PDA

View Full Version : different proteins

strivin for more
12-21-08, 8:19 am
alrite i know there's the big 3, whey, egg, and casein, but what kind of protein is in like fish or chicken? like a different ratio of the 3 or something? and is its make up like the powders? (like chicken will absorb faster than fish etc) thanks guys. and i also would like to thank everyone helping me out since i joined this forum, its an awesome site especially for someone new i appreciate it.

mfl5027
12-21-08, 11:44 am
Animal proteins are muscles. G actin and F actin broken down into thick and thin microfilaments. They're different from what you'll find in shakes, but they do contain all of the amino acids. Typically, fish is more bioavailable than beef which is more bioavaiable than poultry. Whey has a rating of 104, egg 100, fish 70, beef 69, and chicken i think is 65 (got those numbers from Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding). Their rate of absorption is comparable to that of egg, but a little bit slower.

Fury317
12-21-08, 2:32 pm
There are actually many different types of protiens. Enzymes, contractile, hormone, nuerotransmitter, storage, etc. A protien's definition is polymeric macromolecules made up of amino acid sequences linked by peptide bonds. So, that being said, what you are discussing are contractile and storage protiens. A chicken breast, while the chicken is still living would be categorized as a contractile protien, but when we ingest it, it is considered a storage protien used for a specific function (energy and muscle repair).

The other part of your question was answered very well by mfl, the protien absorption ratio is based on the absorption of an egg, which scores a perfect 100. Everything else is based off that.

If you want more info on protiens just shoot me a PM, I have notes and books on it. Im a nutrion major so it's what Im studying. Good question!

strivin for more
12-21-08, 5:29 pm
thanks guys. very informational!

Pizzalamp
12-21-08, 6:00 pm
Animal proteins are muscles. G actin and F actin broken down into thick and thin microfilaments. They're different from what you'll find in shakes, but they do contain all of the amino acids. Typically, fish is more bioavailable than beef which is more bioavaiable than poultry. Whey has a rating of 104, egg 100, fish 70, beef 69, and chicken i think is 65 (got those numbers from Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding). Their rate of absorption is comparable to that of egg, but a little bit slower.

good stuff thanks mfl