PDA

View Full Version : about to start a cut

Kludwig64
12-21-08, 12:57 pm
been doin a lil bit of research and ive seen some things sayin that the best way to preserve muscle while on a very low carb cut is to take in not only large amounts of protein but large amounts of leucine in particular. is this true?

MVP
12-22-08, 2:49 am
L-Glutamine is recommended, personally.

Low carbohydrates means low glycogen. If glycogen is low and you are active you are quicker to begin burning away glycogen and using fat as your energy source. A calorie deficient, expanding more calories then you consume is how to "cut".

Cutting requires catabolism, "muscle breakdown", where if your body doesn't receieve it's daily protein requirements it steals protein from the muscles. This causes you to become weaker. If you reach your protein requirements, you should not lose much muscle mass.

Eat high protein, not too much, and low carbs with low fats being active with tons of cardio and you will do fine.

Kludwig64
12-25-08, 12:36 am
one opinion wtf?

InkdMuscle
12-25-08, 12:10 pm
been doin a lil bit of research and ive seen some things sayin that the best way to preserve muscle while on a very low carb cut is to take in not only large amounts of protein but large amounts of leucine in particular. is this true?

many people have different beliefs. but my belief and what I have been taught by Rage is EAA's, Glutamine, and the correct amount of protein will do you just fine. Just remember you have to start out with a base # of grams ex:150g a day and see if ur still looseing weight. If you do then drop it some more and keep going. but IMO i wouldnt drop the carbs below 75g which is what im doing right now. But i know other people do like in "KETO".

sin-city-customs
12-26-08, 8:25 pm
No intelligent advice here as I am bulking until Feb 1 then going to cut. I too am interested in what others have to say though.

Kludwig64
12-27-08, 3:58 pm
i feel like i stumped everyone with this question. :-\

Pizzalamp
12-27-08, 4:15 pm

i think leucine is very important with any diet you follow...adding leucine in on a low carb diet would be a good idea...its a very anabolic substance
rememeber to take in essential fatty acids...fish oil and evening primrose oil to protect your muscle when you go low carb...if it were me and i had the choice between leucine and efas id go w/ the efas...if youre looking to budget and u have a good quality whey protein, like an isolate and youre taking in enough good quality protein sources then youre good to go w/ enough aminos acids and bcaas in your diet
im not a fan of low carb low fat...but thats just me...i like high protein, moderate good fat and low carb

simpleguy
12-27-08, 4:20 pm
as Grant said, efas are very important, especially if you're gonna go low-carb... leucine is probably the most important amino acid so yes, it would be wise to use it imo

Kludwig64
12-29-08, 12:30 am
how many grams of leucine do you guys think is sufficient enough to do the job? for the record im not going completely low carb jus probably around 100-150 a day. about 45-50 gms of fat a day and about 290-300 grams of protein a day.

simpleguy
12-29-08, 3:23 am
how many grams of leucine do you guys think is sufficient enough to do the job? for the record im not going completely low carb jus probably around 100-150 a day. about 45-50 gms of fat a day and about 290-300 grams of protein a day.

it's hard to tell... most people use bcaas (leucine, valine, isoleucine) instead of just leucine... personally I would start with 10-15g of leucine, or about 15-20g bcaas daily