PDA

View Full Version : What is Maltodextrin?

sin-city-customs
12-28-08, 2:24 pm
I know it is a carb. But is it a sugar, a complex carb? It seems to be in alot of gainers and was just curious. Is it good for you or not, if on a bulk.

Thanks,
Dave

simpleguy
12-28-08, 2:47 pm
complex carb, very high GI (higher then dextrose)

is it good for you - probably not, but maybe if you're a hardgainer it wouldn't hurt

also, if you use it around the workout then it may be fine, if you're bulking, spiking your insulin levels during and after your workout is a good idea

sin-city-customs
12-28-08, 3:13 pm
Hope its not too bad for you, its the first ingredient on Real Gains.

simpleguy
12-28-08, 3:16 pm

the fiber and inulin in RG will delay the absorption, so it won't be a huge insulin spike... but in all honesty, and some may not agree, I wouldn't recommend Real Gains if you put on fat easily

sin-city-customs
12-29-08, 4:34 am
One reply to this post? Nobody else has any useful info on this?

theharjmann
12-29-08, 4:58 am
i make much leaner gains when i make up my own shakes......untra fine powdered oats, whey protein and a spoon or two of natural peanut butter for dessert!

I dont particularly dig maltodextrin. ITs just high GI sugar as simpleguy has said. I try to stay well away from it.

Peace
_______

GJN5002
12-29-08, 1:10 pm
I dont like malto and wouldnt eat it except around workout time. The glycemic index of maltodextrin is close to that of glucose, it is classified as a complex carb but acts as a simple carb in the body.

Wasteland
12-29-08, 1:20 pm

It's a highly functional CHO that is easily digested. In this way, it's a good thing for a weight gainer.

Wasteland
12-29-08, 1:22 pm
I dont like malto and wouldnt eat it except around workout time. The glycemic index of maltodextrin is close to that of glucose, it is classified as a complex carb but acts as a simple carb in the body.

There can be a tremendous difference between taking straight malto versus a product that contains malto (as in Real Gains). Too many are overly concerned about the glycemic index, which is a limited tool for bodybuilders at best.

GJN5002
12-29-08, 2:14 pm
There can be a tremendous difference between taking straight malto versus a product that contains malto (as in Real Gains). Too many are overly concerned about the glycemic index, which is a limited tool for bodybuilders at best.
glycemic index can be somewhat disposable, but glycemic load is not. While 20g of malto might be alright, consuming large quantities in a sitting, isnt good, in my opinion. If I'm going to ingest a large amount of carbs (i.e. homemade mass shake) I grind up oats and use them because Id much rather eat 50g of raw oats than 50 g of malto.

Wasteland
12-29-08, 2:26 pm
glycemic index can be somewhat disposable, but glycemic load is not. While 20g of malto might be alright, consuming large quantities in a sitting, isnt good, in my opinion. If I'm going to ingest a large amount of carbs (i.e. homemade mass shake) I grind up oats and use them because Id much rather eat 50g of raw oats than 50 g of malto.

While I would agree that GL is more useful than GI, I wouldn't say it is indispensible. Besides, as I pointed out earlier, no one is talking about taking 50g of straight malto. You have to take other variables into account. Oats are a great food source and should be a staple for bodybuilders. That said, it is not a panacea as some seem to treat it. There are two camps--those who use commercially available weight gainers and those who make their own. Neither is right or wrong. Each has value in certain circumstances.

In your opinion, why isn't 20g of malto good? I'm hoping your response won't parrot "conventional" wisdom.

krazyassmexican
12-29-08, 2:36 pm
forget about maltodextrin and get some waxi maize

5lbs of waxy maize runs for like 27 bucks
universal nutrition creatine monohydrate is like 5bucks

sportpharma aminomax 325 Tablets is like 20 bucks

there you have a fuckin insane stack for your pwo needs that will last you for a long time and it's cheap

Wasteland
12-29-08, 2:46 pm
forget about maltodextrin and get some waxi maize

Each has functional advantages. Why completely discount one in favor of the other? I like to keep as large a nutritional toolbox as possible and use the right tool for the right job. Choice can be a good thing.

GJN5002
12-29-08, 2:57 pm
While I would agree that GL is more useful than GI, I wouldn't say it is indispensible. Besides, as I pointed out earlier, no one is talking about taking 50g of straight malto. You have to take other variables into account. Oats are a great food source and should be a staple for bodybuilders. That said, it is not a panacea as some seem to treat it. There are two camps--those who use commercially available weight gainers and those who make their own. Neither is right or wrong. Each has value in certain circumstances.

In your opinion, why isn't 20g of malto good? I'm hoping your response won't parrot "conventional" wisdom.

I said 20g of malto is alright.
I know plenty of guys can get by with decent results using malto, but I think there are better options out there.
My objection to malto as a energy source (not pre/post workout) is the fact that malto is essentially a very long glucose molecule which makes it a simple carb that is transformed into a "complex" one simply by virtue of molecule size, whereas other complex carbs will supply longer lasting energy.
Im not downing real gails, Ive used it, but like you said there are two camps of thought.
Hoefully Im not parroting info.

GJN5002
12-29-08, 2:58 pm
Each has functional advantages. Why completely discount one in favor of the other? I like to keep as large a nutritional toolbox as possible and use the right tool for the right job. Choice can be a good thing.

Also, for post workout, I dont think anything beats waxy maize simply because of the absorbtion rate, malto cannot compare.

Wasteland
12-29-08, 3:00 pm
I said 20g of malto is alright.
I know plenty of guys can get by with decent results using malto, but I think there are better options out there.
My objection to malto as a energy source (not pre/post workout) is the fact that malto is essentially a very long glucose molecule which makes it a simple carb that is transformed into a "complex" one simply by virtue of molecule size, whereas other complex carbs will supply longer lasting energy.
Im not downing real gails, Ive used it, but like you said there are two camps of thought.
Hoefully Im not parroting info.

Define "better".

While the idea of GI has improved upon our thinking of CHO from the days of "simple" versus "complex" carbs, I'm still not sure why you believe malto is not a good option? Because of its ability to deliver "longer lasting" energy?

Wasteland
12-29-08, 3:01 pm
Also, for post workout, I dont think anything beats waxy maize simply because of the absorbtion rate, malto cannot compare.

Postworkout nutrition is more than just about absorption rate.

Young&Hungry
12-29-08, 3:16 pm
If you're on a bulk, absolutely nothing you need to worry about bro. Just freakin eat.

simpleguy
12-29-08, 3:52 pm
I think this is useless... to the OP, I suppose you know your body type...

do you put on fat easily? make your own gainer and use oats

are you a hardgainer? don't worry, just eat... and enjoy the RG

Wasteland
12-29-08, 3:56 pm
Moderation is always a good idea. Some food for thought--on a cut, oats can be particularly useful with regard to "satiety". The soluble fiber in oats can produce gels which can delay gastric emptying. This leads to longer lasting sense of satiety, which can help prevent overeating. On the flip side, this longer lasting feeling of satiety can work against you when you're bulking and eating frequently. It's harder to eat that next meal when you're constantly feeling full. In this case, a highly functional and quickly absorbing source of carbs can be of benefit here. This is not to suggest that oats are not beneficial on a bulk. Oats have numerous health benefits and whole foods are preferable to supplements. But if anyone has trouble eating on a bulk because they're always feeling full, then using a weight gainer shake that uses malto or dex or whatever once during the day shouldn't be an issue.

simpleguy
12-29-08, 4:03 pm
But if anyone has trouble eating on a bulk because they're always feeling full, then using a weight gainer shake that uses malto or dex or whatever once during the day shouldn't be an issue.

yes but usually these are hardgainers, or at least someone who is not an endomorph

Wasteland
12-29-08, 4:09 pm
yes but usually these are hardgainers, or at least someone who is not an endomorph

Hardgainer? I'm not what I'd consider a hardgainer, but on a bulk, I always feel full lol. As such, I've relied on weight gainers. As I said before, using malto is not ideal in all situations, but to discount it completely is not ideal either.

GJN5002
12-29-08, 4:48 pm
Define "better".

While the idea of GI has improved upon our thinking of CHO from the days of "simple" versus "complex" carbs, I'm still not sure why you believe malto is not a good option? Because of its ability to deliver "longer lasting" energy?

Yes, I think it is inferior because it is not slow digesting. I prefer sustained release to quick release whenever its not pre or post workout. Instead of picking me apart for not liking malto, why do you think it is a good choice?

GJN5002
12-29-08, 4:50 pm
Postworkout nutrition is more than just about absorption rate.
yes it is, but how is malto a better option than waxy maize? They do the same thing but waxy maize does it more efficently.

I dont want to argue just for the sake of arguing. Im not completely discounting malto, its cheap and works relatively well, Im just stating that there are better options for some folks.