PDA

View Full Version : Training Sick

BigNate
01-08-07, 7:43 pm
What's up fellas. I just wanted some input on how everyone addresses training while being under the weather. I'm pretty sure my old lady gave me the cold bug over the weekend. I've progressively felt worse and worse since Saturday. Sinus', headache, cold sweats... the usual. It really pisses me off to miss a work out, especially because I'm not feeling 100%, so I went in and trained delts tonight. WOW, did I get my ass kicked. I was realistic about it and after I saw my strenght was low I backed my weight off and trained within my limits today. I did manage to get a pump... not a screaming my skin is gonna tear open pump, but a pump none the less.

What do you fellas do when sick? Train through it or rest up? Dr's apointment tomorrow. Wish me luck.

TheNaturalG
01-08-07, 8:16 pm
What's up fellas. I just wanted some input on how everyone addresses training while being under the weather. I'm pretty sure my old lady gave me the cold bug over the weekend. I've progressively felt worse and worse since Saturday. Sinus', headache, cold sweats... the usual. It really pisses me off to miss a work out, especially because I'm not feeling 100%, so I went in and trained delts tonight. WOW, did I get my ass kicked. I was realistic about it and after I saw my strenght was low I backed my weight off and trained within my limits today. I did manage to get a pump... not a screaming my skin is gonna tear open pump, but a pump none the less.

What do you fellas do when sick? Train through it or rest up? Dr's apointment tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Take some extra vitamin C and get alot of rest. If you work out you are just gonna make it worse because your central nervous system is battling the sickness and you are just making it harder to do that by working out.

Jon
01-08-07, 8:55 pm
Whenever i start to feel sick i just take some Animal Paks and jump on the treadmill for couple hours...Usually feel 100% after 2 days

The Wanderer
01-08-07, 9:09 pm
Take some extra vitamin C and get alot of rest. If you work out you are just gonna make it worse because your central nervous system is battling the sickness and you are just making it harder to do that by working out.

True say, anytime I feel like I might be getting sick I up my vitamins, it always helps. If it doesn't obliterate it straight aways it makes it tolerable. Yeah and rest is always important, if you have too, miss the time at the gym but make sure you catch up eventually.

MELTDOWN
01-08-07, 10:05 pm
Whenever i start to feel sick i just take some Animal Paks and jump on the treadmill for couple hours...Usually feel 100% after 2 days

+1..........seems 2 days and it's gone.

BigNate
01-08-07, 10:12 pm
+1..........seems 2 days and it's gone.

Thanks guys. Ya, I've been uping the Animal Pak the last couple days taking 2 or 3 a day. Tomorrow is a cardio day, so I'll crank it up for @ least 45 min and try to sweat it out.

TYEster
01-08-07, 10:19 pm
Depends on how under the weather...

The sniffles, a light cough and a headache get no mercy.

But when the body aches, the stomach can barely keep the food down, and being alive just hurts I take as easy as possible. Lightest possible wieghts to keep the joints moving, and minimal time anywhere other than getting my rest, food and vitamens.

MELTDOWN
01-08-07, 10:20 pm
Remember that each one reacts differently. Back when I lived at the coast, I could "swim it out". But the ramped up cardio and two Paks per day (for me, am and pm if sick) knocks it right out.

alkalineman
01-09-07, 12:27 am
I felt sick for a couple days and was battling through a back/bi workout. I felt incredibly weak and sick to my stomach but I got through it. Suprisingly I felt better the next day. But I guess everyone reacts differently. If I KNOW i'm sick, I won't work out.

GADO
01-09-07, 12:27 am
Remember that each one reacts differently. Back when I lived at the coast, I could "swim it out". But the ramped up cardio and two Paks per day (for me, am and pm if sick) knocks it right out.

Agreed. Everyone reacts differently. I just recently got over bronchitis... and when I found out I had it I was so pissed off... not because I was sick, but because it might keep me out of the gym. You have to listen to your body, and judge on whether training is good for you or not, as well as for everyone else in the gym having a sick guy working out with them. As for me... I said fuck that and trained anyway. I'm too stuborn to stay away. Besides, I'd never miss chest day.

If you are not at 100% you should rest up and boost up your vitamin intake bro!! Don't forget your health is one of the must precious thinks you have Big fella, at the end nothing is more important then that!!

Live today Fight Tomorrow

Freakshow
01-09-07, 7:12 pm
I will always take a day off if I am sick. I keep eating like a freak though. Take 2 Animal Paks a day when you are sick, or some extra vitamin c, and rest up, forget the gym for at least 24 hours.

BigNate
01-10-07, 12:09 pm
Went to the Dr's yesterday. Sinus infection. He gave me couple anti's and sent me on my way. Did 40 min incline walkin' on the treadmill lastnight. I feel alittle better today. Legs are tonight. I'm gonna hit 'em, but stay with in my limits. Nothing crazy tonight.

Mr.Totality
01-10-07, 12:20 pm
I do as much cardio as I can just the sweat the shit out of me. Still lift on a lighter routine however

xenrus
01-17-07, 10:51 am
sometimes when i begin to feel sick , i take Pak and go do a little training just to filter my inside and warm up the muscle , after that go to the sauna with a hot tea and mint essence (to spray over the stones).After that go home eat and go right to bed , the next day i'm feeling on a million bucks.But if it's really bad i will stay in bed all day sleeping , eating and swetting.
For me there is no sence eating more than 1 Pak a day , if you take 2-3 , your organism will take as much as it needs (maybe half of the dose , maybe a full one)and piss the rest out.

Maccabee
01-22-07, 5:11 pm
Allright guys the thing is I am sick and i just vomitted twice, the qeustion is would you go train or would you rather recover? I've trained when i was sick before but this time its worst. Would you go train or would you stay home and recover?

Dunk
01-22-07, 5:14 pm
I would stay home and recover, I don't believe you gain a whole lot while sick, possibly do something stupid because you aren't thinking right and end up taking a few steps back. Also you are spreading those gyms around to the rest of the gym. Just stay at home and rest

Maccabee
01-22-07, 5:20 pm
thats what i thought some would say, i guess iam stayin home today.

Hollywood
01-22-07, 5:21 pm
Depends on the illness. When I have a common cold or bad allergies, it actually feels good to get out and move around so I'll definitely go train. Just make sure you're drinking a shitload of water and resting a lot more than usual. But if I'm really sick like food poisoning (which i've been getting pretty frequently lately) or something more serious, take a day or 2 off and rest.

Maccabee
01-22-07, 5:22 pm
well if i vomitted twice today is that counted bad enough?

Rooster
01-22-07, 5:38 pm
Stay home! Dont bring the funk to the gym. You need to not only think of yourself getting better but also think about the brother next on the bench or dumbells to get the same funk that you got.

THIS IS SOUND ADVICE TO ALL THINKING OF TRAINING WHILE SICK...DONT BRING YOUR FUNK TO THE GYM.

The only thing that you need to bring is your game.

Hatred
01-22-07, 5:40 pm
Damn. It's been said but LEAVE the diseases at home bros. Your bodies need the downtime to fight it off so you can get back in the game.

Maccabee
01-22-07, 5:47 pm
Allright guys i got you now, I will stay home and recover because honestly i feel the same way i dont want to get a fellow Animal sick or even someone who isnt an Animal because everyone is in the gym to improve there lives and i dont wanna slow anyone down. Thanks, I am going to go get some medicine and sleep.

phila82r
01-25-07, 4:01 pm
Hey,

I got the influenza virus... and it sucks! I got no power, I am sooo tired even though I slept 9hrs... so what do you do when you are sick? When my alarm rang at 5h30am this morning, I was so "fucked up" that I stayed in bed and slept 2 more hours... but I got this guilt problem now :P

Do you still hit the gym? Take less "milk" products? How do you recover faster?

Hardcore4Life
01-25-07, 4:19 pm
me personally, when i have the flu i rest and take some shakes to keep the calories high. but with the average cold, i still train hard. if your throwing up and have a fever there is no need to break your body down even more, rest and get better faster..

big H
01-25-07, 4:26 pm
yeah i still hit the gym when im sick.it hurts your imune system and you may not recover as fast. for me it depends how bad it is, if your sick aint nothing you can do about it gotta sleep man. but try a shot of whiskey and some bukleys.. works great for me

abs
01-25-07, 4:45 pm
...is all I'm saying. When you feel sick, don't guilt yourself out. Depending upon how bad you feel, you can do (in my humble experience) one of two things:

i) Iron is a habit and habits are hard to break; you can hit the gym and get your mind and body in that physical environment to which you are only too well accustomed. But train with less intensity. Be smart and listen to your body. An ailing immune system is telling you that if you continue with your normal train of intensity, you'll head towards a physiological breakdown. Something you do not want. So, depending upon how severely f'd up you feel, do continue frequenting the gym but ease up on intensity. How much you ease up is entirely dependent upon how well you can read your body. Knowing how to ease up to the right degree may take a lifetime to figure. But the important thing is that you try.

ii) yes, the other option is to refrain from the gym altogether if you feel that messed up, regardless of how difficult this might be. This Iron sport is not a race, it's a marathon. Don't try and hurry your progress along prematurelely. Think long term.

Hope this helps, phila82r.

serban
01-25-07, 4:50 pm
I feel that no matter how sick i am i can always use something to give me a bit of color in my cheeks. Apart from that ... during training all the coughing and sneezing etc. it just dissapears and it just feels great to be rid of them ... even for an hour.

Hercules
01-25-07, 4:51 pm
Load up on protein and fluids. Various whole-food protein sources contain a substance called N-acetylcysteine. It's a precursor in the formation of the antioxidant glutathione in the body. Glutathione, in turn, will protect the cells of your body. Chicken, from what I remember, is high in N-acetylcysteine.

I took a supplement a loooong time ago containing N-acetylcysteine and did some research on it. I remember the basics but you can do more research (if you're interested).

On the matter of training or not....

Fever = NO TRAINING (although light cardio will do you some good)
No fever = BALLS TO THE WALL!

combatwombat
01-25-07, 4:55 pm
For me it's simple.

Flu = No trianing.

Cold = If my nose ain't leaking. I'll train.

If it is, I just bring an extra towel.

xschizx
01-25-07, 4:59 pm
Yea, I was just thinking this same thing, starting to come down with a cold.

But I'm going to be in the gym as soon as I get out of work. If I'm not laid up I'll be there.

Toni69
01-25-07, 5:15 pm
I think this all depends on how sick you are...if I have a bad cold I still go and train. I have had some strong workouts when I was ill. If you have the flu, its probably a good idea to stay home, rest and recuperate. Take glutamine and extra vitamin c to boost your immune system.

Listen to your body..its knows best.

stumpy29
01-25-07, 8:15 pm
How many of you train while sick? Do you feel it is better to go to gym and do a little something? Maybe less weight and more reps? Or do you prefer to lay out until you a better?

gsb239
01-25-07, 8:20 pm
Listen to your body. The last thing you wanna do when you're sick is put more stress on your immune system by lifting weights.

TheNaturalG
01-25-07, 8:26 pm
How many of you train while sick? Do you feel it is better to go to gym and do a little something? Maybe less weight and more reps? Or do you prefer to lay out until you a better?

When your sick your body is fighting the sickness which can take a toll on your central nervous system and immue system. If you workout you are just gonn tax it more and you will be more likely to overtrain and make your sickness last longer.

The sickness itself could even be a sign of overtraining.

Ryan
01-25-07, 8:28 pm
I worked out about 4 days ago and I wasn't feeling all that great. A couple hours after the gym I felt like crap and now I've been sick for the last 4 days. If you get sick just eat up and take a break, I def learned my lesson.

vIShuS
01-25-07, 8:42 pm
yeah I agree with the saty home when sick. I just got done gettin through the flu and what happened was that I didnt digest any food throughout the whole day. so thats over 4 meals undigested just sittin in my stomach. I didnt think much of it when I got to the gym, but found out the hard way running to the toilet only to almost pass out from puking so much. so STAY HOME if you get really sick, you only hurt yourself more if you trin with that junk. With the cold, I didnt really have any problems with training, just make sure u get that Vitamin C in there as much as you can, but onyl the required amount.

-SiSu

phila82r
01-25-07, 10:02 pm
Thank to all.

From everything I read here, I will try to go through this flu asap. I will rest as much as I can, take Vitamin C (Animal Flex = 137% Vitamin C), and as soon as I start feeling better, I will hit the gym.

Thanks for your input! If you got anymore suggestions, keep 'em commin! :D

Maccabee
01-25-07, 10:10 pm
I got really sick this week also, and I know how you feel because i also felt guilty not going. Sometimes your better off takin one step back so later you can take two steps forward. If you feel really bad and fucked up then stay home and recuperate.

Cstlfx
01-25-07, 10:41 pm
I dont go to the gym when I am sick, for two reasons, one: I'll recover faster if my body is not trying to also recover from working out and two: I dont want to pass it on. Its easy to get it back after its been passed around.

D'Afrique
01-26-07, 12:59 am
I respectfully disagree with the other posters. If the symptoms are in the neck and up (ie. a cold) I do train. Lower the volume and up the weight. I find that my endurance is shot, but my intensity is fine.

If you have symptoms below the neck (ie. flu) avoid training as it might damage your heart muscles.

For other illnesses play it by ear.

These are my opinions and should never be subsistuted for medical advice.

deeder
01-26-07, 2:19 am
I respectfully disagree with the other posters. If the symptoms are in the neck and up (ie. a cold) I do train. Lower the volume and up the weight. I find that my endurance is shot, but my intensity is fine.

If you have symptoms below the neck (ie. flu) avoid training as it might damage your heart muscles.

For other illnesses play it by ear.

These are my opinions and should never be subsistuted for medical advice.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say!

Toni69
01-26-07, 4:11 am
Thank to all.

From everything I read here, I will try to go through this flu asap. I will rest as much as I can, take Vitamin C (Animal Flex = 137% Vitamin C), and as soon as I start feeling better, I will hit the gym.

Thanks for your input! If you got anymore suggestions, keep 'em commin! :D

Hey...I can always mail you my famous fudge brownies...they make everyone feel better! Feel better man!

hjayss
01-26-07, 5:31 am
I did not know I was as sick as I was bro I was under 265lbs and it was hard to get a rep out I was like what the f@$% this is my second set I usually get 6 here. I stopped I was sick as hell the next day called of work man brutal just rest man your body needs it.

hjayss
01-26-07, 7:03 am
Your body will thank you trust me shes like a machine and the battery needs a rest it will come back stronger than ever. Stretch here and there but do a few stick twist eat plenty of vitamin c bro hope you feel better.

phila82r
01-26-07, 9:09 am
Your body will thank you trust me shes like a machine and the battery needs a rest it will come back stronger than ever. Stretch here and there but do a few stick twist eat plenty of vitamin c bro hope you feel better.

Yeah, I need to get myself some Vitamin C...

Hey...I can always mail you my famous fudge brownies...they make everyone feel better! Feel better man!

Haha, fudge brownies? Sounds interesting... always show me :)

Hoops
01-26-07, 12:20 pm
sick= no training.

Why in hell would you try and get your body to build muscle when it's fighting off a cold? The gym isn't going anywhere and this game isn't a race. Missing one session isn't going to cost you jack shit. Stayign sick for another few days is a LOT worse. That said...what is this "sick" thing people talk of? If you're getting sick more than once a year, you're NOT taking proper care of yourself.

naturalguy
01-26-07, 1:04 pm
I know it's hardcore to just try and push through it but sometimes your better off taking an extra day off to recover. You can come back and fight the fight another day. Sometimes you can make it worse by training and setting yourself back longer.

I go by instinct, if it's just the sniffles, I am training but if I feel achy and run down all over, I will take an extra day and load up on nutrients. That means two Animal Paks a day when I am run down.

niladmirari88
01-29-07, 1:03 pm
I like to train when I have a cold or the sniffles cause it seems to clear me right up, even if only for a little bit.

Punisher
01-29-07, 1:15 pm
I must say if you are going to train when you are sick be courteous of other gym members and wipe everything down that you are using

Joff the Beast
02-15-07, 4:47 pm
Hi brothers,

Waking up this morning I had a very sore throat. My roomate had this 3 days ago and is now is worst. I dont know if its a flu or a cold because for now I have only the sorethroat and a stuffy nose as symptoms.

Tonight is my last training of the week (Pecs,biceps,abs), Im not sure if I should hit the weight or stay home and have some rest to be ready to train monday.

Last time I trained while having the flu or a cold I remained sick way longer.

Hell the only thing Im thinking right now is training tonight like an Animal but is it wise?

Whats your opinion ?

ghost
02-15-07, 4:50 pm
it all depends on what it is you have, and how bad you really are..you could just stick to cardio and try to get rid of it quicker

also...look here

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1313&highlight=train+sick

darkside64
02-15-07, 4:53 pm
bro being an animal is not being a mindless idiot. You also have to be smart. If I have the sniffles in the morning you better believe my ass is in the gym. However if you have a sore throat and feel weak in the gym, then it's time to use common sense. Only you can be the judge of that. There have been times where I have trained with sores throats coughs and fevers and turned out fine. However you might do that and start getting weaker which= catabolic which= unproductive.

gnoll5
02-15-07, 5:08 pm
its a tough call. i have felt like something was coming on, trained like crazy, and ended up being a lot sicker than i normally get; i guess the body was just too depleted to fight it. after that i had it in my head that if i felt a cold coming on, i wouldn't train for a couple days and let my body rest, but the last time i got feeling like somnething was coming on, nothing did, and i wasted a day of training. you really have no way of knowing how bad its going to be, so i would maybe lift light the first day and see if its getting worse. one other consideration too: if you know its going to be a rough virus, its good courtesy to NOT go to the gym and spread it all over the place.

k1usa
02-15-07, 5:13 pm
when this kind of thing happens to me....I get into the gym regardless...and if the power level is the shits...I do cardio...high rep and make something happen....I joke about not having time to be sick...and so far...on my 8 months back into the gym....not one sniffle....I think you should get there...bundle up...and do what you have to do...then go home and rest....meanwhile...be well bro....and train hard

Jewfro
02-15-07, 5:15 pm
get in there and train man. Dont try setting any records, but doing something is better than nothing.

kylejones45
02-15-07, 5:18 pm
Yeah do light weight if needed, just get in there, being physical may help sweat the sickness out of your body!

Joff the Beast
02-15-07, 5:38 pm
Thx for the answers brothers. Ill play it safe and stay home tonight to take some sleep and see if I can train tomorrow instead. Also Ill double up my intake of Echinacea.

Fortunatly since I take one Animal Pak each morning Ill get plenty Vitamin C (1gram) which helps my immune system. Gotta drink a lot of water too.

pdiesel
02-15-07, 6:12 pm
im actually sick right now! ive had a cold for about 2 days now, i hit the gym yesterday and got a HUGE pump in my arm workout..honestly, i just take a really hot shower and make sure im not too congested going to the gym..they say that sometimes it's just better to rest and recover, but im thick headed! i go in there and actually feel like im sweating out the cold! i always feel better after a lift..however, i wouldnt push it too far though..if you are really really sick, then just stay home and get a lot of fluids and eat healthy..dont forget rest..

IronMan360
03-16-07, 1:14 am
Okay so i got sick last fri... and haven't worked out for a week.... i think it is a cold or somethin... short of breath... runny/stuffy nose... headache... lympnodes swollen... neways is it better for me to start lifting again or will it weakin my immune system... and stop my body from fighting the infection?

born0withno0soul
03-16-07, 1:27 am
working out does weaken your immune system. so its your call. if you decide to work out and you take animal pak take two paks a day instead of one. pop a few more grams of vitamin c and sleep as much as possible. fuck watching tv, and reading mags. just do your daily life chores, workout, eat and sleep. even take a couple tylenol pm if you have to. that will get you through i do it every year. i get a bad cold twice every year. been a routine since i was old enough to remember. and i have learned to fight through them.

T_N_Muscle
03-16-07, 1:34 am
ya, my dads a doc, and he helps me alot with my health problems. he always tells me "little girl, when u feel like goin back to the gym, wait one more day, listen to your body!" (hes a smart man)
so i am passing on this info to you my friend, oh and btw? just because you are MALE does not mean you shouldnt see a physician...lol
hugs
shell

Liftbig21
03-16-07, 2:19 am
Couple threads on this bro...Try the search....Get your rest for a day...training will break you immune down more

hewittfighter
03-16-07, 2:26 am
Hey, I've been taking some classes and a few days ago we were discussing working out and feeling sick, this is what the instructor said: when your feeling sick from the chest up without a headache it's ok to work out but with a headache and(or) feeling sick its not a good idea to workout. Hope ya get better keep the vitamin c and rest high
late--
h-fighter

Brute Strength
03-19-07, 11:34 am
Should you workout if you are sick? Like contantly coughing or a cold?

HAWK
03-19-07, 11:38 am
Sometimes time off can be beneficial to get well. Sometimes, it doesn't really matter, it depends on how sick you feel. Just don't come to my weight room and cough near me while I'm suckin wind in the power rack haha.

Brute Strength
03-19-07, 11:40 am
lol, its cool i got a home gym

IronLeague
03-19-07, 11:44 am
If you are sick your immune system is already weak....intense training will only break it down further. Let your body recover, drink alot of fluids and try your best to get your meals in.

Respect,
IronLeague

Argos
03-19-07, 2:54 pm
Dude, just got off a week of being sick. I tried to hit it hard on Monday...but I think I just made it worse...I took the rest of the week off and was ready to go this morning. I don't know if it was because I got a week's worth of rest or just because I have been dying to get back in the gym but I hit the weights like a tidal wave. I busted my butt and could barely lift my arms when I was done. I would say if you can workout...but if it is too much for your body take the time off and recoop, a little rest never hurt anyone...just don't use it as an excuse...

For the pain

ironshaolin
03-19-07, 3:01 pm
Yeah listen to your body. If I'm feelin sick, sometimes I'll tough it out but depending on how sick, like if getting out of bed and walking to the fridge is harder work than squatting 400+lbs, you're better off stayin home and recovering. Some people say especially if you've been hitting the weights hard for a while without too much time off, taking a week off can help your gains.

Korg
03-19-07, 3:08 pm
Should you workout if you are sick? Like contantly coughing or a cold?

dude, you can do serious damage to your heart if you train while sick.

COLE
03-19-07, 3:19 pm
I'm with you Brothers. I started out with a cold turned into a sinus infection, been nauseas as hell and already sick of chicken that don't fucking help and suffered trough several workouts but managed. Never had a sickness this long going on 4 weeks. Went to the Doc and get some antibiotics and that just made matters worse going back and forth to the bathroom after taking it for one day. Not good Brothers let me tell you. That shit had to go.

I haven't got a good back workout in several weeks now and that pisses me off. This weekend will be my first back workout in a while and let me tell you I have some catching up to do.

I don't think shit could get much worse so I look at it as it can only get better as I have made the best out of all of it as much as possible. This week I hope to get back on track. What don't kill us will make us stronger is the way I look at it.

In Iron stay strong and let the troubles make you stronger.

Animal Strong!

crazymonk
03-19-07, 7:09 pm
whenever i am sick, i do a ton of cardio to sweat the sickness out of me. it seems to help most of the time. also, steam room.

darkside64
03-19-07, 7:42 pm
like the dude above said sweating helps a lot when you feel weak and shitty. I have been having the sniffles for the past 2 weeks but thats not going to change the fact that I'm going to deadlift 405 tomorrow for reps. You just gotta listen to your body. Depending how sick you feel give your body rest

Reacher34
03-19-07, 9:16 pm
As all these guys have already said, listen to your body, don't be a pussy....but know the difference and know when you really need to rest. Case in point, last week i had some virus. I usually train five days a week. Took two days off to rest and figured i'll just pull a double and train on the weekend to catch up. Turns out i couldn't shake the bug and got back in action to soon. I was squatting and dripping with sweat. Shivering and dizziness.....then i passed out with 315 on my back. I remember counting reps: 9, 10,11.....next thing i know im on the floor. Thank God I had a good spotter and other people were around catch the bar so i didn't kill myself. Moral is to be smart and safe. An Animal finds no shame in self-preservation.

PS. I wasn't calling anyone a "pussy" above....just making a point. ;)

Ricky P
03-19-07, 10:07 pm
I just recently came off of being sick. Got home from work Thursday night with some wierd chills and a real bad headache. Took my temp and was at 102. I took a couple days off and like IronLeague said, I rested up, drank a lot of fluids and tried to eat when I could even though I didn't have much of an appetite. I got back in the gym yesterday since my fever had subsided and felt a little sluggish. Today I felt a lot better in there, and I'm sure it'll just be downhill from here on out.
Do what you gotta do to get better first, if you can't go 100 percent there's no point in lifting, you risk bad form and worst of all injury.

mcbeast
03-19-07, 10:20 pm
whenever i am sick, i do a ton of cardio to sweat the sickness out of me. it seems to help most of the time. also, steam room.

this works,been there done that..take a double dose of ur multivitamin and take echachnia )sp(? havent gotten sick all winter...

Gunshow
03-19-07, 11:00 pm
go sit in the sauna, i just got back from vacation and i was feeling not too hot, sat in the sauna for like an hour, sweat like a hostage, felt amazing after. i was lifting at 100% the next day.

DRIVEN
03-20-07, 2:53 pm
ive been battling gettin rid of the sideffects of MONO virus lately, let me tell you i dont think that their is a worse COLD related sickness than gettin that shit.......im just starting to be regaining my strenght back and sitll feel tired sometimes......it lasted for a good 2 months! not much u can do but chill out take ur pak and eat eat eat.......been brousin this website til i could lift again!

Ironhead315
04-02-07, 11:24 pm
So today was the first day that i missed in a long time due to a head cold my ? is. Should i
(A) Wait to be a 100% and then go?
(B) Just go and work through it and hope for the best?

Giant Killer
04-02-07, 11:29 pm
A head cold? Get to trainin' brother. Stop when you break your legs or something. Haha, in fact, don't stop then either.

GK

Tron
04-02-07, 11:36 pm
I probably would have gone, but that's beside the point. If you don't make it into the gym when you feel a little bad, then you won't make it very long here. When you can walk without feeling like you are going to pass out, get in there and make yourself vomit.

Sir J-Werk
04-02-07, 11:38 pm
You don't feed a cold, YOU BEAT A COLD! .... and take some Tussin after your done working out.

Stay Strong, stay Focused, stay Animal!

Respect.

Big Wides
04-02-07, 11:57 pm
up the vitimin C (sp) and sweat that bastard out

Ironhead315
04-03-07, 12:00 am
thanks for the kick in the ass. I will now go.

Mean Machine
04-03-07, 2:24 am
So today was the first day that i missed in a long time due to a head cold my ? is. Should i
(A) Wait to be a 100% and then go?
(B) Just go and work through it and hope for the best?

If it is the first time in a long time then missing the gym could be the best thing you could do. Every so often you should take a break from lifting to let your body get some rest. I usually see some of my best gains when I do that.

dIdDy
04-03-07, 2:49 am
It would depend on if it was just a lil runny nose or like a pounding head....

Brute Strength
04-16-07, 8:55 am
got another question to add to this, im home today with a fever, and im tryin to sweat it out and everything. But should i take my supps, i know on off days you still take pak and pump, but wat about today. And with motrin and advil and other medicines, can i take them with my supps. Really need help.

ghost
04-16-07, 9:01 am
there are a TON of threads about weightlifting while sick already..please use the SEARCH option next time, and research about the topic. Thanks.

Brute Strength
04-16-07, 9:21 am
this was my own thread, so i added this one to it? wat are you talking about, i already asked about weightlifting while sick, so instead of making a new thread i asked if i could take supps while im sick along with weightlifting. rcrott1 did you even look who originally posted this? But can anybody please answer my question about taking supps while sick.

Phil800101
04-16-07, 11:01 am
Yes, I would still take them even when sick. Well, the "off day" supps anyway. Just treat being sick lke any other off day in terms of what you would take. Plus, the Pak has all those vitamins/nutrients which will help with recovery, and the Pump has all that vitamin C which will help too. You might want to not take your red pump pill though, especially since you'll want to get as much rest as possible.

pdiesel
04-16-07, 12:00 pm
depends how bad your symptoms are..if u have allergies or whatever but if you are really sick i would just drink a lot of OJ and rest a lot..also take a really hot shower that loosens up all of the mucus in your chest..

Masculus
04-16-07, 12:27 pm
For me working thru sickness helps. It depends on your body, personally, my philosophy is that working out can essentially "burn out" a cold, whereas other people believe that working out weakens your immune system and will only make you sicker.

Listen to your body..

Malloy1344
04-16-07, 4:19 pm
I was feelin pretty shitty one day, and i went into the gym and blasted chest and back cuz I hate missing a workout....the next day I was praying for death I was so sick. I ended up being down for 2 weeks.....Rest and recover......going into the gym at 65% isn't an option.

LegendKillerJosh
06-22-07, 11:36 am
I came down with a cold after my wednesday morning workout. Thursday I felt it more, but now (Friday morning) I pretty much feel fine except my nose is running. Do you think I'd be alright training tomorrow? What do you guys do when you get a cold? I'll usually just rest until I feel better because I know a.) my workout will suck and b.) it will just make me take longer to recover. Do you ever try to workout through a cold?

krazyassmexican
06-22-07, 11:40 am
i am still sick

that shit started last tuesday
i was shaking honestly i was crying it was to bad it was back day but when i got home and change clothes to go to the gym i kinda fainted and woke up 2 hours later weaks as fuck
but wednesday and yesterday i went beating the shit out of my body

Maxhole
06-22-07, 11:45 am
I read in Musclemag Intl. That when your sick it's best just not to train, and let your body recover. Plus when your sick, you're already gonna be weak as hell, and feel like shit.

krazyassmexican
06-22-07, 11:56 am
i would say that's bullshit like i said i am still sick and yesterday i was squating 300lbs(the heaviest since i started)
I read in Musclemag Intl. That when your sick it's best just not to train, and let your body recover. Plus when your sick, you're already gonna be weak as hell, and feel like shit.

Intense Red Head Man
06-22-07, 2:30 pm
never train when u are sick, it means your immune system is mad low. High vitamin C plenty of water, plenty of sleep, just have shakes with water. lots of fruits. I never train when im sick, you actually weeken your immune system and prolong your sickness. you will know when you are 100% better to hit the weights at a 100% level.

MountSaintTraps
07-15-07, 10:08 pm
Sup guys, ive been extremely sick for about a week. like, almost no eating with a 103 fever. how much of a setback do you guys think that is

renglander
07-15-07, 10:22 pm
Do not try and come back balls to the wall. Up your Vit C, drink OJ alot, and water. Once your ready to lift again, go lighter for the first week and then go from there.

Young&Hungry
07-15-07, 10:38 pm
Got pretty sick with a bad sinus infection on Friday, but today I feel perfect and took no meds. I drank Emergen-C twice a day, downed a full gallon of diet caffeine-free green tea a day, and had a bowl of spinach with every meal. Had this unquenchable thirst too, yesterday alone I had something like three gallons of water. Hell of a lot cheaper than shoving 8 pills down your throat and worked like a charm too.

Suleiman
07-15-07, 11:31 pm
Sup guys, ive been extremely sick for about a week. like, almost no eating with a 103 fever. how much of a setback do you guys think that is

well sometimes you never know when your sick you need lots of rest and when i was extremely sick about a couple months ago all that rest actually helped me get passed a couple platues i couldn't get passed so think of it as much needed rest(but under the unwanted circumstances lol) hey good chance you'll come out stronger than ever....just remember just like Young&Hungry said eat b/c although i came back stronger i lost some mass from not eating....hope you get better...

Joker-Roo
07-16-07, 9:41 am
Have had a stuffy nose for little while, (off my pak for about a week now) got back on it, and within two days it was gone and I felt like million bucks again.

If I ever felt a cold coming on I would take 1 in the morning and 1 before bed.

Worked like a charm.

Andru

naturalguy
07-16-07, 10:39 am
Get yourself healthy and then ease back into training. You don't want a relapse and then get even worse where you can't train for a long time.

G Diesel
07-16-07, 10:46 am
Heavy hydration, lots of Vitamin C and as much rest as you can get bro... Tell yourself that the rest is a blessing in disguise and put yourself in the frame of mind best suited to getting healthy ASAP. Fast track this illness and stay positive and you'll be back blasting shit in no time. Peace, G

BigAnt
07-16-07, 10:47 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------get your rest!

we don't lease our size shape, try to keep your fluids up-water-juice gatorade...eat fruits and snack on seeds nuts if you are not very hungry, when you are feeling better, start back slow...you will only loose a tiny bit of water weight..

where do you train in PA-Philly?

MountSaintTraps
07-16-07, 12:24 pm
actually i just found out today that my sickness is mono. so, im gonna be off for a while. what i need to know is should i maintain my diet of chicken and beef with 300-400 grams of protein even while im not training, or should i cut down to my nutrients based on the fact that i wont be training. and to answer your question, BIG ANT, i train in south jersey at the LA fitness in Cherry Hill. my buddy is one of the guys there so i get to work out for free. Ive always wondered wher u train because i think were near each other

BigAnt
07-16-07, 12:48 pm
actually i just found out today that my sickness is mono. so, im gonna be off for a while. what i need to know is should i maintain my diet of chicken and beef with 300-400 grams of protein even while im not training, or should i cut down to my nutrients based on the fact that i wont be training. and to answer your question, BIG ANT, i train in south jersey at the LA fitness in Cherry Hill. my buddy is one of the guys there so i get to work out for free. Ive always wondered wher u train because i think were near each other

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am in PA, close to Plymouth Mtg, I know your LA, nice area....keep your nutrients up, sometimes you might not feel like eating===Mono adverse effects are----fever, sore throat, headaches, swollen glands in your neck, feeling tired and not feeling hungry...So a once-in-a-while treat like a steak sandwich-pizza-ice cream will do the job!
Mono will go away on its own. Symptoms usually last about 3-4 weeks.

drizzt
07-16-07, 3:54 pm
yo BigAnt.....what gym do you go to, im pretty close to that. You know media or granite run? im like 5-10 minutes out of both of those.

big_mikep187
08-31-07, 2:02 pm
I've found that since I've been training, nearly a year now, I've been way more sick that usual. I am taking multivitamins, vitamin c,a,b and omega's 3 and 6.
plus i eat right (whenever possible). but I still get sick..

this year alone I have been sick more times than the last 3years combined. any of you guys have the same problem?

Riesjs
08-31-07, 6:37 pm
Sick from the neck up, you can train....neck down, stay home.

Shark
08-31-07, 11:01 pm
I must say if you are going to train when you are sick be courteous of other gym members and wipe everything down that you are using

That's exactly what I was thinking.

But when I have a cold I still hit the gym. I am normally germaphobic so I always spray things before if I think it is sketchy anyways. But flu is damn near impossible to work through.

gflash77
09-01-07, 12:28 am
Hey,

I got the influenza virus... and it sucks! I got no power, I am sooo tired even though I slept 9hrs... so what do you do when you are sick? When my alarm rang at 5h30am this morning, I was so "fucked up" that I stayed in bed and slept 2 more hours... but I got this guilt problem now :P

Do you still hit the gym? Take less "milk" products? How do you recover faster?

The answer is rest. You also run the risk of spreading your flu to other people working out. Keep your fluid levels high, eat whatever you can to keep calories in, and rest until you feel better! I became very ill with flu the first of the year and was averaging 12 - 14 hours a day, naps included.

Renji007
12-06-07, 10:17 am
I got a cold the other day and it's prevented me from running and weightlifting for a few days. I just got a new can of Pak and it's making me feel a little better but I need something to fix me up fast since I feel like utter SHIT when I can't lift or run.

krazyassmexican
12-06-07, 10:18 am
EAT and REST

G Diesel
12-06-07, 10:19 am
Pak, gallons of fluids, megadose Vitamin C, aspirin and nighttime Theraflu mixed in hot tea with honey and lemon and as much sleep as I can get. Peace, G

ghost
12-06-07, 10:20 am
Pak, gallons of fluids, megadose Vitamin C, aspirin and nighttime Theraflu mixed in hot tea with honey and lemon and as much sleep as I can get. Peace, G

yeah... x2 here.

musclealchemist

Wow, G seems to have that down pretty well. I would follow that.

krazyassmexican

a great stack in my case i dont take aspirin or theraflu

otc medicines are not for me
but i know this is a great advice and works

Everyonedoes
12-06-07, 10:23 am
Drink as much water as possible if you normaly drink 1 gallon of water a day try to down 4. Take alot of vitamin c. I know everytime i get sick i drop at least 3-5 pounds so eating more might be helpful to avoid the weight loss.

J-Dawg
12-06-07, 10:26 am

Yeap, G's got it down here. Also, when you have a severe cold, use this as a time to rest and recover. What's the point of weight training if your body is trying to defeat the cold? (Not talking about other sports, that's a different topic) Basically when your body's defenses are fighing off the cold, it's not a time to grow so rest up...
I'd also add in echinacea tea to the mix. Only to be used when ya have a cold or feel one coming on.

Renji007
12-06-07, 10:39 am
Thanks guys. And Yaya I am eating more since I noticed my shirt is a little bit bigger at the moment >< I don't want to lose the weight so I'll just have to eat like shit (Not that I'm complaining about that) And thanks G. I'll try that stuff out right now. Wish me luck guys, I hope to be back and attacking that Iron by friday or saturday if possible.

Gainer65
12-06-07, 10:44 am

x3 And don't forget the chicken soup.

Elite
12-06-07, 10:49 am
I'd also add in echinacea tea to the mix. Only to be used when ya have a cold or feel one coming on.

Echinacea in capsule form, taken daily, supposedly works wonders for staving off colds and hayfever.

Since i never heeded that advice and my last PAK went last tuesday, ive had a cold. Then i got over that, went to work tuesday and now i have a stomach bug (tho that could be due to a dodgy lamb shish kebab).

I got over my cold in a couple days by resting, drinking loads, eating loads (as usual), and taking 1g Vit C every 4 hours.

This stomach bug is a different story.... :(

RogueLion
12-06-07, 12:55 pm
I have a cold too, and I think the most important thing is lotsa of rest. I lifted monday and took tuesday and wednesday off. I may lift tonight and friday, and definately SATURDAY.

Haha, my moms chicken soup would get you better, it does the trick nice and good. Fluid vitamin C. Whatever G said

Big Z
12-06-07, 2:11 pm
I was wondering how many of you guys continue training while you are sick. I know it obviously depends on the extent of how sick you are. I am currently congested and have a sore throat and i continue lifting but i find while doing sets my breathing is off and therefore my sets are off.. and naturally when your body is drained like that, your repping weight will be off too... do you guys think you should train through something like this or just stop and let your body heal so you can hit the weights again correctly faster? what does everyone do or think?

Torque757
12-06-07, 2:13 pm
I got a cold the other day and it's prevented me from running and weightlifting for a few days. I just got a new can of Pak and it's making me feel a little better but I need something to fix me up fast since I feel like utter SHIT when I can't lift or run.

Sleep. Whenever I feel a cold or anything coming on, I go about busness as usual and pucsh through it, then first chance I get I just sleep, sometimes 12 hrs strait, and then Im fine.

Pak, plenty of food and sleep. Dont miss a session.

RenegadeRows
12-06-07, 2:21 pm
dude personally I take a couple of days off, this lets me get well and also lets my body take a workout break, sometimes I go to the gym to do mild cardio, walk on an incline or something mild to loosen the crap up in my chest and let it come out sooner. But I wouldnt do anything hardcore while sick, thats just too much punishment on the body that I think might delay the get-well process.

That is my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Torque757
12-06-07, 2:53 pm

I read an article that said doing some from of cardio while sick, at least with a cold, is more beneficial then just resting.

TylerC
12-06-07, 4:24 pm
rest and eat just like it was said above and listen to G, he's pretty smart

Just a sidenote, one of my worst colds ever (bed ridden) was done away with when I finally got up the nerve and went to workout at my home gym. The next day i was completely better. I have no clue what happend but it worked like a charm.

A cold is a great time to get ur diet in check too.

Little Houghton
12-06-07, 5:44 pm
everythings been good thats said so far, but since im allergic to vitamin c (yea, it blows) i had to look for other ideas, i found out that zinc is basically the shit. my whole life ive been sick all winter every year, not this year, feel great. so id definitely give just cheap cvs or walgreens zinc tablets a try.

Testpolska
12-06-07, 6:21 pm
A cold is not enough to keep you out of the gym in my opinion. Nose stuffed up? Nasal Spray. Can't breathe? Hit an inhaler. You'll hold for an hour with these.

Cstlfx
12-06-07, 7:48 pm
Def. rest. Best for the body. I saved G's response for on my computer, so the next time I have a cold I'll be ready. Thats some damn solid advice.

Plus, you do not want to go to the gym, no one else needs or wants your cold. Take care.

eblnyc
12-06-07, 8:03 pm
everything G money said is right on target...i take echinacea on a regular basis and vitamin c as preventive cold measures...i havent had a cold or the flu in years thanks to these things...

Renji007
12-06-07, 9:13 pm
What I meant about the cold was that it made me feel like shit. If it was just a runny nose, or some headache. Anything like that you can bet I would still be pushing Iron. But I felt really bad before the Pak and G's advice kicked in so I didn't want to go and push it to where I miss MORE days of body brutalizing work outs. So I figure, Be safe and bulk for a day or two then get bigger when I go back and hit the weights twice as hard to make up for lost time :)

RenegadeRows
12-06-07, 9:14 pm
I agree with G (like this hasnt already been said)...
Anyway, I read on the news by some MD that taking massive doses of Vit. C and Zinc cna clear that shit off sooner than the average heal time-if you are already sick. If you are not, taking it is a good preventative measure was mentioned. If you take pak you are covered because it has massive doses of both already.

Tron
12-06-07, 9:34 pm
I agree with G (like this hasnt already been said)...

Hahaha, so true... but then again G doesn't really give bad info.... I agree with him, too.

Frosty
02-18-08, 11:02 pm
As of yesterday, it seems that I have either contracted the Flu, or some sort of terrible viral infection over night. Here are my symptoms; swollen lymph nodes, sore body, temperature, stomach ache, head ache, stuffy/runny nose, cough, and sore throat. I was just wondering what I should eat or how I should train while feeling this way. Thanks for any input people may have.

norrim1
02-18-08, 11:05 pm
As of yesterday, it seems that I have either contracted the Flu, or some sort of terrible viral infection over night. Here are my symptoms; swollen lymph nodes, sore body, temperature, stomach ache, head ache, stuffy/runny nose, cough, and sore throat. I was just wondering what I should eat or how I should train while feeling this way. Thanks for any input people may have.

Yeah...that'd be a question for a doctor bro. Go see yours ASAP. Hope you feel better!

Mizzarler
02-18-08, 11:52 pm
sounds like you have mononucleosis with the swollen lymph nodes. The same thing happened to me. Are you tired for no reason? If you had influenza you would have chills. Go to the doctor for a mono test. If positive it will go away in about 2-3 months. You can continue training like I did but you will lose weight and extreme loss of appetite/energy. Hope this helps. I know im kind of a nerd. lol

Phil800101
02-18-08, 11:55 pm
I just wanted to bump this thread up. There's alot of cold/flu going around right now, plus I figured doing so might prevent some redundant posts.

Frosty
02-18-08, 11:56 pm
I dont have the rash or abdomenal pain.... and i had chills all day... it seemed like i was freezing all day but had a temperature.

Mizzarler
02-19-08, 12:06 am
yea i didnt have a swollen spleen (ab pain) either. The thing is you wouldnt have swollen lymph nodes with a flu. Maybe you have the flu and mono. Mono weakens your immuune system so you could be really unlucky... i had mono strep and double ear infection. Drink lots of water and get a good nights sleep and see the doctor tommorrow for sure

Phil800101
02-19-08, 12:08 am
Yeah...that'd be a question for a doctor bro. Go see yours ASAP. Hope you feel better!

Seconded.

Mizzarler
02-19-08, 12:15 am
If i have thrown up and have a fever with some virus I will stay home 2-3 days or until im better. If its a cold or something i will still go but just go light and not til failure. just listen to your body

Enforcer
02-29-08, 10:52 am
I was wondering what everyone does when they get a cold. Lets get some different ideas from everyone on how they kick that shit out of their system in a hurry.

krazyassmexican
02-29-08, 10:53 am
I was wondering what everyone does when they get a cold. Lets get some different ideas from everyone on how they kick that shit out of their system in a hurry.

get a workout, like some cardio and drink some hot stuff before bed

theraflu (sp) and some advil is what i used to take the wrap myself like a taco and go to sleep, next day you wake up like a new man

Enforcer
02-29-08, 10:56 am
Me personally I'll work out to sweat that shit out, have 3 EmergenC's throughtout the day, then before bed 3 tylenol with 2 serving of Nyquil. Wake up the next day like a new man

rob_in_korea
02-29-08, 11:15 am
I have been known to take upwards of 10 grams or more of vitamin c, drink green and/or ginger tea and occasionaly I will take 2 animal paks instead of one.

Ricky P
02-29-08, 11:43 am
I try to get some extra vitamins in, drink as much water as humanly possible and also get as much sleep as I can. I'll get to sleep earlier than normal to get that extra rest in.

violator
03-01-08, 3:19 am
If its a severe cold, i stay away from lifting for 2-3days...drink upwards of 6 litres a day, & down echinacea extract like 6 times a day, coupled with a double dose of vitC......

simpleguy
03-01-08, 5:02 am
echinacea and extra vitamin C... works wonders

eblnyc
03-01-08, 6:19 am
a cold or the flu? shit i haven't been sick in years..vitamin c is a must and echinacea..new york is so polluted and dirty that i think i have become immune to sickness..

IronWilson
03-01-08, 7:01 am
chug cough medicine until I start hallucinating

Cstlfx
03-01-08, 10:22 am
Along with everything mentioned above, zinc tabs have also worked for me. Also, when you have a cold, carry around one of those Purell bottles. Keeping germs off of you will help lessen your cold time.

JMC
03-01-08, 11:07 am
Anybody ever use Olive Leaf Extract. I've read it works miracles for the immune system. I haven't tried it yet but will soon.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsWho/0,3923,552476%7COlive%20Leaf,00.html

Chin
03-01-08, 12:28 pm
I am not going to lie... ever since I start really training hard... I don't get sick lol... In the last 2 years I have been sick once and I had an aweful sinus infection...

Chin

prowrestler
03-01-08, 6:56 pm
dont let it get to you. i force my body to get better whether it likes it or not. i have done back day with a fever of 101. it was like hell on earth but i felt amazing afterwords compared to normal. training increases the white blood cells count and makes your body temps go higher and that helps kill the infection. also, it makes your blood travel alot more rapiddly so you can recieve nutrients and oxygen faster within the cells.

i eat lots of halls, oranges, tea, take medicine for whatever type of cold ya got, multi vitamin, water and all what you'd normally do.

try this, half a gallon of tea through out the day. its 8 cups of tea. plus another 10 cups of water.

bovat
03-02-08, 12:59 am
well for some reason i havent been sick at all this whole winter. I drink a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day, take animalpak, train regulary (what the hell spell ?), and it seems to do the trick. My mom and dad both got wicked sick, my mom was fuckin horrible, there both better now and i didnt get a cold at all. So maybe just doing the bodybuilding thing, lifting, eatign right, drinkign plenty of water, is the cure for the common cold.

RoJoHen
03-02-08, 4:33 am
I am not going to lie... ever since I start really training hard... I don't get sick lol... In the last 2 years I have been sick once and I had an aweful sinus infection...

Chin

I'm the same way. It's rare that I get sick anymore, but when I do it kicks my ass. Last year I had bad bronchitis that put me out of commission for a week.

Thetasteofink69
03-02-08, 5:50 pm
Zicam.. It's a miracle in a bottle

Brute
03-02-08, 6:12 pm

Sleep, sleep and more sleep.

angles_yazan
03-03-08, 4:09 am
what do you do when you are sick ?!!!!

Hercules
03-03-08, 4:56 am
Stomach bug? Cold? Flu? What are you sick with?

squattingtillipuke
03-03-08, 8:02 am
Stomach bug? Cold? Flu? What are you sick with?

Stomach/FLu - REST REST REST
If it is just the common cold - I work out through it...there are sometimes that I just can't do it but for the most part I try to push my way through it.

ashnicholls
03-03-08, 8:39 am
Take your vitamins and drink plenty if you can keep it down

Joff the Beast
03-21-08, 4:10 pm
I need to rant about my cold/flu:

Cant believe I caught another cold/flu and its now the 2nd day of spring. Anyways my main concern is about my training. I was supposed to train Chest/Legs but if I do that I'll be sick for a whole week.

Last time I did train (because I always want to train regardless of sickness) while I caught a big cold/flu I was so sick the following days I had to take 5 days off training.

Yuck, I must sacrifice tonight's to be better for tomorrow as Im going to my first bodybuilding show and take at look at the competitors as Im planning to compete un 2010.

My plan is :

-No training tonight (I learned it the hard way).
-Drink Water all day long.
-4000 mg of Vitamin C.
-Sleep 12 hours.
-Pak
-Eat as much I can (dont feel well enough to overfeed as usual thou)
-Take the remainder my Echinacea pills bottle.
-Take Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
-Probably something to make my sleep tonight.

What do you think about it ?

Meat
03-21-08, 10:07 pm
coldeeze man...its the shit...plus all the shit G said....stay up

Carpe Diem P.T
03-21-08, 10:11 pm
sit atop my colloseum and we will talk flu remedies!

quick fix is a nice steaming to the face. it melts everything in the face pretty much and a lot of the baddies can drip out of your skin and nose.

Phil800101
03-21-08, 11:00 pm
I need to rant about my cold/flu:

Cant believe I caught another cold/flu and its now the 2nd day of spring. Anyways my main concern is about my training. I was supposed to train Chest/Legs but if I do that I'll be sick for a whole week.

Last time I did train (because I always want to train regardless of sickness) while I caught a big cold/flu I was so sick the following days I had to take 5 days off training.

Yuck, I must sacrifice tonight's to be better for tomorrow as Im going to my first bodybuilding show and take at look at the competitors as Im planning to compete un 2010.

My plan is :

-No training tonight (I learned it the hard way).
-Drink Water all day long.
-4000 mg of Vitamin C.
-Sleep 12 hours.
-Pak
-Eat as much I can (dont feel well enough to overfeed as usual thou)
-Take the remainder my Echinacea pills bottle.
-Take Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
-Probably something to make my sleep tonight.

What do you think about it ?

That sounds like a plan. Main thing is to eat, rest, and take in fluids. Looks like you've got it all covered there.

newbreed
03-22-08, 9:39 am

Yeah G pretty much sums it up. GENIUS!

Joff the Beast
03-22-08, 5:04 pm
So I stayed in bed for about 18 hours in a row. Drank a lot of fluid and ate as much as I could. I lost about 4 pounds in the process but I think it was mostly water as my muscles remain the same as the were 3 days ago.

Anyways Im gonna start back 2morrow and beat the fuck out of the Iron.

Lift on brothers.

Joff

mustgetbig
03-23-08, 9:40 am
So I stayed in bed for about 18 hours in a row. Drank a lot of fluid and ate as much as I could. I lost about 4 pounds in the process but I think it was mostly water as my muscles remain the same as the were 3 days ago.

Anyways Im gonna start back 2morrow and beat the fuck out of the Iron.

Lift on brothers.

Joff

hope ya stay feelin good bro

silence
04-07-08, 11:30 am
friday i got a cold that wont let me get some zzzzz...... well i am sick and i feel like crap and yesterday my wife called her mom and told her that i was sick, well i ended up drinking a garlic/oregano tea! that mother fucker taste ugly but got ready of my throat sore, all i got this morning is a runny nose

pmug0000
04-07-08, 11:32 am
friday i got a cold that wont let me get some zzzzz...... well i am sick and i feel like crap and yesterday my wife called her mom and told her that i was sick, well i ended up drinking a garlic/oregano tea! that mother fucker taste ugly but got ready of my throat sore, all i got this morning is a runny nose

If I was in your shoes I would train. As long as I am physically capable of lifting I am in the gym.

Plus, I'm sure drinking that garlic+oregano tea was a hell of a lot harder than lifting with a runny nose.

DreamZero
04-07-08, 1:26 pm
On a 10 scale, how bad do you feel?

10 means you're typing from the hospital and 4 doctors are trying to figure what freaking exotic sickness struck you

0 means you eat lightning and crap thunder

0-2, go move that shit

3-5, go over there, warm up a bit, and kill those sets..

6-8, go over there, do a warm-up and see how you feel.. if it's too bad, go home.. if not, move that shit

9-10, sleep..

Enforcer
04-07-08, 1:27 pm

Bro we need to work on ur spelling

BamBam
04-07-08, 1:41 pm
Bro we need to work on ur spelling

HAHAHA....

I would go train though...to stay on topic...if you got a runny nose, use a sleeve and move that shit!!!

Enforcer
04-07-08, 1:42 pm
HAHAHA....

I would go train though...to stay on topic...if you got a runny nose, use a sleeve and move that shit!!!

+1. Got to sweat out the bad. If you get worse then stop, but 4 just a runny nose work thru it.

wedge
04-07-08, 4:51 pm
+1. Got to sweat out the bad. If you get worse then stop, but 4 just a runny nose work thru it.

Personally, I would work through it and move weight. I've actually had a few times we're I hadn't felt quite right, went to the gym, did my workout and felt better for it. Perhaps, as Enforcer said, I sweat it out.

silence
04-08-08, 12:53 pm
yeah, you guys were right !!! thanks , i went to the gym and i did one and half hour of cardio and i really feel better now!!! thanks!!!

bigla2004
04-08-08, 2:46 pm
an hour and a half of cardio.. that is like torture to even think about

Pizzalamp
04-08-08, 2:49 pm
yeah, you guys were right !!! thanks , i went to the gym and i did one and half hour of cardio and i really feel better now!!! thanks!!!

wow...thats a lot

LegendKillerJosh
04-08-08, 8:36 pm
I think training with a cold is a terrible idea. You will compromise your training and your recovery from the cold, both of which are counterproductive to your goals.

Brick By Brick
04-08-08, 11:32 pm
I've had a horrible case of the flu for the past 4 days, and have been way too tired to train. I'm sticking to my diet and supps, but can't do anything after work except eat and go to bed. I hope to make up some ground tomorrow on my first day off. Maybe some light cardio.

simpleguy
04-09-08, 12:44 am
I've had a horrible case of the flu for the past 4 days, and have been way too tired to train. I'm sticking to my diet and supps, but can't do anything after work except eat and go to bed. I hope to make up some ground tomorrow on my first day off. Maybe some light cardio.

I hear you, I'm in the same boat...

Phil800101
04-09-08, 3:30 am
I think training with a cold is a terrible idea. You will compromise your training and your recovery from the cold, both of which are counterproductive to your goals.

As a general rule, I'm against training sick, and advocate solid rest, food, fluids, supps, etc to get over the sickness. Like you said, training is hard on your body, which is already taxed by the sickness, so training can easily make it worse. On the other hand, some people seem to feel better after training, and given the endorphins and what not you get from it, than the training could help. In any case, I think it all depends on the severity of your sickness as to whether you should train or not. Everyone needs to use their best judgement when it comes to this. Me, I base the decision on how tired I am when I'm not feeling well. If I'm sick, and I feel worn down and exhausted, then I don't train. But, if I feel okay energy-wise, and I'm just stuffed up or congested or whatever, than I usually do train.

MANABOLIC
04-09-08, 3:40 am
dude, the word "sick" differs from one guy to the other. Unless I have a fever and high temperature, I will go to the gym to train. If I am feverish, I take my anitibiotics like a good boy and stay at home for 2 days till I feel better. Nothing macho about training when your body needs to rest.

fireman9
04-09-08, 3:41 am

Personally I will lay off the gym entirely until I feel better. Your immune system is already shot and working out will do further harm. Plus the idea of doing a half ass workout in my eyes is worse then postponing it. However as long as my water intake is a gallon plus. I am sleeping 8+ hours, and I am not depleting my body of nutrients I don't get sick. Don't kick you own ass about missing. 2 times a year I try to skip a whole week of training. Sounds odd to most but I bust through a few plateaus this way. Plus it gives you time to reevaluate your training and diet and make necessary changes. Just take the extra time you would spend in the gym in bed. It will do far more good. But that is my own opinion.

born0withno0soul
04-09-08, 3:43 am
Personally I will lay off the gym entirely until I feel better. You immune system is already shot and working out will do further harm. Plus the idea of doing a half ass workout in my eyes is worse then postponing it. However as long as my water intake is a gallon plus. I am sleeping 8+ hours, and I am not depleting my body of nutrients I don't get sick. Just take the extra time you would spend in the gym in bed. It will do far more good.

sums it up. good post

simpleguy
06-02-08, 5:12 pm
it depends a lot (for me) of whether I'm cutting or bulking... ok, first of all, if I'm really sick I don't work out ... but if I'm just feeling a bit under the weather, I might take a day off when bulking... when cutting, I try not to miss workouts or cardio unless for really good reasons

Maccabee
06-02-08, 5:13 pm
From personal experience if I felt seriously sick I just took it as an opportunity to rest and recuperate.

However, if I felt a little sick then I just went in and did higher reps then usual and more machine work.

Then again I don't know how sick you are lol. Basically, if I didn't have a fever then I would be in the gym training. Peace

simpleguy
06-02-08, 5:14 pm
oh yeah, here's the faq about this: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=411781#post411781

jayanticoli
09-09-08, 7:26 am
sucks..i have a lump in the back of my throat and i feel like ass.....skip training until it starts to go away??? do i keep my shakes in my diet too?

Hercules
09-09-08, 7:41 am
If you have a fever, don't lift heavy. No fever: train hard. Performing some sort of physical activity usually makes people feel better. Just don't cough and sneeze all over the equipment. Carry some hand sanitizer with you and be mindful of the health of other gym members.

And yes, eat like you would any other day; your immune system needs it.

wedge
09-09-08, 11:40 am
The only thing I can add to Hercules' post is to make sure you keep hydrated. Drink more water/Gatorade/Pedialyte if possible.

jambarino
09-09-08, 11:52 am
hercules pretty much covered this one.i had a cold two weeks ago and still trained.just drink and eat alot and you'll be ok.it made me feel better to sweat and work out.

panzerwagen
09-09-08, 12:39 pm
sucks..i have a lump in the back of my throat and i feel like ass.....skip training until it starts to go away??? do i keep my shakes in my diet too?

I never train if I have a fever or a sore throat. And if you 'feel like ass' due to this, I would suggest you give this possible illness time to do what it wants, and get back to the gym when you've stopped feeling like that ass. Nevertheless, I'm no physician. I only trust instinct, listening to my body as best as I can. You have to figure out what works for you and what not.

Good luck

DA GOVNA
12-12-09, 10:06 am
Hey guys, I cant tell you how many times I have thought this or had friends ask me this so I did some research. I looked online, asked some trainers and then when I was sick I tested the theories. Anything above the neck and you can work out(head cold, sinus' cough...) things like stomach flu, the shits, and bad illnesses like the flu you should not. I have bad allergies and especially being in Texas they can really act up. Before I went to the gym I took some vitamin-C and had a cup of green tea 45 mins before I took my Pre-workout drink. I went to the gym, sat in the Sauna for about 10 minutes then went and did my work out starting out light to be cautions but I ended up having a great work out. I posted the work out I did on my Journey (below) It was legs, 11 DEC 2009. Hope this helps if your sick!

R-Man
12-12-09, 2:40 pm
Personally i dont workout if im sick. Its not that i dont want to, my body doesnt respond well from it & i would get worse. It sucks.

brickhead
12-12-09, 2:51 pm
I cant workout when I'm sick, feel sluggish and get tired faster so I do everything possible to not get sick. IF it's a little sick, like runny nose or a little cough then I'll deal with it but if it's heavier issue then I'll stay away from the gym. Dont want to go spread the virus to everyone else in the gym too.

PureRawPower
12-12-09, 8:28 pm
It depends on how "sick" you feel. If you are under the weather truly it is best to get rest and fluids so you can get back to training after you are well. If it's minor grab your gym bag and get training!

Cstlfx
12-13-09, 1:23 am
I hear ya man, my allergies suck the big one as well. A trick that was brought to my attention, that I now use religiously, is a neti pot/saline nasal wash. If you allergies start acting up, try that before going to the gym. Sucks the first time you use it, but after that its much more comfortable.

The sauna is great too, helps get things the hell out of there, and warms up the muscles.

kauaiboy25
12-13-09, 5:01 am
depends on how "sick" i am.......but usually its nothing serious that could be bad news if it spread.....i train through it...i get tired faster and find myself drinking more water..also i take a little longer to recover, but its ok with me....also another thing i do is consume MORE PROTEIN than usual....i guess it deoends on your "sickness" and your mental will to push 120% through sets...just my $0.02

DA GOVNA
12-13-09, 10:36 am
I hear ya man, my allergies suck the big one as well. A trick that was brought to my attention, that I now use religiously, is a neti pot/saline nasal wash. If you allergies start acting up, try that before going to the gym. Sucks the first time you use it, but after that its much more comfortable.

The sauna is great too, helps get things the hell out of there, and warms up the muscles.

Yeah the saline solution in the nasal "bulb" shaped thing sucks but it works! Totally agree with you

DA GOVNA
12-13-09, 10:39 am
Personally i dont workout if im sick. Its not that i dont want to, my body doesnt respond well from it & i would get worse. It sucks.

well this is to you and Brick head as well. Im glad oyu guys know your body well enough to know not to train when your sick but sometimes I just HAVE to go to the gym. After a full days worth of eating right and looking forward to putting my headphone on and "getting in the ZONE" I just have to go. So If you ever get like that then try some of these pre work out sick remedies you might surprise yourself.

-DA GOV

smith06
12-13-09, 11:21 am
I've always felt like i NEEDED to go. I felt like I would lose my routine by missing a couple days.

My workouts might be half assed...I might have been embarassed.. But I went to the gym and that was half the battle.

mritter3
12-13-09, 2:35 pm
when your sick, your body is run down and needs the extra rest...working out will only extend the period of time that you are sick...take a break and give the body what it needs...fluids and rest.

DA GOVNA
12-13-09, 2:38 pm
when your sick, your body is run down and needs the extra rest...working out will only extend the period of time that you are sick...take a break and give the body what it needs...fluids and rest.

Good advice, when in doubt sit out but some people can push through. I did and I am better already.

-DA GOV

DA GOVNA
12-13-09, 2:40 pm
I've always felt like i NEEDED to go. I felt like I would lose my routine by missing a couple days.

My workouts might be half assed...I might have been embarassed.. But I went to the gym and that was half the battle.

Way to push through man, going to the gym is the big battle for most people.

Mulhollen1
12-13-09, 3:09 pm
i dunno,i have allergies,i get shots an they help my immune system great,i used to get sick alot,i hate takin days off from the gym,espiecally bein sick!! When i get a cold i work extra hard in the gym an it feels like it helps ya sweat it out...Balls to the wall man!!!!!

dyskee
12-13-09, 4:29 pm
No rest

theharjmann
12-13-09, 5:27 pm
"SHOULD I TRAIN WHILE SICK?"

no
no

and

no

GJN5002
12-14-09, 1:33 pm
stop going to the gym when you are sick and spreading your germs to everyone else!

Plus you get sick for a reason and your immune system can only do 1 thing efficiently at a time, repair muscle damage or fight off a cold. Take a few days off and recover. Two days of missed training aint gonna ruin you.

JUGGERNAUT
12-14-09, 1:37 pm
stop going to the gym when you are sick and spreading your germs to everyone else!

Plus you get sick for a reason and your immune system can only do 1 thing efficiently at a time, repair muscle damage or fight off a cold. Take a few days off and recover. Two days of missed training aint gonna ruin you.

x2

Appollonian
12-14-09, 1:39 pm

Solid advice. Last time I trained when I was sick it was with a huge sinus infection (not infectious, but taxing) I set myself back quite a bit. Take the time off, eat and rest. You'll come back stronger instead of coming back weaker.