PDA

View Full Version : Circling the Shoulders while Shrugging

Carpe Diem P.T
12-30-08, 8:10 pm
I havent seen a topic on this in the past year I believe.

So I see some people round the shoulders while shrugging and some people dont.

Things i have been told are: circling shoulders during shrugs opens rotator cuff up to injury.

Something i have read is: All movements should act directly against the force of gravity and therefore any semicircular motion of the shoulders (a common error which can lead to injury) is wasted effort since there is no resistance in the horizontal movement. Can also be done with dumbbells. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezius_muscle)

What are your thoughts>?

AFTazz06
12-30-08, 8:23 pm
Straight up and down is the way to go when it comes to shrugs. Personally, circling while shrugging gives me no feel for the excercise. I like to squeeze straigh up, and then let the traps stretch on the way down till they feel like they're about to tear off my neck. i've known people who circle during shrugging and i can honestly say that ive had more growth on my traps then they have.

shizz702
12-30-08, 9:01 pm
This is how you shrug: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/bill-starrs-5-x-5-program-variation-per-madcow2-thanx-so-here-k-up-now-375215-32.html#post4712284

Carpe Diem P.T
12-30-08, 9:18 pm
thanks for that shizz. i read through it, sussed out the vids. Bit scared of rooting my lower back doing that though. Will try it and see how it goes

shizz702
12-30-08, 9:21 pm
thanks for that shizz. i read through it, sussed out the vids. Bit scared of rooting my lower back doing that though. Will try it and see how it goes

No problem bro, you shouldn't have any problems with your back on them, I can vouche for their effectiveness as I've been hitting them up for a while and my traps do look bigger. They're also really fun to do, very powerful, explosive movement.

simpleguy
12-31-08, 3:29 am
I never circle the shoulders, you don't even feel the exercise that good and it's pretty dangerous on your rcs...

thanks for the link shizz I'm gonna give the power shrugs a try

sanga
12-31-08, 3:48 am
Deadlift as heavy as you can and you won`t need to shrug!

Up and down motion if you want to shrug, circling is a waste of time IMO and experience and hurts.

Elite
12-31-08, 5:33 am
I've never understood where the circling shrug came from. Maybe a Chinese whisper from the old days, shrug totally lost in translation, yet amazing how many people do them. Also hate when people go too heavy or just pull without squeezing their traps. I've found the best way to get a great squeeze and stretch for me, is to bend forward 45• With both wide/close grip cable/hammer strength & barbell movements.

sanga
12-31-08, 6:35 am
Probably from most people doing the exercise wrong same as laterals, most people can`t do these properly.

It amazes me the amount of people in a gym lifting incorrectly.

theharjmann
12-31-08, 8:27 am
2 exercises whereby when i do them actually crunch my rotator cuffs to shreds....its so wierd i can actually hear the shoulder joint crunching! Horrible:

1) Close grip upright rows
2) Rotating Shrugs

I agree with Sanga that deadlifts and heavy back training hits the traps enough, but i just like to shug heavy weight at the end of a delt workout while i'm sipping on my sugar...makes me feel strong lol!

J Wong
12-31-08, 9:55 am
Probably from most people doing the exercise wrong same as laterals, most people can`t do these properly.

It amazes me the amount of people in a gym lifting incorrectly.

What is the correct way to do laterals? I want to make sure I am doing them right.

ionicrod
01-01-09, 1:31 am
ha... I just deadlift for my traps, sometimes I will throw in some shrugs with my deadlifts, but i just pull the weight straight up, i do not like the feeling of rolling my shoulders