PDA

View Full Version : What is a "dirty bulk" vs. "clean bulk" ?

sin-city-customs
12-19-08, 7:14 pm
What is the difference between clean and dirty bulking? Never really tried "bulking" or "cutting" before. I'm 5-10, 190 lbs, 40 yrs old. I want to weigh 200. But I dont want to be just fat and 200. I lift regularly and have some good definition, just not as defined in the abs as I would like. Any suggestions on what diet route to take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

shizz702
12-19-08, 7:44 pm
Dirty bulking is basically eating just about anything to put on weight and freely eating junk food with no worries about fat gain. A clean bulk is eating clean healthy foods, but an excess of it to still gain weight. The idea behind a clean bulk is to minimize the fat gain and go for leaner gains.

If you want to gain 10 lbs you will have to increase your food intake. You can just simply start eating more, or you can log your current food intake and count your calories, and start with adding 500 more calories a day and go from there. And extra 500 calories should yield some weight gain. To minimize fat gain make sure it is clean, unprocessed whole foods. Regardless though in any bulk there will be some fat gain, but it will be minimal on a clean bulk as opposed to a dirty one.

Btw, you stay out in vegas?

alecto42
12-19-08, 7:45 pm
What is the difference between clean and dirty bulking? Never really tried "bulking" or "cutting" before. I'm 5-10, 190 lbs, 40 yrs old. I want to weigh 200. But I dont want to be just fat and 200. I lift regularly and have some good definition, just not as defined in the abs as I would like. Any suggestions on what diet route to take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

i guess the easiest and fastest way to to describe this is clean bulking, u eat quality foods, monitor ur calorie intake and hit a macro nutrient amount adjusting according to what the scale says and the progress ur making..

dirty would be somewhat clean quality food but at the same time they like to incorporate some burgers, fries etc.. there are so many different explanations behind this.. do it clean, this way you dont have to work so much harder on the way down, and nutrients wont have a problem partitioning with your body which it would if ur caloric intake is over maintenance and daily intake

sin-city-customs
12-19-08, 8:51 pm
What about hamburger, is that generally considered dirty? No I now live in So Cal. Just moved a month ago.

prowrestler
12-19-08, 9:25 pm
dirt bulk= a bulk that works

all i gotta say.

fat comes off easier then muscle goes on

Angst
12-19-08, 9:27 pm
What about hamburger, is that generally considered dirty? No I now live in So Cal. Just moved a month ago.

I think the terms "clean" and "dirty" bulk are all relative, someone may consider burgers clean while others consider it dirty. Just gotta remember to make small changes like use 95% lean ground beef and whole wheat buns, but at the same time don't forget you're on a bulk.

castilo
12-19-08, 10:53 pm

Thanks,
Dave

now this depends onw what you want to do. if you want to get even more bigger you'll have to had a burger or kfc or whatever. this way it is easier on the go too to eat more. but if you want to cut the fat then go and cut and don't clean bulk. if you're bodybuilding that is what you should do.

now if you an athlete clean eating will be a lifestyle in which you will be lean year round and also provide quality nutrition for maximum performance.

also if you eat more during a bulking you will have a higher energy level which will help you lift heavier.

MVP
12-19-08, 11:56 pm

Thanks,
Dave

People with fast metabolism usually do a dirty bulk. I do not recommend anyone to eat bad foods however regardless of your metabolism.

Dirty bulks include w/e you want. A A&E diet.

Clean bulks include good foods, healthy foods, causing the bodyfat% to raise at a minimum.

Diet is the key to muscle gains, why someone would abandon it I don't know. But I recommend everyone to stick with a strick nutritional plan.

MojoMike36
12-20-08, 12:00 am
The rule of thumb for me on a "clean" bulk is to limit sugars that aren't from natural fruit and to eat foods that you can kill and foods you can grow. No packaged BS like Starburst in mass proportions or muffins and cupcakes. They're empty calories in my opinion.

Eat tons of eggs, meat, fish, and chicken, veggies, and fruit. Simple. In other words eat like people from the 1800's basically. No new stuff. Its all bad for ya most of the time with the exception of meal replacement bars but you'd have to eat 3 in a meal to call yourself bulking. Forgot to add eating TONS of whole grains is the biggest key to a successful bulk, they're the unsung hero of gains.

Dirty for me in general means the following: Deep fried, smothered in butter, covered in sugar, anything really sweet or baked, heavily salted, ice cream, frozen yogurt, candy, covered in oil, and processed do not fall under my terminology of clean.

simpleguy
12-20-08, 1:33 am
I think it will depend a lot on the person... if you're a hardgainer and can't seem to put on a pound of muscle, then a 2500 calorie diet focusing on rice and tuna might not be ideal... in that case, you should eat loads of clean food, and add some cheat meals for some extra cals

on the other hand, if you put on fat very easy, a dirty bulk could turn out to be a mess... I've done it in the past, in a 6 month pretty dirty bulk I've put on like 10 lb of muscle (which is good) and about 30lb of fat... definitely not worth it imo

I think you should do the kind of bulk that suits your body and your needs

V Man
12-20-08, 8:03 am
dirt bulk= a bulk that works

all i gotta say.

fat comes off easier then muscle goes on

Nail on the head right there.

MVP
12-20-08, 12:51 pm
I would have to disagree...

You should not only be on a clean bulk to add mass, but to keep bodyfat down. For example if you are bulking and on a "clean bulk". I guarentee you it's possible to put on 30lbs. of muscle whilst raising the bodyfat only 4-5%. At this point, 30lbs. added with only 4 or 5% bodyfat making the added bodyfat completely irrelelvant.

As far as a "dirty bulk" goes. I was on one for two years and it got me nowhere.

Complex carbohydrates are essential for brain function, glycogen, and fueling muscle growth. Protein is a must when trying to get big.

simpleguy
12-20-08, 1:04 pm
you guys can debate this all day long... nobody is gonna get a good answer out of this... what works for prowrestler may not work for me... and I think as long as internet boards exist, there are gonna be debates against different supplements, different ways of eating and training

Ultimately the only right answers are:

Gregg Valentino: 'trial & error.....try different ways of dieting & different ways of training , listen to your body and adjust it till you find what's right for you!...you're unique'

Toni: 'Different strokes for different folks'

and the list goes on, but the idea is there's not a right way of bulking, whether it's dirty or clean

prowrestler
12-20-08, 1:10 pm
you guys can debate this all day long... nobody is gonna get a good answer out of this... what works for prowrestler may not work for me... and I think as long as internet boards exist, there are gonna be debates against different supplements, different ways of eating and training

Ultimately the only right answers are:

Gregg Valentino: 'trial & error.....try different ways of dieting & different ways of training , listen to your body and adjust it till you find what's right for you!...you're unique'

Toni: 'Different strokes for different folks'

and the list goes on, but the idea is there's not a right way of bulking, whether it's dirty or clean

there are more then 1 way to the one

simpleguy
12-20-08, 1:54 pm
there are more then 1 way to the one

yeah... my point is that for some, a dirty bulk will work wonders, while for others it would be a mess so they would resort to a cleaner bulk

this also applies to the countless debates on different topics... low-carb diets is another subject that is always backed and forth one way or the other... the truth is you have to find out what works best for you