PDA

View Full Version : That Time of Year Again

Dedicated2Liftin
12-28-08, 11:35 pm
Well bros, it's gettin pretty damn close to that time of the year we all hate with a fuckin' passion...New Year's. I doubt I have to explain myself to anyone who's been in this game for longer than a year, however let this serve as a warning for those new to the iron. That's right...it's time for cell phones in the gym, bench crowding, wait 60 minutes for the cardio machines, morons hanging from the lat pull down like it's a ride at fuckin' DisneyWorld, keep your resolution for 2 weeks, fuckin' New Years. Consequently, I've been scheduling it as my off week for about 6 years now for the aforementioned reasons. Anyway, the main reason I started this thread was to see if any other Animals had any interesting/funny stories about what goes on at your gym come this time of year. Lookin' forward to hearin some tales.

Ded

Kludwig64
12-29-08, 12:34 am
haha you said it best. i train at a local YMCA so you kno there is alot of grammas and pops waitin to get their walk on with the treadmill. kids who got their parents to get them a member ship are in the weight room doin chest and bi's 4x a week... ive just learned to go midday.. which is exactly after all of the older people leave seeing as how they wake up really early. and it is also before junior high and high school let out. giving me time to do what i gotta do and get out before the rush.

Psycho77
12-29-08, 12:36 am
I have only been lifting for 9 months and this will be my first news years in the gym. The stuff you mentioned goes on in my gym day after day, month after month.

The only difference i expect to see are more people doing cardio, line at the treadmill, new top of the line celfone models, new newbies wearing new gym wear and shoes.

jeff00z28
12-29-08, 1:41 am
Well bros, it's gettin pretty damn close to that time of the year we all hate with a fuckin' passion...New Year's. I doubt I have to explain myself to anyone who's been in this game for longer than a year, however let this serve as a warning for those new to the iron. That's right...it's time for cell phones in the gym, bench crowding, wait 60 minutes for the cardio machines, morons hanging from the lat pull down like it's a ride at fuckin' DisneyWorld, keep your resolution for 2 weeks, fuckin' New Years. Consequently, I've been scheduling it as my off week for about 6 years now for the aforementioned reasons. Anyway, the main reason I started this thread was to see if any other Animals had any interesting/funny stories about what goes on at your gym come this time of year. Lookin' forward to hearin some tales.

Ded

u live in o fallon right? come up to powerbody and u wont have those problems. its like aroudn the corner from club fitness

Dedicated2Liftin
12-29-08, 2:18 am
u live in o fallon right? come up to powerbody and u wont have those problems. its like aroudn the corner from club fitness

I used to, bro...currently up in Omaha for school. Although, when I come back for break, I'll check that place out (I've driven by a few times and want to see what it's all about).

jeff00z28
12-29-08, 3:53 am
basically 10x as much equipment as club fitness crammed into a smaller place. and more useful stuff like power racks and competition benches, and monolift and a lotta types of bars. and theyre gunna have a buncha strongman stuff outside in the side yard behind the fence soon. Most ppl do usapl and other power lifting meets. So basically a hardcore gym but where no one takes steroids and are drug free. Only downfall is they have 2 full sets of dumbells but they only go to 120-not something I really care about though as im usually exhausted by the time i do anything dumbells. But they try to keep it an actual good gym rather than trying to make a lot of money i guess. And they have a dry sauna and steam room which is pretty random, i think its because it used to be another gym before they came, not sure if any1 uses them or if they work.
So to sum it up:
1 better/different type of equpiment
2 better music, or u can pop ur own cd in usually
3 no roids
4 all serious lifters
5 no douche bags

ionicrod
12-29-08, 1:46 pm
basically 10x as much equipment as club fitness crammed into a smaller place. and more useful stuff like power racks and competition benches, and monolift and a lotta types of bars. and theyre gunna have a buncha strongman stuff outside in the side yard behind the fence soon. Most ppl do usapl and other power lifting meets. So basically a hardcore gym but where no one takes steroids and are drug free. Only downfall is they have 2 full sets of dumbells but they only go to 120-not something I really care about though as im usually exhausted by the time i do anything dumbells. But they try to keep it an actual good gym rather than trying to make a lot of money i guess. And they have a dry sauna and steam room which is pretty random, i think its because it used to be another gym before they came, not sure if any1 uses them or if they work.
So to sum it up:
1 better/different type of equpiment
2 better music, or u can pop ur own cd in usually
3 no roids
4 all serious lifters
5 no douche bags

ha, sounds nice

phlex_ing
12-29-08, 1:58 pm

Ded

LMAO!! yeap that's why i'll go in the a.m this next month. This is my first year in a BIG gym i've always stayed in small gyms because of the number of people.

js71474
12-29-08, 2:38 pm
Lifted at the Y for awhile now but I've always gone at 5 AM....always been a morning person.
It's always been a standing joke every new years as to how many more people we will see in the morning but luckily it usually only increases by 10 or so for 2 weeks.

NPRamirez
12-29-08, 5:48 pm
Hahaha! great thread and followed posts. I have been a serious lifter for maybe 2 years but for 1.5 of them I was using a home gym system, free weights etc. I have not been at a gym long enough to see a new years go by but I like the idea of using it as a recovery week and just tough it out for the next week while it dies down again. Keep the stories comin'.

!NPR!

futurefreak101
12-29-08, 6:02 pm
bro i know what you mean....i see all kinds of lurkers now..watching me do my sets ....sitting in corners staring at me...all kinds of looks...its actually really annoying...i cant stand when people watch my every fucking move in the gym....half of these people dont work out they do a set sit down and talk and stare..its damn annoying...i was using an incline bench today..and some kid literally sat and stared at me for all my sets...when i was done he took the bench and did shoulder press...but damn if you need that shit say something dont just look at me cause you will end up pissing me off.

simpleguy
12-30-08, 1:46 pm
I have only been lifting for 9 months and this will be my first news years in the gym

wow, I never imagined, you're pushing some big weights...

Big C
12-30-08, 2:28 pm
Noticed a new guy in tight sweatpants in there last night practicing his golf swing in the free weight section...really getting into it....blocking a flat and incline bench that I needed to use. Pretty f'in sweet.

jeff00z28
12-30-08, 4:36 pm
Noticed a new guy in tight sweatpants in there last night practicing his golf swing in the free weight section...really getting into it....blocking a flat and incline bench that I needed to use. Pretty f'in sweet.

lol if he wanted to be a chamption might as well lift the weights. i heard tiger woods benches 300 for sets of 10 now

Dedicated2Liftin
12-30-08, 5:26 pm

Wow, I've been trainin' for quite some time, and that's one I've yet to see.

futurefreak101
12-30-08, 5:58 pm
lol i was listening to the radio this morning and this guy goes...yea i ate like 10 oreos last nite soda and some other shit...hes like it goes straight to my stomach ..but hes goes i made up for it this morning cause i did 50 situps...i was like ahhahah

J-Dawg
12-30-08, 6:04 pm
Luckily i'll be training at the U HQ for most of the week that I won't notice any changes in traffic, lol. As long as the machines that I need are open, I really don't mind if there are new faces going to the gym. If anything, I hope some of the newbies to the gyms will be able to stick to it and make the changes that they so badly need for their health.