PDA

View Full Version : Bench Shrug

BryanSmash!
12-25-08, 11:06 pm
I'm curious if any powerlifters here have had any success in using this technique to increase their bench.
I've incorporated lat (kelso) shrugs into my routine lately and noticed a marginal increase in overall strength, and now Id like to give the bench shrug a whirl.
I do rack lockouts about every fourth or fifth push workout for singles, held for time (about ten seconds) with about 200lbs over my max. I feel as though this also strengthens my shoulder girdle considerably, so I'm also wondering if anyone thinks that doing bench shrugs in addition to this would be excessive.

hawaiiboy
12-25-08, 11:35 pm
i've heard these called punch presses by MMA fighters. I imagine they would work because it strengthens your supporting muscles, which would help you have a better bench.

pedraza
12-26-08, 7:36 am
what exsactly do you mean by bench shrugs? caused im dont know what that is

wedge
12-26-08, 2:00 pm
what exsactly do you mean by bench shrugs? caused im dont know what that is

I'll second that question. I'm at a sticking point with my bench and would be willing to give this a try.

BryanSmash!
12-26-08, 2:24 pm
The bench shrug is performed by lying down on a bench, taking the weight off the supports, and while keeping the arms straight at all times, retract your shoulders to the bench, and squeeze your scapulae together. This should drop the bar a few inches.
Still keeping your arms straight, raise the bar up by spreading the scapulae apart and rolling your shoulders up off the bench. Spread your lats and use you pecs to get your front delts moving towards each other.
This movement is intended to strengthen the entire shoulder girdle to support big lifts.

pedraza
12-26-08, 4:14 pm
ok ok...ill give it a try sunday night when i go back to the gym

eric downey
12-26-08, 7:45 pm
Personally Ive Never Done Them. Rope, Or Band Facepulls Is What I Use To Work Those Muscles.

prowrestler
12-26-08, 11:21 pm
Personally Ive Never Done Them. Rope, Or Band Facepulls Is What I Use To Work Those Muscles.

but its mainly for the reverse motion of face pulls. say facepulls where a curl, the bench shrug would be an extension

i haventy done them before, it hits the pectoralis minor quite well and truly does pump the chest quite well in the pushup position

ive done the bench shrug but while doing pushups for a rehab move. done go heavy and really, aint the best accesory exercise, like, consider it equal to rotator cuff work. just prehab, no need to go heavy and risk sever injury

BryanSmash!
12-30-08, 8:07 pm
Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'll incorporate them at some other time, but I'm going to stick with what Im doing now for the time being.

T. Kemble
01-04-09, 7:33 pm
i like them alot, its hard to figure out when to mix them into your training because like you have said, you can use a decent amount of weight with it. I tried using them as an assistance exercise on my dynamic bench day and did 4 sets of 8-15 just for stimulation. kelso's shrug book is good stuff