PDA

View Full Version : Tales From My Crypt...

Pages : [1] 2

Mr. Dead
12-18-08, 4:14 pm
I've held off on doing this, for a while... Why...? Perhaps, insecurities... Indifference... Too busy... *L* But, this also gives me a venue for my own introspection, and my give others, and especially myself a glimpse into my mind and what makes it tick or clunk...

I guess I should start with my screen name... Why Mr. Dead...? Why not...? But here goes... In my line of work (nurse) there's the unpleasantness of dealing with the deceased... Most people I work with and have worked with are a bit squeamish when it comes to that... And, part of that is making sure that the body is clean and presentable (Either for the family to come say goodbye, before they're taken to the morgue, or for the mortician to pick up...) I feel that even though there is only the lifeless husk that remains, it still should be treated with the respect and dignity it had in life... So... When it came time to deal with this issue... Many people grabbed me to take care of it... There was a Charge Nurse that remembered a line from Mel Gibson's Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, "I'm the one that keeps Mr. Dead in his pocket..." And, she started calling me Mr. Dead... (She also remembered my fondness for horror movies... *L*) The name stuck, and there it is...

A bit about my past... (For anybody that cares...) I was born in Wichita, Kansas... Parents split when I was 5... I lived with my Dad, and my mother had me for visits on occasion... Went to Catholic school from grade school to high school graduation... Yes, I was an altar boy, and no, I wasn't touched by the priests... *L* I played the usual sports... I wrestled, played football, basketball, baseball... Joined the Army 3 days after graduating high school... I got out after 5 years, as I was not adapting to the new "Kinder/Gentler" Army... But during high school and my time in the service, was when I found a passion... The iron... It always called to me... And, this was during the '80s and the heyday of the action flicks that had muscles everywhere... I watched the A-Team and the Incredible Hulk on TV... (Yes, I have a huge selection of comic books... *L*) But the iron was always there... After I got out of the service, I learned quickly and harshly, that I had no skills of living in the outside world... Either my parents or the Army always made sure I had food and a roof over my head... I'd always had a job, since the age of 13... That wasn't the problem... The problem was these things called bills... And I would rather spend my money on booze and fun... Within 2 years I was homeless... Living under an abandoned semi-trailer... I'd been evicted from my apartment... I was dating the woman that became my wife, over time... And, I moved heaven and earth to keep her from finding out... My pride got in the way of getting back on my feet sooner... But she did indeed find out... After learning this harsh lesson, I decided it was time to get my act together... Within 2 years of that, I was married to dd2inxs (Best life choice I ever made...) owned a double-wide, and got a gym membership... But the booze was still there... We eventually got the chance to buy our "dream home", (where we currently reside...) And I started getting my head completely straight... I found a site called bodybuilding.com... Through that site I met a great group of people that led me here to the FORVM... From here, I finally found my passion, again... I feel like I've truly found a home, and a family...

Hoomgar
12-18-08, 4:33 pm
Of course ;)

About time you fired one of these up d-man...

Hg

Firedrake
12-18-08, 4:36 pm
That's quite a tale. Congratulations on get yourself straightened out and on track. That's not a trick that everyone manages, and you should be proud of it. Congrats on the dream home. That's something my ex-wife got . . . [sigh]

Your vocation, nurse, is a profession that's noble beyond the telling -- I've known my share of them over the years and surgeries, and unfortunately the paycheck-rats outnumber the caring nurses in most hospitals. In a clinical situation, there've been many times I'd rather see the Nurse Practitioner than the doctor -- they're almost always more responsive and listen to the patient better.

I have to wonder, though, what it's like getting scrubs in your size. <grin>

Mr. Dead
12-18-08, 4:49 pm
Of course ;)

About time you fired one of these up d-man...

Hg

Wasn't sure if I wanted to take that close of a look at myself... The good and the bad...

Mr. Dead
12-18-08, 4:52 pm
That's quite a tale. Congratulations on get yourself straightened out and on track. That's not a trick that everyone manages, and you should be proud of it. Congrats on the dream home. That's something my ex-wife got . . . [sigh]

Your vocation, nurse, is a profession that's noble beyond the telling -- I've known my share of them over the years and surgeries, and unfortunately the paycheck-rats outnumber the caring nurses in most hospitals. In a clinical situation, there've been many times I'd rather see the Nurse Practitioner than the doctor -- they're almost always more responsive and listen to the patient better.

I have to wonder, though, what it's like getting scrubs in your size. <grin>

There's quite a bit more to it, but I stuck with the Cliff Notes... I look at things from this perspective, as far as my job goes... How would I want myself or my family treated...? And, without patients... I don't have a job... And, as far as the scrubs... I can rip the sleeves off an XXL top, by putting my arms out in front of me... *L* My mother-in-law makes my tops, now...

Hoomgar
12-18-08, 4:54 pm
Good on ya for finding your path bro. Just got to read that now. It takes a man of action and purpose to turn things around and make them happen.

Mr. Dead
12-18-08, 4:58 pm
Good on ya for finding your path bro. Just got to read that now. It take a man of action and purpose to turn things around and make them happen.

Just looked in the mirror, and despised what I saw... Before I got back into it, I let my self sink pretty low... Physically, mentally, and spiritually...

LittleMan55
12-18-08, 5:03 pm
Now I know why it's Mr. Dead...

Good start to one of these.

Aggression
12-18-08, 5:06 pm
Damn, way to come back from all that. Very admirable.

Mr. Dead
12-18-08, 5:10 pm
Now I know why it's Mr. Dead...

Good start to one of these.

Thanks... Just mostly jumbled history and random thoughts...

Damn, way to come back from all that. Very admirable.

Thanks... It was sink or swim... And I've got too much to do, yet...

B Con
12-19-08, 12:25 am
Down for the ride...

firsthorseman97
12-19-08, 6:50 am
Consider me subbed. After reading that one word sticks out in my head... OVERCOME.

Mr. Dead
12-19-08, 12:24 pm
Down for the ride...

Consider me subbed. After reading that one word sticks out in my head... OVERCOME.

Thanks, fellas... A lot happens to us in life... I feel that it's what we do or don't do about it, that defines us...

Hollow
12-19-08, 12:39 pm
Thanks for sharing part of your life Mr. Dead!

I'm subbed in.

Mr. Dead
12-19-08, 12:52 pm
Thanks for sharing part of your life Mr. Dead!

I'm subbed in.

Thank you, for taking the time to check it out...

Themostocles
12-19-08, 12:57 pm
I ain't much for words, but definitely here to listen(read). -T.

Mr. Dead
12-19-08, 1:20 pm
We all do it... In the gym, at our jobs, home, and our relationships... But... I prefer to think of it as effort... It doesn't have that bitter taste when it rolls off the tongue... In the gym, it's effort and passion... (I guess the same could be said of certain relationships, too... *L*) I started "work" at an early age... By the time I was 8, I had started mowing the lawn... Neighbors noticed, and began paying me to mow theirs... By the time I was 12, I had a 2 block radius... This allowed me to buy my first video gaming system... The second generation of Atari... At 13, I had my first job that involved a W-2... I was a dishwasher at Angelo's Italian restaurant... One of the perks was a free meal each shift... I almost single-handedly ended that benefit... *L* One day Mr. Angelo came in, and saw me eating my meal... I had a steaming plate of Mostaccioli and meatballs, a dish of rigatoni, a small pizza and a 2 foot long steak sub... (I ate it all... *L*) I still remember him and his beet red face screaming at me... "God damn you... What's a matta wit chu...? Eating all my profits!!! You should drink milk, instead!!!" Being the smart-ass that I am, I raised my glass of milk...

After 2 years of working there, I got another job... Working at Tom and Sonny's... Tommy De Nunzio and Walter "Sonny" O'Brennan were 2 guys that new business... The "Family" business... *L* I had gotten the job because my step-mother had went to school with Tommy... They paid well... Now, during this time, I had gotten a plastic and cement barbell set and a bench... I was going to be HUUGE like the heroes I had at the time... (Arnold, Louie, and even Sly...) But at Tom and Sonny's... There was a gym next door... I had someone co-sign for me, and I got my first taste of being able to lift more than 110 lbs... At this time, also I was hitting the weights at the High School gym, but only during football and wrestling season..

At 16, I got a job that at 16, I had only dreamed about... My step-mom talked to Tommy, and I was moved over to valet parking... Wages, plus tips!!! I got to uhm... "Test drive" all of the latest sports cars... I met some high profile people... The best tip I ever had gotten was a Jack Daniels bottle, autographed by the group Ratt... (It was the '80s okay...) That and there was a $100 tip from some guy driving a Bentley that was trying to impress a girl that was half his age... *L* I held this job, until I graduated high school... Then came the Army...

Mr. Dead
12-19-08, 1:29 pm
I wrote that work segment to show myself, that the "work" ethic and the iron have always been there for me, even in my youth... During those jobs I never called in sick... Not even once... And I always got my workouts in, and still went to school... (I had to pay my own tuition for the private Catholic high school I went to...)

Hollow
12-19-08, 1:41 pm
Just from the short time I’ve come to know you Mr. Dead and seeing the work ethic you put into your workouts I am not surprised to see it was merely carried over from your everyday work ethic.

firsthorseman97
12-19-08, 1:49 pm
Can't wait to read about your experience with the Army. Keep 'em coming.

So instead of saying 'do work' we should say 'do effort'? LOL!

Mr. Dead
12-19-08, 2:09 pm
I ain't much for words, but definitely here to listen(read). -T.

Great to have ya!!!

Just from the short time I’ve come to know you Mr. Dead and seeing the work ethic you put into your workouts I am not surprised to see it was merely carried over from your everyday work ethic.

Thank you... My father had a LOT to do with that, both physically and mentally... *L* I just wish it hadn't been so physical, when I was little... My backside still stings, thinking about my early molding...

Can't wait to read about your experience with the Army. Keep 'em coming.

So instead of saying 'do work' we should say 'do effort'? LOL!

The Army was a very wild time, and also the site of the beginning of my low time in my life... *L* And, "Do Effort, FTW!!!"

Firedrake
12-19-08, 3:48 pm
Great to have ya!!!

Thank you... My father had a LOT to do with that, both physically and mentally... *L* I just wish it hadn't been so physical, when I was little... My backside still stings, thinking about my early molding...

The Army was a very wild time, and also the site of the beginning of my low time in my life... *L* And, "Do Effort, FTW!!!"

Y'know, maybe I should start one of these biographical/philosophical threads, rather than chiming in on others . . . but I sympathize. I remember willow switches and belts all too well.

I also manage to have a Drill Sergeant lead me into falling into a ditch and breaking both my tibia during my third week of Basic . . .

Mr. Dead
12-22-08, 1:21 pm
Y'know, maybe I should start one of these biographical/philosophical threads, rather than chiming in on others . . . but I sympathize. I remember willow switches and belts all too well.

I also manage to have a Drill Sergeant lead me into falling into a ditch and breaking both my tibia during my third week of Basic . . .

It's good therapy, and gives you a chance to see where you came from, and how far you've come... And, yeah, I had an instructor lead us on a night patrol into coils of consatina and barbed wire...

Alta0331
12-24-08, 5:42 pm
It's good therapy, and gives you a chance to see where you came from, and how far you've come... And, yeah, I had an instructor lead us on a night patrol into coils of consatina and barbed wire...

That sucks, had something similar happen to me couple years ago. I was stationed in Silverdale up until last year. Too bad I didn't know about the Seattle ABC chapter until now

Mr. Dead
12-28-08, 3:11 am
Shit happens... Life happens... Still, it doesn't change the fact... Injuries happen... Hell, we try like heck to avoid them... And, when we're young bucks... They'll never happen to us, right...? Well... Get over your invincibility, and grab a stool... Shit happens... And that's the bottom line, because life said so...

If I had a dime for every injury I ever had, I'd be busy counting dimes... Shit happens, brothers... By our own hand, by others, by fate, whatever... Shit happens... What are you going to do about it...? That's the real question...

Hell, I've been stabbed, wrapped in barbed wire, had part of my hand hanging off, been shot at, been hit with a dogdeball (Broke a thumb on that one, at age 9... *L*) I mean hell... Yeah, it's a freakin' setback.. But... What the heck are you going to do about it...?

Case in point... For those that don't know me... I play guitar and bass... Oh, and I'm a competitive bodybuilder... (Y'all can laugh at that last part... *L*) I was wrestling with a "buddy" of mine, and we were wearing socks, instead of shoes on a tile floor. (A highly shined millitary barracks floor, I might add...) I lost my footing, and when ya fall, you'll grab anything on your way down... I grabbed a plate glass fish tank... Now, we were all medics... trained in the art of war... I saw my pieces of hand hanging by bits of thread, and freaked the fuck out... As I've said... I've been stabbed, I've been in combat... I've been in some pretty good scraps... I screamed like a little girl, seeing part of my left hand (Yes I'm lefthanded...) Hanging by a thread... To top it all off, I was assigned to the Emergency Room, at the time...

We walked to the Emergency Room (It was a hell of a lot faster than waiting for them...) And, I said "I think I'm emergency..." (They thought I was kidding, of course...) But when I showed them my hands, and the blood that was running like a river... Next thing I knew my ass was on a tabel.... (Things from there got real fuzzy... But I had friends that told me the rest.... *LOL, I guess...*) Evidently I "Flat-Lined"... Died, I guess, and they were freakin' out... Not only had I died, but... Damn it... I was supposed to be on duty next week... So... One of the worst pains I have ever felt, conscious, or unconscious... Happened... The "Paddles..." Those idiots shocked me back, and then, after 2 hours of observation... Let me walk back to the barracks... (Believe it or not, I followed my own bloody footpritns back... I'll swear to God on that one...) So... The next evening... (That's when I woke up...) I wanted to see my guitar... GUESS WHAT I DID...?!!! Yes... I played my ass off, because that's what I wanted to do... (But, that's when I realized... I had very little use of my left hand...) I still have limited use of my left hand... But, that's not my problem...

firsthorseman97
12-29-08, 6:39 am
Wow MD, thanks for the insight. It sounds like you've had an eventful life. Can't wait to read more, the good and the bad.

Mr. Dead
12-29-08, 10:41 am
Wow MD, thanks for the insight. It sounds like you've had an eventful life. Can't wait to read more, the good and the bad.

That particular injury has caused me to get a little creative with my lifts... I now use the standing calf machine for shrugs, since my grip can't handle the weight I need to hit those...

Themostocles
12-29-08, 4:56 pm
My two injuries don't really cause me any problems like that would. My knee aches with pressure changes(dislocated patella and removal of damage to patellar tendon) and a chainsaw to the head(don't ask lol). The fact that you have adapted and overcame shows some serious dedication and mental strength. -T.

Firedrake
12-29-08, 5:00 pm
That particular injury has caused me to get a little creative with my lifts... I now use the standing calf machine for shrugs, since my grip can't handle the weight I need to hit those...

I sympathize -- the surgeon who repaired my left bicep 7 years ago "nicked" the Posterior Interosseus Nerve on the way in -- I couldn't open my left hand for six months. I still don't have quite full supination, which is why I switched to BB Curls today, to try and force the inner bicep to respond.

Yeah, you've been through the mill -- having survived it, thus far, though, you're stronger for it.

Mr. Dead
12-29-08, 5:51 pm
My two injuries don't really cause me any problems like that would. My knee aches with pressure changes(dislocated patella and removal of damage to patellar tendon) and a chainsaw to the head(don't ask lol). The fact that you have adapted and overcame shows some serious dedication and mental strength. -T.

Thanks... The chainsaw to the head sounds like something that would have happened to me... *L*

I sympathize -- the surgeon who repaired my left bicep 7 years ago "nicked" the Posterior Interosseus Nerve on the way in -- I couldn't open my left hand for six months. I still don't have quite full supination, which is why I switched to BB Curls today, to try and force the inner bicep to respond.

Yeah, you've been through the mill -- having survived it, thus far, though, you're stronger for it.

Thanks... It's amazing how one small little screw up on their part can make for a lifetime of "inconvenience"...

NPRamirez
12-29-08, 6:01 pm
This is hard stuff, bro. Hits me where it matters. Keep it flowin' out and consider me sub'd.

Themostocles
12-29-08, 6:31 pm
Thanks... The chainsaw to the head sounds like something that would have happened to me... *L*

I think you have had your fill of bad luck, let someone else have some horror movie injuries lol. -T.

Mr. Dead
12-30-08, 11:13 am
This is hard stuff, bro. Hits me where it matters. Keep it flowin' out and consider me sub'd.

Thanks!!! Just a bit of introspection, and a hope that others can learn from both the good and the bad...

I think you have had your fill of bad luck, let someone else have some horror movie injuries lol. -T.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all... *L* But, there are PLENTY of good things that happened, and will pop up in here...

Mr. Dead
01-01-09, 7:40 pm
I have to say that 2008 has been a very good year... Without a doubt... Sure there were ups and downs, but it's been great... In January, I got chosen over at bb.com to run a log on Test and EAA Stack... Two very outstanding products... So, I started trying more products, and became more active over here at the FORVM...

The Emerald Cup was just around the corner, and I had the great honor of becoming the ABC Coordinator for Seattle... Our first ABC was centered around the Emerald Cup, and was hosted by Rage...

Let me talk bout Rage, for just a moment... Now, what I'm about to say may seem like I'm powdering his nuts, but it's actually very genuine... I first met him at the expo for the Emerald Cup... And, then we did the ABC, but at the dinner afterwards, I got to talk to him more, and got to know a bit more about him... He is one of the most genuine, honest and down to earth people I've ver met... He has a passion for the iron, a ton of knowledge, and a heart the size of Texas... I feel very fortunate to have met him...

There are many on here, that it has been my privilege to converse with online here... Hg (my homie...), NG, U-Rep, A-Rep, Hollow1, Toni69, Hola Bola, B Con, Littleman55, LETHAL, SPR, countmike, J-Dawg, scals17, Ragnar13, firsthorseman97, jonisocool, Temper, Lunatic, GoldieLocks, atrain11b, firedrake, Vinny, BigAnt, Juggernaut, Big Wides, SGT Rock, G Diesel, Machine, Schack, Sugarbutt, Enforcer, Aggression, countrymike, Giant Killer, Themostacles, Ox, The House, The Freak, Alta0331, NPRamirez, and even dd2inxs (my wife... *L*)

I competed in another show in August, and despite my placing, I still feel I was better for doing it... And, the biggest thrill came, when I was selected to be a rep for Universal, over at bb.com... A true highlight, for me...

There were some lows... Injuries, self doubts, my placing at the show... But, I choose to dwell on these good things and people that I have mentioned, as that is what counts the most...

So... Here's to 2008... Can 2009 be even better...? Yep!!!

Mr. Dead
01-01-09, 8:02 pm
And, I've just been reminded that I forgot to mention one HUUGE thing from 2008... The addition of Igor and Mozart, to our family... My cardio companions, for without them, there would be no "Puppy Power Walks"... They've definitely been awesome!!!

Themostocles
01-01-09, 8:55 pm
What kind of dogs? I got a newfoundland/blue heeler mix that looks like marmaduke. When people ask what he is, I tell them he is a west highland doggiesaurus lol. I am very honored to be mentioned in that list of people. I know I am rather new to your world, but I plan on sticking around. And what-ever your placing at the show, you ponied up and did what most people will never do. I plan on doing a meet in April, I know I will place low, but the experience is needed to learn where our weaknesses are. I am sure the next show you do will have much better results. Here is to your next year, your best year yet *raises his protein drink*! -T.

Mr. Dead
01-01-09, 9:21 pm
Igor is a Black Lab, and pulls like a mule... Mozart is a Rottweiller, he's a monster... At 11 months, he weighs almost 105, and his front paws are as big as my fist... I think 2009 will be an excellent year for us, both, and I'm pretty sure you'll place higher than you think... But to get to where we want to be, we have to take the bad and the good experiences... *Raises his protein shake..* To an incredible 2009!!!

Themostocles
01-01-09, 9:52 pm
Sounds like some fun puppies lol. I love me some big dogs. -T.

Mr. Dead
01-01-09, 9:54 pm
Gotta have the big dogs!!! My in-laws always get little ankle-biters, since we got the boys, they don't bring their dogs anymore... *L*

Themostocles
01-01-09, 9:55 pm
Gotta have the big dogs!!! My in-laws always get little ankle-biters, since we got the boys, they don't bring their dogs anymore... *L*

Isn't that a shame lol. I got no respect for the rat dogs, yipping and peeing everywhere. -T.

Mr. Dead
01-01-09, 10:07 pm
After our yellow lab passed on, they had us dogsit their pomeranian... Any time I got near it it peed itself... Nope, gotta go with the big boys... They've got a far better mindset, and if they bark, you know what it is, they're barking at...

Mr. Dead
01-12-09, 6:26 pm
Normally I'm not big on the rant thing, but I gotta get this off my chest... After getting hosed by my gym, yesterday... I will never darken the doors of that particular chain ever again... I renewed my membership in March, but was told yesterday, that my year was up, and I was past due... I told them we paid for a year in March... They looked in their computer, and verified that was true... But... The price that we paid was only from December to December, not March to March, so our year ended in December... So, I paid for a year, and got 9 months... So, from here on out, I'm training strictly on base...

I won't sully this great FORVM by mentioning the franchise, but if anyone asks, I'll PM the name to them...

Sorry, had to get that off my chest...

Themostocles
01-13-09, 1:21 am
I had a local gym try to pull some shit like that. Still fighting them about it, and I don't have a base to lift at. -T.

Hoomgar
01-13-09, 9:25 am
Sometimes I don't think they realize the value of a paying client/customer and miss the fact that if we leave, they lose money. It's not worth it for that few extra dollars they try to sweat ya for.

Glad you have the base Mr Dead!

Mr. Dead
01-13-09, 12:15 pm
I had a local gym try to pull some shit like that. Still fighting them about it, and I don't have a base to lift at. -T.

Sometimes I don't think they realize the value of a paying client/customer and miss the fact that if we leave, they lose money. It's not worth it for that few extra dollars they try to sweat ya for.

Glad you have the base Mr Dead!

Pretty much got tired of getting hosed... I'm very happy I have the base gyms... I've been sampling the various ones here on base, and have found that for lifting, the dirty dingy dungeon that I've been using works best... But, for cardio, there's one 3 miles from it that has the best cardio options...

Hollow
01-13-09, 12:23 pm
Good to hear you have the Base Gym Mr. Dead.

panzerwagen
01-13-09, 12:35 pm
Pretty much got tired of getting hosed... I'm very happy I have the base gyms... I've been sampling the various ones here on base, and have found that for lifting, the dirty dingy dungeon that I've been using works best... But, for cardio, there's one 3 miles from it that has the best cardio options...

Doesn't seem to me as the 'mistake' they made by charging you less than they 'should have' is your problem at all. If they let you pay that amount, that's the way it should be! And as Hoomgar said, they don't realise they're making a mistake being greedy sons of bitches - they lose a customer + the dissatisfied customer will most likely throw shit at the gym and affect others (friends) enough NOT to get their membership at that place.

Well, maybe it's no point telling you all this. But I understand you perfectly. You can always do cardio by walking or running, and skip the machines.

Sorry to hear about this shit /Panzer

Mr. Dead
01-13-09, 12:44 pm
Thanks guys... I figure I've got enough on my plate with contest prep, that I didn't need the distraction of arguing with a company that has already filed for bankruptcy twice...

Firedrake
01-13-09, 1:59 pm
Thanks guys... I figure I've got enough on my plate with contest prep, that I didn't need the distraction of arguing with a company that has already filed for bankruptcy twice...

Ah . . . that tells me which chain -- the same one I'm using, but they didn't pull that nonsense with me. I wonder if there are different laws about it here in California . . .

Mr. Dead
01-13-09, 2:01 pm
Ah . . . that tells me which chain -- the same one I'm using, but they didn't pull that nonsense with me. I wonder if there are different laws about it here in California . . .

Actually, I believe there are different laws there, vs here...

Hoomgar
01-13-09, 2:30 pm
So you have a choice of several gym locations at the base area? Did I read that right?

Mr. Dead
01-13-09, 2:40 pm
So you have a choice of several gym locations at the base area? Did I read that right?

Yep... About 7 of them...

Hoomgar
01-13-09, 2:42 pm
Yep... About 7 of them...

That is cool d-man!

Mr. Dead
01-13-09, 3:02 pm
That is cool d-man!

The thing I don't like about the base gyms, or rather will miss not having, is the hot tub...

Hoomgar
01-13-09, 4:13 pm
The thing I don't like about the base gyms, or rather will miss not having, is the hot tub...

eh, never been in one so I wouldn't know.

Mr. Dead
01-14-09, 12:16 pm
eh, never been in one so I wouldn't know.

*Grin* Used to have one at my last house... It got used a lot...

Mr. Dead
01-14-09, 1:23 pm
After sampling the wares of all the various gyms, I have found one to my liking... The weight room is immense... Rows and rows of Dbs... All sorts of machines... And all sorts of different brands... I liked the seclusion of the dungeon, but it was lacking a few things, and I can only improvise so much... Plus I found out it's the only one open on weekends and holidays, as well...

Hoomgar
01-15-09, 11:05 am
At least you have choices now man and the only additional cost to you is the gas to get there!

Hollow
01-15-09, 11:06 am
After sampling the wares of all the various gyms, I have found one to my liking... The weight room is immense... Rows and rows of Dbs... All sorts of machines... And all sorts of different brands... I liked the seclusion of the dungeon, but it was lacking a few things, and I can only improvise so much... Plus I found out it's the only one open on weekends and holidays, as well...

That is excellent news!

Mr. Dead
01-15-09, 11:08 am
At least you have choices now man and the only additional cost to you is the gas to get there!

Which will be less than the cost of the gym membership...

That is excellent news!

We'll see... I'm currently getting treated like a noob, there... *L*

Hollow
01-15-09, 11:15 am
LMAO…wait till they’ve witnessed a couple of Mr. Dead’s patented sessions!

Mr. Dead
01-15-09, 11:29 am
LMAO…wait till they’ve witnessed a couple of Mr. Dead’s patented sessions!

We''l see... There's some big boys there... Some of our armed forces boys are grown HUUUGE!!!

Hoomgar
01-15-09, 11:55 am
We''l see... There's some big boys there... Some of our armed forces boys are grown HUUUGE!!!

meh, true, but that doesn't mean they can hang on leg day just because they are big. Only one way to test metal!

:)

Hg

Mr. Dead
01-18-09, 12:42 pm
And, no... I ain't talkin' about paying gym fees... *L* I've had some time to reflect on a few things, as of late... (75 min of cardio can make ya do that... *L*) And, I've been thinking about the importance of paying and not paying your dues... Be it with the weights, the diet, the cardio, etc... As we start to see the flood of those that had the desire to change, via their New Year's Resolution, fall by the wayside... You have to wonder on occasion... Why...?

Many have it in their head, that they're going to hit the gym with a vengeance, and in no time, they'll be looking like a hardbody or Mr. Olympia... They forget all the years of neglect, poor diet choices, alcohol, laziness... They start to miss the comfort of their television, the joys of all you can eat buffets, donuts, not having pain, or soreness, partying with the boys and girls, all that, and more... They don't understand that they have to pay their dues to get the vision of the body and health that they want... Many people have said it before, including myself, "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it..."

True story here... A nurse came up to me, and was whining that she couldn't lose weight, no matter what she tried... Now she was literally as wide as she was tall... (Sadly that's all too common in the healthcare profession...) And, she was quite serious about her statement... But, at the time she was saying this... She was halfway through a dox of a dozen Crispy Cremes... So I told her what would be a great and "simple" start... PUT THE DONUT DOWN!!! She then replied... "That's easy for you to say... You're in shape..."

The norms see us, and think that we came this way naturally... That we didn't have to do anything to get where we are... They don't consider the long hours in the gym, the hours of cardio, the diets that we live on... They think they don't have to make any effort on their part... They just have to show up...

So... The next time you're at the gym, and you feel you've got some more in the tank... Don't waste it, do another set, hit more reps, slap another plate on... When you're totally spent... When you're writhing in pain, the next day... When you KNOW you've given your all... Revel in it... Baske in it... Enjoy and embrace it... You're paying your dues to reach that goal... And it's something that many, many, many people will never do...

When you're trainer ups your cardio, cuts your carbs... Don't bitch and whine about it... Say "Thank you"... You're getting the tools to make that next step, you're paying your dues...

Hollow
01-18-09, 12:55 pm
Very well said Mr. Dead! Something to take to the gym with me tomorrow.

B Con
01-18-09, 7:43 pm
Very well spoken and I agree with it all. Don't worry the health care profession isn't the only one with that kind of "work size" in it as the legal profession has quite a few beefcakers as well.

Themostocles
01-19-09, 12:16 am
Very well said Mr Dead. I also get the reverse at my job, people assume that I am not paying my dues because I don't look like Arnold. And they have no idea what it means to pay the dues to get to where amatuers like us are at. THough I have offered to take them to the gym with me, no takers yet lol. -T.

Hoomgar
01-19-09, 12:41 pm
Paying your dues, solid Mr Dead! So true brother!

Hg

Mr. Dead
01-20-09, 11:44 am
Very well said Mr. Dead! Something to take to the gym with me tomorrow.

Very well spoken and I agree with it all. Don't worry the health care profession isn't the only one with that kind of "work size" in it as the legal profession has quite a few beefcakers as well.

Very well said Mr Dead. I also get the reverse at my job, people assume that I am not paying my dues because I don't look like Arnold. And they have no idea what it means to pay the dues to get to where amatuers like us are at. THough I have offered to take them to the gym with me, no takers yet lol. -T.

Paying your dues, solid Mr Dead! So true brother!

Hg

Had to be said... It's sad, that in the health care field, you have people that are supposed to be educating patients on eating properly, and exercising, and the person telling you this, looks like the "Goodyear Blimp..." And, the misconception that we, who are in shape, had to do nothing to get where we are, pisses me off to no end... It seems that people want everything handed to them...

panzerwagen
01-20-09, 3:50 pm
So... The next time you're at the gym, and you feel you've got some more in the tank... Don't waste it, do another set, hit more reps, slap another plate on... When you're totally spent... When you're writhing in pain, the next day... When you KNOW you've given your all... Revel in it... Baske in it... Enjoy and embrace it... You're paying your dues to reach that goal... And it's something that many, many, many people will never do...

When you're trainer ups your cardio, cuts your carbs... Don't bitch and whine about it... Say "Thank you"... You're getting the tools to make that next step, you're paying your dues...

That was a lovely read Mr. Dead - thanks man! The thing is, as most of us here know, that people really DON'T try everything to lose weight. They might try several things, but what they don't try is CONSISTENCE and DISCIPLINE - that's what they don't try. In the end it's all about priorities. Shure, we might rather want to be in great shape, but we just can't keep ourselves from eating that donut or that pizza. Well, then pizza is the prioritised while getting in shape is NOT - it's really as simple as that. This is the way I look upon myself - if I mess around with my food intake, it's simply what I happen to prioritise before keeping my shit together. It bugs me to hear about all these excuses and reasons for NOT stopping something that should have been stopped long ago. You do what you want - and that's all there is to it.

Cheers

Mr. Dead
01-23-09, 12:11 pm
That was a lovely read Mr. Dead - thanks man! The thing is, as most of us here know, that people really DON'T try everything to lose weight. They might try several things, but what they don't try is CONSISTENCE and DISCIPLINE - that's what they don't try. In the end it's all about priorities. Shure, we might rather want to be in great shape, but we just can't keep ourselves from eating that donut or that pizza. Well, then pizza is the prioritised while getting in shape is NOT - it's really as simple as that. This is the way I look upon myself - if I mess around with my food intake, it's simply what I happen to prioritise before keeping my shit together. It bugs me to hear about all these excuses and reasons for NOT stopping something that should have been stopped long ago. You do what you want - and that's all there is to it.

Cheers

Sadly, that's sooo very true...

charlievanriper
05-18-09, 4:37 pm
That was awesome Mr Dead, good read. Well its time for lunch brothers so later for now, keep up all the hard awesome work.

DANO
06-11-09, 6:31 pm
Good read Mr.D...The funny thing, I think, is the "healt care profession" sees me as "overweight" just by my current size. I personally think that I am in the best shape of my life, at 5'9 188lbs at 12%bf.....But the chart says I should be 155 again.NO THANKS!

Mr. Dead
06-19-09, 3:02 pm
Good read Mr.D...The funny thing, I think, is the "healt care profession" sees me as "overweight" just by my current size. I personally think that I am in the best shape of my life, at 5'9 188lbs at 12%bf.....But the chart says I should be 155 again.NO THANKS!

I deal with that, myself... Those charts are maed by the "norms" and the "string-beans"...

Beast Genetics
07-15-09, 3:44 pm
WOW bro, reading through your Journey I realized Journey's should consist of more than just Workout's and numbers. Very impressive how you came from the cradle to where you at presently in your life. Kudos

charlievanriper
12-31-09, 5:03 pm
Hey Brother I'm going top give you this link here since you may not see my reply till later.

Check out this vid this is insanity at its best!
My new favorite training tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekZYPGxQbno

Brother I never even liked Grunge rock before this, but this is an Awsome song.

Mr. Dead
02-15-10, 7:34 pm
It's odd... As we travel through life, we meet many different people in many different ways... A lot of you, I've only met through the internet... And, some of you, I've talked with telephonically... And, there are those I've actually met in person... But, even though we may or may not meet, I call you all brothers... No matter what media we interact in... We still share the same trails and tribulations, as though we were there... We also feel the same joys at success... This is actually the first place I feel I truly belong... Through everything you all have stood by my side, and I have stood by, as well... It's the unity in here, that seperates us all from the rest, and it's our individuality that creates the whole... So, I thank and salute you, my brothers!!!

Firedrake
02-15-10, 7:37 pm
Right back at you, brother -- the camaraderie I've found here is like nothing else I've ever felt. We're always driving and pushing each other, and encouraging and listening when there are problems -- it's kept me going through the shitty times, I can tell you!

Mr. Dead
03-26-10, 1:35 pm
Fear can be a very powerful thing... Fear can be illogical... But, how we face our fears can define us... As I was home in bed, sick as a dog, yesterday, I was watching "Eddie and the Cruisers II"... And, in it, the title character was running away from his past... He was on the brink of superstardom, and couldn't handle it... He had a fear of success, as well as a fear of being not good enough... We find out in the original movie, that he had staged his own death, and disappeared... Years later, the second one picks up, 10 years from that time... He eventually starts playing with some other musicians... None of them know who he is, but say he sounds a lot like "Eddie"... As the band begins to get to that brink of stardom... He again, finds ways to self sabotage himself... He tries to escape who he is, and wrestles with the demons of fear of failure, and fear of success... He eventually finds that he cannot escape himself, his own worst enemy...
I, too, struggle with this... No... I have not been on the brink of stardom, but I never let myself try to get to that point... I've always found a way to sabotage myself, and while sometimes it may seem like it's not intentional... But, subconsciously, it is... Whether it was "half assing" it in the gym, diet, or cardio... Whether it was binging on booze and video games, or even just finding the simplest excuse... I've done it... In the past...
You see, I truly do want success... But, I'm scared to death of it... A hell of a paradox, there... Because success has become such an unknown variable, it brings about uncertainty... Fear... Even to the point of almost becoming a disease... I long for, and desire success... So bad, I can taste it... But, that self sabotage has become a habit...
As I said earlier, how we face our fear can define us... So, I challenge myself, and all of you... Dust off your huevos, step up, face that fear, and grab your shot at success!!!

Hoomgar
03-26-10, 1:42 pm
Good write up bro. Facing fear is the only way to go. If you find a way to just make the fear go away, it will come back to haunt you another day. In fact, it's going to come back no matter what you do. So learning to face it and overcome it is the answer. Good sound wisdom you are sharing there bro.

I'll share an acronym I learned:

False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

Hg

DANO
03-26-10, 2:29 pm
Ahhh, the double edged sword of success. i know your thoughts exactly. i too strive for success, but at the same time dont want the burden of it. this is where we are here to help, and support. keep fightin the good fight Deadman!

Mr. Dead
03-26-10, 2:42 pm
Fear can be a very powerful thing... Fear can be illogical... But, how we face our fears can define us... As I was home in bed, sick as a dog, yesterday, I was watching "Eddie and the Cruisers II"... And, in it, the title character was running away from his past... He was on the brink of superstardom, and couldn't handle it... He had a fear of success, as well as a fear of being not good enough... We find out in the original movie, that he had staged his own death, and disappeared... Years later, the second one picks up, 10 years from that time... He eventually starts playing with some other musicians... None of them know who he is, but say he sounds a lot like "Eddie"... As the band begins to get to that brink of stardom... He again, finds ways to self sabotage himself... He tries to escape who he is, and wrestles with the demons of fear of failure, and fear of success... He eventually finds that he cannot escape himself, his own worst enemy...
I, too, struggle with this... No... I have not been on the brink of stardom, but I never let myself try to get to that point... I've always found a way to sabotage myself, and while sometimes it may seem like it's not intentional... But, subconsciously, it is... Whether it was "half assing" it in the gym, diet, or cardio... Whether it was binging on booze and video games, or even just finding the simplest excuse... I've done it... In the past...
You see, I truly do want success... But, I'm scared to death of it... A hell of a paradox, there... Because success has become such an unknown variable, it brings about uncertainty... Fear... Even to the point of almost becoming a disease... I long for, and desire success... So bad, I can taste it... But, that self sabotage has become a habit...
As I said earlier, how we face our fear can define us... So, I challenge myself, and all of you... Dust off your huevos, step up, face that fear, and grab your shot at success!!!

*Page Bump...*

Good write up bro. Facing fear is the only way to go. If you find a way to just make the fear go away, it will come back to haunt you another day. In fact, it's going to come back no matter what you do. So learning to face it and overcome it is the answer. Good sound wisdom you are sharing there bro.

I'll share an acronym I learned:

False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

Hg

Thanks!!! I'm plannin' on nothin' but big things!!! (Which of course are made of teh smaller things...)

Ahhh, the double edged sword of success. i know your thoughts exactly. i too strive for success, but at the same time dont want the burden of it. this is where we are here to help, and support. keep fightin the good fight Deadman!

Thanks!!! Nowhere but up, from here!!!

Mr. Dead
05-14-10, 3:49 pm
Tomorrow's impending "Nail-in-the-Coffin Day" has given me a bit of pause to think... More than others... Half a lifetime ago, I was finally legal to drink... Nevermind the fact that I began drinking at 13, and got into clubs from 16 on up... But, I had the world by the huevos, and, sadly, I never took advantage of it... I was young, and had plenty of time on my hands... Things to see people to do... Scratch that... Reverse it... *LOL* But, now that I will turn 42, tomorrow, I have to think... What if...??? Should I have...??? But the answer is pure and simple...

Do I have any regrets...??? No... Everything I am now, was either a direct or indirect cause of who and what I am today... Would I do it all over again...??? In a frickin' heartbeat... Good and bad... Why...??? Because I am a far better person than I was then... I'm far healthier, than I was then... And, I'm far more driven than then...

So, as I look into the future... There better be a damned gym in my nursing home, when I turn 90!!! *LOL*

Firedrake
05-14-10, 6:27 pm
I didn't realize we were so close -- I'll be 56 on Wednesday!

I'm right there with you on that nursing home.

Mr. Dead
05-14-10, 6:37 pm
I didn't realize we were so close -- I'll be 56 on Wednesday!

I'm right there with you on that nursing home.

*LOL* Been tryin' to tell ya... And, they better have at least 150lb db's!!!

naturalguy
05-14-10, 8:19 pm
Tomorrow's impending "Nail-in-the-Coffin Day" has given me a bit of pause to think...

hmmm.........might be time for a Mr. Dead roasting thread

Mr. Dead
05-14-10, 8:28 pm

Bring it!!! *LOL* I'm sure most of the pics will have you in them... *LOL*

Mr. Dead
05-14-10, 9:44 pm

BTW... I'm truly honored that you would grace this thread... Thank you...

naturalguy
05-15-10, 8:13 am
Happy Birthday my man

Mr. Dead
05-15-10, 11:11 am
Happy Birthday my man

Thank you, brother...

Phil800101
05-15-10, 5:21 pm
Right on Chris! Happy birthday!

Mr. Dead
05-15-10, 11:45 pm
Right on Chris! Happy birthday!

Thanks!!!

Mr. Dead
07-12-10, 1:34 pm
The human mind is an amazing thing... And, depending on the circumstances it can either do harm or good... Some of you are probably going, "What the...??? Where is he going with this...???" I'm finding myself in a rut, so to speak... I've slid into the comfortable groove... Complacency... I've lost the ability to challenge myself... Sure, I put in time and effort in the gym... But, is it really my best...??? Could I do more...??? You see, when I'm in prep... I've got that deadline... My mind knows it's there, and each tick of the clock has to count... My back is against the wall... I have to do everything with full intensity... Without that deadline and having my back against the wall, my mind says... "You have all the time in the world..." "One workout missed won't mean much..." "Everything is fine..." But, it's not... I'm not getting any younger... Each tick of the clock needs to count for something... So, from here on out... My back is against the wall, and the fight is on...

charlievanriper
07-12-10, 2:17 pm
Nice, I have not seen this thread in a while.

Mr. Dead
07-12-10, 2:29 pm
Nice, I have not seen this thread in a while.

Thanks... Been a bit overdue with puttin' the thoughts to the keyboard, again...

Mr. Dead
08-06-10, 12:25 pm
Motivation... It's a popular "Buzz Word", it has many meanings in is brought about by many things... It can be "spunk", "moxie", hustle, a driving force, etc... It can be brought about by tragic events, a foul mood swing, a song, a comment, a good event, etc... At a point, recently, I found myself lacking "Motivation"... I'd go to the gym, lift, eat my meals, take my supplements, say my prayers, etc... (Didn't want to sound toooo much like Hulk Hogan... *LOL*) But, the memories of being beaten down by events, poor placings, exclusion on certain events or things had taken their toll... Depression, apathy, and disassociation had become my world... I started just going through the motions of my very existance... I flat out "Didn't give a shit" about anything, and even considered resorting to the bottle... I'm not writing this for sympathy, kind words, or nut powder... This is merely to "set the stage", so to speak...

After realizing how much I had changed, and spiraled downward... I had to take a step back, and look at things, from the "outside"... To look at myself as both a patient and an experiment... I had to delve deep into myself, and find out what makes me tick... What caused the change in me... And, most importantly... How to fix it...

The change began, as soon as I stepped off the stage at my last show... I had gone from my best package ever, to my worst, in a matter of an hour... I was truly beaten down... I had one misguided gentleman that had told me to stop by his gym, if I wanted to continue in my endeavor and he would show me how to get into a decent program... I had to resist every fiber in my being, and not knock the ass-clown into next week... So, now we know when, and a little bit of why... Now, what...??? Well...

I've found out, by looking at myself, that when I'm good and pissed, that I'm unstoppable... Be it in matters of the gym, the job world, or even matters of the heart... Because I'm then totally driven and focused... Now, how to harness that... Shape it, and make full use of it, without being constantly angry, bitter, and hateful... Simple... There's a time and place for everything...

Time to take my anger, pain, sorrow, and hate and channel it into that brief moment of time when I'm at the gym... Also, time to change my own thought process... Remove the distractions, such as negative people, financial issues, and such... And create my own environment... As, I truly control more than I know... And choose to break down the barriers... And, own my own successes... Also, to become more rounded and a whole person... There are certain things in my life that I had pushed off to the side, that had made me whole... My music... My spirituality... My homelife...

Now that I know this... It's time to build the Perfect Beast... Time for the Dead Man to truly rise from the abyss of his own self-created grave...

Phil800101
08-08-10, 11:07 pm
Right on!

Firedrake
08-09-10, 12:17 am
Brother, you KNOW I understand. I also know that, once you GET focused, there'll be no stopping you. You've learned, with each step, how to do certain things, and learned what NOT to do, as well (as I learned not to get shingles before a show <grin>).

Bring it all together, make your plan, work your program, and Get It Done.

I have every faith in you.

Mr. Dead
08-09-10, 10:14 pm
Right on!

Thanks!!!

Brother, you KNOW I understand. I also know that, once you GET focused, there'll be no stopping you. You've learned, with each step, how to do certain things, and learned what NOT to do, as well (as I learned not to get shingles before a show <grin>).

Bring it all together, make your plan, work your program, and Get It Done.

I have every faith in you.

Thanks!!! I'm totally focused, finally, with a clear cut goal and vision of myself at the end of that goal... The Monster is showing signs of life...

DANO
08-09-10, 10:51 pm
...and the Dead shall rise up, becoming an unstopable force, with slow deliberate steps, overcoming all in the path....

Mr. Dead
08-09-10, 10:53 pm
...and the Dead shall rise up, becoming an unstopable force, with slow deliberate steps, overcoming all in the path....

I like that!!! I may borrow that!!!

Firedrake
08-09-10, 10:55 pm
Thanks!!!

Thanks!!! I'm totally focused, finally, with a clear cut goal and vision of myself at the end of that goal... The Monster is showing signs of life...

It's . . . a-LIIIIIIVE!

[cue lightning and thunder]

DANO
08-09-10, 10:57 pm
I like that!!! I may borrow that!!!

my gift to you <grin>

Mr. Dead
08-10-10, 11:48 am
It's . . . a-LIIIIIIVE!

[cue lightning and thunder]

Oh, yeah!!! Very much so!!!

my gift to you <grin>

Thanks!!! (Check my signature... *LOL*)

Mr. Dead
08-12-10, 12:48 pm
As a lot of you know, I play guitar and bass... Used to play in a band, but now play mostly for my own enjoyment as well as creative and emotional release... Music has been a part of my life, practically since birth... As a very young child, I was always surrounded by music... My Dad and my uncles had extensive music colections, and one uncle even had an electric guitar... Early on I was hearing the sounds of the Beatles, Jimmi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc... At 3, I was brought to my first concert... (ZZ Top, at Herman Hill Park, in Wichita, Ks...)

Over time, my tastes changed... My 1st 8-track I ever bought was "The Life and Times of Jim Croce"... The 1st albums I ever bought with my own money were "Tattoo You", by the Rolling Stones and "Holy Diver", by Ronnie James Dio... I own some classical music (Thank you Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes *LOL*), Tchaikovsky, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Rachmaninoff... I own some Country... Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Jr, Ray Stevens... I own some Punk... Sex Pistols, the Clash, Iggy and the Stooges, the Ramones, Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper, etc... New Wave... Adam and the Ants, INXS, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode... Metal, Classic Rock, Funk, Disco, Rap, Hip Hop... I listen to it all... My tastes change with the times, as well as my mood...

I bought my 1st electric guitar, when I was assigned my 1st duty station in the army... Within a month I had 3 guitars... 4 months, I had 5... Then, between booze, break-ups with girlfriends, and low finances, I had none... That went on, for several years... I felt an empty void... I didn't feel whole... It was during this time that I also was spiraling into booze, and not going to the gym... Then, I found out that the husband of a friend of my wife was in a band... I went to one of their rehearsals, sat in with them, and embarked on a rollercoaster ride with them of playing gigs, bickering, fighting, and losing all joy... I felt bitter and depressed... Time to pick up the bottle... The void returned... Eventually, I realized that I could play for my own fun... And, not be dictated what I had to play... Immediately, I was back in the gym, and became what you see today...

Looking back, every event in my life I could tell what I was listening to... And, now, I've learned to channel my mood or change it as necessary... Through music... It heals my heart, it soothes my soul, it picks me up, it keeps me riding a wave... And... It gets my butt in the gym...

DANO
08-12-10, 9:23 pm
Before my step-sons moved out, there were 5 guitars (4 electric), 3 amps, 2 flutes, a keyboard, drum kit, a taiko drum, and a didgerido in my house..... BTW what are your thoughts on the band Primus..just curious.

Mr. Dead
08-13-10, 10:45 am
Before my step-sons moved out, there were 5 guitars (4 electric), 3 amps, 2 flutes, a keyboard, drum kit, a taiko drum, and a didgerido in my house..... BTW what are your thoughts on the band Primus..just curious.

Nice!!! Between dd2inxs and I we have 2 guitars, 2 basses, a keyboard, an upright Grand piano, a flute, and a piccolo... And, as fars Primus goes... 4 words... "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver"... *LOL* (Just listened to that, on my way in to work...)

DANO
08-13-10, 11:00 am
one day you know that beaver tried to leave her, so she chained it up with cyclone fence.

DANO
08-13-10, 11:03 am
have you ever heard their cover of Floyds "Have a cigar?

Mr. Dead
08-13-10, 11:07 am
one day you know that beaver tried to leave her, so she chained it up with cyclone fence.

*LOL* "Along came Lou with the old baboon
And said "Recognize that smell?"
"Smells like seven layers,
That beaver eats Taco Bell."

have you ever heard their cover of Floyds "Have a cigar?

Unfortuantely, no...

Mr. Dead
08-26-10, 2:12 pm
An old friend from high school reminded me of something, last week, while on Facebook... We had been talking about my last show, and how disappointed I was... And, she said... "Chris, in the entire time I've known you, you've always gotten whatever you went after... Maybe not immediately, but eventually... You never give up, and you always perservere..." That has stuck in my brain, as of late... And, I think she's right... After knowing me for nearly 30 years, I think she has a good idea of how I am... *LOL*

After looking back at my past shows, the results, the work, and being told, I "shouldn't bother", I'm "too old", and what not... I had to take a step back at my journey as a bodybuilder... Some of the old adages went through my head... "Rome wasn't built in a day", "If at first you don't succed... yada yada yada..."... Whatever... So, I then looked at my pics, from when I started... (Talk about a dose of reality... *LOL*) And, then I looked at each of the following ones... The changes were there... And, then I thought back to the very first Iron Contest, that was run on here... Even with the swine flu, I still managed to turn in a final entry... I couldn't stand, and I puked 3 times, while writing my essay... *LOL* But... I didn't give up... So... Each time, I get that lingering doubt, as to whether I could or should do this... I'm going to take another stroll down memory lane... Keep my eye on that prize, and never give up...

StayGold
08-26-10, 2:24 pm
I like hearing things like this, Dead. It's how you come out in the end that shows how strong you really are. You've got a few thousand Animal brothers backing you. Always remember that.

Triumph, soar and never look back..

Stay strong brother

charlievanriper
08-26-10, 3:27 pm
Always works for me Big guy That and "TACO BELL"

An old friend from high school reminded me of something, last week, while on Facebook... We had been talking about my last show, and how disappointed I was... And, she said... "Chris, in the entire time I've known you, you've always gotten whatever you went after... Maybe not immediately, but eventually... You never give up, and you always perservere..." That has stuck in my brain, as of late... And, I think she's right... After knowing me for nearly 30 years, I think she has a good idea of how I am... *LOL*

After looking back at my past shows, the results, the work, and being told, I "shouldn't bother", I'm "too old", and what not... I had to take a step back at my journey as a bodybuilder... Some of the old adages went through my head... "Rome wasn't built in a day", "If at first you don't succed... yada yada yada..."... Whatever... So, I then looked at my pics, from when I started... (Talk about a dose of reality... *LOL*) And, then I looked at each of the following ones... The changes were there... And, then I thought back to the very first Iron Contest, that was run on here... Even with the swine flu, I still managed to turn in a final entry... I couldn't stand, and I puked 3 times, while writing my essay... *LOL* But... I didn't give up... So... Each time, I get that lingering doubt, as to whether I could or should do this... I'm going to take another stroll down memory lane... Keep my eye on that prize, and never give up...

Mr. Dead
08-26-10, 5:36 pm
I like hearing things like this, Dead. It's how you come out in the end that shows how strong you really are. You've got a few thousand Animal brothers backing you. Always remember that.

Triumph, soar and never look back..

Stay strong brother

Will do!!! And, that's one of the many things I love about this place... The unity and solidarity...

Always works for me Big guy That and "TACO BELL"

Never underestimate the power of "The Bell"...

Mr. Dead
09-02-10, 4:08 pm
I'm dealing with a bit of an issue, currently... I was going to write about fall, and how it is my favorite time of the year, why it is, and why it is pertinent to my life at this juncture... But, I've seen a SHITLOAD of idiocy on here, as of late... So, now I wonder... Which should I address...???

Vaze_06
09-02-10, 4:31 pm
dude... u are such a beast!!!
lol, sorry i couldnt resist...
do both or which ever u prefer. (do what the lady says.. do both ...)

Mr. Dead
09-02-10, 4:35 pm
dude... u are such a beast!!!
lol, sorry i couldnt resist...
do both or which ever u prefer. (do what the lady says.. do both ...)

Your first phrase scratched the surface of my conundrum...

Vaze_06
09-02-10, 4:45 pm
hehe... yeah i have been following that interesting and extremely messed thread ... i think secretly, deep down inside, some hoped it was their pic instead of that dude. cauz bottom line thats what must guys are aiming for. we all wanna be called and seen as a Beast, Freak etc etc etc ... *shrugs* oh well

Firedrake
09-02-10, 4:54 pm

I don't know why I didn't see this before, but somehow, I can't even -imagine- you giving up. Taking stock and re-evaiuating things, yeah, but we all do that after major events of any kind.

Brother, I've only met you in person at the Cage, but I honestly think I can say I know you well enough that you'll FIND a way.

Mr. Dead
09-02-10, 5:01 pm
As I write this, I am a bit dumbfounded, as of late... Sadly, I have started to see a sheep mentality on here... I've seen everything from "Delete your Facebook" to people ignoring a post's original question, and going off on a tangent about what a "Beast" is... What the hell is going on in here...???!!!

Facebook: I've seen several things about this"evil" creation... Damn... Just use it for what it is... A tool... It can be used to get in touch with family and loved ones... It can be used to convey a message... It can be used for entertainment... It can be used for networking... It can be used to get in touch with people that simply got lost in the shuffle of life... It can even be used to talk about things here, that you can't or shouldn't talk about on here...

People say that kids today are so hooked on the internet, that they don't go out and exercise or play... Bull!!! That's where a parent has to step up, and make the child do something... People say that people use Facebook to "brag" about themselves, their workouts or their pics... It's the same damned thing we do on here... Just under a different guise...

Do we converse on here...??? Do we put up our workout numbers on here...??? Do we put up "progress" pics on here...??? Do we talk about things unrelated to supplements and lifting, only...???

We live in a day and age, that when I was a child, I could only imagine... We have so many tools at our fingertips, it's truly amazing... But... It's how we use them, that makes a difference... Do we use the television, game console, or internet to raise our children or rule our lives...??? Or... Do we use it for what it is...??? A tool...

By using this tool, I'd have never met any one of you... I'd have never been able to interact freely with the pros in my or your chosen sport... I'd have never been able to keep up to date on the latest news in diet, supplementation, and training... I would never been able to make my voice heard, or make a damned bit of difference...

Without it... This very FORVM, that we all hold so dear would not exist...

Necromatrix
09-02-10, 5:57 pm
One thing people tend to "forget" is this: http://forum.animalpak.com/announcement.php?f=5

I have seen it in other places, both online and off. Some people get so wrapped up in themselves or become too self importent. They forget that although respect is earned and not given, it can just as easliy be taken away.

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road. Maybe, maybe not. Everyone has to face themselves in the mirror, and there is no keyboard there to hide behind.

The important thing is to stay above the bullshit. That, and everyone here has to remember that we are adults. We are all here for a purpose that does not involve ego stroking. And anyone here for other reasons... Well, there is a nifty little "X" in the upper right hand corner of your screen... Please press that now.

StayGold
09-02-10, 6:00 pm
One thing people tend to "forget" is this: http://forum.animalpak.com/announcement.php?f=5

I have seen it in other places, both online and off. Some people get so wrapped up in themselves or become too self importent. They forget that although respect is earned and not given, it can just as easliy be taken away.

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road. Maybe, maybe not. Everyone has to face themselves in the mirror, and there is no keyboard there to hide behind.

The important thing is to stay above the bullshit. That, and everyone here has to remember that we are adults. We are all here for a purpose that does not involve ego stroking. And anyone here for other reasons... Well, there is a nifty little "X" in the upper right hand corner of your screen... Please press that now.

I was thinking of a reply for you, Dead. This is it. I think anyone who may not be up to snuff needs to thoroughly read through the information contained in the link above.

DANO
09-03-10, 4:34 pm
Very true Deadman... this is the only place on the information superhighway you will find me, but i agree that this too is getting "watered down"(?) but if not for this wonderful forum there are MANY things i would have missed out on. Supporting folks like you and Firedrake on your journeys has given me more of a drive to achieve. Thanks Deadman.

Phil800101
09-06-10, 4:58 pm
Right fucking on bro!

Mr. Dead
09-15-10, 12:16 pm

I was thinking of a reply for you, Dead. This is it. I think anyone who may not be up to snuff needs to thoroughly read through the information contained in the link above.

Very true Deadman... this is the only place on the information superhighway you will find me, but i agree that this too is getting "watered down"(?) but if not for this wonderful forum there are MANY things i would have missed out on. Supporting folks like you and Firedrake on your journeys has given me more of a drive to achieve. Thanks Deadman.

Right fucking on bro!

Thanks, guys... Sometimes we ALL (Especially, me...) need to take a step back and see things for what they are, not necessarily as others perceive them...

Mr. Dead
09-15-10, 12:31 pm
I've been dying to get this out... As this time of year has always held a special "Magic" for me... Even as a child, Halloween and football have been 2 of my greatest joys and passions... And, at the tender age of 42, this season has even more "personal" meaning... People have often talked about "The Lion in Winter"... Now as time passes, I see "The Deadman in Fall"... No, this isn't going to be a boo-hoo, poor me is getting "old" whine-fest... But rather a celebration...

I still love Halloween and football, to this very day... That crisp autumn chill always brings a smile to my face... I remember at the age of 5, for Christmas, getting a Miami Dolphins varsity jacket, sweat shirt, stocking hat, and pajamas... (That was waaaay back, when they were the "it" team... I remember, in 6th grade, being told I wasn't going to get to play football, because my parents feared I would get hurt... ( I begged, pleaded, wrote little notes around the house, until they caved...) I can remember a vast majority of the Halloween costumes I wore... I take pride in having my yard set up for the delight of young and old "trick-or-treaters"... I have an extensive horror movie collection... I watch football every Sunday and Monday (Yes, I prefer pro over college...) It's all still there... The joy and youthful exhileration...

But, now, as I face the "Autumn" of my life, I feel that same magic and energy... I'm surrounded by great friends and family, unlike some of my younger days... (When a bottle was my best friend...) I'm in far better shape and health, than ever... And, it's even more fitting, that my next show will be in October (2011)... Yes, the magic is there for all of the things of my youth, as well as now... I feel that the best has yet to come!!!

PIJW
09-15-10, 12:35 pm
I've been dying to get this out... As this time of year has always held a special "Magic" for me... Even as a child, Halloween and football have been 2 of my greatest joys and passions... And, at the tender age of 42, this season has even more "personal" meaning... People have often talked about "The Lion in Winter"... Now as time passes, I see "The Deadman in Fall"... No, this isn't going to be a boo-hoo, poor me is getting "old" whine-fest... But rather a celebration...

I still love Halloween and football, to this very day... That crisp autumn chill always brings a smile to my face... I remember at the age of 5, for Christmas, getting a Miami Dolphins varsity jacket, sweat shirt, stocking hat, and pajamas... (That was waaaay back, when they were the "it" team... I remember, in 6th grade, being told I wasn't going to get to play football, because my parents feared I would get hurt... ( I begged, pleaded, wrote little notes around the house, until they caved...) I can remember a vast majority of the Halloween costumes I wore... I take pride in having my yard set up for the delight of young and old "trick-or-treaters"... I have an extensive horror movie collection... I watch football every Sunday and Monday (Yes, I prefer pro over college...) It's all still there... The joy and youthful exhileration...

But, now, as I face the "Autumn" of my life, I feel that same magic and energy... I'm surrounded by great friends and family, unlike some of my younger days... (When a bottle was my best friend...) I'm in far better shape and health, than ever... And, it's even more fitting, that my next show will be in October (2011)... Yes, the magic is there for all of the things of my youth, as well as now... I feel that the best has yet to come!!!

well written

DANO
09-15-10, 2:07 pm
Go Broncos! <cheesy grin> Well said Deadman, I look forward to next October for you as well.

Mr. Dead
09-15-10, 5:15 pm
well written

Go Broncos! <cheesy grin> Well said Deadman, I look forward to next October for you as well.

Thanks, guys!!! Fall is definitely that time of year, when I'm at my best... And, DANO... Surprisingly, our 2 teams have the same record... *LOL*

PIJW
09-15-10, 5:42 pm
Hey the Chiefs are in 1st

::LOL::

How long will it last. Poor KC Lets go NE

Mr. Dead
09-15-10, 5:43 pm
Hey the Chiefs are in 1st

::LOL::

How long will it last. Poor KC Lets go NE

Now matter how crappy they do... I'm still a die-hard member of the Raider Nation...

Mr. Dead
10-07-10, 12:32 pm
A few recent things have given me cause to revisit some of my past, and be extremely grateful... In my very first post in this thread, I mentioned being homeless and a love for the drink... Which in turn had a lot to do with being homeless... Aggression brought up something in his "Freebird" thread that started my brain to tick, and then seeing a homeless man today, made made me take a look back at where I had been...

I started drinking at age 13... It was in Wichita, Kansas... Part of it was boredom, part was release from real or imagined stresses, and part was just having a "good time"... By that time I was working full time, and a lot of my "friends" were in their 20's and 30's... Move forward to age 16... By this time I had was able to grow facial hair quite easily, and had no trouble getting into clubs with my "friends"... To me, that was a normal and accepted lifestyle... During this time, I managed going to school, playing sports, partying, and working 40 hours a week... Move forward to age 18... I joined the army 3 days after graduating high school... My first permenant duty station was Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri... That was the worst 3 years of my life...

The drinking picked up, even more... That was just the way things were, there... Nothing to do, too much money, and no bills... (Now, I should mention, that I was still hitting the iron through these periods...) I went to various schools while I was there... In hopes of finding a way to get stationed elsewhere... No such luck...

I had a brief forray, in another country, and will leave it at that...

Move forward a few years, and "Desert Storm" had just ended... I had just finished 91C school (LPN), and was being offered a chance to get out early and get paid to do so... By that time, the Army had changed, but I did not... I had difficulty adjusting to the "kinder and genlter" Army... My rank was quite evident of that... I had my E-4, 3 times... I had difficulty with E-1 Privates telling me to go "Fuck myself", after being given an order... *LOL*

So, I moved into the civilian sector... With no life skills whatsoever... The drinking and partying continued... The iron, sadly, did not... Bills began to mount up, my irresponsibility increased, and soon found myself evicted... HOMELESS... I lost my job, lost my car... But, managed to keep it from my girlfriend (dd2inxs, my wife...) At least for a time...

I was living under an abandoned semi-trailer... I hunted for change in parking lots, recycled aluminum cans, for cash for food and beer... I cleaned up in department store restrooms... Eventually, dd2inxs found out... And, that began the turning point... Ashamed at what I had become, I pulled myself together, with some help... Her family opened their doors to me, and within a couple of weeks, I had secured my old job, an apartment, and my dignity...

Move forward 2 more years... dd2inxs and I had become engaged, married, and the owners of a double-wide... We managed a living, there... But, it was not the happiness we had envisioned... I continued to become fat, and lazy... I worked, I came home, I flopped in front of the PlayStation, I drank... I still kept on top of the bills, but that was about it... My jobs, kept getting better and better, as did hers... We then were in a position to get our dream home... Where we reside... I cleaned up my act... I rekindled my love for the iron... I got the itch to compete... And, eventually, wound up where I am, today...

I will NEVER go back to what I was in the past, and continue to strive to make myself a BETTER MAN!!! I truly hope that others may learn from my mistakes, as I have...

PIJW
10-07-10, 12:41 pm
I have no idea what to say Dead, but congrats on pulling yourself together, getting on top of everything and pushing yourself to be not a better man, but a better all around person and husband to your wife. Keep up your hard work and thing will always continue to get better for you.

Firedrake
10-07-10, 1:56 pm
That's an amazing Journey, brother -- kudos to you for pulling through and making it happen. You are an example of what can happen with persistence and sheer bloody-mindedness.

Congratulations!

Mr. Dead
10-07-10, 5:28 pm
I have no idea what to say Dead, but congrats on pulling yourself together, getting on top of everything and pushing yourself to be not a better man, but a better all around person and husband to your wife. Keep up your hard work and thing will always continue to get better for you.

That's an amazing Journey, brother -- kudos to you for pulling through and making it happen. You are an example of what can happen with persistence and sheer bloody-mindedness.

Congratulations!

Thank you. I just hope others learn from my mistakes, and don't make the same ones...

Cellardweller
10-09-10, 1:34 pm
I just hope others learn from my mistakes, and don't make the same ones...

Very inspiring. Much respect bro.

Powerbunnydc
10-13-10, 11:36 am
Can't appreciate where you are if you don't own up to the hell you've come through, even if some of it is of your own making (been there, have t-shirt).

Much, MUCH respect, Dead.

Mr. Dead
10-14-10, 12:00 am
Very inspiring. Much respect bro.

Can't appreciate where you are if you don't own up to the hell you've come through, even if some of it is of your own making (been there, have t-shirt).

Much, MUCH respect, Dead.

Thank you, both... Again, though, I hope people will learn from the mistakes...

Mr. Dead
11-15-10, 2:50 pm
Just realized, that I hit the 3-year mark, yesterday... Join Date: 14 November, 2007... Time flies, when you're having fun... I want to thank all of you, that have been with me, along the way, in one form or another... I also, want to thank Universal Nutrition and their staff, for all of the amazing opportunities that I've been given... It's totally mind-blowing... Here's to many more years!!!

PIJW
11-15-10, 2:51 pm
Just realized, that I hit the 3-year mark, yesterday... Join Date: 14 November, 2007... Time flies, when you're having fun... I want to thank all of you, that have been with me, along the way, in one form or another... I also want to thank Universal Nutrition and their staff, for all of the amazing oppoertunities that I've been given... It's totally mind-blowing... Here's to many more years!!!

Congrats

Mr. Dead
11-15-10, 9:13 pm
Congrats

Thanks!!! It's been an incredible and eventful 3 years!!!

Mr. Dead
12-17-10, 10:25 pm
As of late... I've been thinking... Brooding... Contemplating... I've garnered a few titles, over time... But a few still elude my grasp... Class Winner... Victor... Overall Winner... I've asked myself why... And, my shallow self only comes up with excuses... My inner self chafes and burns at the excuses... But, "why" is never answered... Even though there are others to compete against to get those titles... I feel that I've never beaten my greatest foe... Myself... So now... Here I stand, with even more resources at my disposal, than ever... Will I claim those titles... Or will I chafe at the excuses...??? Only time will tell...

Mr. Dead
02-04-11, 2:24 pm
There's a strong chance that I may be moving this over to the universalUSA site...

DANO
02-06-11, 10:32 pm
Hey Deadman, there is a guy that you quoted in your sig.... BELIEVE in what he said. You have everything you need to take those titles and make them a part of you. DO IT. GRAB IT. OWN IT.... and keep this here on this site as well, my phone doesnt load the universal one! <grin>

Mr. Dead
02-07-11, 12:02 pm
Hey Deadman, there is a guy that you quoted in your sig.... BELIEVE in what he said. You have everything you need to take those titles and make them a part of you. DO IT. GRAB IT. OWN IT.... and keep this here on this site as well, my phone doesnt load the universal one! <grin>

Will do...!!! On both accounts...

Mr. Dead
02-10-11, 1:37 pm
Now, I'm not talkin' about diversity in training or diet... I'm talking about diversity in one's life... I've seen too many people zero in, and focus on just one thing, in their life... And, one thing only... especially, when it comes to the iron... They get so focused on that "one" thing, that it becomes a consuming addiction... It's great to have a passion for the iron... But, keep other things in there too... Quickest way to burnout, mental problems, and loneliness, is to ignore the other things in life... Myself, I keep busy on many fronts... For example:

Community interests and wildlife conservation... I really enjoy nature and wildlife... I also really enjoy eating said wildlife... *LOL* I enjoy nature and animals so much, that I'm on the Board of Dierctors for a non-profit organization called Wildlife Encounters, which is a 501(c) organization that does outreach programs with live animals that are unable to be released back into the wild do to injury or human imprinting...

Music... I play both guitar and bass... I've played both in a few bands... Now I just play for my own enjoyment... I also enjoy listening to music and going to concerts... I have a rather eclectic music collection... Guns-n-Roses, Aerosmith, The Beatles, Bach, the Black Eyed Peas, Tchaikovsky, Hank Williams Jr., Parliament, Metallica, Korn, Rob Zombie, the Surf Punks, Adam and the Ants, the list goes on...

Reading... I do a lot of reading, besides bodybuilding mags... I have an extensive collection of comic books... Mostly Marvel, but some DC... I also am fond of Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott, The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexander Dumas, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Plato's Repbulic, The Art of War...

Cooking... A guy that loves to eat, can also love to cook... Grilling, Italian cuisine, Asian cuisine are my strong points... *LOL*

My dogs... I should just say, my "children" *LOL*... I have a Rottweiller and A Black Lab... They're my cardio buddies...

Friends... Gotta have 'em sometimes ya wish ya didn't... I've got several friends that I've had all the way back to 3rd grade... They give support, as well as the occasional kick in the ass... They also are great to go hangout with, play games with, help with car or home projects, and vice versa...

Family... My wife who is always very supportive of all of my endeavors, and my anchor during rocky times... The Yin to my Yang... The level head, when I'm in total chaos... I owe a lot of who and what I am, to her...

Phil800101
02-10-11, 2:07 pm
Well said bro, well said. And I'm with ya 100%, right on.

Mr. Dead
02-10-11, 2:16 pm
Well said bro, well said. And I'm with ya 100%, right on.

Thanks... I think a lot of time people get too wrapped up in the iron, and sometimes it becomes an unhealthy obsession... Gotta have other aspects, to be a whole person...

Hollow
02-10-11, 2:51 pm
I'm with Phil800101 on this one, well said Mr. Dead. You definitely need some diversity in your life.

Mr. Dead
02-10-11, 3:25 pm
I'm with Phil800101 on this one, well said Mr. Dead. You definitely need some diversity in your life.

Definitely...!!! Great to see ya poppin' in, a bit more often...!!!

Cellardweller
02-10-11, 5:47 pm
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexander Dumas

Best damn book ever. Great post Mr. D.

Phil800101
02-10-11, 5:50 pm
Best damn book ever. Great post Mr. D.

Good sandwich too.

Necromatrix
02-10-11, 6:58 pm
And video games... Don't forget video games! Lol!

Mr. Dead
02-17-11, 3:00 pm
As the passage of time continues... I find myself, still looking into the future... But... I do so, with a cold harsh dose of reality... And, it is not with regrets or, woulda, shoulda, coulda... But with the understanding that time marches on, and waits for noone...

Obviously, I can't compete forever... The mind may be willing... But... Eventually, the body rebels... Sooooooo... What's a Dead man to do...??? Promote a show...??? Nope... I'm not good at kissing hands and shaking babies... Become a Mentor/Trainer...??? Yes, but... We all do it in some form or another, regardless, as we like to give back in the same manner that we were given... And, I've actually been training or helping to train a few people... Including a young lady that took her class, in her first ever bikini contest... Buuuuuut... I'd like to do more, and remain involved in the sport that I am so passionate with...

As some have noticed, I've begun doing interviews, and "play-by-play", for some shows, and some of our athletes... Some have said, that I have a knack for it... And, I own and have read tons of magazines, and have always been interested in the interviews that were done... So... This seems to be a possible next logical step...

I will still compete, for a little while longer... But, I do know the inevitable is staring me down... I won't back down... But... I will not be so foolish as to not understand that time and age take their toll... So, I will gradually be transitioning more and more, into these roles...

DANO
02-17-11, 5:15 pm
And video games... Don't forget video games! Lol!

Fallout 3.... 'Nuff said

As the passage of time continues... I find myself, still looking into the future... But... I do so, with a cold harsh dose of reality... And, it is not with regrets or, woulda, shoulda, coulda... But with the understanding that time marches on, and waits for noone...

Obviously, I can't compete forever... The mind may be willing... But... Eventually, the body rebels... Sooooooo... What's a Dead man to do...??? Promote a show...??? Nope... I'm not good at kissing hands and shaking babies... Become a Mentor/Trainer...??? Yes, but... We all do it in some form or another, regardless, as we like to give back in the same manner that we were given... And, I've actually been training or helping to train a few people... Including a young lady that took her class, in her first ever bikini contest... Buuuuuut... I'd like to do more, and remain involved in the sport that I am so passionate with...

As some have noticed, I've begun doing interviews, and "play-by-play", for some shows, and some of our athletes... Some have said, that I have a knack for it... And, I own and have read tons of magazines, and have always been interested in the interviews that were done... So... This seems to be a possible next logical step...

I will still compete, for a little while longer... But, I do know the inevitable is staring me down... I won't back down... But... I will not be so foolish as to not understand that time and age take their toll... So, I will gradually be transitioning more and more, into these roles...

Go talk a little more with Firedrake! <grin>

Mr. Dead
02-18-11, 1:30 pm
Fallout 3.... 'Nuff said

Go talk a little more with Firedrake! <grin>

Colosseum: Road to Freedom...

I've still got a bit left in the tank, and won't stop competing just yet... But... I do need to keep my eye on the future...

Necromatrix
02-18-11, 2:23 pm
Colosseum: Road to Freedom...

I've still got a bit left in the tank, and won't stop competing just yet... But... I do need to keep my eye on the future...

Fallout: New Vegas and /or Borderlands.

Well, you definatly got a solid base to start with. Who knows... Articles from the Deadman posted by Animal?

Mr. Dead
02-18-11, 2:26 pm
Fallout: New Vegas and /or Borderlands.

Well, you definatly got a solid base to start with. Who knows... Articles from the Deadman posted by Animal?

One never knows... BTW... Colosseum: Road to Freedom is a bloody, gladiator game, that is never the same each time you play it... Even get to go against bulls, elephants, and tigers... As well as battling many opponents at once... And, if your weapon gets knocked out of your hand, and an opponent grabs it... You could very well be stuck with crappy weapons and armor...

Rage
02-23-11, 3:22 pm

As you know, I can relate. Next year will be 30 years in bodybuilding/weight training. I'm starting to have as much fun if not more in watching and helping some up and comers. Nice write Dead Man.

Mr. Dead
02-23-11, 5:37 pm
As you know, I can relate. Next year will be 30 years in bodybuilding/weight training. I'm starting to have as much fun if not more in watching and helping some up and comers. Nice write Dead Man.

Thank you, Sir...

Powerbunnydc
03-02-11, 5:00 pm
Now, I'm not talkin' about diversity in training or diet... I'm talking about diversity in one's life... I've seen too many people zero in, and focus on just one thing, in their life... And, one thing only... especially, when it comes to the iron... They get so focused on that "one" thing, that it becomes a consuming addiction... It's great to have a passion for the iron... But, keep other things in there too... Quickest way to burnout, mental problems, and loneliness, is to ignore the other things in life... Myself, I keep busy on many fronts... For example:

Community interests and wildlife conservation... I really enjoy nature and wildlife... I also really enjoy eating said wildlife... *LOL* I enjoy nature and animals so much, that I'm on the Board of Dierctors for a non-profit organization called Wildlife Encounters, which is a 501(c) organization that does outreach programs with live animals that are unable to be released back into the wild do to injury or human imprinting...

Music... I play both guitar and bass... I've played both in a few bands... Now I just play for my own enjoyment... I also enjoy listening to music and going to concerts... I have a rather eclectic music collection... Guns-n-Roses, Aerosmith, The Beatles, Bach, the Black Eyed Peas, Tchaikovsky, Hank Williams Jr., Parliament, Metallica, Korn, Rob Zombie, the Surf Punks, Adam and the Ants, the list goes on...

Reading... I do a lot of reading, besides bodybuilding mags... I have an extensive collection of comic books... Mostly Marvel, but some DC... I also am fond of Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott, The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexander Dumas, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Plato's Repbulic, The Art of War...

Cooking... A guy that loves to eat, can also love to cook... Grilling, Italian cuisine, Asian cuisine are my strong points... *LOL*

My dogs... I should just say, my "children" *LOL*... I have a Rottweiller and A Black Lab... They're my cardio buddies...

Friends... Gotta have 'em sometimes ya wish ya didn't... I've got several friends that I've had all the way back to 3rd grade... They give support, as well as the occasional kick in the ass... They also are great to go hangout with, play games with, help with car or home projects, and vice versa...

Family... My wife who is always very supportive of all of my endeavors, and my anchor during rocky times... The Yin to my Yang... The level head, when I'm in total chaos... I owe a lot of who and what I am, to her...

I can't believe you left my personal favorite off the list...salsa dancing!!

Coming from someone who has to manage her tunnel vision so they don't become obsessions, I have to keep this thought in the front of my mind: "This is fun, but this isn't your whole life. Don't make it." Good post, Mr. Dead.

Mr. Dead
03-03-11, 12:18 pm
I can't believe you left my personal favorite off the list...salsa dancing!!

Coming from someone who has to manage her tunnel vision so they don't become obsessions, I have to keep this thought in the front of my mind: "This is fun, but this isn't your whole life. Don't make it." Good post, Mr. Dead.

Thanks...!!! And, BTW... There is no dancing of any sort, in my future... *LOL* There's a reason I play bass and guitar... I even had my band and I play our wedding reception...

Mr. Dead
03-03-11, 12:30 pm
There's a line in one of my all-time favorite movies... Gladiator... Where Marcus Aurelius is talking to Maximus, early in the movie... And, this line has echoed in my mind, for a bit...

"I am dying, Maximus. When a man sees his end... he wants to know there was some purpose to his life. How will the world speak my name in years to come? Will I be known as the philosopher? The warrior? The tyrant...? Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self?"

So... How will I be remembered...??? The knowledeable Sage...??? The Guru...??? The Jester...??? The Competitor...??? All of these...??? None of these...??? Or simply a guy who did his best, and was the best he personally can be...??? Only time will tell... Sometimes our actions or inactions can define what others see in us... But... Not necessarily how WE see ourselves... Some of us are our own worst critics... Some see an exaggerated version of themselves... But... How do others see us...??? And... Does it matter...???

Sometimes people get caught up in the "Legacy" that they think they are leaving behind... That, they don't see things as they are... But, those that strive to be the best version of themselves, as a person, friend, spouse, family member, are the ones that truly leave behind a rich legacy that is fondly remembered... Those that simply do it for glory, at whatever cost, will be remembered... But more for their negative traits, than their positive...

So, my brothers and sisters, perhaps we should all strive to be the best version of ourselves, that we can be... Help, the brother or sister in need, show courtesy, treat all as equals, share our knowledge, and perhaps we will leave our own rich "Legacy" behind...

Now... How will you be remembered...???

Necromatrix
03-03-11, 12:57 pm
Solid post, Mr. Dead.

I can honestly say that over the past few years my concern for any sort of "legacy" ranks right down there with how much I care what other think of me (that would be in the negative digits. Lol)... However, "be the best version of ourselves, that we can be...", that still rings true, as it should for everyone.

Shukin
03-03-11, 6:19 pm
There's a line in one of my all-time favorite movies... Gladiator... Where Marcus Aurelius is talking to Maximus, early in the movie... And, this line has echoed in my mind, for a bit...

"I am dying, Maximus. When a man sees his end... he wants to know there was some purpose to his life. How will the world speak my name in years to come? Will I be known as the philosopher? The warrior? The tyrant...? Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self?"

So... How will I be remembered...??? The knowledeable Sage...??? The Guru...??? The Jester...??? The Competitor...??? All of these...??? None of these...??? Or simply a guy who did his best, and was the best he personally can be...??? Only time will tell... Sometimes our actions or inactions can define what others see in us... But... Not necessarily how WE see ourselves... Some of us are our own worst critics... Some see an exaggerated version of themselves... But... How do others see us...??? And... Does it matter...???

Sometimes people get caught up in the "Legacy" that they think they are leaving behind... That, they don't see things as they are... But, those that strive to be the best version of themselves, as a person, friend, spouse, family member, are the ones that truly leave behind a rich legacy that is fondly remembered... Those that simply do it for glory, at whatever cost, will be remembered... But more for their negative traits, than their positive...

So, my brothers and sisters, perhaps we should all strive to be the best version of ourselves, that we can be... Help, the brother or sister in need, show courtesy, treat all as equals, share our knowledge, and perhaps we will leave our own rich "Legacy" behind...

Now... How will you be remembered...???

no wonder your banned!
Great food for thought. Leaving a legacy is important but finding true self is more important. People will see you the way they want to see you, you can't help that. I personally had gotten caught up in 'how others perceive me' and realized I was on the wrong path. How I perceive myself was much more valuable, but not in a egotistical way. Rather loving myself, being a good friend to me.....It is easy to be good to others, hard to be nice to yourself.

DANO
03-03-11, 7:40 pm
What's up with the "banned"???

I would not even want to know how I will be remembered.....

Phil800101
03-08-11, 12:29 pm
Deep shit bro.

Mr. Dead
03-08-11, 12:33 pm
Solid post, Mr. Dead.

I can honestly say that over the past few years my concern for any sort of "legacy" ranks right down there with how much I care what other think of me (that would be in the negative digits. Lol)... However, "be the best version of ourselves, that we can be...", that still rings true, as it should for everyone.

no wonder your banned!
Great food for thought. Leaving a legacy is important but finding true self is more important. People will see you the way they want to see you, you can't help that. I personally had gotten caught up in 'how others perceive me' and realized I was on the wrong path. How I perceive myself was much more valuable, but not in a egotistical way. Rather loving myself, being a good friend to me.....It is easy to be good to others, hard to be nice to yourself.

What's up with the "banned"???

I would not even want to know how I will be remembered.....

Deep shit bro.

Thanks, guys... As I've gotten "older", I've started getting a bit more philosophical... But, too many people get wrapped up in the end result, (Their "Legacy"...), that sometimes they forget to be a good person, on the way...

Mr. Dead
03-24-11, 5:20 pm
Just realized, that I've gone over 20,000 posts, in here... Time flies... I have to say, that I never even thought that I would reach this "milestone"... Especially, as quick as I did... *LOL*

DANO
03-24-11, 6:05 pm
Even banning him cant keep him from posting!! <cheesy grin>

Mr. Dead
03-25-11, 3:07 pm
Even banning him cant keep him from posting!! <cheesy grin>

I think your quote, that's in my sig, would explain that... *LOL*

Shukin
03-25-11, 6:31 pm
Just realized, that I've gone over 20,000 posts, in here... Time flies... I have to say, that I never even thought that I would reach this "milestone"... Especially, as quick as I did... *LOL*

Now if your numbers in the gym were like that it would really be impressive........lol

How goes it Dead man?

Mr. Dead
03-29-11, 1:17 pm
Now if your numbers in the gym were like that it would really be impressive........lol

How goes it Dead man?

Good thing I don't get asked how much I bench, onstage... *LOL*

Mr. Dead
03-29-11, 1:27 pm
Gotta get this off my chest, as it JUST happened... Here I am, minding my own business, helping one of my patients with a medication renewal... And, I hear "Clackity-clack-clack-THUD"...!!! This completely demented woman tried to take her motorized scooter up the escalator...!!! I sprint, and get up behind her... Stabilize the scooter, as she was tipping backwards... And, then some moron hit's the emergency stop...!!! Jerking me, the scooter, and the lady on the scooter... It turns out, that the woman is actually suffering from SEVERE dementia (She can't speak, doesn't understand anything, etc)... She starts batting, and slapping me... As I am trying to keep her from flipping completely over, in the scooter... Now, by this time, everyone and their Mother, that thinks they're gonna get some credit, comes up with 50,000 ideas... All of them, the wrong one... Now, to complicate things... When the moron hit the emergency stop... They fried out the starting mechanism for the escalator... Just fickin' great... Demented woman smacking me around, surrounded by a sea of morons, and holding up a scooter uphill... Eventually, I get it in neutral, and take the keys... And, slowly ease her back down the escalator... Why in the world this woman had a scooter capable of reaching 30mph is beyond me... So... When your loved ones get to that point... Treat it like drinking and driving, and take the keys... Arms and shoulders are trashed...

DANO
03-29-11, 2:56 pm
.....speachless..... When you make something idiot-proof, they just build a better idiot!

Necromatrix
03-29-11, 3:30 pm
Human gene pool, say hello to my good friend Drano... Wow.

Phil800101
03-29-11, 4:03 pm
Wow, just wow.

Mr. Dead
04-04-11, 1:18 pm
.....speachless..... When you make something idiot-proof, they just build a better idiot!

Human gene pool, say hello to my good friend Drano... Wow.

Wow, just wow.

Sadly, she couldn't help it... She has dementia...

Mr. Dead
04-13-11, 2:40 pm
I've been pondering this word, as of late... And, the more I think about it... The more I feel, that the word normal should not exist...

For example... I get up at 5am, to the barks of Igor and Mozart, telling me that I must serve them breakfast... Which, I obediently do... Then, I make my way downstairs, to make sure that my coyote, ducks, and tortoise are fed and watered, as well... I check outside, to make sure that there is food and water, for the raccoons... On occasion, I see a deer in the yard... I then finish getting dressed and getting ready for work... I make sure that my supplement bag is fully prepared... Make sure that my gym bag is ready... And, then get in my car...

From there, I go through 4 towns... Each with their school districts and school buses... And, through another county... I then pass through the boundaries, of my workplace... During which time, I hear gunfire, mortars, cannons, helicopters, and grenades... I have to slow down for formations on the road, and make way for strykers and tanks... I get to the parking lot, and then start on my half mile hike to the clinic (Yes, I measured...)

I muddle through my day, as a nurse, instructor, and computer "guru"... Then, off to the gym, on base... And, afterwards, I get to repeat my 90 minute drive back home... And repeat it al, the next day...

I've been told by friends and co-workers, that this is not a "normal" existence... The wildlife... The military sounds and activities... The 90 minute commute... Are not considered "normal"... But... What people say is the most abnormal... Is the dieting, supplementation, and going to the gym... Surprisingly, I live and work in an environment, where obesity is considered the norm... A sedentary lifestyle is considered the norm... For those things to be considered the "norm", in the healthcare profession, is a sad reflection on our society... So... I'll take my "abnormal lifestyle" over the "norm", any day...!!! Now then... What's normal...???

Necromatrix
04-13-11, 5:41 pm
Nice post, and a good point.

I'm gonna stick with my usual line when normalcy is brought up in conversation: "I'm normal, everbody else is fucked up." :)

DANO
04-13-11, 5:56 pm
I fully agree Deadman. I rate on the doctors charts as "obese," but I feel better @ 190 than I ever did as a 145lb weakling! I am 36 years old and have granddaughters that are 10 and 5, We have 4 dogs, 3 cats, a horse and a goat.... Also normal.... "Normal is in the eye of the beholder".... of better "FUCK Normal"

Phil800101
04-14-11, 2:51 am
Right on!

FitPrincess122
04-18-11, 1:45 pm
I've been pondering this word, as of late... And, the more I think about it... The more I feel, that the word normal should not exist...

For example... I get up at 5am, to the barks of Igor and Mozart, telling me that I must serve them breakfast... Which, I obediently do... Then, I make my way downstairs, to make sure that my coyote, ducks, and tortoise are fed and watered, as well... I check outside, to make sure that there is food and water, for the raccoons... On occasion, I see a deer in the yard... I then finish getting dressed and getting ready for work... I make sure that my supplement bag is fully prepared... Make sure that my gym bag is ready... And, then get in my car...

From there, I go through 4 towns... Each with their school districts and school buses... And, through another county... I then pass through the boundaries, of my workplace... During which time, I hear gunfire, mortars, cannons, helicopters, and grenades... I have to slow down for formations on the road, and make way for strykers and tanks... I get to the parking lot, and then start on my half mile hike to the clinic (Yes, I measured...)

I muddle through my day, as a nurse, instructor, and computer "guru"... Then, off to the gym, on base... And, afterwards, I get to repeat my 90 minute drive back home... And repeat it al, the next day...

I've been told by friends and co-workers, that this is not a "normal" existence... The wildlife... The military sounds and activities... The 90 minute commute... Are not considered "normal"... But... What people say is the most abnormal... Is the dieting, supplementation, and going to the gym... Surprisingly, I live and work in an environment, where obesity is considered the norm... A sedentary lifestyle is considered the norm... For those things to be considered the "norm", in the healthcare profession, is a sad reflection on our society... So... I'll take my "abnormal lifestyle" over the "norm", any day...!!! Now then... What's normal...???

Perfectly said and I can relate to many points u make... I think I'll stick with the "abnormal lifestyle" too!

Shukin
04-18-11, 7:25 pm
Whats going on Dead? Is this your main thread now?

Mr. Dead
04-20-11, 3:19 pm
I fully agree Deadman. I rate on the doctors charts as "obese," but I feel better @ 190 than I ever did as a 145lb weakling! I am 36 years old and have granddaughters that are 10 and 5, We have 4 dogs, 3 cats, a horse and a goat.... Also normal.... "Normal is in the eye of the beholder".... of better "FUCK Normal"

Exactly...

Right on!

Thanks...!!!

Perfectly said and I can relate to many points u make... I think I'll stick with the "abnormal lifestyle" too!

Thanks...!!! It's just sad, that I'm so abnormal, working in the healthcare industry...

Whats going on Dead? Is this your main thread now?

Lots of stuffs goin' on... "The Deadman's Return... 2011" is my main thread... This is just where I wax philosophically, on occasion... *LOL*

FitPrincess122
04-20-11, 4:12 pm
Exactly...

Thanks...!!!

Thanks...!!! It's just sad, that I'm so abnormal, working in the healthcare industry...

Lots of stuffs goin' on... "The Deadman's Return... 2011" is my main thread... This is just where I wax philosophically, on occasion... *LOL*

=)

Bruiser
04-21-11, 7:08 am
Yo Dead, this really perked up my day. Thanks bro. I get really sick of hearing the word "abnormal". Not just the bodybuilding lifestyle, but my appearance, and my family. I'm covered in solid tattoos from jaw to my waist in a town of less than 4,000 people (I can actually say that I have more tattoos than my ENTIRE town combined). I keep pushing local businesses to carry healthier options for food (talk about getting looked at like an alien). Most of all, my 5 Year old has Autism and we're constantly stared at by people out in public, or constantly studied by his doctors and therapists. But I would rather live his life, than that of the "Normal" people in my town. I just wanna scream, "He's happy, I'm happy... LEAVE US THE F*** ALONE!!!" Thanks again Dead. Didn't mean to vent too much on your thread.

Mr. Dead
06-16-11, 12:35 pm
Gotta get this off my chest, as it JUST happened... Here I am, minding my own business, helping one of my patients with a medication renewal... And, I hear "Clackity-clack-clack-THUD"...!!! This completely demented woman tried to take her motorized scooter up the escalator...!!! I sprint, and get up behind her... Stabilize the scooter, as she was tipping backwards... And, then some moron hit's the emergency stop...!!! Jerking me, the scooter, and the lady on the scooter... It turns out, that the woman is actually suffering from SEVERE dementia (She can't speak, doesn't understand anything, etc)... She starts batting, and slapping me... As I am trying to keep her from flipping completely over, in the scooter... Now, by this time, everyone and their Mother, that thinks they're gonna get some credit, comes up with 50,000 ideas... All of them, the wrong one... Now, to complicate things... When the moron hit the emergency stop... They fried out the starting mechanism for the escalator... Just fickin' great... Demented woman smacking me around, surrounded by a sea of morons, and holding up a scooter uphill... Eventually, I get it in neutral, and take the keys... And, slowly ease her back down the escalator... Why in the world this woman had a scooter capable of reaching 30mph is beyond me... So... When your loved ones get to that point... Treat it like drinking and driving, and take the keys... Arms and shoulders are trashed...

Well, after 2 1/2 months, evidently, I'm getting a "Patient Safety Award", for this... Go figure... I have to look all neat and purty, for the Hospital Commander to have an "Awards Ceremony", to present the award... I didn't have any of that crap, when I won "Nurse of the Year", last month... *LOL*

DANO
06-16-11, 12:48 pm
Well, you might get to the "neat" category, but purty....never! <grin>

Congrats Deadman!

Necromatrix
06-16-11, 1:20 pm
Congrats!

Shukin
06-16-11, 1:28 pm
Nice one Mr. D
Just wear an Animal T

Phil800101
06-16-11, 2:23 pm
Congrats!

Wear a Canadian Tuxedo, lol.

Mr. Dead
06-21-11, 3:36 pm
Well, you might get to the "neat" category, but purty....never! <grin>

Congrats Deadman!

Congrats!

Nice one Mr. D
Just wear an Animal T

Congrats!

Thanks, guys...!!! Here's the pic, from the ceremony...

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm25/mrdead1/Chris_Gumm_Joseph_Tyler_jpg.jpg

Aggression
06-21-11, 3:59 pm
niCe. Congratulations on the award.

Mr. Dead
06-21-11, 5:43 pm
niCe. Congratulations on the award.

Thanks...!!!

Stone_Ghost
07-13-11, 1:45 am
Congrats!

Ill Canadian Tuxedo you Phil!

Stone_Ghost
07-13-11, 1:46 am
Also, congrats dude.

Mr. Dead
08-17-11, 11:09 am
Okay... As some of you know... I had a pretty deep and dark depression, after I had to back out of my show... For all intents and purposes, I was clinically depressed... I ate my way all the way back up to 198, in a period of 2 weeks... No gym, no enjoyment, just stuffing my face and feeling sorry for myself... Those that know me, know that I don't stay down for long... This time... I almost did... I considered walking away from everything... Well, not "everything", but the gym, competing, being on here, my duties here, things like that...

Luckily, I caught myself... New plan... New outlook... Lots of things coming up...

I'll be definitely getting my personal trainer certification, as well as certifications in sports and fitness nutrition... This has always been a goal of mine, but I just kept putting it off... As a nurse, I'm working in what should be the healthiest field... Sadly, it's overrun by rampant morbid obesity... Time to change all of that... Time to help stop this epidemic, instead of just watching and griping about it...

I've taken on a bit more responsibility, here with Universal... Behind the scenes work... Nothing flashy, but things that need to get done... I look forward to the challenge...

And, finally... I WILL be competing in April... And, trying to qualify for Team Universe... I've been training like a mad man... Getting the diet set, for perfect growth... Getting my supplement stack perfected... A fire has been lit... And, to those that I will be competing against, I have only one thing to say... Monsters DO lurk in the dark...

Shukin
08-17-11, 11:34 am
Listen Mr. Dead I hear you my man, life is a constant test of your will.
Like I said before, give me a call if you need to vent about life, or if you want me to come out there and beat you senseless and get you back focused on your goals!

I appreciate you! For what ever it's worth i do.

Keep you chin up, or I'll send Higa around to make you do running man all day long.

Respect,
Shukin

C.Coronato
08-17-11, 12:27 pm
Glad to hear your back on track my friend. Do work, and take whats yours!

Necromatrix
08-17-11, 12:36 pm
Like I said before, give me a call if you need to vent about life, or if you want me to come out there and beat you senseless and get you back focused on your goals!

Keep you chin up, or I'll send Higa around to make you do running man all day long.

Respect,
Shukin

Ditto that.

Don't make me come all the way out there... I got new boots and I aint broke em off in nobody's ass yet. :)

DANO
08-17-11, 1:32 pm
Way to bring yourself back around Deadman. Life is a lot of things, and fair ain't one of 'em. I agree, sometimes it just takes a step back, take a deep breath, look at what you have, and plunge right back into the deep end...Off the high-dive!!

Kill it Brother!!

smoothballer
08-17-11, 1:36 pm
Life's a rollercoaster and sometimes a real mother bitch, but I'm glad to see you are back on track. We all fall off from time to time, myself pretty recently as well, but like you I have a new goal and the blinders are on.

Firedrake
08-17-11, 1:45 pm
Good for you for digging out, brother -- you've been through some serious garbage, and you're coming out the other side tougher, stronger, and ready to fight.

I understand depression issues, truly. Been there, done that.

Funky
08-17-11, 2:19 pm
Man when you are going through hell just remember to keep going! Way to digg yourself out good to have you back Chris!

Phil800101
08-17-11, 6:16 pm

Way to bring yourself back around Deadman. Life is a lot of things, and fair ain't one of 'em. I agree, sometimes it just takes a step back, take a deep breath, look at what you have, and plunge right back into the deep end...Off the high-dive!!

Kill it Brother!!

Life's a rollercoaster and sometimes a real mother bitch, but I'm glad to see you are back on track. We all fall off from time to time, myself pretty recently as well, but like you I have a new goal and the blinders are on.

Good for you for digging out, brother -- you've been through some serious garbage, and you're coming out the other side tougher, stronger, and ready to fight.

Man when you are going through hell just remember to keep going! Way to digg yourself out good to have you back Chris!

Agreed!

Mr. Dead
08-29-11, 1:43 pm

Respect,
Shukin

Ditto that.

Don't make me come all the way out there... I got new boots and I aint broke em off in nobody's ass yet. :)

Kill it Brother!!

Agreed!

Thanks, guys...!!! Very much appreciated...!!! And... This actually segues into my next post, which will be up, shortly...

Mr. Dead
08-29-11, 1:53 pm
A year and a half ago, my wife (dd2inxs, on the FORVM) renounced her sedentary ways, trained for, and ran a 12k (The Sound to Narrows run...). Unfortunately, she fell off the wagon for the last year and a half... She had stopped going to bodybuilding shows, with me... She stopped going to ABC's, with me... Diet was crap, and her self-esteem plummetted... But, she has steeled her resolve, and has begun training for a full marathon, set, for this spring... Any of you, that know her, on the FORVM, or on facebook, please give her some encouragement, if you can... For my part, I plan on doing any and every thing I can to help her meet her goal... I'm just proud of her, for getting back up, and trying, again...

Funky
08-29-11, 1:59 pm
A year and a half ago, my wife (dd2inxs, on the FORVM) renounced her sedentary ways, trained for, and ran a 12k (The Sound to Narrows run...). Unfortunately, she fell off the wagon for the last year and a half... She had stopped going to bodybuilding shows, with me... She stopped going to ABC's, with me... Diet was crap, and her self-esteem plummetted... But, she has steeled her resolve, and has begun training for a full marathon, set, for this spring... Any of you, that know her, on the FORVM, or on facebook, please give her some encouragement, if you can... For my part, I plan on doing any and every thing I can to help her meet her goal... I'm just proud of her, for getting back up, and trying, again...

That is awesome man! She will get there! 26 miles is a beast for sure! Tell her to get used to drinking more water than you do cause she will need it!

Mr. Dead
08-29-11, 2:13 pm
That is awesome man! She will get there! 26 miles is a beast for sure! Tell her to get used to drinking more water than you do cause she will need it!

Yeah, getting her to drink enough water, on a normal basis is nearly impossible... One of the Doctors I work with, has done the Boston Marathon, and is willing to give her tips, as well... (My long distance running days are looooonnnngggg over... *LOL*)

Funky
08-29-11, 2:16 pm
Yeah, getting her to drink enough water, on a normal basis is nearly impossible... One of the Doctors I work with, has done the Boston Marathon, and is willing to give her tips, as well... (My long distance running days are looooonnnngggg over... *LOL*)

If I remember right they will start her with 5K's then up that to 10K then go fo a half then back down. The last 6 miles is the hardest part that is where it takes hella will power to finish she must have a lot of will power she deals with you daily! LOL Tell her good luck for me!

Mr. Dead
08-29-11, 2:18 pm
If I remember right they will start her with 5K's then up that to 10K then go fo a half then back down. The last 6 miles is the hardest part that is where it takes hella will power to finish she must have a lot of will power she deals with you daily! LOL Tell her good luck for me!

*LOL* Thanks...!!! Will do...!!!

atrain11b
08-29-11, 2:40 pm
Just the thread I was looking for on trying to figure out how to become a beast. Been a long time!

Mr. Dead
08-29-11, 2:43 pm
Just the thread I was looking for on trying to figure out how to become a beast. Been a long time!

Where in the Wide World of Sports, have you been...???!!! Looks like you're at Ft. Sill, now... Have fun, with the red dirt, the taratnulas, and the good old Lawton are... *LOL* How have ya been...???

dd2inxs
08-29-11, 4:01 pm

Aww. Thank you. :) I am currently doing this: www.C25K.com starts off pretty easy, but don't let it fool you. It builds a base slowly for a couple of weeks to help avoid injuries. I was surprised. Awesome program!

Funky
08-29-11, 7:45 pm
Aww. Thank you. :) I am currently doing this: www.C25K.com starts off pretty easy, but don't let it fool you. It builds a base slowly for a couple of weeks to help avoid injuries. I was surprised. Awesome program!

Just never quit you will be so happy at the end no matter what pain you are in!

Phil800101
09-04-11, 1:54 pm

Awesome!

Funky
09-05-11, 8:38 am
You sleeping off in here get out of your coffin and do some work!

atrain11b
09-05-11, 11:47 am
Where in the Wide World of Sports, have you been...???!!! Looks like you're at Ft. Sill, now... Have fun, with the red dirt, the taratnulas, and the good old Lawton are... *LOL* How have ya been...???

Yeah man, have had some issues along the way with deployments, a divorce, shoulder rehab, and experimenting with CrossFit. Actually now I am in Germany and loving the weather. Ready to get back into this the right way. Ill be around for a while before my next disappearing act. LOL.

Looks like you've been taking real good care of yourself though.

Mr. Dead
09-07-11, 2:14 pm
Yeah man, have had some issues along the way with deployments, a divorce, shoulder rehab, and experimenting with CrossFit. Actually now I am in Germany and loving the weather. Ready to get back into this the right way. Ill be around for a while before my next disappearing act. LOL.

Looks like you've been taking real good care of yourself though.
Dang, man... Leave you alone, for a minute, and look what happens... Any idea how long you're in Germany, for...???

Mr. Dead
09-20-11, 1:12 pm
For those that know or don't know me... Fall is my aultimate time of year... Football is in full swing... Halloween, my favorite holiday, occurs... And, a good portion of memorable events (Both good and bad) occur... Been watching the leaves begin to turn... And, like last year, I find myself looking at the past, present, and future... The past holds many memories, but holds no surpises... The present, however, is filled with tons of possibilities and excitement... Got a few side projects that are taking a bit of my time, lately... Which will be revealed, at a later date... The planning of my yard, for Halloween, has already begun...

My house is "that house", on my block, at Halloween... Some come just to see what I've done differently, each year... Some have a "memorable" experience... (Once I had actually scared a lady bad enough, that she wet herself... *LOL*) This year, I've changed about 90% of my set-up... Which fits into the Fall category of change...

The future holds for me the unknown... I know that my time as a competitor is winding down... I know, that there are other avenues in the sport that I can pursue... But which ones... Or all..??? I'm currently mapping out a way to afford to get my Personal Trainer Certification as well as Sports and Fitness Nutritionist... I've also been pursuing some journalistic and technology paths, as well... What will happen...??? Who knows...??? But... As with every Fall season... Excitement is in the air...

unclejason
10-07-11, 5:02 pm
For those that know or don't know me... Fall is my aultimate time of year... Football is in full swing... Halloween, my favorite holiday, occurs... And, a good portion of memorable events (Both good and bad) occur... Been watching the leaves begin to turn... And, like last year, I find myself looking at the past, present, and future... The past holds many memories, but holds no surpises... The present, however, is filled with tons of possibilities and excitement... Got a few side projects that are taking a bit of my time, lately... Which will be revealed, at a later date... The planning of my yard, for Halloween, has already begun...

My house is "that house", on my block, at Halloween... Some come just to see what I've done differently, each year... Some have a "memorable" experience... (Once I had actually scared a lady bad enough, that she wet herself... *LOL*) This year, I've changed about 90% of my set-up... Which fits into the Fall category of change...

The future holds for me the unknown... I know that my time as a competitor is winding down... I know, that there are other avenues in the sport that I can pursue... But which ones... Or all..??? I'm currently mapping out a way to afford to get my Personal Trainer Certification as well as Sports and Fitness Nutritionist... I've also been pursuing some journalistic and technology paths, as well... What will happen...??? Who knows...??? But... As with every Fall season... Excitement is in the air...

I just read your story (the beginning)...very inspiring man. I can relate as I had an alcohol problem a few years back. The booze keeps a lot of people from their true potential. But it's awesome you conquered that demon.

Who are you looking at getting your PT cert through? I'm considering the same just to have the credentials behind my name for some web stuff I'm doing. Been doing some research and it sounds like NASM is one of the more reputable ones. I still need to do some more research though.

Mr. Dead
10-07-11, 5:07 pm
I just read your story (the beginning)...very inspiring man. I can relate as I had an alcohol problem a few years back. The booze keeps a lot of people from their true potential. But it's awesome you conquered that demon.

Who are you looking at getting your PT cert through? I'm considering the same just to have the credentials behind my name for some web stuff I'm doing. Been doing some research and it sounds like NASM is one of the more reputable ones. I still need to do some more research though.

Thanks...!!! Actually, I'm leaning towards ISSA...

mcbeast
10-07-11, 5:16 pm
Thanks...!!! Actually, I'm leaning towards ISSA...

You & me both brotha.

Fall is pretty much the same for me.. My best workouts tend to be when its cold. Maybe its a primal thing? Work harder cause your cold? Lol.

Mr. Dead
10-13-11, 11:03 am
You & me both brotha.

Fall is pretty much the same for me.. My best workouts tend to be when its cold. Maybe its a primal thing? Work harder cause your cold? Lol.

For me, it's more of a memory thing, as well as my enjoyment of the football and Halloween seasons...

Mr. Dead
10-13-11, 11:12 am
I'm going to break from my normal method of waxing philosophical, for a moment, and touch on a topic that I've found rather relevant... Some of you know, last week I had to go in and see the doctor... I had a Pulmonary Function Test done, and some labs drawn, as well as had an asthma attack induced... Most all of that went fine... Lung function actually improved, which they attributed to my lifestyle... The asthma attack revealed that they don't have to change my inhalers or nebulizers... Liver function, cholesterol, most hormones were fine... However... My vitamin D level was very low... Which is not uncommon, for those of us that live here in the Pacific Northwest fo an extended period of time... Aside from the ozone and hazards caused by man, that block a portion of our normal sunlight, we are very limited in our sunlight, due to rain... We've been known to go over 90 days, before having a dry day...

Vitamin D plays a very important part in many things... Here is an excerpt that touches on some of that:

"Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that your body makes after exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun. Vitamin D functions as a hormone because it sends a message to the intestines to increase the absorption of calcium and phosphorus. By promoting calcium absorption, vitamin D helps to form and maintain strong bones.

Vitamin D also works in concert with a number of other vitamins, minerals, and hormones to promote bone mineralization. Research also suggests that vitamin D is important to maintain a healthy immune system, regulate cell growth, and prevent cancer. Vitamin D has been shown to protect against the development of autoimmune disease such as inflammatory bowel disease, multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis. It also has been shown to be helpful in decreasing disease severity for those suffering with autoimmune disease.

Sun exposure is perhaps the most important source of vitamin D because exposure to sunlight provides most humans with their vitamin D requirement. The further you live from the equator, the longer you need to be exposed to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Season, time of day, cloud cover, smog, and sunscreen affect UV ray exposure and vitamin D synthesis. For example, sunlight exposure from November through February in Boston is insufficient to produce significant vitamin D synthesis in the skin. Recent data have demonstrated that getting sunshine during the summer months is simply not enough; besides, most adults work indoors for the majority of the day, avoiding the sun. Sunscreens block UV rays that produce vitamin D, so they could contribute to our epidemic of vitamin D deficiency.

It is extremely important for individuals with limited sun exposure to ingest supplemental vitamin D. Ii is still recommended that you routinely use sunscreen to help prevent skin cancer, wrinkling, and aging of the skin, especially because the ozone layer has been depleted. The risk of skin damage and skin cancer is real.

Americans age 50 and older are at increased risk of developing vitamin D deficiency. As people age, skin cannot synthesize vitamin D as efficiently, and the kidney is less able to convert vitamin D to its active hormone form. It is estimated that as many as 30-40 percent of older adults with hip fractures are vitamin D insufficient.2 Therefore, older adults especially benefit from supplemental vitamin D."

And, one other:

"Vitamin D and depression
Low vitamin D levels may be related to depression rather than contributing to the disorder.

A number of studies report some connection between vitamin D levels and the risk of depression. Low vitamin D levels may be related to depression rather than contributing to the disorder. In addition, an increased risk of depression may be related to several vitamin D–sensitive diseases. For example:

Elderly Dutch community residents with minor or major depression had vitamin D blood levels that were 14% lower than residents without depression.
Italian women with lower vitamin D levels - less than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L) - had twice the risk of developing depression. For Italian men, the risk was increased 60%.
Postmenopausal women with one vertebrae fracture had 20% more depressive symptoms than women without a fracture. Women with at least three vertebrae fractures had three-fold the rate of depression compared to women without multiple fractures. Low vitamin D levels are an important risk factor for vertebral fracture.
Syrian women with heart disease, high blood pressure, or kidney disease were three times more likely to have depression. Syrian men with rheumatism and respiratory disease had an even greater risk of depression. There is good evidence that low vitamin D levels are a risk factor for all of these diseases.
A lifetime history of depression may be a risk factor for later development of Alzheimer's disease. Depression may increase the risk of mild cognitive impairment that turns into Alzheimer's. Patients with Alzheimer’s and depression have more pronounced hallmarks of the Alzheimer’s brain than patients with Alzheimer’s who are not depressed. Studies indicate vitamin D deficiency may also be a risk factor in Alzheimer’s.
One study showed that, in the United States, vitamin D deficiency occurred more often in certain people. These people were African-Americans, living in cities, obese, and depressed. People with vitamin D levels below 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L) had an 85% increased risk of depression compared to those with vitamin D levels greater than 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L).

How vitamin D works
Vitamin D may lower the risk of depression by:

Reducing the risk of diseases that may trigger depression, such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, and multiple sclerosis.
Reducing the production of cytokines. Cytokines are proteins that increase inflammation and have been shown to be a possible risk factor for depression."

Melanin is the pigment that gives skin its color. The high melanin content in darker skin reduces the skin’s ability to produce vitamin D from sunlight. It is very important for African-Americans and other populations with dark-pigmented skin to consume recommended amounts of vitamin D. Some studies suggest that older adults in these groups, especially women, are at extremely high risk of vitamin D deficiency. It is thought that the main reason prostate cancer is so prevalent in black men is because of increased need for vitamin D.

Funky
10-13-11, 11:20 am
All I know is Vit.D helps me not to be on serious meds for my R.A. Well that along with other vitamins, minerals, and lifting have honestly saved my life. Or at least gave my life back to me!

Phil800101
10-13-11, 12:02 pm
I love fall.

Mr. Dead
10-13-11, 12:18 pm
All I know is Vit.D helps me not to be on serious meds for my R.A. Well that along with other vitamins, minerals, and lifting have honestly saved my life. Or at least gave my life back to me!

Niiice...!!!

I love fall.

Best time of the year...!!!

Shukin
10-13-11, 4:23 pm
Unfortunately the skin care doctors are winning out. Vitamin D-3 can eradicate breast cancer!

Mr. Dead
11-14-11, 3:02 pm
Today marks my 4th year, on this FORVM... Doesn't seem that long ago, when I was a bit of a timid lurker... Not sure, if I even belonged here... Heck, even to this day, I'm still tryin' to earn the name "Animal"... But... I want to thank everyone that has been with me, thus far, on this journey... Here's to many more years, down the road...!!!

Shukin
11-14-11, 4:04 pm
Today marks my 4th year, on this FORVM... Doesn't seem that long ago, when I was a bit of a timid lurker... Not sure, if I even belonged here... Heck, even to this day, I'm still tryin' to earn the name "Animal"... But... I want to thank everyone that has been with me, thus far, on this journey... Here's to many more years, down the road...!!!
At least your no longer banned!

Mr. Dead
11-14-11, 4:05 pm
At least your no longer banned! For now...

*Fixed, for accuracy...* *LOL*

Firedrake
11-14-11, 6:32 pm

Brother, you're one of the steadiest Animals I know.

Hoomgar
11-14-11, 7:21 pm
Grats broseph :) Time flys doesn't it?

Mr. Dead
12-28-11, 11:45 am
Brother, you're one of the steadiest Animals I know.

Grats broseph :) Time flys doesn't it?

Thanks, guys...!!! And yes.. Time flies... Speaking of which...

Mr. Dead
12-28-11, 11:54 am
Well... It's close enough to be able to close the book on the year 2011... It's been one heck of a roller coaster ride, this year... Planning for shows, and not being able to do them... Car wrecks... Family members with health issues... Getting my certification as a Hellcentrics Apprentice... Getting moved up to Lead Hellcentrics Apprentice... Getting a treadmill... Doing my 1st "Deadman Talkin' " video interview... All of the Seattle/WA ABC's... Rage making a trip up here... But... I truly am looking forward to the year 2012...

I've started to formulate my assault on the year 2012... Got a lot of big plans... The NPC Washington State Iron Man, in September... Getting my ISSA Master Trainer Cert... (Found out they take payments, for that one...) Also pondering doing a tune up show in June... Helping to get HRT training out to the masses... As well as training and encouraging dd2inxs for her goal of doing the Seattle Rock-n-Roll Marathon this summer... And, yes... She's doing a FULL Marathon... Sadly, though... I had hoped to make it out to the Cage this year... But, between paying to get my Master Trainer Cert. and the cost of my show... I just can't pull it off... So... Look for me giving my own unique brand of "play-by-play" on the live feed... And posting up pics from those that are there and send them in...

Phil800101
12-28-11, 4:29 pm
Sounds like 2012 is going to be one hell of a year.

Seath308
01-01-12, 4:36 am
Happy new year to you and Mrs.Dead.

Mr. Dead
01-01-12, 3:44 pm
Sounds like 2012 is going to be one hell of a year.

It's waaaaay past due...

Happy new year to you and Mrs.Dead.

Thanks, and the same to you and Ivy...!!!

smoothballer
01-03-12, 12:46 pm
Looking forward to what 2012 brings for ya Dead

Funky
01-03-12, 12:58 pm
Time to get serious put the head down and push for the goal my friend! Welcome to 2012 the best year yet!

Mr. Dead
01-05-12, 11:11 am
Looking forward to what 2012 brings for ya Dead

Thanks...!!! And for you, as well...!!!

Time to get serious put the head down and push for the goal my friend! Welcome to 2012 the best year yet!

Wheels have already begun turning...

Mr. Dead
01-05-12, 11:31 am
It's that time of year, again... That dreaded time when the New Year's Resolution people come out... Some waddling, some scared and timid, some arrogant, and some ignorant... All with that short term desire... But... Wouldn't it be nice...??? If they would actually heed the words of advice we try to give them...??? There was a family there, last night, that was in the ignorant category... They were having their rather morbidly obese child stand up in the seat of the the lat pull down, grab the bar, ride it down, and let go... So... I went over to try and explain the actual usage of this foreign device, and was told... "You lunkheads think you know everything...!!! We're trying to get healthy as a FAMILY...!!! We don't need any input from you, so go mind your own damn business...!!!" Sadly, I turned away... Knowing that I could not make a difference... Later on... A staff member came up to them, and told them to either use the machines properly or leave... And, if they were unsure of how to use them, they would gladly show them... The response: "I'm a soldier in the United States Army...!!! I know how to train...!!! You're just some lazy government monkey, sucking off the teet of Uncle Sam...!!!" The gym erupted in laughter... The staff member was a retired Sergeant Major, as welas a personal trainer... They were asked to leave... And, the final parting words..??? "It's idiots like you guys that prevent us from achieving our goals and being healthy...!!!" WTF...???

JasonG
01-05-12, 2:20 pm
It's that time of year, again... That dreaded time when the New Year's Resolution people come out... Some waddling, some scared and timid, some arrogant, and some ignorant... All with that short term desire... But... Wouldn't it be nice...??? If they would actually heed the words of advice we try to give them...??? There was a family there, last night, that was in the ignorant category... They were having their rather morbidly obese child stand up in the seat of the the lat pull down, grab the bar, ride it down, and let go... So... I went over to try and explain the actual usage of this foreign device, and was told... "You lunkheads think you know everything...!!! We're trying to get healthy as a FAMILY...!!! We don't need any input from you, so go mind your own damn business...!!!" Sadly, I turned away... Knowing that I could not make a difference... Later on... A staff member came up to them, and told them to either use the machines properly or leave... And, if they were unsure of how to use them, they would gladly show them... The response: "I'm a soldier in the United States Army...!!! I know how to train...!!! You're just some lazy government monkey, sucking off the teet of Uncle Sam...!!!" The gym erupted in laughter... The staff member was a retired Sergeant Major, as welas a personal trainer... They were asked to leave... And, the final parting words..??? "It's idiots like you guys that prevent us from achieving our goals and being healthy...!!!" WTF...???

Wow.... I think what drives me nuts the most is people not reracking the weights or putting them wherever. For instance putting a 45 where the 25 goes, in front of some 25s already there, blocking the 10s and the 35s. I don't get how people look at that and think "yeah that works". Not sure if it's ignorance or just disrespect.

Phil800101
01-05-12, 6:19 pm
Wow. I would not want to ever piss off an E-8 or E-9, retired or not...and mind you that I'm not in the service nor have I ever been, lol.

I know exactly what you mean though when it comes to the resolutionists. One one hand they are there trying to improve themselves, and you don't want to begrudge them for that. But, when year after year you see the same stupid shit and people half-assing it, fucking the gym up, and generally being dumbasses for the month or so before they quit, it's hard not to react with some anger and frustration at this time of year.

Mr. Dead
01-10-12, 2:03 pm
Wow.... I think what drives me nuts the most is people not reracking the weights or putting them wherever. For instance putting a 45 where the 25 goes, in front of some 25s already there, blocking the 10s and the 35s. I don't get how people look at that and think "yeah that works". Not sure if it's ignorance or just disrespect.

I think it was ignorance, arrogance, and disrespect...

Wow. I would not want to ever piss off an E-8 or E-9, retired or not...and mind you that I'm not in the service nor have I ever been, lol.

I know exactly what you mean though when it comes to the resolutionists. One one hand they are there trying to improve themselves, and you don't want to begrudge them for that. But, when year after year you see the same stupid shit and people half-assing it, fucking the gym up, and generally being dumbasses for the month or so before they quit, it's hard not to react with some anger and frustration at this time of year.

They've already begun to filter out... *LOL*

Mr. Dead
01-10-12, 2:08 pm
As some of you know... I will be getting my persaonal trainer cert, soon... (I enroll on Thursday...) And, this has already opened some huge doors for me... Both at work and in training... As far as work goes, I am on the "Falls Prevention" committee for my hospital... And, we are trying to do something that has not yet been done in the Army system... We are going to tackle some physical aspects of falls... Helping patients build up their core and balance... The only hold up has been the need for a certified personal trainer... After that... I will be doing evals on patients, developing core building exercise programs, and leading group sessions, as well... If this takes off like it should, it could lead to even bigger things... And, I would finally be off of the sidelines in the battle against obesity as well...

Jay
01-10-12, 2:53 pm
great news. Is this going to be a class or home study course?

Mr. Dead
01-10-12, 2:56 pm
great news. Is this going to be a class or home study course?

Thanks...!!! Yes... (Live feed of classes watched from home...)