PDA

View Full Version : deadlift injury

Binney08
12-16-08, 9:30 pm
i was deadlifting yesterday going for 315x5 but got 315x3. could have really struggled for a 4th but due to finals week and my workout schedule being messed up i didnt want to overexert myself. i didnt feel any pain during the lift. it was after when i went over to sit down on the chair and write in my log that it hurt bending over. keeping my back straight didnt hurt my bending over did. i can feel the pain in my sacral bones. doesnt feel like muscles. basically whenever i bend my back. its not excrutiating pain. just take a week or two off? can i still do other body parts like chest? (fyi no insurance to see a doctor)
edit: im told my forms pretty good.. but maybe from going for a new PR my form got sloppy?

prowrestler
12-16-08, 9:45 pm
i was deadlifting yesterday going for 315x5 but got 315x3. could have really struggled for a 4th but due to finals week and my workout schedule being messed up i didnt want to overexert myself. i didnt feel any pain during the lift. it was after when i went over to sit down on the chair and write in my log that it hurt bending over. keeping my back straight didnt hurt my bending over did. i can feel the pain in my sacral bones. doesnt feel like muscles. basically whenever i bend my back. its not excrutiating pain. just take a week or two off? can i still do other body parts like chest? (fyi no insurance to see a doctor)
edit: im told my forms pretty good.. but maybe from going for a new PR my form got sloppy?

no over the net doctors exist so my bet would be to see a real one in person soon before it gets bad

Sho
12-17-08, 12:05 am
when you go heavy i personally don't think you should bang out your reps without a slight rest/pause between each one... Ive had the same type of injury your describing by just gunning out heavy deadlift sets.. if that's what your doing it might be the problem. If not, im gonna guess its your form. but who knows. I'm a weightlifter, not a doctor!

V Man
12-17-08, 7:24 am
Just part of the game

take a week or two off until it has healed and get back on it.

Happens to me about 10 times a year.

Feel The Power
12-17-08, 8:16 am
x2. Just take off deads for 2 weeks or so and it should be fine. This used to happen to me if I accidentially rounded my back.

Just part of the game

take a week or two off until it has healed and get back on it.

Happens to me about 10 times a year.

Binney08
12-17-08, 9:16 am
when you go heavy i personally don't think you should bang out your reps without a slight rest/pause between each one... Ive had the same type of injury your describing by just gunning out heavy deadlift sets.. if that's what your doing it might be the problem. If not, im gonna guess its your form. but who knows. I'm a weightlifter, not a doctor!

yea i did just do continuous reps. usually the initial picking the weight off the ground is my weak point, so i thought that by keeping it continuous id keep tension on it and make it somewhat easier. keep the fire inside goin ya know? ill take 1-2 weeks off and see how it goes taking a rest/pause between

Aggression
12-17-08, 12:00 pm
I know you said you have no insurance, but if it doesn't start to get better, I'd go see one. Take a few days off totally and see how it heals up.

DaButchster
12-17-08, 1:56 pm
I pulled my groin doing squats max. I never pulled a muscle in my life, so I didn't think anything of it. I then proceeded to do deadlifts later in the week and suffered a grade 2 groin pull. I was out 4-6 weeks from any leg work; worst weeks of my life. Go to doctor if it gets worse FOR SURE.

Mike Honcho
12-17-08, 4:03 pm
Is the pain on one side of your back or both? Do you feel any shooting/tingling pain, like lightning running down your legs, or up your back?

It sounds like you might have irritated your SI joints. If you bring your knees to your chest and hug them, it will stretch your low back. Keep your hamstrings stretched, and low back, and ice your low back down for 15 minutes at a time.

Honcho

JUGGERNAUT
12-17-08, 4:34 pm
I'm in the middle of my second one now. 2 suggestions...don't fuck with it and don't under-estimate how much it can ruin your life.

There is no simple solution other then it needs to heal enough before you strain it again or it will wreck you two fold! Sometimes working around it can aggravate it, so it heals slower or not at all; so be really particular and don't think you will shrivel up from rest, it may save you.

The pain will guide you and it will also force you to have perfect form, if you do work around it...it's like a learning experience in a way. Best wishes with it. I made a 100% recovery from my first one and hope for another 100% this time too.

RENFRO
12-17-08, 8:22 pm
I'm assuming you were using a belt? I'll throw one on with anything over 225 when it comes to deads. Forces me to keep my back straight. Get some insurance if you can bro, it would be terrible if something bad were to happen when you were lifting but I'd say it's way better to be prepared. Keep us updated man, hope you get to feelin better.

futurefreak101
12-17-08, 8:58 pm
this thread makes me not wanna deadlift nemore.............

Binney08
12-17-08, 9:17 pm
Is the pain on one side of your back or both? Do you feel any shooting/tingling pain, like lightning running down your legs, or up your back?

It sounds like you might have irritated your SI joints. If you bring your knees to your chest and hug them, it will stretch your low back. Keep your hamstrings stretched, and low back, and ice your low back down for 15 minutes at a time.

Honcho

the pain is just down the middle of my back. somewhere within the pelvic area so i assumed sacral bones of the spine. its kinda hard stretching my hams cause i gotta bend over and thats when it hruts =/

I'm assuming you were using a belt? I'll throw one on with anything over 225 when it comes to deads. Forces me to keep my back straight. Get some insurance if you can bro, it would be terrible if something bad were to happen when you were lifting but I'd say it's way better to be prepared. Keep us updated man, hope you get to feelin better.

i read on the forums someone saying you dont and shouldnt use a belt unless you're doing 2x or more of your weight.. so i didnt use a belt (im 191).

thx bros. im gonna just give it a week or two off. in a week if im feeling up to it, ill start going back to the gym, and i wont start deadlifting or squatting till all the pains gone.

RENFRO
12-18-08, 9:44 am
the pain is just down the middle of my back. somewhere within the pelvic area so i assumed sacral bones of the spine. its kinda hard stretching my hams cause i gotta bend over and thats when it hruts =/

i read on the forums someone saying you dont and shouldnt use a belt unless you're doing 2x or more of your weight.. so i didnt use a belt (im 191).

thx bros. im gonna just give it a week or two off. in a week if im feeling up to it, ill start going back to the gym, and i wont start deadlifting or squatting till all the pains gone.

yeah i've read the same. but quite honestly I disagree. Just my two cents. It's my back and I only get one of them. I'll be wearing the belt with deads.

Binney08
12-24-08, 12:48 pm
well it's been over a week since I hurt my back. It's slot better but I stiill can't curve my back fully (i.e. Pullin on pants can't bring my legs up to my chest like usual to put leg in pants. Gotta go to the side.)

Going back to the gym today for a light workout. During this week and a half off tho, strangely my whole body has been sore and aching. Like my knees shoulders some muscles like legs. Maybe it's my body recovering from the constant heavy weights being lifted? But I thought it'd be the other way around. Sore while lifting, good while resting.

phlex_ing
12-26-08, 8:55 am
x2. Just take off deads for 2 weeks or so and it should be fine. This used to happen to me if I accidentially rounded my back.

yeah same here. it happens, if you don't get any better after a few weeks i would go see a doc but it's happens to me when i round my back witch means the weight is to heavy. what makes mine fell better is put your hands on the arms of a chair with your feet on the floor like you'r about to do dips and let your butt swing a few inchs from the seat.