hjayss
02-10-07, 5:48 am
It's seems this myth will never die. But I will try again to
kill it.

The whole notion of growth being stunted by weight lifting is
a myth. It didn't stunt the growth of Shaquille O'Neal, David
Robinson, Karl Malone, Michael Vick, etc. They all started
lifting in their early teens, and all have gone on to be well
over 6' tall and star in professional sports.

Dave Draper and Arnold Schwarzenegger started lifting very
young and both are 6'1" or taller. Lou Ferrigno started
working out at 14 years old at the height of 5' 9" and grew to
6' 5" - taller then anyone in his family!

So the answer is no, weightlifting does not stunt height growth, or
any other kind of growth, for that matter. There is no scientific
evidence to support such ideas and, in fact, books such as the
Russian, School of Height, suggest that weight training may
stimulate growth. The latest weight training studies done on
teens showed only positive effects.

I'd also point out that activities such as running and jumping
create forces on the body that are six to eight times one's body
weight. The compression forces on his legs and spine are far
greater in running and jumping than they will ever be in
squatting or pressing over head.

Not only will proper weight training not stunt growth, it allows
teens to grow up with stronger muscles and bones, along with a
healthy lifestyle. It certainly benefits any other sport they
engage in.

Even though proper weight training protocols will not inhibit
growth, the risk for such occurrences and injuries are just like
anything else. If you have proper instruction and a
well-organized program,,your chances are very low.

It is important to learn the basics of weight training and get
medical clearance from your doctor before you begin.

Careful attention should be paid to correct weightlifting form, and
not using too much weight or too much stress placed on the
joints. This is still true, of course for everyone, regardless
of age, and no one should ever try to do more weight than they
can reasonably lift, otherwise injury can occur.

Correct technique will reduce any risk of injury and develop your
strength more effectively than not training with proper technique.
The greatest benefits and smallest risks occur when 8 to 15
repetitions can be performed with a given weight before adding
weight in small increments.

Remember if you are going to exercise regularly always do a
warm up followed by some stretching. After your workout take
5-10 minutes to cool down and do some more gentle stretching.
Studies have shown that people who warm up and cool down
adequately have far fewer injuries.

IntensityJT
02-21-07, 10:02 pm
if you lift at a young age it can

spanish.iron
02-22-07, 2:36 am
if you lift at a young age it can

would you like to site some references just so we know that this short sentence was not something you heard on an infomercial or something like that... No disrespect, but I don't know you, and if you yourself haven't done extensive research then how can we take that statement seriously. You didn't even give an reason explaining why.

TheNaturalG
02-22-07, 3:20 am
I don't think it is possible to stunt growth. However I myself have not growin in a couple years and have only been training hard that long. And many people I have met that are in their mid 20s believe they stunted their growth working out young. I think that is just coincidence though since I have never see sciene proving it.

Sprint
03-14-10, 2:49 pm
Hjayss gave some fantastic examples of high profile bodybuilders in his post. Dave Draper, Arnold, Big Lou.
Compare Arnie with Franco, and you'll see the difference in height, yet both started training very young.
I stopped growing when I was about 15, didn't start weight training until I was 20. It doesn't affect your growth, there's tall and short people who started training at a young age, there's tall and short people who started training at an older age, and there's tall and short people who have never trained.
Compare Gunter Schlierkamp with Jay Cutler.
Ronnie Coleman with Lee Priest.

Legacy
03-14-10, 4:32 pm
would you like to site some references just so we know that this short sentence was not something you heard on an infomercial or something like that... No disrespect, but I don't know you, and if you yourself haven't done extensive research then how can we take that statement seriously. You didn't even give an reason explaining why.

You beat me to it spanish iron. When it comes to stuff like this, I hate when people use hysteria over logic. No disrespect or anything, but when it comes to science, proof is needed. And to prove intensity's statement wrong, here is my source lol (right from my strength and conditioning book used by the NSCA for the CSCS). Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning - Third Edition 2008: Thomas R. Baechle; Roger W. Earle

"A common misperception is that resistance training will stunt statural growth. While resistance training does not affect the genotypic maximum, it probably has a favorable influence on growth at any stage of development, as long as appropriate guidelines are followed. In fact, regular participation in an exercise program that includes resistance training and weight bearing physical activities has been shown to enhance bone density. In support of these observations, it has been reported that weightlifters who regularly train with heavy weights while performing multijoint exercises display levels of bone density well above values of age-matched controls."

"Growth cartilage is located at the epiphyseal plate, the joint surface, and the apophyseal insertions. Damage, such as a break or fracture to the growth cartilage may impair the growth and development of the affected bone. When the epiphyseal plate becomes ossified, the long bones stop growing. Most bones are fused by the early 20's in men."

BigChrisF
03-15-10, 3:16 am
Growth plates can become fused from heavy resistance training. This will stop whatever section of bone that was fused to stop growing.

jitin
03-15-10, 5:40 am
hey .. i started weight trainign at 17 and still grew till the age of 21 .. going from 5'10 to 6'1
i dont believe that weight training stunts growth, in fact .. ok let me first mention this

about the study .. could it be that the teens who were studied along with undergoing resistance trainign were also specified a specific diet and sleep program .. becuase if so then they were given a diet better than the diet of an average teen and were also perhaps sleepign more than the average teen

what everyone does know is that the diet for most teenagers absolutely sucks .. too much fast and processed food - too little natural wholesome food and this does not change just becuase they joined the gym int eh summer - most teenagers even though they join the gym dont change their diet that much because they believe that lfiting weights is going to make the grow.. (btw if you are a teen and are about to tell me that you are different and you have a good eating plan .. i put you outside the category of "most teenagers" - the reason you are a member of ths forum is because you take trainign to a different level and understadn the importance of diet)

also with texting and social networking most teenagers arent really sleeping very well either

(in short, can the results obtained from a sample of weight training teens who have good diet and sleep patterns be applied to a population of weight training teens who dont have good diet and/or sleep patterns)

so unless we dont know what are the other parameters of the survey we cant really say ..

so finally my 2 cents are that whether weight training stunts growth is debatable but the lifestyle that you embrace when doing the right weight trainign program more than makes up for any stunting of growth and the net effect is positive..

theharjmann
03-15-10, 10:35 am
its a bullshit myth that parents tell their kids so they dont do it....like wanking blinds you, or eating carrots boosts vision, or eating tomatoes promotes blood production, or how cracking your joints is bad for you.