PDA

View Full Version : DB bench press lockouts

J Wong
12-30-08, 11:32 pm
I noticed some people bring the dumbells all the way up and touch them together on the lockout portion on the DB bench. I just go until my elbows are pretty much locked out all the way or all the way. How do you do it? Does one have a benefit over the other?

believe in the dream
12-30-08, 11:34 pm
I almost never lock out anything. I've found it to be much better as it keeps constant tension on the muscle and never moves the weight to your joints. The same can be said about the low point of a lift. I have found more success with using only the middle range of motion than I did while doing full range lifts.

Steelman69
12-30-08, 11:50 pm
I almost never lock out anything. I've found it to be much better as it keeps constant tension on the muscle and never moves the weight to your joints. The same can be said about the low point of a lift. I have found more success with using only the middle range of motion than I did while doing full range lifts.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Locking out is so 1985.

J Wong
12-30-08, 11:52 pm
Well I wasn't sure, when I do touch the dumbells together at the top of the lockout, I can feel a pinch in my chest with more of a contraction.

Steelman69
12-31-08, 12:11 am
Well I wasn't sure, when I do touch the dumbells together at the top of the lockout, I can feel a pinch in my chest with more of a contraction.

If you can develop a good mind, muscle connection, you will get that strong contraction without a hard lockout. That will make your workouts much more productive anyway. (A good mind, muscle connection that is).

Aggression
12-31-08, 12:21 am
If you can develop a good mind, muscle connection, you will get that strong contraction without a hard lockout. That will make your workouts much more productive anyway. (A good mind, muscle connection that is).

Exactly. This is what I do. I bring up the DB's to near lockout and squeeze the chest real hard at the top, but never fully locking out.

The Underdog
12-31-08, 3:30 am
I agree. I've noticed I get a better pump and better gains by maintaining a solid chest contraction and constant tension, not creating a set of rules for range of motion that I need to attain.

ionicrod
01-01-09, 1:27 am
Yeah, I am agreement with what everyone is saying, I do not lock out on exercises, and definitely not on dumbell press. I loooove that constant tension, just pushing the blood into the muscle.

TigerAce01
01-01-09, 2:14 am
I really like what Steelman69 is saying. A strong mind/muscle connection is barely even known beyond most advanced lifters. It is a crucial part of lifting. The reason why most guys can't get a good pump with really heavy weight is because there is no mind/muscle connection there. Anyone can do 50 reps and get a pump. It takes a lot of focus and connection to get the same pump with 8-10 reps.

To answer your question, I say the same as everyone else, no lockouts.

bigffmike
01-01-09, 8:59 am

I was locking out until I read this. It makes good sence not to lock out even if it is from the 80's.. Thanks for the info.