PDA

View Full Version : FDA Warning

Dingo
12-23-08, 11:46 am
I know lots of us dislike the fda when it comes to supps, but atleast this time it looks like they are doing their job.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/weight_loss_products.htm

i know quite a few of us go to expos and what not for the free samples, i was given some samples of a product listed on the fda's report. Just goes to show, some of these companies are not as honest as Universal. Thanks Universal/Animal for not making the list!

one of the ingredients the fda is up in arms about causes sudden death and renal failure.

Sibutramine
Side effects

Frequently encountered side effects are: dry mouth, paradoxically increased appetite, nausea, strange taste in the mouth, upset stomach, constipation, trouble sleeping, dizziness, drowsiness, menstrual cramps/pain, headache, flushing, or joint/muscle pain.

Sibutramine can substantially increase blood pressure and pulse in some patients. Therefore all patients treated with sibutramine should have regular monitoring of blood pressure and pulse.

The following side effects are infrequent but serious and require immediate medical attention: cardiac arrhythmias, paresthesia, mental/mood changes (e.g., excitement, restlessness, confusion, depression, rare thoughts of suicide).

Symptoms that require urgent medical attention are seizures, problems urinating, abnormal bruising or bleeding, melena, hematemesis, jaundice, fever and rigors, chest pain, hemiplegia, abnormal vision, dyspnea and edema.

Currently, no case of pulmonary hypertension has been noted, although related compounds (such as Fen-Phen) have shown this rare but clinically significant problem.

[edit] Interactions

Sibutramine has a number of clinically significant interactions. The concomitant use of sibutramine and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs, such as selegiline) is not indicated, as it may increase the risk of serotonin syndrome, a somewhat rare but serious adverse drug reaction.[4] Sibutramine should not be taken less than two weeks after stopping or before starting use of an MAOI. Taking both sibutramine and certain medications used in the treatment of migraines—such as ergolines and triptans—, as well as opioids, may also increase the risk for serotonin syndrome, as may the use of more than one serotonin reuptake inhibitor at the same time.[4]

The concomitant use of sibutramine and drugs which inhibit CYP3A4, such as ketoconazole and erythromycin, may increase plasma levels of sibutramine.[5] Sibutramine does not affect the efficacy of hormonal contraception.[4]
Safety concerns

Studies are ongoing into reports of sudden death, heart failure, renal failure and gastrointestinal problems. Despite a petition by Ralph Nader-founded NGO Public Citizen,[6] the FDA made no attempts to withdraw the drug, but was part of a Senate hearing in 2005.[7] Similarly, Dr. David Graham, FDA "whistleblower", testified before a Senate Finance Committee hearing that sibutramine may be more dangerous than the conditions it is used for.[8]

A large randomized-controlled study with 10,742 patients (SCOUT) examined whether or not sibutramine reduces the risk for cardiovascular complications in people at high risk for heart disease and concluded that "Six-week treatment with sibutramine appears to be efficacious, tolerable and safe in this high-risk population for whom sibutramine is usually contraindicated."[9]

bigffmike
12-23-08, 12:05 pm
Nice work, That's some bad shit.
Thats why I love Universal..

Little Z
12-23-08, 12:13 pm
Thats why I love Universal..

Me toooooooooooooooo

TylerC
12-23-08, 1:53 pm
i've never heard of any of those products myself

Alta0331
12-23-08, 2:06 pm
The products in question seem to target people looking for that quick fix and trying to find satisfaction in a bottle instead of making real gains and putting forth hard work. Gotta love this Instant Gratification society

Dingo
12-23-08, 2:19 pm
The products in question seem to target people looking for that quick fix and trying to find satisfaction in a bottle instead of making real gains and putting forth hard work. Gotta love this Instant Gratification society

not al of them, i promies i was given one of them as a free sample at the europa supershow, they had a descent sized booth and were passin them out like crazy, take as many as you want yadda yadda yadda, and it was from a company that has more than just a "quick fix" pill. just wantin everyone to have a heads up and thank Universal for bein quality.

Cellerator65
12-23-08, 5:05 pm
one of the products on there was a very popular fat burner before they reformulated it... some of my customers here have said they had increased hungry, which is one of the side effects from Sibutramine. And Bodybuilding.com doesnt carry that product anymore.

BaseballMonster
12-24-08, 10:06 am
but why was universal's GH Max discontinued?

Dingo
12-24-08, 11:14 am

i dunno its on the FDA list for hidden prescription drugs that this is talking about.

DanTheMan
12-25-08, 10:43 am
good stuff.

Dingo
12-29-08, 2:34 pm
i dunno its on the FDA list for hidden prescription drugs that this is talking about.

sorry, i meant, "its NOT on the fda....."

js71474
12-29-08, 2:41 pm
Good looking out Dingo!

J-Dawg
12-29-08, 3:14 pm

GH Max wasn't discontinued. We still are making it and have no plans of discontinuing it. Not sure where you heard this from.

BaseballMonster
01-12-09, 1:16 am
My bad it was backordered by the company so it said "discontinued" temporarily. I love that shit though, it keeps me dry and lean especially when combined with cuts.

Kinikuman
01-13-09, 4:57 am
I work at GNC here in hawaii and we got a newsletter informing us about that FDA warning and a list of products. We dont carry any of those products on the list, but people always ask us if we carry venom, and I always tell them "uhh we dont carry it but this other store does" and i tell them where to go.... oops. hehe.....

xMATT182x
01-15-09, 6:37 am
amen to animal, they make awesome products as well as universal. you guys kick ass.

mritter3
01-15-09, 11:51 am
that is why you go with a tried and trusted company like universal/animal. man i love this website.