PDA

View Full Version : Holding weights for strength gains

redskin 344
12-19-08, 2:31 pm
As of now, my right arm and shoulder have at least 20 lbs of more strength than my left arm/shoulder. I dont wanna spend too much time working it out so it can catch up. Also I cant seem to really make it any stronger which is really aggravating me. My right arm has no problem with strength gains but I have been stuck with OH pressing 135x7 or like a month now and its due to my damn left arm holding me back. It just wont get stronger in terms of weightlifting.

I was wondering if I were to simply hold extremely heavy loads at the starting position of big upper body exercises such as OH presses and bench presses for long periods of time that I would see gains? Such as I could hold a 100 lb db overhead with my left arm or hold a 135 lb barbell with my left hand in the starting position of a bench press for an extended period of time. I am desperate to gain strength in my left arm because it is pathetic compared to my right and is becoming an obstacle.

yes.. I know it is rare for both arms to be exactly similar in terms of mass and power but this isnt even close.

shizz702
12-19-08, 2:38 pm
It might be rare for arms to be "exactly" in proportion with strength but in your case you have a serious imbalance.

For example I hit one arm standing db presses on hit 2 reps with my right arm and one with my left, not far off from each other.

You might opt to try one arm db presses. Stay within your weak arms limit till it catches up to the other.

I also think you are overanalyzing it, keep it simple. You say you are stuck at 135x7, have you tried going for 140x5, or any set amount of reps? Add a little bit of weight on the bar each session and keep progressing.

redskin 344
12-19-08, 2:56 pm
It might be rare for arms to be "exactly" in proportion with strength but in your case you have a serious imbalance.

For example I hit one arm standing db presses on hit 2 reps with my right arm and one with my left, not far off from each other.

You might opt to try one arm db presses. Stay within your weak arms limit till it catches up to the other.

I also think you are overanalyzing it, keep it simple. You say you are stuck at 135x7, have you tried going for 140x5, or any set amount of reps? Add a little bit of weight on the bar each session and keep progressing.

Yea I always to one arm db shoulder/arnold presses. They are one of my favorite exercises. I can do 7 reps of 70 pounds with my right arm while seated and only 50 lbs of 7 reps with my left. I have adjustable dumbells and for some reason the weight is easier when I have a 35 lb plate on each side than a 25+10 lb plates on each side so I could probably lift more reps with 35s on each side...but whatver

And yes I tried adding a little bit of weight to the bar so it would be 140 or 145 to the bar and I have a hard time doing a rep for some reason. My left arm is fucking retarded. Still, would holding weights in the starting postion give me any fast strength for my left arm?

shizz702
12-19-08, 3:14 pm
Yea I always to one arm db shoulder/arnold presses. They are one of my favorite exercises. I can do 7 reps of 70 pounds with my right arm while seated and only 50 lbs of 7 reps with my left. I have adjustable dumbells and for some reason the weight is easier when I have a 35 lb plate on each side than a 25+10 lb plates on each side so I could probably lift more reps with 35s on each side...but whatver

And yes I tried adding a little bit of weight to the bar so it would be 140 or 145 to the bar and I have a hard time doing a rep for some reason. My left arm is fucking retarded. Still, would holding weights in the starting postion give me any fast strength for my left arm?

I don't really know about holding weight, but I find it odd that you can hit 135x7 and not hit 140, you should be able to easily hit a few reps with that. Try for 140 next time on your barbell press and take it from there.

It's probably easier with the 35s cause they are bigger plates and limit the range of motion more than the 25s.

Here's what I would do in your situation, go for the 140 barbell press next time. Set the goal for 5-7 reps, whatever appeals to you. Once you hit that add 5 more lbs. Psyche yourself up, do whatever you got to do, but rep 140 for as many as you can, by hitting 135x7 like that your body shouldn't even feel much of a difference with 5 extra 5 lbs. Don't overdo it on the warm ups either. Warm up with the bar, then 95, then 115, then the 140.

Also, with the dbs, personally I like doing them standing, which you might want to try, but seated is fine, deload to 50 lbs for both arms. Go for 7 reps (or whatever number of reps works for you) for each arm, and add 5 lbs each workout from there. By deloading you'll be giving your other arm a chance to catch up.

I'd drop the arnold presses, personally I'm not too fond of them and the barbell press and db press is all you need.

redskin 344
12-19-08, 3:27 pm
I don't really know about holding weight, but I find it odd that you can hit 135x7 and not hit 140, you should be able to easily hit a few reps with that. Try for 140 next time on your barbell press and take it from there.

It's probably easier with the 35s cause they are bigger plates and limit the range of motion more than the 25s.

Here's what I would do in your situation, go for the 140 barbell press next time. Set the goal for 5-7 reps, whatever appeals to you. Once you hit that add 5 more lbs. Psyche yourself up, do whatever you got to do, but rep 140 for as many as you can, by hitting 135x7 like that your body shouldn't even feel much of a difference with 5 extra 5 lbs. Don't overdo it on the warm ups either. Warm up with the bar, then 95, then 115, then the 140.

Also, with the dbs, personally I like doing them standing, which you might want to try, but seated is fine, deload to 50 lbs for both arms. Go for 7 reps (or whatever number of reps works for you) for each arm, and add 5 lbs each workout from there. By deloading you'll be giving your other arm a chance to catch up.

I'd drop the arnold presses, personally I'm not too fond of them and the barbell press and db press is all you need.

Dude trust me I did everything possible. i though that 140 would be nothing..its just an extra 5 lbs..but I couldnt get a rep done for some reason. Its like im stuck at 135.

And when I said one arm arnold press, i meant the db press.. r u saying that u dont do any twisting motion at all when lifting that heavy db overhead with one arm?

shizz702
12-19-08, 3:37 pm
Dude trust me I did everything possible. i though that 140 would be nothing..its just an extra 5 lbs..but I couldnt get a rep done for some reason. Its like im stuck at 135.

And when I said one arm arnold press, i meant the db press.. r u saying that u dont do any twisting motion at all when lifting that heavy db overhead with one arm?

Hmm, very, very odd. Not even a rep?!

Are you doing them seated or standing?

Either way, in that case what you might want to do then is to do barbell push presses in which you do a standing barbell press and use your leg drive to help push it up. I gurantee you will be able to do more weight that way, and it will help you bust through this plateau and condition your body to handle more weight. After you top out with the push presses switch back to regular barbell presses and you should be able to press more weight.

And yea I don't do the twisting motion, which is what an arnold press is, a db press is just pressing it straight up. You can do more weight with a standard db presses and I personally think they are a much better exercise.

MVP
12-19-08, 5:19 pm
This sounds like a serious imbalance.

Strengthen the left shoulder by doing one arm db overhead presses.

Also, do more everyday things with your left arm. Driving, picking things up, opening doors, holding things, etc.

BryanSmash!
12-19-08, 5:34 pm
Overhead rack lockouts would be a good asset to your training, but I dont think its going to solve your specific problem. It'll help strengthen your entire shoulder girdle by overloading what your shoulders are using to holding overhead.
If you try them, here is my advice: Set the pins in the power rack so that the bar will only have to travel an inch or two, grab the bar with your arms straight, dip your knees and push up with your legs. I like holding for time, usually about ten seconds, then let the bar crash back down on the pins. Don't worry about controlling the negative portion of the lift, you have already overloaded your shoulders because of the poundage being used, (it should be much more than your max military press). Rest a couple of minutes then try again.

Id recommend trying shizz's advice first though. He knows what hes talking about.

redskin 344
12-19-08, 7:59 pm
Hmm, very, very odd. Not even a rep?!

Are you doing them seated or standing?

Either way, in that case what you might want to do then is to do barbell push presses in which you do a standing barbell press and use your leg drive to help push it up. I gurantee you will be able to do more weight that way, and it will help you bust through this plateau and condition your body to handle more weight. After you top out with the push presses switch back to regular barbell presses and you should be able to press more weight.

And yea I don't do the twisting motion, which is what an arnold press is, a db press is just pressing it straight up. You can do more weight with a standard db presses and I personally think they are a much better exercise.

I do them standing, always. I believe standing is the true way to doOH presses. When I add weiht that surpasses 135, I can feel my right arm easily pushin the weight up, but my left arm isnt strong enough for some reason and since its a barbell movement which requires for both arms to do work, the exercise just gets fucked and I put the weight back on the rack.

I know that I have posted a few threads about the power of squats and how they create gains of mass and power for the body as a whole. Im using squats to increase the weight of all my lifts, including OH presses. Obviously my left arm will get stronger but since its an overall or 'spillover' effect, so will my right so my right arm will still be significantly stronger than my left.

And im actually afraid of push presses lol. Im afraif if I go too heavy which is what push presses require, the weights gonna fall right on my head. i would much rather do one arm shoulder presses

and for the one arm OH presses, I am talking about this http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBOneArmShoulderPress.html
you gotta have a little twisting motion in there bro. It creates strength so you can lift heavier weight overhead. EVeryone does it

strivin for more
12-20-08, 8:35 am
a suggestion you might want to give a thought is your form while you bench. you might be using a different arm or hand placement which gives the right side more power on your lift, but doesnt letthe left work as hard.

redskin 344
12-20-08, 6:25 pm
My plan right now is to do one arm db OH presses along with one arm bench press and db rows with my left arm. Im thinking about doing

I am also taking great advantage of the almight squat for really getting my strength up for my left arm...as well as my body as a whole.

Should I not do any work for my right arm at all?

shizz702
12-20-08, 7:25 pm
My plan right now is to do one arm db OH presses along with one arm bench press and db rows with my left arm. Im thinking about doing

I am also taking great advantage of the almight squat for really getting my strength up for my left arm...as well as my body as a whole.

Should I not do any work for my right arm at all?

Bro DO NOT neglect your other arm. Just do like I suggested with the one arm presses and start off light and build up.

redskin 344
12-20-08, 8:38 pm
Bro DO NOT neglect your other arm. Just do like I suggested with the one arm presses and start off light and build up.

alright sounds good. Im seriously considering doing rest pauses for fast strength gains.

if I did intense squats twice a week would the progress go any faster. If not, I'll be doing them anyways.

shizz702
12-20-08, 8:41 pm
alright sounds good. Im seriously considering doing rest pauses for fast strength gains.

if I did intense squats twice a week would the progress go any faster. If not, I'll be doing them anyways.

Doing squats at high intensity is always a good thing and will only help. Just do like I said, do one arm db presses. Start with 50 lbs (warm up too), and add 5 lbs each session after hitting all your sets and reps. By doing that you should condition your weak arm and get it stronger by giving it a chance to catch up while still maintaining strength with your strong arm.

redskin 344
12-20-08, 8:45 pm
Doing squats at high intensity is always a good thing and will only help. Just do like I said, do one arm db presses. Start with 50 lbs (warm up too), and add 5 lbs each session after hitting all your sets and reps. By doing that you should condition your weak arm and get it stronger by giving it a chance to catch up while still maintaining strength with your strong arm.

sounds good

thanks bro