PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Pullovers...

Sphinx
12-30-08, 10:49 pm
Anyone here include pullovers at all in their workouts? If so, which muscle-day do they fall on for you?

I myself used to do them on back-day since the website I first found them on had them listed as an exercise for your lats. But it seems every time I do them, I only feel my chest and triceps getting worked out (I know, my elbows do bend a little...) and hardly the back at all. Am I doing something wrong?

thatdude111
12-30-08, 10:56 pm
I do pullovers every so often but whenever I do them they always are done in my chest routine. I always say them as a chest exercise and not a back exercise although I guess they work the lats indirectly.

I do pullovers every other week in my chest routine just because I like to throw some different exercises in my chest routine.

BryanSmash!
12-30-08, 11:17 pm
Try them on chest day one week, then back day the next. Pick whichever day you are stronger on the pullovers.

npeezy
12-30-08, 11:26 pm
Try them on chest day one week, then back day the next. Pick whichever day you are stronger on the pullovers.

On BACK day ill do pullovers standing with a cable and a straight bar. Arms straight and slightly leaning forward....pull down/over and contract the lats and resist the negative...KILLER!!

On CHEST day...once a month or so....ill do dumbbell pullovers on a decline bench making sure to get an almost painful stretch, then contract the way up. I almost have to tuck my chin to my upper pecs and visualize the contraction otherwise i dont get the right feeling in my chest...overall good movement tho!

Pizzalamp
12-30-08, 11:29 pm
i love pullovers
machine pullovers are my favorite-arnold called the machine pullover the best machine u can use in a gym

what i like about the machine pullover is if u are training lats u can train your lats in the midrange position with pullups or pulldowns...and with the machine pullover u can train your lats in the stretched and contracted position

I like how the machine pullover takes your biceps out of the equation and really hits the lats

I like dumbell pullovers as well...ill alternate the 2 week to week...on the week i do dumbell pullovers ill superset them with low rope row or stiff arm pushdowns to hit the stretch and contracted positions...thus working the lat completely

NWSaint
12-31-08, 6:10 am
Well it used to be just on leg-day, per (the book) Super Squats, as a way to stimulate chest expansion via induced air, just one set mind you, immediately following a set of 20 rep squats, takes all that air your gasping for and puts it to work.. BUT, now I do that same '1' set after EVERY workout, but just one set, and 25 reps does it for me (& personally I go laid up against a bench, shoulders on the edge, ass down, straight-arm, dumbell style).. call it a way to 'finish'.

NWSaint.

Gambit
12-31-08, 3:44 pm
I mix them up, using them during chest workouts sometimes or using them during back day. I'd started to focus on the serratus and actually implement them in strategically with occasional ab workouts.

TigerAce01
12-31-08, 4:12 pm
An old school Arnold exercise. I love pullovers.

I ALWAYS end my chest routine with pullovers. I make sure to focus, and not allow the db to drop below the center of my head on the negative, and squeeze intensely at the peak for about three seconds, feeling my entire chest area tighten. For me, this move has allowed for a much greater mind/muscle connection, added much more shape to me pecs, and has even helped with my stature (shoulders back, chest out).

I end my chest workout with 3 sets by 15,12,10. I would suggest the same routine for any guy in the gym.

ionicrod
12-31-08, 7:11 pm
yeah, when these are done at the end of a chest workout... you will know it the next day. They hit the chest unlike any other exercise you do.

Dozer
01-10-09, 1:58 pm
Personally, I believe pullovers are the best upper body exercise aside from deadlifts. I do pullovers like a madman, and they've given me a wider chest, thicker tri's and a denser back than anything else.

Rhys
01-10-09, 8:12 pm
Heavy dumbell pullovers are like squats for the upper body.

MojoMike36
01-11-09, 2:30 am
I hit pullovers whenever really.

Just this past week for example. I felt like I needed an extra something to my routine that would get the hormones flowing since it was an all arms day. So I did 4 sets of heavy slight incline pullovers and it was great.

I feel pullovers in my lats, chest, and serratus anterior. So its something I'll just throw around my split as long as back is rested and chest isn't up the next day.

xMATT182x
01-11-09, 3:05 am
Pull overs are awesome, The stretch and pump it gives is amazing. It packs on mass it seems and i'm sticking with um. One of my favs

C.Coronato
01-12-09, 2:15 pm
i was doing pullovers every chest workout. Its a great chest stretch. Depending on how high and how low you go you will also hit your tris. But also depending on where you lay your gonna hit your back and lats. Move around and get a feel for the bench.

mritter3
01-15-09, 4:40 pm
I like doing them on chest day, i feel a good stretch when i do them

redskin 344
01-15-09, 7:34 pm
If anyone does already know, doing them until eye level will put more tension on the lats and none on the chest

prowrestler
01-15-09, 11:42 pm
If anyone does already know, doing them until eye level will put more tension on the lats and none on the chest

odd, i thought it was the other way around

its mainly on how you use your sholders and where u feel it. its like an experience thing you just know how to make the muscles work more or less.