PDA

View Full Version : Need to find a good deal on weights

Maccabee
12-29-08, 11:47 pm
Hey guys,

I dont have a gym member ship anymore, low on cash etc...

But I do have like 200 bucks on me. I am willing to spend it on a barbell and some weight. I just want to get my moneys worth.

Anyone know where I can find a good deal?

I went on craigslist but I couldnt find anything.

Maccabee
12-29-08, 11:59 pm
All I need is a regular 45 lb bar, 2 45 lb plates, 2 25 lb plates, 2 10 lb plates, 2 5 lb plates.

All I am finding is a 300 lb weight set deal for 400 bucks. Icant afford that at all.

I hope I dont end up buying a bowflex.

At the moment I am training in the park. Doing pull ups, dips, push ups, etc...

Maccabee
12-30-08, 12:31 am
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00615739000P?mv=rr

Thats the best deal I could find.

What do you guys think?

Maccabee
12-30-08, 12:42 am
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00615739000P?mv=rr

Thats the best deal I could find.

What do you guys think?

I looked at the reviews this set sucks.

Please some one help me out. If I keep working out at the park Iam going to lose all my strength and size.

jeff00z28
12-30-08, 5:15 am
check craigslist. especially around February when the weak give up their new years resolutions

Hercules
12-30-08, 8:24 am
The last time I bought an Olympic barbell with weights (300lb set), I paid $129 brand new. The set I got wasn't rubberized or colorful; you don't need that because it just adds to the cost. I'm not sure what sporting goods stores you have up there, but when I lived in NY Dick's used to have decent deals around New Year's. Craig's list is another good one to look at. Check the classified ads in your local paper. The plates don't usually lose weight just because they're used...

Maccabee
12-30-08, 11:16 am
The last time I bought an Olympic barbell with weights (300lb set), I paid $129 brand new. The set I got wasn't rubberized or colorful; you don't need that because it just adds to the cost. I'm not sure what sporting goods stores you have up there, but when I lived in NY Dick's used to have decent deals around New Year's. Craig's list is another good one to look at. Check the classified ads in your local paper. The plates don't usually lose weight just because they're used...

Thanks.

Machine
12-30-08, 2:20 pm
Hey brother...I know how you feel...times is hard on the boulevard. I think the best thing to do is to go to a stone yard or somewhere else where they employ payloaders and earthmovers...and then ask them if you can have an old tire. They usually keep them around because they cost so much to get rid of. Take that to where ever you call home...or just leave it in a fickin alley if you have to...and when its time to train flip that mutherfucker till you puke...rest...then repeat. There are plain few movements that will challenge your entire body like this one will. Also, if you go on the internet gym owners that have surplus weight and bars will often sell you their rusty shit real cheap because it quickly falls out of favor with the soccer moms in the "fitness facilities" And dont be afraid to incorporate some heavy object lifting into your life...get a part time job doing cement demolition...running a jack hammer...doing manual labor...and then consider it part of your daily workload. Another all around tool is a log...whether its the real thing or one of those log simulating bars that you can add weight to...thats an ass kicker. Even if all you can do is swing a sledge hammer or an axe for an hour it has value. Also...I try to get in a thousand pushups and a thousand situps everyday regardless of my weight room activity...it just adds that extra baal buster to my regimen...it works for me. You have to be creative and walk in many worlds these days...I hope this serves you well. - MACHINE

TylerC
12-30-08, 3:25 pm
I hate to reply after Machine has already posted. But i want to second the thing about putting an ad in ur local paper. Houses are filled with old workout equipment that nobody uses. I know a guy that has dumbbells from 5-100 lbs by 5s just sitting in his basement. Theres tons of guys that bought a lot of weight stuff in their 20s and 30s but by the time they got up in their 50s and their kids grew, they didnt have any use for it so it just sits around.

Heck the entire gym i go to (bars, plates, machines, dumbbells to 110s, cardio machines, etc) was up for sale for $13,000 and it's a lot of stuff. You can find a good deal if you just know where to look.

But i do have to respond to machine, a thousand pushups and a thousand situps a day is crazy when you eat like you do and keep a schedule like you do.

Maccabee
12-31-08, 6:08 pm
Hey brother...I know how you feel...times is hard on the boulevard. I think the best thing to do is to go to a stone yard or somewhere else where they employ payloaders and earthmovers...and then ask them if you can have an old tire. They usually keep them around because they cost so much to get rid of. Take that to where ever you call home...or just leave it in a fickin alley if you have to...and when its time to train flip that mutherfucker till you puke...rest...then repeat. There are plain few movements that will challenge your entire body like this one will. Also, if you go on the internet gym owners that have surplus weight and bars will often sell you their rusty shit real cheap because it quickly falls out of favor with the soccer moms in the "fitness facilities" And dont be afraid to incorporate some heavy object lifting into your life...get a part time job doing cement demolition...running a jack hammer...doing manual labor...and then consider it part of your daily workload. Another all around tool is a log...whether its the real thing or one of those log simulating bars that you can add weight to...thats an ass kicker. Even if all you can do is swing a sledge hammer or an axe for an hour it has value. Also...I try to get in a thousand pushups and a thousand situps everyday regardless of my weight room activity...it just adds that extra baal buster to my regimen...it works for me. You have to be creative and walk in many worlds these days...I hope this serves you well. - MACHINE

Thanks for the advice Machine.

My father is a butcher and I work for him carrying around meat and other stuff back and forth. My father does not pay so I cant afford to buy anything at all at the moment.

I will add certain things into my routine though that you spoke off. 1000 push ups and sit ups a day will kill me lol but I will do it from now on. We have a sledge hammer at work all I got to do is get that tire hopefully my Father will let me keep the tire at work there is no way he is going to let me keep it our apartment lol.

Thanks for the tips Machine. I truly appreciate it.

Maccabee
12-31-08, 6:11 pm
I hate to reply after Machine has already posted. But i want to second the thing about putting an ad in ur local paper. Houses are filled with old workout equipment that nobody uses. I know a guy that has dumbbells from 5-100 lbs by 5s just sitting in his basement. Theres tons of guys that bought a lot of weight stuff in their 20s and 30s but by the time they got up in their 50s and their kids grew, they didnt have any use for it so it just sits around.

Heck the entire gym i go to (bars, plates, machines, dumbbells to 110s, cardio machines, etc) was up for sale for $13,000 and it's a lot of stuff. You can find a good deal if you just know where to look.

But i do have to respond to machine, a thousand pushups and a thousand situps a day is crazy when you eat like you do and keep a schedule like you do.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. I know this is only going to last a few months. Once I get a good job every thing hopefully will become consistent.

Machine
01-06-09, 2:16 pm
The thousand pushups and situps are a bitch to get in...but you can break them up throughout your whole day. As long as you get them in. Besides I dont sleep that much these days. - MACHINE

Arbalest
01-06-09, 3:45 pm
Hey guys,

But I do have like 200 bucks on me. I am willing to spend it on a barbell and some weight. I just want to get my moneys worth.

Damn.. I just skimmed your post and was about to post "craigslist" but I just saw you didn't find anything...

BUT, I would still go that route, and just post in the "wanted" section. People will come out of the woodwork. Some will even give them for free just for you to haul them off! Make sure you got a truck, or a buddy that has one.

UNEXPLAINED
01-06-09, 3:50 pm
if u have a dicks sporting goods near u they should have cheap weights, i know n virginia i got a oly bar and 300lbs of plates for 160

prowrestler
01-06-09, 4:14 pm
Hey guys,

www.join-a-gym.com

Maccabee
01-08-09, 1:31 am
Thanks for all the advice and tips.

I just got a bill from school, I saved up 260 bucks but I have to use it for school. I was planning on buying weights, but I guess that will just have to wait.

1000 push ups and sits...Here I come lol..

I have no choice but to train in the parks. Its cold there now but I am sure I will adapt either that or I will just fall apart. I cant let that happen. Peace.

ghost
01-08-09, 8:10 am
Pk, if you have the ability to.... you are more than welcome to come visit us here in michigan and train here for free anytime you want to brother.. other than that, i completely agree with Machine... tire flips will fuck you up! in the best way possible that is... Good luck brother.