PDA

View Full Version : how do you bench?

pedraza
12-27-08, 9:51 am
i had posted this question on training 101 and now in my journey just to get some more feed back.

i guess this would be one of those things that would be 50-50. how many of you out there come down and hit the bar of you chest? and how many of you out there stop it just above your chest? for me i stop it just before my chest trying to control the weight. i think personaly comeing down to the chest is in a way cheating....or is it. i have seen people in the gym just let the bar crash to their chest to get that momentom, as if they just try and bounce it up off them...so in closeing which way is better bros? let me know what you think

jayanticoli
12-27-08, 10:56 am
There is so many variables to the answer of this question that you could nevercome to an exact conclusion. For instance length of arms...how tall the person is?...The best answer is the one that you yourself can come up with because ultimatley your are deciding how you work the muscle and what the result is...the people that bounce the bar off their chest are only cheating themselves....you have to do what works for what gets you that proper squeeze out of your chest and what pumps you up when your done because once the weight is on the bar and your laying underneath it the only person that is gonna make it move is you.....control control control that is definately key...leave your ego at the door and humble yourself and DO WORK!.....not trying to sound shitty Pedraza but i once asked tons of questions about technigue and diets to all the pros on the forum and ultimatley got the same answer about doing what works for you....
i had posted this question on training 101 and now in my journey just to get some more feed back.

i guess this would be one of those things that would be 50-50. how many of you out there come down and hit the bar of you chest? and how many of you out there stop it just above your chest? for me i stop it just before my chest trying to control the weight. i think personaly comeing down to the chest is in a way cheating....or is it. i have seen people in the gym just let the bar crash to their chest to get that momentom, as if they just try and bounce it up off them...so in closeing which way is better bros? let me know what you think

Giant Killer
12-27-08, 11:11 am
No bouncing but I do touch the bar to my chest on each rep under controlled movement. For me the full ROM is imperative not only for growth but for functional strength.

The only problem with stopping the bar above the chest is that often guys will use that as a crutch and just keep adding weight to satisfy their ego, while form is sacrificed more and more until they are looking like lockouts.

Feel The Power
12-27-08, 11:50 am
I agree.. touch it to your chest, but don't bounce it! I personally feel like that is cheating and I don't feel it much in my chest if I bounce the bar. I like to go wide grip/close grip on different days just to mix it up. Also, I really feel it when I do dumbells for bench.

pedraza
12-27-08, 1:05 pm
i new i was going to get some good feed back with this thread. so ither way is the right way as long as the person keeps controll and maintains good form. no bounceing and no cutting yourself short while stoping the bar. for me i fill as if i am cheating myself when i bring it down and touch my chest...as if im getting a split second of releaf as im lifting it off my chest. slowing the weight down and stoping it just a **** hair above my chest and pushing it up makes me fill as if i accomplished more.

redskin 344
12-27-08, 2:39 pm
touching the bar to your chest puts too much pressure on your anterior delts

prowrestler
12-27-08, 2:40 pm
touching the bar to your chest put too much pressure on your anterior delts?

lol.........

if you dont know how to bench: YES

if you know how to bench right: NO

chest high, elbows tucked, lowered to highest part of chest and press straight up

simpleguy
12-27-08, 2:54 pm
I think it depends on what are you trying to accomplish... imo there's not a right way to do it

most times I do touch (somewhere in the lower chest/upper abs area), however if at times I feel like getting a great pump I stop half an inch before, maybe even pause it for a second

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-27-08, 4:26 pm
touching the bar to your chest puts too much pressure on your anterior delts

Strongly disagree. if touching the bar to your chest hurts your rear delt, then i suggest making them(rear delts) stronger. having stronger rear delts will increase your bench press as well

prowrestler
12-27-08, 4:27 pm
Strongly disagree. if touching the bar to your chest hurts your rear delt, then i suggest making them(rear delts) stronger. having stronger rear delts will increase your bench press as well

he clearly wrote ANTERIOR

LOOOOL!

but i agree, if it stresses any part of the shoulder, your fucking up

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-27-08, 4:29 pm
he clearly wrote ANTERIOR

LOOOOL!

but i agree, if it stresses any part of the shoulder, your fucking up

lol whoops, then either way, bring up your shoulder strength so you wouldnt have to worry about that problem.

But to answer the question to the thread. I bring the bar aboutthe upper abs while pressing them out to cut down distance.

Powerlifting style also greatly differs from normal benching.

shizz702
12-27-08, 6:03 pm
Slight arch, shoulder blades squeezed together, elbows tucked in, lats flexed, bar lowered and touched to sternum area.

Binney08
12-27-08, 11:14 pm
Elbows tucked in.. Means close to your sides right?
Man I may have been doin bench wrong this whole time.. I thought by flaring my elbows out I'd use less tris and more chest

Feel The Power
12-28-08, 8:39 am
I have watched some meets where you must bring the bar down to your chest, pause there for a second, and then press it back up..

redskin 344
12-28-08, 11:49 am
Fuck the bench press lol. Its too egostistical

Strict OH presses and Dips are better.

prowrestler
12-28-08, 11:58 am

not really, the bench is over rated but it is still 1 of the best exercises you can do

OH press is underrated, dips are in the middle but the bench has gotten popular for a reason,it works.

simpleguy
12-28-08, 12:13 pm
not really, the bench is over rated but it is still 1 of the best exercises you can do

OH press is underrated, dips are in the middle but the bench has gotten popular for a reason,it works.

good point, I like staying away from the extremes...

things like: ok, OH press is underrated (true)... now let's not do any bench presses because they become useless

or compound movements should be the base of a program (true)... now let's stay away from all machines, don't you dare doing a set of leg extensions

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-28-08, 12:20 pm

Depends what you really want. You're not going to get a thick chest by doing just OH press and dips. Big shoulders and tri's, yes, but how ridiclous would it look to have no chest to go along with them?

All 3 are essential to building thick upper bodies. Bench is only a big ego booster if thats really all you see it as.

Do the bench, your chest will thank you for it later. :)

redskin 344
12-28-08, 12:36 pm
As great as the bench press is, I believe the Strict standing press is superior. Not only is it a bigger exercise because you are standing and using your core stabalizer muscles, but you are working much more muscle groups and there is a greater range of motion as well. And Heavy Benching basically requires tricep strength and what better tricep exercise then Dips. If you want upper body pushing strength there are better alternatives. IMO I think the main reason people bench is to show off how much they can do because everyone knows about the bench press so they can feed their ego. But still its a great exercise, dont get me wrong.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-28-08, 12:44 pm
I hear ya bro, the strict press is far superior in terms muscles being utlized to perform the lift. The bench press is a powerlifting move that is used by bodybuilders but with different techinique to focus more on the muscles being worked. powerlifting is all about pure strength.

I know there a handful fo small feds out there that have the strict press as one of the judged lifts.

Both are great excersises. Both are essential for strength and mass gains, and they both compliment eachother greatly.

redskin 344
12-28-08, 3:17 pm
What gets on my nerves is all this hype throughout the world on how much you can bench. Now we have the big guys like gene rychlak and ryan kennely and scorr mendelson using bench shirts so they can bench a 1000 lbs and other idiots who use reverse bands..either you can bench the fuckin weight or you cant.. ur not impressing anyone really. What matters is raw bench pressing which is why I respect scott mendelson for being the first man to actually bench 700 lbs.

simpleguy
12-28-08, 3:23 pm
What gets on my nerves is all this hype throughout the world on how much you can bench. Now we have the big guys like gene rychlak and ryan kennely and scorr mendelson using bench shirts so they can bench a 1000 lbs and other idiots who use reverse bands..either you can bench the fuckin weight or you cant.. ur not impressing anyone really. What matters is raw bench pressing which is why I respect scott mendelson for being the first man to actually bench 700 lbs.

listen, 90% of them don't do it to impress you... I'm not in the game but I'm sure they have their reasons

ps Scott Mendelson also competes with a bench shirt on, he lifted 715 raw and way over 1000 suited

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-28-08, 3:26 pm

Just a word advice bro, watch what you say on here.

There are many powerlifters alike on this forum, I for one, that use the reverse band bench technique and other non ceonventional moves to increase our 3 lifts. they all serve a prupose.

Do some research before you start saying things you have no knowledge about.

redskin 344
12-28-08, 3:42 pm
alright my bad. sorry if i offended anyone. The bench is a great exercise. I just feel other great movements like strict presses and dips should have equal hype because they are really great exercises as well and provide great mass and power.

pedraza
12-28-08, 3:51 pm
im likeing this thread alot and i want to thank everyone for stoping by and takeing a few minutes to put their imput in. i have read nothing but alot of good points and views. and im really sure alot of people have learned alot of new stuff that they might have not known about benching. again thanks bros for all of your great words of wisdom. im looking forward to post my next question and i hope it has a good review like this one

castilo
12-28-08, 3:56 pm
i have a question. today i did db bench. while i was trying to target the chest i don't really feel it but the db feels heavy. i did 10-6 reps going down ward and heavier. my last set i rememberd using 50 lb so i think i went from 40 to 45 to 50. how can i put more resistance on the chest more?

redskin 344
12-28-08, 4:06 pm
I think benching is fun, but I never feel the amount of tension as I would like. I like pushup variations for hitting the chest, especcially hindu pushups because the circular motions gets the entire chest which is awesome. PLus it feels great doing and is great for back flexibility.

jeff00z28
12-29-08, 1:53 am
i am always 100% strict. the bounce looks ridiculous imo. if u wanna not use ur chest as much just do close grip or somethin. go down, pause, go up.

Little Z
12-31-08, 12:47 am
I think benching is fun, but I never feel the amount of tension as I would like. I like pushup variations for hitting the chest, especcially hindu pushups because the circular motions gets the entire chest which is awesome. PLus it feels great doing and is great for back flexibility.

try lifting heavier weights, if you are not feeling it in your chest, you are obviously not at a heavy
enough weight...

Little Z
12-31-08, 12:48 am
i have a question. today i did db bench. while i was trying to target the chest i don't really feel it but the db feels heavy. i did 10-6 reps going down ward and heavier. my last set i rememberd using 50 lb so i think i went from 40 to 45 to 50. how can i put more resistance on the chest more?

as i stated above, do heavier weights, a weight you still feel comfortable with, but you begin to feel
that nice pull in the chest..

prowrestler
12-31-08, 12:48 am
try lifting heavier weights, if you are not feeling it in your chest, you are obviously not at a heavy
enough weight...

agreeed

work on moveing heavier weights

if you go from benching 200 to benching 405, i doubt you'll be lacking much pec mass or atleast have improved

Mizzarler
12-31-08, 9:30 pm
I touch my chest and go up just short of locking out to keep the tension on my chest..seems to work for me, some people dont touch though and lock out i guess its personal preference

stumblin54
01-01-09, 5:17 pm
Great form and strictness + heavy but manageable weight = key to growth.

Stumblin

Ir0nClad
01-05-09, 1:22 am
Squat is the most important exercise, then deadlift, then bench press, and then military press/ power clean, and then the barbell row.

Jzepp
12-03-10, 2:28 pm
I disagree with some people on here. Your shoulders were not meant to extend behind your back...in eccense this is what you are doing when touching your chest. I wrecked my shoulders from years of touching chest. It is better to stop a bit short of touching chest...this keeps tension on the pec muscle anyway..when you go down further and touch the chest it brings the delts and triceps more into play than the chest. This is how Jay Cutler explained it and last time i checked he was Mr. Olympia.

Aggression
12-03-10, 2:44 pm
I disagree with some people on here. Your shoulders were not meant to extend behind your back...in eccense this is what you are doing when touching your chest. I wrecked my shoulders from years of touching chest. It is better to stop a bit short of touching chest...this keeps tension on the pec muscle anyway..when you go down further and touch the chest it brings the delts and triceps more into play than the chest. This is how Jay Cutler explained it and last time i checked he was Mr. Olympia.

Strong bump.

This is one of those threads that will always have traffic, as people from both sides will argue until they're blue in the face. I have no science to back up what I do. I do what I do because I've done it this way since I started lifting weights back when I was 15 years old. Back then, I touched my chest. Tomorrow, I'll again touch my chest. Now back in the day, that bar would come crashing down on my chest, bruising some bone as I sprung it back up with weights that I barely press now, 10 years later. At this point, I come down with the bar, touch my chest ever so gently, with a pause, and then explode back up. I won't change the way I press, no matter what. Science can lay ground work that argues against my way. Jay Cutler can come work out with me and try to get me to change my way. I won't change for either, or anything in between for that matter. Every one is different, hence everyone will have different limitations and different abilities.

Jzepp
12-03-10, 3:06 pm
Strong bump.

This is one of those threads that will always have traffic, as people from both sides will argue until they're blue in the face. I have no science to back up what I do. I do what I do because I've done it this way since I started lifting weights back when I was 15 years old. Back then, I touched my chest. Tomorrow, I'll again touch my chest. Now back in the day, that bar would come crashing down on my chest, bruising some bone as I sprung it back up with weights that I barely press now, 10 years later. At this point, I come down with the bar, touch my chest ever so gently, with a pause, and then explode back up. I won't change the way I press, no matter what. Science can lay ground work that argues against my way. Jay Cutler can come work out with me and try to get me to change my way. I won't change for either, or anything in between for that matter. Every one is different, hence everyone will have different limitations and different abilities.

I fully agree with you about you will have arguements from both sides. From my experience with rotator cuff problems, i can pretty much blame the barbell bench press and using too much weight and touching the chest for my shoulder problems. Again this is just my experience and opinion on the issue.

blaine
12-03-10, 6:41 pm
chest high, elbows tucked, lowered to highest part of chest and press straight up

this simple explination helps me a great deal.

Jzepp
12-03-10, 6:46 pm
this simple explination helps me a great deal.

Why would you lower to highest point on chest? That is unnatural if elbows are tucked. The barbell should fall at lowest point over chest around the nipple area.

Machine
12-04-10, 8:55 pm
Just a few ideas to throw into this conversation if I may:

No offense but you are all becoming tools or your tools...the bench press is the tool not us...we control the process.

1. Grip placement has a great deal to do with your success in the bench press. I recommend that the bench press grip not be placed any farther than thumbs directly outside the shoulders in the down position (what most would call a medium grip). This will place your shoulders in a position which potentiates and promotes continual joint integrity and will keep you away from overstrssing them throughout the press...especially as you gain competancy and strength...this especially applies to novice lifters.

2. Bar placement will also play a very large role in how much you can get out of the bench press...for the sake of this conversation, let's keep this "bodybuilding" related. Do not lower the bar to a point lower than the nipple level as this style suits a "powerlifter" more aptly and is not the way to optimally stimulate the pectoralis. You must lower the bar to your upper chest well above the nipple line. This will develop your chest from top to bottom and side to side...rather than merely stressing your shoulders, elbows, and triceps...with your chest as almost an afterthought.

3. Exercise torque and rep speed will determine your bench pressing efficacy. So many people place weight on a barbell and get caught up in carrying out their predetermined sets and reps...not a bad approach. However; their is a distinct difference between trying to press weight in an upward motion to meet a preselected standard...and moving through a nueromuscular pathway at an optimal speed which will provide the required muscular stimulation to potentiate chest growth.

Try this approach and see if I am full of shit or not.

MACHINE

Tiny1102
12-04-10, 9:29 pm

Off the chest or off boards, always with a pause.

Jzepp
12-05-10, 10:54 pm
Just a few ideas to throw into this conversation if I may:

No offense but you are all becoming tools or your tools...the bench press is the tool not us...we control the process.

1. Grip placement has a great deal to do with your success in the bench press. I recommend that the bench press grip not be placed any farther than thumbs directly outside the shoulders in the down position (what most would call a medium grip). This will place your shoulders in a position which potentiates and promotes continual joint integrity and will keep you away from overstrssing them throughout the press...especially as you gain competancy and strength...this especially applies to novice lifters.

2. Bar placement will also play a very large role in how much you can get out of the bench press...for the sake of this conversation, let's keep this "bodybuilding" related. Do not lower the bar to a point lower than the nipple level as this style suits a "powerlifter" more aptly and is not the way to optimally stimulate the pectoralis. You must lower the bar to your upper chest well above the nipple line. This will develop your chest from top to bottom and side to side...rather than merely stressing your shoulders, elbows, and triceps...with your chest as almost an afterthought.

3. Exercise torque and rep speed will determine your bench pressing efficacy. So many people place weight on a barbell and get caught up in carrying out their predetermined sets and reps...not a bad approach. However; their is a distinct difference between trying to press weight in an upward motion to meet a preselected standard...and moving through a nueromuscular pathway at an optimal speed which will provide the required muscular stimulation to potentiate chest growth.

Try this approach and see if I am full of shit or not.

MACHINE

Ok well see...this is what i read all the time for bodybuilding purposes is to touch at nipple line. I never understood that because i feel nothing in the chest when doing this. Where exactly should the bar come down to for bodybuilding purposes then?

Necromatrix
12-05-10, 11:47 pm
MACHINE

The man said it all.

Punishir
12-06-10, 12:22 am
This is some great info. here. I just thought it was a matter of what part of the chest you wanted to target, by placing the bar under or over nipples.

Punishir
12-06-10, 12:38 am
Machine or any one else that may know, where should I bring the bar down to on decline to from a bodybuilders perspective?

Upper, lower touch or dont touch my chest?

Thx.p

Machine
12-06-10, 4:30 am
Machine or any one else that may know, where should I bring the bar down to on decline to from a bodybuilders perspective?

Upper, lower touch or dont touch my chest?

Thx.p

Decline press to the clavical and yes you should touch every rep...it will be difficult so break down the weight and start lighter. This stimulates complete development.

MACHINE

Deathride
12-06-10, 1:40 pm
As the Machine says (with typical eloquence), what you want to do will change how you bench. I train as a powerlifter....I tuck the weight to below nipples, pause then force it back up (usually in a C shaped curve on max effort attempts). If I want to boost my tricep strength (for lockout), I close grip and try to touch a little higher up to stimulate hte triceps.

If I want to train my pecs, I'd keep my elbows out and touch higher and then not go to full lockout but maintain tension. If I REALLY wanted to train my pecs, I'd do incline pressing!!

Exercises are our way of building whatever attribute we with to build. Picking the best tools will give you the best results. Again, Machine says it all!

Punishir
12-07-10, 10:58 pm
Cool thx .

Machine
12-08-10, 8:41 pm
So will you update on your progress so we can find out how things are going for you?

MACHINE

Punishir
12-08-10, 9:46 pm
No doubt. I will start a Journey.
And if anyone has any helpful info. feel free to share.
Size & Strength. I want to bodybuild and be strong as fuck.

Machine
12-09-10, 9:31 pm
No doubt. I will start a Journey.
And if anyone has any helpful info. feel free to share.
Size & Strength. I want to bodybuild and be strong as fuck.

Cool...I will be watching you.

MACHINE

Altered Beast
12-09-10, 9:55 pm
All I will say is this. I perform the four basic lifts with a 5/3/1 style of Powerlifting, plus some seriously heavy duty volume with one power assistance exercise for each basic lift. The volume consists of pure bodybuilding styled movements with bulletproof form and contraction. Since I have included 5/3/1 into my lifting, after one month I have put half an inch on all measurements (without chemical enhancement). My appetite has also gone through the roof which is great for my endo-mesomorphic metabolism.

Basically, find what works for you. Every body is completely different. To say that power or bodybuilding style BP is better than the other is BULLSHIT! Power style has put inches on my chest, but than again I perform a lot of volume with bodybuilding styled movements. Power style has also taken serious pressure off of my shoulder joints, particularly where the anterior deltoid connects the pectoralis (I discovered this scare tissue issue through a physical therapist at my gym). With Pump and one scoop of a particular carb supp I use, muscle pumps are skin splitting regardless.

Hope this helps.

Punishir
12-10-10, 12:31 am
Ill have to get a better understanding of the 5/3/1 and how it works. I have 3 1/2 wks left on my current routine, so that will let me have time to get another routine ready. I put 4 lbs. on in almost 4 wks im 186 now and pretty solid. Im getting there.

Necromatrix
12-10-10, 5:32 pm
Im getting there.

That's the key right there. Progress of any kind is progress. Hell, I'm lucky if I can put on two pounds in a month, so good on you. I agree with PanterA... Your goals may be for bodybuilding, but there is nothing to say that one cannot borrow tactics from any of the other schools. If it works, great, if not, move on.

Jzepp
12-10-10, 7:54 pm
Well i can say that i have used the powerlifting style for benching...elbows tucked at a 45 degree agle and lowering to nipple area or below of chest with heavy sets of 4-8 reps. My chest has not grown at all from this but i have gained strength. I am more into bodybuilding and size gains. I just started a new routine and will try a higher rep range with lighter weights, while concentrating on lowering the weight to mid chest area with elbows slightly tucked and using the chest muscles to press the weight up instead of having the shoulders and triceps help with the lift.

music_man185
12-18-10, 11:01 pm
i have a shoulder problem that i believe is from years of bench pressing and touching my chest. now, i stop about 2 inches from my chest before i go back up. anything lower than that and i feel like my shoulder is being ripped apart from my chest. when i stop at the bottom, my upper arms are pretty much in a straight line with my chest and parallel to the floor. i've never been to the doctor for my shoulder, so i can't tell you guys what exactly is wrong with it. all i know is what movements to avoid because it is excruciating. mainly bench press (coming lower than parallel), side laterals, and dumbell flys (if i come back too far).

i certainly dont put down the guys that touch their chest (except for maybe the guys that do the "pelvic thrust", as we call it in my gym). i'm also not saying that either one of them is right or wrong. some guys at my gym comment on the fact that i dont touch my chest. i may not benefit as much from stopping a little short, but i want to be able to use/move my arm when i'm 40. its not worth disabling myself for the rest of my life to please the other guys watching me bench press. at the end of the day, i think it should just come down to what you feel comfortable with. if you can touch your chest with no pain at all, i say go for it. but if your like me, i come down until i start to feel the pain and i immediately go back up.

zavonrayenz
12-19-10, 4:31 am
Common errors. The following bench press either disabled or potentially dangerous errors. Avoid them at all costs.

# forward shoulders. Do not let your shoulders roll forward. The bad posture, bad technique and to guarantee getting a shoulder injury. Keep your chest up, shoulder blades down and back and upper back tight.
Close # Bench glutes. The distance travels often and thus easier to bench press. Although it puts a strain on your back, especially when the weight gets heavier. You are more stable when your glutes on the bench. Keep them there.
# pushed his head back. You'll hurt your neck. Tighten your neck muscles, the bench without his head forward.

Reacher34
12-19-10, 8:38 am
I personally have done different things at different points in my training. Currently, I let the bar touch my chest on flat bench, no bouncing though. On incline bench, I bring it down to upper chest/neck and let it touch. Sometimes this does not feel good though, so I may stop an inch short. I gauge it by how my shoulder complex feels.

What I am REALLY liking right now is starting with heavy incline DBs and slowly lowering the bells as far as my range of motion will allow. The stretch is incredible and, almost paradoxically, this doesn't hurt my shoulders at all.

Mattman33
12-19-10, 8:52 am
1. I recommend that the bench press grip not be placed any farther than thumbs directly outside the shoulders in the down position (what most would call a medium grip). This will place your shoulders in a position which potentiates and promotes continual joint integrity and will keep you away from overstrssing them throughout the press.

MACHINE
This is the best advice that I have gotten in a long time regarding bench. Thank you. My shoulder has never felt better.

3. However; their is a distinct difference between trying to press weight in an upward motion to meet a preselected standard...and moving through a nueromuscular pathway at an optimal speed which will provide the required muscular stimulation to potentiate chest growth.

MACHINE
Now this hit the nail on the head for me. I love this. I found myself doing a few less reps, but doing a shitload more weight. The added weight definitely put the stress back into my chest where I wanted it.

Thank you for sharing!

Machine
12-19-10, 8:08 pm
This is the best advice that I have gotten in a long time regarding bench. Thank you. My shoulder has never felt better.

Now this hit the nail on the head for me. I love this. I found myself doing a few less reps, but doing a shitload more weight. The added weight definitely put the stress back into my chest where I wanted it.

Thank you for sharing!

I live to serve my brothers...I am glad you are making good progress.

MACHINE

music_man185
12-19-10, 8:39 pm

when i come down to the bottom of my movement, my upper arms are at about a 90 degree angle from my forearms. i was always under the impression that this puts more emphasis on your chest and less on your triceps. does placing your thumbs directly outside the elbows put more emphasis on the triceps?

Machine
12-19-10, 8:56 pm
when i come down to the bottom of my movement, my upper arms are at about a 90 degree angle from my forearms. i was always under the impression that this puts more emphasis on your chest and less on your triceps. does placing your thumbs directly outside the elbows put more emphasis on the triceps?

In the down position the thumbs must be slightly outside your shoulders...but understand that performing the barbell bench press at any angle will potentiate triceps recruitment. You must also remember that this position will potentiate pectoral growth from side to side, as well as bottom to top...rather than simply stressing the area located nearest your armpit. An athlete who is proficient in the barbell bench press will understand what I mean...you should be able to direct your effort...which can most aptly be measured in your post session soreness of the chest area...at the areas of the entire chest...upper, lower, inner, and outer. The primary mover will remain the pectoralis but your particular level of concentration on the chest throughout the bench press will dictate your level of success. You must concentrate on the chest muscles throughout the movement...a wise man once said.

"When it comes to size in bodybuilding...its not important that you bench 600 pounds...it is only important that you look like you can bench 600 pounds."

Now, for me, in my life, I prize my physical strength as a point of personal pride...and I believe that size begets strength...and strength begets size. So it will always be a moral imperative for me to get stronger...as it should be for you. But at the end of the day, your chest muscles will become extremely developed if you utilize the methodology I have prescribed.

Good luck

MACHINE

music_man185
12-19-10, 9:30 pm
ok, i think i understand what your saying. right now, my arms create a 90 degree angle at the bottom of the movement. to get my thumbs just outside my shoulder, i would need to move my grip inward from what it is now. this should close the gap between my forearms and biceps at the bottom of my movement, correct? so now instead of creating a 90 degree angle, it will make a more acute angle.

Machine
12-19-10, 10:09 pm
ok, i think i understand what your saying. right now, my arms create a 90 degree angle at the bottom of the movement. to get my thumbs just outside my shoulder, i would need to move my grip inward from what it is now. this should close the gap between my forearms and biceps at the bottom of my movement, correct? so now instead of creating a 90 degree angle, it will make a more acute angle.

Sounds correct...do some experimentation.

MACHINE

music_man185
12-19-10, 11:05 pm
Sounds correct...do some experimentation.

MACHINE

ok, thanks alot. tomorrow is chest day. so i will get to find out then. after a little bit of "air benching", it seems like even with my arms straight out in front of me, my thumbs are still directly outside my shoulder. does this sound right? it would seem that your grip shouldn't move from top to bottom, and will be in the same place in relation to your body no matter what part of the movement your in.

music_man185
12-20-10, 7:50 pm
worked chest today. i tried moving my grip closer together and tucking my elbows a little bit. it felt very weird, and i tweaked my shoulder a time or two. i think that i need to lower the point of where i bring the bar on my chest. around the nipple area or maybe just a tad lower. i'm used to keeping my elbows in a straight line with my shoulders and chest, so i typically lower to bar to my upper chest almost to the bottom of my neck. i think it was trying to tuck my elbows and still touch the same place that tweaked my shoulder. when i "air bench" with my elbows tucked, it feels more natural to bring it a little lower than the nipples.

Machine
12-20-10, 7:53 pm
worked chest today. i tried moving my grip closer together and tucking my elbows a little bit. it felt very weird, and i tweaked my shoulder a time or two. i think that i need to lower the point of where i bring the bar on my chest. around the nipple area or maybe just a tad lower. i'm used to keeping my elbows in a straight line with my shoulders and chest, so i typically lower to bar to my upper chest almost to the bottom of my neck. i think it was trying to tuck my elbows and still touch the same place that tweaked my shoulder. when i "air bench" with my elbows tucked, it feels more natural to bring it a little lower than the nipples.

It is going to take some time to get the changes implimented and to get accostumed to the pathway...

MACHINE

music_man185
12-27-10, 4:54 pm
just thought i would give an update to anyone interested. today was chest day again. i tried tucking my elbows and closing my grip a little. this time, i came down lower on my chest. just barely below nipples. this felt much better and smoother. i didn't go heavy since this is all still new, but i had no shoulder pain while coming all the way down to my chest and touching. the bad part is, it may take a while to build up my strength this way because i've stopped short for so many years because of shoulder pain. now i feel like i have zero strength at the bottom of my movement when i touch my chest. lol.

Jzepp
12-28-10, 1:46 am
just thought i would give an update to anyone interested. today was chest day again. i tried tucking my elbows and closing my grip a little. this time, i came down lower on my chest. just barely below nipples. this felt much better and smoother. i didn't go heavy since this is all still new, but i had no shoulder pain while coming all the way down to my chest and touching. the bad part is, it may take a while to build up my strength this way because i've stopped short for so many years because of shoulder pain. now i feel like i have zero strength at the bottom of my movement when i touch my chest. lol.

This is how i bench during my strength bench press workouts. The only problem is that i do not feel much in my pecs at all this way. I also use about a 45 degree angle when coming down...not a 90 degree like a bodybuilding barbell bench press and not tucked close in like a CGBP. When i do ligher, higher rep work on the barbell bench press i still sort of tucke my elbows but bring th bar down more to mid chest to try to work the chest a bit more.

Does this sound right to anyone?

Machine
01-01-11, 4:20 pm

Fantastic! Dont worry about weight...only that you are stimulating the muscles of your chest, that is the primary mission.

MACHINE