stopped taking it, so i invested in some maltodextrin and think this will be a nice little extra. another thing i finally decided to try is digestive enzymes. i know i need to eat more to gain more, but i also feel like for how much ive been eating, particularly the increased protein as of late, its not showing up as i would hope. so maybe, MAYBE, these enzymes will help my nutrient uptake. another thing im hoping for is to help with digestive issues. for a long time now ive had upset stomaches, gas and bloating too frequently, so maybe this will help ouy.