PDA

View Full Version : Arm workout from Hell!

rocklockridge
12-22-08, 2:03 pm
The pump I got from this workout is unreal. Give it a shot on your next arm day.

EZ Bar Curl - 65 x 15, 85 x 12, 105 x 6, Drop Set: 105×6,85×8,65×10

Standing 2 Arm Overhead Extension - 65 x 10,85 x 8, 100 x 6, Drop Set: 100×6,85×8,65×6

Hammer Curl - 15 x 15, 25 x 12, 50 x 10, Drop Set: 50×10,25×12,15×15

Lying Tricep DB Extension - 15×15,20×12,30×10, Drop Set: 30×10,20×12,15×15

Incline Curl- Drop Set totaling 50 reps. I started at 30’s and worked down to 20’s

Straight Bar Pushdowns - Drop Set totaling 50 reps. I started at 200 and worked down to 100.

Notice the drop sets are the regular sets in reverse. It hurts so good. Most of you will probably have to go heavier. The weight I found wasn’t important. Good form with lighter weight works best. Let me know if you try it how it works for you. I think I’ll keep it in the plan for a few weeks. God Bless and Merry Christmas!
ROCK

MVP
12-22-08, 4:41 pm
Arms deserve about as much attention as bodybuilding.com

Start lifting heavy with your compounds, arms grow in proportion, if it's an absolute must add in barbell curls. Dips are always recommended (by me) personally too.

prowrestler
12-22-08, 5:26 pm
Arms deserve about as much attention as bodybuilding.com

Start lifting heavy with your compounds, arms grow in proportion, if it's an absolute must add in barbell curls. Dips are always recommended (by me) personally too.

lol, nice refrence

train everything hard

alot of volume for arms and un neccesary drop set abuse. over training easily that way. one set of drops every now and then, otherwise work on getting stronger.

rocklockridge
12-22-08, 9:01 pm
Criticism taken. I just thought I'd suggest something if you needed to bust a plateau like I did. If you didn't agree, how about just not posting at all about it.

prowrestler
12-23-08, 12:40 am
Criticism taken. I just thought I'd suggest something if you needed to bust a plateau like I did. If you didn't agree, how about just not posting at all about it.

cause its an open forum and people voice their opinion on subjects so we all can benefit?

just sayin, thats alooot for the arms. i use to train like that, i stoped and in 6 months, my arms got bigger and alot stronger with less volume.

well, alot of tricpes and biceps when i feel neccasry

Big C
12-23-08, 8:55 am
Bro you can post whatever workouts you wanna post.

I didn't grow 20 inch guns throwing a few bi's and tri's at the end of chest and back workouts....I have been training arms alone now for some time and they respond well to a lot of volume bro. Different things work for different people. Heavy barbell curls, E-Z bar curls, Hammers, Close-grip bench, Dips = GROWTH.

Yeah you're always gonna have idiots who train just chest and arms but you'll see that in any gym.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing that arm workout with the Forvm.

J Wong
12-23-08, 10:40 am
Well I went with the whole eat big and do compound movements thing do get my arms bigger, but until I started killing biceps and triceps on their own seperate days along compound movements other days in the week, my arms didn't grow. In only around 2 months, my arms have gotten bigger due to higher volume training... as the old saying goes: "different strokes for different folks".

Good workout by the way haha

strivin for more
12-23-08, 10:43 am
[QUOTE=MVP;594655]Arms deserve about as much attention as bodybuilding.com
QUOTE]

whats wrong with the site?

GJN5002
12-23-08, 10:48 am
Im so sick of hearing people bitch about not doing direct arm training. The guy is just posting his workout to help others out. Hes not asking whether or not he should do direct arm training. You go ahead and build huge biceps doing deadlifts and I'll do deads and direct work. To each his own.

prowrestler
12-23-08, 11:12 am
Im so sick of hearing people bitch about not doing direct arm training. The guy is just posting his workout to help others out. Hes not asking whether or not he should do direct arm training. You go ahead and build huge biceps doing deadlifts and I'll do deads and direct work. To each his own.

you do realise there is not A SINGLE POST in this thread saying NO ARM WORK?

MVP almost did but he never said dont train arms, he said the will grow in proportion with your body, and he included the best tricep builders in his suggestion. he said barbell curls too if its needed.

but remember, if it tuely is not needed, your wasting effort in the gym. training is only so good for you untill it diminshes gains. if it was the hardest worker who got bigger, there would be alot more 300 pound bodbuilders but it dont work that way.

prowrestler
12-23-08, 11:14 am
[QUOTE=MVP;594655]Arms deserve about as much attention as bodybuilding.com
QUOTE]

whats wrong with the site?

i dont think he is talking about the site. ever been on their forum? then you'll know whats up lol

Aggression
12-23-08, 11:16 am
Nice arm blast bro. Did you ever try that arm workout from this site? Its a super set arm workout similar to yours with a bunch of drops. I do this workout every now and then when I feel I need a really intense arm workout.

Here's the link: http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=272

prowrestler
12-23-08, 11:31 am
Nice arm blast bro. Did you ever try that arm workout from this site? Its a super set arm workout similar to yours with a bunch of drops. I do this workout every now and then when I feel I need a really intense arm workout.

Here's the link: http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=272

thats how to properly use drops. its at the last set of the exercise. good selection

to original poster, the way your doing the drop sets, your gonna tax too much thats needed. you wont be able to hit up as much weight either on the next sets. so what id do is keep looking for heavier weights, then the last of the exercise, do a drop or double drop set. thats how they should be incorporated.

lol, if you ever see someone do chest that way, its funny. one of my frinds is a pec warrior and does infinite amount of intensity techniques such as the tag team(lol) bench, db press and probably on his flys too. he does drop sets to on everything. his first set he does drop sets. next set he cant even lift the weight up on db press.

dont be that guy.

GJN5002
12-23-08, 1:10 pm
you do realise there is not A SINGLE POST in this thread saying NO ARM WORK?

MVP almost did but he never said dont train arms, he said the will grow in proportion with your body, and he included the best tricep builders in his suggestion. he said barbell curls too if its needed.

but remember, if it tuely is not needed, your wasting effort in the gym. training is only so good for you untill it diminshes gains. if it was the hardest worker who got bigger, there would be alot more 300 pound bodbuilders but it dont work that way.

It is constanlty alluded to on this site ( that arm training is a waste). yes there are people who over train them and the excessive use of drop sets is a prime example.

I totally diagree that its a wasted effort in the gym, and I beleive the hardest workers do get the biggest. Being a 300 lb bodybuilder has a lot more to do with genetics and magical supplements if you know what Im saying.

prowrestler
12-23-08, 1:37 pm
It is constanlty alluded to on this site ( that arm training is a waste). yes there are people who over train them and the excessive use of drop sets is a prime example.

I totally diagree that its a wasted effort in the gym, and I beleive the hardest workers do get the biggest. Being a 300 lb bodybuilder has a lot more to do with genetics and magical supplements if you know what Im saying.

ok, there are way more bodybuilders that are under 300 pounds that use a.a.s. then over 300 who do.

its not just steroids. its not just hard work. its called genetics. you can work your ass off as hard as you like, if you dont got the genetics for it, you wont get there.

not to say you cant make great improvments but everyone has a limit whether they like it or not.

and yes, it is wasted effort if it doesnt give you enough positive protien turnover. thats how you gain wieght. being in a positive protien turnover ratio. training is catabolic but will boost your positive pro turnover but also take away from it at the same time. after a certain point, it does little good and alot of bad.

work your ass off as hard as you like, if it aint benefiting you, your just wasteing your time.

GJN5002
12-23-08, 2:15 pm
ok, there are way more bodybuilders that are under 300 pounds that use a.a.s. then over 300 who do.

its not just steroids. its not just hard work. its called genetics. you can work your ass off as hard as you like, if you dont got the genetics for it, you wont get there.

not to say you cant make great improvments but everyone has a limit whether they like it or not.

and yes, it is wasted effort if it doesnt give you enough positive protien turnover. thats how you gain wieght. being in a positive protien turnover ratio. training is catabolic but will boost your positive pro turnover but also take away from it at the same time. after a certain point, it does little good and alot of bad.

work your ass off as hard as you like, if it aint benefiting you, your just wasteing your time.

Im well aware of genetics, acutally I clearly stated its genetics if you read my post. Most people do not have the genetic potential to get over 300lbs with a reasonable bf percentage. Im aware of all of this, we both are well aware of the muscle building process so I dont need an 8th grade biology lesson on protein turnover ratio.

Im not arguing the fact that there is a point where training turns into a negative thing. Im simple arguing that training arms work for peopleso we shouldnt be so quick to tell people how pointless their arm workout is. Look if youre a powerlifter/strongman, arm training isnt priority 1, but most bodybuilders do train arms.

As far as working your ass off, we arent talking about doing two a days and training arms 6 times a week. If youre overtraining, youre under eating IMO.

No disrepect to you, I just want to make that clear, Im just debating with you.

prowrestler
12-23-08, 2:26 pm
Im well aware of genetics, acutally I clearly stated its genetics if you read my post. Most people do not have the genetic potential to get over 300lbs with a reasonable bf percentage. Im aware of all of this, we both are well aware of the muscle building process so I dont need an 8th grade biology lesson on protein turnover ratio.

Im not arguing the fact that there is a point where training turns into a negative thing. Im simple arguing that training arms work for peopleso we shouldnt be so quick to tell people how pointless their arm workout is. Look if youre a powerlifter/strongman, arm training isnt priority 1, but most bodybuilders do train arms.

As far as working your ass off, we arent talking about doing two a days and training arms 6 times a week. If youre overtraining, youre under eating IMO.

No disrepect to you, I just want to make that clear, Im just debating with you.

i work with a biochemist who wrote the papers on human growth hormone. i can really go into detail with just how important protien turnover is.

look though, for a natural bodybuilder, alot of them over tax arms alot. i see it every day in the gym. the drop set frenzy is what i was concerned about. they are VERY TAXING.
how i see it, i go in, push the benefits as far as possible and leave when they can no longer go anyfurther and will only go down.

yep, purley debating hear with you. its what interacting with people who do similar things is all about. better then alot of people bitching. debating actually does something positive

Pizzalamp
12-23-08, 9:14 pm
good arm workout my friend
thanks for posting it

J Wong
12-23-08, 9:37 pm
I understand what prowrestler is saying about the dropset however. Now that I think about it, I used to be dropset and superset crazy when directly training my arms.. they didn't grow. Now that I just go heavy and high volume on arms with a dropset at the end, they are starting to grow.

Histo55
12-23-08, 11:03 pm
sometimes you need to switch things up and give your arms a good shock...the key to life is variety.....

rocklockridge
12-24-08, 1:31 am
Wow. I sparked a full blown debate. The workout I posted was done on a whim. I had done a similar workout without the drops and I wouldn't even get a pump. I feel it really came because of the drops. I have to go with more volume because my parents gave me the crappiest of genetics. I weighed 125 when I graduated. I had 10 inch arms. 10! Flexed. There is a pic on my Bodyspace. If you don't need direct arm work, God Bless you. I need all the direct work and a lot of it. On each bodypart as a matter of fact. I have to go to 16-18 sets for everything else. Especially legs. But my method worked. I am 260 now and it is all without drugs. Here is the link to the Bodyspace if you want to see the before and afters.

www.bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/rock23

rocklockridge
12-24-08, 1:43 am
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/rock23/

prowrestler
12-24-08, 2:12 am
that isnt your every time arm workout is it though?

i use to train that way, 4 years of it. but constantly over using drops and shit. i way overtaxed myself and payed with 5 injuys in a year.

i make better progress when i focus on the pounds vs intensity techniques. thats why i like powerlifting now and jumped.

rocklockridge
12-24-08, 2:45 am
No. I just added the drops for the 1st time. I am going to use this workout for 3-4 weeks, then cut it back. Here is a normal arm workout for me.

EZ Bar Curl 10,8,6

close grip bench 10,8,6

Hammers 15,12,10

Skull Crushers 15,12,10

Cable Curls 25,25

Pushdowns 25,25

I change the exercises every few weeks. I have done drops in the past, but not like I did with my new one.

prowrestler
12-24-08, 3:22 am
No. I just added the drops for the 1st time. I am going to use this workout for 3-4 weeks, then cut it back. Here is a normal arm workout for me.

EZ Bar Curl 10,8,6

close grip bench 10,8,6

Hammers 15,12,10

Skull Crushers 15,12,10

Cable Curls 25,25

Pushdowns 25,25

I change the exercises every few weeks. I have done drops in the past, but not like I did with my new one.

good selection. switch it up often with arms, igh volume, low volume, no arm day, like push pull style,

aslong as you make progress all the time. keep hitting fresh shit and reap gains

MVP
12-24-08, 4:44 am
[QUOTE=strivin for more;595270]

i dont think he is talking about the site. ever been on their forum? then you'll know whats up lol

Agreed. You and I seem to see eye to eye in bodybuilder, I've agreed with all the posts I have seen you make.

To the members whom disagreed with my remarks:-

I am not saying abandon your arms. I am saying they will grow in proportion. This is true. Arms will grow via heavy compound pushes and pulls. I promise you they will.

Bicep curls and etc. have their place in routine depended upon training goals and so forth. Training too much on your arms will not always lead to them becoming bigger. You see all these guys doing 10 sets of curls in the gym each week, a year later they look the same, I wonder why?