PDA

View Full Version : How to squat for huge arms

shizz702
12-19-08, 8:40 am
A very good article from one of my favorite authors, Stuart McRobert here: http://www.noeman.org/gsm/health-fitness/49889-how-squat-huge-arms.html

Here is the bestpart of it:

"To get big arms, get yourself on a basic program that focuses on the leg, hip and back structure without neglecting the arms themselves. As you improve your squatting ability, for reps and by say 100 pounds, your curling poundage should readily come up by 30 pounds or so if you work hard enough on your curls. This will add size to your biceps. While adding 100 pounds to your squat, you should be able to add 50-70 pounds to your bench press, for reps. This assumes you?ve put together a sound program and have worked hard on the bench. That will add size to your triceps.

If you?re desperate to add a couple of inches to your upper arms you?ll need to add 30 pounds or more over your body, unless your arms are way behind the rest of you. Don?t start thinking about 17? arms, or even 16? arms so long as your bodyweight is 130, 140, 150, 160, or even 170 pounds. Few people can get big arms without having a big body. You?re unlikely to be one of the exceptions.

15 sets of arm flexor exercises, and 15 sets of isolation tricep exercises?with a few squats, deadlifts and bench presses thrown in as an afterthought?will give you a great pump and attack the arms from ?all angles?. However, it won?t make your arms grow much, if at all, unless you?re already squatting and benching big poundages, or are drug-assisted or genetically gifted.

As your main structures come along in size and strength (thigh, hip and back structure, and the pressing structure), the directly involved smaller body parts are brought along in size too. How can you bench press or dip impressive poundages without adding a lot of size to your triceps? How can you deadlift the house and row big weights without having the arm flexors?not to mention the shoulders and upper back?to go with those lifts? How can you squat close to 2 times bodyweight, for plenty of reps, without having a lot of muscle all over your body?

The greater the development and strength of the main muscular structures of the body, the greater the size and strength potential of the small areas of the body. Think it through. Suppose you can only squat and deadlift with 200 pounds, and your arms measure about 13?. You?re unlikely to add any more than half an inch or so on them, no matter how much arm specialization you put in.

However, put some real effort into the squat and deadlift, together with the bench press and a few other major basic movements. Build up the poundages by 50% or more, to the point where you can squat 300 pounds for over 10 reps, and pack on 30 pounds of muscle. Then, unless you have an unusual arm structure, you should be able to get your arms to around 16?. If you want 17? arms, plan on having to squat more than a few reps with around 2 times bodyweight, and on adding many more pounds of muscle throughout your body (unless you have a better-than-average growth potential in your upper arms).

All of this arm development would have been achieved without a single concentration curl, without a single pushdown and without a single preacher curl. This lesson in priorities proves that the shortest distance between you and big arms is not a straight line to a curl bar."

Lawnmower Man
12-19-08, 8:45 am
nice post, thanks for sharing

sanga
12-19-08, 8:46 am
100 % agree, McRobert wrote some great stuff and still does in his monthly mag.

Brawn and beyond Brawn are excellent books, so are his little booklets, get the arms one, brilliant.

simpleguy
12-19-08, 9:00 am
good read, thanks for sharing

shizz702
12-19-08, 9:06 am
nice post, thanks for sharing

100 % agree, McRobert wrote some great stuff and still does in his monthly mag.

Brawn and beyond Brawn are excellent books, so are his little booklets, get the arms one, brilliant.

good read, thanks for sharing

Glad you enjoyed the read fellas. McRobert is one of, if not the best writer in the Iron game imo. His book Beyond Brawn changed my life, and if it wasn't for him I know I wouldn't be where I am today.

For those of you who haven't read it I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT, you can read it for free here: http://www.melbook.co.cc/mbook/Bodybuilding%20%26%20Fitness/Stuart%20Mcrobert%20-%20Beyond%20Brawn%202Nd%20Edition.pdf

On Letting Go
12-19-08, 1:13 pm
Nice post! Im gonna read up on some of his articles. Seems like great work.

prowrestler
12-19-08, 1:20 pm
i just do reverse wrist curls 4 times a week

but i do them in a squat rack? does that count?

shizz702
12-19-08, 1:41 pm
Nice post! Im gonna read up on some of his articles. Seems like great work.

Dude read his book in the link I posted! It will forever change your views on training!

On Letting Go
12-19-08, 1:52 pm
Dude read his book in the link I posted! It will forever change your views on training!

Thats exactly what ive been doing! I cant stop reading it! Awesome!

shizz702
12-19-08, 1:54 pm
Thats exactly what ive been doing! I cant stop reading it! Awesome!

Awesome brother! I've shared that book and its principles with a few others here and they all have had great success wth it. Drop me a pm and let me know your thoughts on it when you finish.

BryanSmash!
12-19-08, 5:20 pm
Great post with sound advice shizz.

MVP
12-19-08, 5:21 pm
Good contribution.

I like forums like this that recognize the importance of compound movements. Whilst some of these other bullshit places make compound vs. isolation seem like their equal in value.

Squats make the whole body grow including the arms, I'm glad this has been regonized by you guys.

Elite
12-19-08, 5:40 pm
Invaluable link, thanks Shizz, i'll be reading up...

shizz702
12-19-08, 6:50 pm
Great post with sound advice shizz.
Thanks Bryan, I know you know what time it is!

Good contribution.

I like forums like this that recognize the importance of compound movements. Whilst some of these other bullshit places make compound vs. isolation seem like their equal in value.

Squats make the whole body grow including the arms, I'm glad this has been regonized by you guys.
Yea bro, you and I seem to see eye to eye on training, the compounds are where the money is at.

Invaluable link, thanks Shizz, i'll be reading up...
Right on bro, drop me a pm and let me know your thoughts on it when you finish. I'd love to discuss it with you afterward.

Littlefry
12-19-08, 8:04 pm
Very good read shizz, as you know Im all about the compounds.

redskin 344
12-19-08, 8:06 pm
which is why squats are the king of all lifts

fenix237
12-22-08, 12:59 pm
Excellent thread shizz! For many years, I went and worked out without really understanding how everything works together. But one thing I did do right was to focus on big, heavy, compound movements. I thoroughly enjoy heavy weighlifting. Now, since I been reading in this forum, I'm like a student learning tons everytime I get on here. I owe a lot of gratitude to all of you for excellent advice from people who walk the walk and talk the talk!

I going to spend winter and springtime focusing on dropping bodyfat; I'm 30% right now at 275. I'm going to do the 5X5 routine for the next year or so. I'm on a cut right now, so I need to be patient- I've been reading Bill Starr/Madcow webs educating myself. I want to start the 5X5 after my cut. No sense in trying to get strong as hell while losing weight on 2500 cals. Come may/june, I'll be ready to go!

I look forward to reading much more and maybe be able to give solid advice to others!

peace-brp

js71474
12-22-08, 1:20 pm
I am one of the ones that Shizz recommended to read the book and I am so glad I did! Once you understand the 'RIGHT WAY TO TRAIN' you can tailor your routine to just about anything you need. A bigger squat means a bigger body period....let me say that again, a bigger squat means a bigger body period!! For me this book along with Dinosaur Training changed my whole outlook on the iron game, this book is worth its weight in gold and I highly urge any of you who haven't read it to do so. Personally I have seen much greater gains using the methods prescribed by Stuart than I ever did when I practiced the "more is better" philosophy, my body structure has changed, weight has went up, strength has considerably increased, and my diet is finally where I need it to be. So yes the path to huge arms lies in a huge squat and noone can argue with results!

Glad you put this up here Shizz, you know how I feel about it, now hopefully some light will be shed on it and others can reap the benefits! Good job bro!

shizz702
12-22-08, 1:45 pm
Excellent thread shizz! For many years, I went and worked out without really understanding how everything works together. But one thing I did do right was to focus on big, heavy, compound movements. I thoroughly enjoy heavy weighlifting. Now, since I been reading in this forum, I'm like a student learning tons everytime I get on here. I owe a lot of gratitude to all of you for excellent advice from people who walk the walk and talk the talk!

I going to spend winter and springtime focusing on dropping bodyfat; I'm 30% right now at 275. I'm going to do the 5X5 routine for the next year or so. I'm on a cut right now, so I need to be patient- I've been reading Bill Starr/Madcow webs educating myself. I want to start the 5X5 after my cut. No sense in trying to get strong as hell while losing weight on 2500 cals. Come may/june, I'll be ready to go!

I look forward to reading much more and maybe be able to give solid advice to others!

peace-brp

Sounds like you got a solid plan bro and I wish you the best with it. The madcow 5x5 is a very good program and as long as you put in the effort you are pretty much guaranteed results.

I am one of the ones that Shizz recommended to read the book and I am so glad I did! Once you understand the 'RIGHT WAY TO TRAIN' you can tailor your routine to just about anything you need. A bigger squat means a bigger body period....let me say that again, a bigger squat means a bigger body period!! For me this book along with Dinosaur Training changed my whole outlook on the iron game, this book is worth its weight in gold and I highly urge any of you who haven't read it to do so. Personally I have seen much greater gains using the methods prescribed by Stuart than I ever did when I practiced the "more is better" philosophy, my body structure has changed, weight has went up, strength has considerably increased, and my diet is finally where I need it to be. So yes the path to huge arms lies in a huge squat and noone can argue with results!

Glad you put this up here Shizz, you know how I feel about it, now hopefully some light will be shed on it and others can reap the benefits! Good job bro!

Yea bro you have come a long way and I'm so glad to have been able to help. The difference in the results you are getting now compared to the past is like night and day, and serves as proof that the methods promoted in Beyond Brawn work. They worked for you, they work for me, and surely will work for anyone else willing to try it.

On Letting Go
12-23-08, 6:56 am
After spending a lot of time reading yesterday, i decided to drop a lot of my auxiliary work and focus on some abbreviated training. Its all about progressive poundages on core lifts.

OnLettingGo

Latimer316
12-23-08, 11:43 am
Good post man..this has given me an even more incentive to keep focusing on my deads, squats and bench. Lately for 2 months or so I've done a lot less arm work and focused more on the "building blocks" and it really is helping build a much more sound foundation. Thanks bro

wedge
12-23-08, 6:25 pm
I've been focusing more and more on compound lifts already, ever since Shizz helped me out with a strongman routine. Look forward to reading this over the next few days and implementing it into my workout, if it as good as everyone is making it out to be.