PDA

View Full Version : Weight Belts

JeremyT
12-29-08, 6:52 pm
Alright guys,

First of all I understand that all weight is relative to the lifter, so you will have to bear with my terribly low amounts of weight for my question.

I have been told by various people that its time to get a belt as im beginning to lift heavy weight. I just started weight training about 5 months ago. I started off not being able to dead a pound over 100, squats were at 95 pounds, and my bench was at 80 pounds.

Im currently deadlifting 225, squatting 225 for reps, and my bench is just peaking at 130 pounds. Now i know these are small numbers to all of you guys. But is started off at 130 pounds, 6'3". I was a stick with no muscle. My arms were the same width from my wrists to my shoulders. I'm pushing myself to the limit and beyond, as i was crushed by 235 pounds on the squat bar yesterday three times. Thank god for power racks.

I wanted to know who out there wears a belt, and if its really all its cracked upto be. Also, if you do, which one do you wear and recommend?

Thanks bros!

atrain11b
12-29-08, 7:40 pm
Everyone's gonna have a different view point on this, but heres mine. I don't use "equipment" often. Notice I say often, the reason for this is I don't want to become reliant of it. However, if I am unable to Deadlift because of my grip, but my back can keep going, I strap up.

Same goes for the squats, and the belt. I am currently pushing myself pass my PRs on a 5x5 program, yet I have not belted up. The only time I will belt up, is if I am starting to suffer pain in my lower back, yet if thats the case I check my form first, then readjust. If for some reason the form checks out as good, I may belt up to help me get those last few to push my legs that much farther.

"Equipment" is there for you. I just feel you should only use it in a few occasions. Those ocassions are up to you. I know many lifters who do EVERY pull exercise with straps, and work their grip later, and many who belt up for EVERYTHING, and work the lower back later.

If your getting crushed by the weight, it might all in all be too heavy. I say experiment, check your form, try the weight unbelted, then try it belted. See what works for you! If you still can't do it belted, then lower the weight, and keep pushing unbelted.

Just my 2 cents!

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
12-29-08, 7:43 pm
My 2 cents:

since your lifts are still going up without the belt, dont bother getting one. Continue to build up your core strength by not using a belt. Once those weights become heavy so that your form starts to break down, get a belt, but use it sparingly.

atrain11b
12-29-08, 7:46 pm
My 2 cents:

since your lifts are still going up without the belt, dont bother getting one. Continue to build up your core strength by not using a belt. Once those weights become heavy so that your form starts to break down, get a belt, but use it sparingly.

Well said.

J Wong
12-29-08, 11:07 pm
I just got a powerlifting belt, but I wear it when I break into my heavy sets, I go unbelted on my warm up sets. (I heard that wearing a belt doesn't prevent you from working your core)... Get chalk, not straps. It works your grip, it just prevents your grip from slipping due to sweaty hands.

TigerAce01
12-30-08, 1:44 am
I agree with atrain on this one. Use equipment as needed. I rarely use a belt anymore, even on my heaviest squats and deads. Straps are used usually only for my heaviest DB and BB rows. The only equipment I use regularly are knee wraps for squats, due to my having blown out a knee in the past.

For now, I would say use a belt on certain scheduled PR days when you plan to make a large jump in weight to obtain 1-2 reps. Other than that, stick to what's making you grow, which is obviously no equipment.

theharjmann
12-30-08, 6:01 am
excellent advice here.

just one more thing that some people may not agree with...since you are still quite small and not lifting stupid heavy weights i would stay away from "equipment" for a while yet....you have been only training for 5 months....your joints and core are still adjusting to the rigours of training...stick a belt on and your body will get too used to it and you might probably begin to suffer lower back problems later.

GJN5002
12-30-08, 2:30 pm
I agree with everyone else, but if a belt makes you more confident and feel stronger/safer, I dont see why you couldnt use it. I use mine for squating and deads, thats about it. Make a conscious effort to keep your core tight during excercises and it will be like wearing an internal belt.

IRBS
12-30-08, 2:34 pm
If you want a belt get a belt.

Inzer makes good belts, so does Elitefts.com. Just dont become reliant on it. But if you want one, get it. Its not going to make you any weaker...

stumblin54
12-30-08, 3:05 pm
I only wear a belt on my last one or two working sets. Anything before those and I feel as if I'm taking away from other muscles by not making them work as hard to keep me erect or with good posture.

Stumblin