PDA

View Full Version : Propers

Preston
12-30-08, 12:45 am
This one goes out to those who refuse to be defined, who look at government forms as a challenge, who see the safe little boxes next to Caucasian and Asian and black and Hispanic and make their own little box labeled all of the above, who scratch out the question entirely and write their own names in large capital letters, who, when forced to choose between male and female write instead " see attached 27-page document detailing why my gender and sexuality will never fit within the confines of your stifling need to define me."

This one goes out to those who fight every day for the simple right to exist: for every gay kid ever beaten up for being gay; for every straight kid ever beaten up for being gay; for every girl who looks into the hungry eyes of magazine models and shouts, " I don't need the body of a skinny 12-year-old-boy to be beautiful! Gaze at my thick thighs with envy! You can't handle the truth!"

For every boy who winces when his friends measure their masculinity by how many girls they screw over and are man enough to call them out for it. For every girl who has screamed "enough!" and marched with her sisters to take back the night from monsters who would rather they stay at home afraid.

For every band geek who picked up a guitar or drumsticks or a French horn instead of a bong, for every poet who picked up a pen instead of a gun and expressed their angers with word and not blood, for every jock who refused to see those physically weaker than them as less than them, and for every teacher who risked their jobs by simply being there when no one else would...

This one goes out to you.

To those who refuse to define themselves by their GPA, by the size of their parents' bank accounts, by the clothes they wear or the music they listen to, to those who demand to be defined by their actions not by their fashions, who can't wait to turn 18 so they can finally vote those idiots out of office, who refuse to be passive consumers in this self-centered nation and throw away their TV's and make their own movies, who throw out their PlayStations and make their own videogames, who teach themselves to play their own music and write their own novels and create their own art.

And most of all...this one goes out to the kid listening right now who thinks I cannot possibly be talking about them, the quiet kid, the one who never speaks, who never raises his voice - or his hand, the one with no friends, who's never been on a date, the one ignored by parents, by teachers, by other kids, yes, this one goes out to you most of all.

Know this...

I understand.

I hear you.

I used to be you.

Don't you let anyone say your voice has no value.

Raise your voice, kid, and don't ever stop.

"Propers - Big Poppa E"

Carpe Diem P.T
12-30-08, 2:38 am
wow - completely awesome. I think everyone here could relate to that in some way, shape or form.

Preston
12-30-08, 10:33 am
wow - completely awesome. I think everyone here could relate to that in some way, shape or form.

Exactly.

andrewT
12-30-08, 5:40 pm
pretty cool there man

wedge
12-30-08, 9:01 pm
Forgive the ignorance, but I'm assuming this is lyrics to a song? Good read nonetheless.

Steelman69
12-30-08, 11:44 pm
Very inspirational piece.

Rhys
12-31-08, 12:59 am
Thanks for posting this, I've never heard of Big Poppa E before. Yeah...I think many of us here can relate to that.

Preston
03-07-12, 10:13 pm
Big Poppa E is a Slam Poet. Ill dude for sure.

C.Coronato
03-09-12, 3:57 pm
Gave me the chills. DOPE words my man. Its a shame society can't think this way. Too many people go unheard and feel the wrath from the bullshit.

Thank you my man.

Wycked
03-20-12, 2:22 am
This one goes out to those who refuse to be defined, who look at government forms as a challenge, who see the safe little boxes next to Caucasian and Asian and black and Hispanic and make their own little box labeled all of the above, who scratch out the question entirely and write their own names in large capital letters, who, when forced to choose between male and female write instead " see attached 27-page document detailing why my gender and sexuality will never fit within the confines of your stifling need to define me."

This one goes out to those who fight every day for the simple right to exist: for every gay kid ever beaten up for being gay; for every straight kid ever beaten up for being gay; for every girl who looks into the hungry eyes of magazine models and shouts, " I don't need the body of a skinny 12-year-old-boy to be beautiful! Gaze at my thick thighs with envy! You can't handle the truth!"

For every boy who winces when his friends measure their masculinity by how many girls they screw over and are man enough to call them out for it. For every girl who has screamed "enough!" and marched with her sisters to take back the night from monsters who would rather they stay at home afraid.

For every band geek who picked up a guitar or drumsticks or a French horn instead of a bong, for every poet who picked up a pen instead of a gun and expressed their angers with word and not blood, for every jock who refused to see those physically weaker than them as less than them, and for every teacher who risked their jobs by simply being there when no one else would...

This one goes out to you.

To those who refuse to define themselves by their GPA, by the size of their parents' bank accounts, by the clothes they wear or the music they listen to, to those who demand to be defined by their actions not by their fashions, who can't wait to turn 18 so they can finally vote those idiots out of office, who refuse to be passive consumers in this self-centered nation and throw away their TV's and make their own movies, who throw out their PlayStations and make their own videogames, who teach themselves to play their own music and write their own novels and create their own art.

And most of all...this one goes out to the kid listening right now who thinks I cannot possibly be talking about them, the quiet kid, the one who never speaks, who never raises his voice - or his hand, the one with no friends, who's never been on a date, the one ignored by parents, by teachers, by other kids, yes, this one goes out to you most of all.

Know this...

I understand.

I hear you.

I used to be you.

Don't you let anyone say your voice has no value.

Raise your voice, kid, and don't ever stop.

"Propers - Big Poppa E"
Amen to this fuckin post

We are all this kid inside but either social pressures or the over inflating of our ego we transform into what society forces us too. Never lose the caring compassionate and loving person u are when your a kid. Fuck ppl and what they think of u. Be u, do what u love to do be what u want and do what u think is right. The key to all of us gettin along and to stop things like bullying and other non sense is to expand ppls consciousness and get them to understand that we are All connected. Stop this mentality ingrained for childhood that we are all individuals. We are not. We r connected to everything on this planet and the bully is not far from the victim they are the same.

Treat ppls th way u want to be treated

Fuck society an it's Norms and measures all are designed to create vicious cycle of damping self worth and making people feel not good enough or feel they are living up to designed expectations.

Preston
03-23-12, 11:59 am
Gave me the chills. DOPE words my man. Its a shame society can't think this way. Too many people go unheard and feel the wrath from the bullshit.

Thank you my man.

I've been a die-hard fan of slam poets for a long time. You should see him speak those words bro, you think you got chills reading it; you gotta watch it. Youtube that shit. It's liberating for those who've been the guy or girl on the bottom of the pile, the one "cool kids" always slammed into lockers, the dude who refused to take showers after gym because he KNEW that he would get made fun of for the way that he is.

I may not be the guy who was Prom king and fucked the sexy senior varsity cheerleader. Who am I? I'm the guy who's been bettered by years of degrading slander. From that I am stronger.

Preston
03-23-12, 12:07 pm
Amen to this fuckin post

We are all this kid inside but either social pressures or the over inflating of our ego we transform into what society forces us too. Never lose the caring compassionate and loving person u are when your a kid. Fuck ppl and what they think of u. Be u, do what u love to do be what u want and do what u think is right. The key to all of us gettin along and to stop things like bullying and other non sense is to expand ppls consciousness and get them to understand that we are All connected. Stop this mentality ingrained for childhood that we are all individuals. We are not. We r connected to everything on this planet and the bully is not far from the victim they are the same.

Treat ppls th way u want to be treated

Fuck society an it's Norms and measures all are designed to create vicious cycle of damping self worth and making people feel not good enough or feel they are living up to designed expectations.

"Words run deep, processed and felt at the heart, acknowledged by the brain."

People say they have nothing to prove to anyone, I have everything to prove to anyone and everyone including myself that I am better than "them," that I can succeed at my goals and the fact that you say I can't or I won't stokes the fire and gets me burning a little brighter. I won't be stopped. I have a future to pave, brick by brick I will become what I want, the image I see fit for me. I can be, I will be. They will see.

G Diesel
03-23-12, 12:29 pm
Profound words and strong sentiment bro. Something to which on varying levels we can all relate. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Peace, G

Preston
03-23-12, 1:10 pm
Profound words and strong sentiment bro. Something to which on varying levels we can all relate. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Peace, G

You're welcome my man, it's perfect for those days when the world is against you.