PDA

View Full Version : Best Meal Replacement Bar

Bullets77
12-29-08, 2:03 pm
I just finished up a 4 year college football career. I always trained and ate for power and mass.

Right now I'm about 6 ft and 230LBS. I have a good amount of muscle but don't look the way that I want. I need to cut down.

I'm starting a new diet in a few weeks and want to incorporate at least one protein bar into it. I know a lot of the so called "healthy" bars are really garbage. Can anyone reccomond one.

Also, what is a decent pre workout meal? This has to be something quick and easy.

Diet is going to look like this:

Meal 1 7:00 AM: Protein Shake (Yogurt,Blueberrys,Bannana,Protein)
Meal 2 10:00 AM: Raw Fruits/Raw Vegetables/Cheese
Meal 3: 1:00 PM: Chicken Breast/ Tuna
Meal 4 4:00: Protein Bar
Meal 5 7:00: (Pre Workout) ???
Meal 6: Protein Shake (Skim Milk, Peanut Butter, Bannana, Protein)

Wasteland
12-29-08, 2:05 pm
I like Proteon Bars.

IRBS
12-29-08, 2:09 pm
I just finished up a 4 year college football career. I always trained and ate for power and mass.

Right now I'm about 6 ft and 230LBS. I have a good amount of muscle but don't look the way that I want. I need to cut down.

I'm starting a new diet in a few weeks and want to incorporate at least one protein bar into it. I know a lot of the so called "healthy" bars are really garbage. Can anyone reccomond one.

Also, what is a decent pre workout meal? This has to be something quick and easy.

You only have about 175g of protien listed out here and really not too many calories either (probably less than 2000). If you are looking to clean up your diet and are cutting out/down carbs (which it looks like from what you listed) you should be upping your fat and protien intake. Do some research here in the diet section and find out what you should do to get on track.

There arent many protien bars out there that I would reccommend if you are looking to clean up your diet. You would be better off with just hitting up another meal instead of a bar.

Just my opinion,
IRBS

Bullets77
12-29-08, 2:16 pm
I was considering adding fish oil in somewhere for a healthy fat. I was hoping to keep the diet around 2000 cals. How much more protein should I be taking in? I'm really not concernd with increasing muscle mass, just loosing fat and maintaining what mass I have now.

IRBS
12-29-08, 2:25 pm
I was considering adding fish oil in somewhere for a healthy fat. I was hoping to keep the diet around 2000 cals. How much more protein should I be taking in? I'm really not concernd with increasing muscle mass, just loosing fat and maintaining what mass I have now.

There are as many different diets as there are people. I would advise you to start reading in the diet section of the Forvm and using the search function.

A good guide to protien is 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight. At 2000 cals and below for your body size, if you are lifting and doing cardio regularly you will wither away to nothing and the muscle you have will go with it.

Do some reading, theres tons of info out there on this stuff.

Enforcer
12-29-08, 2:49 pm

I'd either go with a Proteon Bar or a Dr.'s Carbrite Diet Bar. For a decent preworkout meal I'd go with something light that will get you through your workout. Personally I like to have a can of tuna and a shake prior to training.

C.Coronato
01-13-09, 1:31 pm
I personally like the Hi Protein Bars. choc PB ya boyyy

JUGGERNAUT
01-13-09, 2:56 pm
I like Proteon Bars.

Gotta back wasteland here. They never disappoint and I have been using them for extra cals in my bulk phase now. They are super healthy and the extra GOOD fats are a plus!

strivin for more
01-13-09, 4:48 pm
have you considered maybe making your own bar if youre just wanting a bar meal for convienence?

IronWilson
01-13-09, 5:00 pm
have you considered maybe making your own bar if youre just wanting a bar meal for convienence?

Thats a great idea, here's the best recipe for protein bars that I've found:

Ingredients

3/4 cup pecan meal

3/4 cup almond meal

1/4 cup walnut pieces

2 whole omega-3 eggs plus 2 whites, beaten

6 scoops vanilla Whey Protein

1/4 teaspoon salt

Splenda, to taste (optional)

Instructions

To make the pecan and almond meal, process the nuts in a blender. Mix everything together in a large bowl, and continue stirring until all of the ingredients have mixed together thoroughly. Spread the dough into an 8X8-inch baking dish coated with olive oil cooking spray, and bake for 15 minutes at 350-degrees F.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Difficulty Level: Easy

Servings: 6

Nutritional Information, Per Serving

Calories (k/cal)

Protein (g)

Carbohydrates (g)

fiber (g)

sugars (g)

Fat (g)

C.Coronato
01-14-09, 1:54 pm
wow, now that is something i will try. At a show, some dude mixed honey, PB, and protein, and just smashed it all together. That was his home made protein mush. He packed it into a tupperwear and would dig his fingers in every few minutes before the show.

castilo
01-15-09, 11:26 pm
I like making my protein bar. But it looks like doggy shit but taste plain. I have tried splenda but I dont get how it works? Wont it also spike insulint too?

prowrestler
01-15-09, 11:32 pm
I like making my protein bar. But it looks like doggy shit but taste plain. I have tried splenda but I dont get how it works? Wont it also spike insulint too?

dont hurt yourself bud

simply pour the desired amount of splenda you want onto whatever it is that your eating/cooking.

splenda isnt sugar, its a fake o sugar sweetner. use as much as u want

Little Z
01-15-09, 11:33 pm
dont hurt yourself bud

simply pour the desired amount of splenda you want onto whatever it is that your eating/cooking.

splenda isnt sugar, its a fake o sugar sweetner. use as much as u want

I dunno bro, I think I have over done it a few times with Sweet-N-Low.. can you overdose?

prowrestler
01-15-09, 11:34 pm
I dunno bro, I think I have over done it a few times with Sweet-N-Low.. can you overdose?

u can " retardedly "over dose

Little Z
01-15-09, 11:36 pm
u can " retardedly "over dose

ahhh gotcha.. alright back on task..

for real tho.. it is an artificial sweetener bro.. created FROM sugar.. dont wanna get all complex and heavy here..
but just.. use it.. what do you mean how it works?.. and whats your current MRP bar look like? I know
you said dog shit, but I mean recipe wise..

prowrestler
01-15-09, 11:49 pm
you said dog shit, but I mean recipe wise..

haaaaaa

but ya man, what do u use

hawaiiboy
01-16-09, 1:31 am
Thats a great idea, here's the best recipe for protein bars that I've found:

Ingredients

3/4 cup pecan meal

3/4 cup almond meal

1/4 cup walnut pieces

2 whole omega-3 eggs plus 2 whites, beaten

6 scoops vanilla Whey Protein

1/4 teaspoon salt

Splenda, to taste (optional)

Instructions

To make the pecan and almond meal, process the nuts in a blender. Mix everything together in a large bowl, and continue stirring until all of the ingredients have mixed together thoroughly. Spread the dough into an 8X8-inch baking dish coated with olive oil cooking spray, and bake for 15 minutes at 350-degrees F.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Difficulty Level: Easy

Servings: 6

Nutritional Information, Per Serving

Calories (k/cal)

Protein (g)

Carbohydrates (g)

fiber (g)

sugars (g)

Fat (g)

thanks for the recipe
im making them now

C.Coronato
01-16-09, 10:44 am
hell ya im gonna make them tonight when i get home!